ShelbyNext Financials Logo

ShelbyNext Financials

Accounting and financial management for churches

ShelbyNext Financials Reviews

4.0

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.64/10

Reviews by rating

The customer service representatives are all very nice, courteous, helpful and professional.
This software is exactly like V5 with a few awesome upgrades. We love the new report formats that can be ran as well as the charts and graphs that come with them.
Having to hit the accept button is frustrating. Sometimes I get interrupted in the office with other issues and lose all my input because the program cuts you off the software.
I hate that this "world" doesn't connect to the Shelby Membership "world. Having to input demographic information into both is such a time-consuming thing.
I only use this once a month to pull my department reports. It has been a little confusing understanding where I can find what I need.

Rex A.

Lead Pastor

ShelbyNext Financials User Review

Jason P.

Associate Pastor of Administration

Disappointed

Transcript

Jason P.: My name is Jason, and I work at a church, Associate Pastor of Administration and Finance. I...

CT

Connie T.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

ShelbyNext Financials

Able to process checks for monthly invoices quickly. Enables us to report PR taxes on time and with very little effort. Workers' Compensation report provides all information needed for annual audit; simply run, print and send. Custom Reports allow organization to produce information particular to our need. Creates reports that are easy to read. Cuts down on need for large financial staff.

Pros

Shelby software is organized into modular components, Accts Payable, Gen Ledger, Payroll, Bank Mngmt & Insurance Billing. These are stand alone modules, but work together to achieve overall outcome with good audit trails. We do not use Insurance Billing. I have worked with ShelbyNext Financials for 4 yrs & Shelby v.5 for 8 yrs; believe it would be challenging to breach either system. Invoices...

Cons

Have yet to find something I do not like about Shelby software. There is a learning curve as ShelbyNext is multifaceted and takes a little time and patience to use proficiently, but is easy to learn and tech support is always available to help with problems. There are times when I have waited in que for 20 minutes for help from tech support, however understand other people are needing help as much as me; therefore, should my problem take an unusual amount of time to answer, I know tech will stay with me until my issue is resolved . Shelby techs have ability to remote in to system and see your screen which makes solving problems much easier and quicker.

AP

Ana P.

ShelbyNext Financials

Pros

I have been using ShelbyNext Financials only for a year, so I believe there are a lot still to learn; but so far I like it a lot. It's non accountant user's friendly, which help Financial Dept let the others see their updated budget information; with the setup of the correct security parameters In general all the configuration is really easy, while modifying the COA you'll be able to see the levels on the screen which it will help to setup new accounts. The option to have the reports in different formats is useful. Importing the annual budget, the credit card into ShelyNext saves a lot of time and reduce the errors. There is a lot of features that you'll be discovering as your needs appear. In my position, have access from anywhere to the accounting is awesome.

Cons

The cons that I found is the exporting in excel, most used for finances; the reports include additional lines and columns that you basically have to re-format the entire report. We are coming from v.5 which was giving us the option to refresh in excel at any time the monthly balances, with ShelbyNext we have to export in excel every time an once again re-format the report. No much information for the Ad Hoc Reports, which are extremely hard to understand and use them; reports from Payroll relate to employees information only, and reports from Purchasing Management (no reporting at all) are important to us and ShelbyNext doesn't give options. We would like to be able to have consolidate Financial Reports for the different campus we have directly from the software.

BB

Ben B.

If we knew better...

Poor accounting support.

Pros

Lots of features, capabilities to expand. Workflows are great!

Cons

Shelby financials- Customer support can’t give us GAP advice; if I had known There were not accountants we could call we wouldn’t have purchased. We were oversold. The capabilities are great but we would rather have quality over quantity - seems when we call to ask questions we get different support specialist who have different opinions on how to accomplish our goal, none of which actually help in...

RC

Rachel C.

Longtime user

Pros

We previously used Shelby v5 financials and so we liked that we were somewhat familiar with the brand already. We knew Shelby is an established company. We like that it is web based which makes it possible to work from home on occasion. The payroll, accounts payable, and general ledger modules seem to work well for our needs. Overall it meets our needs and because we previously used Shelby we felt it was a safe choice.

Cons

Based on our experience switching from v5 to ShelbyNext, we miss certain feature that we were used to. I wish that Shelby had a better solution than Accounts Receivable for registrations (we have a preschool and other events). The "relationships" feature in Accounts Receivable needs some work. There is an online payment piece, but we stopped using it because it seemed that it needed much more development...

JA

Jonathan A.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Shelby V5 upgrade

We have had a wonderful experience with ShelbyNext | Financials and would switch again if we had to do it again.

Pros

We truly enjoy the ease of use with this software. We enjoy that we can manage all of our accounting from one program. (ie. accounts receivable, payable, ledger, payroll, etc)

Cons

The overall cost is pretty significant compared to other accounting software. However, we use the membership side of it so it is seamless.

SM

Suzy M.

ShelbyNext Financials

SN Financials helps us to track both receipts and expenditures in such a way that is easy for our congregation to understand. Basic reports generated have created a consistent reporting of church finances.

Pros

I like that all of our church management software is through Shelby. The transition to ShelbyNext from the v.5 product was challenging, and yet, Shelby was something of a “known” product for us. Not all church management packages have a financial component, and yet, Shelby did. It is fairly easy to use with basic accounting knowledge.

Cons

Some of the “fixes” for glitches in the software have taken considerable time to resolve. Have never been confident enough in the syncing process to sync up on-line gifts to the GL. Creating special reports is not user friendly.

RN

Robin N.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Software is great, implementation was horrible, customer support not good

Once trained very easy to use and intuitive.

Pros

It is superior accounting software (and I have used many over the years). I like the basic logic to this software and because of this basic logic the ability to run many different reports many different ways. I absolutely love the bank reconciliation reports and the general ledger and the way you can fashion reports based on your need. I like that you can adjust the income statement with custom columns.

Cons

I don't like it when I am doing a journal entry and the first line never accepts the account number and the only way to get it to "recognize" it is to search for it. Annoying. I don't like that all of a sudden something will look entirely different from the last time you performed that same function. When you call customer support and you are in critical need the recording tells you they can not answer at this time and to call back. Not acceptable for a support based software that we pay so much for.

LD

Laura D.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Pros

I like being able to see the transaction inquiry...to view by invoice or by payment. I like to be able to see how the payment was applied, especially when it is applied to multiple invoices. I also like being able to pre-populate our charges.

Cons

I hate that this "world" doesn't connect to the Shelby Membership "world". Having to input demographic information into both is such a time-consuming thing. Because we are a preschool, I have to enter the parent(s) and the child(ren) in both places.

Robyn B.

Fairly easy to use but sometimes have problems with the search option

First and foremost, it allows me to provide good customer service to the ministers and churches that need information. This new version of Shelby requires fewer keystrokes to obtain data.

Pros

Generating mailing lists is much easier than the old version of Shelby. Only have to make a couple of keystrokes to get updated sorts.

Cons

Difficult to search for churches - have to know the actual church name, which requires looking it up with a hard copy directory.

DM

Diana M.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Positive, reliable and a great tool that makes my job easier

Pros

It is web based so I can work from anywhere. The drill down function in GL makes research sooo much easier than V5. (we scan everything!) The UI is easy to understand and navigate. Am able to easily train staff to look up data and run reports. The conversion from V5 was a lengthy process but clean once it was done.

Cons

Biggest issue is that ShelbyNext Financials is still not SQL 2016 compatible!!! Bug fixes seem to take longer than they should to fix (specifically an AP issue with default ACH that we have been waiting for for over a year)

AH

Aleeya H.

Religious Institutions, 201-500 employees

JFBC ShelbyNext Review

I am pleased with ShelbyNext. I didn't do much with financials when we were using the older version of Shelby but now I use Next every day.

Pros

The design of the software is easy to follow and easy to read. Much better than our older version of Shelby which has small windows and was not very intuitive. ShelbyNext can be confusing at times but with experience and training, I have become more confident using it. I am also helping train others to use the software.

Cons

When entering items to make another line you click the + sign but you can also hit enter at the + sign to make another line. Sometimes, if I hit enter instead of clicking on the + with a mouse, it completes the transaction and closes out the window. Also, after entering so many lines a second or third page is created but the window doesn't automatically shift to the new page. Seems like that would be automatic if you were at the end of one page if you clicked for another line it should go to that new line on the second page.

EQ

Emily Q.

ShelbyNext Review

I like it overall. I really like the over lap between Shelby and Arena. For a church our size it helps with keeping track of individuals information. I am not an accountant by trade so I appreciate the user friendliness of this software. For me, it was very easy to pick up and learn.

Pros

I like the user friendliness of the software overall. I like that it helps guide you in the correct accounting procedures.

Cons

The glitchiness of it. Sometimes it does not work properly and I have to go back and un-post transactions.

JS

Janice S.

ShelbyNext Financials-Good Experience

We operate a preschool and medium size church with the Financials. The software supports multiple companies, multiple funds and multiple fiscal year ends. It is very user friendly and intuitive.

Pros

Financials has been easy to adapt to and easy to teach others on staff. It integrates smoothly with SN Membership. The Shelby support team has been great to work with and always responsive.

Cons

When we hosted the software on our server, we never seemed to have the latest updates. Once we moved to hosted operations, we are always up to date and have the latest fixes.

KC

Kathy C.

ShelbyNext/Financials

The benefits to ShelbyNext/Financials is accountability for the user. You have a paper trail (so to speak) for each entry that you do in the financials module which is key. Not all financial software has this requirement.

Pros

I like the fact that ShelbyNext follows GAAP policy and procedures to bookkeeping as well as it's ease of use.

Cons

The cost. I think it is a shame that smaller churches cannot afford to take advantage of Shelby's programs for financial oversight.

LP

Lisa P.

I’d recommend to others

I switched from a company using Blackbaud. The difference is night and day!! I’d never go back!

Pros

Their customer service is top notch. Not only is the wait time minimal, they take a personal interest in getting it right for you.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there are too many steps to go through. However, these are probably for the users protection.

JP

Joey P.

A Good Software for Larger Churches

I love it! Especially on the forms side of things. They have made our lives so much easier.

Pros

I love all the different features and functionalities of Shelby. The features available allow you to do a lot, which is important when working with people. The interface is also quite nice and user friendly.

Cons

Sometimes I feel that the process involved in the software are over-complicated. Some processes, although very helpful, can have a high number of steps.

PA

Phillip A.

ShelbyNext Financials

Pros

I love that the software is cloud based and can be accessed away form a church server.

Cons

Drastically different from the old Shelby v5 platform.

PD

Pam D.

ShelbyNext Financials makes sense

Once again, just having a cloud based program has made a huge difference in our office. No more restarting the server or troubleshooting connection problems, etc.

Pros

For us moving to a cloud based product has been very helpful. Accounts payable with credit card transaction tracking is very helpful.

Cons

There is room for improvement as far as data entry. I think some of the steps could be modified so that it is quicker. The use of projects which I use a lot was made more difficult instead of easier. But this does not change my mind about the product.

LC

Lollita C.

Still Mastering the software

We have been able to provide better reports and statistical data as necessary.

Pros

The software is easy to use and highly functional for my day to job function.

Cons

Some options seem repetitive while other's don't exist that seem essential to function. Sometimes this seems to make task that were easier in our previous software with Shelby V.5 more user friendly. Then again hard to say because we used it for so long we were very familiar with the software and we are still mastering all available options in Shelby Next Financials. I also which financials and membership worked more cohesively.

DW

Daniel W.

We have been very pleased with the Shelby Next Financials Product

Pros

We like the ease and use of the software. We also like the new changes that close some of the loop holes in the software that allowed transactions that do not follow generally accepted accounting principles.

Cons

We lost the ability to use GL Plus. However, the module has been added back to allow us to have multiple companies in the general ledger

NM

Nikki M.

Highly recommend ShelbyFinancials! Easy to use, great program for church financial management.

Pros

Web based allows for use at any location or time. Program is easy for employees to use. Handles accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliation function easily.

Cons

No major issues with the program. If needing to use Accounts Receivable system for tuition & fee tracking for daycare program, not as customizable as preferred.

KM

Kim M.

Switched from v5

Pros

The fact that it is 100% cloud based and Shelby automatically installs updates.

Cons

It does not automatically integrate with Shelby Membership. Example: address changes in membership does not change in financials.

RS

Rick S.

We upgraded to ShelbyNext from Shelby V5, and the experience was pretty painless.

Pros

We like the intuitive operation of the system which does not require extensive training to become proficient. The canned reports are useful ready to use out of the box.

Cons

Writing a custom report should've be easier. Occasionally, an ad hoc report is needed, and ShelbyNext is a bit difficult to learn.

VG

Vivian G.

ShelbyNext

Pros

Once I understand what I'm doing :) it's easy to follow and get what I need out of it.

Cons

I can't think of anything right now.????

LA

Leslie A.

Small church perspective

Pros

I find paying the bills to be really easy with the Financials software. Click - click - and done!

Cons

I don't have any dislikes - our church is small and the parts we use (paying bills, payroll, bank account management) are relatively easy to learn and maneuver through.