SimScale Reviews

4.33/5 (48 reviews)

Ajay Bangalore Harish

Excellent platform

Reviewed 2016-10-06

I have tried several simulations - ranging from solid, fluid, particles etc. The platform is extremely well built and robust. I liked that it was extremely easy to use. The aspect I liked the most was that there is a community version that students and learners could use. In addition, I think the professional version serves best for more advanced users who would use simulations for design in a more pronounced manner and on an everyday basis. The forums are extremely helpful and I am really glad regarding the speed at which one receives replies both from the people working in the company and also other users. In addition, the blogs and help files definitely make it really easy to use the platform. One of the aspects I also liked is the fact that it is based on open-source codes. So it is not a black box. I could go to openFOAM and check out how things work. The codes are all well parallelized that I have never faced any issues. Issues with parallelization are a general problem in this line of work but with SimScale this was really handy. There are definitely some aspects where they can improve: 1. Providing structural elements like shells, beams, and plates. Most of the large aspect ratio structures are very time consuming to model using 3D FEM 2. Allow users to use custom material models. Most often, in both industry and academia, we do not use material models given in the software but would like to input our own material model. This is what drives most of the R&D centres. 3. There are no ad-hoc algorithms that allow hexahedral mesh generation for all geometries. I can think this as one of the reasons why SimScale might not have hexahedral mesh generator. But this can be significantly useful for many applications. I am sure this is a platform with great potential for the future & I will look forward to upcoming features.I have tried several simulations - ranging from solid, fluid, particles etc. The platform is extremely well built and robust. I liked that it was extremely easy to use. The aspect I liked the most was that there is a community version that students and learners could use. In addition, I think the professional version serves best for more advanced users who would use simulations for design in a more pronounced manner and on an everyday basis. The forums are extremely helpful and I am really glad regarding the speed at which one receives replies both from the people working in the company and also other users. In addition, the blogs and help files definitely make it really easy to use the platform. One of the aspects I also liked is the fact that it is based on open-source codes. So it is not a black box. I could go to openFOAM and check out how things work. The codes are all well parallelized that I have never faced any issues. Issues with parallelization are a general problem in this line of work but with SimScale this was really handy.

Christopher Quijano

Cloud Simulation Really Works

Reviewed 2016-05-25

I have used a lot of simulation packages over the past twenty five years including Nastran, Ansys, Solidworks, and a host of others. I have been using Simscale for about nine months now and it has become my goto simulation tool. The cloud concept provides a lot of benefits and one of my favorite is the convenience it allows. I am no longer tied to my Windows workstation, now I perform most of my analysis on a $250 chromebook. I can work on my simulations anywhere and I no longer have to worry about my ram or graphics drivers or versions of Windows. While the convenience of a browser based simulation tool is great, it has also allowed me to run models larger than I have ever conceived on my own workstation. I can run a static analysis with over 20 million DOFs and it will solve in a couple of hours. The value proposition is another huge benefit. The annual subscription rate is less than the maintenance fee I paid on my Solidworks Simulation with only linear static capability. Simscale includes linear and nonlinear structural analysis as well as thermal and CFD. I am also saving money because I do not have to worry about updating my workstation or Windows. Simscale is not a perfect tool, the two biggest areas of pain for me are the element types and the post processing. Right now Simscale does not support shells, beams, or springs. They are limited to primarily to tet elements so you have to use workarounds to accomplish some things. Also, the online post processor works well for small and medium jobs but for really large jobs you will need to postprocess locally. One other noteworthy area is customer service. Simscale probably has the most responsive customer service of any of the simulation companies I have work with.

Amrit pal Singh

Amendment in model tree

Reviewed 2016-11-04

Simscale is good simulation software and also your efforts toward beta version of post processing is really great but whenever I hover mouse arrow over some of the items of value editing interface such as Details of load Boundary conditions I do not feel that there is something related to properties after type option because some time it does not show expanded mode of details so as a result one can get confused where to fill up force properties.For this I advice you, Tell your front end web interface developer of software that Detail portion should be highlighted by some outlining so that One can easily find that something in this particular portion without reading details or you can write something easy their like ADD THE VECTORS etc. Instead of Only writing just DETAILS. and Same thing happens with hovering arrow over simulations tree,Indication of selecting particular term in this just highlighted by switching arrow in hand but efficient way to turn it highlighted or emphasized by changing color of terms ,Last one and very important ,You should add search engine to scene tree so that one can easily select search particular surface or entity so that Time of searching manually reduced Because It is very difficult search a entity from hundreds If you want to take look you can look over MSC FOOSA model tree search type .You Will get lot of help from that. Thank you

Arek Pajak

Good but could be better

Reviewed 2015-10-09

Pros: easily accessible, relatively ease of use, based on very good solvers, good customer experience and communication. Cons: lack of "pay as you go option", lack of free access to CFD tutorial license option to get proficient in the software to reduce price of use, such payment solution pushes away people who don't have regular customer base yet from SimScale to CalculiX, OpenFOAM, Salome platform. For the price of the training and 1 year access I did OpenFoam training with accommodation in Italy. OpenFOAM itself doesn't cost a bit! I recommend: - introducing pay as you go option, -allowing other simulations for free with limited amount of nodes/elements to learn the interface -reduce the price for training Generally very good idea! Regards, Arek

Eva Stephan

Really cool simulation platform!

Reviewed 2017-03-11

Hello, I'm a student and I am part of the Formula Student. Therefor I wanted to learn Simscale after I participated in the FSG Workshop for Aerodynamics which was taught by Simscale. I think it is really practicable that it works cloud based. Therefor the simulations run through much faster and you can decide about the cores without having your CPU getting killed. :D I think the workshops are awesome you can learn really fast. You get immediately support if you have an error with your simulation or some ideas to gain a solution for a specific technical problem. The project sharing function makes it easy to communicate with other Simscale Users so that they may help you if you have issues. I also like the different kinds of simulations they're offering. There's e.g. the CFD sector with compressible, multiphase and lots and lots of features. The only sad thing is that it is not easy to handle for new customers or students. But with the workshops you may learn it if you want to so they give much effort to it to make it handsome and I think they do a great job. If you guys would improve the simulation program by making it easier to understand and handle it without converting everything in STL ASCII and maybe improve the CAD-handling in the program then it would be easier for students and for new users too and then I'll give 5 stars for ease of use too. The workshops are fine. :)

Erika Boeing

Easy to use, browser-based software with excellent customer support

Reviewed 2017-09-05

Great training and customer support, easy to use interface that didn't require linux knowledge or other specialized knowledge. Ability to run models from any browser without the need for complex computing. The user interface for this software, coupled with fantastic customer support and training, make it very easy to jump in and start using it to model complex scenarios from day one. The cloud-based computing means that I didn't need to dedicate an expensive computer to CFD modeling, and could run multiple simulations at once while still operating my main computer.

Mark Hiemstra

CFD + Customer Service need work

Reviewed 2017-07-10

Speed Ease of use/understanding Complete control; SimScale has built-in options that allows more advanced users better control Customer support responds quickly

Daniela Lovedo

Great software with great customer support

Used weekly for free trial
Reviewed 2018-08-23

Great experience would definitely recommend for anyone that wants/has to design and simulate a product or objec. As a engineering student I feel this is a great software to learn and increase knowledge in design and materials. SimScale is a great package, I personally used it as an educational resourse for the biomedical industry and I absolutely loved it. It has a whole set of functions and tools that allows you to design, pre-process, and post-process. It also contains the geometry, mesh and simulation tabs that make this software incredible realiable. The webinars SimScale offers are really helpful and allows you to learn more about te software and opens the options of use in many industries. The staff are always very helpful and willing to explain and help in any topic.

Ermo Täks

Short introduction to test some simple metal constructions

Reviewed 2015-10-09

I encountered some problems regarding model creation during process. Problem is that I tried to repeat tutorial described process, so failed on a half way and was not able to repeat this on my own models. So excellent idea, fantastic solution but complex enough not to hit it on first time and some minor questions regarding repeating the lessons. Sorry I have not found time to get in deeper, but please continue to develop this solution. :)

Amritpal Singh

Advertisement technique isn't upto the mark and simscale should collaborate with cloud based cad

Reviewed 2016-10-11

As you know that your simscale platform is a great platform performing simulation on cloud and if you will perform a serve there are many regions on earth where internet speed is really great but In that region people buy moderate laptops and those can't perform simulation on 2 to 4 core laptops even though colleges have also low core configuration computers however if they use your platform with integration cloud based cad software and I believe if you take one step ahead with two advancements in your simscale ,first Collaborate your simscale with cloud based cad software and Second Spend more money on advertisement specially in colleges & schools. I realized it in my NORTH region of PUNJAB (INDIA) what I have written above. However if you give me official rights to advertise your product in my region then I can prove that I am right and your product will get more attention. THANK YOU for giving me chance to ignite your simscale improvements with my words.I like the most about this software is background computation in mesh and simulation.

Anonymous

Great simulations

Reviewed 2018-12-14

Being a cloud-based tool makes it great because you can access your scenarios from anywhere plus it is really easy to interact with. Great customer service that helps you through a lot of issues

Harald Schmid

An excellent tool for mechanical analysis

Reviewed 2017-09-15

Shorter development cycles, more capability in analysis mechanical components during the design stage.It has a great user interface. Projects can be shared, version managed, and worked on collaboratively. It offers easy access to state of the art open source FEA analysis algorithms without all the hassle.

Andrea Foschiatti

Too much for me (and for free)

Reviewed 2016-10-07

First, I'm an industrial designer, with no experience in simulation and a brief training in structural analysis. I tried this software this summer while designing a product for the startup I work for, attracted by 2 words: "online" and "free". They have very slim budget and moreover I'm no expert in simulation, so spending money for a tool I couldn't use would make no sense. Me and my colleague, which is more familiar with simulations, were surprised by how easy was to use the program and how much did it offer for free: for example, the hours of cloud computing are a good feature for people working without a great hardware, or without enough time! Unfortunately, none of us was familiar enough with simulations to extract value from this tool, even if customer assistance has been outstanding.

Gustavo Careaga

Nice aproach and easy to use.

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2016-11-07

the software is pretty useful, the tutorials are enogh if you had use any simulation software before, in the other hand, if i compare it with ansys im not sure about the the accuracy of the methods or the calculations. but as a fact if i have a hurry, i will use simscale it is faster. the way it manage the data. you can work any time and almost everywere

Yerko Gatica

Download pre procesador files

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2016-10-06

I'm really happy for this application on cloud, is easy to use and also has big power, but has is possible to download files post-proces and every all can use Paraview stand alone in the personal computer, i good like to download files like pre-procesator for Open Faom / Calculix /Su2 and also to mesh files. Running on cloud.

Jon Roberts

Excellent Product with outstanding support and learning resources!

Reviewed 2016-10-12

My experience with simscale has been great, the effort that has gone it ensuring a good user experience and workflow is clear and they done a great job. Ease of use far exceeds what i have found with other commerical products that are priced much higher. I especially commened the efforts that have been made in regards to learning resources which has made the transition from other software much easier. There are some area for inprovements such as the import of geometery which can sometime cause issues and the ability to pause simulations would also be extremly useful. Overall i have been very satisfied with the simscale product.

Andy Soundy

Simscale: The Thingiverse of CFD

Reviewed 2016-10-06

Simscale enables users to design and run various forms of physical modelling from the user's web-browser. From Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), the capabilities are very broad. Providing a user-friendly interface and cutting the barriers to learning, e.g. access to software and computational power, Simscale represents a very promising way of learning various elements of computational modelling.

Ben Lewis

SimScale Makes High End Simulation Accessible to Everyone

Reviewed 2016-05-18

I run a small engineering business. In the past, high end simulation software was out of reach, but now SimScale makes it accessible to everyone. SimScale provides professional grade simulation tools with many of the features found in high end alternatives, but at a fraction of the price. SimScale runs on high performance computers in the cloud, the user only needs a web browser for configuration. SimScale is backed by a talented and enthusiastic support team. It also has a helpful on-line community. SimScale is free for public projects.

Desta Milkessa Edessa

My Little experience

Reviewed 2015-10-09

Though, I didn't explore all the functionalities of the software, I found it a wounderful idea with wonderful tutors. From the first day I learbed about SimScale, I was recommending to all my friends and introducing it, as I was really facinated. A little cons is that, it is a bit slow!

Jorge Pablo Díaz Velilla

It's great it's free and powerful enough to face complicated projects

Reviewed 2015-10-13

On one hand, it's friendly and with the help of videotutorials you can find in youtube, it's easy to manage. In addition, it's free in basic version. On the other hand, it's need to be connected to internet during the period of parametrization, in ocassions is necessary to wait for a certain of minutes to finish all the process. I think it could be a good idea to offer an offline software of SimScale. What do you think about it? Anyhow, it's a great idea indeed: thank you for developing this software. Go for it!

Enrique Martin

First impression and great feedback

Reviewed 2015-10-14

Simscale is a great software to develop your knowledge about numerical simulation. For me, one of the best things is the customer service, there are several people trying to assist you and always asking you if they can help you. Maybe the biggest con, is that it's a bit difficult to establish all the possible conditions of a simulation. One of the biggest advantages is that all modules (Fluid dynamics, Solid mechanics, Acoustics...) are similar, so, if you know one of them, it's really simple to learn another one.

Will Davies

Simscale is an excellent program for what it does.

Reviewed 2015-10-10

I have been using SimScale for a variety of different tasks here at Tin Whiskers. I have needed static structural analyses, and static thermo analyses. So far, the results I have received have proved satisfactory. A few times, I have made an error in the sim setup, the run threw an error and the sim didn't work. A change I propose is to have the log be a little more helpful it telling you where your error is. Other than this, I really enjoy using the software and look forward to using it in the future.

Hariharan Gunasekar

Usage and Support

Reviewed 2016-10-06

I'm actually an Electronics Engineer, I tried to learn CFD using Simscale which was one of the best decisions that I had ever took. They offered several hours of free usage using which i tried out different stuffs. Also as a beginner I could use the software with ease with just a little help from the forums. The support provided is cool and your doubts are clarified as soon as possible. 1) UI 2) Easy to use

AJ Brown

Good Cloud Based Software

Reviewed 2016-10-11

I enjoy using SimScale and the added advantage of having it on the cloud vs on my machine. When I set up a simulation that will take some time I can still use my computer to do other work while the simulation is running and not have to worry about my machines performance being low. That and I don't have to invest in upgrading my hardware. Cloud based

Daniela Lopez-Velarde

really good simulation program

Reviewed 2016-11-04

SimScale is a very good, easy yo use and useful program to simulate any kind of process or design. The customer support is very effective, they help you with everthing and are quick to answer your questions. you can do a lot of simulations of many subjects, it is easy to use and the staff is always willing to help with all the questions you have.