Blender Logo

Blender

On-premise video editing tool for developers and designers.

Blender Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.89/10

Reviews by rating

For those looking for a way of producing great quality videos, blender is the key in editing. Once you learn how to use it, the results you get are remarkable.
Blender has been amazing as my software for 3D animations. The power that it offers while remaining completely free is excellent.
This is an amazing software that allows me to make ANY character for my Video Game Creations, and even for Video Game Mods. Has multiple save file options and has amazing sculpting assets.
The only problem which i have faced while using blender it is hard to understand the interface without a proper course or tutorials.
It was absolutely awful to try to figure out the tools. Very cumbersome, not intuitive at all; would have multiple layers of buttons and controls needed to perform a simple function.

Ach H.

Motion designer

Animation, self-employed

You can't Go wrong with Blender

Transcript

Ach: Hey, my name is Ach. I'm a 3D motion designer, and today I want to talk about Blender, which I give...

Kyle W.

Corporate Videographer

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Blender Review

Transcript

Kyle: Hello, my name is Kyle, I'm a videographer. I give Blender a four out of five. And for more reviews...

Supun S.

Computer Software, self-employed

Blender - Design your own dream

If you are a beginner for the design industry and looking for free software with maximum features, Blender is the software that you are looking for. You can learn it free through free video tutorials and also you can use the software for free. Everyone can download and use this software. Therefore now you can make 3D designs or animations as your hobby. At first you may feel uncomfortable with the software but when you have a good practice with the software with the time, this will be great software for your need.

Pros

Blender is one of a best 3D designing and animation software I had have ever used. Since I did some 3D designing and animation projects in last few years, Blender helped me a lot on that. Most important advantage of this software is that the software is open source software. Therefore we can use all features of Blender fully FREE. There are no trials, demos, activations etc. Just download, install...

Cons

As Blender is multi-purpose software for design field, this can be little bit complicated for the beginners. It is very hard to access some functions through mouse pointer by going through drop down menus at every time. Since Blender has lot of keyboard shortcuts, we have to practice them. Then the functions can be accessed quickly. There are same keyboard shortcuts for different works when blender is running in specified mode. This can be a mess in beginning. There are some laggings can be seen when the software is doing CPU/GPU intensive processes like rendering and simulating, but it is rare. These types of bugs are fixed through newer updates. Blender does not have a powerful rendering engine when comparing with famous 3D animation software.

AI

Anton I.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Unimaginable power accompanies extraordinary compexity

We needed a showing gadget for our entry level makers, yet we had no additional licenses on some other programming projects for them. We chose to permit them to use Blender taking everything into account, and they undoubtedly cultivated past what we could have done using more standard programming. By and by we are endeavoring to do the change to Blender primarily from Autodesk programs.

Pros

Blender has all the part and limits of any thousand bucks, try level programming projects out there, and For nothing!!! Allowing the illustrating, etching, the use of parametric modules, UVing, invigorating and conveying, without changing to another program.

Cons

The grandiose assumption to ingest data. You should get some help here by basically chasing after an online course. The instrument stash is huge and gadget handiness has all the earmarks of being a piece unconventional. There in like manner give off an impression of being as fair number of configuration changes with each new transformation - for the potential gain, at last - yet requiring steady progressing moreover. I at times think it is best used for learning and experimentation and not such a lot for the normal person's ordinary creation.

AB

Amber B.

Not functional last update

I have used blender since 2014. I enjoyed the earlier versions, and prefer it over Maya in ease of use and price. Do not recommend any update past 2.79 if you are looking for ease and an actual useable application.

Pros

I enjoyed the earlier versions of it, with ease of use, hotkeys, and a clear, labeled interface

Cons

The new version is too chaotic, too massive of a change. The hotkeys no longer work/are not the same. Unable to create/edit anything because unable to figure out how everything works, even with the guide. Had to Change back to the old format (2.79) in order to do anything.

Tchameni C.

Graphic Design, self-employed

It can be very hard to learn

Blender is good for advanced motion graphic design. It's free and easily accessible.

Pros

Software surf is a progressive search and I have done a lot of testing and trying hoping to fall on a perfect fit. I've tried Blender for a few months and got to discover some of its coolest features.-Blender is open-source and free for almost anyone with a good PC to use. This makes it attractive because users with no budget get to work with it too.- It's cross-platform compatible: It works on popular...

Cons

Here are some of the major reasons why I switched from using Blender:- Its interface is non-standard: It has a completely different user interface that can be very difficult to master. Features are too nested and this can be overwhelming as you'll have to go through multiple features to use a specific one.- It's less supported in the market: It's true Blender is quite popular and perhaps, grows at a steady rate, however, it's still deferred in terms of widespread in the market as a lot of professionals tend to prefer other tools like Maya, After Effects or Cinema 4D. A potential reason is that these are hard to learn and are easily adaptable.

BK

Balazs K.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Blender for architectural visualization

We doing architectural and product visualization, blender is excelent choise for these

Pros

We can create soo beautiful visualizations with blender including drone videos with embedded buildings / urban 3D models

Cons

A bit difficult for beginners, but there are thousands of tutorial videos, so everybady can learn easily and free

TT

Tony T.

Design, 11-50 employees

Free 3D software that achieved industry standard level.

It is an essential part for my 3D career and I love that this software is free so it would be available to everyone who is interested in learning 3D. My overall experience has been good so far and I look forward to work with this software more for my projects.

Pros

I like the powerful tools for 3D modelling, 3D sculpting and the animation feature. The fact that this software is totally free made me love it more than any other software like 3Ds Max or Maya. The tools bundled with the software can help me create anything I want in 3D environment, the software is easy to learn and work as well.

Cons

There are some limited options compare to paid license software like 3Ds Max and Maya and sometimes when I'm working with a project, there is a bug that can crash the program but I'm careful person and always save my work frequently so that is not a big deal for me.

SA

Sajjan A.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

MY Review on Blender

Blender is so cool too with may functionalities like of paid tool. Rally loved it.

Pros

Blender is a free software and can perform incredible functions. The functionalities of blender includes 3D modelling, texturing, rendering, UV unwrapping, sculpting, fluid simulation, smoke simulation, particle simulation and may more to go. Using these functionalities one can make interactive 3D applications and develop video games. The system has keyboard shortcut for all the functions which saves time. The biggest advantage of this software is it has addons which makes the software modular.

Cons

Blender has many features and it takes long time to learn and understand those features. It takes time to learn and become a quick user otherwise you have to memorize multiple functionalities. The toolbars and other layouts can be customized according to user. The new user may not have idea and cam make them uncomfortable.

lK

lwazi K.

Animation, 1-10 employees

Blender"if you looking for a free source anim software then blender is your all in one

Help creat both 2D and 3D in the same program which makes is easy,avoiding switching programs all the time.

Pros

Blender let's you create 2D and 3D animation. It easy to you if your familiar with the animation world.if your looking for a software that let's you do animation convenient these is the one.

Cons

It was slow on my pc.but I had assistance with their software team.and they help me out it was my PC speed so now everything is running smoothly.

BP

Bed Prakash B.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Best Open Source Software for Video Editing and 2D/3D Animation

I am using blender for editing some short videos for my company's marketing campaign. I use animation loop and characters to make my video more appealing. Blender helps me to increase the reach of my company among the clients.

Pros

Blender is Open source software, we don't need to pay any penny for this. I like 2D/3D animation features. We can export animated objects as an image, 3D files, and we can export 3D videos after rendering. Besides animation, the blender is best for video editing also.

Cons

Although blender has multiple features we must have some basic knowledge in order to fully utilize blenders. Not suitable for beginners and the dashboard is less user-friendly.

Ray A.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Used other for 1-2 years

Powerful open source 3-D graphics software and editor that rivals commercially available tools

Overall, Blender is a very powerful tool, that can be used for video editing. However, because it is designed to be a 3-D graphics tool which also has video capabilities, it is not the easiest tool to use. I continue to remain intrigued by Blender and in a year or two will revisit it's video editing workflow.

Pros

Blender is used by professionals around the world. Because it is open source and has such wide usage and effort behind its development, it is very unlikely that Blender will ever fade away. Using Blender for your projects ensures long-term access to your files and you'll accumulate skills that will be useful well into the future. I used Blender only for video editing so I cannot comment on its other...

Cons

After reading and watching many tutorials on using Blender for video editing, I hoped to rely on Blender exclusively for video creation. While Blender indeed offers powerful video editing features, the average person will not find it easy to use. Blender cannot automatically detect resolution and frame rates so if you have video from different cameras and wish to edit these different resolutions...

SU

Sascha U.

Design, self-employed

Blender is one of the best open-source software packages available

I've been using Blender for over 10 years now, and it's been quite an adventure. In recent years Blender has quickly gone from being seen as a tool used by amateurs to a fully fledged 3D app. Companies like AMD, Google, and Apple have been contributing large amounts of funding and code to Blender, and it's starting to see use in many production environments. Blender truly makes high quality 3D available to all.

Pros

Blender is free and open source; Recently it has seen a lot more funding and has quickly gained popularity and seen increased use in production environments. Blender is very powerful and tries to be a bit of a swiss army knife. Though it may not be the best at anything, as a jack-of-all-trades it can do a lot. Blender makes 3D accessible to anyone.

Cons

Blender can have a bit of a steep learning curve for new users, and is lacking in some areas or functionality.

Ep

Elvis p.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Talk 3D, Talk Blender (Best 3D Software)

aside video editng, blender software has really helped me improve in my sculpting skills, as a 3D artist.

Pros

the blender software has a cental hub for tutorials that could really come in handy, and among all other 3D softwares blender seems to be the most diverse when it comes to 3D features.

Cons

For a smooth and comfortable use of blender software, user needs to make useof really high end, updated devices, and now not every one with the skills and low end devices can afford these high end devices, if some thing could be done, like providing a compactible version for low end devices, that will be great.

MS

Mphatso S.

Design, 1,001-5,000 employees

Blender 2018 Review

I use blender a lot in my work at College to make online products to help provide features to the patrons in our makerspace to help them find tools and crafting items quickly. Most recently, i used blender to make a 3D map of the space and it served my purposes extremely well because of the ease of implementation especially for low poly models and also the different lighting options that allowed me to make the final render output as close to the overall aesthetic of the makerspace as possible. It is an amazing product and it is always fun to use and play around with the hundreds of different options to get a final result that over delivers on quality.

Pros

I started using blender when i was about 13 years old. It was one of my first experiences in 3d rendering and animation and i was immediately struck by all the things you could do and all the amazing things you could. In its latest iteration, i love the extreme ease of use as well as how fast and easy it is to switch between special tools and be able to see all my options in a very uncultured but intuitive...

Cons

Blender's large library of packages and open source nature can be both great but also very overwhelming. If you are a beginner there is so much you need to learn to be able to make any descent 3D models or satisfactorily edit a model you found elsewhere and make it ready for use in another system. The huge number of tools it has can also be pretty intimidating and if you don't want to go 100% into 3D design can seem like a waste of time to use because they require a lot of practice given how precise they are. This was the biggest barrier for me especially before the latest release that has made it seem a lot more user friendly but it still has a quite a fair barrier to entry.

JS

Jonathan S.

Computer Games, self-employed

Gone has the ugly duckling!

I switched to Blender from 3D Studio Max about 8 years ago. At that time I was working with clients that had been using Blender to produce their models & really wanted to give it a fair shot. Back then the UX was a lot more difficult to get used to but once I did I found it hard to switch back. The abilities of the cycles engine also impressed me a lot & I made it a permanent switch. Fast forward...

Pros

Extremely powerful 3D suite, perfect customization for viewport displays, excellent sculpting abilities, realtime rendering with eevee, massively improved interface, plenty of plugins.

Cons

I still feel that the rigging & animation options are a little limited without plugins. I would like to see an update focusing on this with further content from the developers on how best to use them. Little in this area is covered by the community.

KD

Kamil D.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Blender - Jack of all trades

Pros

Blender's extensive capabilities cover a wide range of tasks. The convenience of editing renders directly without exporting, coupled with the node-based workflow that retains edits during re-rendering, enhances the process's efficiency. The integrated rendering engines provide practical solutions for both quick previews and full scene rendering. Blender's animation toolset excels in visualizing 3D...

Cons

While Blender's video editing capabilities are useful, they might not match the depth of specialized software. For achieving a polished final result, I'd personally switch to other, dedicated tools. On top of that, despite Blender's comprehensive animation features, the reliance on external addons for a competitive edge can be limiting. The learning curve is expected given the software's robustness, but the vast community support aids the learning process.

Aleksandra S.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Brand new look

In 2019 Blender changed a lot, making the software easy to manage. UI became simpler and more intuitive and the general design changes made it so much more viable as a professional 3D program. I have used it over the years for small projects, although they always took quite long, as the learning curve was extremely steep and for each small project there had to be hours of research. Coming back after the new version was released, I have reached my goals quite easily, effectively reducing time spent on each project.

Pros

Blender's UI is clean, elegant and intuitive. Its features are on par with those of professional 3D suites, which makes it a free alternative to industry's most known programs. The performance is quite good, considering I've been using it on a low-end PC and besides some issues with particle system, there's no considerable lag or stuttering. Plugins, extensions and user-created content makes it easy to customize and prepare for any 3D work and environment.

Cons

As the new version changed the software, the available guides and tutorials are mostly outdated, making it a bit harder to find a good learning source, as the changes were so drastic that simple commands or keybinds no longer work. Due to that some problems require reaching out to the community, which may not respond within the time constraints a professional may have.

Internet, 10,001+ employees

Amazingly powerful

Pros

Coming off of a trial of the expensive 3DS Max software, I was amazed at how fully-featured and - in some ways - better Blender was as a free 3D modeling and animation software. The biggest pro of Blender is that it is free and open-source. Despite this, Blender receives constant and game-changing updates. Blender's complete UI overhaul and introduction of the Cycles renderer are 2 recent examples. This makes me very confident in the software, as I know it won't become outdated any time soon.

Cons

Blender has a completely different methodology for adding and manipulating objects compared to Autodesk Maya/3DS Max, SFM, etc. This isn't necessarily bad - you can get used to it, and it works fine. However, I do wish there was a preset that made Blender perform more like Autodesk or SFM. I also wish the 3D cursor could be improved, as it currently feels very finicky to position and unintuitive. Maybe a preview window or some distance information can be relayed to demonstrate where the 3D cursor is relative to my curretn viewport.

Ali L.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Blender is the best Free Open source 3D modeling software

I love Blender, whenever i use it, i keep wondering how come all this power is free. and appreciate all the people who worked on it and made it possible.

Pros

Blender is a free open source software, it allows anyone to get started with 3D design and modeling very easily without paying anything, other 3D design and modeling software are very expensive. the fact that Blender is open source it make it evolve very fast and it's widely used in big projects and competes with other big names in the market of 3D design software. There are so many tutorials about...

Cons

Blender may seem very complicated and huge to new users, but it's easy to use once you start learning how to use it.

SB

Stacey B.

Computer Games, self-employed

Production quality rendering and modeling for free.

Blender works well for me building 3d models for using in Unity game development. Plugins are available with support direct export from Blender to Unity, handling model conversion and scaling for you. Extensions are simple to install and greatly expand the functionality of the software. I have worked with various 3D modeling software since the early 90's. This is hands-down the best free 3D modeling and rendering package available.

Pros

The already intuitive interface has matured over the life of this product. Sitting down with Blender after using other products entails a learning curve, but the differences are logical and functional. Support for 3rd party extensions allows for more advanced modeling and rendering supporting Production quality work an a small budget. While there are extensions for sale for use with Blender, there is also a large collection of free extensions, improving modeling, simplying complex operations on models. Support via website tutorials, online documentation as well as a large number of YouTube tutorials make learning the software extremely simple and straight forward. If you want to do something in Blender, chances are someone has documented how to do it.

Cons

The learning curve is initially very difficult The interface is setup in a logical fashion but it is different enough from other 3d modeling software that you really need to take some time initially learning basic operations. Once you have basic operations and hotkeys under control, the software becomes much easier to use.

Arianna S.

Fine Art, self-employed

One of the best free 3D modeling softwares in the world today

This is the 3D modeling program I use. I use it with a texturing software and a rendering software and sell my 3D models I make with it. It has helped me grow my business of making 3D props for game developers.

Pros

The thing I like most if the ease of use after fully understanding what everything does. It looks intimidating and complicated if you're a new user of blender, but after looking at a few tutorials of what you want to do in it, whether it be animation, character modeling, prop modeling, whatever it may be, it becomes easier to do and to understand. You do have to learn a little bit on your own, but as far as I have been using it, since 2015, I haven't ran into anything I can't do without a little bit of googling.

Cons

The thing I liked least about this software when starting out was, as I said in the pros, it is intimidating to look at when being a new user of the software. It stressed me out when I didn't know where to begin, however, this was easy to get over with some googling and a little bit of tutorials that didn't cost me a lot of time, for a big payout after I learned the software.

Ta

Taha a.

Design, self-employed

Great software , 0.1% issue .

You can make money from Blender after spending some lone time using it , you can design houses for people there is many websites which provides that service , and you will really just enjoy creating stuff maybe you will sell some but if you didnt you won’t feel bad about it.

Pros

Blender’s most attractive features is the user interface i mean when i first opened the software i was surprised how organized it is . It’s so easy to use i promise you will get used to it the first 3 days . I use it for almost everything i got addicted honestly everything i imagine i go into blender and just start making things up . Great product .

Cons

The software is great , you may face some issues during updating , you may like some update maybe you will hate it but i recommend you stick with one version unless the other version has more useful features which rarely happens . The customer services is good but not great you may wait a fee days till you get the answer . The in-software probleme is what i got from experience the rendering process is too much demanding some times my pc got turned off while rendering , this is why I recommend using a nvidia gpu . Aside from that the software is nearly perfect compared to others.

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Blender is pretty much my go-to software when it comes to creating 3D projects, 2D Art, Modeling, an

Ever wondered what a graphic designer does? It's like creating a magic trick. I used to design things for a living and for the past 10 years I've seen a bunch of changes in the industry. Software has come and gone, and I've been around for all the good ones. At the start of my career, I wasn't making enough money to justify investing in software, so I picked up a copy of Blender and I was really happy with it.

Pros

If you're looking for an easier to use, and constantly improving 3D modeling software for free, Blender is the one for you. I know this, because I just tried it out, and all I can say is I'm impressed! With so many free software options out there, I can't imagine why anyone would use Blender over others! From its high quality, to the constant improvements and updates, Blender has me hooked. I never struggle with the software. The community is the best, and I love that it is always trying to stay ahead of the game. Keep up the good work, Blender devs!

Cons

It is tough to embrace the way it works, so it takes a long time to get used to and learn to work in it. The latest versions go to improve this by making the intuitive and logical interface better and better. It is very power hungry and drains my laptop battery very fast. It is not optimized for portable devices. Should be run on desktop computers only as it heats up the system.

SU

Sean U.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Blender, the best 3d modeling software on the market!

I started using Blender at home in my personal time several years ago. I've since began working to implement its use into my job. Modeling things for posters that need to be created, modeling little characters for the news letters, things like that. Sure, maybe I put more time into it than its worth for those projects but I'm gaining more and more experience with a program I absolutely love. I cannot say enough good things about Blender. It's really been an inspiration in my life.

Pros

- Blender is free...you'd have to pay literally hundreds of dollars for anything even remotely close to Blender. - Once you learn a few hot key commands and are able to wrap your head around visualizing something in a 3D spacial environment...the world is yours. - I cant count the number of blender Tutorial channels on YouTube. Shutout to Blend Guru!! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] (I think his name is) has the best tutorials. - So many extensions and plugins available - Did I mention its free?

Cons

- This is one of the few programs I really can't find fault with.

Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees

Incredible power comes with great compexity

Blender allows you to do things you could only otherwise do with very expensive applications. It is surprisingly sophisticated for FOSS. Kind of like going from driving a Chevy to piloting a SpaceX rocket compared to most other software.

Pros

If you're looking for a program to start your journey designing in 3D, Blender is an amazing, amazing tool. There almost nothing you can't do with it. It plays well with a broad range of other Open Source software say, for example QGIS or Unreal Engine. It makes it possible to do virtual sculpture with every kind of digital tool you can imagine and, oh yeah, it's a decent video editor as well.

Cons

The steep learning curve. You're going to want to get some help here by at least signing up for an online course. The tool box is huge and tool functionality seems a bit idiosyncratic. There also seem to be as fair number of layout changes with each new version - all for the good, ultimately - but requiring constant learning as well. I sometimes think it is best used for learning and experimentation and not so much for the average person's day-to-day production.

Leon C.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Amazing, free and powerful!

With Blender I explored the world of 3D animation that I always wanted to. You do not need to be an expert to get a grasp on it, there is plenty material online to learn the basics and improve from there. I have already tried other applications and I can tell that Blender is a great option to start in this field.

Pros

Blender is very versatile software, that can be used for animation, video editing/filmmaking, videogames development and 3D modeling in general. It is capable of something soft and cute as Toy Story, but also able to do something sleek as a CGI realistic Hollywood scene such as the ones seen in Deadpool. Is as poweful as the competing alternatives and completely open source, does not require a high-spec machine to work with proper stability (Although this might vary depending on the size of the files you are working with). There are many free resources available such as tutorials, pre-made models and plugins that enhance the learning experience. Even though it is full of complexities, the user interface is very user-friendly.

Cons

Even though Blender is able to achieve industry standards results, these outcomes require an extra effort compared to other alternatives, other applications are able to accomplish smoothness in an almost automated way thanks to some filtering tools that Blender lacks, this has highly improved in the latest versions, but is still not as efficient as I would like. Blender’s Community is amazing, but they lack a proper Customer Support alternative that some competing products might have. (This is a very common issue with Open Source softwares).