Cash Register Express Logo

Cash Register Express

Point of sale software for retail businesses

Cash Register Express Reviews

3.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend6.4/10

Reviews by rating

I like the quality, value, brand, and guarantee. It's excellent, fast, simple, and easy to use.
I originally purchased this because they had an abundance of online supporting documents and videos and for someone like myself that is going to maintain the system them self this was important.
We were advised to upgrade our pin-pad to the new standards. Waited until the end of the tourist season to upgrade, and then things went to hell in a hand-basket.
No error code it just will not start. I called PC America and they said it was just a coincidence (it happens he said) we don’t turn off your system because of nonpayment for support.

KM

Kyle M.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Cash Register Express from a 20 Year Reseller

We've been selling this software (and many others) to cater to our retail clients and it is by far my favorite. If you have a retail business, and you don't want to ever question the capabilities of your POS software while also having the peace of mind that you're not over paying, pcAmerica's Cash Register Express (CRE) is everything you need. We offer a free buyers guide that will compare this software against many others, feel free to visit our website at any time so we can give you a tour!

Pros

-Easy to Use -Feature for Everything -Best Value (Other companies charge more for same features) -Supports Multiple Stores -Supports MANY Payment Processors -Supports Excel Import -Supports Hardware from all Industries (Under the counter scanner scales (as seen in grocery stores), Coin Dispensers, Caller ID, etc.)

Cons

-Not Supported on Android / iOS / Mac OS -Requires Intermediate windows knowledge for setup. -Does not have the best cloud integration.

MJ

Melissa J.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Perfect for Liquor Stores

Pros

Cash register express has over 75 different reports that are available to view or print. This software is compatible with a large variety of credit card processors and equipment options to ensure compliant and secure processing. Great added feature such as card swipes for employee login, handheld scanner for efficient inventory management, scheduling features for your staff and plenty other funtions that will help reduce labor hours spent on payroll, consolidation and employee hours.

Cons

Cash register express has amazing functionality, but that can come at a high price. This is a PC based software solution, so depending on the size of your business or the number of pos stations needed, the initial cost may be significant. Some features such as 24/7 customer support and customized reports come at an extra charge as well. Since this software is so detailed, some functions such as inventory can become cumbersome and involve significant time to setup.

MH

Michael H.

Used other for 6-12 months

Complete wast of time & money.

I am the manager of Marshalls Creek Plumbing Supplies in Pa and we 1st purchased Cash Register Express from a PC America sales back in 2012. With this purchase were spec that inventory would be able to support scanners. Pc America sold use a Honeywell scanner and then after several months they (PC America) could not get it to work with their program. Several other problem came up and then we got a...

Pros

It seem to be easy to load in our inventory through Excel. The stations communicate with the main station very well.

Cons

No support, repeat no support. We were just loading in our inventory no sales yet. Support payment came due while owner on vacation & upon the email for the 2nd notice they system will not boot up. No error code it just will not start. PC America told us to By the support & we will be back up today. We purchase the software complete but they can still shut it down to blackmail you into paying more money.

BS

Brenda S.

Museums and Institutions, 1-10 employees

Administrative Assistant

It is better than what we had, it has it's pro's and con's but all in all, it is a great addition to our Museum Store and Admissions.

Pros

I like that it collects information about our attendance and makes it really easy to run reports so that we can find out how many people visited a certain exhibit

Cons

We could not get a report that tells us how many visitors from different states and countries. It would really be nice to have something like that to refer to.

TK

Tilku K.

Restaurant ProExpress

Pros

The product is Easy to use, easy to set up, it has modifier groups, and it has a good detailed daily reports

Cons

Limited settings options such as printer setup, limited reporting, can't work if main PC is down, and poor customer service

PN

Peter N.

Supermarkets, 1-10 employees

Upgrades and

After conducting a lot of research, we decided to go with PC America Cash Register Express (CRE) when we opened our small grocery store in 2013. Set-up was easy the tech-support folks from POS Nation. We ran with a server, 2 touch screens, card swipe and pin pads, one scale, thermal printers, USB and Bluetooth scanners, and a customer display pole. Everything was fine for the first 2 years until...

Pros

The software is stable in the sense that it has only crashed 2 - 3 times over the course of 4 years.

Cons

See above... Menus are NOT user-friendly. Upgrades are obviously NOT tested. Incompatible with many peripherals, and they try to force you into their hardware, which in turn forces you to their payment processor. Tech support is lacking since I purchased from a hardware provider, and PCA forces me to go through the middle-man.

JD

John D.

PC America - Great for 1 location and if you're on a budget

We moved on to Retail pro V9 after we opened our second store. Although we considered Counterpoint and Retail Edge as well.

Pros

Cheap Software and easy to use for someone not super techy. Good for a 1 location store that doesn't plan on expansion. Integrated well with Nitrosell. Nitrosell's back end made this lame software a bit more robust.

Cons

Software Database is basic, there is very low functionality with the software (you'll understand if you spend a couple months researching POS Software), and software is not expandable past 1 location even though they sell it like it is.

SP

Sam P.

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

POS software review

Pros

Fairly easy and intuitive for our front line staff to use and understand. We have had the CRE for a few years now and meets most of our needs.

Cons

With the Pro version, we were not able to have both of our locations communicate with each other. We are hopeful an upgrade to Enterprise will make a difference.

CS

Christine S.

Building Materials, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

A good starter POS system for beginners

Pros

Very Easy to use Most Transactions work seamlessly Good system for those just starting out with a POS system

Cons

Not able to customize statements for accounts Sometimes puts weird numbers in the end of the day reports Does not warn you to open shift if you pull up an on hold

RC

Roberto C.

Decent POS

Pros

Decent POS for beginers. Easey to use. Simple and straight forward, not too much clutter. Goog for firsy time users of POS systems

Cons

No good product support at all. Not at all....... Limited additional functions, like printing and custumized reports

JC

John C.

Supermarkets, 11-50 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Worst POS on the Market

If you decide to purchase this software, you are in for long hours on hold with customer support and so many issues that you will wish you had never heard of PCAmerica.

Pros

GUI is nice and seems easy to use. Large buttons make it easy for employees to see and navigate the software.

Cons

Where to start... Quickbooks integration is a joke. You have to be in itemized transactions for the POS to adjust inventory. That means that EVERY single sale is entered into QB individually instead of entered as one line item for the day and inventory adjusted in bulk. I know they could do it because the end of day report has the inventory grouped together. If you use the handheld device for purchase...

DS

Deborah S.

Program and billing

I have learned to work with the little hiccups that I have come across using the program.

Pros

It is very easy to set up a customer in the system. It is also very easy to find them. I also like that when I pull up a customer I can see what they owe us with out having to search.

Cons

I do no like the fact that when I apply a payment to a customers account, I am unable to print a second receipt. This has caused some problems. Would love to be able to cancel the payment, which you can't do. You must refund it, which can cause problems with the accounting end.

Thank you for the review, Deborah! We're happy that you're comfortable working with the system.

HW

Holly W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Would not recommend!

We have had this program for 7 months. I do not even know where to start. Call support and they can't help you with the program you PAID for, you will be referred to a field tech to come out and charge you more for help. Endless excuse for money pit. Basically you will never be without a form of cost. You get a quick crash course and might as well spend your time training yourself online. If I wanted to be a support tech I would go to school for it! 1 week left and this program will be gone from my business!

Pros

The only part of this soft ware I like is the back end reporting portion allowing for quick break downs.

Cons

From a crash course in training, inaccurate inventory, making returns, correct size labels printing, the list goes on!

aa

abdullah a.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Bad customer service they dont know nothing about the system

bad software bad customer service bad treatment

Pros

we dont like the soware at all really bad software also get freeze most of the time also card reder fall most of the time

Cons

the don't answer you fast when you need help i dont recomnet them at all somtime dont ring the item correct

JB

Joe B.

Wine and Spirits,

Product is ok but lord help you if you need support

Pros

Software has nice features for a liquor store like age verification via scanning of drivers license. Nice granular permissions to enable you to give access to only what you want to to your team. Inventory controls are great.

Cons

Support!!!! Anytime you have an issue you end up on a call to a support desk in India. I do not have a problem with support desk being in India but the techs that you get are horrible. They are consistently speaking over you and instead of helping just want to prove you are an idiot in there eyes. They insist on the system and all users need to have administrator rights which is not secure. I fell like I have to fight to get anything fixed and leave the call felling frustrated and ready to give up and move to another vendor.

NM

Nikki M.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Made my life easier today

Pros

Easy to use and found it really easy to teach the basics to all our new employees. Everything is well organized and readily available with a click of a button. The tutorials online are a huge help on how to use and customer service is the best.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say, most of our problems are user mistakes. If we do have a problem we call our tech support and they help.

MM

Megan M.

PC America Has Lost It's Touch

I would never buy it again. I was a customer for 11 years. Very disappointed.

Pros

The cost used to be a pro. We just spent on an upgrade that did not fix any of our software problems.

Cons

PC America purposely makes you buy tech support for things that could easily be fixed by the user. You have to pay tech support to unlock a table for example.

SE

Serwa E.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Great Product!!

After months of using this software, I am more satisfied. It is a breeze to use and the manual is easy to follow. I enjoy the Youtube videos as well. I would definitely recommend this software program.

DJ

Dawn J.

Wine and Spirits, 1-10 employees

Pretty good

Pros

This is my first software so I don't know any others. Overall it seems to work well and easy to use.

Cons

The only training you get is when you call them, the booklet that came with it does not meet my needs

CB

Catherine B.

Restaurants,

Terrible Customer Service! Beware!

Pros

Used for 8 years...... Have been told it is not the worst system...

Cons

Customer service!! Service representatives in India on weekends and at night. TERRIBLE!!!

FK

Fuat K.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Slow but gets the job done.

Pros

It is a reliable system. In the 3 months i been using it, it has never crashed. It has some nice features.

Cons

The system works way too​ slow sometimes. Touch screen is not responsive enough. It has missing functions.

PC

Paul C.

Retail,

It's worth the price. I would suggest it to any business owner!

Pros

My account manager has been with me since day one. If I have a quick question, he is there. I may have to leave a voicemail; however, most of the time, I get a call back within minutes. Email is practically instant messaging.

Cons

The software is loaded with features, which makes it harder to navigate; however, you do get use to it after a few weeks.

CC

Chris C.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Decent but needs more flexibility

Overall system works well. Needs to allow more customization. Could be a little more user friendly on back of house.

JT

Jason T.

Retail,

We bought 3 POS stations from these guys!

Pros

Electronic Business Solutions were and still are extremely helpful when there is a problem or a question. Even after hours, they have folks there for support 24 hours a day/7 days a week. That goes a long way!

Cons

Probably the fact that it costs money. I guess I can't get it free, but it sure doesn't hurt to wish!

RB

Roberta B.

Supermarkets,

Cash register exlpress

Pros

Logical to learn and use. Easy product setup and reporting features

Cons

Editing payroll hours is illogical and cumbersome.