SimScale

Cloud-based CFD, FEA and thermal simulation via web browser.

SimScale Reviews

Pros

SimScale was extremely easy to use, had a nice user interface, and for my purposes, was free. I liked that it was web-based because I didn't have to use my computing power on my machine.

Good software that do not required powerful computer as it is based on the cloud. Easy to use for someone who knows CFA software, and you can download your cad from other softwares like catia.

Benjamin A.

Outputs from simulations have been encouraging for me, and the ability to download the FOAM file for my own post-processing is a great touch.

Jake C.

Cons

The lack of shell elements and the lack of possibility to model composite materials. SimScale also has limited functionality when it comes to fatigue.

Galin G.

Import of complex CAD often met with errors, SimScale did not point me in the direction of those errors in modelling.

Jake C.

Sometime there are some bug in the workspace, and with the nelew interface the post-processing is limited.

Easy to use, browser-based software with excellent customer support

Transcript

Erica: Hi, I'm Erica. I am a founder of a startup company, and I would give some scale, a rating of a...

Detailed & Easy

Pros

I am an OpenFOAM user and I like the freedom it gives the user to play with the parameters. SimScale offers the same level of freedom but with an interface that's simple and effortless to handle. Since it is cloud-based there isn't any need to download it and even the free version provides a lot of computing hours.

Cons

I am still exploring the software and have enjoyed every bit of it. I would appreciate if the tutorials emphasize more on the values used while mesh refining as well as Numerics and Simulation Control.

Easy to learn, even without previous FEA experience

I am an electrical engineer by training and don't routinely use FEA software in my current role. However, I had a problem that needed solving, no access to any other FEA packages, so I found SimScale. I probably won't be able to justify a fully licensed version, but the learning opportunity alone on the trial version is well worth your time investment. The ease of use and how quickly I was able to run a basic simulation was amazing. Even importing geometry was easy. Also very helpful is the ability to see how your solution is converging (or not). With that data you can make assessments about time step, mesh resolution, etc. It makes striking a balance between accuracy and computational intensity much easier to judge.

Pros

The online tutorials made this software very easy to gain a basic proficiency very quickly. The menu layout makes it easy to set simulation parameters and reduces the chance of missing something that will negatively impact the accuracy of your simulation.

Cons

So far I've found nothing that I don't like.

CFD + Customer Service need work

Pros

Speed Ease of use/understanding Complete control; SimScale has built-in options that allows more advanced users better control Customer support responds quickly

Cons

I worked on a project evaluating SimScale for use in a professional setting and the software was unable to provide accurate results for a simple CFD simulation that I worked on with customer support for quite some time. They were responsive, but seemingly unable to find any issue with my solution that would only converge with unreliable results, if at all. Soon, they stopped responding. It just looks like the implementation of OpenFoam for CFD and the support staff are not at the level they need to be for SimScale to work for us right now. Hopefully things will improve in the future!

Dear Mark, Thanks a lot for your feedback! I am sorry to hear that you didn¿t have a positive support experience. We treat the success of our customers as our success. So we aim at answering all user questions with effective solutions that help them get the job done faster. It seems like we didn¿t achieve that in your case. After a review of the support logs, it looks like this is what happened:...

Clean, easy to use FEA

I used SimScale largely to test out whether there was an alternative FEA program that I preferred to the programs I had used thus far. I found SimScale easy to use, but overall it wasn't the best fit for my needs at the time. Still, I would recommend SimScale if you don't need to get down into the fine details of FEA as much.

Pros

Cons

As with some commercial FEA products, SimScale allowed less "under the hood" tinkering with model parameters than other packages such as Abaqus.

Simple to use

We needed a CFD solution that came with great support for the casual user. We only use it a few times a year, but it gives us great results. This helps us to have confidence our designs will perform as desired.

Pros

For a company that does not have a full time simulation staff person this is perfect. Easy to learn and support is #1.

Cons

Nothing. This software is great. When I get interns and they need to simulate something I just link them up with SimScale. The support people at SimScale are great and help on board my staff.

Simscale evaluation

I compared the software with Ansys, which I used for many years, and it's getting close to provide me the same experience.

Pros

Cloud based, powerfull, easy to link with CAD

Cons

Not covering the dynamic explicit, post processing has been improved but still need improvement, no possibility to restart simulation in dynamic

All around support

Pros

It supports all types of 3D models and can be used from anywhere since it is cloud-based.

Cons

In the beginning, it is not very intuitive. Complicated simulations can become too much for the software.

SimScale User Experience

Excellent product at a reasonable price. With a professional subscription you get privacy for your data and a fixed amount of core hours that can be used for simulations. As you need you can buy more core hours at a very reasonable cost. Also, by controlling the number of cores (using simulation setup) you can manage the consumption of core hours. If you let the software automatically select the number of cores it can get quite expensive in terms of usage of core hours. Also, tutorials and consultants make all the difference in terms of speed of learning. Customer service provided by the consultants in terms of responsiveness, quality and depth is outstanding. I have never experience better service in my experience of working 25 years in the software development industry.

Pros

EASE OF USE: I used it for compressible flow fluid simulations. It is very easy to setup and run a simulation in SimScale and analyze the output. SimsScale GUI is excellent. You can specify specify forces and moments and/or area averages to monitor statistics across specific faces of objects and also obtain statistics using post processing simulation results using cutting planes and particle...

Cons

SimScale user experience is fundamentally very good. I only have minor issues. One feature I would really like to see in SimScale is to have the ability to specify surface area averages on a cross section created by an arbitrary cutting plane. Currently you can do that only on specific faces of a imported CAD object. For example inlets, outlets or surfaces. By defining a surface area average you...

Great general purpose CFD for beginners but lacking some features required by advanced users

It is a great choice to start tackling CFD, it is quite good in pricing and capabilities for a CFD beginner or even for a medium-experienced one. However, it lacks some developed tools required to manage complex simulations (which require more developed and powerful pre- and postprocessing tools)

Pros

The escalability (so you can launch lots of simulations simoultaneously) and not having to invest in hardware costs

Cons

The features available for postprocessing and meshing, which are very limited. For meshing the main problem is the lack of better tools to manage geometric primitives so you can control the mesh. For postprocessing the problem is having to know what results you need to extract before knowing the solution to your flowfield.

Great opensource option

Very good, you get enough core time to struggle and tinker with a problem until you get the simulation right.

Pros

I do maybe one or two simulations a year, and it is a great, fast inexpensive relatively easy to use tool

Cons

It is slightly dificult to use, but this can be expected considering how powerful it is

Excellent platform

I have tried several simulations - ranging from solid, fluid, particles etc. The platform is extremely well built and robust. I liked that it was extremely easy to use. The aspect I liked the most was that there is a community version that students and learners could use. In addition, I think the professional version serves best for more advanced users who would use simulations for design in a more...

Pros

Cons

There are definitely some aspects where they can improve: 1. Providing structural elements like shells, beams, and plates. Most of the large aspect ratio structures are very time consuming to model using 3D FEM 2. Allow users to use custom material models. Most often, in both industry and academia, we do not use material models given in the software but would like to input our own material model. This is what drives most of the R&D centres. 3. There are no ad-hoc algorithms that allow hexahedral mesh generation for all geometries. I can think this as one of the reasons why SimScale might not have hexahedral mesh generator. But this can be significantly useful for many applications.

Engineering simulation in the cloud

I have been using SimScale to tackle professional consulting projects, in the fields of structural analysis and flow simulation. It has allowed me to run detailed models to my like, and even run many simulations at the same time. All computation process and data is hosted in the cloud, so I can rest assured, turn off my computer and leave it running overnight. When needed help or advice, the forum is a great place with experienced, willing to help people.

Pros

The ability to run big models, such as FEA meshes in the order of 10 million nodes, and CFD in the order of 20 million cells, without the need of building a supercomputer is a game breaker. Just log in from a web browser and you are good to go to create, setup, run, supervise and post process any simulation. The support, both from the company and in the forum by other users is superb. Also, easy to access online tutorials, documentation, webinars and example projects lower the entre barrier for professionals that are new in the field.

Cons

Still missing some functionality to be considered a complete suite, basically some FEA and CFD simulation models.

Convenience - and Beyond

All members of the team operating SimScale routinely agree that SimScale is their default, the first and final choice.

Pros

Our use of SimScale was, in every respect, the product of an unforeseen use-case - and it happened to have a positive impact on our company. What was, initially, an uninformed purchase we simply had to make in order to facilitate the very specific needs of a client on short notice, resulted in the establishment of a team dedicated to SimScale - which has in the last eight months almost doubled its...

Cons

We had minor difficulty making use of the software, but this was because of lack of experience on our end, rather than a flaw on the end of SimScale.

Great software for CFD simulation and workflow

We started with using the Community plan and then upgrade. We were able to simulate the built environment with respect to air temperature, wind speed, humidity and mean radiant temperature and the quality of output/results were commendable. The computational power is enormous, which is a first for CFD software. SimScale is user-friendly and has a simple interface. Highly recommended.

Pros

The fact that SimScale is completely web-based CFD software that is capable of providing tangible outputs in a short period of time with the help of real-time simulation with no reduction in resources of the system, is the best aspect of this software. This is better than other CFD software that typically takes weeks to simulate a 24 hour period with basic boundary conditions. SimScale allows us to...

Cons

Customer care can be a bit more proactive in solving issues. Secondly, there is currently no option to calculate PET, SET and UTCI which are outdoor thermal comfort parameters and can be added in a future upgrade.

Cloud Simulation Really Works

I have used a lot of simulation packages over the past twenty five years including Nastran, Ansys, Solidworks, and a host of others. I have been using Simscale for about nine months now and it has become my goto simulation tool. The cloud concept provides a lot of benefits and one of my favorite is the convenience it allows. I am no longer tied to my Windows workstation, now I perform most of...

Cons

Thanks for such a great feedback, Christopher!

a simulating software for everyone

Simscale i would describe as a tool for everyone. Especially as beginner without deep knowledge it is really easy to setup a simulation and run it. There are also many tutorials, example projects and a pretty good documentation online so you can learn how to use it. If you still have questions or need help you can use the forum and there is also chat integrated. If you use the chat you will have mostly...

Pros

+ no hardware requirements + no installation + cloud + it offers wide toolsets for CFD and FEM + brilliant support + high value in customer feedback + huge community with a lot of example projects + good documentations

Cons

- missing features (there is a lot of ongoing development) - big models with a high mesh count are expensive to run

Amendment in model tree

Simscale is good simulation software and also your efforts toward beta version of post processing is really great but whenever I hover mouse arrow over some of the items of value editing interface such as Details of load Boundary conditions I do not feel that there is something related to properties after type option because some time it does not show expanded mode of details so as a result...

Cons

Thank you for your feedback, Amrit! We will look into it. We are working on improving the platform for our users on a constant basis, so your comments are very much appreciated!

An amazing tool

This tool has enabled me and my colleagues to achieve great results in car aerodynamics simulation. Its simplicity made easy to explain CFD simulations to the "newbies" and improve our workflow.

Pros

It is a great tool because is offers a lot of power for the simulations and simplicity of use that is unrivaled by other tools.

Cons

Sometimes there are very specific needs that cannot be satisfied. This problems affects only minor aspects of the simulations: SimScale can always be used as a main tool

Good but could be better

Pros: easily accessible, relatively ease of use, based on very good solvers, good customer experience and communication. Cons: lack of "pay as you go option", lack of free access to CFD tutorial license option to get proficient in the software to reduce price of use, such payment solution pushes away people who don't have regular customer base yet from SimScale to CalculiX, OpenFOAM, Salome platform. For the price of the training and 1 year access I did OpenFoam training with accommodation in Italy. OpenFOAM itself doesn't cost a bit! I recommend: - introducing pay as you go option, -allowing other simulations for free with limited amount of nodes/elements to learn the interface -reduce the price for training Generally very good idea! Regards, Arek

Cons

Dear Arek, since your feedback in 2015, we changed a few aspects. We hope you will be happy to find out that: - The free Community plan was introduced, which gives access to all simulation features for public projects at no cost - The price for SimScale Professional Training was reduced from 1500 EUR to 500 EUR: https://www.simscale.com/professional-training/ - more than 25 workshop series and webinars recordings were published for free on the SimScale website: https://www.simscale.com/learning/webinars/ - on the Tutorials page you can find 40 step-by-step simulation tutorials that can help you learn SimScale for free: https://www.simscale.com/step-by-step-tutorials/

Simscale after a 1.5 years

Very positive experience. When I had questions about the product I had very enthusiatic assistance from the simscale support team. I also very much enjoy the Simscale forum. It is an open place to discuss simulations, and any questions you might regarding the product.

Pros

I really like the ability to create multiple simulations to run parallel. Also the large offering of post processing allows for very informational and diverse results to be presented.

Cons

Sometimes it was a bit confusing what could create a simulation fail. This could have been inexperience with FEA, but as I used the product more and more I was able to increase my success rate and avoid common recurring errors.

CAE without the capital investment

Interesting project that keeps evolving all the time. The customer service is extremely good and personal. From onboarding to troubleshooting.

Pros

It fits an agile workflow very well, without blocking a workstation (which is not needed, any laptop will do) and no overhead of maintains your own cluster. The tools tend to be a bit slower then proprietary solutions but the messaging workflow is nice. Connection to Onshape cloud cad is a big plus.

Cons

Some features change their functionality and or disappear for a while. They are brought back later and better, but it hinders the workflow.

Really cool simulation platform!

Hello, I'm a student and I am part of the Formula Student. Therefor I wanted to learn Simscale after I participated in the FSG Workshop for Aerodynamics which was taught by Simscale. I think it is really practicable that it works cloud based. Therefor the simulations run through much faster and you can decide about the cores without having your CPU getting killed. :D I think the workshops are awesome...

Easy to use, browser-based software with excellent customer support

Great training and customer support, easy to use interface that didn't require linux knowledge or other specialized knowledge. Ability to run models from any browser without the need for complex computing.

Pros

The user interface for this software, coupled with fantastic customer support and training, make it very easy to jump in and start using it to model complex scenarios from day one. The cloud-based computing means that I didn't need to dedicate an expensive computer to CFD modeling, and could run multiple simulations at once while still operating my main computer.

Cons

I've used the software primarily for CFD, and there have been a few pieces of openFOAM functionality (which is simscale's CFD backend) that haven't yet been migrated into simscale, so flexibility in modeling is slightly reduced from openFOAM. However, this is greatly made up for by the ease of use of the software and community experience.

surely recommend SimScale

I guess the above says it all. Excellent CFD tool. Perfect support in both - knowledge, patience and response time!!

Pros

SimScale covers several applications for CFD analysis. My office is doing analysis and design for structures in the widest form. We do structures in Civil Engineering, Aeronautics, industrial equipment of all types. SimScale seems to fit any application within this list! The LBM option for wind pressure distribution on high rise. The PWC - an automated solution for wind comfort. The incompressible for airfoils etc. The multi-phase for liquid-air interaction. and probably a lot is yet to come.....

Cons

1. Show the CFL criteria plotted while running. 2. Enable video screen capture! now using 3rd party app.

Great software with great customer support

Great experience would definitely recommend for anyone that wants/has to design and simulate a product or objec. As a engineering student I feel this is a great software to learn and increase knowledge in design and materials.

Pros

SimScale is a great package, I personally used it as an educational resourse for the biomedical industry and I absolutely loved it. It has a whole set of functions and tools that allows you to design, pre-process, and post-process. It also contains the geometry, mesh and simulation tabs that make this software incredible realiable. The webinars SimScale offers are really helpful and allows you to learn more about te software and opens the options of use in many industries. The staff are always very helpful and willing to explain and help in any topic.

Cons

Even though it is a great software and has all the main tools and functions, it still lacks a few features that are highly used in some industries.