WebTitan Logo

WebTitan

DNS-based web filter, malware/phishing protection & security

WebTitan Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.55/10

Reviews by rating

Pricing is competitive with other web filtering technologies we have deployed in the past. Active Directory integration is a great feature and helps you identify user behavior.
Ease of use is important for my company so my assistants can help monitor and adjust settings as needed. TitanHQs support is great as well.
Great value for money, easy to use and good responsive customer support, I would recommend to customers.
A hell of a lot of personal maintenance trying to get it working as expected.
The DNS Proxy is another annoying black box VM to have to "maintain.

Joel S.

Very easy to use and works better than more expensive products.

Pros

The gui and setup are very easy to use. Network integration was easy and rule setup was very user friendly.

Cons

Slower response time for when I need in depth reports on specific users and their internet utilization.

CF

Cody F.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

OpenDNS features without the Cisco pricing

I have had nothing but good experiences with WebTitan. This includes support and billing services as well as product functionality.

Pros

We replaces an onsite Barracuda webfilter 410 with the WebTitan service and did not miss a beat.

Cons

What's not to like. No hardware to maintain, simple setup, more than adequate reporting, similar feature list to competitors.

Very average product. Works fine, but feels very dated in usability and interface

Less spam, since O365 spam filtering is woefully inadequate.

Pros

It does work fairly well at keeping out spam, and the daily summary emails of what is in the quarantine makes it manageable.

Cons

The interface feels horribly dated and has not improved at all since we started using it a couple years ago. It reminds me of early cpanel iterations in terms of UI. Also, the inability to manage what file extensions are blocked is a let down (be it add more, or let ones through that we need).

BT

Bradley T.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Great Product - Easy to implement!

So far, for the price, the software has exceeded our expectations. We have already implemented the remote agents to over 100 machines.

Pros

I love the ability to utilize the remote agent to allow computers to stay under our company's web-filter policy while working remotely.

Cons

The only thing that we dislike so far is the fact that it can sometimes take hours for the policy changes to take effect.

SL

Steve L.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Not bad

Pros

Implementation is easy, adding sites to the white/blacklist is simple. Creating policies is overall pretty smooth, have had to contact support a couple of times.

Cons

The DNS Proxy is another annoying black box VM to have to "maintain".

PK

Paul K.

Simply works...

The main benefit is having the confidence that the product will perform the needed job without constant attention and/or tinkering.

Pros

Does it's intended functions, Does it very, very well, and requires minimal hands on time from IT staff. Overall, a highly satisfactory product.

Cons

Initial configuration can be a bit time consuming, but that's more due to the nature of the product and function than any deficiency in Web Titan itself.

Steve C.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 5,001-10,000 employees

Lovely web access control tool

Pros

Webtitan is a truly powerful and feature rich software. Some of its best features include the ease of setting it up, its ability to filter encrypted connections, the ability to filter specific url their fantastic customer support.

Cons

There's a lack of flexibility with the reporting. Spam pass through occasionally.

BV

Bjarke V.

We have been very satisfied customers for many years, we are still amazed how well it's performing.

Pros

Ease of use, the capture rate, the amount of false hits. It's super low by the way. Maybe 1 in 2000. Customer support, Titan is super responsive.

Troy S.

Best Bang for your Buck

Increased productivity and network security.

Pros

The interface is as simple as it gets. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Customer service has always been prompt and effective. The support team has always been able to resolve my issues on the first try whether it be on the phone or via email.

Cons

There are a couple of features I wish were implemented, but given time I think it will come together.

Saleh B.

Consumer Services,

We were safe from Ransomware worst hits and our email accounts very clean of any illegitimate email

Pros

Multi layered filtering techniques and automated setup let you start directly with minimal configurations.

Cons

Sometimes defining Filter Roles requires some sort of knowledge on information security techniques.

MC

Marcel C.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

SpamTitan is our favorite anti spam solution.

We had other solutions in the past, very awkward to deal with, many false positives. With SpamTitan, everything is under control. We had a few spoofing issues and support directed us toward the right settings.

Pros

We are using the Cloud version. The console is quite easy to use and there are many options that can be configured to take care of every aspect of email security. Support is fast and always find the solution to isssues we bring up. We cannot live without Anti spam solution nowaday and it is very important that the tool be efficient and easy to use.

Cons

No cons to report. The only thing I can think of would be the ability to go back further in time in the quarantine zone. I understand that this means quite a lot of storage, but this is the only thing I can think of.

BM

Brian M.

Insurance, 201-500 employees

Webtitan Cloud Good For the Cost

Inherited product when starting new position, overall happy with the product and cost is on the low side. Features seem to be better in some of the other offerings we are evaluating, Cisco Umbrella as an example.

Pros

Cloud based management with proxies onsite. Easy to change rules and allow one time access to blocked sites for approved use. Logging is good.

Cons

Remote users, laptops and home users are not protected when off company network. Relying on the proxy servers as dns servers works great when onsite. Has a hard time with Remote Desktop Servers, identifying users... these may be misconfigurations but we have not found an easy way for their WADA to break out RDS users.

MR

Mike R.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Webtitan - works well but hard to troubleshoot

Pros

It seems to work as advertised with very little management of it.

Cons

Troubleshooting through history is very limited. Without setting up a syslog server to send logs to, it only has it's history page to look through. Within this page: - I can only filter by day, but not using a specific time range in that day. - I cannot search by destination using the FQDN, although it gives the field - I cannot filter by Effective Policy - I can filter by user, but due to the setup on the site, much of the user shows up as Anonymous - There is an export feature, from which I can use Excel to do my searches, but it only exports the records visable on that one page. With the amount of endpoints I'm using, that is only about 6 mins worth of logs.

MR

Monica R.

Libraries, 1-10 employees

WebTitan

The software is performing the functions we need it to do. However, the user interface is hard to learn and not being able to see the page of a site that has been blocked just because it is an unknown category makes it very hard to decide whether or not to allow it.

Pros

It provides CIPA protection to our patrons at a reasonable price.

Cons

When we are notified by WebTitan about a website that has been blocked or is questionable, we can't even check it out to see if we should allow it because it is blocked even at the administrative level. It would be nice to at least see a preview of the site so we could make an informed decision. Instead, we have to guess based on the web address and block everything that we aren't totally sure of. It would REALLY be nice to see a preview in the notification e-mail and the option to block or allow it from there.

LG

Lee G.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Simple and Easy to Set up DNS and Web Monitoring Solution

Overall very satisfied. For the price point, I don't think it can be beat.

Pros

Fairly simple setup, easy to use and maintain, effective, and customer service has always been great.

Cons

Sometimes users end up with multiple profiles in WebTitan due to the way roaming laptops work. That's not necessarily WebTitan's fault but it's still annoying.

11-50 employees

We have been using WebTitan for 4 years now, it works and the customer support is good

The product helped us filter out dangerous websites and keep our workstations virus free.

Pros

It's easy to install and configure. Administering it is an easy task, as you can generate reports and make change very fast and easy. The customer support team responds very quickly to your service requests and is quite knowledgeable.

Cons

We had a physical problem with our server and we had to reinstall on a new machine. Backups from v4 were not compatible with v5 of the software, so we had to reconfigure the webtitan instace manually from scratch.

DR

David R.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Appliance on site, we'll celebrate the 74.000.000 message processed in few days...

A clean mailbox each morning, a dailly report with potential false positive, a lot of rules, a lot of settings to avoid spending hours sorting your mail...

Pros

- Great GUI, - a lot of features to earn time and reduce load on mail server, - Excellent feedback from users, - tons of spam removed without any action. - reactive helpdesk - Remote assistance if required (through tunnel SSH)

Cons

No cons about the software, pricing could seems expensive, it's not if you check the dailly time you do not spend ...

DB

Daniel B.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Better than I expected.

This is a great product and solution 10/10.

Pros

Very simple setup, migrating clients from the old service was extremely quick and on boarding of new clients is just as quick. The reporting features are easier to configure and the information is presented in a much better format. Content filtering includes the ability to block ad domains, granted this doesn't catch every ad site but enough that it makes a difference. The best part is the free support. Tickets can be opened by a phone call or through a web portal. I've gotten rapid responses and quick resolutions to any request I've made.

Cons

I've really been racking my brain on this one and I can't thing of anything I, my company, or my clients dislike about this solution.

DJ

Dalton J.

I needed a spam filtering service for our nonprofit's website.

Pros

The software works behind the scenes, allows me to add sites I want blocked, or choose from lists generated daily (as spam comes in), and block them as desired. I also can release or whitelist based upon my desire to see more info from the blocked email.

Cons

Kaspersky has a bad reputation in the USA. I have sent a question to the company about this, but received no response to date. This software uses their tools to do its work. Also, some emails I want to see come through, and then in the reply thread, an email that has passed to me gets blocked as the original sender replies to me. Then I have to look for it, whitelist it, (sometimes even copy / paste that email address in my approved senders list) to ensure the thread to continue.

kj

keith j.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

Overall its been good

Filtering users from bad websites and ease of usage

Pros

Its easy to use . Web filtering is easy to turn on and off. User imports are simple too. Customer support is been good.

Cons

The reporting part is not nearly as good as Websense product was. Its not even close. . Also we cannot filter individual users for more than 1 ip address to bypass the filtering which is a big pain point for us.

RR

Robert R.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

SpamTitan has cut-down on spam for me and many of my clients dramatically.

I resell it to my clients

Pros

The interface is very clean and fast, though a bit outdated-looking. The spam digest reports look nice and contain enough info to be very useful.

Cons

The cost is very high. Setting up custom filters is difficult. There should be quicker and easier ways for end-users to block messages from senders that change part of their address every time. Multi-factor authentication would be a plus. Would be nice to configure spam digest timing individually for each domain and possibly multiple digests per day. The Outlook add-in is very user unfriendly to install and configure and there seems to be no notifications of updates.

JM

James M.

We've been a WebTitan customer for 5+ years now. Great solution for our small office!

Pros

- Visibility; reports, history etc - Support; fantastic response time and one on one help - Active Directory integration - Ease of set up and implementation - Quick method to white-list sites

Cons

- Needs request reboots to keep things working well - Some HTTP 1.1 sites simply will not work, even via bypass

SK

Steve K.

Insurance, 51-200 employees

Webtitan feedback

A hell of a lot of personal maintenance trying to get it working as expected.

Pros

it is relatively inexpensive and initially easy to deploy.

Cons

The licence key being on the config.ini which also managed dns forwarders and bypass ip is difficult to manage once the product it out. The licence key keeps changing so that you cannot audit them in a script. If you need to add a new dns forward, you have to script this which out changing the licence key. Currently our install is still not working as it should as bypass does not seem to be doing its job so we are relying on dns forward when we shouldnt have to. Any changes require scripting. If the licence key was not in the config.ini then ammendments would be easy to make, but i would not recommend this product unless you have a good powershell scripter. We have had various issues with the product that are hard to track until you stumble on them.

DW

Dianna W.

Libraries, 1-10 employees

Blocks what needs blocking

I think the first year has a learning curve. After that, it isn't as hard to go through your program. I appreciate that it works in the back ground so I don't have to constantly observe the web sites used here.

Pros

The best part of WebTitan is not having to worry that illegal sites are being looked up in our business.

Cons

Soooo many sites are blocked, even IF they belong to allowed categories. I wish we could "ADD" sites to the allowed list directly from the email alerts. There are too many steps to get to the Add sites page. Plus, there are several times when an allowed page is blocked again.

Janus M.

Music, self-employed

SpamTitan is well worth it!

SpamTitan HQ Almost made Spam a thing of the past for me, while I can still deliver and white/Black list, from the daily report, in my inbox.

Pros

SpamTitan eliminates about 98% of my unwanted emails. By means of its algorithm. and the centralised filter.

Cons

For an untrained individual like myself, it was not so easy to set up. I am still missing a feature to add senders or domains to black/white lists directly from the outlook interface. On both the Office 365 online interface, and Mac OS install (I do believe this feature exists for the windows installment of Outlook). I would also like to see the option of user blacklisting by content.