B2W Estimate

Heavy civil construction estimating software for contractors

B2W Estimate Reviews

Pros

The ability to customize the product for our needs and the willingness of the B2W employees to help with it. Also the tracking and reporting we can get from it.

JC

John C.

The product is user friendly. My rep was wonderful in helping us set it up and to troubleshoot.

SM

Sue M.

Overall a great experience. Enjoyed the interactive classes and found it very helpful.

KS

Karrie S.

Cons

A more troubling problem was the increasing disparity in spreadsheets from different estimators.

MH

Mark H.

One problem we come across when using B2W is if you accidently change a production rate or cost, there is no back button to undo the error.

SK

Shakotah K.

JD

James D.

Solid tool with an ever growing list of valuable features

We are able to drive our goal of industry leader with the tools being afforded to us by B2W. We find new ways of use daily, we are able to get information to our field personnel quickly. Responding in minuets to issues not days and weeks. it is a platform we plan on building upon aggressively for a long time.

Pros

I truly appreciate the integration among the entire product line. It truly streamlines our approach to doing business

Cons

While I enjoy the integration, I do feel it could be better, the limited functionality of certain parts of the programs limit its full potential.

CB, Inc. - B2W Estimate Overview

We went from Excel/ Pen and paper to using a standardized database that will integrate with out new Viewpoint Vista Accounting package.

Pros

Best ease of use cost to price Construction Estimating Product out there. Best bang for the buck. If familiar with cost coding, production rates, cost to price estimating; the setup and go live can be achieved in a relatively short time span. Being able to have a standard with the entire team (Estimating, Project Management, Accounting, & Field personnel) is worth the purchase alone.

Cons

MSA and Blanket contracts are challenging to build in Estimate.

B2W is Great

B2W is great, and has saved us time and allowed us to bid more projects, thus making more money each year. It also helps a new hire or intern understand the construction process by showing labor and equipment for each task.

Pros

Setting up and bidding a project is much easier now that we have B2W. Before we used spreadsheets with formulas to calculate production and pricing. B2W does all of that for us, especially when your resources are set up correctly to your needs. I can auto populate items with tasks that have all formulas built in, so all I need is the takeoff area or volume. Setting bond, profit, overhead and labor burden is a breeze with B2W.

Cons

Integrating with Spectrum accounting software is still a bit of a challenge. We have to export to excel and spend about an hour or two to prepare a budget so it will upload correctly.

Potential is there

Pros

The best thing about B2W is how the different modules communicate with each other. Estimating flows into Track and Schedule to reduce redundancy.

Cons

There is a long learning curve to adapt to using this product. Setup is seemingly easy until it creates problems later and you have to start over. Not enough training is provided with the product and the charges incurred for additional training and setup is painful.

Highly Recommended

Saving time and increasing accuracy is the best way to describe B2W.

Pros

The best part of the program is that it speeds up the bidding process and increased bidding accuracy and consistency. With that said, it allows us to bid more projects and obtain more work.

Cons

In the subcontractor management and comparing self performed vs subcontracted, it would be a vast improvement if overhead and profit were added to the self performed option.

Estimate Review

Overall it has been a great experience. In the end it is up to the user to determine how much that they want to get out of the system . You get what you put into it (if you put in a lot of time and effort your results should be great).

Pros

Usability and user friendly. Easy for new employees to pick up. Security - we have the ability to allow user different levels of access. Also, integrates well with our accounting system.

Cons

Takes a lot of time and effort to get the system up and running. Have had some issues with mapping to our accounting system.

Pros & Cons of the B2W Estimate Software

We are solving every estimator utilizing company wide set parameters for labor cost versus the old method of each estimator generating what they believed to be the overall burden cost for internal labor. It also helps create historical cost for ease of reference for future projects.

Pros

The features that I like the most are the ease to create task templates and save them for later recall and use in different bids. These helps cut down on the time needed to put together an estimate / pricing for a project enabling you to bid more projects.

Cons

When a user is just starting to utilize the software it can be a little intimidating since there are so many options and features to customize your estimate. The very specific detail for a new user would be the biggest draw back that I could see but it is easily overcome by time using the software, as well as, the additional help provided by B2W.

Continues to perform as expected. Easy to navigate around after becoming familiar with interface.

Standardized bidding and job set up process across the company. Also provides place for easy review of bids at all levels of management in various locations across the group of companies.

Pros

Level of control over all aspects of the bids. Also the ability to break down information in various formats for easy review and analysis. Conditional formatting allows to catch anything that may be an issue at a quick glance. Numerous reports built in to cover a lot of aspects of the bids.

Cons

Inability to create custom reports in house. Also with concurrent licenses not having the ability to pull a license back from a user has been a challenge. The user may have remained logged in even though they are not using the software preventing others ability to access.

B2W Drives our Business

I have used several other software platforms and always go back to B2W for its user friendly package and customer support.

Pros

B2W provides real time cost and equipment resources that benefit our company daily. It is very easy to use and helps control our costs.

Cons

I would like to have the option of dictating the exact price of an estimate.

review

it is a lot faster and is really a great software

Pros

it is a lot easier getting a quote together

Cons

some of the function, not being able to manipulate the software in certain circumstances, and not being able to delete things

This reviewer only left a rating

About a year ago, our company was still estimating with spreadsheets. Our system was effective for acquiring work, but didn't really allow for much integration with scheduling, project management, or accounting software. We also had problems with collaboration between estimators on a single estimate. Limitations with spreadsheets forced us to occasionally create multiple estimating files in order to...

Bid2Win Estimating Software User Review

Having used multiple estimating packages including Harddollar, HCS, Success, MCACES, and MCII, this program is by far the most user-friendly and feature-rich system in the commercial marketplace today, in my opinion. Additionally, the Bid2Win Software Engineers are eager to hear of user-identified feature requests and incorporate them into the software as new feature updates. We have used the system for 10 years, now, and have been very satisfied with the stability, speed, ease of use, minimal learning curve, and scalability of the program. I would give the software a 9.2 out of 10 and would raise the rating to 9.8 out of 10 if the Cons posted above were addressed.

Pros

Our company is a heavy/highway general contractor that self-performs removals, earthwork, bridges and retaining walls, underground utilities, asphalt paving and concrete paving. We investigated other options prior to commiting to the purchase of Bid2Win, choosing it because of its intuitive, tabbed user-interface and the ability to construct reusable task templates for any kind of work imaginable....

Cons

- Weak export of costs and resources to Critical Path Method scheduling software (i.e. Export to Microsoft Project, not Primavera) - Only basic implementation of Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) subcontractor assignments (still requires additional spreadsheet work outside of the program to get a complete analysis of DBE participation)

Because I'm happy...

Pros

First, I like how responsive this vendor is towards user concerns and input towards a better product. Each employee is very willing to help and answer questions, or record any input to be evaluated for future updates. Second, I like how much this product continues to evolve. When I started using the software three years ago, I only used the estimate portion. Now we have evolved to using it for job cost tracking, dispatch, forms, etc., it is much more convenient being able to use one software to handle a lot of our needs.

Cons

The only thing I do not like is not having an "undo" button, one like those seen on the Microsoft office softwares. I greatly appreciate the recycle bin feature to help restore items that I've deleted, but I also make many small mistakes or changes that I would easily like to undo.

This reviewer only left a rating

Romero is a certified SDB General Construction Corp. specializing in: design-build, general contracting, fine grading, aggregate placement, asphalt paving, concrete paving, curb & flatwork, aggregate crushing/recycling, based in the northern San Diego, California area. Prior to BID2WIN we were using customized Excel spreadsheets on an ad hoc basis. What compelled us to switch to BID2WIN was the...

RGT Clouthier LTD

Fantastic!

Pros

User friendly, as long as your costs etc. are constantly updated

Cons

An undo button would be great! Also, a trucking global edit would be extremely helpful.

B2W Estimate

Pros

Custom Reporting feature made it possible to customize the reporting and views to the old way we were used to seeing it. It does a really good job of computing all the numbers in a bid item fashion. Tons of ways you can tackle different tasks or multiple items within one parent bid item, phases, alternates, etc. The subcontractor compare tab is a great way to compare item by item, apples to apples of multiple sub quotes. Then with a click of a button it will push them in to your actual bid. Huge time saver!

Cons

Sometimes on larger bids with hundreds of bid items that are very complex it seems to have a slight lag when doing data entry. That could also be part technical on our side as well. But I need to address this. I guess I'm always shooting for "Very Efficient" in everything I do.

Makes closing a tender a breeze.

Increased success in obtaining work and peace of mind.

Pros

The flexibility. I have three estimators who utilize the functionality that allow them to work in their own unique ways. It's intuitive, uses windows-like logic. The 'crew based', subcontractor based, vendor based, systems allows for quick tendering.

Cons

The system requires annual maintenance fees that are somewhat costly. I am utilizing the system to the maximum amount of users (paid for) and would have pay more if I were to add more users.

Great Estimating Software

This is a great program for estimating. It can be customized with activities, crews, etc that can be used over and over. Bids can be shared in real time among multiple users. It also exports into multiple programs (Excel, Viewpoint) which makes the transition into a project easier.

Pros

It takes time to build activities and crews, but once done, they can be copied with no effort. There's multiple reports (material, labor, equipment) that is really helpful if the bid is successful. There is effort to learn the software, but it is straight forward. There are simple but effective features like the subcontractor and vendor management that allows you to create groups that then apply throughout the bid - for example, you can make a subcontractor group for concrete and enter the separate contractors and pricing. Choosing a contractor in this group then applies to all concrete items throughout the bid. It makes the work easier, but also helps to avoid missing an item.

Cons

The program automatically saves and there is no undo button, so make sure you think of this ahead of time.

Cougar Companies Review of B2W Estimate

We are creating a seem less database for any estimator to use. The ease of learning this program from scratch is a lot easier now than when I started 15 years ago. The estimators I train now pick this up in about 1 week.

Pros

Reviewing Vendors and subs side by side for comparison is great. It is amazing how quick an estimate can be completed accurately. The initial set up is time consuming but well worth the cost.

Cons

An automatic schedule builder in Estimate for the customer.

I am new to the product, but it seems like a good software program.

It's easy to use as an estimator.

Pros

Ease of use and functionality. I like the various windows for different functions, and the icons are getting better to differentiate various functions. I do like how I am able to have many number of tasks in a tree, in lieu of only having the ability to have 3 or 4 tasks per item.

Cons

Lacks some features I am used to. I am not a huge fan of the different reports, but we are working with B2W about customizing various reports to suit our company needs. I am also not a fan of how slow the inputs can be. We are working off an off-site server, and sometimes in can bog down.

Experience using B2W has been phenomenal and useful.

I am able to easily and effectively perform my job as an estimator.

Pros

B2W ease of use and ability to update costing on materials, labour and equipment simply. The Item history lookup option on an item is an effective tool.

Cons

It's in ability to create phases within phases on B2W estimate. When it crashes it crashes numerous times that day. Does not happen very often, but when it does, it does not simply crash one time.

B2W is very professional and customer focused, and the software is robust and easy to use, although it is still a legacy product in many ways.

I think it is the best available estimating software for site work contractors (although any contractor or subcontractor can use it). It can handle very large projects and has many elements that make it so useful, especially for Unit Price projects. It is clean and simple to use considering how robust it is. Adding some workflows, checklists, custom fields and making it web-based eventually would be great.

Pros

Easy to learn Logical process flow for the most part Stable Saves time once you get some data accumulated RFQ module works well

Cons

Not as "smart" as I hoped (e.g., work flows, checklists, custom fields, etc) Not web-based Lots of mouse clicks required Legacy elements (e.g., search functions not as robust as modern web-based software)

Bid2Win Construction Estimating Software

Highly recommended.

Pros

With the Enterprise version, the software has the ability to utilize multiple databases for use with multiple companies, yet be maintained from a central location. Within the Sherwood organization, we have eight companies; each with their own location, identity, resources, wage schedules, equipment rates, etc. The system's flexibility, ease of use, and multiple database capabilities were exatcly what...

Cons

There aren't any cons that I can think of. After using the system for four months, I have only called tech support once. It was for something that I could have taken care of with another few minutes of thinking. If you pay attention during the training and are somewhat computer literate, the systems intuitiveness takes care of the rest.,

An in depth software geared towards professional construction

Pros

Estimate provides multiple levels of items and tasks, including labor, materials and trucking. This makes it extremely simple as a business to break down all of your costs and make sure you are pricing out jobs accordingly.

Cons

The method of emailing an estimate recently changed and now does not allow you to copy other employees.

Good but limited program.

The customization options for B2W is awesome. We have made templates for certain tasks and loved that we could reuse them for other tasks. However, when you mess up, you have to redo the whole thing since there is no undo button. We have the maximum number of users for the base level but are reluctant to add more due to cost.

Pros

The ability to reuse the templates for multiple tasks is very handy and we love the customization options available. The user interface is very user-friendly and when we have needed help, the customer support was easy to contact and was very helpful.

Cons

There are some aspects of the program that has limited functionality. There’s been a few times where we needed to find a workaround for a certain task. I also wish the program was a buy-once type program, as the annual fees get to be a bit much sometimes. Having an undo button would also make life a lot easier.