PINpoint MES Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.86/10

Reviews by rating

Been fantastic, service is there, continous improvement happens, we are growing because of their of their product.
Pinpoint enables fantastic operator control and traceability of build quality. Quality & training systems by each operator.
Improving, quality, velocity and cost. I have always had a great experience with the PINpoint team.
We have some network issues that we believe is causing the loss of data.
Can be difficult in a post production rework environment.
One feature that can be updated is the fact that if tried the user could trick the system to send out a defective part.

Gabrielle G.

Maritime, 5,001-10,000 employees

PINpoint

Pros

Customization, User Interface for the operator and background configuration, rigorous data architecture and schema, and capacity changes are simpler

Cons

Changing a production schedule like break start and end times, Operator maintenance, if your production floor speaks two languages you have to favor one.

Thanks for the feedback Gabrielle. Really appreciate the details you have provided. We are always looking for ways to continuously improve.

RK

Randy K.

Aviation & Aerospace, 10,001+ employees

PINpoint enabling aerospace manufacturing execution

I'd recommend PINpoint to anyone looking to integrate factory floor equipment and tooling into your operations. Great team and excellent software experience!

Pros

[sensitive content hidden] and the team from PINpoint have been working with us for over 15 years. The product has enabled our manufacturing team to build quality into the product, especially with the integration of Atlas Copco torque tools. Operators and operations leadership can readily understand if we are running ahead or behind plan for each operation of each part being produced. Fantastic system!

Cons

In the beginning, it did take a bit of time for our manufacturing site to grab hold of the capabilities within PINpoint so that we could leverage the capabilities to full advantage. However, the PINpoint team was always there to support us.

Thanks for the feedback Randy. Really appreciate all the details and kind words. We have truly enjoyed our partnership for the past 15 years!

Stefan W.

I have worked with pinpoint for 8 years. Sometimes it difficult to make simple changes.

Pros

I really like how it works with KEPWARE. I also like how you can configure the hardware. The reports and relationships as well as the user management is very nice. I also like the and on aspect. Being able to send messages and quality alert to each individual station as well as being able to decide who can work where are great features.

Cons

Not like the difficulty of the building flow and making changes on it. I also wish I could use an ethernet best I/O module like a phoenix connector without having to have a PLC. Using a smart arm does not work very well when everything is server based. Subscribing and unsubscribing to each tool for every individual tightening on a single step Really slows down the entire system. Overall the network traffic is too much which makes everything very slow.

Thank you for your review, we are always keen to hear our customers experience on the functionality and ease of use of PINpoint MES & Andon system software. In our latest V5 software we've built on the pros you list to make an even more powerful error-proofing and business intelligence solution that's essential for any manufacturer to improve quality and efficiency. In reply to your concerns we...

CP

Christopher P.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

Working with PINpoint now for 13 years... going strong!!

I've been fortunate enough to get to meet most all of their team, and I can't think of a nicer, more intelligent and helpful group of folks I've ever met anywhere. It doesn't matter if they are here onsite helping a facility with a project they're developing, or if I'm at their facility in Canada getting training. Their willingness to share knowledge and instruct the end users is awesome!!!

Pros

Id say the new Dashboards available are the thing I like most about PINpoint today. What have I liked most about it over the past 13 years? That would be how easy it is to set up, program, and use to interlock our fastening process here within our facility. I also really like their universal socket trays that are ethernet IP addressable. These trays can be used with every tool that is connected to the work station. If you have an Atlas inline tool on a reaction arm, an Estic handheld digital pulse tool, and a couple of Crane Digital wrenches. They can ALL use the same tray of sockets, wrench end adapters, or whatever you want to insist is picked up to enable the tool. FAR better trays than the various OEM Mfg trays that ONLY work with the tool mfg tool they are assigned to.

Cons

I dont want to say anything negative about PP because I truly think it's the best MES solution out there today. However, if I had to pick one thing that I'd like to see fixed or altered it would be this.... When ever anyone who has the proper rights makes a change within the SmartBuild portal of the system. Whomever makes that edit or change, has their User ID tagged to the edit. The thing is, there...

Thanks for your review Christopher, we love hearing your valuable feedback! I'm so glad we are making a difference and we truly enjoy working with engaged customers like yourself.

JB

Jason B.

I have used the Pinpoint application everyday for the past 7+ years.

Pros

This software is great for collecting and storing critical data from assembly lines. You are able to connect many different devices to it like: DC tools, scales, badge readers, scanners, wireless gages, PLC's, and so on. The company is always evolving as well, trying to improve their processes for their customers. They also have very good customer support.

Cons

I don't have anything negative about this software to say at this time. The biggest "Con" that I see are people who want to use the software, but do not take the time to learn how it works. Instead, they will copy programs and guess on certain areas. But, this issue has nothing to do with the software itself.

Thank You Jason for being a such a steadfast user of PINpoint software - your experience corresponds with all the users across the World who also work in PINpoint everyday in different languages to build a variety of complicated products. In addition to PINpoint's powerful error-proofing features and benefits, and its ability to monitor and control the assembly line, PINpoint's latest Version 5.0...

BL

Brendan L.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

System-wide deployment of MES.

Quality control, production process control and manufacturing tracking are improving. 3 out of our 5 primary production facilities now utilize it and it has gone relatively smoothly with Pinpoint always there to help.

Pros

Order tracking and work-process control saw an immediate and drastic improvement. Record keeping, production analytics and the ability to control processes in an easy manner are another added benefit.

Cons

The product could use more API entries for auxiliary functions, an addition of a web-based client interface and a real-time OPC client embedded in the product could go a long way to easing the integration of the platform to existing systems.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this detailed feedback. We very much appreciate it. We are always looking to continuously improve the value we offer to our Customers.

BS

Barry S.

Have been using this software for 7 years, very good accountability

Mainly the traceability of serial number data and conformity to the assembly process.

Pros

The amount of data captured was extremely large. Good for capturing measurement data and torque data. Very good tracability.

Cons

Sorting through the data was not as easy as earlier versions. Older hardware devices remained within the database and was a pain to delete forever.

Thank you for your feedback Barry, and for providing insight into your experience with PINpoint over 7 years. The software continues to be evolved in 2018 to play an integral role in the small-medium/large-enterprise size manufacturer's transition to paperless manufacturing and Industry 4.0 methodologies. PINpoint V5.0 now features 2 powerful manufacturing intelligence apps called 'Dashboard' and...

Automotive,

Used other for 2+ years

Excellent Process Control Application allowing the right Mfg role to manage their process scope.

Pros

Strong Process Control with GUI level read across station to station. Tools can be set up in the library that can be used by Process Engineers to manage their process without needing Controls Engineering input and help in most cases.

Cons

Requires increased skill sets in each group working with it but on the positive side easily managed. The application does require a new approach to managing process control. It is not the traditional PLC layer control system. That is not a bad thing, just requires a commitment to move forward with new technology that provides a new set of functional benefits that cant be achieved in traditional PLC layer.

Thank You for your review and we agree that the process control capabilities of the PINpoint MES (out-of-the-box) sets our software apart from the competitors. With the ability to control both the human and machine aspects of the assembly line, and the capability to turn off tools and devices and even stop the assembly line, ensures that defective products never get shipped to the customer! We've...

Aviation & Aerospace, 10,001+ employees

PINpoint MES Review

The MES has addressed multiple opportunities to become a one-stop shop, we have been able to utilize PINpoint to replace other products used for ANDON, WIP tracking, etc.

Pros

The team behind the software is very responsive and have made changes to support our production model. The software is very user friendly from an administrator stand point as well as from the use of an assembler.

Cons

One challenge we faced was the applications focus on lean production lines vs building anywhere. There is an update set to address this challenge which will make the software even easier to use in setting up production lines.

Thank you for the feedback, this is very helpful. I'm so glad to see your 10/10 score for Likelihood to Recommend! This means so much to us when it comes from our Customers.

TP

Tony P.

Military, 10,001+ employees

Pinpoint use

It has been great. Everyone we have talked to is very knowledgeable about the system and always available if we have questions.

Pros

The number of things it can do/record, but unfortunately, I have not had the time to take a deep dive into it to get to learn it all. Looks to be a very robust system that in the long run should work out well for our needs.

Cons

Not the most flexible system for our applications, but we are learning new ways to make it that way. PINpoint is always open for suggestions to make it better.

Thanks for your feedback Tony. We appreciate you taking the time to provide some details. As you say, we are always listening to the 'voice of the customer' and looking for ways to continuously improve.

KH

Kendra H.

Machinery, 501-1,000 employees

Any issues have been taken care of promptly, my service team is knowledgeable and great to work with

Quality product

Pros

I like the ease of programming and setting everything in the system. I really like the tracking section, being able to interlock tools and track product has helped in many ways

Cons

New Reports, most of the features do not work correctly. I cannot get fastening reports to work or operator reports to work, they generate blank pages. I like the original report section better than the newest

Thank you Kendra for your review and positive feedback. The latest version PINpoint V5 now includes two (2) powerful reporting apps: 1) the performance "Dashboard" provides a live-stream from the cloud of the assembly line's real-time Goal Planned Actual, and Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) so you can know at any time if you are on track/trending to meet your daily manufacturing goals - including...

GF

Guillaume F.

Construction, 10,001+ employees

I have been using PINpoint for 12 years and I am still very satisfied with it

I led the integration of PINpoint in our factory 12 years ago to manage multiple assembly lines. Now I support the application internally with around 400 daily users.

Pros

Many things that I like with PINpoint, focusing on the most important ones for me, I would say the feature richness and the product reliability are excellent, ease of use is very good and the support team is very pleasant and efficient.

Cons

Nothing that I dislike with the product but few improved functionalities I would appreciate to see in the future like better management and integration of multiple sub assembly line building elements for the final product.

Thanks so much for providing this feedback Guillaume. So happy to hear about your positive experience. We have truly valued our partnership for the past 12 years and counting.

kh

kevin h.

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Pinpoint has delivered operator control and quality builds,

Quality traceability gains, improved operator training lead times.

Pros

Pinpoint enables fantastic operator control and traceability of build quality. Quality & training systems by each operator, Functionality of dashboard and andon systems I am looking forward to the new system release, and the many new tools and systems that this brings

Cons

Start up and network reliance, that upon system outages causes production stops, due to RIC locations.

We appreciate your feedback Kevin, Thank You for sharing such valuable insight into your experience with PINpoint. Earlier in 2018 we released our most powerful version 5.0 of the software to date called V5 MES for complete assembly line process control and measurement; and V5 ANDON for advanced plant floor communications, product tracking, and manufacturing intelligence - an ideal first step for...

DF

David F.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

PINpoint is The Way to Go!

I have used PINpoint since version 3.6 and it keeps getting better with every update. It is quite fast and easy to make larger product changes and updates.

Pros

The system is very intuitive and easy to work with.

Cons

One area I would like to see improved would be the Scheduler section. I would like the "save forward" to be removed and replace with the option to use those times and goal numbers until you change it again. I would also like the shifts to be shared across the plant.

Thanks for the feedback David. So glad to hear that you have had a positive experience. As you know we are constantly looking to make it better and better for our Customers.

SM

Sean M.

Great Execution System, great system for managing process control

Really like PINPoint. I've worked with some MES before but had found PINpoint to be the most adaptable & versatile. Lots of support & many different methods of communicating with PINpoint. Very impressed.

Pros

Easy user friendly features, to create products & manage in-process validation.Great support from everyone at PINpoint.

Cons

I think there is the odd bug when sharing process steps, doesn't drop in where placed. Frequently can be found at the end. Not being able to move steps as a group (selecting multiple items) can make configuring processes a tad cumbersome.

Thanks for sharing your feedback Sean! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the system and putting it to good use. Customer Support is always a top priority for us and I'm glad you are impressed.

TS

Tavail S.

Automotive, 1,001-5,000 employees

PinPoint Usage

PINpoint has helped out department out significantly. We enjoy the usage and the functionality of PINpoint.

Pros

The most useful tools of PINpoint are the quality aspects. PINpoint is able to show the user any mistakes that are made if used correctly. This allows us to minimize the amount of defects created.

Cons

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback Tavail! We appreciate the input and are glad that PINpoint has helped make a difference in your Plant.

TC

Tim C.

Machinery, 51-200 employees

Pinpoint review

Assembly errors greatly reduced. The confidence in our product quality has increased substantially.

Pros

The implementation team was very knowledgeable and helpful guiding us during the integration of Pinpoint into our production process. The followup support has been first rate, as well. This MES provides very sophisticated overwatch of our daily production.

Cons

Mass-upload of new entries into Pinpoint system

Thanks for the feedback. Very happy to hear that errors have been reduced and confidence in your product has substantially increased!

DG

Dean G.

Machinery, 51-200 employees

Productivity and Quality

been fantastic, service is there, continous improvement happens, we are growing because of their of their product

Pros

Our business grew 260% over the last 24 months and we could not have handled the growth in a quality controlled manner without the tools from Pinpoint.

Cons

Operators will say it slows the process, but it really forces operators to focus and do it right the first time

Thank you so much for your kind words Dean. We have truly enjoyed our partnership with your organization. Love hearing about your growth and how we were able to help!

BT

Bobby T.

Easy to use and train

Pros

Easy modification. Good end user interface. With programming details on hand, it is easy to create each step.

Cons

Upgrades cause issues. Not able to let user move / duplicate a group of process easily. Required to ask for PinPoint help to do it behind the scene.

Thank You Bobby for your review, and insight into your experience with PINpoint software. As always we have continued the evolutionary path of our products with the input of our valued customers like yourself. If you haven't experienced the new version 5.0 software we encourage you to contact us for a demonstration since there have been many advancements made in terms of usability and ease of configuration. Further,...

KK

Kedar K.

Construction, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

Robust system. Requires significant investment IT infrastructure, Not efficient- data load or edit

Pros

Found it to be Robust system, had minimal downtime during integration into existing operations. Good for Torque control, Process visualization

Cons

Requires significant investment in IT infrastructure, Not efficient for initial data load or data edit Requires Client/PC at every work center.

Thank you Kedar for your valued feedback. In early 2018 we released version 5.0 which has many improvements including increased speed and ease-of-use. V5 MES & V5 ANDON are also now quicker to deploy and include many features and reports not available prior to 2017 (version 4.x products). We encourage you to schedule a live demonstration with us to see the new V5 - which now includes a real-time...

HM

Hugues M.

I am updating current processes, creating new processes and help debugging in the workshop

Pros

This software is capable to work with various brands of equipment which allows having competition between manufacturers

Cons

Every changed made to a process is live. Not able to manage several version of the process with "go live" date.

Thank you Hugues, we appreciate you providing us feedback about your experience with PINpoint MES. We're glad you find our manufacturing execution system flexible to accommodate various brands of tools, and many other devices including sensors, vision systems and testers. We've made assembly line configuration straightforward to enable you to make process step changes in real-time. If you haven't...

BK

Brent K.

Automotive, 201-500 employees

PinPoint Review

The overall experience is great. The product is easy to use and the customer service is great.

Pros

We use the product for quality control and it is very useful for training purposes.

Cons

There are some features that would be helpful in the configuration process. A search feature and ease of linking steps would be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback Brent, much appreciated! Glad you have a positive overall experience.

JR

Josh R.

Machinery, 1,001-5,000 employees

Pros

All the projects I have been on with PINpoint have gone smoothly and the support is phenomenal.

Cons

We are not using it to its full potential.

Thanks for the feedback Josh. Delighted to hear that you have improve Quality, velocity and cost! Also, thank you for your comments about our support...it is truly a top priority for us.

BG

Brian G.

Machinery, 501-1,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

I have used Pinpoint on a few projects and the service, support, and software has always been great

Flexibility

Pros

The flexibility of the software to adapt to many projects and customer needs is very helpful. User Friendly

Cons

The cost is a little more expensive then most but the software is user friendly so that makes up for it in most cases.

Thank You for your review Brian, and for sharing your feedback regarding your positive experiences with PINpoint software and our team. You'll be pleased to learn we've evolved the software again; it's now in version 5.0, and it's even more user-friendly, intuitive to use and interpret with new situational awareness graphics and data visualization. The new PINpoint V5 performance Dashboard app is...

Joshua B.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 10,001+ employees

PINpoint Improves Production Efficiency and Drives Down Defects

Pros

Process control, interlock, error-proofing, ease of programming with Smartbuild, ease of integration, data management, Tracking tab in Smartscreen to manage workorders.

Cons

Not a fan of the smartscreen operator levels yet!

Thanks for the feedback Joshua. Delighted to hear it is driving Quality and Efficiency! That's what it's all about! Great to hear about all the features you are enjoying.