Protractor.NET Reviews

Karen C.

Kurt K.

Training videos are very very well made and actually helpful. Tech support is awesome.

Mike D.

Cons

There is not a part that can get lost or not billed out. We found a lot of lost dollars by tracking the cores and returns as the system does.

Carl R.

Many operating issues that protractor will not inform you about when they are selling the product. Customer support is nonexistent and overall very rude company to deal with.

Adrian P.

The pain of switching to and learning a new system.

Tim S.

4.6

Great POS Software with Excellent Customer Service

Pros

The customer service team would answer my calls ANYTIME day or night. I believe I even called on a Saturday once and got a response.

Cons

They made it hard to choose another POS software LOL ... they were great.

AMS is the only company you should consider when making your decision.

AMS as a company is the best part of the experience! I delayed the conversion for about a year because I was agonizing over the learning process of changing the POS. Now looking back, I wasted a year of waiting. AMS made the process so easy! They are well versed in the product they support and they held our hand during the entire journey. AMS educated us extremely well before going live. On the day...

Pros

How customizable the reports are in Protractor. In the previous POS system, you got your information from a set of reports. I had to look at several reports to get the info I needed. With Protractor, I can build a dashboard that has all the information I need to look at on one screen. Estimating a large ticket is under 5 minutes, so easy! ROW it took over a half an hour. The time saved pays for the cost of the software. It's all in the cloud so my network issues with ROW have gone away. I can log into the system with my laptop, no more teamviewer.

Cons

The conversion didn't bring over declined services. A little hassle to look back into the old software. As time passes, that issue is slowly disappearing. Not a deal breaker.

Broken Promises

Most shop management systems focus on auto shops needs. Protractor is an accounting program piggybacked with a shop management program. I was with Protractor over a year and they did not fulfilled their promises for example, an oil sticker label or to fix CarFax. I went back to my previous system where CarFax is working properly yet Protractor says it is not a Protractor problem, it is a CarFax...

Cons

Hi George, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Regarding product developments we are constantly updating the Protractor product based on customer requests and work on as quick a schedule as we can. As it happens we do now have an oil sticker integration available. Regarding carfax, there are no known issues at this time except for in a few territories that are out of our control which...

Awesome Very User Friendly System

Dependability and stable system, cloud based system with no back ups or disc needed. Made hardware expense much less

Pros

How easy it is to use, speed of making estimates and work orders, the customization to personal needs, support from AMS is second to none

Cons

The fact that AMS Protractator wasn't purchased sooner

Protractor review

We had data corruption and the old software wasn't keeping up with new technology. Protractor is cloud based.

Pros

Easy for the service Writers to learn and use.

Cons

The pain of switching to and learning a new system. AMS did a great job of on-boarding us. Still not fun though!

Protractor is leading edge tech

We already see an increase in our bottom line due to the effortless integration of the estimating process and the linking of recommended services. We look forward to understanding better than ever the inefficiencies of production as we now have a way to track that better than we have ever had. Our techs are on board with the production tracking and seem to be surprisingly interested in this feature as well. Just sitting here many things come to mind inventory and core tracking abilities, all the many reports that reveal the inner secrets of the entire operation like never before. There's a lot to work with here.

Pros

It appears to be limitless in what you can do with it if you can think of it they can probably do it. The protractor software is already loaded with more features and benefits than I will utilize in a year. The conversion process was effortless and done in the background by their support team, the ease of getting the system up and running was surprising. However, we did spend time getting familiar...

Cons

We had to wait several months for the integration process to export to QuickBooks. The time it took to get out of my mind the thought “This isn’t the way we have been or use to do it.”

Larry, we love that you are already seeing an increase in your bottom line! You and your team did a great job preparing for the transition, and it paid off. If there is anything else we can do for you, let us know. - Scott, AMS

Great POS

Overall it is the best solution to our everyday shop needs. It's easy for technicians as well as service advisors to use. I highly recommend giving it a try!

Pros

Protractor is so easy to use. Love how it improves all the time. Users are able to input what they would like to see and have and the Protractor team get to work to make it happen.

Cons

I wish you could sort vehicles under a customers name by make or model. It would help with some customers/businesses that have a fleet of vehicles.

Growing to success!!

My experience has been great. If you are or are not in the market for SMS software you owe it to yourself, and the profitability of your company to check it out. I believe that AMS and Protractor have been the best investment for my company and am looking forward to working with them going into the future.

Pros

We have much more control over all aspects of the day to day operations of the company. The advisers are able to write work orders faster, the integration with third party applications is flawless. AMS is probably the best training group around and walked us through every step of the installation. AMS support after the sale is by far the best I have ever experienced and I have used a lot of software in the past.

Cons

Steep learning curve; but, very worth it. Focus on the software and you can implement it quickly and will most likely be the last SMS software you ever purchase.

Excellent Service Management System.

Improved Hours/RO and Improved Ave/RO

Pros

Ease of use. Lots of updates and improvements. Good support. I like the way they are continually improving the software and seem to be moving towards electronic dispatch.

Cons

the prioritization screen is clunky for us to use. They are improving it every update and look forward to the day we can use it as our primary dispatch.

Hi Mark, Thank you for choosing Protractor and we are happy that you are experiencing higher RO and hours per RO. We are constantly listening to our customers requests and adding productive features on a regular basis.

We switch from protractor, and ended up with it again a few months later

We used protractor, and switched from it to try to save a few bucks per month...We hated the other system we went it, tried more systems and ended up back with protractor and couldn't be happier. This system is so easy to use, so accurate, its a no-brainer to end up with it. All the custom reports you can run, to inventory setup, automatically looking up labor and parts. 5/5 stars. Would buy again.

Pros

The learning curve is small, Ease of use my wife (who is not from the auto industry) can build tickets and estimates very quickly. Parts lookup is nice and easy to use. The customer support if you ever do have any issues is second to none.

Cons

So far, the few small small issues we have had, have been fixed quickly in the weekly updates.

Kurt, we are glad to have you back! And thank you for the shout out to our customer support. Customer support is a top priority for us. If you need anything else, let us know. - Scott, AMS

Best Automotive Management Software Out There

Excellent

Pros

The reporting and ease of setting up customized reports. The developers seem to update this software with new features often. The ability to find things easily. I did a lot of research and Protractor hands down is the most complete package out there.

Cons

The scheduler could be better. Although the returns tracker is good, too many steps to get a simple process done. The messaging notifications could be improved.

Started January 1st 2018 and moving along smooth.

Pros

The main thing I like is the support. Making a transition from my former software was pretty painless. Not only do I have support from Protractor but more support from AMS Protractor, located in North Carolina, that I purchased it from. There are so many features available in this program that a detailed person like me loves. They are willing to listen and change features. Nice having updates, with no hassle, every month. I feel I have made a great decision choosing them. Another plus, my average RO is up too because of Protractor.

Cons

The reporting is so massive and customizable that it takes a bit to get used to. But once you get a hold of it, it is amazing.

Eric, thanks for the nice review! Glad to hear Protractor is going well for you, and like you, we love seeing all the new updates each month. - Scott, AMS

What a great software system for the Automotive Service Business

We have increased the bottom line and I wish we implemented this last November when I sign up for the software.

Pros

User friendly. The learning curve is very small/short. Once it all clicks the time it take to build a work order and order parts is amazing. It has been able to help increase the Average Repair order and the productivity in the shop as well.

Cons

Not being able to control some of the inputs of info. i.e. Making sure we get email address. You can complete the work order/Invoice without inputting all the data. Where as in other software you can turn on required field that has to have the data to close out the Repair order

Roy, glad to hear things are going well, and that Protractor has been able increase your bottom line. We appreciate you being an AMS Protractor customer. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks, Scott Thorley

Glad we made to change from RO Writer.

Great so far

Pros

Writing an estimate is much easier & quicker. Combined reports are very nice.

Cons

Missing a couple of things that RO Writer did that Protractor is going to do in the future.

Mark, glad to hear things are going well since your switch. Stay tuned as Protractor keeps rolling out new features every month. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks, Scott Thorley, AMS

Great Product

I have been using Protractor since the beginning of 2013. The .Net version is considerably faster than the older version and has a lot of new features. I like the fact that it is a web based system and I never have to worry about backups. There support is great, they usually get back to us in less than an hour. I like the fact that they come out with an update each week. They are always adding new...

Cons

combines both accounting and shop management

Most shop management systems focus on auto shops needs and most accounting programs are hard to use for shop management. Protractor combines both accounting and shop management.

Pros

how there is one contact that covers everything from parables receivables and shop management

Do Not Recommend

Pros

Haven't found anything that this software will do that cheaper more efficient software will also do

From a Long time user

I have been using Protractor for 8 years. The system called Legacy has been upgraded to the .net version and I really like this version because of the speed difference from the older version and the ease of use. Its easy to setup but like any new software , it takes some getting used to but I would not go back to the old version now. Pros : Work Speed , ease of use , multiple invoices can be...

newbe

Pros

I am getting use to it, easy more every day

Cons

getting use to it ,the customer service has helped me learn. I'm computer stupid

Dave, thanks for the review. Everyone learns in different ways, so we provide online training videos, help files, and even the good old 'pick up the phone and call us anytime!' - Scott, AMS

Money Maker

I have been running the .NET version of Protractor for the last 1.5 years and the only thing I can say is.... Incredible!!! From the moment I switched over, I saw an increase in labor sales. At first I thought it was just a coincidence but turns out the labor matrix was factoring the extra charge that I always forgot to put in. The way the invoice printout is remarkable as my clients understand their invoices (storybook). I can throw a "grocery list" estimate together under 5 minutes... All the labor guides are built in and that makes it very fast. If your looking for really good software to make you money. Protractor is the only one you need to look at.

Quality product

We have been Protractor system users for over 10 years and the new .net version is a must-have. Many excellent features and more on the way as user requests are listened to and implemented. Training program very precise and informative. As with any new system, there is a period of adjustment to change from legacy but Guy and the tech support staff are outstanding and there to help whenever needed. Speed, inventory module and multiple invoice capability + upgraded accounting features are just a few of the pros of the new system. Takes some getting used to but benefits well worth the challenge of change.

Protractor .Net Software

We have upgraded all of our shops the the new .Net software. Migrating from the Legacy software to .Net was fairly easy both from the back office side and the front counter. Protractor support and Guy Lapierre have been extremely helpful during and after the transition. We have made several programming requests that have been implemented or are in the process that have helped in the daily operation of our business. Also like that .Net automatically updates (no more having to go to each computer to update). Glad we updated to .Net!

It just works!

Having been automated since 1989, first with Super Fred, then MaxxTraxx then Mitchell, ten years ago we switched to Protractor and never looked back. One of the most outstanding features with Protractor is the unbelievable Support Staff. Quick. Knowledgeable. Concerned. The cloud based program is easy to use and as POWERFUL as you could want. Accounting in .NET is amazing and with the cloud based program, my CPA can log in at any time, saving almost enough money monthly to pay the subscription!!

Works Great

Pros

Works much smother and faster than previous software.

Cons

Lots of change from previous software, difficult learning.

Mike, Glad to have you on board! - Scott, AMS

There is no better software out there!

I have been using the product for the last 8 years. The previous version called Legacy was great, but was limited by its ability to use multiple work orders. The new .net version is 10 times as fast, intuitive and requires little training. People ask me what can it do? It runs everything in your business and it is all point and click! Stop looking at out of date software, this is the one you need!