Adobe Captivate Logo

Suggested alternatives

360learning
talentlms
articulate-360

I was also reached out to DIRECTLY by a customer service member via email asking if I needed help. I did not need, help, but it was nice to know that the service was available.
I truly enjoy the ability to convert old PowerPoint training decks into exciting & yes to coin a phrase, "Captivating" training for our employees & management.
I found the application would crash every now and then. Nothing I could not work around, but strange to have to experience that in today's world.
Not flexible, slow, design functionalities outdated, poor functionality, can't be used for mobile in reality.
Coming from Articulate Storyline, it's very difficult to get the same type of interactions and logic in Captivate without some considerable tinkering.

MN

Mark N.

Executive Director

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Super Quick for 1st time SCORM Course Authoring

Transcript

Mark: My name is Mark and I run an organization that does videos for nonprofits. I am rating Adobe Captivate,...

Alita D.

Office Manager

Construction, 1-10 employees

Great Product, works exactly how it should

Transcript

Alita D.: Hi, I'm Alita. I'm an office manager. I give Adobe Captivate five out of five stars. For more...

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Feature-Rich Design and Development

I've preferred Captivate to Storyline throughout my career. Most orgs seem to lean toward Storyline because the UI is so similar to working in PowerPoint. I definitely prefer the more robust feature set that gets quality, regular updates/enhancements that comes with Captivate.

Pros

The ongoing updates and upgrades continue to make this software easier to use for those new to it, and also expedites building many of the interactions. Really enjoy the Assets feature as well when looking to switch things up a little - really helps with inspiration and new ideas. The online community is also really great with supporting each other and lending new ideas. The different preview options that are built in are fantastic and load so much faster than Storyline.

Cons

There are still a lot of work-arounds needed for some interaction types to meet digital accessibility needs, but that's to be expected with almost any software. When capturing video, you cannot capture device audio.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Great tool for creating training slides

I thoroughly enjoy using Adobe Captivate. Some companies designate employees to solely focus on Captivate and it's uses within their workforce. I believe that is an appropriate action as there is so much that in can be used for and it's a worthwhile investment.

Pros

I loved how you can create panels and embed videos within those panels for training purposes. Captivate can be used in meetings as presentation slides as well even though other programs may be better for that purpose.

Cons

What I like least is kind of a strength of the software. It is so robust that training on how to use the software is necessary. You can jump right in without training but you can miss a lot of the perks that Captivate offers.

CF

Calum F.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Great for basic eLearning - but not the best

It's good. I spent around 2 years using Captivate as my only tool for eLearning development. I now use Articulate Storyline 360 as my main tool, but have dipped back in to Captivate for features such as the screen recording

Pros

Having come into the eLearning world as a Flash developer, it was so easy to use. If you have nay background in Flash, or any basic programming knowledge, it is highly transferable to the way that Adobe have built captivate. Screen recording feature that captures mouse clicks etc.

Cons

It's just too complicated. Steep learning curve which was difficult for me when trying to train new employees how to use Captivate to develop eLearning. Impossible to train SME's to use for storyboarding etc in a way that has any return on the time that would need to be spent training them (in fairness, they do have the storyboard add on for this function). In comparison to an alternative such as...

Computer Software, self-employed

I'm sad because I found this program late.

I find my experience with this software great and it helped me build some of the things I needed before Using this, I was able to set up exams for myself, and to help out some colleaguesed before.

Pros

With Adobe Captivate, you can become a professional e-learning content writer with advanced interactive programs, scenario simulations and exams, also it does not require programming skills. It contains many templates that you can add. You can capture the screen, record screen activity, and synchronize audio and video very easily Adobe Captivate provides multiple animation effects, such as Adobe After Effects, where you can create sequential animations for a group of objects or for an individual object in an easy and simple way. You can create exam questions and place them randomly due to avoiding cheating, and also after all this you can publish it in several publishing methods such as HTML5, exe.

Cons

In my opinion, I find it a little expensive, other than that the content creation tools are a little limited .

Jordanne O.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Exciting Product but not quite as intuitive as you would want

Pros

I love all of the features of this software. You really can do a lot with it such as create responsive learning modules, VR modules, and knowledge check videos among other things. Once you master the authoring aspect I really do think you can make amazing learning modules. I like that you can make e-learning modules that really span the entire gauntlet of what online learning can be, from simply uploading powerpoints to be viewed online, to creating incredibly immersive and engaging online modules.

Cons

It's not really as intuitive as Adobe would have you believe. They pitch it as software that you really use "out of the box" as it were, but that is only true if you are trying to do things that are really really simple like a software simulation or an instructional video. However if you are imagining that you can buy this and almost immediately make engaging modules with quizzes and games and quiz videos, I think you will be disappointed especially since the customer support from adobe is also not the best.

CC

Craig C.

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

Adobe Captivate not the choice for me

I understand this is a great tool but the price, large time investment required to be proficient, unintuitive navigation, and high bandwidth it takes up made the product not worth it.

Pros

Even though I didn’t have a great experience with this product, I recognize you can create really awesome courses, elearnings, microlearnings, etc.

Cons

My issues with Adobe Captivate can be boiled down to three things:1. Despite the interface looking familiar, I found it very difficult to navigate and perform basic functions.2. At the time I was using a virtual desktop to work and found this software put a great strain on my computer…so much so that everything moved at a snails pace.3. I acknowledge that, with time and effort, I could have learned to be proficient with Adobe Captivate. But that time investment, for the high the price, wasn’t feasible (especially considering if we chose this software, we’d have to teach others to use it as well).

Rachel N.

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 11-50 employees

Great Adobe product

Pros

Easy to use, Adobe is consistent in their buttons and features - so if you know how to use an adobe product, you'll at least be able to navigate this.

Cons

Adobe can also have a learning curve, which can make it difficult for newbies.

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Pdf reader

Pros

This has been of a great help to me in reading and editing out pdf documents.

Cons

It doesnt really have any drawbacks. I an satisfied using this software.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Use Often

The perfect and most powerful course authoring tool.

Pros

So many features such as responsive design, screen recording and script writing.

Cons

I feel overwhelmed at times to keep up with latest editions.

Courses Designing by Captivate

Pros

I used this software for creating courses online for my Organizations and I have found very useful specially in COVID19 Situation around the Globe however my most favorite feature of this software to choose the answer types by several options like multi choose, choose one etc

Cons

Its configurations related to issuing certificate is tricky which is not very user friendly and it needs to made simple and easy

CB

Cheikh B.

Computer Software, self-employed

A formidable force in the e-learning sphere

Adobe Captivate saves me a lot of time with my clients

Pros

While I am new to the platform, I am impressed. My current work demands me to use it over all other operating systems. Having used the entirety of Adobe Creative Cloud and other e-learning products, the switch to this platform is seamless.  Captivate is one of the top-tier development packages, although it has a high entry cost. The platform is robust and rich in nuances, allowing for extensive exploration of alternatives for designing completely customized courses and user interfaces.

Cons

While you may delve extensively into extended interactions, data reporting, and so on, the learning curve for knowing advanced actions, keywords, and so on is enormous. Variables get buried and are not as easy to manipulate as they are in Articulate Replay, but they are buried for a reason: you can really accomplish more with Captivate than you can with its rival application with similar features. To continue nitpicking, I'm not a fan of the filmstrip display used to illustrate the slide tale. This is a feature I admire in Articulate's e-learning since it strongly encourages non-linear branching, while the linear movie clip does little to inspire users to create complex learning opportunities, perpetuating the linear death by slides prevalent in virtual learning.

FM

Felix Manuel M.

Mining & Metals, 11-50 employees

Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company

Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

Pros

This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures. This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

Cons

In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

AM

Alisa M.

Almost non-existent customer support

Pros

It contains all the functions that we need.

Cons

Customer support is non-existent. The automatic bot will chat with you for a bit then maybe a CS person will send you a link to their help page. If you need more help, they will schedule a call with you and never show up. Customer Service outsourced to India.

SK

Sameer K.

E-Learning, 10,001+ employees

Best tool for simulation and VR modules

Captivate is the best for simulation as compared to any other tool in the market. It the only tool which having 360 interactive output and can implement lots of things which will be in another tool in future.

Pros

There is no match for this tool for simulation of any website of the software. Now it's including a fluid box for responsive design and it works really well on different sized devices. We used to develop content for pure HTML 5 output and it output file works without any flash support.

Cons

Sometimes it becomes stuck when we try to insert assets from the library even if the RAM is 8GB. Other than that it is the best tool available in the market place.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Incredible E-Learning tool!

Overall, I loved receiving the training created in Adobe Captivate. It is a great web-based training tool.

Pros

I have received training that has been created with Adobe Captivate and I can say it was great. It helped us stay focused and engaged with the whole learning experience. I couldn't believe this training was created locally and it was so successful that the training was launched globally.

Cons

After received training, I requested to receive training for the creation of training material for my team. This is not your average tool, you need a lot of time to learn how to create engaging interactions. I wish there was an easier version for faster creation of the material.

ML

Michael L.

Banking, 51-200 employees

ELearning Design at it’s best!

Adobe Captivate has the power to help you create riveting eLearning experiences. It’s not as expensive as the competition, so you also get more bang for your buck.

Pros

This software can do just about anything that you would like for your eLearning courses. It’s easy to create interactive software demos, video role-plays, and detailed quizzes. If you have Adobe Captivate Prime, you can upload directly into the LMS. But even if you use another LMS, it’s easy to create a SCORM file and import it in.

Cons

It’s not the most intuitive product. You can do just about anything you would imagine, but it will take some experimentation. However, if you stick with it (or look up a few how-to’s on YoutTube) you’ll be all set!

Airlines/Aviation, 501-1,000 employees

Adobe

Overall, a good experience

Pros

I like how many things you can do with it. You can literally edit any document any way you want.

Cons

The only problem I've had with Adobe is that sometimes documents freeze every once in a while.

ML

Michelle L.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

Perfect for any size business

Used over and over again, never had any issues

Pros

Works with all programs I have used and perfect for any size business

Cons

The cost gets a little pricey when you have a fairly large company

Retail, 10,001+ employees

not a great authoring tool

Pros

it's adobe, so that's about the real pro it has going for it.

Cons

besides being adobe in name, it mirrors no other adobe product on the UI side. it also isn't as intuitive as other authoring products and also doesnt really work with AICC compliant content

Rebecca M.

Human Resources, 11-50 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Huge learning curve, but lots of functionality

It really was not a business option for us since we needed interactive e-learning right away, and the learning curve prevented us from being able to use this software. I have not tried Adobe Captivate Prime but I am curious to know if they have fixed this problem with that software!

Pros

This tool does a LOT of things related to learning - it can produce interactivity, animation, skip logic, videos, and SCORM/TinCan integration. You can create a lot of wonderful things in this software and implement it across your organization and track user learning in-depth.

Cons

It is a bear to learn. With Storyline, you can pick it up in minutes and create something that looks good and achieves a goal right away. With Captivate, you need to break out the training videos, start small, and prepare to move slowly through the process of learning this software.

EO

Eric O.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Easy to use!

Pros

I liked the fact it was easy to use. If i had any problems i could find a video to show me how to do it.

Cons

There are some features that did not work the way you would like.

DP

Dorothy P.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great product

Great product for our needs

Pros

Easy to navigate for knowledgeable user - Avatar type in or speech and speech to text - Software simulations

Cons

Tricky settings - Freezing file, long to proceed (Scrom) responsive on design - Text to speech quality

NF

Niel F.

Hospitality, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Great addition to Articulate

Pros

I learned Flash while it was still relevant. It helped me understand the layering of the Adobe Product and it's use. It is a great tool to show new users how to use a software and then quiz the participant of he/she is paying attention by asking to replicate the shown process.

Cons

It can be a bit glitchy in the LMS and may allow a user to click past the quiz depending on the authoring software. I had to upload to the LMS in a staging environment and test before deploying the WBT live to users. This took time.

MM

Melisa M.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Personalized Training and Education

We are customizing our training so we are using only our own courseware compared to contracting it out to another entity.

Pros

I love the ease of quickly creating quizes, tutorial videos and presentations.

Cons

There is a little bit of curve to learn how to create and manage the interactions but Adobe provides free tutorials and examples to help guide you through.

SS

Surinder S.

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Adobe Captivate

Overall it is good product. Haven't had a chance to use it for other online learning expect CF Specialist program.

Pros

Signed up for the 'Adobe ColdFusion CF Specialist Certificate' program and had the chance to use Adobe Captivate as the learning content setup by Adobe.

Cons

The links sent by Adobe to login into Adobe Captivate worked in one Browser and not in other. Sometimes, even after login, it just keeps spinning without no reason