Dragging and dropping reports are easy - provided the requirements are easy. Star and Snowflake, import data or Live connect. There are easy ways and more complex ways to process data. Fantastic support and community. BQL (Think Birst Metadata SQL) is flexible and powerful. API is easy to use and can write scripts to automate common functions.
Troubleshooting Reports is made easier by a part of the Admin tool that lets you see the BQL and resulting SQL query. You can find the problems very easy.
This list is long, but not everything is a big problem, more an annoyance that makes what should be easy/common things difficult.
1. Copy/Paste of Objects is impossible. Imagine your dashboard, you create a button, get the shape exactly as you like it, set the shadow just right and are ready to use it. Now you need 5 more just like it. Unfortunately, you can't use Copy/Paste...you have to build EVERY object by hand from scratch. They do not allow you to pull the XML and do the copy/paste that way. It's not just the buttons, it is everything. It makes development take many times longer than it needs to be.
2. Dashboards can be copied, but it will not also copy the embedded reports. You need to make copies of the reports separately and then manually associate them with the copied Dashboard. Again, this copy/paste is BASIC functionality simply not available in Birst.
3. They still use FLASH for the Admin screens - this includes the data model. Also, only one person can be in the admin tool at a time. If you need to make changes to the data model and do some work on user security and add some custom subject areas, you need to make 3 copies of the space and so the work separately, then use the commands like the one below in order to copy your work to another space. It is not intuitive and it is easy to use the wrong variable and overwrite all the work someone else was doing.
copyspace 7e32c981-9c92-4ee7-9a3b-a396017a531f 3cfbdcfe-6675-4b24-8e72-ef930c799e90 copy spacesettings.xml;settings-basic;settings-membership;settings-permissions;color-palettes;custom-subject-areas;SavedExpressions.xml;DrillMaps.xml;dashboardstyles;connectors
4. Some admin functions are incompatible with each other, but there is no way to know that outside of breaking your environment and then being told not to do that in the future. There is no way a casual user can use the Admin tool. It takes extensive training. For instance, you cant use the GUI Data Model (Data Flow) creator and refine it with the "Manage Sources" admin screen. That will break the space without throwing an error. You have to use the "Manage Local Sources" screen when using the Data Flow GUI. It can get very confusing especially for new users.
5. Sometimes you can pinpoint a HEX Color, in other cases, you have only a choice between 5 predetermined colors. Sometimes you have a choice of 5 fonts, in others you only have an opportunity to make the predetermined font larger or smaller. Most times, your options are so limited, it is better to turn the function off.
6. To go along with 5, you do have the option to use Designer that gives you a pixel perfect layout, but it still has significant limitations and requires extensive training.
7. If you have requirements for ADA approved readability, you will not be able to have nice looking reports because the fonts are Small/Med/Large and everything will have scrollbars, etc.