Format Logo

Website builder tool for photographers and graphic designers

Format Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.29/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

eventcreate-1
bentobox

My overall experience with Format has been AMAZING. I have tried using Wix, Adobe Portfolio and SquareSpace for my online portfolio/website, but Format has been the software I Love the Most.
CUSTOMER SERVICE is top notch, and many of them are artists themselves. I love those folks, they’re all very friendly and helpful.
I love the way Format makes it easy for me to do pretty much anything I want with my site. It's a great tool for photographers and super easy to use.
Lack of personal customisation options. I have also found some flaws in the system which cause crashes ocassionally.
One thing that I do not like as well is its lack of showing analytics. If I am not mistaken, you need to pay a bit extra to see those where as with other providers they offer that standard.
One thing I dislike about Format is that you cannot pay for a 6 month plan. Its either monthly or yearly.

MP

Matthew P.

Photographer

Photography, self-employed

A great product (though I found something better)

Transcript

Mathew: Hi, I'm Matthew. I am a photographer. I give Format four stars out of five. For more reviews...

Lydia B.

Owner

Photography, 1-10 employees

Best website service out there!

Transcript

Lydia B.: I'm Lydia. I'm a small business owner and photographer, and I give Format four out of five....

JB

Julia B.

Photography, self-employed

Easy to use; Fabulous customer service!

I've recommended Format to all of my photographer friends. It would be awesome if it were cheaper but I understand all the costs associated with running an interface like this and I'm happy to oblige with the cost!

Pros

Love the simplicity and functionality of the user interface. But my absolute favourite thing is the Format customer service. No waiting on the phone to get help from someone across the world needed... you message them over the website and they get back to you so soon! And they really do listen... if you ever find something you don't like or wish they had, they will most likely include this feature in their next update!

BG

Bianca G.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

Format

Overall I’ve had for Matt for years and I’ve never had an issue with a customer support is speedy I haven’t gotten to meet up with any issues I may have

Pros

What I like the most is that it is extremely User-friendly. Setting it up your self explanatory. Nice modern layout

Cons

What I find most difficult is using it on a cellular device. On the computer it is quite easy to maneuver. However on his cell phone somethings need to be changed as far as downloading pictures

RC

Reilly C.

Used monthly for 2+ years

Easy to make a simple website

I was able to create my first website for my business without hiring a professional.

Pros

Building a website takes all of 10 minutes. Lots of customization options and with my package I can upload as many images as I'd like to show off to clients. I also love using the proofing options so my clients can view and pick out there favorite images from their person session.

Cons

There is no automatic slideshows for my website. I'd love to have my main page have pictures that fade in and out automatically.

CE

Cameron E.

Fantastic and amazing website builder that within a few clicks its professional.

Pros

My friend told me about Format after i needed to find a decent website builder to show my work and they weren't wrong. Three months later of hard building I had the best possible site to show my art and the hits have been amazing. Its easy, fast and so clear and shows all styles for everyone that wants a professional website. Text fonts, tones and unlimited pages and amazing colours and templates. I would not suggest any other website builder then Format.

Cons

I do wish it would also offer a free usage for beginners or students who cannot afford to pay a month charge.

EP

Elli P.

Photography, self-employed

I am continually impressed with their platform for the last few years!

A beautiful professional website

Pros

The ease of use and functionality - beautiful templates! I was able to quickly figure out how to select a template, alter the template, etc. even without any type of quide. I've used Squarespace and Format is so much more intuitive to me. Also I love the simplicity of most of the templates and amount you can alter them. The Proofing site is a HUGE plus as well.

Cons

Was missing a type of template that I really wanted that most photographers use (via Squarespace). They had all the pieces separately across other templates but didn't put them together.

AK

Andrew K.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Format is the perfect interface to share my portfolio, proof and deliver images, and shop my store.

Pros

It's designed for creatives and so has all the necessary features built into the design. Presentation matters and my work always looks elegant on the site.

Cons

The easier it is to do complex things on the website, the better. I'm hoping (and maybe it's already happened) that you come out with a template that would allow me to organize all my projects visually on the home page in a way that would allow me to scan through images and also have a quick description. It might already exist and I haven't taken the time to find the right template or modify the code.

KB

Ksenia B.

Photography, self-employed

I absolutely love Format - elegant, minimal look and easy to use

Pros

The design templates, simplicity, very intuitive. The best part is customer service: everyone is extremely responsive and helpful. I love a real time chat feature to solve problems. My favourite features: proof pages, sales area and customised pages. I also get a lot of positive feedback on my website from my clients. I must say, the looks perfectly reflects my brand.

Cons

There are no cons at the moment - everything seems to work properly. One feature I would love to see in the future is having a quality full screen video on the home page.

ET

Emma T.

Media Production, self-employed

Easy to update and great SEO functionality

Ease of use, easy to understand and modify, great customer service very fast and very clear in their instructions.

Pros

I love its graphic style and easy user interface, it is easy to design your website by quickly reviewing your changes.

Cons

The inability to have different sorts of galleries within one website- I would like to display my images in different ways on different pages. I would also like to be able to link to individual galleries by clicking on a single image as opposed to that just bringing up that single image.

ES

Eva S.

Photography, self-employed

Suitable my little photography bussiness. Very easy to manage my portfolio and client´s galleries.

Really easy to use. Connection with Lightroom. Easy to use for clients - including favouriting choosen photos and being able to see that back in LR. Great customer service!

Pros

Nice look, great tools which makes my work much easier. The best one is the capability to load my galleries directly from my editing software to my pages and to see the client´s choise right back in the connected editing software. Really easy for my clients to use. Save my time as well as theirs.

Cons

Emails sent from the pages are not archived, so there is a need to insert myself in a copy. Most of the fonts are not applicable for our diacritic.

NS

Nousha S.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

I'm very happy with Format, being a user for many years!

It helps me show my work to the world and connect with like minded people. Also helps me with ethics's business side of what I do.

Pros

User friendly, straight forward and clean. Anyone with min understanding of how to create a website can use and navigate it.

Cons

More options in designs and themes. Would love to see some new and exciting options, like when you can just roll the pages down instead of clicking and going to another page and...

EK

Edgar K.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

My experience has been very positive

Easy to access on multiple platforms and operating systems. Clean and clear design, totally focused on content.

Pros

Clean and focused on content. It's easy to access on multiple platforms. I believe this is the future of online portfolios.

Cons

The templates are functional but not so different between each other. I wish it could be more visual impact without neglecting its functionality - this is why I stick with Format.

IM

Ian M.

A joy to use

i'm still working on my site and and it wont be fully ready for another few weeks, but i really am enjoying the process of making it and its been fun using format. its all new to me making a website and the staff/ team have been so helpful. it been great!

Pros

its just so easy to use and get your head around and its fun trying to figure it all out. My favourite thing has been just playing around with the layout and getting things the way i want them to look for my site. the software really is user friendly and a pleasure to use.

Cons

nothing really, just kind of wished there might have been a few more simple/plain themes to choose from. that are so basic that they dont take away from the work or at least you have the option to further tweak the designs yourself.

DB

Denise B.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

Format makes web page creating so easy! I love how I can easily update and make changes on my site.

I have total control over my web page anytime.

Pros

The crisp design and layout! I love how easy it is to upload images. This system is easy to use and I am not a tech person. I truly believe I'm getting an awesome value for my money!

Cons

I would like to have stats about visits to my page and useage. I need to know who is visiting my page and how.

aw

alex w.

Photography, self-employed

Very friendly and efficient customer service! and always introducing new features which is fun.

easily contacted by potential customers

Pros

It's simple and pretty! Makes my portfolio look professional and high quality. Its easy to add and delete things as i please.

Cons

the recent overhaul of the back end was quite an adjustment. Old version seemed a bit easier to navigate right off the bat (but i've gotten used to it!)

SK

Stefanie K.

Outstanding portfolio provider. Easy to use and excellent customer service.

Pros

They are constantly improving their services and features and furthermore provide an excellent customer service.

Cons

There are some occasional bugs, that restrict the usability. Once my website was suddenly down for quite some time. But they are alsways working hard to fix everything as fast as possible.

LN

Lann N.

Format always comes through, from UX to support to innovation of an already great product.

Pros

They constantly innovate to enrich the client & end user experience. They help when needed and staff are awesome. Value for money is a no-brained with Format: it is excellent.

Cons

There is very little to say about the downside of this software. I love it and would change.nothing about it.

GR

Gianni R.

Photography, self-employed

I found the Format software by chance, while visiting the page of a photographer, friend of mine.

A lot of people got connected with my works and received positive messages about my page.

Pros

The easyness of approach in the construction of a webpage available for people like me, that know nothing about html language or programming. The possibility of choosing between different themes to give the best professional look at the galleries showing my photographic works.

Cons

There are very few things that I like the least of this software, mostly technical. But as I wrote above I have little knowledge of programming. Would love to have more flexibility in fonts and writing parts. And more possibilities to create a cover to start the webpage.

Ariadna R.

Photography, 1-10 employees

I loved using format, its easy to use and I love how fast the support team answers my questions.

I have a nice easy to use website.

Pros

Great costumer support from the chat box. Easy to use design and themes. Great proofing. Beautiful typography to choose from.

Cons

Not enough themes for wedding photography in mind and more options to add in the contact form. The photo galleries don't save automatically like they used to. You can't watermark just one proofing gallery. Proofing doesn't let you know when someone downloads all the images from the download button. You can't add a group page linked to a blog post. Doesn't have a Facebook group with format team and users for support and questions.

WC

WISE C.

Photography, self-employed

When ever I need help their customer service is always there to help

Clients book me

Pros

I like how I am able to have a sleek website design at an affordable price. And how easy it is to customize it

Cons

There's not much I don't like about it but if I were to say it would be that I wish there were more design options

SW

Shira W.

Awesome!

Pros

I love that it's so easy to use! I'm not great with graphic design & all that tech stuff but I was able to make a nice looking website on my own. And when I needed help someone was always available & if not they got back to me quickly

Cons

I can't integrate custom fonts. For some of my pages I'd like to use fonts that I've purchased for a more customized look

JH

Jameela H.

Great website builder

Pros

Extremely easy to use. It requires the user to create an account, upload their images and then allows for customization or switching between themes. Users can link a custom domain and view their live site easily from the dashboard.

Cons

The theme library was slightly limited. Otherwise its a great portfolio builder option.

DH

David H.

Architecture & Planning, self-employed

Excellent way to show off your resume and products

Big help to expand the resume information and place all of my relevant data in one place

Pros

Ease of use for the program. Easy to load new attachments. Several templates that can showcase your work.

Cons

Don't like the new design updates that keep coming up, I am happy with what I have. Some of the formatting needs to be fixed. When you list a series of items as bullets, if the bullet is too long it returns to the next line and does not lie up (with the bullet indent) Also would like to be able to add more pdf file attachments and add a video to the site

JL

John L.

Photography, self-employed

I Love Format. So easy to use and aesthetic too.

It's helped me to showcase my work effectively over past few years.

Pros

Format looks faboulus. The proposed templates are refined and esthetic. It's dead easy to use. Uploading pics couldn't be easier. On rare occasions I've had to call customers service for help and I've always been given positive advice very fast.

Cons

There's hardly anything I don't like about Format. Perhaps Id like to have a little more control over the typos and general layout. But all in all it's nearly always met my needs.

IS

Ismael S.

Good

Pros

That's it's easy to use! People are helpfull when i ask or have some question. But i think they can make the format for model Agencies a lot asier.

Cons

That it doesn't work somethimes. That i can't move pictures . I think they can work on that! Why is it not possible?

LS

Lauren S.

Great for my website!

Pros

I love how easy this is to use, and that someone is always there to help. It's been a great way to start my business & the layout is beautiful.

Cons

Sometimes the layout confuses me a bit but I'm not sure how I'd change it. It's pretty good for the most part!