Inkscape Reviews - Page 4

Open Source CorelDraw

I was able to design logos and billboards just fine, after overcoming the changes from CorelDraw, I feel I can do anything on it and is free. Nothing to lose here, try it.

Pros

For a Free software it has a lot of options to do illustrations, very similar to CorelDraw, you will be able to use it, after learning the basics, you can accomplish almost the same things that on CorelDraw.

Cons

Some options are confusing and not the same as CorelDraw, but has a lot of documentation and support from the community so you be able to get the solution to any issue you may encounter.

Inkscape for Laser Cutting

Been using it to create designs for icons and laser cutting blueprints and images for months and is a great software but if you want to create very precise blueprints Inkscape may not be the best for you as it is mainly a drawing software. Though you should give it a try. The software is compatible with many file formats and you may find tutorials on the web and in the developers website there's a very good guide.

Pros

Inkscape is a great quality design freeware, great for making illustrations in vector format, easy to use very natural commands and intuitive interface it also has the ability to add software modules to make it able to do extra tasks such as output gcode for CNC machines, for example. To make designs for laser cutting you need to draw the vector or convert and image to vector which is easy and then be sure all objects are converted to paths and finally save as dxf, remember to save in another file. All this is very easy to do.

Cons

Mayor complaint is the fact that conversion to dxf file format may have errors in may intricate font types and are needed to be corrected manually.

Free and great

I use Inkscape when creating graphics for the movies we make, when I'm not at my production machine. It is a great piece of software that helped us immensly when we didn't have enough funding to actually buy a vector design software. I highly recommend Inkscape to everyone starting out with vector design.

Pros

Inkscape is great. The user interface is solid, the options are all there, it is not hard to use, and to top it all off, it's completely free! I love how easy it was to learn how to work with vectors once I got my hands on Inkscape.

Cons

I have some issues with the UI, namely with layers and how they are displayed in the side panel, and some shortcuts that are unintuitive, but that is just a minimal issue that does not really impact my view of this software.

Great for free software, not feature complete

Inkscape is a great option, especially if you are a Linux user or a big open source supporter. It has great text support and general shape manipulation. The updated renderer is much improved but still lags behind most other native vector software.

Pros

Inkscape being free and open source is a huge upside. The interface is configurable and theme-able, but looks decent without modification. It supports all of my expected basic operations, and has a good workflow from ideas to export.

Cons

There are quite a few features that are found in most vector software, such as Affinity Designer or Adobe Illustrator. Some operations take a bit of time to do manually, and the performance (though improved recently) is not great.

Best Vector Graphics Software Period

In my mind, vector graphics design and Inkscape are synonymous. I will continue using this program as my favored tool for designing vector graphics, and I look forward to recommending this program to others who embark upon trying to make high resolution, scalable images and logos for their business. This program is great, and the developers are saints for making it free and open source.

Pros

When I began to work on graphics design, I turned to vector graphics to be able to make high resolution, scalable graphics, and Inkscape was the first program I found, and I haven't turned back since. This program is fully featured and provides all of the tremendous capabilities of a professional graphics development tool, but it's free and open source -- which is amazing! I am thankful for how great this free program is.

Cons

What I like least about this program is how steep the learning curve is to be able to use it professionally. Vector graphics design is a lot more complex than conventional drawing tools, and it was a major challenge to learn all of the ins and outs of this program to be able to use it professionally.

Inkscape is a good alternative to seriously consider

Positive.

Pros

When running into the nearly quarterly problems of Adobe Updates and charges, I thought it made sense to consider alternatives. Then I found Inkscape and was pleasantly surprised to see how much user support there is for it. There are lots of Youtube videos to support this software. Sure, it is different from Adobe Illustrator, but so what?

Cons

Because it is open access software, do not except all of the bells and whistles and functionality of the Adobe Suite. You are getting something that you will have to learn to work with.

Does 95% of vector based competitors for FREE

I always recommend beginners wanting to learn vector-based software to start with Inkscape because it can do it all and is completely free.

Pros

Inkscape isn't easy to pick up and learn but neither are any of the other vector-based graphic design software programs. For free, Inkscape really can't be beat. If you need to learn how to do something, the community is all over and you can search online with multiple examples displayed by contributors.

Cons

Very seldomly the software would crash when I started up. This seems to have been fixed.

Generally easy to use

Pros

Inkscape is a lot simpler than other competing products, and it capitalizes on the niche of people who aren't too experienced with using design software. It's generally easy to use and has pretty much all the functions you need for low-level editing, and isn't extremely slow, so you don't need a really heavy-duty computer to run it.

Cons

Although it is true that this software doesn't require a lot of knowledge, you have to take that with a grain of salt because what comes with the little instruction needed is that sometimes you might want to do something that you can't do in Inkscape that you can do in some other software, in which case you'll have to learn how to use other software anyways.

Inkscape: A free, feature-rich program for vector graphics and text

Inkscape has helped me design my own t-shirts, and by importing my own photos and fonts, I've made a number of different album covers for my music projects. Inkscape has saved me the expense of hiring a graphic designer, and I highly recommend it.

Pros

Besides the fact that it's free, I like how you can use layer to create visual projects in Inkscape. The program allows you to draw, paint, and add text to images just like Corel Draw, and the program offers a number of different filters to process photographs with. Fonts can be imported into Inkscape from external sources, giving the user unlimited ability to create everything from album covers to t-shirt art, flyers, illustrations and much more.

Cons

I think Inkscape would work best on newer computers, as my laptop is older and sometimes there's lag time when the program is trying to process my images.

Best free tool for vector drawings

It has a nice kit, great for those who can't afford to invest in a professional paid software.

Pros

It has many vector drawing tools to do almost everything. It is similar to other popular drawing softwares.

Cons

I don't like to edit some text font in it, it is hard to move the text without zoom in.

Great software for 90% of users needs

I am not a professional graphics designer. But have the need to create images or logos occasionally. This meets 100% of my needs without question.

Pros

Being able to use it without any cost obviously lowers the barrier to entry. However, after having used Inkscape for a little while the functionality is what really makes this a must have piece of software. Maybe some users need to use the Adobe equivalent but unless you need it for your job I would guess you are fine using Inkscape.

Cons

Overall there is a learning curve (the same as there would be with any new software). Some users may just already be used to Adobe and not want to change.

Pros

For free graphics software, this is one of the best. Easy to use, lots of function and add on features. I use the create path function to create dxf and svg files for laser engraving and cutting.

Cons

Not a lot to not like about this software. A better way to control contrast would be nice.

Inkscape is great for beginning graphic artists and people on a budget

I used Inkscape when I first launched my business because it is by far the best option out there for FREE! I could not have ever created any of my first designs without this program.

Pros

Pros: It's open source which means it's FREE! Similar layout to Adobe Illustrator Very powerful

Cons

Cons: There is a pretty steep learning curve (especially if you've never used a vector program before) Although it's very powerful, it lacks some options that the competitors offer

Inkscape does your vector jobs

I have created numerous vector graphics for every possible purpose, illustrations for books, artwork for the web, logos for companies and a lot more. I was even able to establish a CMYK workflow for print.

Pros

Inkscape is the one program for creating and working with vector graphics and since it is free software, it has literally no price tag except your time to make yourself familiar with its workflows and concepts. It opens and works with nearly every vector format out there and is capable of doing the most advanced manipulations and changes to vector graphics.

Cons

Sometimes the program feels a bit laggy, but in the end it always did its job.

Inkscape review

Very good graphic design software that suits many different projects needs.

Pros

It gives me the opportunity to create stunning vector art that goes beyond expectation.

Cons

I wish each time I try to integrate word into a pattern it would give me error messages then opts out.

Excellent open-sourced software for vector graphics

Inkscape is an amazing and super-compatible software. Not very beginner friendly but once you are familiar with the interface, excellent to work with.

Pros

It is an excellent software for making top quality vector graphics. I have been using this software since a long time and I keep on discovering new features on every use. It is open-sourced and compatible with various Operating Systems, thus completely amazing.

Cons

It is not very beginner friendly. Had to go for a few tutorials before starting. The interface is a bit confusing and for finding a particular feature you'd have to search a bit.

Great for vectors and 2D images overall

Great app that helps me a bunch with vectors in general, and quite powerful (specially if combined with GIMP and others).

Pros

First of all, can't beat the price – totally free. It's a great alternative to Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW for most things image drawing and editing. Also, it allows you to open (and edit) Adobe Illustrator and PDF files, which is a plus for a free app like this, and it's got a vast array of features.

Cons

The developers apparently haven't given much thought to UX fundamentals, as the interface is sometimes complex to understand; there are way too many options, so there's some getting used to, but fortunately it's customisable. Also, there are some things that are simply not available, no 3D; no cloud services; some tools work quite different from the way they do in other apps... but overall, and specially when combined with GIMP and some plugins, it gets almost as powerful as the 'fancy' apps out there.

The cost of free

I like it because it was free and we were a startup so overhead matters. At some point we outgrew our need and the free was no longer enough. Some of the more needed tasks too twice as long to dial in as again the paid alternatives

Pros

Best feature is the price it is free and yes it is a vector software. It does the basics of vectoring and design creation

Cons

Not intuitive It take many mores steps to complete functions compared to paid alternatives

Great AI alternative

I use Inkscape to create images/graphics for my printing business.

Pros

I love all the features and the ease of use of the Inkscape software. I also like how I'm able to export the images that I've created into PNG files

Cons

From time to time, the system will lag a bit. I also don't like how the colors I've selected always print much different, sometimes different colors entirely.

Fantastic Free Vector Graphics Software

This is a powerful software with full functionality. A great, free substitute for Illustrator. It is updated regularly to keep it fresh. Would highly recommend this software, have been using for about 4 years now.

Pros

The ease of use is great. However, it also has a lot of support for the areas that you need help with. It has been around long enough to have extensive tutorials and how tos to learn tons of fun new tricks and applications.

Cons

One of the updates removed a feature that I really liked in an older version and I cannot find it. However, I think that may be a user error and not due to the software's ability.

Love It!

I just love it. It's my go to editor for all my invitation designs as well as logo and business card designs! I've never had an issue!

Pros

I like that it's totally free and so easy to learn to use!

Cons

I wish it had better photo filters and effects!

Unleash the Artist in you

Pros

This is a fully loaded piece of software, if you're looking to create some drawings in various different types of format (SVG is my favourite) this is for you. This is basically Illustrator for the poor man as it comes for the bargain price of nothing - you gotta love a great piece of freeware and this is one of them.

Cons

If you have no experience in drawing software (where I started) it takes a little while to get the hang using Inkscape as it feature packed - but there are tons and tons of online tutorials to get you going.

The best free vectoring software Ive ever used!

I've been able to design vector-based images for blogs and online use with ease, and excellent results. Would definitely recommend this for people to try, but need to invest some time in learning first!

Pros

I love this software. I was after a free piece of software to initial try my hand at vector designing logos and images for online use. This software has never let me down in that respect. There is so much functionality, and it is really easy to get to use. It can be quite daunting for those not familiar with this type of software, but its still pretty easy to pick up with a little investment of time to learn properly.

Cons

I have been unable to use keyboard shortcuts with this software as it is installed via XQuartz (which is frustrating when trying to do things relatively quickly). Also, the software uses quite a lot of resources which can take its toll on lower end machines.

Inkscape is a Gem

Inkscape is a top notch program and the developers should be very proud of what they've done for the world by contributing this.

Pros

Inkscape is a solid product that I've used on many occasions. One of the things that makes it so special is that you can use it on Linux as well as Windows. It was an invaluable tool for me to get learning back when I began fiddling with web design.

Cons

As with any program of this nature it has a learning curve. When I first started using it there were less resources available to help figure out how to do things. That's all changed.

A free awesome alternative for Illustrator

Installed in no-time, not difficult to get around, edit your vector drawing with ease and export easily via command line and of course easily in the gui. Thanks!

Pros

If you don't have hundreds of dollars to spend and still be able to draw vector drawings or make little changes to a illustrator drawing, you are surprised by Inkscape! Easily make the change and export easily via command line to a PNG, ready to use on your website, awesome. Also bitmap tracing, which made my life easier :-) Thanks!

Cons

Not that I know of, indeed other paid software is a bit easier in its usage, but if you don't mind to learn a bit and look around, you will find your way and do your thing for free.