All categories

Data & workflow management for research & development teams

visit website

Benchling Reviews

Thomas K.

I love how I can edit and work on my projects easily, and there is so much easy ways to edits and write notes for reference. I will continue to use benchling in the future b/c i love it so much.

Suomia A.

Sometimes hard to manipulate trash/archived files.

Bryan B.

Stephanie S.

4.9

Lab friendly online notebook and so much more

Having all the laboratory notes online in an issue to use format allows for quick sharing of protocols and real-time collaboration on the same projects.

Pros

Benchling is easy to use, great for everyday notes and protocol design. It makes sharing experimental details and lab notes simple. In addition, easy to search for keywords throughout all the notebooks, never lose data or key pieces of information again. The molecular biology suite is the best, easy cloning and sequences alignments.

Cons

Would love to have access to sample repository and tracking but need the paid version. Better integration with storage options for big data.

Wonderful digital lab notebook

Overall, Benchling has been wonderful for switching from an archaic experiment documentation system to a well organized, collaborate online system.

Pros

Benchling is a very useful tool for organizing and collaborating on scientific data online. Online notebooks make it very easy to record and find previous data, which you will always have to cross reference much later after your experiment. The different folders and entries are very easy to organize, and you can create shared collaborative documents as well as your own private notebooks.

Cons

One small Con is that adding figures/images to the entries takes up a lot of space in the notebook, since text and other images/tables/figures cannot wrap around each other. This means that if you're including many images, your entry will be very long, and you can't include too many images together.

Benchling Implementation at Tenaya

Overall, Benchling has hugely helped our company to come together to decide what the important pieces of our work are that we need to capture, and how to efficiently pass information off team to team. The implementation team has been incredibly helpful in the process.

Pros

I am thrilled to be able to easily tailor the software to the individual needs of scientists as everyone plays incredibly different roles, but we all come together to look at the data as a whole to make large company decisions. We have not been using the software as an entire company just yet, but we have liked the implementation process with Benchling's support to create the platform our company needs to be successful.

Cons

One of the challenges we have found as we've begun to use Benchling more is that there are some features we've gotten used to using and rely on, but then they will disappear. We understand Benchling is constantly changing and tweaking to better help R&D, but some changes come out of nowhere and mess some of our plans up. Most changes are minor here or there, but when needing to count on a software for easier day-to-day use you need the simple things to work.

The best molecular biology software I ever used in 10years+ of research

I use it almost everyday when I have cloning to do or protein analysis and I love it. I used a lot of different software in the past and this one is the best by far.

Pros

It is great to use, super easy to go from DNA to protein. Easy to visualize everything and to align sequences. I just can't do without anymore.

Cons

I would like the restriction enzyme sites to be better highlighted on the sequence sometime, but it is really minor.

Over all, I honestly love benchling. Its so useful when it comes to cloning and helps visualize the plasmids so easily for me, and students that I teach. I love how I can edit and work on my projects easily, and there is so much easy ways to edits and write notes for reference. I will continue to use benchling in the future b/c i love it so much!

Pros

Because I work with plasmids, the primer creation and alignment tool are my favorite parts of Benchling. I often need to create primers to double check my plasmid is correct and they have been so easy to make! Especially since benchling remembers the primers that I make, and logs them in by name and location on the plasmid for future reference. The alignment tool has also saved me alot of time when it comes to double checking my plasmid size and inserts.

Cons

While i get the location and placement of the Projects tab, that has been a frequent headache to me. It brings up issues when projects are shared by other people in the lab and they only allow me to just see the project and not edit it. I feel like there should be a tool where we can take a project someone shares with us, and edit it and save it easily to our own files. Constantly copying and pasting plasmids from one location to another gets annoying after the 30th plasmid.

Intuitive, Effective, Impactful

Pros

Benchling lets me organize all of my cloning projects and plasmid maps easily and rapidly. It has been an essential tool to both my graduate and post-graduate careers as an academic.

Cons

As an educator, I work with a number of undergrads training them to clone. The one major problem I've had with Benchling is how easy the cloning wizards make designing constructs. Students come to me with the right primers and right strategy, but when pressed often admit to using the cloning wizard to come to the answer -- not the best moments for me as an educator when I want to challenge them, but certainly a testament to how easy (and powerful!) the software package is!

Benchling is a nice tool for molecular biology

I have been using Benchling for a few years and I am always happy with it. It has been continuously improving and they really care about the needs of their users.

Pros

The user interface is very intuitive and friendly. The functions are very powerful. It is a very nice replacement of many expensive commercial softwares.

Cons

Some functions are limited to company users.

Never been that easy to do molecular biology

It has never been that easy to share molecular biology project and create a lab database ( in my case)

Pros

This is the best software I used to create molecular biology project and share them. It's easy to use and has a lot of functionality. The one I prefer is the fact that you can translate your sequence and have your nucleic acid above your protein sequence this allow to make sure that your are in the good reading frame when you are doing cloning. You can save your primers, plasmids, projects ... and share them with your team. The fact that you can lock your file is very convenient if you want to give access to them but not let other people edit them.

Cons

I love absolutely everything about this software. Maybe if you could order primers directly from the app this could be useful?

Benchling Review - Satisfactory

Overall, I have been very pleased with Benchling, and it has made cloning and sequencing alignment so much easier. I have recommended this software to my colleagues since it has been very helpful for my cloning work.

Pros

I found Benchling to be very user-friendly, and easy to upload sequences. Additionally, I am able to keep my sequences and primers very organized by putting detailed descriptions/sections. Also, the assembly tools make cloning more clear and less room for error. Also, if I had any questions, the customer service providers were always helpful and accessible.

Cons

Thus far, I have not found any missing features or any areas of improvement.

Great Product

Pros

I think Benchling is easy to use and visually appealing. Great product!

Cons

The product met all of my needs. So, there was nothing I disliked about it.

Michael lin lab ASAP team

User friendly and productive.

Pros

I can easily use sharing folder to share the maps to my labmates.

Cons

It's complicated to delete a file and inconvienent to undo my modification on my maps if i mistakenly delete or revised my sequence.

Great tool for molecular biology

Benchling has allowed us to maintain lab records and find old plasmids with ease. It satisfies all of our molecular biology organization needs.

Pros

Makes organizing all of our lab plasmids incredibly easily. Simplifies sequencing and allows me to easily look at sequences at a glance.

Cons

I don't understand why I can't just delete sequences without having to archive them first.

BENCHLINGTASTIC!

Great interface to use!

Pros

Benchling makes it easier to keep track of my experiments and stay organized with DNA templates, plasmids, etc.

Cons

Sometimes hard to manipulate trash/archived files

Great ELN and sequencing software

Pros

Very easy to use, integrates with other software

Cons

It took a little time to get used to it but once I did it was great. No complaints

Great Software!

Pros

There are so many things that can be done and at no cost! This software is user-friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

So far I have not experienced any troubles with this software.