Blackboard Learn Logo

Blackboard Learn

A marketing-leading LMS for education, biz, gov, and more.

Blackboard Learn Reviews

4.1

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.5/10

Reviews by rating

It's been a wonderful experience with Blackboard, i love how other applications integrate so well with Blackboard.
Blackboard is wonderful for students, it is very easy to use and they constantly do updates that help improve the system.
Overall I had a wonderful experience and I’ve talked to other students about their thoughts and the overall consensus was it’s great for the busy college student.
We ran our own host and it had nothing but problems, and I am not talking hardware. Every time we went to run an update, it broke something.
It has a bad UI and does not integrate well with other software solutions.
Everything about Blackboard is clunky — at least as it is set up in our university. Operations that should be drag and drop require multiple clicks.

Simon S.

Director Of Technology

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Hard to use software that is also very expensive!

Transcript

Simon S.: Hi, I'm Simon. I am a director of technology. Today I'm giving Blackboard Learn four out of...

JT

Joel Thomas B.

Teacher

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Transcript

Joel: Hey! My name is Joel. I'm a teacher for high school and middle school science, and I give Blackboard...

Kelsi N.

Veterinary, 5,001-10,000 employees

Best program for higher education

Pros

Super easy to use and find my courses and what I need to do next. Easy to connect with other students and professors. There are lots of integrations that allow for the program to be accessible and adaptable to all.

Cons

I wish there was an easier way to see what is doing next or some sort of task list that I could create on my own.

Jamie C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reliable where it counts

Pros

Blackboard is a rather intuitive learning platform, packed with a huge amount of features. If you need it for your school, it can be done. There were also a number of training materials and good customer support. It's reliable, which means students and instructors will know when to expect outages and prepare accordingly.

Cons

The UI, until recently, was a bit stale and outdated in appearance. Thankfully this has been updated and seems more modernistic now. It is also a bit more expensive than alternatives.

GC

Gail C.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

BB Review

I loved it, until advanced tech came along and had trouble with upload of videos

Pros

Ease of communication with students and ease learning curve at beginning. of use. Little l

Cons

Lack of compatible add-ons that were needed

Eduardo R.

Renewables & Environment, self-employed

Blackboard, learn in a complex fashion

If you compare this to operating systems, blackboard provides a more linux/windows experience. The platform is robust and complex with a lot to offer, but this pro at the same time makes it a downside since it is not user friendly compared to other market competitors. As a student who used it for 3+ years. I understand and appreciate what the platform provides but I prefer simplicity over complexity.

Pros

The big scale design of the platform is ideal to have all your academic needs in one. Access to a combine calendar allowing for easy visualization of homeworks, projects and tasks. Easy view of currents classes and course materials. With the years of experience this platform is reliable and complete.

Cons

Even though the complexity is robust, sometimes it can be overwhelming for students and ease of access across the platform is not the best compared to other market competitors.

Management Consulting, 201-500 employees

Perfect and always saves time

Pros

The softwares capacity to synchronize contacts and users information.

Cons

Near to perfect but it has little hitch when it comes to support.

KF

Kim F.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Better Learning Tool Out There

Overall my experience with Blackboard was not bad but since using other software I do prefer the others to Blackboard Learn.

Pros

Hosting courses on Blackboard is better than having another software. Helps with managing your class and multiple users can work together to add work to it. Integration with zoom is great and necessary. Eases the maintenance that comes with large classes for teacher assistants and professors.

Cons

So many features could be improved. We now use Canvas and prefer that to Blackboard Learn. Need more integration and more improvements on the mobile app.

MR

Muhammad R.

Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees

Blackboard for university students

Effective learning for students and improving outcomes. Digitalization of curriculum so universities may keep up to date.

Pros

An excellent platform to conduct courses for students , uploading relevant course work, setting assessments and also promoting discourse on a course forum.The product is simple to use and is extremely user friendly. With a short course, students are able to effectively utilise the system and with many online options for assistance, it really helps those learners who are unsure.

Cons

Support could be better at times and a complicated process to register users.

Banking, 51-200 employees

Effective tool for the education industry

Pros

It has a big amount of features and it's easy to use as a learner at the university. There are also interesting collaborative functions.

Cons

I think it might be difficult for young learners, so I don't think is suitable for higher education.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

BlackBoard Learn Review

Pros

It serves the purpose and is a reliable platform for students and teachers/lecturers alike.

Cons

The user interface can be a bit intimidating for students at times and we had to explain in different ways to get students to use the platform.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Blackboard como herramienta educativa

Pros

La implantacion con el resto de suites educativas, versatilidad de distintas areas usando el mismo.

Cons

Esta un poco anticuada la interfaz ya que no ha recibido muchas actualizaciones

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

Nhat N.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Blackboard Learn Review

I had great experience with Blackboard Learn and I will continue to use it in the future. I have not found any other education software out there that can do what Blackboard Learn does.

Pros

It is easy to use and has all of the feature I need like auto grade, the ability to create quiz and text on the fly and allow the student to get involved in the discussion.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like about the software.

Signe J.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Simplifies Grades, Course Communications, & Materials Distribution

There are a lot of learning management systems out there, and I've used several of them. Blackboard is my favorite. It has excellent capabilities, improves organization, and makes it very easy to communicate with students.

Pros

Blackboard is a great tool for communicating with students, distributing course materials, and recording student grades. The "one-stop shopping" approach makes it easy for professors to stay organized in each class, and it also makes it easy for students to stay organized. When used well, Blackboard allows you to do everything from communicating with students to uploading assignment sheets to sending...

Cons

For me, Blackboard wasn't intuitive to learn. Even after 7 years of using it nearly ever day during the semester, I had some challenges making it do what I wanted it to do. I often spent far more time than I should have trying to customize things for my courses. But, as long as I stuck to the basic features -- which are also the ones I personally found most useful/beneficial -- Blackboard was a great tool for organizing my courses and keeping students on track.

TD

Tanay D.

Consumer Electronics, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Wow..an excellent online Learning platform

Pandemic-related problems with submitting assignments and accessing information for my online and face-to-face classes. It has become increasingly apparent to me as I progress through graduate school that this site will be useful not only for my coursework, but also for group presentations and collaboration with other students.

Pros

My assignments and materials are organized in one place. As of the most recent update, it is now much easier to use than it used to be. Assigning assignments and adding details to classes has never been simpler. Now, it's much easier to use than it was before. The process of giving students feedback and organizing my responses is simple. It's also how I communicate with them. As a result, it's easy to refer back to them and remember what I said. I also like that Blackboard integrates well with other apps. When it comes to presentations, I rely heavily on VoiceThread and Panopto. GoReact and Top Hat are also on my to-do list.

Cons

An update to the mobile app is still in order. There is a lot of work to be done on this project. On the web, the user experience was much better.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues

I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pros

I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Cons

Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

Rafael P.

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

One of the best e-learning softwares for (higher) education

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn is amazing, since it is a platform that has all the features (and beyond) I need for higher education (as a student). The communication and course management are just spot on. I feel this software has a great potential and amazing capabilities and it is definitely my favorite e-learning platform. I could easily recommend it to any higher education student/teacher.

Pros

What I like the most about Blackboard Learn is the amazing and complete features it offers to its users. I use this software for higher education (as a student) and it is very complete and reliable. I can track all my courses, appointments, works, grades, files and many more in the same place, which is perfect for me. I also like the fact I can communicate with my teachers within this platform and the possibility to activate the email notifications for every course is a great add-up for this software.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is the User Interface (UI), as I consider the navigability could be better and the features could yet be more accessible and easier to use. Other than that, I don't have any other "complaints" about Blackboard Learn. I may mention that in the beginning of the pandemic, with the introduction of online classes, this software was a life-saver and my institution needed to contact the support team, who was very responsive and agile to solve all the issues at that time.

Arturo L.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Your new classroom (digital)

The experience that Blackboard gives you is satisfactory since several other platforms, its management system between courses, and the power to upload files or open documents that teachers upload to their respective courses, are not as easy to do as in blackboard, since the software is very friendly for students like us and makes it not cost us work in performing all its functions that it gives us.

Pros

Being still a student, I love the ease with which I can move within the interface and change courses because if you have several subjects, you can easily locate them and see the content very easily. Inside the software, you can see practically everything as if it were a classroom since you can hold virtual meetings, see your content/tasks to do, see your final grades, take your final exams, etc. It is a platform that stands out for its excellence in education since the page rarely crashes or presents some difficulties.

Cons

It may be difficult at first to navigate through the different menus/pages/courses because the platform does not give us that simply look the first time we see it, as unlike its competitors in the market, this one has a slightly less friendly view. But it is rescued if for example our school/university gives us within Blackboard a small tutorial on the essentials you should know about this software. But honestly, I do not see many cons to Blackboard because it is a platform that gives us what we are looking for and that is why it is one of the top e-learning software.

Luis Carlos C.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Does the job and has everything you need

I like that it does a little bit of everything. Some other professors at my university liked to rely on BB Learn for everything, including video-conference and online exams. Being as feature rich as it is, BB Learn has the problem that the user interface might be very challenging for some people. I guess you either really like it or really don't, so when it doesn't click you can get frustrated by a lot of things. Still, for the people loving it, they will make the most out of it. One of the best tools out there. Easy to recommend for general purposes.

Pros

I like that if you're a power user and your students get into it, this is probably the only eLearning tool you will ever need. It has everything from homework assignments to actual video-conference; besides of the usual tools like forums and work groups. The online exams are very useful, specially if you don't want to manually grade tons and tons of tests.

Cons

I don't like the user interface. Most of the tools are one more click away than I think they should. Very useful things like the exams are really powerful, but creating them is so awkward that sometimes you prefer to just handle a document.

LM

Lee M.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

BLACKBOARD LEARN – you don’t know how good something is until it’s gone!

Blackboard Learn (BBL) was much better than we knew! You don’t always have control over what tools or LMS you have to use, but if you (or someone else) think that you’d prefer a different LMS - BE CAREFUL what you wish for! I loved the Grade Book’s versatility and ability to easily download it for offline management when needed. Also, when we still had BBL (yes, ‘they’ have switched us to a different LMS) I used it for online classes and as an e-Companion to onsite classes. Loading and transferring content and tests was pretty easy. I MISS BBL!

Pros

I found that Blackboard Learn is much easier to use than other online platforms used in higher education. Being able to easily add materials and instructional documents to an online course is critical especially when a department adopts a new edition of a textbook. The quiz/test builder within Blackboard Learn is also quite user friendly and being able to export exams from a previous course and import to a future course is a real time saver!

Cons

The discussion board when entering grades can sometimes be a little confusing, trying to determine if the student is replying to a classmate’s post – especially if the student has not included the classmate’s name in their reply, but that’s really more due to a student not following instructions and not the program.

CB

Cary B.

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

True and Tried (but also Tired)

Please see above :). I've used BB since I was in college (back in the aughts) and regret that my future students at CSUSB will not have access to it moving forward. Even still, I likely won't miss the gradebook, though Canvas' leaves much to desire as well...

Pros

I know it extremely well, find it to be easy to operate, think its features are strong and easily accessible, and have had very few incidents with students being totally baffled by it. We switched to Canvas this year, and I rue the day the decision was made.

Cons

The GUI for our version of Blackboard was extremely dated (we did not use Ultra, which frankly seems like a Canvas clone). I would offer the following analogy... Blackboard : Canvas :: PowerPoint : Keynote (... and I'm a PC user). It's boxy, somewhat drab, and looks a bit 'late Geocities // Fark.com'-era. EVEN STILL: I don't mind it - I'd rather have functionality than aesthetics, which is the tradeoff made with Canvas. DEADLY SERIOUS NOTE HERE: The BB Gradebook has always been, continues to be, and seemingly will forever remain an enormous hassle. It is slow, tedious to adjust, difficult to manage, and user unfriendly.

EC

Eugenio C.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

How a big platform loose the ranking

The mobolebapp is not functional, there is no gamification nor maestries.

Pros

I like the advertisements they did in the past, everyone knew how expensive and famous it was.

Cons

They did not innovate, they both a lot of little competitors and lately they are selling them because that strategy has lost again more innovative platforms and cheaper.

GS

Gerald S.

Design, 501-1,000 employees

Blackboard as a home base for college students

I had a fairly pleasant experience with blackboard, i was able to do much of the tasks I expect to be able to do on an LMS. I just wish that the design interface would be more simple and modern. Also more functionalities and integrations would be nice. Eg: opening a pdf file on blackboard directly instead of a redirection to a page or a pop up

Pros

I like that it is fairly easy to use. Users don’t require extensive training to be able to use the product, and I like that as a student I can upload assignments and get learning modules from the same place, so it is convenient.

Cons

I think the user interface design is a bit outdated. It is less appealing than other LMS such as canvas learn. I also hear a lot of my professors complain about how complicated it is on their side to navigate blackboard due to the repetitiveness and redundancy of blackboard.

BC

Brian C.

Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

CH

Cody H.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Blackboard works well enough, still trying to catch up.

Blackboard works well enough for what we need to use it for. There are other LMS that work equally as well, if not better, so there is healthy competition to push Blackboard to improve.

Pros

Blackboard is a relatively stable platform with few major bugs that restrict users from completing tasks. It has a long history and many users are familiar with the LMS.

Cons

Some of the tools don't always work as smoothly as you'd like. They are making major improvements but there are still issues that come up to make it a cohesive experience and tools not feel as disjointed.

BL

Bret L.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

After over 6 years with BlackBoard, you get used to it

Overall, it gets the job done. Although I have heard that most people like Canvas better.

Pros

I like that I can create quizzes, embed media, create a gradebook, select the language, etc.

Cons

BlackBoard learn can be limited in many ways. For example, you are very limited with modifying the look of the course sites. Also, with assessments, you can give partial credit is a students gets the answer partially correct on a fill-in-the-blank assessment. I also don't like how it organizes the grades the students can see.

KK

Kayla K.

Biotechnology, self-employed

BlackBoard as a student

It's super easy to navigate and find all your resources on. It's well organized and I love it.

Pros

I really like using blackboard. It is a lot better than other programs I've had to learn for school. It is super easy to navigate. You can find all your assignments there. There's a calendar to make when assignments are due. My favorite part I think, is the fact that you can email another student through blackboard. So if you are doing a project and you've never met your partner, or don't have their information, you can email them through blackboard.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.