On-Screen Takeoff Logo

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.45/10

Reviews by rating

The Customer Tech help is absolutely outstanding. I am so pleased with every interaction I have had with your company.
We like most that it is pretty user-friendly and easy to train on. The Customer Support has been amazing every time we've called.
The ease of use for this software is one of the important features that it has. You do not need to have all the technical knowledge regarding estimating for using this.
This product suffers from the same thing that plagues most other takeoff software. The loading times to open a project with a lot of items taken off are high.
Sometimes the databases can crash, losing hours of work. Another feature I wish it had was preconstructed conditions so you wouldn't have to build them.

Jeffrey E.

CEO

Be Here Now

Transcript

Jeffrey E.: My name's Jeff. I'm a senior estimator. I give On-Screen Takeoff a five out of five, qualified....

TH

Tamera H.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Preferred over Plan Swift

I work in multi-family construction and need to be able to do quick conceptual estimates and the later detailed estimates that require more takeoff. I've been using OST for the takeoff for the last 11 years. I love it.

Pros

OST is easy to get up and running. It's intuitive and user friendly. I was recently introduced to PlanSwift - a competitor to OST and it was overly complicated. It was hard to figure out how to go in and just take the SF of a room. With OST it's a breeze to take a simple measurement or do more extensive takeoff without needing an owners manual or even a tutorial.

Cons

Is the difficulty in naming sheets that are imported in. It's cumbersome and time consuming. It also makes it hard to relink to a different folder location. The high cost for a single license is prohibitive to the freelance estimator and forces us to use alternative programs that aren't as efficient. I wish there was a way to make it cheaper for sole proprietorship businesses in the construction industry.

RS

Ryan S.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Custom Home Builder Review

I love OST it can be used in so many different ways it's my favorite program for manipulating just about any type of file.

Pros

OST is flexable software, meaning it can be manipulated to conform to any/every trade. It is an amazing tool that makes any estimators take-off portion of the job quick and easy.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about OST, but... - some times I could more color selections differentiation for take-off conditions - Also it would be nice if i could freeze dimension takeoffs to either only move vertically or latterally respectively. - Also if dimensions could be a default layer separate from annotation that would be awesome. Sometimes i want to have annotations but do not need the dimensions and i have to delete all the dimensions on the page to only show the annotation that i want.

JU

Jeffrey U.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Misleading Company

Pros

Nothing is wrong with the software. I only have a problem with their unfair policy and practices.

Cons

I was promised that the on-center takeoff software could work with their cloud platform Oasis before I purchased. I found out afterwards this wasn't true. But their policy was not to refund although they made a promise that was false showing they value money over principles. Very misleading and I am sickened by the way they do business. Be very careful when dealing and purchasing their products. Better yet don't get involved in the first place.

CB

Chris B.

Warehousing, 1-10 employees

On Screen Takeoff the Equilizer

The On Screen Takeoff program along with the support provided by On Center is a great combo for anyone looking to standardize and get better control of their takeoff and bids. My experience has been nothing but the best from Training, to implementation, and support throughout the past few years.

Pros

Allows me to constantly and quickly take off plans that used to take all day to provide.

Cons

The software has been awesome for me in many ways but I wish it was more report friendly for people who are working outside of the standard databases and reporting schemes. I had to build my database from the ground up and how we export and report that information isn't typical for OST. Trying to build custom reports and exports has been challenging but On Center support was always there to help or at least let me know that I have hit a dead end.

TC

Tim C.

Satisfied Customer

I've used OST for 10 years and overall satisfied. I think for the annual service fee, there should be more upgrades than once every 2 years or so. We have used tech support maybe once a year if that and the owner of the business doesn't think that justifies the annual cost.

Pros

It's easy and quick to use and easy to train others. I like and use the overlay function a lot. I also like the intelligent paste function as well for repetitious items.

Cons

Only 1 overlay possible, needs ability to remove the original plan and add an additional overlay as plans change (i.e.,80% dwgs to 90% dwgs to final dwgs. The 90% supersede the 80% and now we have final. A new bid file has to be created and the takeoff copied to the new file for adjustments) Database bogs down on very large projects Auto count feature doesn't work very well on scanned plans

LL

Les L.

Construction, 11-50 employees

The best takeoff I have ever used.

I have been using On-Screen Takeoff for about 16 years and I have always been impressed with the ease of use, support and the upgrades that have been made through the years. I can do a takeoff of a large commercial building in a fraction of the time it would take me to do it with a ruler or takeoff wheel and it is extremely more accurate. I am able to bid a lot more work with the On-Screen Takeoff program. Another benefit is you end up with a color-coded plan that you or someone else such as a project manger can look at and see what you did.

Pros

Its easy to learn to use and if you get stuck on something the support staff are there to help and they have never laughed at my dumb questions.

Cons

I don’t know if there is anything I don’t like about it, but I wish you could copy text or images from a plan sheet and past them into a word document.

JM

Jaime M.

Construction, 11-50 employees

As an estimator this program makes my life much easier. Can breakdown my estimate any way I want.

It not possible to mention them all here. Better accuracy in our estimates. Greater flexibility with our estimates too. Can change conditions very easily if necessary. Our field personnel loves it too. Were able to print all of the plans from any project and breakdown the estimate by floor or zone or phase.

Pros

This program is great for our office and field personnel. Both can see the entire scope of work to be performed and know where each condition is to be applied on each floor of our jobs. Allows for better management of our labor hours and cost accounting too!

Cons

That I cannot download it on my iPhone! I have absolutely no complaints, I love, I use it everyday and I enjoy all of the features too! Just wish I could take it with me everywhere I went.

MA

Muhammad A.

Construction, 51-200 employees

When you need a simple and easy to use takeoff program

We use OST to count items on landscape plans we get the plans from the landscape architect and civil engineer, we import them and count the conditions then after that we take the counts from excel and price every line in excel OST has a feature to do that but not as easy to mainupulate

Pros

What I like about OST is it’s easy to use you can get the hang of the Badi oh very quickly and it helps you count items onscreen from a pdf plan or TIFF file. Measures distances, counts and areas.

Cons

Sometimes it freezes on some plans that are heaven such as a lot of counts (over 6000) items on on plan, and crashes even when it can’t convert a file from a civil engineer

AC

Angelo C.

Great program; been using it since 2003 and convinced the current company I work for to implement.

Pros

I like being able to organize areas and zones as well as share takeoff packages with associates who estimate different divisions.

Cons

I HATE having to rename pages one at a time that are combined; your competition has this feature that does it automatically (and its much cheaper)-you guys should have had this a long time ago. If this feature does exist in OST; please contact me to cure my stupidity.

es

eric s.

Best takeoff option available

Very good, I've been using it at various companies since 2007 and have no interest in any other option so long as it works so well.

Pros

Very easy to learn and use, K.I.S.S. Quick to use Doesn't require too much computer power

Cons

Printing to PDF using conventional bluebeam and/or adobe drivers doesn't work very well and we needed to buy an after market print driver to circumvent this issue.

MS

Muhammad S.

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Easy to use but has an upfront cost

So far it has been a very useful and easy program to use you can break down items based on categories you want and have sub categories it Also has a built in labor and price calculator if you want to use it. i usually count in OST then take it to excel.

Pros

OST is a very easy to use tool to do take offs with and what we like most about it is : 1- Fast Counts for areas, Linear feet, And counts. 2- you can overlay different versions of the plan on top of each other the old will be red and new blue that way you can see purple if noting changed or moved and blue if something changed. 3- easy to export to excel or other programs. 4- quick click links so you can jump between plan and detail fast.

Cons

1-2 people cant be in the same file at the same time and edit. 2- gets laggy with larger files and count items ( over 700 in one page from what i have seen) 3- Price. 4- cant Layer more than 2 drawings at the same time

JL

John L.

Utilities, 1-10 employees

Poor customer service.

I have been an On-Screen Takeoff user since 2008. The program is well designed, but the company has made the program non-macintosh user-friendly. I used the program in a Virtual Environment without issue for 8 years, and then OST stopped allowing the program to be utilized in a virtual environment (Parallels Desktop). They now require you to have a Windows Machine running License Manager (at all times) to utilize their product. Simply unacceptable. They have no regard for their Customer.

Pros

The product is well designed and easy to use (except for the what is necessary to run the program on a virtual environment).

Cons

Cannot run the program in a Virtual Environment.

GL

Gabriel L.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

On-Screen Takeoff review Electrical

My daily use of the software has made me appreciate the ease of use and reliability of the product. I can trust the software to provide me with accurate counts and footage for my electrical estimating.

Pros

The easy use of the software, plus any questions are easily linked to a video showing you your answer. If the answer is not available online, a simple phone call to great customer service will provide direction and resolution of any questions or problems.

Cons

Currently I have had no complaints with the software, it works great!

LP

Luke P.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Best takeoff software on the market today

Before buying I compared this, E-Takeoff, Planswift, and Bluebeam takeoffs. This was hands down the best option.

Pros

Easy and intuitive to use. Some examples are- same copy paste functions as every other windows program, bulk copy (multiple takeoffs), fast plan loading, and a user interface that flows nicely.

Cons

Somewhat complicated to learn, the overall process makes sense, but you need to follow the steps to the letter.

KS

Kristen S.

Great Estimating Program!

Keep up the good work On Screen! I would like to see more added features and additional updates more than just once or twice a year.

Pros

This program is also... easy to learn, easy to use, easy to train on! All that you need to complete accurate takeoffs for bidding is available in one software package! Purchase this product, you will not be disappointed! Intelligent paste function is awesome and great to use for repetitive items.

Cons

I would more colors to differentiate areas when I am doing take offs and more overlays should be possible. There are always so many plans and revisions and only allowing one overlay makes it difficult at times to provide an accurate takeoff without doing the work twice.

BS

Brian S.

On-Screen Takeoff for Estimators

I use it almost everyday of the week for all my 2D takeoff. Roadwork's paving, kerbing (curbing), stormwater, sewer and water reticulation takeoffs just to name a few. Very easy to use once you set up some basic library items. It also has the capability of downloading directly into my Estimating Software.

Pros

Ease of use - lengths, areas - or both at the same time.

Cons

Needs a better custom scale box - the one it has is "clunky".

NM

Nicolas M.

Construction, 51-200 employees

OST new feature to change page names, needs a lot of work just takes forever about 10 minutes to change name in 35 pages and after is finish is not even right.

thinking of possible move to Planswift

Pros

i been using it for ten years OST Takeoff and Quick bid it seems to work fine but i just require substantial time to synchronize both products

Cons

to expensive and you have to use quick bid to complement the product, data does not work seamlessly with Masterbuilders 100

RG

Ray G.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Very positive experience with the program and support

Pros

menu driven and easy to follow. Every time I have a problem and call support I get a good response and the problems solved.

Cons

arc feature when doing areas. The program does not support arc creation by pinpointing the arc intersects when doing area, we have to plot points along the circumference.

BB

Brandon B.

Review of OST

Excellent tool for accurate compilation of quantities from pdf's. I highly recommend this to high volume estimators such as myself!

Pros

Ease of Use, Speed and Accuracy for Estimating Purposes

Cons

Updates and changes from previous versions of the software I've used took a little bit for me to get used to.

CS

Chris S.

Can't work with out it.

seeing is believing.

Pros

Simple and intuitive. quick and accurate pricing in QB.

Cons

Need the be able to order material through quick (send PO) and track inventory. Quick books integration for job costing. Hot link within a hotlink. scale function in 2nd window.

DC

Don C.

On Screen Review

I use On Screen every day performing concrete estimating. On Screen allows me to move swiftly through my take offs saving valuable time.

Pros

That you can dump directly into a spreadsheet

Cons

needs to be a little easier to simply write words or notes on the drawings.

BF

Brandon F.

Commercial Real Estate, 10,001+ employees

An Easy to Use Takeoff Software

I have been using On-Screen Takeoff for several years now and I really enjoy using it. It is easy to set up conditions and perform the takeoff. I enjoy that you can break your takeoff out by areas and you can even create folders for the different areas of the takeoff. This works well for breaking out by CSI, or whichever WBS you may use. Also, OST can store data in Access databases that can be set to backup on a schedule. I personally like how quickly I can bring my drawings into the software and how quickly they load once in the program. Overall I have been using OST for several years now and I would recommend it to the construction professional.

Pros

Ease of use Ability to create libraries of commonly used conditions Customer support Fast Loading Ability to transfer data to other estimating software Ability to export to excel Ability to share entire takeoff file with other professionals

Cons

Cannot currently import an excel document with conditions to create a library Cannot trace drawing lines automatically

MS

Maria S.

Easiest for take-offs!

Pros

I liked the ability to organize and derive quantities in different ways. One line item can yield several quantities in different units of measurement. You can also organize information by level, segment... You can also store your custom line items in a library for future use.

Cons

The program works best pulling from files saved on your C drive, but I would prefer to team to work from a centralized location, not from each individual's C drive on their computer.

MM

Matthew M.

Construction, 11-50 employees

On Screen Take off has taken bidding to a whole new level!

Keep up the great work! I enjoy seeing the added features in the updates and you guys cease to amaze me!

Pros

The software is easy to use and learn and offers almost all the functions I need to complete a takeoff. The time and money saved by using this program can be clearly seen and makes my job fun!

Cons

I really don't have many negative things to say about the software, all of my issues have been address via the support staff!

EA

Efrain A.

On Screen Take Off Review

Very good

Pros

Very Easy to Use. It is the first take off tool that I ever used and have had no problem.

Cons

Some times no intuitive enough. It is the First Take Off tool I use so sometimes it was hard to find a common function.