Balsamiq Reviews

Pros

What I like the most is its price, compared to its competition, it is one of the most economical and perfectly fulfills its function.

Ernesto Enrique F.

It is a good desktop and mobile mock-up tool with a good quantity of functionalities. For sure is one of the best free solutions for small projects in LF stages.

DM

David M.

It makes my job incredibly easy and produces a super clean wireframe immediately. The pre-set buttons that you can drag are the best and I just won't use anything else for Wireframing.

TS

Tori S.

Cons

The following things I don't like. No walk through/onboarding, sometimes makes you feel lost.

Prashant M.

Additionally, creation of site-maps is limited with no scope of customization.

Simisara J.

Wireframes can look child-like and unprofessional with some settings. Currently based on Adobe Air technology which is outdated.

GB

Graham B.

Knockout Easy Wireframes

Transcript

Mike D.: Hi. My name is Mike. I am a community lead, and I give Balsamiq five out of five stars. For...

The best software for UX processes

Very positive. Has sped up workflows and iterations within processes massively.

Pros

I like the limitations of this software. The stripped back and lack of styling allows me to focus my time only on UX. Previously, I have had issues where doing UX in XD or Sketch the client would be trying to make too many visual considerations. Since moving to Balsamiq this has streamlined communications to focusing on interaction points, hierarchy and best practices.

Cons

Not a con, but being able to assign labels for titles (H1, H2, H3 etc) would really help improve integration with CRO and SEO specialists. Also being able to have titles with multiple lines of text. A larger and more consistent base of templates would be beneficial - i.e. landing pages, ecomm, brochure sites. Currently there's a lot of app based and molecule based templates and I don't utilise any of these.

Quick, simple and efficient wireframing

Balsamiq is the agency's go to wireframing tool. The application allows the UX team to quickly convey their ideas to the creative designers without the expectation of deciding the visual branding of the site. Whilst the feature set is fairly limited and the tool hasn't been upgraded recently it is still the most efficient method to draw up wireframes we have found.

Pros

- Probably the easiest wireframing tool to use - Focused feature set aimed at creating wireframes in the minimum of time - Very quick to learn with some depth for power users - Can be very quick to use for experienced users - Ability to download pre-made components from a central library or share components easily within a project - Much cheaper than some competitors - Very stable application

Cons

- Wireframes can look child-like and unprofessional with some settings - Currently based on Adobe Air technology which is outdated - No recent feature releases and no fixed release date for the next version leading to a feeling that the product is not moving forward - Some expected features are still missing such as an easy way to create click-through interactive prototypes

Great for Wireframes and UI Mockups!

Pros

This is amazing for wireframes and UI mockups as it easily allows you to create them from scratch. The style of the elements (looks like it's hand-drawn) is great as it reminds the business that what I created are mockups. This helps keep the conversation going on projects, while not getting bogged down in specific style conversations (e.g. colors, etc).

Cons

Aren't really any cons; the software keeps getting updated with more elements, but I think it's important not to have too much, as it'll make it more complicated. Balsamiq walks that line very well.

Effective and easy to handle Mock-up Tool around !!

Pros

As a BA, whenever we receive technical specification from the client and break these down to user cases, it becomes important for us to design Mock-ups and confirm if we are on the same page as to the client before we rush into development to do so Balsmiq Mock-up is the one of the best tool around. Designing the User interface design is faster with available element in User interface library. Just...

Cons

I think the tool lacks in integration with other tools that are used in software design as well as export option is limited to export as PDF or PNG and you can't Print to the printer directly. Except that I think it's a wonderful tool as it's web, desktop as well as Google drive plug in is available

Easy too for UX and Wireframes

Pros

It is very fast to wireframe and that's the reason you will be able to work on better ideas faster and also filter out the "not so good" ones quickly. There are a lot of UI components which are built-in and pre-generated hence it is very easy to use and reuse them wherever needed effortlessly. A lot of shortcuts are provided which helps in increasing speed. You can also share the wireframes on the web as images or PDFs. Moreover, the simple drag and drop feature provided comes out to be very handy. Many teams can use Balsamiq as per their needs. UX designers get the rich shortcuts, PMs can share their ideas easily with the multiple share options provided, developers find it easy to develop. It's a great tool for everyone.

Cons

Nothing absolutely. It's great software.

An Excellent Review for Balsamiq

I generally live this software because it's so easy to use.

Pros

A very easy to use software. It took me only a couple of minutes to get a hang of this software. It's very beginner friendly.

Cons

The software could use more colors on the interface.

The best tool for sketching an initial layout or prototype of ANYTHING

Amazing tool if you need to showcase something or discuss the initial layout

Pros

I love Balsamiq and I have been using it for a while now if there is a work that involves UI/UX tasks that I need to define or explain. The tool has pretty much all you need to make an awesome prototype.

Cons

Few things. First of all, I would really appreciate a student tariff for the tool. Also, it would be great to the a web version of the tool that might be universal to use anywhere.

The standard in wire framing

It's the best software around to create unique and clean wireframes for clients.

Pros

This is the best product around for creating wire frames. I've used it on countless projects and have great reviews for it.

Cons

With software catching up, maybe lowering the cost would be the only con. Other than that, I really enjoy using it for mock ups and wire frames.

Great wireframing tool that helps designers focus on UX

I am a UX and Service Designer who often designs mockups and low-fi prototypes to test out new solutions. I like using Balsamiq to stray away from focusing too much on visuals in the early stage of prototyping.

Pros

The basic look and feel of the wireframes allow both designers and clients to focus solely on the user experience, in low-fi prototypes.

Cons

As time goes on and competitors are moving forward, Balsamiq is falling behing and feeling a bit outdated. Would be great to have more integrations.

Simple and fast

When I make mockups of my software development, I make demo mock-ups with Balsamiq Mockups fast so that my customers and I can work on landing our ideas.

Pros

Thanks to its simplicity, I achieve complete mockups in no time. In addition to the elements that made the community libraries accelerate the process.

Cons

Its very simplicity makes accomplishing complex things sometimes more difficult than its competition.

I just love to SKIN any UI with this basic, yet simple-to-use tool.

Daily I use this tool to validate the user interface. Whenever there is a use case which I need to resolve in our product, I directly open this tool and start scratching. Yes, I start from the scratch, by having the components separated as a collage. Then I skin the UI by placing them in the positions which looks subtle and usable. Skinning the UI with this tool is easier. Just pick and play and the...

Pros

Ease Of Use. Quick Search. Default Icon set. The switch between Wireframe and Sketch i modes easier. I personally like the linking between the pages.

Cons

Designing the interface for Mobile Skins, and apps for Apple Watch seems to be a show-stopper. This has to be addressed. At times the screen resolution doesn't supports to take the screen shot from a laptop and to use it in the Balsamiq tool.

Balsamiq Mockups, the most incredible tool for your UI/UX designs

I just love using Balsamiq! It makes it really easy and fast to build your mockups. I have use it for both desktop and mobile apps with very good results. Clients usually love its friendly appearance. Since the project can be exported as an interactive PDF (if you programmed any interactions), you can show your clients a simulation of the UX and they just love that. Anyone can program this interactions using the software, you do not require any previous experience, it is just a matter of connecting slides, similar to programing a Power Point presentation. 100% recommended.

Pros

I absolutely adore this tool and have done it for more than five years now. I discover it when I was working as an intern at Intel, and I just fell in love with it. Have use it ever since for a lot of projects that involve interface and user experience design. It is the most intuitive tool, extremely simple but also extremely efficient. It takes almost no time to understand how to use it, it is as...

Cons

I know is going to sound like a lie, but I honestly don´t have any complains about this software. If I had to name one, I guess it would be the price, but is not really that expensive and it is totally worth it.

Fast, cheap mockup and wireframing tool for busy people

Quick wireframing and mockups without having to go on a course to use it. A great way to get your ideas down and shown around.

Pros

This is my go-to wireframing tool when I just need to get an idea down on something more than paper. It's simple to use thanks to the drag and drop interface, with plenty of predetermined UI options like forms, buttons, menus, pickers, etc. It's also ideal for presenting interactive prototypes to clients thanks to the linking feature and full-screen presentation option. I also love the option of "sketch" or "wireframe" so you can make it your work look like a quick draft or a clean wireframe. While there's a short learning curve to use this product, there's tons of help to be found over at the Balsamiq website. I got plenty of tips and tricks to use Balsamiq more efficiently from their blog posts.

Cons

The UI library could use a bit of an update. It would also be good to customize them more than just resizing, especially for picky clients who want a hi-fi mockup. Changing the color of the dropdown buttons or changing the button background color AND text color, for example. If I could double-click on an element and then be able to select specific things, it would be perfect. It would also be useful to add another font option. Just having one font for the entire project is rather limiting when trying to recreate a client's website as closely as possible to sell them on the new UI design. Overall, Balsamiq is sort of like the "quick and dirty" version of more advanced wireframing tools. It's fast and easy to use but may seem like a downgrade if you're used to more high-end programs.

Hi Jenny and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I've added your vote for the different features/options you have mentioned but feel free to reach out directly if you have any additional input. It's always very helpful for us to hear it! support@balsamiq.com -Virgin

Light and Efficient

Does the job quickly and efficiently, great to have collaboration​ and prototyping capabilities.

Pros

I mainly use Balsamiq to wireframe ideas, it's light and fast for the job. I like how you can quickly translate ideas to screen in no time in black and white. I use it mostly to create wireframes to present the ideas quickly with the team and brainstorm on top of it. It has ready to use components for different form factors so you don't need to draw/create anything from scratch, just drag and drop. In case you need to run a quick paper prototype usability test, just print your screens and you are good to go.

Cons

Though it is a robust tool to work in silos, it misses the collaboration part. In the cloud age, the expectation is to quickly add team members and take feedback on the flow, structure or the solution itself in real-time. Default small canvas size is also an issue if you need to draw multiple screens, you need to manually configure the canvas size as per your need. Also to make things interactive you need to export the screens in PNG format and use another prototyping tool to connect them all.

Hi Ashish and thanks for sharing your thoughts! We definitely agree that collaboration is essential for most teams these days and we recently added many ways to collaborate in real-time in our new web version. More details here: https://docs.balsamiq.com/cloud/collaborating/ About linking your wireframes together, you can actually do it directly from our tool: https://docs.balsamiq.com/cloud/linking/ Hope this helps! -Virgin

I love using Balsamiq as a tool to create simple + effective wireframes for web applications.

Simplistic nature of the software allows me to design software products quickly and effectively - files are easy to share, and have been very effective in communicating with my dev team.

Pros

I've experimented with several different wireframing softwares, and Balsamiq is definitely my favorite. I love that it focuses on product functionality, rather than design elements. I generally find wireframing for design to be distracting and preventative in coming up with a functional product design. Favorite features include: - Built-in shape templates make it fast and easy to mockup any sort of software or application - Black + white, hand-drawn feel removes distractions + allows me to focus on the actual product - Desktop app has one time license fee - Exporting to PDF is simple, and you can include links within the PDF that allow the user to mimic clicking between pages

Cons

Although I love the simplistic nature of Balsamiq, some people might be frustrated with the lack of certain functions: - Wireframe is not dynamic - only exports to static file formats - Built-in shapes might be restricting if you're looking to build something custom - Lack of folders, etc for organizing multiple pages, so if you're designing something complex you may find yourself searching for which page you left off on (this is something I would add if possible)

Hey there! Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your thoughts about our tool. :) Just wanted to let you know that our hierarchy feature might help you to organize your wireframes/pages: https://docs.balsamiq.com/cloud/overview/#using-a-hierarchy Hope this helps! -Virgin

Best Wireframe Software

Pros

The best attribute of this software is that it is very easy to use and user friendly. There are different versions available that you can either have a free trial or pay for a license. The free version comes with less features but the main ones are still available. Its interface is very easy to use as it is very much drag and drop. You are also able to convert your wireframes into different formats in order to save them, such as pdfs.

Cons

There are very few User Interface elements which is a disadvantage to this software as UI is constantly being updated. There are also little collaborative features to this software, which is a disappointment as you have to physically show others in order to gain feedback instead of inviting them to edit or view.

Balsamiq speeds up your wireframing work

Pros

The main pro of Balsamiq is that is very simple to use. The set of pre made object is one of the main core features, with those components you can quickly create a wireframe without all the overhead of creating the basic components

Cons

The main cons consists in the fact that Balsamiq is build with the old flash technology. Another cons is that at the moment there are no way to automatically sync the wireframe with online prototyping tool like Marvel of Invision

Awesome tool for Mockups

Pros

Used a lot in my previous work. I was not at all having expertise in mockups but the tool is so easy that in a week I started completing the mockups for the complete project. Having the chrome integration is actually so helpful that I don't have to worry more about storage also. Availability of readymade components and icon is the beauty of the product. It enables a normal person also to put some super cool design stuff and the idea behind the design.

Cons

If Balsamiq enables integration and collaboration capabilities it will be nice. The prototype we design is quite a row team can provide now some lea and flat components and icons.

Hi there and thanks a lot for taking the time to share your thoughts about our tool. Just wanted to mention that the new version of our Google Drive add-on (Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive) allows for real-time collaboration, chat and comments among other new features. Might be helpful for your team. More details on this page: https://docs.balsamiq.com/google-drive/wireframes/collaborating/ Feel free to reach out via support@balsamiq.com if you have any questions! -Virgin

Sketches in a very simple and fast way.

My experience with Balsamiq has been quite good, it helps me to make sketches, wireframes in a very fast, simple way, speeding up the delivery time of the projects, besides that they can be shared immediately thanks to their export methods, as well I can export them directly to a disk in the cloud and share it with the client quickly.

Pros

There are several reasons why I like balsamiq, it is a tool with a very low learning curve, quite intuitive, and does not need any type of download since it is hosted in the cloud so it is accessible from any device, it has a very useful autosave system that helps you not miss the progress in the project, is excellent for collaborative projects because it allows to invite colleagues or other people, also has a desktop version, supports various forms of export in different formats, from pdf, even images like jpg.

Cons

What I like the least about balsamiq is its interface, it is something old fashioned, besides that they can add a greater variety of objects to integrate in wireframes, sketches, mockups, etc. Another thing that I do not like is that when it comes to overlapping objects on each other very small, it can be quite a challenge, it would be nice if you could edit the position of the object as in web development, with a z-index.

Excellent creator of mockups, sketchs and more.

It is an excellent tool, useful for most mockups, wireframe, that are going to be created, ideal for creating quick sketches in a short time, it is also very useful when creating diagrams, in addition to the fact that although their designs are quite basic, it is a very clean and presentable work, it can also be used from any device that has a web browser and internet connection.

Pros

What I like most about Balsamiq is that I can work all projects and use it freely without the need to download any software, since it is a tool hosted in the cloud, which allows me to work with files that are directly hosted on a drive, such as Google drive also allows me to export them in different formats, such as pdf, jpg, etc. So it is perfect to integrate mockups, wireframes into other files, or send them as a single file. It has a wide variety of predefined icons, with basic shapes that are used for the design of wireframes, diagrams, mockups, so it is just drag and drop.

Cons

It is a very useful tool, however it works to create basic models, it is not a tool that has many customization possibilities, it only allows you to change some basic characteristics of the elements, such as size, color and size. However, it meets most of the requirements to create wireframes, quality mockups.

Web Interface Design with Balsamiq Application

Many of the components required for the design of the component are ready to be used. But if these were not enough, we can incorporate our own designs into the design. There are different features for different components. Common features of each component grouping, symbol conversion, copy, undo, position and sizing settings. We can turn every work we do into a symbol and use it easily in other mockups.

Pros

In general, a preliminary drawing is made in the web projects interface before starting a detailed drawing. This drawing guides the design that we want the end user to see. Some interface designers do prototyping on paper and others on programs designed for this purpose. We use Balsamiq application. With this application you can easily and quickly create prototypes and draft drawings. All the design elements that can be used in a web page or in the application we design will be available in the balsamiq drawing tool. All we have to do is set the color, size and layout of the element we will use.

Cons

Balsamiq Mockups unfortunately is a mercenary product, but as everyone does, you can install a 7-day trial and develop the interface of your projects. Also, let me tell you from my research that Balsamiq is the most useful interface in design programs.

I use this application to make screen models for software developed internally in the company

It is very good to make models and discuss them with end users, and with developers, it is easy to use and very friendly.

Pros

It is easy to use, friendly, you can make base models, prepare presentations to users, make several versions that allows you to select the optimal one and leave the history of other models, insert bootstrap icons, symbols to make it more similar to the final version, place annotations

Cons

When saving duplicates the symbols, it is difficult to erase them because when deleting they are removed from the ready models.

Hi Eliz and thanks for your review! We'd love to hear more about the issue you're seeing while deleting Symbols. If you have time, could you reach us via support@balsamiq.com? While it¿s totally fine if you don¿t have time for this, we¿ll be here to help if you¿d like! :) Kind regards, -Virgin from Balsamiq

A must-have for efficient UI design workflows

My overall experience with Balsamiq has allowed me to create A to Z interfaces, complete with live links and elements, to test and share concepts with my team. It's made it easy to share ideas for interface design and has become the first step to every new site we build out.

Pros

Balsamiq allows you to make speedy, basic wireframes and nail down all the details of your site/interface before implementing or designing them with graphics. The best feature is being able to depict any possible element used in web design: Menus, radio buttons, text boxes, popups, forms, anything you can imagine. It also allows you to show those items in different states--for instance, if you needed to depict a drop-down menu that had been opened to view all the available drop-down options. The deep customization allows you to work out every detail of an interface before going to production. Revision histories and alternate layouts provide lots of room for creativity--a critical part of building great user interfaces.

Cons

Some of the features, like revision histories, are hard to figure out at first and require a short learning curve. It takes some time to play around with elements and find all the available options, and also requires time to realize what elements are available to use. It's difficult to browse elements and all their states; you have to select them, and then dig deeper within the element's settings.

Balsamiq is a great way to create quick wireframe to visually capture ideas

Pros

The ease of use and the numerous options make Balsamiq a great tool to use to create quick wireframes. I've used it many times to create designs to illustrate ideas. The note feature allows you to add clarifications to the items in your wireframe.

Cons

I find the navigation a little clumsy. Additionally, when you go to the full screen view or hide panes and other menus it's a bit difficult to get it back to the way it was before. Also, the export feature isn't great. The output tends to be too small to read if you have many items in the board.

Hi Sarathi and thanks for your review. I just wanted to reach out and see if we can help with the pain points that you mentioned: - The different panels/elements of the editor are described on this page, along with the shortcuts to toggle them off/on: https://docs.balsamiq.com/desktop/overview - Pressing ESC while in the Full Screen Presentation Mode allows you to go back to the editor. - About the Export: we'd love to know more about your issue and which export option you are using. Could you reach out to support@balsamiq.com so we can help more? While it's totally fine if you don't have time for this, we'll be here to help if you'd like! :) - Virgin for the Balsamiq team

This is a great tool to create quick mockups to communicate design ideas for our products

I am able to create mockups quickly and efficiently to communicate design ideas to different stakeholders. It helps as a great starting point before we refine the design and move to high-fidelity mockups

Pros

It has a lot of pre-built shapes, icons, containers, symbols and form elements that make it easy and quick to build mockups for webpages or mobile app screens. The auto-save has been a life saver as I have a bad habit of not explicitly saving things I have work on. Ability to export mockups created in multiple formats makes it easy to attach the mockups in documents or with user stories for design and engineering to work on.

Cons

External images copied in to one project are available as assets only in that project and not others. So, I have to copy past them each time, which is inefficient. Some of the shapes, text formats are not as customizable as I would have liked. So, I have to find work arounds that are a little more time consuming

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your thoughts about our tool! :) I've added your vote for sharing assets between multiple projects. Also, we'd love to hear more about the controls that seem to be missing some properties for your usage. While it¿s totally fine if you don¿t have time for this, we¿ll be here to help if you¿d like (support@balsamiq.com) -Virgin