All categories

ProWritingAid Reviews

Pros

I like that it helps make my writing come across better. I am not the best writer and ProWritingAid is better than gram... in usability and the information it provides.

Robert E.

It's so comprehensive and I can't wait until I can save up the money to buy the program. I recommended it to my girls to help them with school papers because I found it so helpful for my own writing.

Melody K.

This company also has excellent customer service and continues to improve and add to the software. They also have an option for an extremely affordable lifetime purchase.

Daniele J.

Cons

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about this software. It might irritate to have the errors exposed so often.

Brian W.

Missed too many mistakes. It always suggests very simple things that need to be corrected.

Kevin S.

It didn't have sentence re-phraser, which is required a lot specially for bloggers. Also, there is no Android app available.

Surya P.

Great features for the busy writer

Transcript

Chris T.: Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a Content Strategist. I work in the healthcare industry. I give ProWritingAid...

Must have if you are a writer

I'm using this tool mostly when I'm writing posts for my personal blog. It helps me to do all kinds of analysis over my text and make it better. Although, it is good for every day usage, when it highlights common errors in real-time.

Pros

It has a simple to use widget that can highlight your grammatic errors in real time. Though, when you want to open a detailed view, you can do that by tapping on the widget and it will open a full-featured editor with a lot of data about your writing.

Cons

Sometimes, the widget does not work for some of the text editors on websites. Hell, it even didn't work on the website where I'm writing the review now.

The best software of its kind

I personally find the Grammar and Spelling filters on the ProWritingAid checker to be most relevant to my personal needs. I would love to see ProWritingAid keep expanding and refining those particular checks! Right now, I feel that the software focuses more on passive voice and optional stylistic refinements than necessary while failing to catch some fairly obvious typos, but I have confidence that the software will just keep improving over time.

Pros

As a full-time editor, I get the editing software question almost weekly. I like to think of editing software as Microsoft Word's spelling and grammar check on steroids—it's a very similar process, but much more thorough. ProWritingAid is a fantastic last line of defense against rogue typos and subtle style errors.

Cons

Many users don't understand that editing software can't be used as a substitute for human eyes on their manuscript. Accepting all of ProWritingAid's changes without reviewing them will result in a stilted, strange manuscript! Instead, for best results, review changes individually, evaluating whether you feel that each change is relevant and necessary for your manuscript. This is also a great way to identify areas for improvement in your writing and improve over time! I would love to see ProWritingAid one day check for errors while users type or underline errors within the body of a Word document (as they do on their online interface) but I understand that their MS Word integration is new and features along those lines may be coming in the future!

Great Tool for Extremely Short Texts, Monumental Fail Otherwise

Sharing my two cents about ProWritingAid that I purchased a lifetime licence for: If you're reviewing texts about 300 - 400 words in length at maximum, you'll be happy with the tool. Otherwise, it's not worth the money. If you need a short-term solution, then by all means go for it but don't pay a buck for actually using the SW. I've been using the Word add-on for over three months now and if you...

Pros

Totally intuitive. If you know anything about how English, grammar and vocabulary alike, finding your way through the options and how they work will be a breeze. No learning curve. The tool as well as the report are perfectly self-explanatory. Easy-to-use online interface.

Cons

Useless add-on when dealing with texts of 800+ words. Constant copy-pasting to and from the online interface wasting your time.

Accelerate your time to Edit with precision and accuracy

In addition to customizing software for clients, we also have to write copy- this has to be professionally done based on the client's specifications, and the turnaround time can be brutal. After a few too many problems with Grammarly, we decided to trial ProWritingAid. The depth of the reports, the speed of using the software, and the integrations sold it from that point.

Pros

ProWritingAid integrates easily with our workflow and software in order to speed up the editing process and introduce diversity in the copy, pointing out weaknesses that other software misses. The report that it produces of the writing is excellent, covering areas that were not in our standards.

Cons

In our business, we have to use many custom terms and company names. You can put these into your dictionary, but it is a more manual process than it should be. We were used to being able to import lists of common terms, but there was not an obvious way to do the same, and research into this did not prove fruitful in changing that.

I love ProWritingAid!

Easy to install, understand, and use. I recommend it to everyone I know.

Pros

It's fast, intuitive, and accurate. The lifetime subscription and frequent smart updates are great.

Cons

Some features available in Word are unavailable online.

ProWritingAid is beyond standards

I switch the software on for my first time and started diving into its multiple options. I have learned more things with ProWritingAid than sixteen years in the Public Educational System. Now, my essays are smooth, take less time to deliver my novels, and creative writing happens more often than ever.

Pros

ProWritingAid is a big deal. Think about a software able to change the way you work. Grammar corrections, all kinds of writing styles, complete informs, accurate feedback, comparative with writers and more I couldn't check.

Cons

Guys add [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in the comparison writers.

Easy

Great backup for editing

Pros

ProWriting has more features than similar products. Ease of use Facility on different platforms

Cons

It requires too much power and bandwidth

Best Grammar & Spelling Checker

My overall experience is very satisfactory as it provides all the essential features which are expected from a good grammar checker tool.

Pros

It is a good-looking Grammer and spelling checker with lifetime perpetual license option. Grammer checking and spellcheck feature is as good as its alternative in the market. It also provides the in-depth reports and analyses.

Cons

Very useful in all aspects

I haven't been using it long, but I have been using it daily.

Pros

The suggestions for flow of story or message. The suggestions that fit to what's on the page.

Cons

We need plug in for Chrome to open an new tab.

ProWritingAid is Amazing!

I have had to contact customer service twice. 1st time because of an email address error I made, second for a new promotional offer I received. Their customer service was fantastic! They responded rapidly, were friendly, polite and helpful, and resolved my issues! They even refunded what I paid initially to honor the new offer I received!

Pros

It is easy to use and has numerous, detailed reports available that help me improve my writing.

Cons

The only thing I would complain about is it seems very difficult to scroll down and view all reports. I'm not sure if it's a screen size issue.

Perfect Your Language Perfectly (but this program might tell you not to phrase it that way)

Writing is a process that requires many disciplines, from planning, to drafting, to editing. One component of that final phase is proofreading, which is essentially the wax to a washed car, if a car were a piece of writing (and a metaphor). Without a solid examination of the final product, statements become questions without notice? See what I did there. Okay, now see what I did there? Yes, knowing...

Pros

Besides the fact that it covers basic grammar checks like style, punctuation, and sentence construction, etc., it also checks for sentence length (for variety), clichés (because everyone says they’re bad for some reason), quotes and dialogue, telling versus showing, sensory language, and more. If you’ve ever needed a solid compass to see how ready you are to hit “publish” on your blog or Amazon KDP...

Cons

The amount of checks that ProWritingAid offers is not only its strength, but also, potentially, its downfall. To put it mildly, using ProWritingAid is a mental exercise that can sap your energy if you insist on using every feature for every instance. For example, I can spend anywhere from one to three hours examining a single piece of writing if I go through every category. By the end, I’m ready for...

ProWritingAid review. Notes from a small island (in the south pacific)

I've used the premium version for 18 months and have based my comments on my experience in that time. I use it both for work and for some of the creative writing I do. I'm a massive fan of using technology to improve how I work and ProWritingAid is right up there as one of the most useful tools I use. It makes a significant difference to how long it takes me to write a document. I write fewer iterations...

Pros

I like the fact that I can use it everywhere. It's available in Word, Chrome, and Google Docs. There's even a desktop application. I like the real-time checker that identifies the quick fixes. But the real value is in the deeper reports. Don't be put off by the number of them - my advice is to have find out which ones you find most useful. My favourites are: 1. Thesaurus report, which lets me quickly find better words to use. 2. Readability report, which focuses me on areas that I can improve. 3. Sticky sentences report, which helps me get straight to the point. Once you know which ones you use most, you can combine them (it's called a Combo report) and with one click, you've got detailed analysis of your writing.

Cons

All software has pros and cons. While ProWritignAid is no different, it is worth saying that they do seem focused on continual improvement. My main criticisms over the last 18 months have been: 1. No integration with Google Docs - this has now been released and works well. 2. It can be daunting how much it tells you about your writing but this is necessary - writing is complex. The more you use it, the better it gets. 3. When I was using the free version, the 500-word limit caught me out a few times. It's not an issue for any premium users, however.

A mixed bag

Overall, it's been a useful tool which has helped me improve my writing style. I try to find amusement in its bizarre, triggered reactions to individual words without considering context. For now, I'll continue to use it, but I can foresee a time when I feel I don't need it anymore - unless the improvements I've mentioned above get addressed.

Pros

It's a Microsoft Word plug-in, making it readily available whenever I'm working. The report descriptions are clear and concise, and the results are often helpful. The most useful reports are the Sticky Sentence Check (which helps me minimise fluffy writing), the Overused Words Check (which picks up the most common instances), and the Pronoun check (which helps me avoid excessive pronoun usage). Other reports (the Sentence Length and Dialogue Tags checks) offer useful information too, but they satisfy my interest in document statistics.

Cons

Three things stand out. 1. The Grammar Check for the Word plug-in doesn't have a user-custom dictionary. (Grammarly and Word both provide this feature.) Since I'm writing fantasy, the Grammar Check throws out an irritating stream of unrecognised words - which I've trained Grammarly and Word to accept. 2. The Grammar Check and Writing Style Check have a limited view of context, which often leads to...

Way better than Grammarly

ProWritingAid has helped reduce the time it takes to get from first to final draft by half. Our content and copy is written by many people, with all kinds of writing backgrounds. It used to be a chore to pinpoint typos and makes corrections. Now, after running a few reports and working through them, we get great, readable SEO content in a fraction of the time.

Pros

I love ProWritingAid because there are so many helpful reports that allow you to get as detailed as you want when editing. I use the summary, style and grammar reports all the time. When I'm working on a larger marketing piece, I use the readability, pacing and other reports to help tighten my writing up. I also love how well the software integrates with Microsoft Word and Google Chrome. And one of my all-time favorite features is the word explorer. It's helped me pick the perfect word or phrase on numerous occasions. It's also nice that it's regularly updated with new and improved features.

Cons

I wish there was a way to use this on a mobile device. I'm writing this review on my phone, and I feel like I'm flying blind with ProWritingAid there to let me know about spelling, grammar and readability mistakes. I'd never produce marketing material on my phone, but I certainly write enough emails that I want to look and read professional.

ProWritingAid is ideal for Professionals and Students alike

Not a bad thing to say about ProWritingAid thus far. It's inexpensive, and has helped tune my writing style so I'm faster and more confident about it. With all the tweaking options available (and plug-ability), you're almost never without it. That said, Grammarly has its purpose, and I'd perhaps consider keeping free Grammarly around for its browser-based tool. While I'd advocate using both, if only choosing one I'd opt for ProWritingAid.

Pros

I love how ProWritingAid plugs into MS Word and Scrivener, so both authors and other professionals can utilize the power of this service. The price is very affordable, and the features aren't matched by any competitors to my knowledge. It's great to also 'tune' PWA to your writing style, so it doesn't offer irrelevant suggestions. Another cool feature is Plagiarism checks, so if you hire blog content writers, you can check to see if their content is unique. The same is useful for students who want to check their work against internet sources.

Cons

While ProWritingAid is great, for some platforms that requires short snippets of content like e-commerce product pages, you may be better off with Grammarly. This is because PWA has more of a 'style' focus rather than 'grammar' focus. Perhaps the ultimate approach is to start with PWA to get your writing style mastered offline, then use Grammarly for browser-based usage when writing emails and short snippets of online content (to not get style suggestions where its superfluous).

ProWritingAid Will Make You More Than Pro Writer!

It helped me a great deal to improve my style. I initially used Grammarly and just of curiosity, I tried ProWritingAid -- only to learn that software can go beyond grammar and spelling. I feel like I grew as a writer by using ProWritingAid. However, it is a bit of pricey and perhaps some different grades/options can be introduced to satisfy variety of users.

Pros

ProWritingAid contains a number of features that will not only instantly correct and suggest alternative wording but that will gradually improve your overall writing skills. Unlike the popular competition, ProwritingAid has a more comprehensively take on writing, it goes beyond just correcting grammar and spelling but help you enhance your style as well. It provides a number of reports that can help you track the improvement of your writing skills. And of top of that, it works in Google Docs -- where all of my writing takes place. :)

Cons

It would be nice to have extensions for a variety of browsers, including Safari. But honestly, what I like the least about it is a price!

My school life and my writer life has never had it easier!

Pros

The readability checks along with the repeated word counter saves my papers and rough drafts and gives me a lot less work to do when I have to do hard edits.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like is that the plagiarism checks are limited. If anything, I would wish that paying customers can get a certain amount of checks every time they renew their license.

Great Choice for Secure and Smart Grammar Checking

It literally takes a couple of minutes to figure out the user-friendly tools and setting up reports to review your areas for improvement. The software is currently number one on my grammar checking software list because it does not simply focus on writing mistakes, but also the overall written quality. ProWritingAid ultimately creates a way for you to for you to develop your writing skills while providing a fresh, impacting, unique, and error-free output for readers to enjoy.

Pros

It is a friendly editing, style, and grammar checker software that contains most of the useful features you could want as a professional, newbie writer, or editor. Once you have begun to use it, it takes less than ten minutes to figure it out. The software is intuitive and the toolbar is quick to understand and informative about your errors. It can easily locate repetitiveness in sentences, which I really like. Additionally, writers will be happy to know that Google Docs and Scrivener can be combined with ProWritingAid, which makes it a very convenient-to-use checker. I love that it is inexpensive and costs less than a hundred dollars for an annual subscription compared to other types of grammar software.

Cons

There are a couple of minor downsides like being unable to make corrections when it comes to writing with textboxes online; this feature would have been handy. Second, the software has no extensions available for iOS, Firefox, or Safari integration. LaTex, a popular document preparation system, is also unfriendly with the software. Lastly, Mac users cannot use the software because there is currently no available plugin for Microsoft Word. The advantages weigh out the inconveniences overall and it will only affect you if you are particular about integrating it with other tools.

The Best Writing Aid

While I am very keen at spotting other people's writing errors, I cannot spot my own unless it is too late, I either printed a document, published a blog or sent an email. It is embarrassing having the reader focused on spelling or grammatical errors, rather than getting your point across in communication. ProWritingAid prevents these mishaps with its add-ons for essential applications like Chrome or Google Docs.

Pros

One may think a professional writer with a degree in English would not need any piece of software to help with correcting and editing documents... Which would be true, unless that writer is not an absent-minded individual like myself. And here is where ProWritingAid really comes in handy. This wonderful tool keeps my writing in check with suggestions on spelling, grammar and style. I like it not taking over my documents and changing them without my input, like a spellchecker would normally do. ProWritingAid lets me choose and be in control.

Cons

No add-ons for MS Word alternatives like WPS Office or Open Office.

Only Praise for Pro Writing Aid.

My emails are smoother and without errors. My printed letters and business emails get quick responses because they appear to be sent by someone who knows what they are doing. I write humour. Humour works best when the writing is smart and competently executed.

Pros

I've written two novels and a collection of short stories in the past few years. They may not be great literature, but they are spelled correctly, the word usage is expansive and not repetitive, and the grammar is better than I could do on my own. PWA shines a light on bad habits and suggests alternatives. Just what I needed. It gently makes you rethink the tricky bits. Every office should be using PWA.

Cons

There are no negatives to speak of. With the desktop app, I can do very thorough edits on big chunks of text so there's really no problem. It's like having a non-scolding expert editor looking over my shoulder.

Writing the Right Way!

Pros

I’ve always considered myself to be a good writer, but I can say ProWriting Aid has helped me develop into a better writer. The readability feature has been very beneficial. It sometimes forces me to rethink and rewrite so my writing reads more fluidly. It is great at warning me when I write in the passive voice, and it is awesome at suggesting unnecessary words to eliminate. ProWriting Aid has been pivotal for business writing and has benefited me as doctoral student.

Cons

ProWriting Aid is very feature rich, which is not a bad thing, but the issue is I am not always clear on how to get the best use out of all the features and reports.

Great tool for writers

Overall, I find this tool very useful when having to deal with a big amount of text or having to write a lot for work on a daily basis. It does offer a huge amount of insights and information to help you improve your writing skills over time.

Pros

ProWritingAid is a very nice tool to make sure all your content is written properly. It is extremely easy to use and you can set it up in just a few minutes. To start checking a document, you can upload an existing one or create a new one from scratchIt corrects your mistakes and classifies them in grammar, style, and spelling. This allows you to understand where you should improve. I found it very useful in the cases we have to write long manuals. It gives you endless possibilities to get further information about words (dictionary definitions, quotes, etc), same with extensive explanations of why your sentence needs corrections. The dashboard is very complete, and you find all the information on stats about your most common mistakes, key suggestions for improvements, vocabulary, etc.

Cons

As in my team, we usually do not write long documents and we use it mostly for emails and presentations, we have decided to use another alternative tool as we found it more suitable for our purpose. Something that offered a 'check on the go' At the time I tried it, they offered only the yearly subscription and the free trial was 14 days. It would be nice to have other subscription options that are more flexible

Very useful for fast writing

Satisfied

Pros

Fast, friendly word suggestions, nice extension. so far, everything.

Cons

Look and feel of the Web tool and color pallet, but I am being picky right now

Best grammar software in the industry! Grammarly can't compete!

I'm a self-published author running a small press and I couldn't afford to be in business without the help of ProWritingAid's excellent software. I depend on it to deliver clean, readable drafts each and every time I publish a new novel.

Pros

I absolutely love the flexibility and platform support that ProWritingAid offers. No matter which platform or software you use to get your writing done, ProWritingAid supports it — and does it well! When taken feature for feature, comparatively Grammarly and other similar writing software can't compete. And did I mention the price? A lifetime subscription is worth its weight in gold for anyone who considers themselves a professional writer, no matter the medium.

Cons

There are some bugs in the software, and they vary depending on which platform you're using, but they're easy to overlook given the overall value proposition that ProWritingAid offers. I wouldn't use anything else.

Perfect for Fiction and Non-Fiction

I've used ProWritingAid for publishing both fiction and non-fiction articles and books. The software handles both extremely well. Features to cover all modes of writing are easily identified and easy to use. The on-screen explanations of the software with additional help screens help to maintain a focus during editing. Functionality in other programs, like Firefox and other programs, is an added value. (PWA just prompted me correctly to add a comma after programs.) Excellent value for the money. Saves money by creating a well edited document if other professional editing us required.

Pros

Excellent and wide-ranging editing and document analysis features.

Cons

While using one feature of the editing software on a large segment of copy, the software will jump among the sub-features. I edit using one sub-feature at a time, progressing from start to end in the segment before shifting to another sub-section. The jumps to other, previously finished sub-section, interrupts smooth editing.