CrashPlan Reviews

User ratings

4.5

• Likelihood to recommend8.41/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

The 2nd greatest thing about CrashPlan is they have amazing customer service. I hardly ever find myself waiting and their help is always fast, precise and effective.
Easy to install and use in a hybrid setup, easy to deploy to users, unlimited storage (which is just awesome), customer support is good and they REALLY know their stuff.
The ease of use for deployment of the application to a laptop and or desktop is seamless. The dashboard is very easy to use and has useful information right on the main page.
I think I have been using it for 10 or 12 years, and I have never felt the need to look for another application. I am disappointed that they no longer offer an option for personal use.
The one time I needed the backup it said it hadn't run because I didn't run an update. I lost 4 months of financial data.

CrashPlan users...

IDrive-logocaret
listing-logo

IDrive

Carbonite-logocaret
listing-logo

Carbonite

How would you rate CrashPlan?

Data protection in an enterprise enviroment

My university has been using Code 42's CrashPlan for nearly 2 years now and the system just keeps getting better and better. The software is a fantastic tool that we put on every single staff and faculty machine to ensure data protections for the inevitable loss of data do to theft, hardware failure, or human error. Thanks to this software we are able to manage all of our user accounts though a cloud...

Pros

Security, Ease of use, Customer Champions,

Cons

Restore Speed can be a little lacking

Plug and Play functionality with worry-free backups.

Pros

CrashPlan will backup your entire server regardless of size for virtually nothing. I can't believe they can do it for such a nominal fee.

Cons

This seems like a stupid thing, but I really wish they would auto-send me my invoices each month. I have to reconcile my credit card statement and turn it in to our accountant who requires supporting documentation, and it is a bit of a hassle signing in to get the invoice when they could easily set it up to email me each month.

Great for the money

One of my favorite backup software, unfortunately, I might just have to shop around after they removed the family plan.

Pros

I loved this program, have been using it for over two years and I can't complain. It backs up your system entirely just in case.

Cons

Was very upset when they canceled their home plan. Backup should be simple to do. In one backup the system took 16gig of resources. Their backup schedule should be a simple setup. Backup files and then backup system image with files.

Great backup tool

I've been using Crashplan for the last 3 years. I purchased a family plan of 5 machines, so I'm able to backup my PCs as well as my wife's macbook, etc. I really like that I have the option to backup locally to another machine in my home, to someone else that I know that uses crashplan, as well as to the Crashplan Cloud. Several times, I've wanted a file from my home PC while at work so I just opened the Crashplan Application on my work PC, Change to my home PC, and restore the file I wanted. This saves me from having to have an FTP server running at home, possibly opening me up to security concerns. I'm also a big fan of the Android App. Once or twice now I've wanted a file while away from home/work so I just restore it via the app to my phone. :)

Pros

Easy to install & setup.

Cons

The cost is a bit higher than some of the other cloud backup services, but it's worth it.

Great endpoint backup product with some key

Pros

They nail the endpoint backup thing! The new features they have added are great for certain uses cases, such as legal holds and insider threat monitoring.

Cons

Would love to get away from the need for an on-premises appliance while still keeping the security that we get with the appliance. Would save the inconvenience of constantly updating and patching to keep up with all the latest and greatest. Would also love to have a native app rather than a Java based app.

Great for peace of mind and works when needed

Excellent

Pros

Knowing that if one of our users loses any data we can get it back, we don't need it often but it has definitely saved us a few times. We install it on all of our users computers and they don't even know it is there until they need it, it is lightweight and easy to use. Support is also excellent.

Cons

There really is nothing I do not like about it, we have tried a few different backup solutions and this is by far the best.

Crashplan is making a significant progress.

I have deployed Crashplan to multiple companies as a secondary, offsite backup solution.

Pros

-Simple to setup and use. -Very reliable. -Easy restores. -Unlimited retention. -Fairly inexpensive. -Server and desktop versions available.

Cons

-I feel the customer support is fairly lacking, but adequate if you are willing to wait a little bit. -I have experienced a lot of issues with creating an account and/or updating the CC recently on their website.

One of the best solutions we've chosen.

We had a backup solution in place for a number of years. We've finally decided that we needed a change. We spent time evaluating a number of different vendors. Eventually we decided on Code42 Crashplan. There support was great throughout the deployment and it is great with their continued support of their product.

Pros

Legal hold feature. Ability to lock down controls from administrator level and prevent users from not backing up. Ease of use for the client as well as the administrator console.

Cons

Night mode was removed from newer versions of the console.

Good backup cloud solution

Overall I like CrashPlan. It has been a reliable option for storing documents on my computer daily. It can be used for more than one computer and as long as it is connected to the internet it will store you documents in a cloud.

Pros

I like that it runs in the background when I schedule it to. It can easily store documents from more than one computer and is easy to set up. Retrieval of information and documents is easy and allows you to select some or all of the documents.

Cons

It is hard to get a hold of any customer service representatives. If there is an issue its hard to resolve quickly.

Good backup solution

After trying out 4 or 5 backup solutions, I've found CrashPlan to be the best of them. Good coverage, performance, and value for money.

Pros

Does what it's supposed to do, doesn't hog the machine, good versatile service for different situations.

Cons

As a developer I'm dealing with some special files it had problems with. Other than that it works great.

It's an easy to setup software to keep your files uploaded remotely

I lost my files because the software took weeks to upload everything. When I needed to retrieve my files I saw that not even half of my files were uploaded. Lost single copies to old photos. Customer service didn't provide any help other than "what's there it's there".

Pros

I liked that it was easy to install, plus it's one of the cheapest options to get your files stored remotely.

Cons

I found that it takes a lot of resources to keep everything up to date, also the transfer speeds are really slow. They should have an options to increase to unlimited bandwidth when the computer is not in use.

Fantastic Utility

Before starting with my current company I had not heard of Code 42 CrashPlan. I know of them now! They application is very easy to deploy and even easier to maintain. We deployed the application to over 150 field sales associates with little or no input or assistance from the help desk. The application is almost self maintaining. We have used the restore functionality on many occasions and have been successful in keeping our field sales associates technologically ready and current.

Pros

Ease of deployment Ease of use The support team

Cons

The movement from Cold Storage could use a little more work.

Reliable and fast backup solution

Pros

Trustworthy backup solution. Having used code42's backup solutions for both business and personal backups for over 5 years, I can attest to their reliability and speed of backup. Business plans allow one to access employee backups online, which saved us a ton of rework. Personal plans also allow remote restoration, giving real peace of mind regarding the safety of personal files.

Cons

Crashplan gives wonderful peace of mind!

I'm a wedding photographer and wouldn't be able to do it without multiple backups. I love having Crashplan because it's a consistent, off-site backup that runs automatically, so I don't have to worry if it's not being backed up. I get an email daily about the status and if there ever is a problem, I know right away. I also really like that it keeps my backup even if I take something off of my hard drive, which isn't something all of these cloud services do.

Pros

It runs automatically & keeps a copy on their server even if I remove it from my hard drive.

Cons

It can take a long time to do the initial backup.

CrashPlan By Code42 Provides Behind The Scenes Backup

CrashPlan solves my need to remember to do a full backup regularly. It also means that at any point in time if my hard drive fails I don't have to panic because restoring is easy.

Pros

Once CrashPlan is set up it runs continually, in the background, backing up as you work. I have not noticed any affect on my computer processing speed like I did with other backup software

Cons

Sometimes the backup on the second computer fails to connect.

Does exactly what it says and backs up the data you need securely in the cloud.

Pros

Once installed on the computer or server you would like backed up you never have to touch it again really. I've now installed this on 6 different machines in our business that I wanted to be backed up offsite and it works seamlessly and effortlessly. It runs in the background and has tons of settings in which you can modify how you want the backup to occur. You can choose which files, how often, when, how much bandwidth to use, how much CPU to use, and does it with ease.

Cons

I can't really come up with much of a con really. I use this as a company expense so that makes the price easier to swallow but I can still see this being useful for a single user at home as well.

Was great but no longer

Pros

Crashplan worked in the background without slowing down my computer. It works without you having to do anything once it is set up so you don't forget to do the backups. You can backup to the cloud as well as a local drive.

Cons

They have recently upgraded and will no longer support home users. Setting up was a bit confusing and finding individual files is kludgy.

CrashPlan is King

We have been using CrashPlan for almost 3 years now and it continues to impress as an endpoint backup solution. The true beauty of it lies in its stealth, simplicity and reliability. The easiest way to get end users on board with new technology is with technology that is invisible to them. Some of our users ask periodically if the backup is even running because they don't see anything. This is music to the ears of IT professionals. For around $1/week per user, you can't beat the quality, reliability and the value of CrashPlan PROe. The latest versions (5.x) are rolling out many new capabilities that we are excited to take advantage The home version works just as well for your personal devices, too.

Pros

It does everything it claims to do, and it does it quickly, quietly and seamlessly. The administrative console is easy to use and navigate. After the environment is up and running, maintenance and administration is minimal.

Cons

There is an occasional delay in responses to online tickets, mostly due to time zone differences depending on who picks it up. Phone support is faster if you cannot wait.

Good way to archive your whole machine to the cloud

Pros

Crashplan is great because most times I don't even remember it's there. However I am safe in the knowledge that should anything happen to my machine I have an up to date copy of all my data on the cloud.

Cons

The web interface is quite buggy and I had multiple issues trying to enter my credit card details into it until it was resolved by a support rep.

One of the best backup software

Because your data is very valuable, you need to take care of how you handle it. You want to secure your computer, with password and encryption, but you also want to make sure you won't lose anything. Your computer may be under warranty but if the hard drive break, you will lose all your data. You may receive a virus, delete a file by mistake, or overwrite the wrong version of a document. But, if...

Pros

Schedule Versioning Remote Recovery End-User management Bandwidth Management Encryption Easy-of-User

Cons

If you have to pay 120$ per computer per year, you may look at alternative that gives other features. Sometimes, Dropbox is enough.

Good backup

A good product overall. Takes the worry out of safely backing up data. Easy to recover files from the backup.

Pros

-easy to use and learn -simple and quick recovery of any files -can backup external drives -lots of storage -constant automatic backup of data

Cons

-pricing has been increasing signifivantly over time -uses a lot of system resources when it is backing up data

CrashPan Outgrew Me

It has become more difficult for an end user to navigate, but seems to do the job. I have never needed to restore, so I don't know how that would work.

Pros

When I first subscribed the service saved money for me. That has changed.

Cons

The service has changed to be business focused and when it did it became more difficult to use and more expensive.

Great product that is easy to use and does what it says

Pros

This product is very easy to use and setup. It's a great tool to have to allow your date to backup in the background while you are using your machine on the network.

Cons

I would say the two cons that I can think of would be the slowness of some of the backups that I have to see occur and it would be nice to have offsite backing up available.

CrashPlan, Really great for ease of mind.

We are using crashplan for a few years now. It's backup all files on ours computers really easy. It help prevent the lost of data either accidentally or via a malware.

Pros

-The user interface. -The flexibility of all the options for scheduling backups -The self service which is really great. -Really easy to backup to the cloud.

Cons

-Some of the settings are not easy to access -Sometime I had a few issues connecting to computer on the same LAN. -Huge amount of small files can be a pain to backup.

I use this to backup all my files to an external location!

Pros

The ease of use and "set it and forget" it by scheduling my backup nightly. I know my files are securely backed up off-site in case of emergency or major system failure.

Cons

Recently the software crashes or does not load on computer restart. I have to manually stop and start the service to make sure the application is running.