Inkscape Reviews - Page 6

Inkscape - tricky but useful

Once I learned how to use InkScape, I was able to create really great graphics for my research. However, it is difficult to figure it out for first time users and more resources online would be helpful.

Pros

I like the many features it has to offer. I used this software for my graduate research images, such as making panels of images that were all the same size. You can add text and shapes as well which is very nice. I like the high resolution images that I can create for my research.

Cons

The software is very tricky to use for first time users. There aren’t as many online resources to teach you features or help with issues as I would like.

Its Free Adobe photoshop

As someone who is not a designer, I often need imaging editing software to do mockups and prototypes. this solves my problem without the need of a licence

Pros

really comprehensive Imaging editing software. Has most of the features of all the market leaders, and its for free.

Cons

There is a learning curve involved as with any Image editing software, but if you are familiar with photoshop, you should be able to navigate the software successfully

Testing Inkscape for vector drawings on a laser machine

Of all the free software I used as an alternative to other paid software, it was one of the best. In the beginning the tools are either a little strange or even complex but over time it is possible to get used to them very well. It is a bad thing to have to convert the files to the format that my laser machine supports but that is not a major problem. It is easily adaptable even with a slightly overloaded interface

Pros

It is easy to install and free software. It has many tools similar to paid competitors, it is easy to export to other programs, it has a diverse color palette and very simple to use

Cons

Some simple commands to use are a little bad to find at the beginning, such as the arrow to return something, it is half hidden in the middle of so much information and in a little visible place ie the interface can sometimes seem a little overwhelmed . Excluding some nodes from drawings with curves changes the shape of the drawing too much and can sometimes be flawless

Great FREE vector software!

Overall experience is great; I love the versatility of this program. Being powerful AND free, it has helped my (very) small business save money and offer unique products.

Pros

I use Inkscape for designing cut files for my Etsy shop. There is so much versatility in the program; design options are endless. Best of all, it's free!

Cons

I wouldn't recommend this to new users, unless you're comfortable experimenting and learning on your own.

Excellent tool for vector graphics

Inkscape is a complete tool. It has all the features for editing vector graphics and is still free. With Inkscape I can edit graphics I need.

Pros

The variety of features for editing vector graphics. Keyboard shortcuts. Features for pixel art. Filters and extensions.

Cons

Inkscape is a great tool, but, like many others, it has some issues like slow to start, some crashes, slow to export images.

The best free and open-source vector graphics editor

Inkscape is the best free and open-source vector graphics editor in the market.

Pros

Inkscape is the best free and open-source vector graphics editor in the market. It is capable of handling many vector file types such as dxf, swg, pdf, etc. And it's free.

Cons

To be honest, there are nothing to mention as wear or dislike areas in Inkscape. It is so simple yet very powerful.

Great free program!

Overall I would recommend inkscape to anyone looking for a vector program.

Pros

With just a couple youtube searches I was able to figure out how to use inkscape. I am still learning to do new things and love that the options are limitless. I can save as SVGs, PDFs etc which is a big plus since I import designs into another program that only accepts SVGs.

Cons

At first I was a little intimidated but quickly learned that I could figure things out as I went. I don't really have a con other then it takes some research.

All the Tools you need! They're just hidden.

Inkscape is a beautiful example of what open source software can do for the people who don't want to invest a significant amount of money into a brand name software package.

Pros

This is an amazing vector based graphic creation software package. As far as I can tell, this has most of the tools that Illustrator has. AND it's free! Don't worry about how confusing the UI is when you first start using it. There are enough tutorials out there to get you through the steep learning curve.

Cons

Like stated above, the UI is vastly different than you're used to if you are Illustrator trained. It can be very frustrating with the different terms for tools and where they are located, but look up all the tutorials and you'll be fine.

Advanced features for free!

I love the capabilities of Inkscape and I have never used such a powerful opensource software. I love how comprehensive it is.

Pros

I think Inkscape has amazing features and it can be used for free. You can create logos, letterheads and some beautiful artwork. Some amazing textures can be added. There are ample of videos which are available which can be used to understand some features

Cons

The learning curve is high. They have amazing functionalities and all of them have a dedicated user guide. You will need some time to get used to the software.

Vector Creations

Pros

The first time I used this software was as a part of a university course pertaining to graphics. This tool is free for downloading. As a beginner it can be a bit challenging to adapt to it in the beginning, but once you get the hang of things it becomes quite a journey. You will able to create spectacular vector art which you can use for your own projects and other goals.

Cons

As I have previously stated, it does take some time to get used to it, especially since there are no in-built tutorials so you have to look them up on the web.

A Capable, Free Adobe Illustrator Alternative

Overall, Inkscape offered a great, and affordable entry into professional vector graphics software.

Pros

Inkscape provided many of the most important features of Adobe Illustrator at an accessible price (FREE!) when I was a student and just beginning my design business. This is a very deep app that can do a ton if you take the time to learn it.

Cons

Inkscape has a high learning curve, maybe even more so than Illustrator. The user interface also isn't quite as nice as some other similar software, mostly because of the cross platform nature of the app.

Lets be real, its free. You can't complain, right?

This is NOT a long term solution. If you think you're going to be editing vector files for the extended future, get Illustrator. It's great in a pinch for one off jobs, but do not waste time learning it in depth.

Pros

Its free! That means I don't need approval from the man with the card to use it! It also has almost all the functionality of Illustrator and exports all the standard vector file types. If you're in a pinch and need to edit vector art without shelling out BIG BUCKS to Adobe, this is the standard solution.

Cons

If you're used to Illustrator GOOD LUCK. Nothing works the way you think it should. Getting anything done gives me empathy for my Roomba. Sure it gets my floor vacuumed eventually, but its does it by banging into every obstacle.

One of the most valuable tools for designers

Pros

There is a long list, It's open source! and free! The files are extremely light, it can be used other like AI or even browsers that can reading SVG files, sumarizing there is a huge sinergy with a lot of others softwares.

Cons

There is a learning curve, but you can access the a lot of tutorials! there is a lot their in the internet.

Great Vector Software

I use Inkscape for designing mainly company logos. It's pretty easy to get really professional results and I totally recommend it.

Pros

What I really like about Inkscape is that it consists a professional vector graphic software and it's free.

Cons

I use Inkscape at my MacBook pro and in the past I experienced some stability problems that may had to do with the xQuartz.

An alternative to Adobe Illustrator that is FREE!

I really like that there is a free alternative to Illustrator. I just cannot see spending that amount of money currently. I still create beautiful vector images with Inkscape. Well worth giving this a try because it doesn't cost anything. Very similar to Illustrator as far as tool options.

Pros

I love the ease of use. It doesn't cost. Love that I can create vector art.

Cons

Some times the pen tool is hard to use.

Still the best vector graphics software I've used, and free!

Used it to do extensive web and graphic design work for clients and for my own projects.

Pros

Superbly featureful and makes it as easy to build a quick graphical image as it would be to sketch on paper.

Cons

Can still be a little unstable, occasionally crashes although work is rarely lost. Not 100% without bugs.

Ease of creating vector graphics

I needed to find a software that can give me musical symbols in clear vector graphics which I can include in my word documents so each symbol takes me around a minute to complete and it allows me to convert entire pages of a pdf file into svg too!

Pros

I loved the simple intuitive toolbar located at the side of the page and it is rather easy to create anything you want. The bitmap to svg and pdf import functions are great for me!

Cons

The lack of a pen or a simple shape creator like a drag to adjust rectangle.

Inkscape, a pleasant surprise.

Overall, my experience with inkscape was quite satisfactory. The application is very intuitive and when I need to do something more elaborate, I had no problem finding good documentation on the internet.

Pros

For anyone who needs a professional-quality vector drawing application that is simple to use and doesn't cost a fortune, Inkscape is certainly the solution. A great alternative to CorelDraw, which surprised me. It has a strong internet community with a large team of developers, constantly being updated. It is a free and cross platform software. It has versions for Linux, Windows and Mac.

Cons

For those who already used another vector drawing application like CorelDraw, the lack of some features present in other applications can be noted. It is possible to perform the same tasks you would perform in CorelDraw, but in some cases in an indirect way. For example: There is no feature that makes interactive shading, instead you need to create your own shadow.

Adobe altettive

over all ive enjoyed using the software and it has provided good results for my clients.

Pros

Well i love that it is an open free source vector graphics creator. It was time for me to upgrade my mac gook pro and the adobe suite i have is not compatible due to adobe shifting its market to a subscription based platform. which i could not afford. Ink Scape gave me all the same tools and features with out a huge price tag.

Cons

so far the only con is formatting is a little different along with the user interface. But if you hav experience with adobe illustrator its all fairly recognizable.

Decent free software

It’s a really easy software to learn and gives you an open door into more advanced softwares like adobes illustrator or photoshop

Pros

I like the flexibility and usability of the software. I can import and export at full resolution though you need a solid computer for large files. It has a lot of different functions that you see in photo shop yet not as advanced so it’s a good point between paint and ps

Cons

It sometimes is glitchy. There are times when I see extra lines or patches I didn’t create thinking it’s just a glitch I’ve exported it and it shows up. Also if you’re working with a large amount of individual objects like a “spray” it slows the whole thing down

Great alternative to Illustrator

Not wanting to pay for the Full Adobe license at the time, Inkscape fit my needs to help me start working in the vector graphics world. I was able to do most of what I needed to with Inkscape.

Pros

Price is great. Allows you to easily create SVG graphics without having to buy into the Adobe environment. Its simplicity helps you get the job done for simple graphics

Cons

It is a little limited as it is Open Source software, but if you're looking to go for a simple SVG creator/editor, it'll work!

Free vector graphics program anyone can learn

I usually use vector graphics when preparing conference posters or academic papers, and I love that Inkscape is open source. I don't have money to pay for Adobe Illustrator, and I usually only need to be able to do a few simple things. Inkscape fits that perfectly.

Pros

Inkscape is a good free tool for vector graphics. It has an active community that will answer most any question you might have about how to use it to achieve a specific result. As a newbie to graphic design, I appreciate being able to follow instructions to achieve a specific type of result, rather than look into documentation that only gives general use cases.

Cons

Maybe it's my lack of graphic design background, but Inkscape has a bit of a learning curve, and for me as a user who only wanted to do a few small things, it took me a bit longer than I would have expected to learn how to get the result I was looking for. That being said, it wasn't impossible, and some Google searching got me there.

Good graphic creator

Of all the open source vector designer software out there, Inkspace takes up top space. It really helps to scale images and graphics so it becomes suitable for all screen size and devices

Pros

It is a powerful in scaling graphics and making the interface look good for different viewing devices. I prefer these kind of open source than other illustrators.

Cons

Inkscape isn't really best for large files because they slow it down which can be frustrating.

Excellent free vector graphics package

I have used Inkscape for occasional label and logo design for engineering products, for which it has served admirably. As a relatively inexperienced user, it can be a little impenetrable but the program does a reasonable job of making commonly used features accessible, the results are excellent.

Pros

Wide array of powerful image creation and manipulation features mean if you have the time there is practically no limit to what can be created. Can work with most image formats including raster images. Large community of users for support and ideas.

Cons

Like a lot of free open source software the UI is a bit substandard; nothing too awful but it feels a bit dated.

Great Software for Home Based Laser Engraving Business

The more I use it the easier it gets!

Pros

This software is free. But don’t let that fool you-it is very powerful and capable. Using free tutorials online I have learned how to create and edit designs that I then use to laser engraved onto wood, and have been successful doing so. I have been told that this is a comparable to Adobe Illustrator. Never having used that software I am unable to comment, but can say that it meets my needs.

Cons

There is a learning curve, as with most software. Overall it has worked well for me and I have not had any issues.