JW Player Reviews

JW Player

The web's most popular video player

Review Summary

Joe H.

Read the full review
Its nice flash video player for your own site or blog. Customizable and and also have free version which is good.

Danish S.

Read the full review
This player is the one of outstanding player that i ever had.

Read the full review

Cons

It does not work very well. More "YouTube-like" when it comes to adding a clickable link to me, is a key component missing.

Bryan C.

Read the full review
No real problems experienced at the time of use. Have not tried in recent years.

Tom B.

4.0

Jw player

My experience with the jw player is nice due to the fact that its easy to edit media files the way i want

Pros

I like the fact that the software was designed to play all types of media files

Cons

The design is poorly done which makes it less attractive

Localized Playback: How JW Player Affects the Online Viewing Experience for Foreign Websites

I have limited usage with JW Player, due to only having really used it on platforms such as the Canada Exclusive Global Network TV website and Japan's NicoVideo (following the upgrade to their player circa 2015), alongside local news stations that also use it for their websites; in the time that I have used it, it is heavily considered by me to be a media player that works but must not be considered...

Pros

~ Capable of reasonably decent playback of video footage in plentiful formats and resolutions. ~ Easy adoption for online platforms in plentiful countries. ~ Continued development helps refine the player for future API updates to websites and also improves overall stability.

Cons

~ Loading Times for Online Video playback can sometimes cause serious hanging that requires the user to press Play/Pause; once to pause the video, and once again to re~enable the register that allows for the video to load. This happens even on the fastest of Internet connections. ~ Inexplicable Crashes and Error Screens that abruptly stop playback, which can happen even on video files that are not...

JW Player does not work correctly for the international audience

In 2016 we signed with JW Player for medical education videos. Our clients were international. JW Player will not load for the majority of them. Just a buffering sign will stay on the screen. Students will purchase the product, not able to watch they will ask for a refund. We had a small team, we will work the whole day long with the customers and JW Player's support to individually figure out the...

Pros

Great support. (They need it though, considering the bad product.)

Cons

They will get you in a year long contract. Product will not work for the international customers. You will have to refund, support, and have your support team be consumed with JW Player issues all the time. However, JW Player will continue to bill you with their less than ethical pricing and billing behavior.

JW_Player

Will continue to use JW Player to test creative. There's no reason not to when everything is straight forward.

Pros

Super easy to use. I always provide the Ad Tester tool to first time users when they need to test creative. The Ad Tester does track quarile tracking and will display companions.

Cons

The UI could be updated. It's not very aesthetically pleasing. With the simplicity of the software it's probably not high on the roadmap.

My Experience On JW Player

I am an undergraduate Engineering student and I used to watch movies, music videos and also listen to the music usually. So this JW player is the software I had chosen for that because it has many options to ease my settings as I wish and also it very eye favorable.

Pros

I am a music and film lover. So I used to watch movies all the time and also usually I used to listen to music and I am huge interested on watching music videos. So this JW Player helps me to watch movies, Music videos online as well as downloaded ones. It is very easy to handle and also the interface is very attractive and very eye favorable.

Cons

I am using this JW player for more than 2 years till now but I did not get any bad impression on this.

Player is awesome, platform can be pricing/limited

Great player, make sure you look around if you're not a company that's OK spending a lot of money on the platform if you choose to use JW platform.

Pros

They've come a long way, staying up-to-date with best practices, and we haven't had a problem with our videos for years now. Very stable and highly recommended.

Cons

They're player is great and would use it any day, their platform is fairly limited in storage and plays etc without paying high enterprise rates that every year we have to negotiate to keep it where we are, the prices seem to skyrocket.

Worst Customer Service Ever

Horrible. We tried to cancel, they just simply won't allow it. Over 6 months after sending cancellation emails they are still charging the credit card. When I tried to contact them regarding it, they sent very rude responses and I feel like they are stealing our money at this point.

Pros

The end of use customer service was so bad, I can't even state something I liked about it. This horrible experience overshadowed everything.

Cons

The customer service was horrible!!!!!!!!

Promising

Pros

It is one of the fiercest competition to youtube integration on other websites out there and that's a fact I appreciate.

Cons

I do dislike that you're being limited quite a lot with it. Also the fact that your link cannot be downloaded isn't so great.

Very easy to implement and customize

It's our video player of choice on one of our main websites, and it has proved to be flexible enough to do anything we need it to.

Pros

This may have been the easiest implementation of a tool I've ever experienced. Beyond that, it's so easy to use, you barely have to think about it after a while.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like. We really haven't run into any problems at all.

JW Player is the best in its class, but is it good enough?

Pros

JW is the #1 solution for most companies who make it a priority to host videos on their own servers. Users can track the video's analytics, similar to the YouTube analytics page, as well as customize the video players.

Cons

However, there are some negatives. The website is sometimes hard to navigate, given the wealth of features. Also, you have to take into account the costs that come with having a feature-rich account. You have to wonder, is hosting your own videos with custom video players really worth the cost of using JW Player?

Daily user of JWPlayer

I think it does exactly what it is setup to do. Manage and host video.

Pros

It does what it's suppose to do, manage video and audio. They have made improvements on the analytics and that has been helpful.

Cons

I would like to see "podcast" functionality to the site. Wherein someone can download the podcast if they wanted to. Manage podcasting better. Video, they are desperate for an EASY way to add clickable functionality to the videos we upload. Right now it is cumbersome and awkward. It does not work very well. More "YouTube-like" when it comes to adding a clickable link to me, is a key component missing

This was my video player of choice until recently

Pros

I used JWPlayer for many years in our custom applications. From back in the Flash days and well into the HTML 5 craze, this player served us well. It's extremely robust and the API is better than any other player I've used which makes it a great choice for customization.

Cons

After buying a license several years ago, I find an email last month in my spam folder from Longtail informing me they would start charging me monthly. For what? They were not hosting my media files and I wasn't even using their CDN. I had a few other less than pleasant experiences with their support team so I finally decided to drop JWPlayer.

We've been using JW Player for years, I'm glad its still alive

JW Player allows us to display an array of content on our sites

Pros

It's nice to still use JW Player and have one of the more old school media softwares still alive and well. We still use it to this date and it works well.

Cons

I wish it were a little more compatible with shopify and other big ecommerce platforms, takes a little longer to implement.

Promising Player

Pros

- Reliable player for contents from flash era to current HTML 5 era. - Video analytics similar to YouTube analytics. - Videos of a business are protected, and can be host in local servers.

Cons

- Price is on the high side. - Does not play 4K content properly.

Misleading Promises

Pros

Nothing really differentiates this product from other options that are available. You can do much better for less money and fewer headaches.

Cons

They sell that they are "business" ready, there servers are on blacklists for adult content, their policy is they don't have any, but try telling that to your client that won't allow you content through their firewall. When I discuss it with them, they won't move the servers or do anything about it.. To add insult to injury, after cancelling they still renewed my annual subscription and I now need to fight to get that charge fixed.. A big bag of headaches.

jw player

generally it reduces the damage of your content like videos being taken without your permission

Pros

it is a great software especially if you want to protect you content online like videos from unauthorized downloads it makes it more difficult for people to take content on your blog without your permission

Cons

however it does not completely secure your content there can still be unauthorized downloads if people use some other tools on your site

Easy to deploy web player

We use this to play some instructional videos on our webpage for FAQ questions.

Pros

It's pretty easy to deploy JW Player and it runs many video formats.

Cons

From the user perspective, there are some "skins" that are not so clean but this is easy changed.

Easy to use and implement Video Player for websites

Pros

JwPlayer always stays up to date with the newest technologies including, streaming of videos and different codecs. Makes it easy to implement multimedia playback on websites and mobile apps.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little difficult to setup advanced features with JWPlayer. Hopefully, they will come out with a standard for DRM protection of videos.

Good

Pros

It has clear view of a hd videos and easy to use

Cons

It has clear view of a hd videos and easy to use

video player for your site

Pros

Cons

Can be more customizable. Paid version is expensive. Need more improvements. Customer support can be better

I have used this project for playing Hi-Rezsfootage for my clients .

Pros

It was easy to download and has a logical interface and a lot of additional features that I wouldn't expect from a video player .

Cons

A number of formats I tried seem to quite clunky and did not play back as smoothly as I hoped . When introducing 4K, the problems got worse .

JW Player

Pros

Plays almost any video format you throw at it. Easy to use implementation tools. Very stable.

Cons

I have not come up against any cons yet.

A really great video software

I've used by friends copy once and it was really outstanding, I would consider buying if I did more video work, but this is the real deal with massive amounts of content editing features! You should really try it, its worth your time

Delivers Much Less Than Advertised

This promotion was misleading. It's 50 videos* or 25GB of files, whichever comes first. ALSO, JW uses your tiny storage to store your video and other data JW uses in order to function. So if you have 2 videos that are 2GB each, you'll be using up almost 8GB of your storage. Worst part is I've reached out for support twice and haven't heard back. Wishing I had gone with Vimeo or IBM or anyone but JWPlayer.

Pros

The price seemed to be the only thing JWPlayer had going for it. For 60/year I could host 50 videos*.

Cons

Storage caps at 50 videos or 25GB. A 2 GB video takes up almost 4GB of storage for some reason. Zero customer support.

Extremely good

Pros

This player is the one of outstanding player that i ever had. Pretty features. Easy to use and also high quality application. There are many features have to entertainment your feeling . Great job.

Cons

Nothing to say about least things in this application.