AutoCAD Reviews

Pros

The AutoCAD is very good to be used for many industries like construction and industrial / manufacturing process as well, good for beginners and professional level as well.

I use this program all of the time because their Features are awesome powerful tool and easy for professional and beginners.

ZK

Zeshan K.

It is the most accessible CAD software to date with lots of documentation and a great and responsive community. Very user friendly and a well designed interface.

Cons

Sometimes the user interface becomes annoying, file can get very big and may crash the computer, drawings can get corrupt.

BM

Betty M.

It is frustrating when in the AutoCAD updates over the years that the interface has changed so much that it makes it hard to adjust and find things.

JB

Jessica B.

I use AutoCAD for all my 2D draughting and presentations and it is yet to fail me. However, I leave the 3D modeling in this software for the trained and more experienced folk.

RH

Structural Engineer

Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees

AutoCAD For Drawings

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi there. My name is John. I'm a structural engineer. I give AutoCAD a five out of five. And...

AutoCAD is the De Facto CAD Standard

Transcript

Paul: Hi, I'm Paul and I am a computer specialist and I give AutoCAD a four out of five. For more reviews,...

Drawing for AutoCAD or AutoCAD for Drawing- “AutoCAD is software 3D & 2D, I'm so recommended

AutoCAD is the first modeling software I learnt. it was a bit difficult at first but, i am happy i was patient enough to complete the tutorials because it gave me the solid foundation in 2D sketching which has helped me a lot.

Pros

Ease of use. Allows you to keep the interface the same throughout the years while still adding features. I have been using AutoCAD for over 20 years. It's the only system I would use. AutoCAD is very versatile, and I really like the user's ability to set up their own default environment that can be used for new projects going forward.

Cons

AutoCAD is difficult to learn especially for absolute beginners. also, when working on heavy files, it can be difficult to make changes on the file without the risk of your system lagging or even crashing. the user interface is frustrating but, i hope they review it and make it more interesting for users.

AutoCAD: Jack of all trades, master of none

I briefly used AutoCAD before using Revit for all of my time at university. I then switched to AutoCAD when I started my internship, as they did not have Revit. It really just takes a lot more time to do the same things. For example, I was tasked with drawing up some interior elevations, which I could do in Revit by simply making a section.

Pros

Without AutoCAD, many essential industries in today's world would crumble. It has become such a useful and essential tool in pretty much all design fields. Even when it is not the preferred tool, it works well and can be used effectively.

Cons

Too many people learned this software, and are afraid to switch to much better tools that would save time and money in the longrun. The construction and architecture industry, for example, have Autodesk Revit, which does pretty much everything AutoCAD does and more. AutoCAD is fine, but Revit is just better for this industry.

Autocad, it was my design school.

With autocad I learned to design with a computer, I learned to model, I learned CAD, it was my initial school.

Pros

Working in AutoCAD is much easier than working on paper. We saved a lot of time and it's much simpler than that. Doing it by hand can be tedious and we also have to consider our prolixity when it comes to doing it on a sheet. As Autodesk is launching new versions, they do not change much with respect to the previous ones so that the user does not have to update to something completely unknown. The...

Cons

The main disadvantage is the high cost of the program, since the license costs a few dollars. Knowing how to use the software fully requires a lot of time since there are many functions that are not so well known, and even that they are of little application, since they are very specific. It requires a very powerful computer to work with the latest versions (especially in 3D). At least 2GB of RAM,...

Great Software

My overall experience with CAD has been great! I really don't want to use any other product.

Pros

AutoCAD is great! I often find myself typing commands into regular places like the internet search bar! They're just so easy and useful. I even type them into other products like SketchUp without thinking and then realize, "Oh yeah! Can't do that here." I think once you get into CAD, it becomes integral to your workflow. I don't like any other software for 2D, especially. We also have Land F/X for my office and it is SO GOOD. Wow, so much time saved using AutoCAD and Land F/X.

Cons

The only thing about AutoCAD is that there is a HUGE learning curve but I mean, it's to be expected for a software that can do so much. I think it's pretty reasonable. As well, it can get pricey but again, you're paying for a lot of computing power. They do offer great incentives for students and the like though (it's FREE), so really CAD is very accessible to learn.

AutoCAD Basics (In My Opinion)

Since it is a ubiquitous software used by architects, structural engineers and M.E.P specialists, it gave me the opportunity to collaborate with various individuals from different fields of work and showed me its true versatility throughout these engagements.

Pros

The software is great for producing technical documentation/2D & 3D drawings. It is very user friendly, most people get accustomed to it within a matter of days. It comes with a cool collaborative tool designed to aid in the review process plus you can also store your work on the cloud using the Autodesk drive.

Cons

It allows for only one user to work on one DWG file at a time and also has a rather tedious drawing process that involves a lot of manual calculations, structural analysis, etc.

AutoCAD is the De Facto CAD Standard

I've used AutoCAD for over 30 years. It's the CAD tool of choice to learn and use in the Architectural industry.

Pros

I like the most about AutoCAD is that the program is 100% customizable. End user can change the user interface and build custom apps using AutoLISP / Visual Lisp or .NET to aid in missing features/commands.

Cons

I like least about AutoCAD is that the end user has to consistently use the program otherwise it's very easy to forget all the many command functions provided.

AutoCAD is the the easiest CAD program to implement

I have been using AutoCAD for more than 2 years now, and used it a lot to represent hydraulics for some buildings we implemented our pump solutions.

Pros

The nicest thing about AutoCAD, if your business still doesn't use it you'r late, is the digital transformation of project design every change and progress in the project is way faster than in paper, besides the fact that is super easy and intuitive to learn how to use it.

Cons

The drawings in AutoCAD are made only by lines and lacks parametric objects to its design and it's only helpfull for the drawings, it doesn't have materials selection and beam simulation. Also you need a powerful computer for it.

Autocad a software evert design and civil engineer need

Most big business where related to R&D NPI and other innovation development should have this software. This software can easily make the employee a great contributor for the ompany.

Pros

Customizable and multidirectional high end software. Every engineer should have it.

Cons

Complex software. Learning tutorial using AI will help general public to understand ease of use and importance of the software.

Autocad the best option

Almost all our computers can run AutoCad without problems, so we have not had problems with projects .

Pros

I like autocad because is easier to install than other programs. And when I have given support, all users don't have problem with commands.

Cons

I don't like resource consumption on the pc, but it's normal if you have a computer with low features.

AutoCAD is nice software 3D & 2D, I'm so recommended this software.

overall is nicely perfect, all tool is useful.

Pros

this software has performance nice perfectly, not required for high-end hardware PC, low-end can use this software.

Cons

I'm just not like the price of this software, so expensive. if you beginner want subscription this software it makes your money finished.

Autocad is the drawing board, it's up to the designer to show more creativity

Since I started my career as an engineer, I have always or almost always used Autocad as a work tool. I must say that in the engineering environment that I lived, we only spoke the AutoCAD language.

Pros

You can do almost everything with Autocad, from the simple sketch of a room to the plan of a project without making a distinction if it is electricity, building or civil engineering. If we master the integration of georeferenced images we can even speak of GIS. I said "if we master" because in autocad we have everything we need to make our project emerge, but we need the appropriate users. It is absolutely...

Cons

Autocad is a tool that adapts to all situations but which requires a continuous investment in self-training. You have to learn good habits and ask the right questions knowing that it always offers the right answers. This requires either hard-working designers or knowledgeable supervision.

Pros and cons of AutoCAD

Most design studios are still relying on AutoCAD, and even if other programs (e.g. Revit) are appearing in studios, it does not mean elimination of CAD applications. Even when design offices boast that they model fully in 3D (including BIM), in fact, AutoCAD still plays a supporting role, and in some areas it may be the other way around, and it is AutoCAD that dominates as a proven and fast tool for drawing details. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Pros

The advantages of the program include, first of all, a large number of created tools, thanks to which it is possible to design various, arbitrary elements. Thanks to the extensive library of materials, which is available to the users of the program, it is possible to select such materials and textures, which are characteristic for a particular design department (e.g. architecture and construction)....

Cons

Cons: The program takes up a lot of disk space and is quite expensive.

If you can imagine it, AutoCAD can draw it!

I have been using AutoCAD for more than 8 years. I have used it for CAD modeling, drafting, building design and construction detailing. I and my company has always used this program for any construction-related work. We have been using it as step one for creating a base model to be used in the Building Information Modelling process. We use it to develop Revit Model. Use it in Civil 3D for civil design. AutoCAD has always supported our needs.

Pros

The freedom that AutoCAD gives you is one of the most important. If I can imagine any drawing/component/part in my head, then AutoCAD can draw it. There is no more easy explanation for it. AutoCAD is the most versatile and compatible software for any engineering problem. It works with Revit, it works with Bentley Suite, it works with Google package, it works with almost all software. AutoCAD is a basic building blocks for drafting, design and engineering analysis.

Cons

AutoCAD does not provide full Building Information Modelling compatibility. Its content has only Geometric properties. It does not provide full parametric modeling and add a material characteristic to the model. It is simply a program that draws stuff. No intelligent modeling.

AutoCAD is very easy to use!

First time I got introduced to AutoCAD it was in high school, second grade. Since I went to high school which is specialized for training construction workers I have used many software's for drawing and one of them was AutoCAD, which I found very easy to use. I used it for 2 years in that period of life and it was very amusing for me to find something like that to ease my handwriting , drawing and...

Pros

Accuracy and precision with really ease of use, that is exactly what AutoCAD is. With just computer mouse function and a little bit of keyboard usage the things you can draw without holding a pencil and without any need for all that drawing and drafting equipment on your table. Any kind of 2D drawings or 3D modeling drawings you can draw with AutoCAD, which helps you to visualize the objects better...

Cons

Some add-ons might be hard to install, but not necessarily. File transferring sometimes can be a little difficult especially if files sizes are bigger and because of that sometimes you won't be able to load some of the received documents, so you will have to find a fix for that, but still I did not have many problems of that kind or any other. One more information that could be useful is that AutoCad's files only can be opened with its own extension which is DWG ( I don't know is that a problem for some users or not, but there it is, truth is out there).

Industry Leader with a Legacy

For all its foibles and annoyances Autocad still offers a comprehensive design and drafting solutions for an amazing array of applications. I have had a love/hate with Autocad over the years dealing with its growing pains and Autodesks struggle to meet the many and varied needs of its users. For large scale projects there is still very few products that have the extensibility of Autocad to integrate into modern company quality, workflow and project management systems.

Pros

Autocad was the first CAD program I ever used. To give you an idea of the time period, it was before MS Windows existed and we did not have mice! Thus, using Autocad under DOS was all about command line input and scripts. This aspect of Autocad remains unchanged today. There is a huge array of scripts, tools and add-ons for almost every niche application you could imagine. Autocad is essentially the...

Cons

Autocad suffers from the same issues as does Microsoft Windows. When you have a large long term user base it's hard to innovate without upsetting users who have settled on a certain workflow or script integration. This has left Autocad lagging behind its competition in terms of modelling capability and performance. I find myself using other packages to create 3D models, then exporting the 2D drawings back into Autocad for final drafting and client distribution. Part of the issue is also crossover with products like Inventor and Fusion360. Autocad cannot become too parametrically driven or it will undermine Autodesks other offerings.

AutoCAD Review as a Engineering Undergraduate and a Young Engineer

AutoCAD is tough to pick up and learn, however, this can be said for any modeling software with such immense capabilities. This being said, AutoCAD is my favorite modeling software to use as I have been able to play around with it during college and throughout my internship. I have modeled small buildings to planes, and will continue to use AutoCAD as I believe it is the best modeling software.

Pros

With AutoCAD, your mind is the limit for what you can draw, simulate, and model! As an engineering student I used AutoCAD in a couple of my classes to create anything ranging from simple pieces of equipment to an entire Iron Man helmet (I would like to note that making the Iron Man Helmet took a very long time). The precision with AutoCAD always memorizes me, as you can make models that look real within the program. I have used AutoCAD for a few years now (throughout college and through my engineering internships) and still feel as if I have scratched the surface on the immense capabilities of AutoCAD. I highly recommend AutoCAD for any creative person that is looking to get into modeling or any company that is looking to improve their equipment drawings.

Cons

I would definitely have to say that AutoCAD has been one of the more difficult software to pick up and learn (take this with a grain of salt though as all modeling software are typically very difficult to learn). AutoCAD provides many tutorials to help you get started, however, these can only take you so far. To become proficient with AutoCAD you need many hours dedicated to playing around with AutoCAD and watching other tutorials. Once you have gotten good at using AutoCAD, you will be able to create almost anything with ease. One last thing to note is that it can be tough to find what exact button you are looking for with the current interface. Other than that, I highly recommend AutoCAD.

AutoCAD- A powerful tool for drawing and modelling

Work with AutoCAD begins at the conception stage (conceptual design, schematics, design development) through to construction (good for construction and as-built drawings) and completion. I have been using AutoCAD for the last ten years and honestly, I would not trade this software for any other. Our company uses AutoCAD for drafting two-dimensional layouts, editing, developing 3D models as well as...

Pros

There is no limit to what can be produced with AutoCAD, from architecture, product design, and landscape drawings, from the tiniest to scales to the largest. As an Architect, I feel that mastering this software has been an indispensable skill, and I will be using it for many many years to come. Once you get a hang of it, developing layouts is simple, with a customizable interface and menus. I especially...

Cons

The price tag associated with AutoCAD is steep, considering designers, architects, and engineers, all use it perpetually. To function without major glitches such as screen freeze, slow processing speed the software needs system rich in memory and RAM. A few commands like Trim and Hatch function slowly if your computer is (in my case) old or short on available RAM. For new users, the entire interface...

AutoCAD review

Has revolutionized virtually every engineering field in existence, and even almost single-handedly created an entire new industry: the CAD draftsman. Every draftsman must spend significant time and training specifying a field, but computer drafting is now virtually a career unto itself, almost secondary to the industry it supports. It is and always will be an imperfect tool, but is incredibly powerful and indispensable. There are other worthy competitors... but AutoCAD is the most widespread, and the best.

Pros

It is the industry standard - that alone counts for a lot, even though that means we're all contributing to its unofficial monopoly. Extremely powerful, customizeable, available in several specialized versions. It takes a while to learn the extents of what it can do - but that's not a negative, just a byproduct of its complexity. Learning the basics is fairly quick and easy, thanks to its intuitive setup, which has improved over the years.

Cons

Well known to be prone to frequent or at least unexpected crashes. Any seasoned AutoCAD user is well-trained to save work constantly. One brilliant tool Autodesk employed to help combat this is to save data across several separate files for any one drawing/project - that way if one of them becomes corrupt, it can be diagnosed, excised, and hopefully recreated. But again, any experienced user is accustomed...

Versatility mixed with complexity.

As complex as AutoCad is, learning how to use it is a very rewarding experience when you start to achieve sleek designs. Even though it takes time, I cannot really state that my experience is a negative one, for the contrary, the more I learn, the more excited I get. AutoCad's difficulty is very well balanced out with the quality you are able to achieve within the software, and the wide possibilities it offers. Becoming an expert is a must have for many fields, it will surely open many doors.

Pros

To state an opinion of AutoCad being as objective as you can is clearly a challenge, because it is very versatile software, with distinctive functionalities that adapt to many industries, but I will give it a try: AutoCad has one of the most extensive tools set you can imagine, that allows to draft in a logical sense almost anything you could imagine through the space of your ‘canvas’. From package...

Cons

AutoCad is a very complex software, and learning how to use it is not precisely an easy task, sometimes just exploring the tools is not enough. I needed to do a few courses before I was able to get a grasp of it, and I am still far from being an expert. You usually adapt your learning curve towards what you are looking to do, since there is not necessarily a unique way to approach your designs, and...

Industry Standard for Drafting and Designing

As I use AutoCAD on a near-daily basis in the engineering field, it has become a tool that is second-nature while drafting and designing. While AutoCAD is an extremely effective tool to help designers and drafters to create drawings that look great and are easy to manipulate, it can struggle to handle heavy project workload with many 3-dimensional objects in one drawing; if you are able to plan and predict what a project will entail, you can plan your drawings accordingly to make sure that there isn't too much content in a single drawing which seems to cause this issue. As a leading tool for engineers, AutoCAD remains an excellent software for drafting and designing.

Pros

AutoCAD is a great drafting tool that has some great built-in functions to assist the designer in efficiently designing and drafting engineering projects. The customization in AutoCAD allows for great consistency in drafting by having custom uniform text, styles, and general features (such as pipe networks, pressure networks, and profiles to name a few), though this customization can also be a detriment...

Cons

Though AutoCAD offers some very useful tools, some of these tools are complex and there can be a steep learning curve for new users. The bulk of the issues encountered while using AutoCAD seem to happen on larger complex projects. For larger-scale projects where many different drawings and objects are referenced together, it is important for the user to understand efficient ways to link drawings and...

I have used Autocad more than 6 years

Pros

As a Cad Draftsman and 3d Designer, I have worked with Autocad in most of the time. It is useful for me to finish my deadline projects, save me a lot of time with the Sheet Set Manager function. When I didn't know about this function, I spent a lot of time to print the drawing files for my company, that's silly of me. I also love the Dynamic block, I really love it. If you didn't know about this Dynamic...

Cons

My biggest problem with Autocad is Dimension function in Layout. When I did dimension in layout, the value was often changed automatically, for example from 250mm to 250,000mm. I didn't know why? I tried to many times to find out the reason, but I didn't succeed. Many people have the same problem like me. We really got stuck. If someone knows how to solve it, please tell me, I really appreciate it. The other problem is print in Model. When I need to print multi-drawing in Model I have to use a script, the Sheet Set Manager only works with Layout.

My experience using autocad has been nice. I like the software

The benefits that I obtained with this software was the development of architectural projects in a short time. With good appearance and better image when I'm going to present it to clients.and not only use it for architecture but for my daily tasks, make drawings, figures for my friends, to cut and print graphic design forms. A few days ago I was teaching two people to make lines, polygons, curves...

Pros

I feel good exploring the tools of the program. Currently I like to use the PlotPDF tool that converts the pdf into lines and makes the drawings can be drawn in a more comfortable way. I am an architect and I recommend the program to all the people who work with me.

Cons

What I do not like about the program is that in each new version I do not know the added functions. The autodesk company should have an indicator with notifications indicating the new tools and commands that were added. In addition to that the steps to test the new commands. I would like to start a new version of AutoCAD with new tools notifications and view sample videos within the model.

AutoCAD is one of the best softwares I've used in my activities as an architecture student and works

Pros

The main pro about this software is its precision on drawings, models and any architectural, engineering, urban, mechanical and other kind of projects you need to make on it. You can use it on many work fields due to its versatility and operativity. Another thing that I love about this software is that you can work with archives of another softwares by only importing them, and you can export on...

Cons

One of the things I like least about this software is the fact that its interface is a little bit confusing sometimes, and it could be complex too if you misconfigure it; even though there are configuration buttons, sometimes they are confusing or they hide another things and drives you to desperation on how to find some things. So, my recommendation to the software programmers or developers is that they must find a way to make things a bit easier to the users in that matter.

Excellent software, I have used it in engineering and architecture for designs, plans and images 2D

The benefits I have received with this software have been: Being an engineer, he worked in the engineering area, especially in the area of civil engineering and architecture; I am dedicated, mostly to elaborate housing plans, as well as land location. It saves me a lot of time, because it allows to make modifications before printing, which I could not do manually, also, when the floor plans are the...

Pros

The experience I have with the Autocad is with the preparation of floor plans, facades and housing location. It has been very easy to handle with geometric figures, lines, arcs, circles, triangles; also allows to change the thickness, lengthen or cut the lines or edges of the figures, fill figures with solid colors or textures. It allows me to make the plans on a scale and print it with another scale...

Cons

From this software it is difficult for me to work with different windows, and to select the printing area, for that I adjust the properties of the printer, which makes the printing slower. In addition, I find it difficult to work in three-dimensional planes. In this case, I make two plans one of the floor and another with cuts that show the heights of the walls or facades. It requires computers and monitors with higher requirements, for large plans plotters are needed; however, the plans can be adjusted to small printers, but the letters and numbers are so small that anyone can not read them.

AutoCad the most evolved software for Computer Aided Drawing

Through AutoCAD I was able to load data in a GIS by exporting the DWG files, drawings that were made in 1990 but have not been updated and that were required as a cartographic basis for updating the cartography of the small cities of Venezuela. From this process I have been able to make risk mitigation proposals, based on the unmodified topography of the time, they remain in force and that nowadays,...

Pros

It presents a versatile interface that allows users to adapt the menu bars to their most frequent uses, since in AutoCAD converge engineers, geographers, surveyors, surveyors, architects, interior designers, graphic designers, artists of computer animation, among others as well as the respective students and professors of the mentioned areas. Over the years they have improved the drawing commands and...

Cons

The 3D interface that offers a lot of similarity to the animation programs consumes a lot of graphic memory, the resources of the PC are compromised in the 3D files that have a lot of detail. Autocad does not work on open source operating systems, it only deploys on Windows and MAC. The users must know the fundamentals of pluggins, topology and scale, otherwise they will invest many hours in solving...