Blackboard Learn

Online learning management system and course management

Blackboard Learn Reviews

Pros

Blackboard is wonderful for students, it is very easy to use and they constantly do updates that help improve the system.

Katie H.

Overall I had a wonderful experience and I’ve talked to other students about their thoughts and the overall consensus was it’s great for the busy college student.

Michele P.

Christopher M.

Cons

We ran our own host and it had nothing but problems, and I am not talking hardware. Every time we went to run an update, it broke something.

Tony L.

Richard R.

When you first enter blackboard it can seem hard to navigate and seem overwhelming for both student and teacher. The options for customization for teachers are somewhat limited.

Jess P.

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Transcript

Joel: Hey! My name is Joel. I'm a teacher for high school and middle school science, and I give Blackboard...

using blackboard makes my day worse

Transcript

Sean: Hi, I'm Sean. I'm a teaching assistant and I would give Blackboard Learn a three out of five. For...

Blackboard LMS for Business Review

My overall experience with Blackboard LMS Business is always amazing! It has helped and improved my grade so much because it lets me know ahead of time when assignments are due, which has helped be more organized as well. I love this software so much and I suggest everyone to use this!

Pros

A feature that I love the most about this software is it allows teachers to upload assignments online to eliminate the use of paper. This software is such an easy to use software and really simple to change any settings for the liking of your choice. What I also love about this is that it is a good platform to take tests and quizzes, which is super amazing because it is not confusing at all. I absolutely love this and it has helped be more organized!

Cons

A feature that I would like to see in the future is the mobile app, it could use a little improvement and it is a bit slow, but the desktop version is amazing so it does not really bother me because I usually check and do everything through my desktop. I still absolutely love this software.

A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues

I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pros

I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Cons

Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

One of the best e-learning softwares for (higher) education

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn is amazing, since it is a platform that has all the features (and beyond) I need for higher education (as a student). The communication and course management are just spot on. I feel this software has a great potential and amazing capabilities and it is definitely my favorite e-learning platform. I could easily recommend it to any higher education student/teacher.

Pros

What I like the most about Blackboard Learn is the amazing and complete features it offers to its users. I use this software for higher education (as a student) and it is very complete and reliable. I can track all my courses, appointments, works, grades, files and many more in the same place, which is perfect for me. I also like the fact I can communicate with my teachers within this platform and the possibility to activate the email notifications for every course is a great add-up for this software.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is the User Interface (UI), as I consider the navigability could be better and the features could yet be more accessible and easier to use. Other than that, I don't have any other "complaints" about Blackboard Learn. I may mention that in the beginning of the pandemic, with the introduction of online classes, this software was a life-saver and my institution needed to contact the support team, who was very responsive and agile to solve all the issues at that time.

a Long Term User's Honest Experience

Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since...

Pros

1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing. 2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX 3. Well established company is behind it 4. Modular front-end 5. Many bells and whistles

Cons

1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions. 2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization. 3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface. 4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

blackboard Learn for undergraduate classes

I used blackboard as a graduate student and I have been using it now as an instructor for my larger chemistry classes with 200 to 250 students, and it is really very helpful, makes my classes run smoothly.

Pros

it is easy to post all assignments, class materials, notes and grades using blackboard. Especially for larger classes I don't have to print the paper copy, posting the class material on blackboard will help students to print and refer to the material easily. Gradebook is one of the best features of blackboard, I have quizzes almost everyday for my students, posting these quizzes grades were very straightforward using blackboard. I have also used blackboard for online quizzes and exams, and for lab exams.

Cons

Blackboard gets slower when many people are using at the same time and some times it becomes unavailable due to maintenance(but we do get notice prior to it). other than that I had no issue with it.

How a big platform loose the ranking

The mobolebapp is not functional, there is no gamification nor maestries.

Pros

I like the advertisements they did in the past, everyone knew how expensive and famous it was.

Cons

They did not innovate, they both a lot of little competitors and lately they are selling them because that strategy has lost again more innovative platforms and cheaper.

BlackBoard as a student

It's super easy to navigate and find all your resources on. It's well organized and I love it.

Pros

I really like using blackboard. It is a lot better than other programs I've had to learn for school. It is super easy to navigate. You can find all your assignments there. There's a calendar to make when assignments are due. My favorite part I think, is the fact that you can email another student through blackboard. So if you are doing a project and you've never met your partner, or don't have their information, you can email them through blackboard.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

Blackboard

This is our LMS system and we are in general very happy with it.

Pros

I have found it easy to use and easy to get used to. I like the value that it brings to the educational experience.

Cons

It's not the most modern product. That being said all the tools exist once you get used to it and find them.

Blackboard Learn - review

I use Blackboard Learn everyday though my studies. This is where I get feedback on my work, access to compendium, and we often have digital meetings here. In other words, I am very dependent on this app, and I am all in all very happy about it.

Pros

I really like that everything that has to do with my studies is gathered in one place. It is super easy to navigate, to upload and share documents, deliver assignments and communicate with other students through the discussion forums.

Cons

What I like least is that when I get a message from my professor, I get notified much later than when the message actually were sent.

Probably the Best Option for Universities and Their Professors

Pros

Blackboard provided me, as an adjunct English professor, the ability to input and track grades, create and post rubrics, post class materials, PowerPoint and more. It accomplished virtually everything I needed to accomplish.

Cons

Posting grades could have been more seamless . The email feature also could have been more user-friendly.

Wow..an excellent online Learning platform

Pandemic-related problems with submitting assignments and accessing information for my online and face-to-face classes. It has become increasingly apparent to me as I progress through graduate school that this site will be useful not only for my coursework, but also for group presentations and collaboration with other students.

Pros

My assignments and materials are organized in one place. As of the most recent update, it is now much easier to use than it used to be. Assigning assignments and adding details to classes has never been simpler. Now, it's much easier to use than it was before. The process of giving students feedback and organizing my responses is simple. It's also how I communicate with them. As a result, it's easy to refer back to them and remember what I said. I also like that Blackboard integrates well with other apps. When it comes to presentations, I rely heavily on VoiceThread and Panopto. GoReact and Top Hat are also on my to-do list.

Cons

An update to the mobile app is still in order. There is a lot of work to be done on this project. On the web, the user experience was much better.

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Needs some work for organization

Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pros

Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Cons

They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

Well established platform

I am consulting for two institutions - the one a large higher education institution - 45 000+ Blackboard users - self hosted and the other - smaller business school - 1000+ Blackboard users - hosted. I present training and support to the faculty on how to use the LMS. Although one can discover a lot for yourself using the Blackboard help site, there are a few tips and tricks that make life a lot...

Pros

Everything is in one space - lots of tools - the sky is really the limit. I also like the Best Practice parts of the help site - it helps you to get ideas of how you can use the tools.

Cons

In terms of support from Blackboard, sometimes the person who receives the inquiry do not read properly or English is a second language because we often have to explain again and again before they understand - that is the only frustration I currently have with the support. It is unfortunately a very expensive product since the institutions are not based in the USA and therefore we are subjected to the exchange rate.

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pros

As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Cons

While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

Great and Powerful LMS - Blackboard.

Pros

The way we can review the documents; The better way to report plans localized to the group. I can gauge what matters more simple and directely. I like all the information, the trend is in one space, graphed automatically and an easy way of collaboration and track deliverables.

Cons

We don't have any major issues using Blackboard. It is a really good service for us!

Blackboard LMS

Classrooms disorganized?! Not with Blackboard! This will make classroom administration a breeze, saving your instructors and administrators a lot of time and make your classroom management 1000% more efficient!

Pros

The greatest feature of this product is the ease of use with regards to its navigation. When we started using Blackboard LMS, I literally trained a large portion of our staff on the ins and outs of the software in less than 2 hours. This has made classroom organization the easiest it has been in decade. Our instructors can distribute class materials, assignments, and grades with a few clicks. It is absolutely amazing!

Cons

Installation can be both lengthy and problematic if you are moving from an incompatible LMS. While we were lucky, we still ran into bugs while making our transition. This was frustrating, but was luckily done during the summer, when attendance was at its lowest.

Makes my Online classes SO Much easier

Overall I love it. It helps me to focus on my school work and know when I have assignments due. It notifies me when new material is uploaded. ANYTHING that makes my life easier is a A++ in my book!

Pros

Blackboard has been AMAZING for organizing my online classes. I take 4 online classes a semester and I would be a mess if I didn't have blackboard reminding me of what needs done and making it super easy. Its very easy to upload my assignments and see whats due when it's due. Everything about it is SUPER easy and organized so I can focus all my energy on my school work.

Cons

I still can't figure out how to export my due dates to my calendar. I'm not sure if you even can, but I can't find any support on it. I don't like how I can't change the names of my courses and Ive had 3 courses that I dont take anymore still showing up and can't get them to disappear.

Hammer To Swat a Fly

Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Pros

Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality Love that there are break out rooms for each session Clickable rubrics - awesome Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Cons

Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work. What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

Undergraduate Learning with Blackboard Learn

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn was optimal as a student in college.

Pros

I found this advantageous when I was in college as an undergraduate. It was great to track my course work and online assignments through this LMS. For its time it was adequate with the UI layout but to modern look and feel of websites and web application software in 2020 it would be outdated unless they revamped the display of everything.

Cons

It was just a bit clunky at times and occasionally a pain in the @$$ but it still got the job done. It might have been that my student user rights weren't fully configured and there was a lack of training from the university for students to use the tool and not on the fault of Blackboard Learn.

Gets better every year

Pros

I like that I can add content, links, video's that can be played right from Blackboard. Each year this system gets better and more versatile to use. It also does not require much training to lean how to use it which make it user friendly on both sides. I also like that I can pull it up on my my phone even if the fromat is not always right.

Cons

It can be hard to find certain things and often tabs are hidden withing other tabs. This an also be frustrating to students when trying to locate content. The mobile app does also have some kinks, it does not format well. It is nice to check things like grades but not alot of work can be done from the mobile app.

Hard to use software that is also very expensive!

Okay.

Pros

Blackboard LMS is great for schools as well as faculty in organizing their class materials although it can be a bit confusing for your average user.

Cons

Price and the fact it was hard to implement.

Blackboard Analytics for Learn

Analytics has been a game-changer that is helping our institution create an overall better student experience.

Pros

Blackboard Analytics is an amazingly powerful data platform. Working in conjunction with Pyramid, Analytics lets you view Blackboard data from a "global" institution view, all the way down to a single mouse click, by one student in one course. In this ever increasing data-driven industry, Analytics is a powerful tool to help you make informed decisions based on real time data. Information is presented in easy to navigate dashboards, allowing users to interact with the data. Admins can create specific reports tailored to the institution needs. Customer support and training have been invaluable.

Cons

Going in, it helps if you have a working knowledge of databases. The dashboards are easy enough for the general user, but the report creation is not always intuitive. All that said, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

A Gold Standard

Pros

I utilized this software on a user-end point while in college in the mid 2010s. My wife is using it now as a student in the late 2010s. Blackboard Learn opens a doorway into the world of academia like no other platform I have ever experienced. With it, you can enter a virtual learning center with as robust a set of resources as any prestigious university in the country. Blackboard Learn is an essential tool for creating an online environment where students can really learn akin to the classroom. I highly recommend it - both for professionals looking to impart their knowledge to a wider, more varied audience, and for scholars looking to broaden their horizons with academic leaders across all fields.

Cons

Very few cons about this platform except that, akin to Microsoft Excel, a lot of the features seem both difficult to find or too complex to effectively utilize. The user manual will likely be your closest ally with this software.

Blackboard - Really clunky!

At our institution Bb Learn instructions sometimes don't match the local implementation.

Pros

What I like most about the software is what is is *supposed* to do: serve as a total course management system.

Cons

Everything about Blackboard is clunky — at least as it is set up in our university. Operations that should be drag and drop require multiple clicks. Nearly every function in Blackboard is present in other generic software and works more efficiently. In addition, Blackboard (as set up in our school) forces templates onto teachers, Redoing the templates into usable form takes lots of clicks. Here are...