Notepad++ Logo

Open-source and multilingual source code editing software

Notepad++ Reviews

Suggested alternatives

caspio
zoho-creator
digitalocean

It’s been a lifesaver on more than one occasion for my work. Great features, just works consistently all the time, and you can’t argue with the free price tag.
Great software for speed, it's great for taking notes. I would not recommend it for programming.
Have been using it for more than 15 years with great success. The application is well supported on all operating systems which offers portability in its use across all platforms.
It is only compatible for Windows-based computers. Personally, I have no objections, but there are those who are anxious for it to be usable on other operating systems.
It is only limited to windows and have limited features and functionality. And also have problem with opening large files.
It does not work as an IDE. It also sucks that there is no error detection.

1,945 reviews

WC

William C.

President

They're constantly updating!

Transcript

William C.: Hi, there. My name's William and I'm the president of a small consulting company. I've been...

Kyle S.

Owner

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

A good mid-point between notepad and visual studio.

Transcript

Kyle S.: Hi, my name is Kyle. I am a data wizard, and I give Notepad++ a five out of five stars. For...

Fernando d.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

My partner!

This is my daily partner. I love Notepad++ and I can't live anymore without it.

Pros

I have so much to say about it, but I'll try to be short. I use it every single day, to read simple text files, edit CSV when other tools hide some problems, edit source codes of many different languages, view HEX (hexadecimal) representation of some binary files, paste text to use later, edit texts without formatting, convert base64 strings, check UTF-8 files and even play tetris. Yes you have a lot of plugins to do whatever you need!

Cons

Sometimes when you do a search and replace operation in a very large file (100MB or larger), apart of the very long processing time, you may end up with a broken file. And even if you undo the operation with CTRL+Z, the file will not return to its original state, you must close without save to preserve the file. But that is not a problem you should consider because it is not so common to edit such a big file. You can also do the operation in blocks, it works then.

Przemek P.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ a must have for IT specialist.

It gives me a free scripting program to work with all types of codes. I can quickly view and evaluate the script, make necessary corrections, and then save it in the same format it was opened with.

Pros

Notepad++ is suitable for all scripting languages and can be used to write and edit all types of code, like scripts and configuration files. It is easy and free to use, which makes it a valuable asset for programmers and IT specialists in general.

Cons

Sometimes I miss the terminal feature like in Powershell or Visual Studio, where I could check the code without implementing it in the environment. Such a testing feature is almost a must-have, and because Notepad++ doesn't have it I sometimes chose other scripting solutions.

Internet, 10,001+ employees

A fairly niche text editor

Notepad++ was a great tool that I heavily relied on when I was starting to configure and run scripts. Nowadays, I find myself using this program less often, as it offers fewer features than other IDEs.

Pros

Notepad++ can be easily dropped in as a replacement for Windows Notepad. It works and looks identically to Notepad, only that it supports more files and has more features. For those that are less tech savy, I think Notepad++ is an easy replacement for Notepad, even if you don't need to use all its features.

Cons

For developers, it's hard to justify using Notepad++ for much. Other developer-focused IDEs offer vastly enhanced feature sets and quality of life improvements for editing code/config files, while also performing the same functions as Notepad++. The UI of Notepad++ also seems dated.

FA

Fatima A.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Notepad++ Review

I have had a positive experience editing code thanks to its syntax highlighting, autocompletion, file organization, and customization capabilities through plugins, making it a useful and efficient tool for software developers.

Pros

What I like most about Notepad++ is its combination of simplicity and power. Despite being a relatively lightweight and fast text editor, it offers a wide range of advanced features that make it useful for a variety of tasks, from code editing to text manipulation.

Cons

Its availability mainly for Windows platforms. Although there are ways to run it on other operating systems using emulators or virtual machines, it does not have native support for macOS or Linux.

Roger L.

Computer Software, self-employed

Notepad++ can handle every language then some

I mean I use it literally every single day. I most of the time just leave it open and is one of the few programs that turn on when my computer turns on. It has so many plug ins I still haven't tried them all but the ones I have tried we so good I just left those on too and I love finding stuff on here that just makes coding just so much more enjoyable and the program is as powerful as you want it to be

Pros

Were do I begin, well first is how light it is. I have been using Notepad++ since I was 18 and I am 30 as of 9/5/2021 and to this day I cant find another source text editor that is as quick and robust I can just keep tabs of examples and the syntax highlighting is beautiful and you can use there XML layout to make your own syntax highlighting. Also the plug ins they offer are unreal. You can build your copy up with all the bells and whistles or keep it light, I do recommend getting a FTP client on so you can put in individual files were they need to be real quick. Honestly this will be one of the tools you will use most often.

Cons

If I had to pick I would say there are some bugs in some of the plug ins and maybe a slight touch up on the GUI.

ez

emin z.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Simple is the best! Notepad++ is the best in the west!

We have been using it for many years. We switched to notepad++ from dreamviewer. Really simplicity and placement of font sizes (being able to see more lines on a single monitor) gives us comfort

Pros

The "search in files" and "replace in files" feature is very good. File recovery is very good at keeping the file you forgot to save in memory. The "Mark" feature is also very useful. You can easily filter the source code (especially multi-line) by marking certain code snippets or functions.

Cons

More integration options can be added. The feature of automatically opening newly created files "in the following encoding" can be added. each time, we need to change the file encoding property to UTF-8 BOM.

Filipp K.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

A good basic workhorse

I’ve used npp for ad hoc dev work before migrating to cloud and doing quick basic testing of code

Pros

Lots of language syntax highlighting, great themes, cheap, and little memory consumption during execution.

Cons

No theme marketplace and module references across scripts are rare, function type declarations also aren’t visible in the IDE

VB

Virginia B.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Very useful and many functionalities

Pros

I liked the most its ease of use while being very complete and with many useful functionalities. I like its ease of search, its user experience in modifying characters all along the document and its customizable features.

Cons

Some of the most specific features are not so easy to understand and you have to search but I think it's related to the fact that it's dedicated to a higher level use.

AC

Alvaro C.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Very good free and open source text and source code editor

Pros

Its simple and easy-to-use interface. The ability to work with multiple documents and tabs. The possibility of using plugins.

Cons

To use it you must have programming knowledge, because it is complex. Does not have a built-in spell check function. Its performance may suffer when working with very large or complex text files.

ST

Samuel T.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Great tool for your software development set.

I use it all the time, impossible to go back to "Regular Notepad".

Pros

Ease to use, powerful, lightweight, no fuss installation

Cons

Nothing, everything works as it should. No problems at all.

JM

Jeff M.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

NotePad++ Checks All The Boxes

We've been using NotePad++ for 15 years now, and it's become our staple for everyday coding.

Pros

We use NotePad++ every single day coding our internal CMS systems. Everything we use is custom built in-house, and NotePad++ is our editor of choice. The language strings are clearly defined (the colors are super nice), and the customizable ability of literally everything (including viewpoint) is easy to implement and toggle. We even have added additional SpellCheck settings which have helped (the default is British). Their backup methods is amazing, too - literally able to keep a core backup of every file for iterations upon saving.

Cons

Practically nothing. Very rarely the software crashes when you load a new file, but thankfully that's super rare - and it's only upon upload (so no changes have been made yet).

MN

Marat N.

Notepad++ review

I use Notepad++ to edit the code, quickly find and replace text (sometimes with regular expressions) for many years and I didn't yet find a better alternative.

Pros

Probably the best free text editor on the open-source market. Notepadd+ has almost fully customizable GUI, tabbed interface, supports plugins, lots of supported programming languages (highlighting the code syntax), text encodings, autocomplete, find and replace text (also with regex), export and import to various formats, autosave changes, undo/redo and many many more wonderful capabilities.

Cons

Notepad++ has not to many things to complain. Maybe GUI looks a bit outdated. The number of features/options are overwhelming sometimes and require to search for a certain function.

CA

Catarina A.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Powerful, simple and a mandatory tool

The experience has been great. It is a powerful yet very simple tool that is always installed on my computers, whether they are personal or professional ones, and that I highly recommend to work colleagues, friends and family.

Pros

The simplicity of usage, the highly useful built in features that are provided (line operations and file programming language detection) and the powerful plugins that you can add to the tool for a particular objective (example: plugin for file comparison).

Cons

The user interface could be a little bit more modern and there could be with some built in themes but that does not affect the usage (or the likelihood to use) of Notepad++.

Andrei P.

Computer Games, 1-10 employees

Great free text editor with font limitations and a less than modern look

Notepad++ increased the productivity of my small studio by having a free, fast, and lightweight tool to use that always got the job done compared to other free applications such as Notepad(cannot open large files) and Wordpad(for writing documents, not code). The macros and different styles of multi-selection saved me a lot of time when doing repetitive tasks. It was great for me for modifying files...

Pros

I've been using Notepad++ for around 8 or more years and I don't see myself moving away from it anytime soon. I can't remember a time when I thought Notepad++ was not a good choice. It's an amazingly sturdy text editor with support for an enormous amount of programming and markup languages yet very lightweight and on top of everything, completely free! Working with a lot of log files my first goto...

Cons

The font limitations are somewhat of a problem as these can only be changed globally. I have yet to find a way (and I did search quite some time) how I could make certain text in Bold or Italic. The average answer I find redirects me to use different software because Notepad++ "is just a text editor" when it has more features than some paid IDEs. The interface of Notepad++ looks very outdated making...

JL

José Luis F.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

An improved version of MS Notepad

I started using Notepad++ to solve some coding problems in text files that I needed to share between different platforms. I currently use it as my exclusive plain text editor, because I don't know of a better one so far.

Pros

It is free software, distributed under the GNU General Public License. It is permanently updated, which is a very good feature in a free software. It has virtually everything you would expect from a plain text editor and much more. Allows you to work with projects, sessions and different views, which gives you great power when working with multiple related files or several groups of files. It recognizes...

Cons

I have had some problems with the use of the Spanish dictionary, which is installed separately. It has an ASCII character panel, but it would be nice if it natively included a more complete UNICODE character map.

Andrew B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Great document editor and search tool

This replaced my previous paid editor, great tool, fast and useful.

Pros

Sometimes you have to edit a really large file, and nothing else will open it, well Notepad++ will. I had documents that my previous text editor just couldn't handle [well not without a lot of waiting and screaming], Notepad++ handles them with ease. I use it as a task management tool as well as an easy text editor. Also Windows doesn't always search all files when you do a search, you can use Notepad++ to do a complete search of a folder/s to find text in files.

Cons

Not the prettiest of editors, but fully featured, and updates itself when needed.

JM

John M.

Biotechnology, 1-10 employees

Best Text and Source Code Editor on Windows

This is a great program, and well written. It's actually further elevated, in my opinion, by the fact that it is donation based software. It's really great, but even if you don't donate you still get to use the full features he's put into it. This to me underscores the confidence the author of the program has in the program he's written, and let's the quality of it be a testament unto itself.

Pros

Supports colorized syntax features for multiple languages, including Python, Pearl, R, C++, HTML, Java, etc. This really makes it easy to find your way through various code. Moreover, it's not just for source code. It supports a very versatile find/replace (including RegEx support) feature that makes sorting through various text sequences very easy. Even working with nucleotide or amino acid sequences is easy, and easily facilitates putting together FASTA files for use in other software to do alignments.

Cons

This is really great software that does a lot for programming purposes. It would be nice to see it compliment though more of the bioinformatics side by adding the color scheming for nucleotide/amino acid characters. As an example "A, T, G, C" would be a standard color, but ambiguous bases could be different sets of colors As an example, it would be nice to see "R" which is the ambiguous base code for...

Géovanny N.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Notepad++ an essential text editor

Pros

I find Notepad++ very convenient for several reasons:It is free, so I can use it without spending money.It is versatile and supports many programming languages, so I can use it for different projects.It's lightweight and runs fast, even on my old computer.The user interface is customizable, so I can adjust it to my preferences.It offers handy features such as text search and replace, syntax highlighting, etc.It supports plugins, which means I can add additional features if needed.There is also a portable version that I can use from a USB stick, which is very handy when I am working on different computers.For all these reasons, Notepad++ is my favorite text editor and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable and convenient text editor.

Cons

I find Notepad++ to be a very useful text editor, but it also has some drawbacks. Here are the ones I've noticed:It can crash from time to time, especially if I'm working on large files.It lacks some advanced features, like built-in debugging for more advanced programming languages.The user interface can seem a bit dated and less intuitive than some other text editors.Even though the user interface is customizable, it can take some time to configure it to my preferences.However, the advantages of Notepad++ are numerous and the disadvantages minor. All in all, I find it an excellent tool for editing text and code, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a simple and reliable text editor.

GS

Gordon S.

Banking, 201-500 employees

A popular open-source text and source code editor for Windows Operating System

Overal, Notepad++ is a great tool for text editing. If you are windows user and are looking for a fast and lightweight text editor to work with, then Notepad++ is what you are looking for.

Pros

Notepad++ supports almost all the popular programming languages including SQL. It is generally lightweight and light. You can install it and get it working in minutes and it doesn't consume a lot of your computer resources. It provides the functionality of Syntax highlighting something that make it enjoyable to code as it helps in trouble shooting and catching errors. One of my favorite aspects of...

Cons

1. Notepad++ is only available in windows operating system. 2. Another con is that Notepad++ is a stand alone application and therefore it doesn't offer realtime collaboration options possibility. I mostly use it for my own personal projects which do not require me to collaborate with someone.

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

“A wonderful text editor which achieves enormous tasks”

As a university student, I use the Notepad++ software to edit my codes as it supports a wide variety of programming languages. I am so excited about the awesome features that it has held and I like its user interface which is entirely customizable. In my opinion, it is an amazing text editor that I ever used!

Pros

I have been using this software for about four years and I use this Notepad++ software daily to edit my scripts immediately and to edit some parts of my codes that I have done. I noticed that it supports a lot of programming languages which makes me easy to edit my codes which are from different programming languages such as C++, C, Python, and HTML. One of the features I love most in this Notepad++...

Cons

Notepad++ software is unable to open files which are usually larger than 50MB and I noticed that it is lagging when these files are opening in this software. I hope in the future this software could use for Linux and Mac users too, as it is now only accessible for MS Windows users. I think it is better to have a modern style which senses like it is a late version. Other than these I didn’t notice many cons of this software.

Kevin M.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The first and probably only text editor you need

Chances are that when you were learning to code you would have used either the generic notepad or Notepad++. Notepad++ has been the default for most newcomers and professionals. Although there are superior alternatives nothing can beat the speed and simplicity you can get from Notepad++. I can't stress enough how much its a create starting point. Beginners can create simple files that can be ran in a CLi and results are instant. When I am doing tutorials I make my students use Notepad++ before they even see an IDE. I mostly find myself using it when I tired of using other programs I use. Sure most personal computers as fast enough that even the slowest IDE opens pretty fast but there are some file types where its easier just to open Notepad++ edit and I'm out.

Pros

Its barebones and provides the most basic coding functionality. It recognizes different languages and attempts to color code their respective elements. It launches fast, loads files very fast and saves very fast. It barely uses Ram so you can leave it open while working with other software. It also has various plugins that can add new features.

Cons

Notepad++ is not an IDE so while it can recognize different languages there are no error detection features or code formatting out of the box. There a lot of free text editors that are superior to Notepad++. The barebones nature might not be for everyone. Especially coders who rely on "quality of life" features. Also, it has a very classic look that might put off those who use newer text editors.

Avijit D.

Education Management, self-employed

Notepad gets an IDE format !!

I am a programming geek and used to program with the classic notepad, but this gave me a whole feel about programming, I now do all my programming task in this editor and it letting me fulfill my programming needs. The distinct colorings and pointing out of brackets makes it reliable for fast programming. Once you load the execution command, you don't have to type the commands in terminal like in older days.

Pros

First of all its about the upgradation of our favorite classic notepad which was our first code editor we all geeks used. But now this brings a very interactive and makes the classical notepad as an IDE for coding. Best features include, it is rich of interactive plugins where you can run and execute your program. This makes it generalized for many available languages and it has syntax for almost every...

Cons

While suggesting to my friend i didn't got any version for mac, So he wasn't able to use it. Except this I found nothing not to like about or any missing feature for this lightweight trade.

AI

Anwarul I.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Notepad++ Review

I can say Notepad ++ is the king of Text Editor, Actually it is more than a Text Editor, Every single day I use this while I need to organize a bunch of text, Finding particular word & replace with other one, If my device crushes I can rest assure my doc will not be lost, To be honest I stared my programming career with Notepad++, I used to write HTML, CSS code in Notepad++.

Pros

• Notepad++ is easy to install & light weight, User friendly & versatile, • Multiple encoding of text is really useful, • MD5 & Sha-256 digest are also useful features, • Can record while typing is really cool, • Super fast in search & replace including complex ones, • Regex can be used in finding and replacing, • Multiple tabs can be opened at once, • Auto save feature is really user friendly, • Can be used as universal programming environment, • If Notepad++ is used as IDE it's colors for different parts of code (language vs variables) is really useful, • Multiple plugins can be integrated and thus makes Notepad++ more powerful & expandable, • Particular file type can be selected while saving files.

Cons

• UI looks a little old, • As Notepad++ has a universal programming environment, • Multiple themes can be added • Adding compilation would be great while using as IDE • As this is a text editor, So feature like bold & italic could be available

LM

Lucas M.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

The single best combination of least clutter and most features

I usually have one main dump file where I write down fast any idea that comes up when I have to work on something else. Then, I later separate those ideas or tasks into other smaller, more specific lists/files, organized by topic or due date. At the same time, I can be proofreading an article or essay, still on Notepad++, with many other files open, without slowing down even an older computer. The fact that I never had it crash or needed to contact support speaks enough about how polished this software is

Pros

Notepad ++ is a very clean and minimal notes software in its out-of-the-box state, but can handle a lot of more intense jobs if you get to know its features. For me personally, it is essential to have a notepad that is very light, can have many files open at the same time (and not weighing down older machines even with this) and can open the same files I was editing the last time I turned the computer off.

Cons

It is really difficult to pick something to criticize here, as I consider Notepad ++ to be the quintessential notes app, and there is not much that can be done wrong in this kind of app. As stated in the review title, it has the cleanness of a notepad but CAN handle a lot more, with neat features to organize lists or export files. I believe there was never a feature I really needed when working with it that it lacked, never had to seek a different app even for any situational notes-related tasks.

AS

Arshad S.

Computer Software, self-employed

Open Source and Free

I can't continually store my custom “programming language” because the default language, after I reopen the program. If you imply which you would love to use your User Defined Language (some thing you named it) to a report while you first create a brand new report in Notepad++, it doesn’t paintings that way. If you without delay store that report with the extension which you’ve described in Language > Define Your Language, User language: , Ext.: ____, then as quickly as it’s saved, it's going to transfer to the use of that syntax highlighting

Pros

Submit malicious program reviews and characteristic requests. Hand in bugfixes and patches. Do on-line support. Translate the editor. Share plugins, themes, auto-crowning glory files. Notepad helps you to shop your notes (as textual content files) precisely wherein you need them, and you haven't any one however your working device to reply to approximately the way you organize, copy, or lower back them up. You can migrate your notes to every other app with the aid of using commencing them in any app that is aware textual content files Buy merchandise (which include the reputable Notepad++ thong of all things)

Cons

"It is tough for novices who make errors frequently as there aren't many outside aids while writing code. ... "The interface isn't convincing, the code this is written frequently isn't very seen and really complicated at the beginning sight." "The maximum drawback of Notepad++ is that it's far NOT multiplatform Limited Mobile Experience. The Website Doesn’t Quite Look “Right” Ease-of-Use. Cookie-Cutter Template Selection. Missing Key Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Elements. Limited E-Commerce Functionality.