Teachworks Logo

Teachworks

Online business management for educators, tutors & trainers

Teachworks Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.73/10

Reviews by rating

We really like the automatic invoicing and the ability to connect with other products like Stripe and Quickbooks. The ability to create custom forms has also helped us onboard students more quickly.
What I liked most about him, is the great capacity of accessories distract you, it is easy to use and simple I recommend it.
I enjoy Teachworks and find it very useful. I love the scheduling functionality, the main calendar view is really good, and the ability send reminders to parents and students BOTH is really helpful.
I dread the thought of having to run the business without it.

Michael K.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Great scheduling and billing software

Pros

I like that the software keeps track of invoicing and running balances for clients. It definitely cuts down the leg work of having to go back through person by person and creating invoices.

Cons

Sometimes we want to see all math tutors that are available so I'd be better when filtering if you could select multiple instructors at once so you don't have to bounce between calendars to find open times.

Hi Michael, thanks for the great review! We're so happy to hear that our invoicing features are useful for your business :) I would recommend using our Tutor Calendar's "Day" view to see availability for all tutors at once. This calendar displays a list of your tutors on the left with their unavailability greyed out. You can click on an open time slot to quickly add a new lesson.

Joyee L.

Lots of functionality -- No live support options

All in all, it took over 3 months and over $2000 of external support to be able to switch my CRM over to Teachworks and figure out how to use it. Now that we have a handle on it, it is finally starting to function to become a part of our business. I am saddened that this process could have been smoothed over by an onboarding call that I would have gratefully paid money for. Instead, we were left to fend for ourselves because of the lack of intuitiveness of the system.

Pros

Teachworks has a lot of functionality. It allows users to customize based off their needs. Users can bill hourly or in bulk packages. Lots of options for allowing clients to schedule all at the click of a button. I had seen teachworks years ago, but didn't want to transfer my business over because the platform seemed intimidating. Now, after 3 months it is not so intimidating.

Cons

Onboarding was took three months and $2000. This is largely because TW does not offer any live phone support or onboarding training as do many tech platforms. I was absolutely flummoxed for 3 months and hired VAs and admin to help me transition to the new platform. I begged the company to provide some sort of customer support that I would have gratefully paid for, but they said they couldn't help....

Rs

Rami s.

Music, 1-10 employees

Doesn’t work

Last 4 years have been fine up until the last 4 months, full calendar doesn’t work which is the one I regularly used. I can’t view names, can’t view the whole day, and frankly sick and tired of following up on their issue and still having nothing done

Pros

I liked it when it worked properly, now it doesn’t.

Cons

Having to follow up on fixing their issue for couple of months and still having same problems. Missed out on 3 classes because the calendar can’t display times and students properly. No attempt made to fix things on their end when I’ve done everything on my end.

Hi Rami, Thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated. Based on the messages you've sent previously to our support team we understand that you're referring to the appearance of the calendar. The calendar feature hasn't changed in the past couple years, but it sounds like you've changed the default calendar view from month to week. Fortunately, it's very easy to change the default calendar view on your profile, so you can go back to enjoying the feature as you've done in the past. I have personally emailed you with the same instructions we've provided previously.

AH

ANGeline H.

Education Management, self-employed

Lifesaving Software

Pros

I used to schedule tutors via google sheets. Then I found this website and voila, hours and hours saved.

Cons

I just wish we could view the calendar by status - attended, missed, etc.

Hi Angeline, thanks for the great review and for sharing your feedback. We really appreciate it! We’re happy to hear that Teachworks is helping you save time. If you need any help or have any questions, please let us know.

LH

Lisa H.

Education Management, self-employed

Like it so much, I’ve stuck with it for nearly 10 years

It has been very positive. The online lesson feature was pretty glitchy when I used it during Covid & I ended up using FaceTime instead. But I hardly ever use that anymore - so not really a current issue. I’m not sure that I’ve ever needed customer support help - so I’d say the software works great (though I do have a very helpful husband who helps me out if I ever need it).

Pros

Love the calendar and invoicing most. Love that I can schedule lessons for the entire semester and then easily adjust when things need to change & that it will automatically notify the parents. Also love how easy it is to create invoices, edit them if needed, and send reminders to parents if they’re late. Very easy. Also love, when tax-time comes, that I can easily create a chart with all my income - to send to my CPA. Very easy.

Cons

I know a lot of other piano teachers who use other software that is much cheaper. I’m hesitant to change because I really like Teachworks, don’t want to have to learn a new software system, and have years of notes I don’t want to lose. But I do wish it weren’t quite as expensive.

Hi Lisa! Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us, we really appreciate it. We're happy to hear that our calendar, invoicing and other features have been helpful for your business for so many years. If you ever need support, our team is here to help! Thank you for your continued support.

JC

Jonah C.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Couldn't imagine life without Teachworks!

Teachworks is an integral part of our operations. It is highly intuitive and easy to use, prevents errors in accounting, and offers a high level of transparency in billing and payments to both our students and teachers. Best of all, it saves huge amounts of time. Tasks that took a full two days of work pre-Teachworks now take under an hour, reminder emails we used to send manually are now automated,...

Pros

- ease of use - lesson cost/wage tracking - email automation - invoice creation - employee wage statement creation - reports

Cons

- no integration with google apps - no integration with zapier - invoice automation isn't customizable enough to be useful for us - custom forms are not customizable enough to be useful for us

Hi Jonah, Thank you for your review! We will continue to work hard to enhance the features and integrations! Regards, The Teachworks Team

YK

Yarin K.

Drastically simplified our day to day operations, constantly expanding and actively maintained

great platform!

Pros

Includes almost all of the basic functionality that an tutoring organization needs. The core functions that cover billing and scheduling are robust, flexible and reliable. The site is reliable, performs well on any device and is intuitive. Features and integrations are expanding, great platform!

Cons

Lack of custom API integration prevents us from building on top of this platform. We want the ability to leverage APIs to push/pull client and staff data. Lead generation/management is lacking and really needs to be managed outside of this platform. No integration with social media. Ability to blast SMS to select tutors for client matching while managing responses. Chat bot type functionality would be awesome! Integration with e-signing platform like signnow would be great. Currently need to manage e-signing contracts separately.

Hi Yarin, thanks for the great review! We¿re happy to hear that Teachworks has simplified your day to day operations. Our API will be available soon, but we¿ll let you know as soon as it¿s ready. Your SMS suggestion will be a good addition to our existing SMS features and we¿ll definitely consider it for a future update.

JL

Joel L.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Teachworks Almost Five Years Later...

We have been using Teachworks for managing our tutoring business for almost five years and it continues to exceed our expectations. It's made us more effective and efficient across all aspects of our business. The system is easy to set up and use, and if needed, help is readily available. Teachworks lives up to its marketing promises. We recommend it highly and without any hesitation.

Pros

Teachworks is easy to use. It's intuitive and well-thought out. It continues to make us more efficient across every aspect of our business and has allowed us to scale up easily. Integration was easy and help was readily available as it has continued to be throughout our experience.

Cons

The product truly is intuitive, easy to use and help is readily available, if needed.

Hi Joel, thanks for your review! We really appreciate the kind words and great feedback.

IT

Iqra T.

Easiest Software!

Pros

The perfect software for scheduling and invoicing. Has all the features a business may need and the best part is, it's user friendly. Also, if there was any issue the support team is an email away!

Cons

I don't think there is anything I don't like about teachworks.

Hi Iqra! Thanks so much for the great review, we really appreciate it! We are happy to hear that you find Teachworks user-friendly and effective for scheduling and invoicing. We're always here to help, so please continue to let us know if you have any questions.

SB

Stephan B.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Pros

Easy to handle the programme. Lots of possibilities.

Cons

There are not any cons I can remember at the moment.

Hi Stephan, thanks for taking the time to submit a review, we really appreciate it! We're happy to hear that you find Teachworks easy to use with plenty of possibilities. If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out.

DH

Dana H.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Behind for Todays Clients but Excellent for 10 Years Ago

We have been using TW for 7 years. We like many things about it but we have been VERY frustrated by how slowly things change and improve and that it is impossible (even when we have offered to pay) to get additional support.

Pros

It is robust, consistent, well established, reliable. The ability to have tutors invoice from their completed lessons and for us to be able to pull reports etc. is all very good.

Cons

Two main issues - The biggest is the online booking featurs for clients. It is difficult to set up and customize. Changes have been very very slow. It is not very intuitive for clients so it often causes problems for them and makes the process more work than it is worth. The second is the lack of in person help and video tutorials. There could be way more videos on their online booking features. A third is that while TW says they sync with QBO, the sync does not work well.

Hi Dana, thanks for taking the time to submit a review! When we prioritize features to add, it's based on the number of requests we receive. Unfortunately we don't add custom features for individual companies. We're actively adding new features to Teachworks and over the past year, we've added 192 new features and improvements. You can find a list of these in the Change Log (click the "i" icon in your account to find it). The Teachworks API allows companies like yours to build custom integrations. You could use our API to create a custom booking plugin that meets your specific requirements.

AP

Amanda P.

Best Tutoring Company Management Tool

Pros

Cons

I would like to see it have a feature for group lessons where a tutor could enter one note for the group instead of having to copy and paste to each student within the group. Ex: Group note (would go on each email to the parent), then personal note for each student. It would also be helpful to have a way to add homework as a task to students within Teachworks.

ED

Erika D.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Great CRM for small business!

It's a great CRM for the price but don't expect a lot of help. They do however update the software from time to time and they send an email describing the new updo.

Pros

Teachworks is a great CRM because it is easy to use and it is affordable. Teachworks is a great choice for small business because of this.

Cons

The only issue we have had with Teachworks is trying to integrate a store with to allow customers to gather their information and schedule multiple sessions when purchasing packages from our website.

Hi Erika, thanks for the great review, we really appreciate it! We're always here to help, so if you have any questions please email our support team or use the widget in your account to submit a message. You can typically expect a reply within 2 hours on Weekdays (9am - 8pm Eastern Time). We also offer support over the weekend :) We add new features regularly and you can find more information about them in our Change Log. You can find our Change Log in your account by going to Account & Settings > Change Log. Thanks again for the great review!

JT

Jill T.

Overall Positive

It is cost effective and really alleviates organizational issues when scheduling clients.

Pros

I like that this company provides a feedback / review page; however, I think it's strange they base the priority of each review by votes from customers.

Cons

The software makes it difficult to fully use it's customer access feature. We use Teachworks for scheduling appointments and it would be nice to allow out clients to login; however, we have not found a way to disable our clients from seeing other client's appointments and that crosses our confidentiality for them.

Thanks for your review, Jill! Client user accounts only display the client's own lessons and information; however, for non-lesson events when you set the audience to "Everyone" or "Families & Students" those events will be visible on all clients' calendars. You can contact our support team and we'll be happy to show you how to set up your appointments with the correct audience.

BR

Burdett R.

Music, 11-50 employees

I wish I didn't sign up

It's okay, but honestly My Music Staff was easier and features were more time saving. Teachworks is too manual, and slows down productivity.

Pros

The calendar system is fairly easy to use, and I have been able to set up an online booking system, but the booking system is by the teacher, and not by time.

Cons

THEY DON'T HAVE AUTOPAY IN THE SOFTWARE! You have to manually charge people for service.

Hi Burdett, Thanks for your review. Regarding client payments, I would suggest using our Bulk Invoice Payments add-on, which you can use to charge all unpaid invoices rather than manually charging individual invoices.

JB

Justine B.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Worked well for YEARS

Pros

Our favorite thing was being able to really customize the appointments. We could make the appointment title anything we wanted, so we were able to essentially use Teachworks as an additional communication tool within our office.

Cons

If only it could help us submit insurance claims, we would have stayed forever...

Hi Justine, thanks for the review! We're so happy to hear that Teachworks was helpful for your business and that it provided an additional tool for internal communication. Thanks for being a loyal customer for so many years. We wish you and your business all the best!

MA

Meena A.

Review from users end

Overall, it's a good system, although there are actually a lot of bugs. I've had major problems with invoicing this term. Direct debit is only sometimes automatic - you have to do it manually for some customers, and for others, it's automatic. There are some things that are a bit fiddly with a lot of going back and forth. It syncs with Quickbooks, which is good, but not everything - this requires a...

Cons

Hi Meena, We're sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having getting started with your account. Teachworks has a lot of features and customizable settings, and it sounds like you may need some help with using some of them. We encourage you to get in touch with our customer support team whenever you're having difficulty configuring any of our features. I'll touch on a couple of your comments:...

MB

Mike B.

Good quality

Pros

1 - Scheduling for individual and groups, 2 - Calendar view for the "main" view is terrific, including the sort functionality 3 - Reporting is very strong

Cons

1 - Teacher calendar view needs some work on it viewing it lacking 2 - Their support feels limited because it is only via email.

Hi Mike, Thank you for your review. We are glad you are finding Teachworks very useful. I have added your suggestion regarding the teacher calendar to our Feature Suggestions Forum. This will help us prioritize the enhancements to this feature. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly at support@teachworks.com. Regards, The Teachworks Team

DM

Daniel M.

Teachworks is Very Useful

The three aspects which we like about Teachworks the most is that it is can cope with scheduling changes, it has a powerful invoice system, and that it is easy to use.

Pros

Flexibility to make scheduling changes; powerful invoicing system; ease of use.

Cons

Sometimes slow to update system during busy times; the colour of the column indicating today's schedule is too similar to white, and is not obvious enough.

Hi Daniel, Thank you for your review and feedback. I would be more than happy to show you a few ways in which you can make changes/updates more efficiently. Could you please message me directly at support@teachworks.com In regards to the colour of the column that indicates today's date, we haven't received this suggestion before, but it would be something easy to change to your preference. Regards, The Teachworks Team.

IE

Itolo E.

Can't beat the pricing; features added consistently!

Pros

Teachworks has a convenient pricing schedule that fits hanging needs. Features are always being added. Teachworks works well with Stripe for easy online payments and has several website plugins to assist with booking.

Cons

There are very few user access tiers. I'd like more flexibility with user access control. The formatting can, at times, be clunky and can not be customized.

Hi Itolo, Thank you for the great review! We are happy to hear you are enjoying Teachworks and have used it for over 2 years! We are constantly expanding our features and we are glad to hear it helps you and your business. If you have questions regarding user accounts, please do not hesitate to contact us support@teachworks.com Regards, The Teachworks Team.

ag

ashlee g.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Life saver for our business

Excellent

Pros

Ease of use and intuitive process for our tutors.

Cons

There is a big learning curve to optimize the use of the product. I would prefer and in-person trainer

Hi Ashlee, thanks for your review! We really appreciate the great feedback.

MM

Meghan M.

1-10 employees

Review from The English Island

I like Teachworks. It is simple to use. One thing I would like is to have a specific section to enter grades. I would also like to be able to look back on the details of a past lesson even if it is locked. I do like the notes section under each student's name because I can enter lesson details there, and they can be of use to other teachers or myself if I need to review what I have done. The calendar is a nice feature because I can really organize my schedule.

Pros

*calendar *notes section under each student/lesson

Cons

*not being able to enter grades in a specific place

Hi Meghan, Thank you for your review! We are glad you are enjoying the features. Teachworks does have a section to enter grades in the student profile. You are also able to still see the details of past lessons after the calendar is locked. I will message you directly with instructions on how to achieve this. Regards, The Teachworks Team

CP

Christian P.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Makes running my business so easy

TeachWorks makes it so much easier to manage all of my tutors and students. I dread the thought of having to run the business without it. Having easy access to all student and tutor details, the calendar and invoice system, and the rapidly growing list of integrations makes the experience much smoother.

Pros

PrObably the scheduling system as a whole. It makes it very easy to track students, lessons, tutor pay and invoicing, and it is very natural and intuitive. My new tutors learn the software quickly and easily, yet it is still robust enough to deal with all of the customisation you could need.

Cons

The integrations list is growing, but still causes difficulty for me. The mailchimp integration was a welcome addition, but many email systems are still not able to be accessed (I use ConverTKit)

Hi Christian, Thank you for your review! We are glad you are enjoying Teachworks. We will continue to work hard to grow the list of integrations and add-ons. Regards, The Teachworks Team

TH

Tanya H.

It has helped organize our teaching team and the customer support is excellent.

Ease of organization of schedules, checking teacher availability, and sending invoices to our clients.

Pros

I like how it has cut down our time on creating invoices by using attendance information on our calendars.

Cons

It doesn't have a way to easily integrate with our website to take payments when students register through the link.

Hi Tanya, thanks for the review! We¿re really happy to hear that Teachworks helps you to streamline invoicing and save more time! Your feedback helps us to improve the Teachworks experience, so please continue to let us know if you have any new feature ideas.

LD

Loretta D.

Time Saver

Pros

Teachworks keeps us organized and up to date on schedule changes. It's great for all staff members, regardless of location, to be able to access client and schedule information.

Cons

It would be nice to have a bar graph for the services breakdown report in addition to the pie chart. Service categories AND subcategories would also be helpful for quick management reviews.

Hi Loretta, thanks for your review! We really appreciate the great feedback.