SQL Sentry Reviews

Pros

Overall it has been good working with them. CSR at the company is hands down a great resource and extremely helpful when I had an issue or just needed help getting something to work.

I was SUPER pleased with the turnaround. Along with the performance of the product, SenteyOne customer service moved us to purchase this product.

Blake M.

Eric R.

Eric R.

Rob G.

4.8

SQLSentry is the monitoring tool for SQL Server.

Whenever we have had any performance problems, SQLSentry has allowed me to get ahead of the problem and assisted in solving it quickly.

Pros

The dashboard gives a good overall view of each instance. I have been able to identify problems before helpdesk notified us. The Top SQL allows me to quickly identify which query/application is having a problem. The event chain, while rudimentary, still makes maintenance easier. Overall, this is the best monitoring tool I have seen for a DBMS.

Cons

The advisory conditions are difficult to manage. There is a steep learning curve in how to set them up and manage them. The event chains need some enhancements.

Great tool with great support.

I am extremely happy with my experience using SentryOne even with some of our holdups. This tool has proven useful time and time again. It has helped us troubleshoot active issues and find resolutions quickly. The value it has provided greatly outweighs its pitfalls.

Pros

SentryOne provides both useful information about our environment as well as accurate alerting for critical issues. The tool collects a lot of information from the servers that we use daily to troubleshoot issues and correct problem areas. The Conditions and Alerts allows us to respond to critical issues quickly by allowing multiple response options to a number of conditions.

Cons

Our group has had some issues with implementing SentryOne. The environment we support is very large and spread throughout the globe. Sometimes in very remote regions. This has caused us some issues with having all of our sites being monitored efficiently. However, SentryOne's support team worked with us to get these sites monitored and continue to work with us to improve the tools performance.

Great tool, limited active funtionality

I do like the product and have used it to find issues on many occasions. Originally it was my go-to to find all the issues. Now I tend to query the DB directly and turn to SS when I am not finding what I am looking for.... In some cases where I have an idea what the issue is I will confirm first with SS. I do wish it had more "active" functionality. Active doesnt have to run anything, but providing a script to run to dig deeper would be more helpful.

Pros

It helps find issues on your databases (across all databases you are licenced for). It can be helpful with new code to see how it will impact the database performance.

Cons

There are errors or warnings that are posted that are transient. The overall score can be impacted negatively by transient states.... not that I know how to get arround that. There are errors reported and when you try to get more information the details are a little cryptic. In some cases the issue being reported is inconsequential. There are some errors that are reported, but the source of the error is not easily found... it requires additional queries in SSMS to find the underlying issue. In some cases, it would be helpfull to have a drop down menu or a debug box to look into some of the more common issues.

What a change

3 years aliens involved in an evaluation of SQL Sentry. We found the product to be quite lacking. Fast forward to 12 months ago, I decided to give Sentryone another chance. I was SUPER pleased with the turnaround. Along with the performance of the product, SenteyOne customer service moved us to purchase this product!

Pros

The customization and ease of mining the data. The senteyone team is willing to share all that they can to make this product your own. The ability to add custom alerts removed the need for my team to start rolling their own solutions for data gathering. I also,like the way that I can give access to my development teams to see history of jobs and queries allowing my team to focus on other pressing matters.

Cons

The software could seam daunting to get started. The fact that it is so customizable could give some user trepidation in using the software. Maybe different editions of the software could ease smaller shops into using the product.

SQL Sentry

SQL Sentry saves alot of time, and nicely organises pertinant information for SQL Server performance. I can find poor performing queries faster than using my own sql scripts. It helps me with monitoring the general health of the SQL server, trends of performance and finding which procedures need work.

Pros

A quick way to find performance problems, and the software provides lots of information to solve them too.

Cons

This is a difficult question, i had to dig deep. The mouse scroll button does not always work within some forms.

Rest API alone was worth it

Pros

We decided to go with SentryOne mainly for the RestSource API connector. This allowed us to automate pulling down Google Adwords and Transaction data across our clients for Analytics purposes. In the past we would have a bunch of reports emailed to us where we would need to drop them manually to a folder and then run a package to import and create our final tables.

Cons

This con is not really about the software itself but more of the documentation on how best to use all of the components. It's hard to find good documentation so that you can go forward and ,work on all the components on your own.

SQL Server monitoring leader

SQL Sentry is now our go-to platform for monitoring SQL Server and troubleshooting SQL Server performance. Our developers use the SQL Sentry client as well and are able to investigate issues on their own without always having to rely on our Database Administrators.

Pros

SQL Sentry provides the most comprehensive view of SQL Server performance available. It allows us to very quickly identify performance issues and identify a root cause.

Cons

SQL Sentry can be challenging to set up for very large enterprises.

Specifically, Plan Explorer

Pros

It's free, it provides a ton of extra information (in a much easier to read format), and it integrates super cleanly with SSMS. It doesn't require Management Studio, but it's seamless to open a plan in SSMS and then view the details in Plan Explorer

Cons

It would be nice if it more closely integrated with the metadata in SQL. If I open a SSMS query plan in Plan Explorer, it won't give me index information unless I create the estimated plan in Explorer also. It makes you copy the query text over. Minor complaint, especially because it's an incredible value for the money. No reason NOT to use it.

Great product, better people

Pros

The software provides everything needed to manage and monitor servers, but the people and support staff that operate the company are their best asset.

Cons

More features out of the box and less customization per environment.

DBA

very useful tools for MSSQL DB monitoring

Pros

very good tools, able to check history, and generate report

Cons

didn't see yet.installation needs some pre-requisite

SQL Sentry is a great tools for DBAs

Currently we are using SQL Sentry to monitor critical business databases. It has helped show us what is actually happening on the SQL Server. Has helped us identified bottlenecks, what are our highest peaks times during the day. In overall it has greatly helped our DBA department do more efficiently their job.

Pros

Ease of use The dashboard presentation Reports

Cons

The way blocking is presented sometimes is a little confusing

SQL DBA III

Best support flexibility and customization on alerts

Pros

lot of customization on alerts. Free plan explore.

Cons

sometime Agent went offline without alert and have rebuilt counters on the server.

Great SQL Monitoring tool for IT

Very helpful tool. Helps us learn dates/times when SQL performance is impacted otherwise unknowingly.

Pros

Alerts and Dashboards and the number of days it can display.

Cons

There is just so much to review it's hard sometimes to tell what should be the main focus when looking for problems. Its a lack of training on our part not SentryOne

Comprehensive

Just started using it hoping to resolve tuning issues. Currently focused on alerting.

Pros

It has everything you could possibly think of.

Cons

It is somewhat overwhelming at first. Initial alerting out of the box settings you can easily be swamped with emails.