PDQ Deploy & Inventory Logo

Created by sysadmins, for sysadmins.

PDQ Deploy & Inventory Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.31/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

ninjarmm
action1-rmm

Overall this is an excellent software. With ease of use and one click solutions it has produced less headaches then other solutions.
Outstanding value at the price point for the product capabilities.
Ability to target by queries, OUs or just about anything. Good integration between the prodcts (Deploy and Inventory).
It can sometimes be hard to find MSI versions of software installers which are required by PDQ Deploy, and making an MSI version can often be painful and tedious.
Patch Tuesday from Microsoft, the updates for Microsoft Office are left off. Only bad thing I can say.
Sometimes a google search can get you the answer, sometimes not. This can make it hit or miss if you do not have the correct switches for the parameters.

DI

Dan I.

Applications support and administration

Retail, 5,001-10,000 employees

PDQ Deploy & Inventory Review: A dream to work with!

Transcript

Dan: My name is Dan. I am an application specialist at a company of over 1000 people, and I would give...

SH

Scott H.

Network Administrator

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

Its the Best Tool I've Ever Used!

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Scott. I am a senior network administrator for a nonprofit and we provide services...

Charles C.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

#1 most used software in my role

Pros

Honestly I use it every day, multiple times a day. I wouldn't want to work somewhere that didn't have this software. My life is so much easier. Quickly find and patch computers & push out software and updates. Pair this with PDQ Inventory and you're golden.

Cons

I've honestly never had a problem with this software and I've been using it for probably 7 years at least.

DW

DANIEL W.

Libraries, 51-200 employees

PDQ Review

Pros

PDQ deploy is easy to use and install on your network. The functionality of the software allows ease of use deployment packages and updating with simple one click downloads. Built side by side with PDQ inventory target device management is simple and fun.

Cons

PDQ deploy in my opinion needs a GUI interface boost to bring it into the modern world. It has an old ADUC feel, but needs to be updated with a cloud platform feel or use. It would be very beneficial for a lot of organizations with an off-premise option.

PW

Phillip W.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

PDQ Deploy anomalies

Pros

Simplify server management Saves on me sign in multiple times Repeat task on remote machines

Cons

These features seem inconsistent: - Say you want to run a number on commands on a number of servers you cannot get a combined report of the output of all the commands. Often this is needed as the report may be input into further tools - You should be able to set default credentials for each computer you add manually which can be overridden from 'deploy one' - You should be able to group a group of...

Marek Š.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Cheap solution for cheap LAN only use-cases

I am overall happy regarding the needs that we currently have. Absolutely not good enough for modern and especially mobile cloud-based infrastructures though.

Pros

Block programming approach to defining the deployments and inventory. Really in-depth access to the OS that can read whatever you can think of with an ease. Visualisation of the results is not possible though.

Cons

No mobility support, no cloud, no dashboards, nothing. Users cannot interact with any deployment in any other way than by pressing OK. UX level cca when Greenday lead the hitparades.

BR

Bob R.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Perfect for mid-tier patch management

Pros

It's easy to create groups of servers that may need to be patched at different times based on usage. That also makes it easy to manage which patches are most important depending on server usage. i.e. is it connected to the Internet or not.

Cons

The biggest pain point is that it does not support Linux servers.

ST

Sonam T.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees

A regular PDQ user of 1 person IT department

I ran into projects after projects during pandemic. was looking for a tool to manage everything remotely, PDQ demo took place and went for it right away. Saved tons of time deploying patches, softwares, custom installations and much more. This tool allowed me to run whole IT department single handedly.

Pros

Ease of use, simplicity, effectiveness. PDQ has nice video based how to dos and that was helpful.

Cons

Two part of deploy and inventory, can they be one?

PS

Piotr S.

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

PDQ is amazing.

Pros

Number of options and flexibility of any PDQ product is amazing. Systems are super easy to deploy and work with. There is no better product on the market, and I've been tested multiple and still use some as addition to PDQ.

Cons

There is none, but it will be great if PDQ could work without having clients on VPN in the future. (And I think they are working on it)

YP

Yannick P.

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Save time while keeping your IT infrastructure up to date

PDQ Deploy need a bit of work to prepare the software packages, but after this first step (which can be demanding in some cases), the deployment and updates are like "click-and-wait". Since we are using PDQ Deploy, we can finaly keep our IT infrastructure consistent and up to date very easily and with only a few efforts.

Pros

Integrated packages for a lot of common applications, highly configurable software packae deployement, reliable, easy to use and well integrated in the Windows professionnal environnement.

Cons

PDQ Deploy does not allow you to really track the deployement history and the state of your IT infrastructure. External solutions (e.g. PDQ Inventory) are needed in order to know if a product or product version is already deployed.

JS

Jp S.

Law Practice, 51-200 employees

Perfect for a small shop

I took over at a small/medium firm that did not have any type of deployment software in place. I had experience with the free version of PDQ Deploy years ago at another small business and new that it would be at least worth trying it here. After creating a good service account with the correct permissions, I was rolling out test deployments with ease. Now, I use it every day either deploying software or finding new things to setup.

Pros

- Easy to set up- Easy to use- Small infrastructure footprint- Low resource needs- Helpful community- Fits needs of a small business

Cons

I can not think of any negatives currently.

DM

Denham M.

Information Services, 11-50 employees

Great Inventory program for Windows

Great it works great and does what I need.

Pros

Super easy to use, works wonderfully with PDQ Deploy.

Cons

Windows only, if there was a cross platform component it would be perfect.

JF

James F.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

PDQ has become the most used toolset in my career.

This is the 2nd job I have had with PDQ. Part of the reason I was hired for this position was my knowledge of PDQ. The previous admins had purchased but no one knew how to use it. The overall system was in a neglected state. In the 9 months I have been here I have rebuilt and moved PDQ to new servers and changed the way Patch management was done. I retired WSUS because I can do all that it does and more with PDQ. So much more. And the customer support is amazing. I use it when I am stuck with what seems to be unique to our company issues and your staff makes it simple to resolve. I do believe I have become a much more efficient engineer because of PDQ. Keep up the awesome work!!

Pros

Automation is a must when you have over 400 devices. It makes complex problems much easier to accomplish.

Cons

I really have not had time to learn all of the features of your products. But that is not on PDQ. Your YouTube videos are amazing and fun to watch. Keep up the humor. That goes a long way in IT.

JM

John M.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Amazing Software for Managing and Updating Windows Computers

Before using PDQ Deploy, we were periodically re-imaging our public computers which was a time consuming process as we have multiple areas in the library each with different software programs installed. In between re-imaging, key utility programs would regularly become out of date, negatively impacting patrons usage of the computers. Now with PDQ Deploy, we are able to easily update only specific software programs across all areas, irregardless of the overall software image in use. Simpler and faster process allows for the computers to be updated on a quicker schedule resulting in a better overall experience for our patrons, and significantly less time expended by IT staff.

Pros

The included Package Library is a fantastic added value to the program providing prepared and tested packages for installing/updating most of the popular/requested software programs. Very easy to use without having to study a lengthy manual. Seemless integration with existing systems and AD. Regular updates to the software, weekly webcasts, extensive video tutorials on usage.

Cons

None that I can really think of. Not a fan of the new program icons which make it more difficult to identify which program is which, but that's really a minor nitpick.

MA

Michael A.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Fits perfect in our Organisation

Fast Software-Deployment with a few clicks. Easy to handle. No need to visit the Users Desktop. Auto Download helps us to keep all Devices up to date.

Pros

In connection with Inventory it is very easy to deploy Updates and Tools with a few Clicks. With Automatic Deployment we get rid of annoying tasks like check and update Clients. It's nearly fire and forget :-)To create Deployment Packages is very easy. I'm able to deploy nearly any Tool within seconds without the need to visit the Desktop onsite.

Cons

Most of the Tools/Programs we're deploy with PDQ automaticaly detect and uses the OS-Language. But there are some Tools (e.g. Firefox) which does not. It was helpful to extend the Auto Download Package so that we can deploy the appropriate Language Pack. Actually we can convert the Auto Download Package to a Standard Package and modify this Standard Package. Unfortunately we lose the advantage of the auto download feature.

TM

Timothy M.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Inventory management at it's best.

Having Inventory is wonderful. Being able to quickly gather data on new or existing PCs is crucial. The more recent addition of the Powershell scanner makes the product pretty much universal to do whatever you can think of for reporting.

Pros

The report writing is so much nicer than other options which typically require in-depth knowledge of SQL or other coding languages.

Cons

Adding a large amount of file and registry scanners when scanning 5000+ devices has caused some issues with the database growing too large leading to performance issues and/or memory leaks.

JG

Jeroen G.

Farming, 51-200 employees

Just Get It !! You will never regret it !!

It is an amazing piece of software what takes a huge amount of headache away. It is quick, easy. If you want want to do software install and update deployment quick and easy you need PDQ Deploy !!

Pros

This product is super easy to use. Most standard packages are already build for you (and every new update there is more) what can be super easy rolled out to a test machine and then production. If you want custom installation it is so easy to install/copy - install/ create little batch files or full on powershell scripts. This is super easy comparing to SCCM or even WSUS.

Cons

I had to think long and hard about what could be improved and even asked my co-workers.... and really there is nothing at this moment what needs to be improved. It does what needs to be done and is super easy. (edit: Perhaps the only thing is that the log files with errors could be more detailed to directly been viewed)

MF

Michal F.

Facilities Services, 51-200 employees

An efficient solution for monitoring asset status and reporting.

Pros

- mostly easy to use - lots of templates to use and edit - provides a wide range of information and details about a specific device - grouping devices into collections according to different combinations of parameters

Cons

sometimes it is not easy to debug some more complex reports, but this is not directly a defect of the application itself

CM

Calum M.

Building Materials, 51-200 employees

Easy to get started with - lots more features once you're up and running!

PDQ is a massive time-saver - it allows me to manage way more devices than I could manually. It automates the drudgery of setting up and subsequently updating devices for users in my organisation, allowing me to get on with value-added development work, enhancements to business systems etc. PDQ gives me the peace of mind that my endpoints are updated, secure and all offer the same experience to my users.

Pros

I took over at an organisation with a fleet of servers, laptops and desktops that had been poorly maintained - each seemed to have a random selection of applications on an unpatched OS and there was no central knowledge of what was installed where. I was also on my own so didn't have time to investigate each endpoint individually - PDQ made it easy to automatically catalogue and then remediate all the issues out there - from the comfort of my desk!

Cons

There's nothing that I don't actually like about PDQ - my only issue is that I haven't had time to investigate all its many options and features! It was easy to get up to a good baseline and then I guess I didn't further my knowledge of its capabilities - that's all on me. Reading this questionnaire, it's clear it can do way more than I was aware of.

CM

Craig M.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reliable patching at a reasonable cost

Pros

What made me look at PDQ was the cost. What made me keep using it was how flexible I could get with deployments when used in conjunction with their inventory product. You really want both of these to take full advantage and the cost still remains reasonable. It is easy to setup something like monthly patching using the packages that PDQ maintains and updates have it auto update these packages on your system after a delay period such as 7 days then push it out to all systems as they come online. We even use it to deploy out base packages on new PC builds as they come online.

Cons

There can be some quirks with a system being detected online and it is very important your DNS is accurate. My biggest con would really be that it does not do a great job with remote users because there is no agent on the device. This is being addressed though in a cloud version of the product.

GT

Garan T.

Biotechnology, 201-500 employees

Your ServiceDesks best friend.

Amazing, PDQ Deploy has been an outstanding piece of software that we could never live without.

Pros

PDQ is an amazing tool that I could not live without, it provides the helpdesk with one click installation of custom MSI packages, pre-built MSI packages to make software deployment a breeze. It has built in scheduling to ensure all machines across our entire network have all the right software and are always up to date. It was an absolute breeze to set up and we were up and running within a couple of hours. Support has always been next level with detailed responses about almost any question we throw at them.

Cons

I don't like how vague some of the error messages can be on deployment when it fails but these are usually Windows errors that PDQ is simply feeding back.

AC

Andrey C.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent Decision Making Tool

Extremely simple to implement, and we keep finding new ways to utilize the data we have collected.

Pros

Ability to pull reports on any piece of information that is collected about any of my computers. This allows our team to make decisions that are much more informed. I've used it for targeting software that needs to be removed from our network. One particularly interesting case was to track down a specific printer attached with USB by serial number. We wrote a custom WMI query scanner and located the computer the printer was attached to.

Cons

I wish the capability of this software extended beyond the local network. Always-On VPN is not a feasible option in our environment. An agent-based option is something I would be willing to pay extra for.

LN

Luke N.

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Affordable option with low barrier to entry but highly customizable to fit your needs

We have been able to use PDQ Inventory to finely tune our PDQ Deploy schedules and deployments, as well as to plan hardware refresh cycles and do patch management, etc.

Pros

Easy to set up but highly customizable with SQL and PowerShell

Cons

Some aspects of building reports and collections are not intuitive. e.g. using "All, Any, Not All, Not Any" group filters instead of simple nested and/or operators. There is also some overlap between Reports and Collections in terms of functionality that can be confusing. Building a lot of collections, especially nested ones, gets very cumbersome and slows down the software considerably. I would like to see an option to use another SQL other than SQLite that would scale better.

BA

Bart A.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Deployment with ease.

It makes updating so much less time consuming and gives a proper overview about the installation states. Also using the integration with PDQ Inventory keeping software up to date that was installed later on manually on some machines also works. So if you for example installed an Adobe Reader manually that still can be updated by the software once it identified it. Update scheduling works like a charm.

Pros

Finally a product that does what it's supposed to do. And it's actually good at what it's doing. It is highly flexible. So if you just want to copy some files that works with this product as well as installations that do checks on dependencies. It has an own repository where already configured application installations exist. It can have schedules, it can deploy to one or more machines. You can group installations. It integrates nicely with PDQ inventory. What else to say than this is just great software for a reasonable price. It does what it is intended for and more.

Cons

I think there are no real cons worth mentioning. Just try and buy this software you will not regret.

DP

Darren P.

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Time & Sanity Saver!

From day one this software has been rock solid in all of the applications we use it for. We had a critical piece of software we needed installed immediately and I was able to setup a schedule to attempt to install the software every 30 minutes across my entire network, multiple locations throughout the state. This helped ensure that every machine received the software as we sometimes have trouble getting GPO installs to work in every office. Since then I have relied of PDQ for all of my install and updates. I've even started creating my images with the bare minimum of software and just use PDQ deploy for the last mile.

Pros

PDQ is incredibly simple to setup and use. It has streamlines rolling out new software and updates, I often use it over GPOs because I know it works 100% of the time.

Cons

I haven't found anything I do not like about PDQ deploy. It fills the role I had intended to use it for perfectly.

JV

Jean V.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

What would I do without this bundle (Inventory + Deploy)

After 5 years of using this bundle, I still feel I haven't use all of the options offer to me but it's doing what I want so everything is fine. And if I bug down, theirs supports is EXCELLENT, fast and to the point. Never, have I wait more than a day for a reply (try this with Microsoft).

Pros

Inventory: Knowking the state of our computers is a must. Lot of our users needs to deploy to remote places (to put out forest fire), it's imperative that theirs computers are ready to go. Using inventory and Deploy help me meet my goal.

Cons

Deploy: having to built new package is times consuming BUT they have good tutorials to help.

JH

John H.

Legal Services, 201-500 employees

Yes, you want Inventory too

PDQ Inventory will at first seem like it's optional. Yeah, PDQ Deploy is amazing. Though, Inventory is what you need to truly unlock the potential of Deploy. The ability to create really smart Dynamic Collections, then perform deployments on them is what makes the duo unstoppable. They're truly better together. I can't tell you how many times I'll hear an end user complain about a computer, and the first thing I'll do is a quick search to find out system information in PDQ Inventory.

Pros

Dynamic collections make my heart happy. We're able to stay on top of endpoint status without the burden of manual entry.

Cons

I love the software. In reality, the only thing I could ask for is the ability to do some closer to real-time alerts.