Onshape Reviews

User ratings

4.5

• Likelihood to recommend8.99/10

See full reviews by rating

Murilo A.

FW

Florian W.

The stability of the software has been flawless, with minor hiccups being rapidly fixed by the outstanding customer support team.

JH

Jordan H.

Lack of offline caching causes Models to need to be reloaded when experiencing poor network coverage such as riding down the interstate while working on a customer design.

MB

Matthew B.

Printing is a bit of a pain; gotta export / download file and then print.

CG

Christopher G.

It is training and support that differentiates competitors. Onshape training is totally inadequate in my experience.

PB

Peter B.

Onshape users...

How would you rate Onshape?

As advertised, Google Docs for 3D design.

Transcript

Andrew D.: My name's Andrew, I'm a high school teacher and I'd give Onshape five out of five stars. What...

Great software for 3D printers hobbyist

We can find easier tools on the internet like Tinkercad, but Onshape can deliver much more, like a professional and expensive tools can deliver, but you get it for free, you just need to spend a little time learning how to use it, but this time learning is very well paid off.

Pros

During this pandemic period I bought a 3D printer and started using it printing mainly already defined and available 3D models on the internet. Then I realized that I could myself produce my own 3D models and I found on Onshape the perfect tool for it. It also has great features that allows you to produce perfect models.

Cons

At the beginning Onshape seems complicated to use, but it is not, you just need to watch on Youtube some tutorials to start modeling your own 3D models. Anyway I can not complain about this tool, as the free version delivers what I need and much more.

As advertised, Google Docs for 3D design.

Went to Onshape from Autodesk Inventor out of necessity when school switched to remote learning, probably not going to go back. Onshape does nearly everything students would do in Inventor, but they can now access the program anywhere, whereas we only have one computer lab with Inventor. The only thing Inventor has over Onshape is the interactive tutorials that walk students through basic features within the software. Tutorial videos from OnShape aren't really the same, and ability to work offline would also be nice.

Pros

When students share their document with me I can view the document history to make sure it was that student who did all the work or keep track of who did what in a group project. I can help students remotely by making live changes to their document regardless of if it is a part studio or an assembly. We can voice or video chat while we both look live at the same document.

Cons

There is no way to do contact sets, which can make some assemblies not behave the way I would like. Additional joints can be a work-around in some cases, but not all. A way for parts to interact with each other would be a significant upgrade.

Few Issues but great for Free CAD learning experience

Pros

I have been using Onshape for a while and for one of my Senior Graduate class project, I sued Onshape to help new CAD students get some experience as well. It is definitely a very popular online CAD program among many Mechanical Engineering students. It definitely cannot beat Solidworks in terms of ease of use but I would recommend it for following reasons - Its FREE to use Why not get your feet wet...

Cons

This software has some cons which is not a dealbreaker bit definitely something to keep an eye out for, - Crashes During my project and online use it did crash on me multiple times. Refreshing the page helped but sometimes I did have to start a new project. - Almost as good as Solidworks but not quite If i were to compare it I would say it is 70% as good as solidworks - Has it's own terminologies Onshape has it's own features and terminologies which one has to be accustomed to. Onshape does provide online lot of documents and vocabularies so if you have time to spend reading that, it is not that bad.

What more could you ask for?

I love Onshape. I now use it exclusively for all my 3D printing projects because of its accessibility. And it's free!

Pros

a browser based CAD program? Super convenient! Especially when working on Linux where other software packages are unavailable. I find that Onshape has all the features and functionality I've ever needed, and the best part is I don't have to take up space on my computer with expensive software!

Cons

Sometimes the features are a bit tricky to find and use. I often have to google and look through forums to figure out how to accomplish a particular design.

Amazing Cloud Based CAD Tool

I have designed machine parts in Onshape that went on to be 3D printed.

Pros

It is cloud based! The fact that you do not require a high performance computer to use Onshape effectively is a huge win. Allows you to design even on smart mobile devices. Sharing design with others is relatively easy. No risk of crashes. Very easy to learn and use even for someone new to Computer Aided Design. It allows users to use pre-existing parts in their designs or assemblies.

Cons

I anticipate the inclusion of 3D sketching capabilities in up coming updates. Yes it requires the internet to use, this doesn't really favour usage in regions where there's no or poor internet connection.

Great Software for 3D Parametric CAD and Easily Accessible

Overall, using OnShape has been a walk in the park. The user experience of it was fluid, even on a 6 year old Macbook Pro on base specs, not something I could say about Solidworks or AutoCAD. It is fully featured and not having to worry about files, using the built-in cloud integration is great. I would not hesitate to recommend OnShape to anyone interested in picking up CAD or even small CAD shops.

Pros

Coming into the 3D printing world as a student hobbyist, OnShape was a wonderful introduction to 3D CAD and modeling concepts. It was easy and intuitive to pick up (without an engineering degree), and their instructions videos detailed all the primary features you will need. I am by no means a CAD or engineering professional, so I speak to this software from purely a hobbyist and 3D printing nerd standpoint....

Cons

The hardest part about the software was being able to find other people who used it to teach you about it. Being rather new to the CAD scene, OnShape does have as widespread ​adoption as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, so being able to find others who used it was challenging. Ultimately though, with the decent amount of support documentation detailing the features and some very helpful forum posts, the lack of user experiences could be overlooked. The interface and usage is also quite different from the traditional CAD's was also a bit of a challenge, if you eventually find yourself migrating or using one from time to time. The lack of private projects with free accounts is also a bummer, but not a major issue by any means.

One of the best designing software's you can use for your company or freelancing

The benefits is that it is not expensive, and the fact that one project with its different parts all combined into one file is something that I really like about the software. That really helps to access drawings much easier for a certain part that you want.

Pros

The best thing is that the software is not complicated to learn and with the tutorial vids that are available on the website makes it easier to learn. As well as the supporting team which is always available to respond to the questions is one of the outstanding things someone can get from the service they are paying for.

Cons

There are still some features that I feel like the company has to still work on, like having more options if you want to mate parts in an assembly. As well as making it much more easier to automatically change parts that have been created in-context of the parts you are working on. But with time I still believe this can be the best designing software.

Instant CAD functionality presented in a brand new way!

OnShape has helped me to do designs of my ideas right where I am, no matter if the computer has CAD installed or not. It has enabled me to keep all my CAD files in one place and always accessible. I have been able to present designs to clients and keep them posted of progress in much easier ways that traditional CAD allows. I would highly recommend OnShape to anyone who is looking for a fresh idea in their CAD sphere.

Pros

What I like the most about OnShape is that it is based in the cloud. It is so convenient that I don't have to install an application on my computer to use it, but rather, it just works. OnShape has taken the idea of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and given an entirely new spin to it, introducing unique ways of performing mates (which I love), as well as integral versioning of parts. The mobile app is also amazing and makes life so much easier!

Cons

As with any cloud platform, if your bandwidth is not great, you're going to have a bad time. The platform tends to lag at high internet usage times in my area, but not too much to complain about. I also found it difficult to use the platform the first few times due to the lack of built in tutorials.

Versatile and unencumbered

Fantastic versatility. I never wait more than an hour when I post a question to the forum. Other users are so eager to help.

Pros

I can run this on a $249 Chromebook, and do. It displays equally well on phones and tablets. I also very much like the fact there is no installation and the software is always up to date (because there is not software). When I need to share CAD data with customers, not it's no worry now as I share a link and they instantly have whatever information I wish to share, right in their browser. How many times does a design take a big turn, or the operator breaks some thing severely? I adore the fact I can go back in time to my very first sketch either backing up to a known good design or branching off with an alt. design.

Cons

Missing CAM which is slowly becoming standard in 3D CAD systems.

Parametric design software with unending possibilities

I used onshape to design in a competition organized by my department in school. I had a nice experience using this software as it opens me to a new way of parametric designing.

Pros

Onshape has a lot of features like the traditional modeling softwares which makes modeling of complex design easy for a web based software. I personally like the way their tutorials are structured for different levels; basic, advance and experts. That way of learning will be more fun since they won't be bombarding you with advance stuffs which can be boring for beginners.

Cons

There is no feature for 3D sketching which slows down modeling of complex geometries. It needs internet to work which could be really frustrating in conditions and areas where internet connection is unstable or not available

I am a consulting mechanical product designer with almost 25 years experience.

I try and get my clients to migrate to Onshape all of the time. The benefits I get from the software are too many to list, but some of my favorites: No dedicated computer or server required Built-in PDM system Onshape always saves all of my work, all the time.

Pros

The best thing about Onshape is that you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. There is nothing to install, no "versions" to contend with, and I never lose my work because the software crashes. Onshape is very intuitive for those coming from other 3D CAD packages, there are just a few work flow learning curves, (working with part studios) but other than that, very easy...

Cons

The only con I can really think of would be it's limitations through the past, but this is to be expected of a brand new software program. Not having the ability to develop sheet metal parts in the beginning was rough, but I also have to say, when Onshape does deliver on what is lacking, it's always above and beyond my expectations.

Has the possibility to be the new CAD paradigm like SolidWorks was back in 96 when I left 2D CAD

No real benefits yet, but hopeful.

Pros

Support is responsive, pricing is fine, love the 'pay by the use' subscription format for advanced features seldom used like FEA. Will be a great all around CAD platform for small flexible companies like ours when its fully featured. I'm very interested in seeing what CAD designed without 20 years of baggage will look like when OnShape is mature. For the amateur, hobbyist, and students; Onshape...

Cons

OnShape is not quite ready for us to use on our bigger projects. Like watching the Matrix movies I'm dying to figure out how they keep 'branches' and the current 'versioning' paradigms and also allow part and assembly configurations that should not require an exact linear history. I really hope they do better than the Matrix movies in closing the loop. If they were more open about when we could...

Very happy with this modern cloud based solution with 5 stars customer support!

Cost effective modern cloud based solution that is efficient, powerful and secure.

Pros

OnShape is a simple-to-use yet powerful parametric modern cloud based software that allows me to collaborate easily with my team. Forget about heavy and expensive CAD work station. I've been most of all my mechanical design on a MacBook Air in Safari. As a frequent traveler, I can access and work on my model on any computer as long as there's reasonable internet connection and google chrome. The...

Cons

The only issue I have is offline access to the models I have OnShape. OnShape does provide the option of exporting models into numerous formats so that you could open them with conventional non-cloud based software. However, I still have trouble opening them with common software like eDrawings. Ultimate, I would prefer to have an OnShape software on my computer that could sync the data I would like to view whenever I go offline. This is important, as I don't always have an internet connection when I need to present my models to my client when traveling overseas. So it'd be great if OnShape could look at better view-only offline support. Where I can view a read-only model and jot down comments. When I'm back online, I can edit it on my browser.

Onshape is a good fit for me and my startup. It was not a good fit when I tried at a larger company.

I think I laid out most of the benefits previously. It's an excellent CAD tool that fits the needs of my startup. In the future, I'm excited to see how the product adapts to a changing market. Are drawings going to continue to be the golden standard of conveying information? If so, I would hope that you continue to develop drawings, as they are less robust than other drawing solutions on the market...

Pros

I really love how fast I can put my assemblies together with fasten mates. I really love not having to fix broken relations, or deal with other horrible manifestations of Dassault Enterprise PDM. Having a git-like structure has a learning curve, but it much easier to manage. In Onshape, things generally behave the way I expect them to. This may seem a little straightforward, but it's amazing how...

Cons

Needing to have internet access when I use it! Sometimes I just have a few minutes between here and there, or want to be able to work from a cafe. With software, I can just commit as I go and push when it's convenient. I understand why Onshape needs constant internet access to function, but it's occasionally a pain. Performance has occasionally been an issue. I'm mostly using two different beefy workstation...

As a 3D printing professional I found Onshape delivered everything promised and more.

The ability to design and produce complex 3D printed objects that fit together perfectly. Also the ability to visualize assemblies and make modifications before they are produced. I also found it indispensable in producing exploded diagrams and parts catalogues. Overall the software is an essential tool for product development, from initial concept to finished product.

Pros

I gave it 4/5 for ease of use but only because there is an initial learning curve to figure out what all the buttons do. After that, the sky is the limit. The software is Fast, easy to use and once you get the hang of it very intuitive. Complex shapes, such as screw threads, are straight forward to produce. The key is just to know what you want to make, and once you get that clear in your own head,...

Cons

No real cons that I can think of, other than the initial learning curve as already mentioned. But that said, Onshape's own documentation and user forums are excellent, so there are no real problems to report. Only improvement I could think of is to suggest you get a 3D connexion mouse to compliment the software and use it to its full potential.

Onshape is my 5th and final 3D CAD package - I have arrived!

I spend much less time achieving much more, more reliably than before I found Onshape!

Pros

The (deceptively) simple, very powerful user interface Amazing, multi-part part studios The reliabity of the software and the way it "just works" Being better suited to woodworking than anything else I am aware of Being able to pick up on a design at home after work without having done ANYTHING Quality, speed and pleasantness of support! The problem being keeping up with releases rather than...

Cons

No internet = no CAD (but not actually been a problem yet!) The lack of configurations (as yet) The lack of any visual representation of materials in the workspace beyond colour and transparancy (wood, metal, glass, plastic re: SW or inventor) The way variables (parameters) are managed (looking forward to what is coming but this one has felt like a long wait)

Hi Nick! Thanks for your feedback as always. I'm excited to see how you enjoy our upcoming releases! Please keep me posted if you need anything in the meantime.

Exciting start to real cloud CAD

Relatively low cost of ownership thanks to the subscription model and the modest hardware requirement. Once learnt the system is faster to use than our previous CAD.

Pros

The new ways of working that the marketing talk pushes so hard really do have some significant advantages. The integrated version control is brilliant - unlimited undo, branching, merging and visual differencing. Real time collaboration works well but persuading suppliers to adopt a new process can be tricky. The subscription model of both licensing and software updates works well for us. One of the...

Cons

Some feature sets are more developed than others. Drawings are still improving - quite a few 'manual' tools that you'd be used to from other packages are not yet available. For me the lack of 'configurations' is frustrating but I can see this ultimately being integrated with the versioning system and being awesome.

The intelligence and insight behind the big picture structure of Onshape is astounding.

Sanity. I'm not kidding. Having the creative process constantly halted by CAD and OS bugs that never get fixed, some for decades was constant. I started using Onshape really seriously while on holiday in the back country of France when a licensee stopped paying their royalty and I had to redesign the product for production. The internet was very slow, but I got all the work done and quotes were all done before I got back home. I had all my files and all I needed to do that work in my MacbookPro, and my holiday was just as enjoyable as normal.

Pros

The underlying philosophy and structure allows unprecidented freedom to develop and record creative ideas. Pretty well everything can be captured by the built-in version system, while allowing you to return occasionally to ideas that weren't so bad after all. Support is rapid, even from Australia, and new feature requests get answered - in weeks! The interface is cleaner, more logically grouped and simpler than any CAD I've seen over the last 40 years. It often makes me smile and almost never makes me swear. And that is a delightful reversal of normal for me.

Cons

Some commands are hard to find. Searching help through key words can be unhelpful. The feature set is naturally not quite as complete as older CAD systems.

Great customer support

Onshape is really nice for working on a project with other people because of the realtime edits you can do. It is kind of like a google doc where everyone can be there working and changing things. It has worked really well in our little startup group.

Pros

There are three things that I have really enjoyed with Onshape. I love that it is cloud based. No more having to save, or worry about losing anything. I also love using is the versions tree. This helps a lot in design to be able to make different versions and compare them easily and quickly. Lastly, their customer service has been spot on. Their team checks in on us regularly to make sure we are doing okay and I have been able to easily schedule a time with someone to help me build a part that I am struggling to build. They are very patient and willing to help in any way.

Cons

The surfacing still has a ways to go, but has been improving over the last year, so I expect it to provide most any feature needed. The only other complaint is the multiple selection feature. Instead of using shift or control to select multiple items, it is set so you can just click anything and it adds it to the selection group(without pressing any other button). While this might sound nice, it gets really annoying and you end up selecting multiple features/parts/items without wanting to.

Onshape makes life easy

Pros

Infinite computing, makes it possible to work from anywhere and model quickly, even from my iPad or netbook. The lofting feature blows other CAD systems out of the water. Seriously the loft feature you have now is unbelievably good. The "git" style versioning is genius. I never worry about loosing work, breaking assemblies, etc. The versioning in Onshape is my favorite feature IN ANY SOFTWARE....

Cons

Adobe Illustrator polylines, DXF and DWG import/ingest needs major improvement. Going from Illustrator to Onshape is kind of a pain in the butt right now. So many designs come from Illustrator or EPS, and being able to digest polylines would be so great. Google font support in the text tool would also be helpful. Only 5 fonts or so are available now which is very limited.

A new approach to CAD

Pros

The one thing you won't need when using Onshape is that foam ball to squeeze or throw through the room. Every CAx user usually has one. This is because Onshape is so portable, stable and reliable. It is a solid solid modeler with some very thought through features that are tested with the community before deploying it into the wild. The integrated PDM is something you will never get for the same cost from others.

Cons

It is first and foremost a solid modeling CAD. Don't expect electrical, piping, and complex bspline surfaces. The integrated app store will make up for that.

I have done a lot with the OnShape tool, more than I was able to with ProE Creo.

I had the opportunity to investigate some complex design issues, and try out some solutions, though I have not finished yet. I had tried this in ProE, but I found it too hard to use, and the software update issues were beyond painful...

Pros

Ease of use, and the interaction with the developers. The training webinars, and interest in helping the users. The ability to make user features is really interesting, and I have used is some. I am still learning...but it has been very positive experience so far. The integrated versioning tools are also quite helpful, and well thought out. I was using the tool almost daily, but lately, conflicting work has taken me away...have to get back.

Cons

My machines use chains, and the tools inability to deal with those, especially in an assembly, is problematic. Parts that move in 3-space when the chains move, is key also. I tweaked a pulley example, that works partially in a part window, but then disappears in the assembly. Sprockets and chain details - I have not incorporated...but those still do not move the sprockets. Also, part of the machines...

Onshape changed the way we do design, interact with customers, and saves us quite a bit of money

Flexibility. We can turn licenses on and off as needed, without having to go through painful installation procedures. If we need other capabilities (such as simulation, rendering, or math tools) that Onshape does not have built in, we can add apps that make it even more powerful.

Pros

The browser-based nature of Onshape and sharing capabilities are great strengths. We can share designs with infinitely varying levels of permissions from full editing and sharing to view only in anyone's browser. This means that instead of having one person with a clunky laptop during a design review, anyone can bring up the full assemblies and / or piece parts on whatever device they bring...including their phones. One of our customers uses SolidWorks as their design tool and we use our Onshape license to both work on and share designs for viewing that no one would get to look at if they weren't looking over our shoulders at the SolidWorks workstations.

Cons

One of the main issues with Onshape is that it depends on a solid internet connection. Early on, we had some internet drop-out issues at different job sites that we have shored up now by getting a better provider and adding a hotspot for portable reliability.

Excellenty CAD collaboration platform.

We are a non-profit research university, so we use their Education license. The ability to get all the players in an instrument design on the same digital document is invaluable to us!

Pros

The collaborative features allow us to work in remote teams, often on different continents and time zones. Visual communication crosses language barriers better than any other means we know of.

Cons

The lack of well-integrated CAM makes the final step in engineering solutions a bit harder than some other packages.

Very good software for mechanical design and design sharing/team design projects

Design agility and speed are the largest benefits I see. We are a smaller company and work with a larger number of outside vendors for manufacturing and engineering work. This has by far made that process much easier and eliminated the wasted time and money associated with giving an outside firm access to our vault for file transfer. It is very nice to be able to collaborate in real time with the outside world, both on the design and manufacturing side, by simply sharing a file with a person, company or team (internal of external).

Pros

I like the features and ease of reusing existing geometry. It easily allows for multi-body part modeling and enables the parts to be treated as individual parts with their own properties etc. The architecture of program makes it one of the fastest I have ever used for conceptual design and then easily transitions the designs into production.

Cons

The learning curve switching from solidworks/pro-E was a little steeper than I anticipated but, once we made the switch, the benefits really started to payoff. Although it can import and edit 2D dwg type files, it is not a good solution or does not have the ability to create 2D as easily as an autocad program when creating schematics or the like (the drawing package for documenting Onshape files is very functional).

Thanks for the positive review, Jeremy! We're looking forward to working closer with you and the team over the next few months.