Pendo Reviews

Pros

Pendo is a fantastic tool to understand how your users are interacting with your product. I like the ability to track clickable elements and page visits within our tool.

Elizabeth B.

Overall, very pleased with how quickly you can gain insights about how your products are being utilized.

DF

Dana F.

JG

Jennifer G.

Cons

We have apps so need better tool. And terrible biz practice trying to scam more money from customers.

ML

Mark L.

You are not able to clone guides across multiple instances, which is a bit of a pain when trying to push the same message to a few audiences.

BH

Breda H.

TH

T.M. H.

Combines good product analytics with in-app guides and NPS tracking. And that's killer.

We now use it across several products in the MailUp Group (https://mailupgroup.com). For example, beyond using it for product analytics, we were able to stop using other applications for both in-app guides and NPS tracking, and we now use Pendo for that both in MailUp (https://www.mailup.com) and BEE Pro (https://beefree.io). It's certainly not inexpensive, but it gives the Product and Product Marketing teams tools that are crucial to their work. So, money well spent in my view.

Pros

What's unique and really useful about Pendo is that it combines product analytics, in-app guides & Net Promoter Score tracking, all under one roof. This allows you to show custom messages just to certain audiences (e.g. I see that some customers did not yet try feature ABC, so I show them a Guide to trigger adoption), and see NPS scores for different segments of users (e.g. what's the NPS for customers that never use feature ABC? What's the score for those that use feature ABC all the time?). That provides incredible insights.

Cons

First of all let me say that the company has come a long way. Pendo is growing a ton and it shows. They're constantly improving the platform, so we're confident that flaws will be corrected over time. That said, in our experience setting things up takes some time (and the concept of "Feature" is not immediately clear to newcomers: it actually means "UI element"), and until recently there were some annoying productivity issues (e.g. you could not quickly clone a segment, resulting in potentially lots of repeat tasks just to create two similar segment of users: now this has been resolved!). Improvements still need to be made for multi-language applications (e.g. different Guides for different users that speak different languages).

Great product

Very good. The team were highly attentive and supportive. Has been a really enjoyable project getting this set up and running with benefits almost immediately.

Pros

It is a significant investment, but so many benefits, it is worth it. The software is very easy to integrate with (for standard web apps) to start getting analytics immediately but you do need a role that focuses on this as their day job to drive the most value from it. The guides are easy to set up and flexible too with lots of templates to help get you started quickly. Having worked in product management for over 25 years the discovery of Pendo was a godsend! Wish had discovered it years before.

Cons

Works well for standard web apps. If your app doesn't change URL for each page you visit then there may be issues tracking at volume. Not insurmountable but needs more time, thought.

Another Way to Communicate with Your Audience

Pros

I love using Pendo guides any time we have an announcement or updates so that I can ensure our members are in the know in case they didn't see/read an email. Pendo is pretty easy to use once you learn it and I love the ability to segment your audience as well since we have different membership levels. There are also ways to track user behavior which definitely helps us when it comes to how we market to certain membership levels.

Cons

For the purposes I use it for, I haven't really experienced anything that I would change this far!

Shop around

I've used Pendo a couple times over the period of roughly a year. Both of the time that we tried to deploy an NPS survey on our product we had some significant bugs. The first, we had a Opt Out list that some of our admins requested to be on (they didn't want to receive the survey). Pendo experienced a bug in which our survey in fact was seen by some of those accounts. This most recent time I've...

Pros

The UI is modern and appealing

Cons

The software is inconsistent, buggy and unpredictable.

A great tool to refine product engagement

Pros

We use Pendo for user onboarding and it's worked like a charm. It's super easy to implement and define which users to target.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment. It's worked perfectly during the duration we have used it.

Love having Pendo for analytics AND product feedback. Game changer

Pros

I couldn't live without Pendo Feedback now that I've been using it. It makes collecting and organizing product feedback and feature requests so easy and I love how visible it is to the whole organization. I'm the only Product Manager at our company so having tools to help automate and organize product requests for all of our products is a life saver. I also really appreciate how easy it was to setup usage analytics and how little engineering effort it took. Since it has been setup, I haven't needed engineering for anything related Pendo and can do everything on my own.

Cons

No complaints or major issues with their analytics or feedback products.

Pendo Brings the Insights

Pendo has been fantastic for us. Within just a few months from implementation, we've been able to gather information on our users' behavior that we've never had before. Gaining this insight has opened our eyes to so many more questions and opportunities for our company to grow and thrive.

Pros

This software is incredibly robust and easy to use. Usually you have to trade one for the other, but not with Pendo. I am able to easily get behavioral analytics as well as launch in-app guidance with the click of a button!

Cons

We are a multi-app/single platform company, so some of the features that are geared towards single-app don't work out of the box for us. However, Pendo support and Pendo pro-services teams have been AMAZING and have found ways to accommodate my needs every time.

NPS, Guides, Feature Releases

I have enjoyed it a lot, very useful onboarding process by their CS team, the guides are intuitive to create, and we have seen a real improvement in adaption, lowering churn and increasing "no touch" sales

Pros

My favorite things about Pendo is creating interactive guides to help people understand how to use our product. This onboarding helps drive a lot of "no touch" sales and the guides are intuitive to create. The NPS is also great to get a status quo on how our users are enjoying the product.

Cons

I wish it was a bit easier to navigate the analytics of the guides. It is also tough to keep the guides active and working properly when you are releasing new features in your product, which skews the analytics if one guide step does not show and stops the guide.

Used at Multiple Companies / Highly Recommend

Pros

Pendo is a great tool. It is easy to use and helps executives start tracking the right metrics (instead of guessing at what is important). It also scales your support organization with automated onboarding and educational opportunities for users.

Cons

Sometimes the reports bug-out, but the support team is quick to respond. Additionally, there is no way to communicate with users OUTSIDE your application ecosystem (i.e. email). If a user isn't engaged with your software, you have to go into a different system in order to get re-engagement.

Powerful!

I wasn't initially involved in setting this up, so I was super hesitate when the team said the NPS tool was going to change. I couldn't be happier - this is a powerful tool!

Pros

I use the NPS feature of Pendo daily. The rest of my team uses this tool for our onboarding. We recently moved from Delighted to Pendo and I couldn't be happier! Easy to see our NPS score change over a set period of time, as well as see users comments and score.

Cons

So I only use the one feature while my team makes full use of the rest of the tool. There are really no negatives other than it's overwhelming at first as there are so many useful features. Take time to learn so you can get the most from Pendo.

An incredibly valuable product with powerful applications

Overall, our experience with Pendo has been phenomenal. They've helped us increase product adoption through improved communication methods, manage and analyze NPS, and track user behavior with greater specificity than we could previously. It's a powerful, comprehensive tool. Some specific features in Pendo can be somewhat complicated to learn but once you get the hang of them it's not bad. Sometimes Support doesn't have the answers immediately but they always work diligently to resolve any issues quickly. While much of the tool is intuitive to non-engineers, having a basic handle on CSS and JS is beneficial, as is knowing how to interact with the API.

Pros

In terms of providing user behavior/engagement data—Pendo is unparalleled. We get so many insights into how our clients use our Product which can be applied during discovery and engineering and factor into our release strategy. It allows us to communicate with our clients in-app in strategic and sophisticated ways and with results far beyond what we get through email. Its NPS tool is worth the cost of the application alone.

Cons

While a lot of stuff works intuitively out of the box, there's a slight learning curve with a number of Pendo features. There are many steps to building a guide, and the location of specific features/guide settings within the UI isn't always straightforward (some things a user might think fall under "guide activation", for example, are not set in the "guide activation" section). Additionally, having...

Still learning, but loving it

We jumped into investing the use of the Pendo platform believing it would help us better understand our customers and raise our engagement with them. We've been very please with the ability to do that as well as enhance the experience of our application to our customers and customize communications and interactions that have never been possible in our software.

Pros

Even before the software, I've been very impressed by Pendo's customer support model. The proactive interaction we received in onboarding and ongoing support has been something I've consistently referred back to our own client services team as a model for how things are done. They have multiple team members accountable to different actions/experiences with us and they do it in a fluid fashion where...

Cons

There are some small quirks that we haven't worked our way around yet. We get a lot of community feedback from the Pendomonium Slack channel, but sometimes us and others in that community feel like we are trying to group solve problems rather than Pendo coming out with a simple solution.

Great analytics with in-app messaging to help increase the user experience.

Insights on our applications on where to invest resources.

Pros

Retroactive analytics is big for me considering I struggle with tagging all products across the enterprise. This feature allows me to tag things on my schedule. In most cases, coding is not required to tag my applications for Pendo to start tracking. I simply use their point and click tagging feature, and tagging can be done in no time. There are times that I need to add custom code due to the...

Cons

Even though Pendo provides some great reports, I wish their were more ways to visualize the data that's collected. Cohorts and other analytic reporting is light in the app. I would love to see the ability to give my customers access to Pendo and provision this access to view only their analytics and their guides. I hope to see this soon in the app.

Pendo guides are like having an expert train you through every step.

A few years ago we identified a scaling challenge to onboard customers of all sizes and complexities at a faster rate and volume. Our customer’s expectations were that they should be able to self-service, to log in and figure out their set-up and get onboarded quickly and painlessly. This was at a time where a lot of our processes were manual and to that end, we required that the Implementation team provide the onboarding contact with a one-hour portal training. To fix this, we created customized onboarding guides using Pendo and grew our self-service offerings in a way so that we did not lose the human connection that our customers value throughout onboarding and beyond.

Pros

We rely heavily on Pendo's Guide feature. Our onboarding guides are a customized and prescriptive list of tasks that are necessary for a user to complete in order to begin using their Bandwidth account. Our customers love that these embedded guides prompt them through the actual processes they perform in the Bandwidth Dashboard. It’s like having an expert train you through every step.

Cons

We wish that Pendo allowed for non-linear guides. It's often difficult to ensure that a user clicks the intended target element so that the guide progresses. I'd love to have the ability to account for a user's natural curiosity and allow them to explore more without losing their guide in the process.

Valuable Insights!

From a product perspective, we have gained so much insight into our customers and how they are using our products. We can identify at-risk customers easily and work to get them back on track. Additionally, we recently purchased and implemented the new Feedback module which is going to allow us to centralize all enhancement requests and finally have a data informed product roadmap. We derive a ton of value with this product and it is truly changing the way we do business.

Pros

We love all the data we have gained about our users and have a much stronger understanding of what they do within our applications. In addition, Pendo has made communication with our customers really easy, especially in times of crisis. I also feel as though we are arming our ENTIRE organization with information they need to do their job. All functions within our organization derive value from this platform and that isn't easy to achieve! Updates are also released regularly which tells me this is an organization that is dedicated to their customers.

Cons

I think with such an amazing platform, it can sometimes feel overwhelming to get up to speed on all the things we could be doing with the software.

I've been looking for a real solution to my User Behavior Analytics Problem

My experience with Pendo over the past year has been excellent, from initial discussions, implementation and support, Pendo has been great. Big shout out to the team at Pendo all have been very supportive and patient.

Pros

Pendo is built for product teams and provides a real solution to what I consider User Behavior Analytics, Qualitative + Quantitative Insights. The best part its super easy to get up and going, minimizes my development and implementation efforts. I have been able to train my Product Managers and UX Designers/Researchers in how to Tag, Generate Reports in less then 1 hour. Pendo makes Analytics easy...

Cons

I must say not much I do not like about the software. The pricing model which is based on monthly active users can get costly if you have millions of users, so it's not ideal for putting Pendo on your marketing or lead pages, its best used within your application after users sign in.

Invaluable Resource

Fantastic overall-- Product is a good example of useful out of the box, but rewards time and effort you spend fitting to your company's needs.

Pros

It's incredible how useful and predictive usage metrics can be if you build your own benchmarks and follow carefully. Extremely useful for knowing which accounts/segments my team should prioritize. I can spend 5 minutes in Pendo and see which of my large Customers are not adopting a Feature I know makes them sticky/happy. From there, it's just a matter of what form my outreach takes. NPS is also...

Cons

There is a bit of trial and error with filters. It's easy to think you've included/excluded a segment-- careful to double check and be extremely diligent.

Excellent product, absolutely recommend it

Excellent product

Pros

Track usage to know how clients are interacting with it. Ability to communicate with clients via messaging, guide center, walkthroughs Onboarding clients becomes easy with Pendo lightboxes Support team very helpful, always willing to spend time to explain how to improve usage Eliminates bothering internal developers Customized dashboards are great

Cons

New Guides list/display - hate it with a passion; preferred the older version Guides list is clunky, would prefer option to have a folder-like structure to manage Would like to see more widgets but they are open to adding them to roadmap

Pendo does everything you could possibly want in User Engagement and Analytics! It is the best!

Fantastic sales cycle, great CSM team and communication. We were pretty much completely onboarded (self-onboarded) when we finally signed and were given an Onboarding coordinator. His sessions were useful and still added value even though we'd figured the majority of it out on our own during the sales trial period. We're full steam ahead and looking for more and more way Pendo can help us know what we didn't know.

Pros

I love Pendo. I love it so much, I asked Capterra to add it to their software list just so I could review it (and no, I don't work there). We've used Pendo for the last 10 months and it couldn't be going better. We are a SaaS company and Pendo is giving our Product, Analytics, Customer Success and Onboarding Teams insights that were not previously possible. We leverage Pendo for user engagement, onboarding (tool tips, guides, popups etc.) and analytics. It is a smooth platform with great support and it works great. Couldn't recommend it more.

Cons

It's not necessarily a knock on Pendo so much as it is a knock on the quality of the development of your own site that Pendo sits on top of. If you have some questionable code, you may have a tricky time getting the rules and feature tagging completed exactly as you'd like. It helps if you have a knowledge of HTML and CSS to get around any of these pitfalls, otherwise you'll have to work with your Dev teams to get your internal code issues sorted out so that Pendo can work properly.

Increased insight into customer behabior, in-app tools to engaging with clients

Everything from the onboarding to deployment was very easy. The hardest part to learn was the feature tagging which takes more than just a little bit of programming knowledge depending on how "good" the code is in your software platform.

Pros

Resource Center feature. We use it to provide easy access to documentation, help guides, customer feedback, webinars, announcements and any other related content. We also use the in-app NPS survey tool. The data on user behavior is extremely helpful, made even more powerfull with the user segmentation since we serve multiple markets with the same product.

Cons

Because there is a lot of data it can be hard to know what you should be looking for to inform your software development decisions, but over time you will learn what is important and what is not for your specific platform.

Great Customer Intelligence Software

Pros

The granularity of data that Pendo surfaces, and the actionability it presents to its users, is among the best I've seen in this space. It's only for lack of time that I haven't dug more into the features we have available to us. I particularly like the ability to great guided experiences that vary based on the segment the user is in. As a product manager, I often log in just to poke around the usage numbers to see if I am taken down any interesting usage paths that cause me to think more critically about why certain behaviors are being exhibited, and Pendo makes that data very accessible.

Cons

I think Pendo's usability / user interface could use some work. It has a very hierarchical UI, and it's often easy to get confused about where you are within a particular workflow and how to navigate one layer back. The guided experience creation and testing is getting better, but still has a ways to go in terms of a clean user experience. Feature tagging and page creation often takes a long time to process, and it can stall out your workflow.

Great potential as long as you know how to manage the data

We do like Pendo and can see it has great potential, but I don’t think we are utilizing it to maximize that potential...yet. We are using it primarily to walk users through new tools and features, make announcements and gauge general user activity and engagement. This is great for improving user satisfaction at a base level and understanding how the user is using our product, but I think we’ve only scratched the surface. There are advanced segmentation tools used to determine how and when content is served, and reports can be grouped by these same segmentations. I’m excited to see how we can build on what we’ve created to really put those segmentations to use and learn even more about our users’ behavior.

Pros

Pendo has allowed us to gain deeper insight into our users’ workflows within our applications without having to disrupt those workflows. Usage data is captured as users navigate the site/app/platform and that data is made available to our team to analyze in real-time. This has significantly improved how we interact with users and what content we serve them at every touchpoint.

Cons

Creating the “guides” can be a cumbersome process. There are templates, but these are fairly basic and do not cover every use case. It would be amazing if there was an advanced/expanded library (even at cost) that would allow us to ramp up more quickly. We also felt the implementation team at Pendo could have been a little more hands-on. The weekly/biweekly check-in calls are nice, but we could have really used some deep-dive/consultative help when we were new to the platform and still trying to find our bearings.

Highly detailed usage information and excellent in-app guidance functionality

I have truly enjoyed working with Pendo, not just the Platform, but the company. Excellent, friendly, approachable communications. Quarterly forums to share what is going on. There are so many resources to use. We have actually tried to model some of our onboarding behaviors after Pendo's onboarding process, it was that good. I have always had great experiences with asking questions of the support staff. No complaints at all.

Pros

Pendo tracks all user events, even if you don't have them tagged. Competitors do not do this. The user interface is very easy to use and customize to meet the needs of different types of users. Very easy, even for non-programming staff to use. The in-app guides are extremely helpful for user guidance and support, company announcements. The NPS poll practically runs itself for us.

Cons

Occasional difficulty tagging look-up or drop-down fields, but the support staff is excellent at helping work those things out.

Wonderful Value, Somewhat Tedious UX

Great product that has some room for UX improvement, but nonetheless delivers on its core value prop.

Pros

We're able to get fantastic insights about who uses our product, why, and how. It allows us to make effective decisions on which features to dig deeper into, and which to scrap. It also gives us an effective way to deliver in-app documentation and announcements to our customers, which we leverage to educate and empower users to take full advantage of our feature set.

Cons

Some tedious UX decisions have been made. For example, if you want to change the segment of a Guide, you have to find it in the list of guides, enter a special editor that sometimes doesn't load, click into two different sections, and then you can make your change. We update our segments across our guide each release, and we release frequently, leading to lots of tedious clicking. Bulk updating segments across several guides at once would be tremendous. Setting up guides to work across multiple pages with distinct URLs is also quite painful, and could use something of an overhaul/UX redesign. We have a multitude of pages set up in our product to accommodate all the different places we'd like to place guides.

Pendo fits well even in a large organization

Overall we are VERY satisfied with Pendo. Two items that we spent a lot of time developing on our own we're quickly and easily replaced by Pendo features - inline Help tooltips and custom tutorials. We spent so much time maintaining, testing, and updating these before Pendo! Also, Pendo's usage metrics are SO much easier to access and evaluate than other tools we use at Elsevier. And the ability to view this usage by different segments is a game changer!

Pros

Before my organization purchased Pendo it was difficult if not impossible to get feedback from our users. After adoption, multiple business units are now using Pendo to survey users, advertise new features and much more. The best part is being able to share techniques across business units so users of our different products get a consistent experience.

Cons

The ability to create reports on feature, page, or guide usage could be improved. We try to gather info from these elements but the only options seem to be screenshots or accessing the limited info available in CSV download. Also, we have created several Guides that use custom javascript but there's no good documentation to help us get info on guide or step objects. We've figured most of it out on our own but it was difficult.