Inkscape Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.5/10

Reviews by rating

This software has the great advantage to be completely free and having the capacity to integrate other free and powerful APIs.
Inkscape surprised me positively for the number of features and more, for being free and for having open source. Creating knots, curves and modifying the lines is super easy and simple to use.
This software is so powerful, it's like a nuclear missile. I love what you can draw with it - literally anything.
The only problem I have had with this software is its weakness in exporting formats compatible with Latex.
It's hard for me to find something to dislike about Inkscape. I'd only say that it could use some tweaks in the interface itself, especially in the dark theme.
No option to see colors are print or screen-friendly. Inkscape lags behind premium vector graphic options.

Nicholas W.

Registrar - Admitting

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Used for several projects, all awesome!

Transcript

Nick W.: Hey there. My name is Nick. I'm a voiceover artist. I give Inkscape a five out of five and,...

Nathan L.

Website Design Specialist

Internet, 201-500 employees

An opensource software that gets the job done

Transcript

Nathan: Hi, I'm Nathan. I'm a founder of an online business in the self-help industry, and I give Inkscape...

Ali L.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Best Open source free Vector graphics editor and creator.

Inkscape is one of the best free open source reliable software i use, very fast and light weight. also runs all 3 main desktop operating system Linux, MacOS and Windows. between GIMP, Inkscape and Blender that's all a graphic designer needs to get rid of all the expensive proprietary bulky design software.

Pros

Inkscape is a free simple and easy to use and learn vector graphics editor and creator.

Cons

missing a few functions like importing EPS vector images format.

Online Media, self-employed

Power, Free, and Open Source

Inkscape allows me to create designs for laser cutting, for logos and other web graphics, etc. There is definitely a learning curve, but there is a wealth of information in a variety of formats to help get smooth things out.

Pros

I appreciate that I get a powerful vector design option without being tied to a costly subscription. As a small business owner (with an equally small budget) who needs to use quality design software, Inkscape has all of the features I need to get the job done and then some.

Cons

Inkscape isn't always as user friendly as it could be and every once and awhile I find myself looking feature that seems like it should be an obvious choice to include. There are always work arounds, but they take longer.

Jeffrey D.

Design, 11-50 employees

Lets be real, its free. You can't complain, right?

This is NOT a long term solution. If you think you're going to be editing vector files for the extended future, get Illustrator. It's great in a pinch for one off jobs, but do not waste time learning it in depth.

Pros

Its free! That means I don't need approval from the man with the card to use it! It also has almost all the functionality of Illustrator and exports all the standard vector file types. If you're in a pinch and need to edit vector art without shelling out BIG BUCKS to Adobe, this is the standard solution.

Cons

If you're used to Illustrator GOOD LUCK. Nothing works the way you think it should. Getting anything done gives me empathy for my Roomba. Sure it gets my floor vacuumed eventually, but its does it by banging into every obstacle.

BE

Brian E.

Internet, self-employed

Inkscape Can Be Problematic

I was frustrated as it did not provide any straightforward applications and seemed to change processes from one effort to the next.

Pros

It was free and had the functions I was looking for. It does have a great many editing options though it is advisable to utilize the tutorials before trying to redefine your image.

Cons

I found it difficult to navigate and apply tools needed for editing my images.

Stanley M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Most popular Opensource Vector Design Software

Inkscape has been my companion for quit some time and its agood replacemnt for CorelDraw and Illustrator for most of my project.

Pros

Community support and availability of tutorials for Inkscape make it the go to application for vector design and the fact that its free and opensource make it the best or student and newbies to getting started. Also support for Windows and GNU Linux make a fine addition.

Cons

Lack of support for most data file format especially proprietary one that are industry standard.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Inkscape is one of the best design tools

Overall i like inkscape very much. I think that is a big competitor to adobe programs because it can get the same quality of work without over prices of adobe which many people can't afford it

Pros

I like that it is professional. It has alot of options and tools to make my designs look unique and professional. Also, it is very easy to use.

Cons

I don't like the lack of Arabic Fonts which they should give much care because i need it in many projects

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Fantastic free tool for vector graphics

Overall, I'm very happy with Inkscape and use it to create/edit logos, banners, and other illustrations.

Pros

Without question, the best thing about Inkscape is the fact that it's completely free. It offers all the tools you'd ever need and has lots of useful extensions for more specific needs.

SK

Sibusiso K.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Professional graphic designing tool for beginners

inexpensive alternative to Photoshop. the functions of the software are easy to understand and use once you've familiarised yourself with it. overall I've had a great time learning how to design using this software. I would definitely recommend it for someone who is learning graphic design.

Pros

free to use software for beginners who cannot afford the priced alternatives and its just as good.

Cons

Functions are hard to use for new users. Prone to latency. limited features.

Internet, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

A great free program for illustrators

I've used Illustrator a lot more than Inkscape, but I do like Inkscape and I recommend it for people who can't justify paying for Illustrator.

Pros

It's free! If you don't want to pay for Adobe Illustrator or other expensive software, or if you are just a hobbyist, you can't beat Inkscape.

Cons

Because it's free, the functionality is not quite as robust as software like Adobe Illustrator. Of course, you would expect that from a free program.

Nicole W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Best free tool similar to Illustrator

Overall, we needed a low to no-cost alternative to Illustrator for our small nonprofit and Inkscape fits that dynamic perfectly, allowing us to create logos and other needed artwork for our fundraising campaigns.

Pros

Inkscape allows complete productivity without paying. The software is easy to use if someone has experience with Illustrator.

Cons

I haven't found any features about Inkscape that I do not like at this point!

AM

Antonio M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Best free vector graphics software

I used it to create icons for my small business and for the larger clients we had. It was a quick and easy way to create vector graphics. I also used it for our comics. We would trace the drawn comics to blow them up to be printed as posters. I also managed to blow up some comics for use on merch websites that required crazy high resolution source files. I LOVE the program and now I use it in tandem with another similar software I bought at the beginning of the year mainly for the tracing option.

Pros

It is free and it does everything other vector graphic softwares do! Unlike some of the competitors it actually has a decent tracing option.

Cons

It takes way too long for it to start. Other than that, everything is amazing, but I spent minutes every time I tried to start the program. It was on the computer that would start comparable software in under a second.

JD

Joshua D.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Inkscape offers an Illustrator-like experience, if you're willing to poke around.

I use Inkscape frequently for creating documents and image assets on our website, email marketing platform, and social media platforms. Like I said, the interface took some getting used to (the differences are just...a little weird sometimes), but I'm quite comfortable in the basics and learning new things every day!

Pros

Elephant in the room: it's free, which is fantastic! It offers a robust feature set that is more than sufficient for my non-power-user needs. Also, since it's open source, its potential for extensibility is huge. The online community is incredibly helpful when I get stuck.

Cons

I found the controls to be less intuitive than Illustrator, but once you get used to it this is fine, too!

MR

Micalen R.

Computer Games, self-employed

Inkscape: Vector Design software for all creators.

Inkscape shouldn't really be compared to other software which specializes in illustrations such as Krita. Inkscape is always first a vector design software and one of the best at that. It requires more technical skills than artistic but both artist and graphic designers and even game designers can make full use of this software.

Pros

It's vector design is my favorite thing. I've tried creating logos as rasterized images in other software but they scale horribly. However, as vectors they are perfect and Inkscape does vectors best. The large amount of tools allows me to truly create anything. I use it for logos but also for specialized lettering and sound effects for comics. And it's a free software!

Cons

As far as UI it's not the best looking and can be confusing. You will definitely need to learn how to use the software to its full capacity.

WS

Waqas S.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Top quality graphics editing software

It is full featured vector based graphic editing software with lots of extension available. Their website provides good manual for using the software. As a free alternative to Adobe Illustrator is came handy.

Pros

It is great software for vector based graphics (SVG) creation and editing. It provide lots of vector editing tools. Most important tool in Inkscape is Node selection which is alternative to direct selection tool of Illustrator. It is free alternative to adobe Illustrator.

Cons

Sometimes the processing is slow. User Interface is not user friendly. Require extensive learning curve. Issues with editing Illustrator files.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

The best tool for small business

Apart from not being the chosen solution for the printing industry, Inkscape works as well as all the other solutions, it opens the files produced by them and exports to their format. Inkscape does not require the purchasing of a license, making it perfect for small businesses. It is easy to work and working with it is just like working with the best software your money can buy.

Pros

Inkscape has all the features the major vector illustration tools provide, with more control over the end result, the file, and is distributed under a GPL license, meaning it is free of charge and free to be modified by knowledgeable developers. It provides ways to implement new features via scripts, and also has a great developers' environment, continuously working on improvements for the tool.

Cons

Other than the fact that the publishing industry does not use it as the standard, there are no downside in using it.

JG

James G.

Libraries, 1-10 employees

Inkscape - Flexible, Easy to use vector editor and graphics design layout tool

As with any small organization there is a need to balance efficiency with cost. Over the years I have used several of the commercial vector art software packages available. I find that in inkscape I can easily match 90% of the capabilities of the commercial software. When you evaluate the cost of licensing commercial software for each of the staff computers compared to the 10% increase in features you can then determine whether the cost increase is worth it. In our case, as a library, the answer was that the additional features added little to the ability to create the content we need.

Pros

I frequently am handed details on an upcoming event and need to turn out flyers, posters and other media for it in just a short period of time. With Inkscape I can quickly and efficiently bring together existing artwork (e.g. logos), new clipart, and create graphic elements to form a broad range of media with consistent style and content.

Cons

The one area that I would like to see improved most is handling large sections of text. As a vector art tool you can easily modify individual words and letter by warping, distorting, clipping and more. But when it comes to doing a block of text that needs to dynamically wrap around other elements on the page Inkscape is not as intuitive as it might be. This is improving with each new release and I am anxious to see what develops over the next few updates.

DN

Debbie N.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Inkscape from a Person who is not techie

Inkscape can be used to create logos, icons, illustrations, and graphics for print, web, and mobile applications. It can be used to create marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, and advertisements. It can also be used to create technical diagrams for reports, presentations, and manuals.BenefitsThe main benefit of using Inkscape is that it is free and open source, making it accessible to anyone with a computer. It is also very user-friendly and intuitive, allowing even novice users to create professional-looking images. Inkscape also supports multiple file formats, allowing users to export their work in a variety of ways. Finally, Inkscape features a number of tools and features that make it easy to create complex graphics with relative ease.

Pros

1. Inkscape is free and open-source, so it is available for anyone to use without having to pay for a license. 2. It is easy to use, with an intuitive user interface and comprehensive set of features. 3. It is highly compatible with other vector graphics software, allowing you to easily export and import files from other programs. 4. It has a wide range of features and tools, making it suitable for both experienced and novice users.5. Inkscape is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms, making it accessible to a wide range of users.

Cons

1. Inkscape is not as powerful as more expensive vector graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator.2. The user interface can be confusing for some users, as there are a lot of options and tools available.3. The software is not as well-supported or updated as other vector graphics software, so users may not get the same level of customer support.

David I.

Wholesale, self-employed

Open Source Vector Graphics Software

I really like it over all you can do everything you need that all of the other paid softwares can do with exception to working with CMYK formats, this software is that good that when they get to integrate the CMYK color format as a printout file, a great majority of the people in the printing industry will switch to it. Is so well thought that is possible to designs faster than illustrator and corel draw, many of the tools make the job easier plus you can give a donation of 30 bucks or 100 bucks or 10 a year depending on you, but you get so much power for every cent or dollar you donate to the inkscape team.

Pros

- The amount of stuff you can do with this Open Source software is outstanding and the quality is superb, you can create all the graphics necessary for your websites, motion graphics, banners, games and animations. - Also is possible to export to a variety of file formats supported by adobe, save images with transparency and even create DXF files for CNC and G code machine cuts, even use your plotter straight out of the software with a plug in.

Cons

- May have a bit of a steep learning curve since it is open source but there is ton of documentation and videos in youtube to overcome this challenge. - With heavy graphics the program can crash if you do not save your work on layers so you can turn off finished work and work on layers, but can be overcomed with constant saving. - It can be confusing when you select graphics because it’s highlighted only with a dotted box. - Some tools don't work in a logical manner. - It does not support CMYK colors.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

My "Go-To" for Vector Images and Graphics

There are a plethora of different applications this software has for business. Design business cards, letterheads, logos, mailers, flyers, and brochures - create a cartoon character or an emoji for your social media pages. Design stickers or a million others things that your business can use to promote. Or, perhaps it is your business to create images for others. Either way, this software can handle it. Personally, I use this software all of the time and I just love to work with it.

Pros

Inkscape allows you create and edit beautiful vector images and graphics! With just a little bit of imagination, a user can do so much because the creators have put so much functionality into this software. I have used many different graphics programs and I really prefer Inkscape since getting used to the controls. I use this software to make cartoon graphics of people for use on their social media accounts. Generally, I have to do a lot of edits to get an image exactly the way someone wants it to look. Inkscape makes those changes easy. This software can be used to make simple edits or to create full gorgeous graphics and the best part is that the software is free to use.

Cons

This software is certainly not for someone who is not tech savvy. There are some other programs that are more user friendly. However, in my opinion, those programs aren't as dynamic either. Inkscape can be intimidating and a little bit frustrating to even someone who does have some understanding of computer graphics until you learn the ins and outs of the program and where/how the functions are laid out. With that said, once you get in there and play with everything, the program develops an ease of use that will have a person preferring this software over other, much more expensive options.

MB

Michael B.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Inkscape, a "Go To" for so many reasons...

Inkscape is really fantastic. It's always installed on my multiple work desktops. I have found Inkscape great for mocking up websites, and also doing perfectly formed layouts for printing. When I need to do some CNC work with my X-Carve, I throw the shapes together in Inkscape, export to an SVG, and I'm not long from rocking and rolling. There are very few programs that I've used the same way for so long, but I keep coming back to Inkscape.

Pros

Free and Cross Platform! Inkscape gets the job done when I need vector graphics, SVGs, and more. I use it primarily for my room maps, rack layouts, network diagrams and more. As I've started doing a lot of CNC milling, I've found it very useful to do my designs in Inkscape, and then port them over!

Cons

Learning curve makes it a slow start, when I have to shake off the rust. The software hasn't had a great deal of graphical updates, and still has the dated look it it. But this is only cosmetic.

MI

Martinus Ignorence G.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

InkScape is all Vector

Inkscape is a fantastic free software and its fundamental center is the making of vector-based designs - it does this particularly well. You can create great SVG illustrations for marking (or some other use, as a matter of fact) yet you should invest energy and examination of the item piece to have the option to receive use it effectively and receive the most in return. On the off chance that you are hoping to deal with raster-based designs, GIMP is a superior choice.

Pros

Inkscape is strong programming to draw delightful drawings, for example, vector pictures. The fundamental benefit is that it is free. Picture control should likewise be possible somewhat. At first, it isn't extremely natural in the event that you are utilized to other application programming projects, for example, AutoCAD, yet there are numerous instructional exercises to acquaint with it.

Cons

Crashes at some point (yet consistently a make a backup document).Less help on 3D Illustrations. Have to be more creative.

SE

Shamori E.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

So versatile

My overall experience with the software is fantastic!

Pros

One of the things I love about this software is that is free! Anything that you could do in illustrator, you can literally do in Inkscape.

Cons

The only con would be the interface, there should be names on the different tools. For a beginner it would take some time to find and identify the tools and modes.

Import and Export, 1-10 employees

Inkscape is thee free software for all skill levels

Overall I rate the product highly. It can do almost everything that I need it to do, is easy to learn and is free. There is nothing currently that would make me look for something else.

Pros

I like that it is free, the software is easy to use and there are countless tutorials online on how to use the product. If you want to do anything and do not know how to do it, you can find it on YouTube. That is how I learned and although I would not consider myself and expert, I am good enough.

Cons

There are a few things that I do not like and that is that the software can crash randomly sometimes 10 times in 30 mins. It is infuriating. Also, there can be issues with importing graphics if the formatting is slightly off. Also the options for CMYK colors are limited.

Arnold C.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Amazing piece of vector editing software

Using it for over 10 years now. I can't imagine wanting it to change for different software.

Pros

It's free and opensourced. I stopped using Corel Draw because Inkscape do the jobs I need much better.

Cons

Not much support for large format printing

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1-10 employees

Very useful tool to create figures and diagrams fast and effectively!

Pros

I use this tool regularly at work to help me create visuals for my technical reports, whether it be a free body diagram or an image depicting the layout of my assemblies. Inkscape has many useful features, with my favorite being the "Layer" option which allows you to create layers to draw on that can be above or below the beginning layer. This feature allows you to add in certain figures in the background or foreground without having to restart the entire drawing. Another useful tool is the Grid View which displays the entire sheet in a grid like style. This is preferred to me as my drawings are usually needed to be relatively precise and having the grid style helps to ensure that.

Cons

There is not much I can say negatively about this software. It is open source and there are many tutorials online to help you create figures, making it all around an excellent decision for a drawing tool. It lacks some of the more advanced features you would get in PhotoShop but there are little tricks you can do to get around.