Sideline Reviews

3.7/5 (43 reviews)

Nick P.

Works Perfectly - Increased Our Business By 60%

Reviewed 2018-10-05

Best addition to our client/customer communications for 9 buck a month we ever made.

Pros
We use Sideline to make sure EVERY incoming call receive an "Immediate Text Message Response". Sideline knows if it was a mobile phone calling in. This is so important in the "Service Industry". People call our main Ooma VOIP online posted tele numbers (we have eight)... the Ooma numbers forward to our head technician.... If the head technician cannot take the call, or is on another line, then the incoming caller receives an AUTO TEXT MESSAGE the minute they hand up. Very Very Cool. The text message has a tele-phone number fo an Alternate Tech, a link to our web site, and a message thanking them for calling.

Cons
NONE !!! NONE WHAT-SO-EVER The people leaving negative reviews are (in our opinion) not very bright. The Last thing you want some inquiry calling you to do Is: "Google" something they are looking for (find you), make the call and then not get you for whatever reason. Why not put a friggin' text message (with alternate tapeable tel number), a message with links, and image in their face the minute they hang up. Way better than losing the customer to another Google search. Think Different ! We don't lose customers anymore. YEA Sideline.

Angela Paez

Great cmmunication app for Collection purposes

Reviewed 2019-11-11

Pros
Sideline is a must in our day to day work. Our business depends on our ability to get in contact with customers daily so knowing that some of them already know and have blocked our regular office number is a challenge that we were able to overcome thanks to Sideline. It provides you with an alternative phone number not only for phone calls but also text mssgs. A great tool in my business.

Cons
Initially, the app was free of charge but now you have to pay to get that 2nd phone number, it is not cheap but is definitely worth it. Even with having t pay the annual fee, we really can't imagine not having that other line that sometimes is the last channel of communication with some of our most difficult customers. Totally worth it.

ADS

Reviewed 2019-09-06

the messages that get from SIDELINE are confusing me with perceived missed calls and or messages from prospective clients. I would like an option to be able to receive communication in another format, perhaps email or op out. I will be searching for an alternative if this issue cannot or will not be addressed or resolved. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Pros
It's an alternative to having a second cell phone. Customers recognize the area code as somewhat local.

Cons
ADS in the form of a message, on my alerts it shows as if I missed a call or have a text message from prospective client. I understand that Sideline is constantly working for us users to find better ways to use the app, but I rather receive these BETA request and news and information in the form of a email.

Braden Trimpe

An OK Cheap Start

Reviewed 2017-02-09

I use Sideline as the main number for my business since we are fairly new and it makes more sense to use than purchase a second phone. I had my number go down for about 4 days though, which was terrible and more than irritated my customers. I also cannot say how much it cost us in potential clients. Their customer service took 4 days to get back to us. Even though they offer phone numbers they don't have one themselves and only work through an email. Call quality is pretty good, but you need to be right next to your phone because Sideline won't let the calls ring for very long. Overall it has worked pretty well for us and we haven't had a need to switch from it yet.

Pros
Free. Works pretty well. Call quality same as any phone. Offers texting and calls.

Cons
Must use regularly to maintain number. Terrible customer service. Had a few calls that were dropped or not properly connected. Numbers are HIGHLY prone to spam calls.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Pamela Crenshaw

Convenient

Reviewed 2018-03-29

Pros
Sideline works as a separate line on my phone. I use it as my business mobile number.

Cons
The name doesn't appear 99% of the time (only the number), even though the caller is listed in my contacts. Calls are not always clear. Doesn't have as many features as other competitors and less than TextFree, the free service offered through Pinger (Sideline's parent company). I have always paid for the service. Customer service is not the greatest.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Excellent Option for Freelancers

Reviewed 2018-10-16

Sideline lets me have a work phone and a personal phone without actually needing to have two phones. Great service.

Pros
Sideline make it very easy for me to neatly divide my work calls and texts from my friends. I work as a freelancer so it's super nice to know when an editor might be calling vs a friend. Being able to text from my second number is great as well. I'm told you are also able to bring your number with you if you ever grow your business to the point of wanting a standard desk phone, which is a great feature, but I've not done it.

Cons
Very little. Works great and I have no complaints.

W. Shawn Welty

Not close to even being "professional" grade

Reviewed 2016-07-05

I am currently involved in several different businesses and need separate phone lines for each in order to text or call clients. However, I do not want to have separate phones. Sideline does not allow for the use of a fully individuated phone number (e.g., calling out from the same number as calling in), especially when a competitor app is installed. If you are looking for communication and confidence in the use of an app that allows you to separate personal from professional securely, and thus allow clients not to access your private information, this may not be the app for you. Instead, you may have to use Caller ID block in order to "rectify this scenario" which opens a whole host of other communication issues with clients (some don't answer blocked calls, some automatically reject blocked calls, etc.) Customer service appears to take a lackadaisical approach, stating they know this is a known issue, and it is "common", but is not aware of plans to fix the common, known issue. I have used customer service on two different occasions and been informed on both occasions by separate customer service representatives that the system had a glitch that did not allow them to see my trouble ticket. When I was not a customer, I had inquired about the actual service through the same ticket system and been in contact with yet another representative multiple times within a 24 hour period.

Pros
The app is a free app with the potential to be really good if programmed correctly.

Cons
Customer service doesn't appear to respond in a timely fashion. Also, having a ticket management system that closes out a ticket after 3 days of inactivity without responding in said time is counterintuitive and frustrating to the user. The app does not use a distinct dialer like Line2 or even Google Voice. The app does not allow for the use of multiple lines coming in (even in the paid version). I am assuming this is for security purposes, but in some cases multiple lines are necessary.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Angelina Monell, LMHC

A needed service but room for improved features

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Pros
Sideline allows me to separate business from personal calls. I can have automatic out of office and other messages sent when clients call or text. I do not have to increase my phone data package to utilize the app but do need to be within wifi or data to accept and send calls or text.

Cons
The app does not always keep contacts saved names. So I will receive phone calls from regular clients but all I see is their number which I do not memorize. This is a glitch that does get annoying. Luckily, all contact info is stored on my phone directory. Sometimes, texts messages do not go through but I do not receive an error message.

Jen PhD

Very happy with this extra phone number

Reviewed 2018-03-07

Pros
I've been using Sideline for over a year and find it so functional. Unlike many of my friends who need an extra work phone number, I simply use this on my iPhone and do not need to carry extra hardware. Absolutely worth for the pro version!

Cons
Sometimes calls come up as missed or voicemails come up within the app notification, and sometimes they show up in my general phone notification. It's just confusing as I'm not sure if it's a personal or professional call.

Michelle Lawrence

Just want you need

Reviewed 2019-07-19

Pros
This works with iphone and android. I give out this number to business clients. The best feature about Sideline is that you can block people and they have no idea that they've been blocked, and there is no extra cost for the blocking

Cons
I sometimes get errors when using Sideline

Psalm Lewis

No need for a second phone

Reviewed 2018-07-17

Should have lower price tiers for lower use

Pros
This has cut my client cost down greatly. I don't have to have a seperate phone. The phone quality has been steadyand the texting is helpful with rescheduling!

Cons
There is this strange second message that you have to answer yes to for every call. I don't like the confirmation of the call button, but I understand it may help people who use there side line for more discreet dealings.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Anonymous

Problems with usage and cancelling subscription

Reviewed 2019-02-05

It seemed to work well at the beginning and was good for the price, but things deteriorated over time, causing a lot of problems with my not getting back to customers whose messages got lost in Sideline cyberspace

Pros
It appeared to be a good solution for my small business

Cons
On more than one occasion, people left messages, I saw the call listed, but there was no voicemail there. The developer had no explanation for the problem and could not fix it. I went back and forth many times with customer service. They were responsive but the problem was never fixed. In addition, when I tried to cancel my subscription, Google could not find the subscription agreement I purchased through Google Play, and I spent hours on the phone trying to stop the monthly charges. Sideline support referred me to Google, and Google referred me to Paypal. It was a ridiculous set of events not worthy of anyone's l-o-n-g amount of time spent.

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Christine Barnett

Love Sideline

Reviewed 2019-09-06

I love Sideline. Having a business number is important to me as I am on the go between 5 different sites. I find that texting is the most convenient way of communication for most. I do not want to give out my personal number and Sideline is a great alternative. I only have to have ONE phone. Love it.

Pros
I love that Sideline works just like my regular cell phone number. It's easy to use and you can text too, which is a plus!

Cons
The only con I can think of is that the caller ID rarely works so I do not know who is calling when I answer.

Psalm Lewis

I use daily to reach mental health clients. It allows me to provide text access and phone access.

Reviewed 2017-07-20

It allows me to provide a sense of security to my clients. I am able to keep my privacy, while being accessible.

Pros
I like the clear reception and the email notification is very helpful.I can screen the calls easily.

Cons
I would like a video chat option like facetime. The emoticons are a bit limited as well. I have droped calls on elevators and older buildings.

Laurabell Lyster

Best way to show local presence without having to change my cell phone number

Reviewed 2017-09-13

Didn't have to change my cell phone number when I moved into a new state to start my new business.

Pros
That I don't have to change my cell phone number after moving into a new area to start my business. Added bonus, you can text from the number and now I can seperate all my business calls from my personal calls!

Cons
There is a delay when someone calls into me and I answer. I have to wait a few seconds. When a voicemail is left I can't dial back automatically, I have to go into the program to do so

Nikolay Roubin

Great product

Reviewed 2019-08-12

Pros
Very easy to set up and use. Serves perfectly for my needs.

Cons
Not sure about the cons. It's only hard to manage its payments through the iTunes on iPhone.

Diane Eggert

Forget Sideline when you buy a new phone

Reviewed 2019-07-18

Pros
I liked the fact I only had one phone. Ease of use.

Cons
I bought a new phone and had to transfer my app. I was unable to sign in, had multiple errors. I spent approximately 6 hours texting their help line back and forth. No one could figure out how to sign me into my account on my new phone. I did everything they told me to do to access my account without success. I lost hours of work, unknown amount of phone calls and messages missed. This is unacceptable.

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Love this

Reviewed 2018-04-14

Pros
Some of the best features for outside sales people or a group. Love the text and call auto reply options. I subscribed to the additional voicemail to text feature as well

Cons
You have to be sure you set up your phone correctly to ensure your voicemails go to the correct place. Sort of confusing

Anonymous

Great application to use for additional phone number!

Reviewed 2018-11-02

This has been a great app for me overall as I have met some people online that I would rather not keep in contact with. I can just ignore their calls and not have to worry about them harassing me all the time. I recommend it for users who need an additional line for any reason.

Pros
I started online dating about a year ago and found this to be great to create another phone number just for use when my date search. That way I did not have to worry about giving our my real phone number.

Cons
You must have a strong internet connection to properly answer calls. Otherwise, if you're traveling and going through low cellphone reception areas, you will not be able to take calls using this app.

Sandra Balzola

Started using this when it was free and for free it was great. They switched to paid in October.

Reviewed 2018-01-09

A headache

Pros
I was able to have a seperate line for my business. It was great when it was free. Thats about the only thing positive I can say. I switched over from another service hoping to get the same type of service. Boy was I wrong.

Cons
Since they switched to paid there is NOTHING different about the app or service. It is NOT worth . In fact, I have had nothing but issues and customer service is almost impossible to reach. They terminated my account and I lost my number because of their own billing issue. It has been near impossible to reach ANYONE to correct. When I have all they want is my credit card number to bill me and offer no resolution and not even a sincere apology for the BS. When I asked about my number then conveniently they were closed. Seriously, I have the screenshots to prove all this. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to change my business number and go with a different service. I will not give these people another cent unless someone does something to actually help AND offers a sincere apology.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Treda Fuller

Second phone, fraction of the cost!

Reviewed 2018-10-28

Pros
I like how I can customize so many features. Everything from voicemail greetings, to text message signatures. I can also totally cut off my availability. If I do not want to work, I can send calls to voicemail, enable text responder and turn off notifications!

Cons
Its not easy to share content to Sideline. The option is there, but when the message opens, it's blank.

Anonymous

Best option for keeping my phone number

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-09-10

I can keep my US number and still send and receive text messages!

Pros
So far, this has been the best option for me to keep my phone number while overseas. I lost my sim card, so couldn't get anything US based but they were able to port my number. I had to deal with tech support and they were fantastic.

Cons
It's a little clunky, but I am adapting to it. I think I need a sim card in to use it for calls, which isn't ideal.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Iyad Qumseya

It Works if you need it!

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-11-03

Great Experience!

Pros
I liked having two lines while carrying one cellphone! I liked it being anonymous to the party I was making business with. You choose the number and the area code. Receive messages through the sideline number!

Cons
No cons actually I did not need it after my free trial expired but I will sure use it again if I ever felt the need for a second line.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Michelle Lawrence

This is awful

Reviewed 2018-10-04

I feel this was a money making scheme to begin with, the service is not great at all, there are definite issues with the software, which was fine to deal with when it is free. There is no customer service department... good luck!

Pros
I like the fact that you can have an additional phone number on your mobile number.

Cons
when I signed up it was free. I was using it for two years, I gave all my customers that number, then Sideline decided to start charging for their service. How could I change my business number now and let EVERYONE know?

Likelihood to recommend: 1/10

Samantha Veaz

Great for side business

Reviewed 2017-01-08

Considering this product is free, it has great features. I use it to run my part-time business, that doesn't warrant another line.

Pros
Cheap and easy to use.

Cons
Calls and texts don't always come/go through. Slightly unreliable.