Dragon Professional Individual Logo

On-premise speech recognition software for professionals

Dragon Professional Individual Reviews

Suggested alternatives

sonix
happy-scribe
callai

Good recognition of the voice, compatibility with almost all the most important software. Buy the professional version to have the chance to use also with EXCEL.
It is a great time saver when you need to get some letters out and a great way to open word and get to formatting the template. It is a positive review and the price, when bought on sale is worth it.
Dragon helped me increase my productivity and ease my wrist/hand pains. The dictating process is fluid and also helps creativity, I'd recommend Dragon to every translator out there.
Using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for difficult sentences and uncommon, atypical words, especially when spoken with an accent, makes this software essentially useless.
I realize that the main design of the software probably to assist visually impaired people, but then wouldn't the frequent inaccuracies make it rather bad for that category of customers.
I had two technical problems that were very seriously hindering my capacity to use the program. All attempts to get a tech support failed.

HE

Harlan E.

Practice Administrator

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Dictation made easy and inexpensive

Transcript

Harlan: Hi, my name is Harlan. I'm Director of Operations for a construction company, and I'm reviewing...

Amit G.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Accurate speech recognition

It's more accurate and faster than google and works really well offline. Works well with accents and learns how you speak over time. Gets better the more you use it.

Pros

Been using Dragon software since the 90s and every version gets better. Not only does a great job when dictation, but works well at controlling computer

Cons

The number of license options and versions over the years have become confusing and I wish this was simplified. Wish one liencce could run on my multiple computers. Better mac support would be great

Financial Services, 501-1,000 employees

Works like a charm

If you are in language transcription business or medical transcription business or just have a lot of tying to do, don’t give it a second thought and just buy this. It’s incredible at what it does with Speed and Accuracy. It could really save you a lot of time but it takes a while to get to know the commands and get your voice recognised in all scenarios. Overall a great product 👍🏻

Pros

1) Accuracy is one of the best things about it. 2) Speed is another aspect that it scores highly. I talk really fast, but it still manages to write down almost all of it. 3) Command Set is pretty easy to understand and get used to. 4)Huge Time saver - If you are into Transcription business like me, it’s a dream come true. You can get so much done in such little time and ofcourse earn more 🙂

Cons

1) RAM consumption is a lot with this software. You can’t really multitask if it’s open. 2) Sometimes it starts to lag behind in the writing process, but that rarely happens. 3) Comprehensive inbuilt Grammar check is missing which would really take this software to a new level.

gc

gary c.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Used to be great!

As per the title - this software used to be great, even excellent! Later versions are poor in comparison and I am now looking to switch to another product most definitely. I did think I would ever switch from Dragon!

Pros

Difficult to say – used to be a great piece of software now it isjust a continual disruption…

Cons

It basically just keeps failing – it is not consistent in terms of its operation and use. For example, this morning, I trained a couple of words i.e. acronyms that I use on a regular basis. This spelling was accepted and I applied it a couple of times. Only an hour later, the words are not recognised. I try to re-iinput the same word and same spelling again, but it reverts to a normal spelling. Also regularly now, words appear with extra letters in them – as per the example here with input, it is not that I cannot spell input it is just that this is how Dragon spells it… Have had various problems recently and every time the aim of customer service is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible – to be quite frank this business has lost the plot.

Judiciary, 501-1,000 employees

Dragon Nuance Review

As a voice writer, I use Dragon Naturally Speaking together with another program daily. I transcribe all court records using this software and it has become quick and easy.

Pros

I have been using Dragon for the past two years. It has helped me to become more productive at work. With the Dragon software, I transcribe more audio hours per week compared to typing on a qwerty keyboard.

Cons

As someone with a Caribbean accent, I had to train the Dragon software to recognise my pronunciation of many words. Training the software took a little time; however, it was worth it. Dragon now recognises my pronunciation perfectly, and this has resulted in greater accuracy.

Public Safety, 51-200 employees

Worked well quickly after install.

Time saver +++++

Pros

Good accuracy, quick use. Commands functions work well. Accuracy improves with time. Multiple licenses help.

Cons

Australian accent pick up sometimes not accurate. "microphone off" command sometimes difficult with background noise.

Katalin M.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Good concept, only fair execution

Extensive Laboratory use

Pros

We have been using Dragon for years - while the concept is excellent, the execution is only fair. Easy to use, easy to set up, very nice "canned comments" and functionality to use.

Cons

Errors are frequent enough to cause concern - going into, then back out of records for recording and re-recording can be problematic. Incorrect translations are frequent enough to cause concerns - translation of words like "thymus" into "time us" is not acceptable. The company does appear to come out with real-time improvements and efforts to correct, however, the errors that make it through are concerning.

ayse a.

Translation and Localization, self-employed

facility

Since I sometimes use CAT, I use it less, but it's so much fun to just dictate. You dictate, the job is done, just little checks of connections here and there.

Pros

it's really an indispensable tool. How quickly I gained by simply dictating what needed to be typed. Translating takes time already, but typing takes time too. It's a big help to have to use this software.

Cons

it's true it's an expensive purchase. It is true that it is profitable afterwards, but the cost is substantial. It's not something that everyone can afford.

Rune E.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Dragon Speech Recognition , fail

Tried it. Never really found it to be other than a pain in the apple. I am thinking it COULD be beneficial for someone that writes EVERY DAY and ONLY does that. But for us mortals, I think this tech is, not up to par.

Pros

I like the IDEA that it COULD be faster to talk into the mic like if I was to write a book, that is why I got it.

Cons

The thing here is that every sentence needs to be addressed, like, "end sentence". And "Capital L". "Underscore". You have to talk more to the software than I like and I am not fond of it.

Tohibullah M.

Information Services, 1-10 employees

Best speech recognition software but the technology still has a long way to go

Pros

Using this for our transcription needs and very much satisfied. There is an advantage using this software over others as they are the market leader in the speech recognition space and truly discern speech better than all other alternatives to date as per my experience.

Cons

The technology still has a long way to go before making it efficient for someone with not English as mother tongue and not fluent in English make use of this software.

Medical Practice, 5,001-10,000 employees

Ease of use, seamless functionality and integration.

Pros

I find that the speed recognition is very accurate even as I speak in regular conversational cadence. Using this app improves my workflow because it allows me to complete my charts quickly.

Cons

I would like a way to be more familiar with the voice commands I need to use to grammar edits as I am dictating. I feel that there should be an easy way to get to a menu for quick review and options.

Works with amazing accuracy. Without doubt, the best voice recognition software available.

Pros

Its accuracy and ability to execute commands as well as record text. Multiple languages. Adapts by building a profile of the user over time. I bought Dragon NS in 2016, version 13 Premium and was surprised at how good voice recognition has become in recent years. I am a technical translator, French to English, and knew that DNS was fully supported by my computer aided translation software (MemoQ)....

Cons

The software itself is quite perfected. There is a challenging learning curve and one must learn many voice commands in order to edit using voice. On the other hand, the keyboard is still operative and it is quite feasible to mix voice and keyboard work. My most serious complaint is not about Nuance's DNS, but about some programs by others that do not support it well. For example, I use MS Office 365 and DNS works well with Word and Excel, but not with OneNote (however, it does work well with Evernote). It is not supported well by some online translation platforms like Memsource, which some of my clients require me to use. So if you plan on using it with specialized applications or platforms, you will need to verify that DNS is supported.

KM

Kelsea M.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Making Connection Easier for Those with Disabilities

Our clients can stay connected which adds to their mental well being. This is important to the caregivers at West Coast Independent Living. The more independence these folks feel, the more empowered they are.

Pros

I researched and purchased this software for the folks in our independent living facility. People here are physically disabled but mentally sound- and usually are new to living with a disability due to illness,an accident etc. This speech recognition software allows our clients to stay connected through the internet just as they had before. Emails, internet searching and using application such as Microsoft Word are accessible to them once more.

Cons

The icon at the bottom which we keep "pinned" to the banner for clients ease of use, can sometimes be too close to other icons. When you do *not* wish to use the software, if you inadvertently press the icon it can take a while to wait for the software to load etc to be able to close it down. For people who cannot use their hands, it can be hard to close all of the windows when not in use. As this software likely is used by those with physical impairments, it is just something to note.

DM

Dustin M.

Computer Hardware, 201-500 employees

The only full service voice dictation software.

Very cheap and effective Medical dictation software.

Pros

First of all this is really all about the Medical edition of the software. I support 50 doctors who use this software on a daily basis. I have users who speak at barely a whisper and then I have doctors who will speak so loudly and fast to dictate you would think they are having a shouting match with someone. It can be trained to pick up speech patterns and accents. It's a very accurate piece of software and each version keeps getting better. The dedicated support team we have access to with Dragon is top notch as well. On average they respond to my odd ball problems within an hour and have some potential fixes.

Cons

There are times when Dragon will start lagging and not properly dictate, this is annoying but it can be fixed. Since we use Citrix in our environment we have to occasionally run a program to restore vSync and after doing so Dragon is back to picking everything up.

PG

Peter G.

Writing and Editing, 1-10 employees

Very irritating

Having used this software for over 15 years I have finally given up on it and changed to an online free service that is not only good, but doesn't use up massive amounts of computer resources, and interfere with other running processes running on the computer and gives a surprisingly accurate output albeit not as sophisticated as Dragon.

Pros

Its basically a very good program but recent upgraqdes have become increasingly buggy, and have incompatibility problems with windows 10 that causes crashes and freezes and random changes in font size and configurations.

Cons

The company takes no notice of customer complaints about the program, and have made no attempt to correct them or issue upgrades to overcome them. Trying to anyone to help in managing these problems is almost impossible.

BK

Brenda K.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Allows for efficient multi tasking

Overall experience has been very satisfactory. I have cut my work time in half.

Pros

The ability to just be able to speak and have it transcribe accurately and quickly. I do student assessments and curriculum adjustments daily. It is time consuming if you are stuck at the keyboard all day. This allows me to get other tasks accomplished simultaneously. Spelling is usually error free and it gets accustomed to words and phrases you use often. I am getting so many words per minute accomplished using this method rather than typing.

Cons

A little pricey. I would recommend for people who will use it multiple times per week to make it cost efficient. You may want to invest in a good microphone. I got one online at a reasonable price. my children are Home schooled and also use it from time to time. If you are using this for children be sure they speak loudly and clearly as it may make more errors when words are not spoken clearly. Cumbersome installation but worth it in the end!

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Excellent dictation software for medical office use!

No need for transcriptionist as Dragon is more efficient, and can keep up with fast talkers like myself.

Pros

I love that the more Dragon is used, the better it recognizes words and voices. I use Dragon in clinic when dictating notes, and the program transcribes flawlessly. The program seems to remember previous notes and is able to spell things like medication names and medical conditions with no problems at all. Can add multiple users all with unique voice profiles.

Cons

Slows down the computer, especially when needing to switch from Word to EMR. Seems that in order to use this software, you would need quite a bit of memory to support it.

ME

Meghan E.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Top of the line dictation software

I haven't found anything to top DNS for what it does. I wish the company behind it was more interested in product support than pushing out paid upgrades that aren't ready yet.

Pros

It's the best on the market. If you put the time into it, you can get excellent results. It can be lifesaver for your hands and wrists if you type a lot.

Cons

It's clunky and is prone to glitches and issues. When it's working it's great. When it's not, it can be a pain. Instead of fixing issues and issuing a patches, the company is more concerned with frequent paid upgrades without fixing the problems in the version you already paid for.

Sue M.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Worst customer service ever!

Used it without issue since 2019, though I cannot train it to a level where I can actually dictate errorfree. Use it mostly for transcribing recordings.A month ago, my laptop suffered a hard drive failure and needed to be replaced. I found out that the download file stops working after two years. Support stuff suggested I re-purchase the product.I eventually located the download file on an old backup and re-installed the product. Only to find that I couldn't activate it because I didn't uninstall the software from my old laptop - which I couldn't!I've never dealt with any company so unhelpful and predatory. Would not recommend.

Pros

I tend to dictate while out walking and use the Dragon to transcribe my recordings.

Cons

The customer service is horrible, consisting of unhelpful, canned responses.

Mental Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

Lifesaver for kids with disablities

At the school board we recommend this software for kids with reading/learning disabilities. It helps them tremendously with their school work. We especially like it for kids in high school as they need to read larger volume of texts and needs to write longer lengths of paper/assignments. This tool allows them to succeed.

Pros

This software is the gold standard when it comes to speech-to-text. It is able to read anything on the computer - icons, websites, pdfs, etc. and will respond to voice commands to access these things. The rate at which it converts your speech to text is almost seamless and the accuracy is superior in comparison to other speech to text programs.

Cons

This software is very pricey considering there are other free speech to text programs out there. There is also a bit of a learning curve in the beginning as the program learns your voice and as you learn how to access all the features available. However, once you have mastered the program you will not consider other programs.

Used monthly for 2+ years

Useful software, but not quite up to par by current standards

Less neck and back pain. Dictating long projects can be faster and easier than typing.

Pros

I only use Dragon for very long projects, i.e. translating novels. Being able to dictate hundreds of pages is fantastic, since I used to experience neck pain after work. It also includes a long list of control commands for other programs as well as your OS. I myself don't use this capablity, but it can definitely come in handy if you are injured or disabled.

Cons

I have been using the software for about 7 years now and I don't think it has kept up with the times. There are other great options for speech recognition that you don't need to train beforehand. I use Google Docs on my phone and it picks up virtually everything in all 4 of my working languages. Before using Dragon, you will need to set up and "train" the software by reading several texts into the microphone. I used to be fine with this 7 years ago, but in 2018 it shouldn't be necessary . One last con: I don't like how Dragon seems to run in the background even after I've closed it. I used to see processes associated with it in my Windows Task Manager/start menu and had to jump through hoops to delete them manually. I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem anymore in newer versions, though.

MJ

Mantas J.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Useful when you have space for yourself and type a lot.

If you are willing to learn, train the software and not afraid to sound funny (robotic with constant commands), then after a few sessions this thing will take off saving around 40%-60% of your time. It can even control other software on your computer, so your workflow can really take off.

Pros

It is really accurate tool. Understands even foreign pronunciation. It can learn from documents that you wrote, so it understands you better. When dragon is trained, it is super tool to have.

Cons

If you are not too tech savvy, it can be a real headache to learn to use it without help. If you don't learn how to dictate properly it creates a lot of work to amend your dictation.

TH

Teresa H.

Publishing, self-employed

This is the Best

Although it isn't perfect, it's the best option out there from what I hear, and I'll continue to use it while hoping improvements continue to be made to the software.

Pros

I like that I can use it to write my novels without exacerbating my carpal tunnel syndrome--it's extremely easy once it's all set up and I've written entire novels with it.

Cons

I'm not crazy about its ability to recognize certain words. Swear words are impossible. If it mixes up a homonym, it can be hard to fix if it's something like to/too/two and there are many in the document already. Basically, it isn't perfect.

JH

Jeffrey H.

E-Learning, 10,001+ employees

Good Tool

Great! It makes life so much easier. I just wish that they had a subscription version compared to buying the new one every year.

Pros

Allows us to complete work faster. Makes taking notes, logging calls, and sending emails faster. Overall a great boost to efficiency.

Cons

It takes up a lot of space on your hard drive. At one point, the system learns how you talk to improve dictation and it took up 80 GB on my computer.

Publishing, 51-200 employees

Can Take Some Getting Used To

Pros

I like how you can learn to run your entire computer. It's nice to not only dictate but to give my wrists a break from time to time. I'm on the computer for work at least 10 hours a day.

Cons

Even when it claims you've trained the software, it can still make a lot of mistakes. It takes quite a bit of time to get it trained to your voice. Things like Google Docs can understand you just as easily, if not better, without voice training. But, you can't run the entire computer from Google Docs - so there is a definite pro to Naturally Speaking.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

A time saver

Pros

The voice dictation is amazing. We use this product mostly for our customer service staff. To be able to use the same microphone to answer a call, then to write an email response or a chat response saves them so much time. It doesn't matter how quick the speech, Dragon is able to keep up and make very minimal errors in the dictation.

Cons

There is occasional lag, but nothing too bad. This might be be due to how the program is written, it seems to take a up a lot of memory on the computer while it is running. \