FileWave Reviews

FileWave

Multi-platform endpoint management

FileWave

Review Summary

Pros

Overall we have been super happy with Filewave. We tried out cheaper software that was promised to do more and we ended up leaving them in a few months, returning to Filewave.

Garret H.

User-ability is above amazing in this software. Anytime I issues did arise their customer service has always been friendly and quick.

Garret H.

Bianca J.

Cons

I am just worried about the fact, that it took us such a long time for choosing this product.

Mirko H.

I have not had any issues that would warrant a negative response.

4.5

A new way of our “deployment-thinking”! And still a great choice...

Our impressions on FileWave: Sureley it is all about technology. But we are only a small team of 5 admins for all our apple clients. So we need a strong partner with an outstanding support.
This includes various in-house and almost worldwide (even if only sporadically) departments with several demands on software, settings and needs. Before the decision to FileWave, various adjustments were only possible...

Pros

Self-service and kiosk - in the future we will increasingly focus on supporting the end users in their independence. With a well-structured self-service and an IT-supported kiosk, end users should have more control.
 DEP - the integrated DEP Manager will support us in the introduction of DEP with new and"old" devices and will facilitate the initial inclusion of new hardware in our client management....

Cons

Must Have for a hybrid environment

Overall the experience with FileWave and their staff have been a good experience. Their solutions engineers and professional services team have went above and beyond to help us get to where we need to be for device management.

Pros

Being able to manage Windows, macOS, and iOS devices with one tool was a must. Being able to enroll machines with Apple's DEP into FileWave and enroll Windows machines with Group Policy made it a very easy deployment. It was instrumental in helping us achieve a fully remote-work environment to be able to deploy software, and gather device information from their Custom Field features.

Cons

Having a cloud based administrative portal would be a huge plus. There is some scripting knowledge that is needed in order to accomplish the things you want to do with Windows machines, as there is no native "profile manager" or GPO-like menu like for macOS.

Less impressed as time passes

It's about time to search for a different product.

Pros

As another reviewer wrote, "when it works, it's great".

Cons

There are several feature requests I've made that just seem too obvious to not already be in place. Reports on fileset status are poor meaning we have very little idea who has gotten the fileset. Vague "Handled by MDM" with no documentation online to understand it. Filesets that cannot be removed from devices--"Upgrade Server" or "Apple's fault". Unable to connect remotely to multiple devices daily. This is one of the most needed features and right now I'd estimate 80% of our remote sessions do not connect.

FileWave Endpoint Management

FileWave has saved so much time with distributing software, updates and managing our iPads.

Pros

The software is easy to use, it works quickly. Years ago we had to re-image computers to distribute updates. With FileWave, you just create the file set and update the model, off it goes to all of the client devices. It is a top quality MDM and makes managing iPads a breeze. Another nice feature is device location. Once enrolled a device sends a location. It makes locating lost devices easier.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything at the moment. This product has made life so much easier in our department.

Awesome software for IOS

The software has been a real help in managing our iPads in one place without the need to touch devices. Long as a device has internet I can manage it from anywhere.

Pros

The ability to manage IOS updates and software in one place over the internet without the need to touch devices again after initial setup.

Cons

There is a setting that allows the name of the devices to be in the middle of the lock screen which is easier to read that isn't available with Filewave. Filewave does allow for the name at the bottom of the lock screen but it is smaller and harder to read. Not a deal breaker and users have adapted :)

Filewave helps make System Management easier.....

Filewave Management has drastically cut down our time in all areas of system management. We can now be more productive and more engaged with our end users, & it enables us to be able to no longer dread putting some features into the hands of the users. We can now trust our users to do their updates, download their necessary software, and yet still have the granular control we need over our deployed technology. Overall, we are very happy with Filewave!!

Pros

The Filewave Management Tools make it easy to implement and update technology in our district with ease. The ability to set up filesets, schedule updates, and push out features to users who need it is a blessing, and cuts down on the amount of run around we normally use to do, having to touch each device, some times two or three times. With Filewave and ASM, we have gotten our Mac and iPad fleet down to zero touch management, and can deploy and re-deploy machines as needed in less than 4 hours, most times at about 2 hours easily. And we can also support our users at home, by supplying updates via the App Portal for them to Self-Service update their machines.

Cons

There are aspects that could be approved, which I see some of which Filewave is actively working on. But the four BIGGEST things I personally would like to see are: (1) the ability to color code filesets, so that our junior admins can know at a glance which items are CRITICAL and which are MEDIUM and LOW Priority items; (2) the ability to Duplicate Filesets within the Filesets window, (3) the ability to manage or remove duplicates without the need for scripting and (4) the ability to lock users into updating their machines, as we still have a few stubborn users who keep using the 2 hour delay button repeatedly. IT would be nice to just give users ONE CHANCE at the two hour delay, and then after they use that one time, be locked into having to do their update.

Filewave Review

Pros

It functions very well for both iOS and Windows. Plenty of tools and deployment options for both. The remote viewing tool is always incredibly useful, particularly with much of the remote support we're doing in today's environment. The support staff for this product is top notch. The folks I'm paired up with definitely know what they're doing and thankfully I'm not just shuttled off to some third-rate call center who simply read a script and know very little about the product they're working with.

Cons

1) Reliability of service can be an issue. There are always a handful of our Windows machines that stop checking in after a while and it's always when I need to be able to remote connect haha! It's a fairly common occurrence, but I'd wager the total number of PCs it happens to is roughly 3-5%. 2) The constant requirement of updating our Admin server/clients. I just wish the entire update process was so much more seamless. Every. Single. Update. Is. A. Big. Howdayado. I wish I could just press a button (or automatically) and it just does its thing. Like ChromeOS or MalwareBytes Endpoint Protection. 3)

Ultimate Flexibility

3-year FW user with experience using the platform to manage a complex environment across 6 campuses.

Pros

Filewave allows the LCSS technology department to respond in real time to the various challenges we face. From creating new filesets to deploy necessary programs to modifying user settings, Filewave truly does it all. I've found the platform to be user-friendly and the Filewave support team to be knowledgable, patient, and thorough.

Cons

Continued buildout of the knowledge base and documentation of best practices for administration would be appreciated.

Solid MDM solution, with outstanding customer support

Pros

FileWave is built for multi-platform support from the ground up. It's allowed us to centralize management of all devices in our school district, including integration with Apple DEP and VPP programs for even easier device enrollment and application distribution.

Cons

My only gripes tend to be with specific missing features that I happen to know are offered by competitor's products. That being said, FileWave has proven very open to feedback, and committed to adding the features that are most commonly requested by their clients.

A must have for all our devices!

Pros

User-ability is above amazing in this software. Anytime I issues did arise their customer service has always been friendly and quick!

Cons

It is a little high in cost. We use it mainly for our ipads though we have Chromebooks we could add to Filewave. Being a smaller school it just isn't cost effective to put every device through filewave.

For what you pay -- Great Software

There are 2 of us in charge of administering FileWave at our company. One guy is over the Apple side of things and I take care of the Microsoft side of things. Both of us like Filewave though we both are learning new things everyday. The pricing of the program was the last consideration we looked at, but I must say that it was what swayed us to go with Filewave. There are other MDMs out there that are better and more intuitive, but they are all triple the cost. For the price, you can't go wrong with Filewave.

Pros

The WYSYWIG GUI is easy to navigate and gives you the ability to create custom folder groupings for organizing your devices. The fact that we can manage PCs, Macs, and iOS devices from one tool gives a price advantage of not having to buy and maintain multiple managements programs. The "Observe Client" feature is super handy to remote into and control Macs and PCs. One super feature is the "Magic...

Cons

It seems a little prejudiced on the side of favoring Apple over Microsoft. I am told this will be changing with the transfer to the new CEO. There is a whole lot of documentation, but the online versions are not very user friendly. Again...documentation is light on the Windows side and tends to not be properly and thoroughly updated to the current operating systems. For instance, when I look up how to do a certain item on Windows 10, it will show how to to do it on Windows 7 but say that the same process can be done on Windows 8.1 and 10. Well...maybe it can, but you really need to know Windows in order to make the adjustments since they aren't exactly the same in their processes.

We're excited to hear about how you're using FileWave to streamline your work with Filesets and other key functionality. Thank you for your honest review - please keep directly providing us your ongoing feedback so we can consider it when developing future updates.

Perfect in multiplatform environments!

I find Filewave to be a compelling solution for cross-platform client management. It's reliable at getting software installed and does a good job reporting back client information. I simply wish QA could be improved.

Pros

Filewave does a very good job consolidating all the platforms of devices - iOS, Windows, Chromebooks, macOS. Filewave's foundation is built with a strong Apple focus but has definitely been working over the years to build it's Windows and Chromebook feature set. Also compared to many competitors, I find it to be the most reliable in terms of successfully pushing software to machines.

Cons

QA issues have plagued this software for many years. I've yet to do an upgrade and not have some major functionality break. We try postponing upgrades until the .1 or .2 patch releases typically but often we have no choice in order to get support for latest versions of iOS/macOS.

Thank you for your honest review. We¿re pleased to hear that you find our multi-platform functionality reliable and effective. We strive to provide the best product with key functionality to coincide with new platform releases on short notice - please keep providing use your direct feedback so we can keep providing the most stable and effective endpoint management solution in the market.

Hours Saved = Money Saved

The big issue I was facing was being able to manage all the IT assets as well as being able to setup new machines in a timely manner. Before when I would have to setup a new machine or setup an existing machine, it would take almost 6 man hours because i had to do all the settings manually. Now, All I need to do is take it out of the box, add it to FileWave, designate the machine to a specific group and then FileWave does the rest. It installs all the specific apps and configurations I want. Each machine doesn't have admin access so it's very important that the machines are configured with a standard build across the board. Because of FileWave, I know what each machine has installed on it both hardware and software with a quick glance.

Pros

It's super easy to use. Software updates and patching is now a breeze compared to before. I use to go to each machine manually and spend easily 2 nights just patching. Now I can do it in one night in less than 5 mins. Having the ability to deploy a patch or software update, set a timer on when to deploy and then get a report after it finished... makes life so much easier when it comes to managing IT assets.

Cons

The tracking features could be a bit better.

Filewave is the complete device management suite for multi platforms.

FileWave is the all in one Swiss army knife of device management tools. We chose this product because of its ability to help us with managing our iPads, MacBooks and Windows PC's. The support and leadership are also the reason our company chose FileWave. They really listen to the customer and want to make the experience a positive one. They believe the product is the what makes "IT the Easy Button". In many ways FileWave has done that for us. I am not sure how we could manage over one thousand devices on a daily basis with out it!

Pros

The fact that we can manage all devices from a single pane of glass is the key. Working with PC's, Macs, iOS, Android, Chrome devices makes this product above any other. I can manage devices, distribute packages and patches, I can remote into a device and run queries on device performance. What more do you need!

Cons

I have not had any issues that would warrant a negative response. The support team is great and would take care of any concerns.

Filewave claims to do it all, and it does...not everything well

Overall a mixed bag of useful and painful. Could have used better advice for setup such as what hardware/server OS to use. Apple is to blame for a lot of any issues we've had, Filewave stays up to date and has the best support I've ever dealt with.

Pros

I like the versatility of Mac or PC management. I like remotely pushing out software, to whichever computers I want...makes managing over 10k computers a LOT easier.

Cons

Sometimes slow, sometimes installs software without any reason visible (hard to see what is going to be installed on certain clients because of hierarchies of folders). Should have an easier way to create software packages to push out (like Ninite).

Thank you for providing your review of our software. We are always pleased to hear about how helpful our Support team is - they truly are a great group. Please keep giving us your feedback about your experience and be sure to let us know if we can help with any Apple-related issues.

Great Multi-Platform Management System

We use FileWave in a school setting. Previously we used separate management systems for iOS, MacOS, and Windows machines. FileWave is constantly usdating and improving their infrastructure, which has been great. They hold a yearly cilonferwnce that is very informative and let's us learn new skills in areas we choose. Their support is helpful, but getting in touch with them can be difficult. Their phone support has a max wait of 15 minutes, and then you get forwarded to voicemail. This happens almost every time I call. All in all, it works great, and we are happy with our switch to FileWave 2 years ago.

Pros

FileWave is a great management system that allows you to manage, observe, update, and push software to Mac, Android, iOS, and MacOS.

Cons

There isn't a quick and easy way to see status of filesets that have been pushed, such as a pie chart.

Makes My Job!

I have been using FileWave to manage our schools' computers for many years now and I don't know how I would do my job without. Everyday I get requests that a staff member needs a specific printer or an app/software and I can easily push them out with FileWave. This is the third year of also using FileWave to mange our iPads and this is working great to add the requested apps that come in regularly.

Pros

I like that when requests come in for a printer or software install, that I can open FileWave and send it out to my clients computers. No more running around!

Cons

The only con that I have is my own fault and that is keeping the filesets up to date.

Great Functionality With A Few Bugs

Pros

The software is updated regularly and functions reliably. The platforms that can be managed are also a plus. Overall the software allows us to manage our computers and mobile devices without many issues.

Cons

There are certain problems that occur and it appears to be database or command related. When speaking with support the best advice is often to wipe the device. This would be my biggest concern with the company. User data is important and erasing. device should not be a normal solution.

We¿re happy to hear that our regular updates, multi-platform service, and functionality help you get the job done! Thank you for providing your honest feedback - please keep telling us directly about your experience so we can work to provide the best product experience possible. We¿d love another chance to help troubleshoot and resolve those database issues you are experiencing. Please reach out to us through our support portal at https://www.filewave.com/support/alliance-support.

A great program that makes my job easier

Overall we have been very happy with Filewave, being a user for 5+ years I don't see us ever switching.

Pros

Deploying ipads is so simple and easy to manage them. We can push out ipad apps, track them down, and update them all wirelessly without much work. And customer service has always been great!

Cons

Honestly nothing. We switched to a competitor over one summer and switched back just a few months later. I cannot thing of one thing that Filewave does that I like the least.

FileWave MDM

Overall, we are very happy with FileWave. Very few problems occur, and when they do, they are never extreme problems. We’ve never had downtime or complete unusability as we have from our previous MDM.

Pros

The reliability is good. That was a major concern for us after our experiences with our last MDM provider. FileWave has been extremely reliable, and it always works well. The software functionality is stable; our old MDM would randomly take away features. So far, we’ve had very good luck with FW. Updates come often as well, which is always a plus.

Cons

We don’t like how long it sometimes takes to get things resolved. Granted, our prior MDM was way worse. The software has some specific bugs that have not yet been worked out; as an example, device naming doesn’t work well from the MDM.

Filewave has been a great solution.

Pros

Filewave makes it easy to manage our iPads. From the very beginning of the process, they have taken every necessary step to assist in using their product. I like the fact that I can run the software from either a MAC or a Windows machine. It is easy to use and I can make changes, additions, or deletions very quickly. Their customer and technical support is fantastic.

Cons

I can not think of any cons at this time.

Fast reliable Endpoint Management

Managing over 10,000 Apple computers and around 5,000 iPads with Filewave.

Pros

Ease of use. Filewave is easy and intuitive to use. Filewave also has Awesome support. They have not only assisted us with issues when found but have written us some custom packages.

Cons

There have been a few issues with the latest releases, however, Filewave is quick to publish an update that fixes the issues.

High learning curve, but amazing scalability

Filewave is like having another team member and then some. Countless hours of touching devices.

Pros

Filewave can do just about anything. In the past, if there was something I couldn't get FW to do, it was because I was unable to figure it out. Amazing customer support. They are alway ahead of the game when it comes to features and compatibility.

Cons

"In the past, if there was something I couldn't get FW to do, it was because I was unable to figure it out." Filewave is tricky to get the hang of so be prepared to read the manual.

Filewave has helped us deploy 100's of app and applications to thousands of devices

Pros

Filewave makes deploying software easy and has allowed us more time to focus on other technology related tasks within our coporation.

Cons

My least favorite part is the difficulty managing iPads. I don't necessarily believe this is only a Filewave issue but how iPads are handled through Apple.

Multi-Platform MDM Solution

I really enjoyed using it at my previous employer and I've really enjoyed using it in the Utility sector for update patching and installing new applications on the fly without spending large amounts of time to go to each system to do it manually as done in the past for the OSX systems.

Pros

I like that it works on multiple platforms for an all-in-one solution for OSX/Windows devices.

Cons

Would like to see a cloud-based MDM for IOS devices offering for security purposes.