IronWorker Logo

Container operations management for all business sizes

IronWorker Reviews

Suggested alternatives

cycloid
datadog-cloud-monitoring
manageengine-applications-manager

Helps to change the serial processing and get all the benefits of parallel cloud computing. Great intuitive UI with all the needed details.
Very easy to use, the analytics is great option for use to optimize our code, the guarantee cron job is peace of mind to our business.

Dan M.

Internet, 51-200 employees

Simple set up, very good support, and clean interface

I like Iron Worker. I don't use all of the features but it has helped a lot with scaling up and streamlining functions in my app.

Pros

It's simple but scalable, the support is very good. When setting up I had a lot of questions and they respond quickly. I like the interface, the ability to easily see exactly what is contained in each request is great and the API is straightforward.

Cons

There is not much middle ground on the pricing, it's either an opening price point plan with more limited features, and then the next level jumps up significantly in price. I am using this for an app that is not processing a up huge volume of traffic so I am able to get by with the features on the lowest price point plan, but I would like something offered in the middle that doesn't jump up in price so steeply. I should mention I am using the worker via the Heroku app. The only other negative is that the worker has gotten hung up on me a couple of times but it has only happened minimally and they are quick to resolve once I report it.

Internet, 1-10 employees

Highly scalable infrastructure, plus fast and easy code releases thanks to Docker integration

Overall, I am very satisfied with IronWorker and I have recommended it to my friends and colleagues

Pros

I love that Iron Workers can now be loaded using Docker containers! Speeds up release time exponentially and makes testing significantly easier since my local environment is always the same as the production environment. It is also fairly easy to push workers directly from my code base (PHP) or create crons that are run from the command line.

Cons

The docker documentation is poor. Each time I needed to launch a worker in a new environment, I needed to talk with Iron support team to help them build the Dockerfile. IronWorker doesn't appear to be primary product of Iron either (that would be IronMQ), so updates to the platform are somewhat infrequent.

MP

Marc P.

Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 employees

It does what I’d expect it to do

Asynchronous, retried job dispatch such as sending emails

Pros

It is relatively low effort. Solves the retry to send this to a third part some what simply.

Cons

Testing is a pain. Getting the correct dependancies installed can feel like a lottery. It feels like it has been abandoned in terms of updates.

Atul K.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

With their unique cloud features, IronWorkers are simple to set up and maintain

IronWorker is mostly used by us to schedule tasks that would otherwise call for running CRON on a dedicated computer. IronWorker makes it simple to schedule jobs in a cloud environment, especially a persistent one. Before, a computer running a cron daemon was required. Do it now. It's absolutely wonderful. simple to use And it supports PHP natively.

Pros

It is quite simple to assure consistency with your local environment because IronWorkers deploys the workers using Docker containers. My PHP code is immediately executed by IronWorker. Jobs may be easily scheduled. The scheduler is a fantastic feature, too. simplifies the process of running PHP functions in the cloud without the need to set up servers or containers. They all agree that using this tool will help you maintain order in your creative process.

Cons

The dashboard doesn't provide a means to change code. Uploading the full solution is necessary in order to update the code, even for a little modification. Typically, this is not an issue. The upload procedure is quite laborious. To edit my code online in a browser window would be ideal. For the previous several years, the product hasn't undergone much innovation, but I don't think that's necessary.

Abhinav K.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

DevOps solution to speedup the Software development.

Iron Worker helps in simplifying the development and focus on the cost cutting. The custom auto scaling helps to set the threshold limit so we should not run out of budget. The opensource server-less computing with help of IronFuncation give the wings to application and help in integrating with the containers .

Pros

Iron Worker helps in managing the multiple management portfolio to speed up the software development and delivery. It also provides the flexibility while designing the deployment cycle for different level of architecture. Brief metrics help in auditing and identifying area of improvements. Simple Queue Service is much more enhanced and provide the multiple option like sharing the queue and generating the report and analytics to get the area of cost cutting. SQS dashboard help to analysis all the things in the single panel window. Authentication is provided with the token which make the queue share possible without compromising with the security.

Cons

REST based API configuration is little complex and we need to go through the documentation before implementation as user interface for setup wizard should be user friendly and simple.

Daniel M.

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

The ORIGINAL serverless platform

This is a great solution to the "cloud cron" problem. Scheduling of jobs is easy. No need to have a cloud instance running cron.

Pros

I love the ability to schedule jobs to run at regular times. Native PHP support is also a great plus.

Cons

Occasionally jobs stall in the queue and need to be manually pushed through. This has not happened recently.

Toby B.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Effective cloud message queue

We use Iron Worker for the rise.global SaaS software to handle post score bulletin activities such as data cleaning, email notification queue. It works well out of the box and is very reliable.

Pros

Easy to set up and create additional message queues Very robust and reliable

Cons

You can't see messages waiting in the queue

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 201-500 employees

Great Service

Pros

Iron provides great documentation which makes it simple to get started running workloads on their system that can then scale as far as you need.

Cons

Some of the offerings overlap with AWS which may be a better choice if you're already using Amazon or Google's clouds.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

I use Iron services every day.

Pros

Cons

Very short window of period on worker history, so that we have to track and store every tasks with the payload and the result.

Scott R.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Solid service but can get pricey

Very reliable, stable and quick to learn platform which would be even better if a little cheaper.

Pros

Easy to get started and upload in my case, PHP packages to do some queue processing.

Cons

As soon as I threw good amounts of traffic at the service, costs would add up pretty quickly. In the end it was cheaper to run my own queue servers instead of using third party.

JS

James S.

Serial processing to parallel processing with Iron Worker

As per my mini essay above!

Pros

Iron Worker is a great way to move your workflows from serial to parallel. This tool is actually a bit hard to wrap your head around, but it effectively enables either a large job to be sliced up into smaller, bit-sized chunks and processed concurrently, or can process lots of small tasks concurrently. What this means is that instead of having a bottleneck in your data production line (borrowing a...

Cons

The tool is a little tough to understand at first, but really this makes it a bit of a secret as many people don't understand how to employ it and reap the rewards. Worker came originally from a consulting solution to large company problems around these production line issues (I have chatted with the CEO over a call), and it really does a good job at it. Additionally, the docs are a little tricky to pick up at first, but is worth the effort to overcome. I do wish Iron would simplify some of their docs and there is a bit of versioning.

AF

Andre F.

Massively Important Functionality Missing

Pros

I like the formatting in which logs are displayed through Iron.

Cons

I can't stand that there is no search functionality in the application. In order to find a log I may have to page through hundreds of times in order to find the one specific log and that's hoping that I don't accidentally miss it while paging through. The fact that I can not search for a specific and known Task Label to retrieve that specific log instance I am looking for, is why I would not recommend Iron to others. The fact that I can only get 7 days worth of logs is also not great for OUR purposes. But the lack of a search feature/function is the #1 issue for Iron in my opinion. There really needs to be an exposed, front end, search feature/function added for Iron to be a more efficient product.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Nice but a little expensive

Overall I was really thankful for it and initially it enabled me to do some things that would have been very, very difficult on other platforms.

Pros

I used Iron Worker for a couple of automated processes like running subscription payments for the gym software that I built. I found a PHP plugin that got me up and running really quickly and initially the cost was very low. I couldn't have had everything working as quickly and as well as I did with any other platform than Ironworker.

Cons

Quite honestly it got expensive to the point that it was cost prohibitive. It ended up being cheaper for me to spin up an EC2 instance and run my processes using cron jobs on a virtual server. I haven't checked the pricing recently so it might have changed, but at the time it became too expensive to use.

Iron.IO Makes Worker Deployment Simple

Overall, I throughly enjoy my experience with Iron.IO except for a few caveats.

Pros

The hybrid service is excellent and allows for greater control for my usage and us very simple to deploy new instances with one command.

Cons

They Autoscaling is not true autoscaling... It will not automatically add the Security Groups when scaling up. Therefore, I still need to be available to add security.

Insurance, 10,001+ employees

Iron Worker Review

Pros

Iron Worker provides our company in depth monitoring capabilities that help our IT support teams quickly identify bottlenecks and reduce Mean Time Restore.

Cons

Iron Worker provides extensive capabilities and thus there is a learning curve for navigating the tool and finding the data that is needed, but becomes much easier to use once you know how to navigate.

Semiconductors, 201-500 employees

Good service but price model is questionable

Use baseline service during pilot stage, works well. With our volume increase, baseline service shows reliability issue and sometime out-of-sync. So we are suggested to use either enterprise or on-premise deployment. The question is, it's just small part of our overall architecture but either E/P services charged too much. So our engineer build similar home-made solution within ~3 weeks to replace it.

Pros

Good functionality set, customer support is fast and expert level

Cons

The baseline service and enterprise service had a huge gap. Baseline service is high value-of-return but can't guarantee performance and promised behavior. Enterprise service is over-charged comparing with other similar Cloud service.

IB

Ivan B.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Humble review

I'm running multiple tasks to collect and update various stats and analytics. Having a persistent cron-like jobs runner is very handy. Ability to queue task via API is helpful too but in my case, I'm not using it extensively.

Pros

Fast and simple deployment of updates via Docker.

Cons

UI of the control panel. Inability to filter or sort scheduled tasks (especially by payload). Inability to temporary pause scheduled task. Inability to search through tasks logs. Artificially reduced in size Config editor in Codes.

CM

Chris M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Easy to use caching + worker deployment

Pros

Very easy to integrate the product; highly available service; great performance.

Cons

Little support and support by email takes a very long time to get a response. Platform availability great but they could improve customer service support and documentation or knowledgebase.

IM

Ingram M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Simplicity comes at a price

Very happy with Iron Worker. The only issue is the pricing is very high, compared to other shared resource processing.

Pros

- Simplicity of use - Language support - Good dashboard and reporting

Cons

- Expensive - Seems to slow down a bit on the shared Iron Workers at about 1pm GMT, when the USA starts its working day

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Very useful product

Pros

API is very easy to use. Easy to navigate the website

Cons

System goes down occasionally. Also often the timer for the worker will continue counting even after the job succeeds in our system, and will only stop counting when the page is refreshed.

SL

Stephen L.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Makes my job so much easier

Pros

I love how it easy it makes my job. By automating part of our processes, it saves us so much time!!

Cons

It was difficult for me to figure out how to go online and change my CC# information. But once I figured it out..it was fine.

VD

Vaurn D.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Iron- The good and the bad

As any SAAS, iron has its pros and cons, in my organisation we heavily rely on iron and for good reason. But we do not rely on the iron logs as much, probably because we have other better logging services in place.

Pros

Pros : 1. Great for automation 2. Great for scheduled task execution. 3. The concurrency feature is awesome.

Cons

Cons : 1. Very limited task logs, and is could use some more features and be more detailed.

TN

Thomas N.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

OK but some enhancements sorely needed

Pros

Easy to use and integrate with, feels like a cloud service

Cons

Web UI really needs a search and filtering feature (it's extremely frustrating to click next 100 times to get to the task you need out of a 5000 tasks)

JN

Josh N.

Quality Worker System

Pros

Workers are workers, but the ease of integration and the ability to visualize our queues across multiple tenants was really valuable for our company.

Cons

A couple times we had issues where the our system wasn't delivering jobs to the queues because the workers IPs had changed. While this was problematic for a few hours it was easily resolved.

CP

Cesar P.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Iron Review 1-11-2019

Pros

The user interface and the ability to re-run tasks.

Cons

customer support is sometimes slow to respond.