PDQ Deploy & Inventory Logo

Created by sysadmins, for sysadmins.

PDQ Deploy & Inventory Reviews - Page 2

JS

Joshua S.

Utilities, 501-1,000 employees

Inexpensive, Hierarchecal, and Scalable

My overall experience with inventory has been very positive. Whenever I change jobs I encourage them to switch to PDQ. After its adoption, my team shares my enthusiasm.

Pros

I like the ability to create nested groups, that can be dynamic or static. I will also enjoy the ability to use multiple compound statements, without limitation in order to drill down and find devices that meet whatever criteria I can dream up or that I've been given.

Cons

The only problems I've really run into is the speed that you're able to scan large scale organizations with a lot of VPN users. Occasionally DNS does not update quickly enough so you wind up with an IP pointing to a different workstation. This doesn't really cause a great deal of problems, it just causes the scan to fail. It's not a huge deal because it will correct itself during the next scan typically

RH

Richard H.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

PDQ Deploy for Education

I literally cannot do my job without this software. I daresay that once you try it, you will find that you will agree with me.

Pros

The software itself works really well. The hard part consists of getting all the machines to talk to each other and then figuring out the silent command -line statements that are needed to install the software. For most of the well-known software, the silent switches are well known and for the most popular tools PDQ will even supply their own scripts.

Cons

I'd love PDQ Deploy to re-imagine their local Agent idea. The last time they tried it supposedly didnt meet their standards. I'd say look at other software like Goverlan and even AWS Thinkbox Deadline (a renderfarm manager) to see how they do a local Agent to see if those would meet the criteria. PDQ has no ability to install software that doesn't offer a command-line silent switch. You'd think that...

SS

Steven S.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

PDQ is awesome!

Everything about PDQ is amazing. Easy to use, its flexibility and continuing improvements. Really no bad things to say about it aside from keep it up and making improvements.

Pros

PDQ is an easy to use tool to scan machines for information on each machine as well as deploying apps. We use it with our deployments to segregate different builds for machines. The ability to deploy powershell scripts, install .exe files and copy files is amazing and very easy.We also calls PDQs API to deploy different things making it a central hub for app deployment. The future will be making a service that users can just call PDQ to deploy an app to them.PDQ connect has a lot of promise, which will allow us to deploy apps that are not connected to our network. Giving us more control beyondAnother plan soon will be to use PDQ for software license counts.PDQ was also easy to setup and migrate to a new server when we wanted to increase the specs of the machine it was on.

Cons

They are working towards it now, but the ability to deploy to machines beyond our network is amazing. Giving us information too and status updates on those machines so we can monitor them.Not a con but I do hope they continue adding to their PDQ inventory and API. A future request/project for us is to beable to use PDQ to keep an accurate license count of software. We have some long ideas but would love to use PDQ to keep tabs on everything for us rather than relying on basic data entry.

SW

Stephen W.

Government Administration, 501-1,000 employees

The one thing you got to have

Used it at previous job, and when I came discovered they had a competitor. Tried to learn the competitor's patch management and device management. It was a headache and time consuming. Got the boss to purchase PDQ and right of the bat, everyone could use it quickly and efficiently without reading a 100 page pdf on how to use it. So intuitive and easy to use. I use it daily to manage my computers and make sure everything is up to date. Boss has come to me a couple times asking for a list of XYZ, and expecting that it is a project for the rest of the day, I'm able to get that to him within the hour, sometimes in ten minutes.

Pros

the dynamic collections you can make has been life changing. Able to create one on the fly and it continue to update and tell me if new computers have something unwanted on it, or computers that are missing important programs. I use it daily to check things. I also use it to quickly remote into computers. I have computers on the road and I have to jump in there sometimes remotely and need to be able...

Cons

Not much that I do not like. The new icons are weird and there are some bugs in pdq deploy that get updates stuck and they just sit in the list forever. Usually when I have a con come up in my mind, I find out that the feature request I thought of, is already in the system some where.

JN

Javier N.

Civic & Social Organization, 501-1,000 employees

PDQ la Herramienta Indispensable para los Equipos de IT

Sin duda ha sido un acierto para nosotros, hemos apostado y hemos ganado con creces con su herramienta.Agradezco el foro pdqforum.com y los videos que hay en su canal de youtube, ha sido un acierto, ya que nos han ayudado a entender la forma de trabajar con la herramienta y de como configurar los primeros paso y lo que es indispensable, luego ya nos ha tocado afinar las configuraciones según nuestras necesidades.PDQ Inventory y PDQ Deploy han cambiado nuestra forma de trabajar, todo mucho más ordenado y viendo los cambios realizados en los equipos en tiempo real, lo recomiendo 100%

Pros

En un principio se tuvieron que configurar los parámetros que nosotros deseábamos, que no fueron pocos, se realizaron filtrados por equipos, por S.O., por sedes, por software instalado, por ubicaciones, por antigüedad, por no uso, por estar pendientes de Updates.

Cons

Lo que menos me ha gustado es sin duda el que en algunas actualizaciones de productos se hayan configurado para que no sean actualizables, nos ha pasado con Chrome y Zoom que hemos tenido que realizar la instalación con una configuración manual y editar el registro en los equipos para que vuelva a ser auto actualizables.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

TS

Tony S.

Government Relations, 51-200 employees

PDQ Inventory and Deploy ROCKS!

I've been using PDQ for about 5-6 years. For us, it's a life saver because until recently I have been the only IT on site. I just hired a admin and he's loving this software as well. Their support is top notch!! When I am stuck, I get a quick answer.

Pros

I highly like all the details collected for each servers and workstations and the ability to created dynamic collections that can integrate with Deploy.

Cons

Not that much. The only thing I can think of, ......ugh. Can't think of a thing right now :)

SQ

Syed Q.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Software Patching and Deployment Made Simple with PDQ

It is helping us to automate our patching;  and remotely installing new software;  and updating systems on a number of devices at once. Patching third-party applications has traditionally been a time-consuming task, but PDQ makes it incredibly simple and quick. Almost no problems have arisen when applying patches or software updates.  It's now simpler than ever to deploy new applications to all workstations.

Pros

It has helped me save time.  Our organization has limited IT staff and your software has immensly helped us to automate patching and installing software on our systems.   We are using PDQ to update some of our applications such as Chrome, FireFox, Notepad ++, and Audacity.As a result of Covid, most of our staff had to move to work remotely. We were able to support our staff remotely using PDQ.

Cons

There is a little learning curve, especially for installations that are more complicated. However, there is excellent documentation, and there is a wealth of data online.   The cost was a bit costly for our organization, but it was well worth it.    Although I don't use the software to its full potential, I'm sure there are some sophisticated functions that others could find useful.    It would also be wonderful to have more software packages included with PDQ right out of the box or at the very least an ability to patch in more commonplace software.

GC

Gabe C.

Investment Banking, 201-500 employees

Great Product but....

Overall I love the functionality. I wouldn’t change a whole lot other than having access to systems outside of our network

Pros

We love being able to set custom scans for things like registry values. I can quickly pull reports or scan systems for up-to-date information when I need it.

Cons

We really need to scan systems that are outside of our network. We deploy about 80% of systems as laptops. During the last year most have been off the network or on a VPN connection for a varied amount of time. Without a client, PDQ has really struggled to meet our needs. I have expressed our struggles to your support team but I did not receive any reassurance that a client is in the works. We will continue to look for a replacement to PDQ until there is a client. I’m hopeful to find something suitable soon if PDQ can not meet the challenges of many machines outside of the network.

BH

Brian H.

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Has proven it's worth

It has mostly been positive. There are a few pain points that we're still trying to figure out, such as stale DNS records for workstations. But besides this we're quite happy with the product.

Pros

We've been using PDQ Deploy/Inventory for the past couple of years to manage our employee machines as well as our Windows servers. The ability to push out a new piece of software, or to patch older software with just a few click has been invaluable with how much time it's saved us.

Cons

With a lot of our employee's working from home during and now after the pandemic, one short-coming of the software is that there is a complete lack of management for remote devices. If the workstation is not on the "local" network with the PDQ server it is impossible to manage. Having an agent that phones home to the PDQ server and handles all tasks would be the ideal solution to this.

JB

Jason B.

Utilities, 51-200 employees

PDQ Inventory - wouldn't want to live without it

Pros

The interface closely resembles MMC which I'm used to. It's super fast when searching for something in particular about a computer or computers. The reports are customizable and very useful.

Cons

I have no complaints about this software. It's amazing.

DI

Dan I.

Retail, 5,001-10,000 employees

Best all around remote management and monitoring tool in the industry, no contest

Mindblowing, if all software was this good there would not be any conflict in the world.

Pros

-> Intuituve -> Extensive and detailed documentation -> Good technical support -> Low maintenance, great performance -> Fantastic UI -> Phenomenal integration with external scripting languages like powershell and batch.

Cons

-> Hard to think of anything, this thing WORKS. Reminds me of Windows 7 when it came out, kicked ass out of the box (and kicks ass even today). We're on a 4 year old version of PDQ and even with all the missing updates, it still works very well.

DF

Donny F.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Great price for a product that does what it supposed to do. Love it!

Easy to install and collect asset inventory.

Pros

Ease of install and use. Great inventory/asset management functionality.

Cons

Can't manage remote devices at user's home that's not on the LAN/WAN (corporate network).

DC

Dawn C.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Great Product

It has been great. It is easy to use and navigate. It makes it easy to push out patches and software to computers. We no longer have to go to each computer to install products. The built in Vendors is such a great feature and one I use often, it saves me from having to go out and down load software from the Vendor constantly!

Pros

It is easy to use and makes my job more efficient.

Cons

I would like the Deploy and Inventory products in one interface. I understand though that people may only want one of the products. It would be nice to have them integrated together for those that use both products.

RH

Robert H.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

PDQ Deploy is wonderful for Windows networks

Overall, I absolutely loved PDQ products when paired in a mostly Windows environment. My needs were simple, and PDQ worked wonderfully. You can test out both PDQ Deploy and Inventory before you buy, and I highly suggest you do so. It is one of the fastest, most lightweight products I've ever used, and I'd recommend it in almost all scenarios where Windows is your main OS.

Pros

PDQ Deploy and Inventory are one of the absolute best if you have only Windows based end machines in your network. It is really, really fast, and well laid out. I doubt you'll have to read the manual in most cases. The resource usage of PDQ products is extremely light and not demanding.

Cons

It's really made for mostly Windows based networks, and works best when all machines are on-prem, or connected via VPN in my experience. If you need really complex IF / THEN type deployment or patching on other OSes, you may wish to look at BigFix.

RB

Ray B.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great Product

The one challenge that we were able to overcome was identifying our computers that had versions of Windows 10 that were no longer supported by Microsoft.

Pros

We really appreciate the ability to view Windows versioning. It help us identify the outdated computers so we could get them updated. It saved us countless hours.

Cons

I can't think of a con. The only con I can identify is, that we have to take time to learn some aspects of the functionality.

MK

Maksims K.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

PDQ deployment and Inventory

Can't tell something bad about it, easy to use, affordable price, nice support.

Pros

Most of all, we use PDQ deployment, easy way to deploy software and patches. PDQ deployment is good for script automation, easy to set up any scheduled task to meet your requirements.

Cons

Devices outside the local network are not manageable.

BD

Bryan D.

Banking, 201-500 employees

Inexpensive but crazy powerful

I absolutely love it, but you have to have PDQ Inventory with it! If you want full IT Godhood, you have to both parts. Thankfully the price means it won't break the budget, heck we buy laptops for more than the yearly cost of both of these.

Pros

It is so intuitive that after watching a 30 minute video from youtube (love the channel btw) a brand new user will be able to deploy software and run reports.

Cons

I wish that this software would integrate into Smart Deploy, so I can push OS as well as software

IH

Ian H.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Keeping tabs with PDQ Inventory

I started using the free version at a former job and introduced it to my team at my current job. I asked a few times for the licensed version and eventually after i produced a potential ROI document i managed to get 2 licenses for both deploy and inventory. My colleague and i get so much more accomplished leaving time for the more physical side of our jobs.

Pros

I love everything about this software. The tools are all there, command line, MMC Management, Reboot, remote assist and desktop wake... Dunamic grouping so i can keep abreast of what needs this or that software. What operating System, whether it is laptop, desktop or server. Registry printers etc etc, is there anything it cant do.

Cons

None absolutely none. With this in my tool box i save myself weeks worth of work within a year. The ROI impresses the fiscal department, our turnaround of work requests jumped staggeringly according to our quality and rounding departments.

RK

Raymond K.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Great for free features, can't afford pay features.

IT has been great for years, I love that I can just click a computer and remote desktop by hitting keys, I love that it scans and tells me it needs rebooting, although that is getting to be to much now, it has always been great in the past. I can also run commands turning on/off services, that allow other software to work on them as well, but I don't need left on all the time.

Pros

It allows me to do many things from 1 central place that I could do for free with other scripts and tools, but PDQ has made put it all into one nice package.

Cons

Wake on lan tool used to work better over vLans now I have to use another tool for that. It is also saying computers need to be rebooting almost everyday even when computers don't seem to say themselves. This is the key feature I use PDQ Inventory for, scan and see if they are all up to date and need restart for updates.

DW

Duncan W.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

PDQ - SysAdmin's Dream!

All I can say is that I wish I had found this product sooner. As a 1 man band at a company of 150 users this makes my life so much easier and gives me a great overall view of what's on my network. 10/10 recommend.

Pros

Where to start! Love the preconfigured Collections that lets us know about which most common applications are out of date, and then we can literally right-click and Select PDQ Deploy to update them.Very easy program to use and I love the reporting side of it.

Cons

There could be more commonly used Reports straight out of the box, but not that big of a deal as it's easy to create your own and run against a collection.

BR

Bob R.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Perfect for mid-tier patch management

Pros

It's easy to create groups of servers that may need to be patched at different times based on usage. That also makes it easy to manage which patches are most important depending on server usage. i.e. is it connected to the Internet or not.

Cons

The biggest pain point is that it does not support Linux servers.

FG

Francesca G.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Never Gets Enough of It, Very Easy to Use

It has been a smooth ride on asset tracking and management with this tool which has resulted in reduced cost of asset replacement due to loss or wear and tear. The ripple effect is inventory management which has been made easy and efficient using PDQ Deploy & Inventory.

Pros

Despite the ease of use, it is a great tool that helped with patch management as well as real time monitoring of assets.

Cons

Nothing to dislike, it met our expectations

André L.

Chemicals, 201-500 employees

A easy to use and reliable solution for small and mid sized companies

When we started to use this software, we did not have a solution to inventory and deploy softwares on your computers and servers, that is a powerful tool, with a very good price that really worths the investiment. We were able to keep all our computers and softwares updated, and we have pushed some Windows build updates through PDQ Deploy, which worked very well! If you do not have a inventory/deploy solution on your environment, and cannot spend so much money with it, go with PDQ without think twice, you will not regret!

Pros

It is easy to implement, configure and to use it, everything on this software is so intuitive, even if you not read the manual you can do more than 50% of the software functionalities. The software has a wide variety of options to deploy softwares to your computers, also, if you spend a few bucks more, you can buy the PDQ Inventory, which works very well integrated with the Deploy solution.

Cons

The error messages on the deploys are not so clear, it difficults the troubleshooting on the first time without some research.

JB

Jamie B.

Government Administration, 201-500 employees

PDQ Deply and Inventory

As stated above, this has made my monthly patching much easier and also allowed me to auto patch more apps than just Windows updates. I have also built out auto deployment packages that I use when settin gup new machines. I add them to my domain, Inventory picks them up on scan and adds them to a dynamic collection, Deploys heartbeat deployment for that collection pushes out the preconfigured list of apps/packages and generates a message on each machine when finished.

Pros

Tried this out after some frustration with SCCM. While the MS product was getting my monthly patch Tuesday stuff covered, it felt a little complicated to manage. With PDQ deploy, it feels much easier, plus im now getting windows patches as well as patching many other apps(Chrome, edge, 7-zip, VLC, etc.) in what I feel is a much more user friendly and intuitive interface.

Cons

Has built-in support for VNC for remote control which I don't currently use. I'll be making the switch but wish there were other options.

JM

Joseph M.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

For Easy Deployment and Version management use PDQ

Deploy has been fantastic to use, removing old VNC clients post-pandemic and adding a free to use version was already built in for RealVNC and TightVNC (Free)

Pros

Being able to see the individual steps of the install and where they fail is critical in order to deploy our apps to new and old hosts. Using deploy we can edit each individual step in order to make deploys run smoothly.There's usually prebuilt installation packages for installations which for most of our 'basic' apps we like to use and it saves time for us to create and manage these items.

Cons

Using it without PDQ Inventory is slightly more involved. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to merge the two apps together somewhere down the road as they're both powerhouses in management.