Pixelmator Pro Logo

Image editing software with various effects, presets & tools

Pixelmator Pro Reviews

Suggested alternatives

flipsnack
dochipo
gotphoto

I love pixel mayor’s simplistic yet powerful tool kit. As a user for the past 2 years, I’ve been so impressed with how easy it is to pick this tool up.
It really feels like the developers are walking that perfect line of "ease of use" and "technical ability. It has been the perfect fit for quick photo adjustment and flyer/poster/slide creation.
It is super easy to use and excellent value for money. Best alternative for photoshop so far for simple projects.
There are some features missing, is much more basic than other software and it gets a bit slow.
Some features might be somewhat hidden or difficult to identify.

DD

Daniel D.

Founder

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Great photoshop alternative for regular humans

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Daniel. I'm a business owner. I give five out of five star review on Pixelmator...

JK

Jon K.

Pastor

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Best for the budget

Transcript

John: Hi, there. My name is John. I am an assistant pastor at a church and I would give Pixelmator Pro...

Scott B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

It's not easy to fall in love with image editing software

Once you learn some of its features, you can create just about anything. While I have not edited pictures, the ability to edit and repurpose elements. We were able to recreate a sign with edits from a PNG of the original. It really helps create images for advertising and social media.

Pros

I am not a graphics processing person. Pixelmator is used to create composite pictures and advertising images. I love the way it can detect the subject of the image and cut it out of the background. It was able to replace backgrounds. Even in the most basic mode, I can create any image I need including signs, banners, and web-based graphics.

Cons

Pixelmator is so feature packed that it can get confusing for those of us who are not graphics professional. While the learning curve may not be as high as other programs, there is a learning curve.

DB

Darlene B.

Publishing, 1-10 employees

Equivalent to Photoshop for a Reasonable Price

I do almost all my graphics on PIxelmator Pro, thought I do use Canva for quicker cut/paste creations and final rendering. I create book covers and detailed banners/graphics/ promotional materials for both our church and for my business using Pixelmator Pro. There are many features in Pixelmator Pro that I do not yet use. I learned a new one just yesterday as I had need--by finding the answer in a forum and applying that. I still would like to figure out how to do some filters, but I know there are many more features awaiting my learning them in Pixelmator Pro.

Pros

The functionability of the app. I can do (just about) anything graphic with Pixelmator Pro and it seems more intuitive than Photoshop. I use this app every day and enjoy creating graphics using Pixelmator Pro. I'm not an expert in design, but this app enables me to learn as I go. Also I appreciate that there are forums out there of other users, so if I have a question/problem I can usually find an answer/work-around. FInally, the best aspect is the one-time purchase rather than rental/membership.

Cons

I cannot edit vectors. I use Depositphotos, and many graphics images often are available as eps files. These cannot be edited with Pixelmator Pro and I haven't found a way to integrate these vectors into my workflow--for example, even using free convertors online does not enable them to be brought into Pixelmator Pro. I understand that the earlier Pixelmator did convert eps files. Another con is the feather/soft edge tool is not usable with objects. A mask is needed, but that is one-directional.

Real Estate, self-employed

Good for Basic Graphic Design

I started out using Pixelmator Pro because it was the cheapest, most accessible option out there for multi-function graphics design, including vector drawing. However, because of the prevalence or dominance of other programs (like Photoshop or Illustrator) among other people and tools that are used in the design business, it has become superfluous among the other programs that I ended up needing to use more regularly.

Pros

Pixelmator Pro is similar enough to Adobe PhotoShop that it was pretty easy to jump into using right away, despite being much more accessible price-wise.

Cons

It is incompatible and hard to use with other applications, and sometimes formatting doesn't work between programs. It also does not have as much online support or as many functions as Adobe Photoshop, so I don't use it as much.

KT

Keith T.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Pixelmator Pro

My overall experience with PIXELMATOR PRO is offers the features and. benefits of a Photoshop type graphics program without all the complexity that comes with learning Photoshop. Its been my go to graphics software for 10+ years

Pros

The features I like and use the most are the graphics options, color optimization and color exchange, the vast number of ways you can use the fx and the endless possibilities with all the editing tools it has built into the software

Cons

I have no Cons, the software has always served my needs.

DS

Douglas S.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

A great alternative to Photoshop

My experience with Pixelmator Pro has been a positive and productive one. I am a one-person shop and the software meets all my graphic editing needs. I have been able to easy create and edit various projects from business cards, to logos, to graphic images.

Pros

Pixemator Pro is a great alternative for Photoshop and other similar products. It has an easy learning curve on all of its features. The available help and tutorials are extremely helpful and easy to follow. I also love that the software is native to the Mac OS operating system.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons for Pixelmator Pro.

VP

Vincent P.

Retail, self-employed

An unmissable tool for your creativity

After searching for alternatives to expensive softwares i stumbled on Pixelmator and discovered this software offers the same features as all the major "classic design softwares". The first few days i learned quickly how to use it as it is very intuitive, and tons of tutorials are available. For quick photo editing, and even to create new layouts, or anything visual, Pixelmator has become an unmissable tool in my creative arsenal.

Pros

The quick colour selection is truly accurate, and the pallet of tools is extremely wide. It offers tons of different possibilities to edit a picture or create a new visual in a few minutes.

Cons

The brushes require a little bit of training if you only use a mousepad, but other than that nothing too complicated.

Jason B.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Lots of features for a very low price

Pixelmator Pro has been an excellent investment for my company. We work with outside agencies, so we didn't need the most expensive software for serious design work. We needed an easy to use image editor for quick changes, image cleanup, and simple editing and cropping. Pixelmator Pro gave us that and a lot more for a very low price. Seriously, this software can do 95% of what the highest end image editors can do, and the developers have added new features on a regular basis. If you are coming from another image editor, you'll have to push yourself to learn Pixelmator as the interface is different (but not worse) from other editors I have used. There's a great support community, and I've been able to learn the ropes quickly to turn out professional-looking images in no time.

Pros

Many features comparable to other image editing software. Developers are continually adding new features. Leverages Mac hardware and OS really well. Low price for such a full-featured product.

Cons

Still missing some key features compared to competing programs or software suites. Can't import/rasterize vector files. If you've used other image editing software, the learning curve can be pretty steep.

Eduardo G.

Photography, 11-50 employees

Awesome design & photo editor tool!

Beyond the photo editing features Pixelmator Pro has everything! You can find a great UX a faster rendering techniques for special effects and the fx gallery simplifies the job.

Pros

It's a great alternative for basic photo editing! You can find a lot of useful tools and it has a great intelligence behind each one, when you interact with each tool the options adapts to clean the space and focus on your next move. It has great control so you'll find the layer panels, typography options and styles easily.

Cons

Although it has an amazing and intuitive UX, it’s very different from the previous Pixelmator version.

BB

Bohumil B.

Airlines/Aviation, 51-200 employees

Great value for money

Incredible value for the money and the software is really powerful.

Pros

All the features are not too far from what you can do with other much more expensive softwares.

Cons

I wish tutorials have been even more accesible.

Edgar G.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Intuitive tool for graphic designers

It makes easy to design and edit photos for social media and other projects in a fast way.

Pros

Mac environment compatibility and intuitive interface.

Cons

It would be better to open all kind of projects from other design platforms.

Music, self-employed

Pixelmator Pro Gets Amazing Results

Overall, the experience with Pixelmator Pro has been extremely positive. It is currently my go-to software for photo and image editing. With the super-resolution feature, I can be sure that my images will print at premium quality and that enlarging the photo will not result in blurriness.

Pros

Pixelmator Pro is simple and easy to use, with amazing functionality. The super-resolution feature is a game-changer and allows for resizing images without loss of quality or a pixelated look. There are several awesome presets to choose from, and the graph where you can change or saturate only certain colors in an image is truly amazing. Another game-changing feature is the ability to add text that will not get blurry at larger sizes. There is the ability to export in .PNG and switch from .JPEG to .PNG which is really helpful.

Cons

Pixelmator Pro is amazing, however there are certain aspects of using the software that are frustrating. There is no native way to add highlighted text to images without creating workarounds. Since highlighted text is critical to everything from creating YouTube thumbnails, posters, invitations and graphic art, etc, this is a really frustrating aspect of using the software. There also is a very annoying glitch / bug, where anytime you want to edit text, you need to minimize the window in order for the text to edit properly. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. Other than that, my experience using Pixelmator Pro has been very positive.

CH

Cyiza H.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Best and advanced photo editing software for Mac and iPhone users.

Good experience exceeding my expectations.

Pros

Intuitive interface especially in updated Pixelmator Pro Odasa version. This version has undergone some retouching that makes the whole software superior to Photoshop in any way possible. The app is super fast, high quality with minimal steps to achieve high quality edited photos or graphics. I's well integrated with other Apple applications or OS to work together smoothly. Fairly priced too with one time fee unlike Adobe apps that will keep weakening your pocket.

Cons

Doesn't support other operating systems except MacOS, iOS and iPadOS.

DC

David C.

Security and Investigations, 1-10 employees

Best Editor

Pixelmator Pro has been a great business tool. I've made thank you cards, invitations, business cards, t-shirt designs, and such. All were stunning and exceeded my expectations.

Pros

Pixelmator Pro is one of, if not the best editor in this price range. Free trial, goes on sale a few times each year as well. Aside from the standard features in an editor, it has templates and mockups, video layer support, motion document support, vector images, and RAW editing,

Cons

It does have limitations, It is not an expensive top shelf editor. Pixelmator Pro's developers don't seem to be sitting on their thumbs though, updates are released. The problem I have with it is the absence of an android or windows app. They're missing out on a large customer base...

KC

Kevin C.

Media Production, 201-500 employees

Solid go-to graphics app for Mac

I use this from everything to creating graphic images to converting and resizing images for web use. Its png files work for our lower-thirds, and it makes pretty light-weight jpgs for web pages.

Pros

I like the interface a lot. The basic tools are listed out on the editing page instead of on arrangeable windows. It has most of the tools you'd find in Photoshop, but for a fraction of the price. And you don't have to rent it.

Cons

I do wish that I could merge photos for HDR, but I bought a stand-alone program to do that, and it's still way cheaper than Photoshop.

Purchased Myself To Make My Work Life Easier

I purchased the upgrade from the original to receive the new layer and attached editing tabs to make editing even easier than it was before. I'm happy I did. Pixelmator got even easier to use and additional effects like ML enhanced resolution even add to the value of this program. Stellar purchase.

Pros

As one who creates viral content, full of text and images, it is essential that I have a powerful yet quick to use photo editor. Upon investing in the original Pixelmator, I was impressed with the Layer levels and attached toolbar in the pro version of the app. Like the original, Pixelmator Pro is easily my most used image-creation and editing app when putting content together in Wordpress. I'm able to resize, scale, add layers of UI effects, add text, and finally export in a matter of seconds or minutes.

Cons

With all the benefits that the Pro version of Pixelmator has to offer, I am seldomly annoyed by the selection and deselect element tool. Even if I have switched to another tool, I am forced to go back to the selection tool, only to deselect the current element before moving on. Also, some tools create different intended effects on a task that has to be split up into several pieces due to other pieces intruding on the piece in question.

Internet, 51-200 employees

Bye bye Photoshop. Hellooooo Pixelmator

Honestly, a joy. If you're looking for an alternative to Photoshop, Pixelmator is a no brainer.

Pros

Pixelmator is functional across macOS and iOS. It has most of the functionality of photoshop (at a serious fraction of the cost) but retains accessible and easy access to tools and discoverability.

Cons

Pixelmator Pro is a Pro app, so this is almost a moot point however the UI could be a little more accessible and discoverable. Some tools are offer the same functionality in Pro and the consumer version however are much more difficult to operate in Pro.

Jonathan A.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

My Pixelmator Pro

Excellent. It's the only graphics software that I use.

Pros

What drew me to Pixelmator Pro was how easy it was to use. I'm not a hard core graphics designer or anything but it gets the job done. I use it to create graphics mostly, as well as assets to be used in graphics. I've even used it to do floor layout, labels, designs for stamps and charts. Hence, it has a wide range of case uses. The application is feature rich, everything is labelled and right within reach. I love the tab feature which allows me to work on different projects at the same time all in one place.

Cons

Some features require the use of tutorials, but the learning curve is not steep but does take some patience and practice.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Pixelmator Pro is a top notch choice to replace Photoshop

Pixelmator Pro is pretty much the only image editor that I find myself using on a daily basis, I couldn't imagine life without it and it's so reasonable priced (in fact, almost too cheap).

Pros

The ease of use in getting simple tasks completed is my favorite Pixelmator Pro feature. I am able to perform professional looking editing on images in just a few clicks.

Cons

Some of the features are buried/hidden in the software and until you find it on the Internet/Tutorial, you would have never known how easy it was to perform the task.

Stephen B.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Pixelmator Pro for the Everyday User

Pixelmator Pro is my go to tool for editing photos and making graphics. It is easy to use and now that it uses Apple's Metal, it can do a lot of the initial leg work when it comes to editing, for you! Pixelmator Pro has great use of layers, editing of colors, and cropping images.

Pros

Compared to other pro level photo editing tools, Pixelmator is a powerful tool and super easy to use!

Cons

For the money, Pixelmator Pro has all of the main features you may need, but it doesn't have the same depth of resources (built in presets) that other high end photo editing tools have.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Hands down the best image editing software on the market

Everyone should have this image editor in their toolkit, at the price point, there's no reason not to.

Pros

The price point and the vast array of features make this software the best image editing tool on the market, even better than Photoshop!

Cons

Nothing. I love everything about Pixelmator. My only wish is that the developers released more frequent updates with super cool features that they're known for.

EO

Eduardo O.

Online Media, self-employed

Great MAC APP

I used this software on a daily basis for my podcast art works and other social media posts. I'm not a professional photographers, and when I started using the app a was a rookie in the image editing world. At least I feel very confident now with the results I'm getting while using the app.

Pros

Easy to use Features Quality Export options

Cons

Expensive Only for MAC users Implementation of new features take some time

LM

Lee M.

Used to be good

As it's a one-time purchase product, it's definitely worth having in your toolkit, but it's been overshadowed by Canva in recent years.

Pros

This was my main design tool for a few years and Ioved how it was like Photoshop, but much simpler. I especially liked toe colour picker tool and being able to resize easily.

Cons

Lack of tools and Canva overtook them with stock images and design features. But there are still some things I use it for. I like the rulers and gridlines on the canvas, and you save as .psd files. You can't on Canva.

JZ

Jacob Z.

Internet, 1-10 employees

avis pixelmator pro

Pros

mon utilisation de ce logiciel date des annees il est efficasse pour l'ajout d'effect aux photos

Cons

je trouve un peu cher rapport qualite prix

Showing original review in French. See translation

AP

Aaron P.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Fantastic photo editing software that gives Photoshop a run for its money

Depending on your needs, Pixelmator Pro can easily be used as a Photoshop replacement. While it lacks some of the more advanced editing and features of Photoshop, it's easy of use and great price make it a fantastic tool.

Pros

Pixelmator Pro is both powerful and easy to use. There are a number of built-in adjustments that use machine learning to automatically choose the best settings, and the vast majority of the time the ML algorithms make good choices. The price is also outstanding for the feature set.

Cons

Pixelmator Pro is simply not as powerful or feature rich as Adobe Photoshop.

TS

Tessa S.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

I make everything in pixelmator

Still prefer it over photoshop even now I have both!

Pros

I love how easy it is to use even without knowledge of the software.

Cons

There is one feature which is missing: for making my drawings into digital transparants. Therefore I still have to use photoshop.