RescueTime Logo

RescueTime

Time management for teams of knowledge workers

RescueTime Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.78/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Strong time management and productivity software that helps with personal and professional accountability and growth.
Lack of detail in reporting (RescueTime is not a replacement for time tracking for contractors). Always on nature of recording can pose a privacy risk.
I can get details in Timeline view, opening each item one by one... but this is really odd.

EL

Eero L.

Manager

Consumer Electronics, 1-10 employees

The best time-tracking tool. Period.

Transcript

Eero: My name is Eero. I'm a digital entrepreneur, and I rate RescueTime five out of five. More reviews...

Lilian M.

Sales Consultant

Automotive, 501-1,000 employees

Time Management

Transcript

Lillian M.: Hello, my name is Lillian. I am a digital marketing executive, and I'll give RescueTime five...

Stephen S.

Law Practice,

Affordable, Easy-to-Use Productivity and Time Tracking Solution

RescueTime allows me to keep tabs on my self essentially. I can see what I've been doing and how long I was doing it. Specifically, it allows me to see how much time I wasted on Facebook and how much time I spent working on a project.

Pros

RescueTime requires little to no configuration or attention. You simply install it on your computer and/or install the various browser plugins and let it do its thing - tracking your activities and time.

Cons

As an analytics nerd, I would like to see RescueTime have even more tracking features and abilities. The one con that I will mention is having to specifically allow RescueTime to specifically track what is being done in certain websites/applications.

CB

Collin B.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Simple to use, takes a little bit of setup, but worth it

Good weekly reporting of time usage, with decent granularity. It's totally out of the way and does everything without me thinking about it now that I have all of my apps and regular websites categorized.

Pros

It's really easy to use and once you go through setting things up it takes no thought or effort. It just runs in the background and reports weekly. Knowing that it's running helps me stay on task.

Cons

The auto-categorization works okay, but I needed to spend a good chunk of time custom categorizing various apps and websites because it was throwing off my reporting. (But I AM glad that they at least allow you that option)

Kaila C.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Not the best time managment software but not bad either

Pros

Its a simple software to use, that keeps track of how and where you use your time on the computer, it´s really helpful to see at the end of the day how much time you spent doing what and to complete the goals you set for your self and it helps a lot knowing really how much "working" time you spend not being productive

Cons

Since i work on different projects but on the same software or webpage it became hard to track how much of thet time was actually spent on the different programs, so it didnt really work for me

TG

Tami G.

Thank you Rescue Time for keeping me on track!

peace of mind that I am on task and spending the right amount of time working

Pros

I love the report that they send me each week, which shows how much time I have been spending on each task. Even better is that it was all set up for me, without me having to input anything extra. I like that it separates tasks into client work, and non-productive time and provide a visual chart graphic to help me really see how I am doing.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like! Since social media is both a business task and personal/entertainment it is hard to know 100% on that one category, but I don't think that is a fault of the software.

Jordan D.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Bought This After Hearing About It From Tim Ferris...

Pros

Like any productivity tool, I subscribed because I wanted to hold myself more accountable and analyze the applications and the websites that I visit from day to day. It's been amazing to see how much time I'm going through my emails and adjust based on how I want to make my workflow more productive. I love that the product is simple enough to set up and monitor my computer usage without any manual processes.

Cons

The availability of the tool without many videos or sources on how to get the most out of RescueTime. I'm still finding new ways to incorporate this in my workflow though.

Christian M.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

RescueTime is a sanity saver!

Being a salaried employee working remotely, it’s hard to track your time when your workload is constantly heavy and changing. Tracking how long I spend on certain applications and getting rid of distractions is so easy with RescueTime. It’s not expensive at all for Premium and is worth every penny!

Pros

I love the dashboard and how I can categorize each application to accurately track my time. I get an IFTTT e-mail every night telling me how long I worked.

Cons

There’s nothing I don’t like the least about the software.

David K.

51-200 employees

Surprisingly accurate and very insightful

gives great insight into your day and helps keep yourself in check from distractions!

Pros

It was easy to get set up and customize what behavior is considered valuable or not to my work day. It gave me a good personal metric to keep myself on track throughout my work week.

Cons

Nothing really, it delivers what it promises and even works on your desktop! I did not trying using this with a team and only used it personally, i imagine that with a team there are ways to beat the machine

Gerardo Esteban C.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

What I like most of rescuetime is it's ability to detect when an user is not using the computer.

It was great, it solves the problem of not doing overtime or tracking extra paid time.

Pros

I like how RescueTime tracks all the apps the user has opened and use as well as the browsers links. I like it's idle time feature. And their reports and graphics.

Cons

You can't track by project and make estimations about each time-consuming project in the company. The promp ask you about some time idle is so useful but is not active by default.

Yannick W.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Interesting Tool but doesn't always work

Pros

- very automated, install and forget about it - easy to see how productive you are and set goals

Cons

- sometimes doesn't detect activity when it's happening, skewing results - sometimes not very good at identifying the nature of programs - privacy concerns

Michal L.

Legal Services,

RescueTime lets me see how much "business" work I do each week.

Pros

1. Easy to use. 2. Easy to customize/configure to track the things I do. 3. I use the free version, which has great features for free. 4. Being competitive, I like to try and beat my previous week's score and be more productive.

Cons

There are few things I don't like about RescueTime. They have new versions out frequently, but the install is completely painless (does not require a computer restart), so it is a very minor inconvenience.

VA

Vinicius A.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Grade your productivity

It’s free, and in the first week you will see the transformation it can make at your day job. You'll see where you are wasting too much time, and what you have to cut out in order to stop losing attention on what really matters. Tip for the development team: Please do, invest in design, the product is good and affordable, a good UI/UX project can bring a great perception of value.

Pros

I was first introduced at rescue time by a work colleague, he was claiming that he could do pomodoro time, and in the end of the day he knew how much focused and productive he had been. I was curious out by this tool, so I start using it and became impressed in how simple and silent it was, it was just a icon occult in my taskbar. It demands only 3mb of pc memory and maps everything that I do. He is aware of the types of websites I'm accessing because he already has a database. However I had to edit some sites as research/work/etc. (like my company website).

Cons

The interface is ugly and outdated, but the use is so simple that maybe not the focus of development team. The information architecture and content at the dashboard page is the biggest problem, a simple redesign could do miracles.

ML

Michal L.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great tool for staying productive

I have recommended this product to our attorneys. Great way to keep track of how much time you spend weekly on business related activities on your workstation.

Pros

Easy to use: RescueTime is very intuitive and easy to use. Once it is downloaded and installed, it starts automatically. Easy to customize: It just takes a few clicks to tell RescueTime which activities are productive for your business. Weekly summary report: RescueTime doesn't blow up your inbox, but rather sends a weekly summary to help you keep your time spent on business on track. Tracks the user on multiple workstations: If you use more than one workstation, RescueTime will aggregate your time. Regular, easy updates: RescueTime updates come out regularly, and take a single click. Yay! Great value for the money: I use the FREE version, and it does what I need.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. However, I have not use the paid version of RescueTime, so I don't know what features or benefits I am missing out on.

Renewables & Environment, 11-50 employees

RescueTime helps you manage the most limited resource you have.

Pros

I love that RescueTime is both easy to use, requiring very little setup, and also infinitely customizable, meaning that over time you can mold it to exactly what you want it to be doing. For instance, in tracking how productively you are using your time, it already knows that certain websites are distracting and certain ones are productive, but if your work requires you to spend some time on a specific "distracting" website, you can re-categorize it as needed to capture that.

Cons

I have very few complaints about RescueTime. I feel like it does everything I need it to do. If anything, I wish the free version had more features, but I am more than happy to pay for the premium version to get the features I need.

KG

Kate G.

Game Changing App If You Track Your Time Hourly

It's a great way for me to track my time across different computers. I use it to make sure I'm recording all of my time in my daily time sheets that I use to bill clients at the end of the month.

Pros

I really like that it's simple and efficient at tracking and grouping the time I spend online so that I can use that data to update my daily timesheets.

Cons

It would be great if it would group some of the time into more specific categories - it will just say "Adwords" and it would be great if they had the campaign number so I can see which client where I actually spent my time. That said, I use the free version so that feels like a crap compliant considering I use it all the time and it's free.

MN

Maciej N.

Financial Services, self-employed

Very reliable time management app

I underestimated RescueTime for too long. Thanks to a great blog they have (many useful time management articles) I stumbled upon their productivity course. The quality of that course made me rethink using RescueTime on a daily basis. I recommend it to every busy professional.

Pros

The most powerful feature of RescueTime is tracking on what activities you spend your time and when you do this. The power comes especially from being on every device you use.

Cons

I would like to see more features inside the mobile app. Especially regarding easily logging offline time.

Abdul Waudud C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

RescueTime is a Very useful Online Time Management Tool

I love this tool and will continue to use it.

Pros

RescueTime is a great tool when it comes to keeping track of your precious time online. It monitors each and every website you visit and the apps you use. And most importantly it tracks how much time you spend on each of them. It automatically categorizes most of the apps and sites you use on a productive or destructive level. You can always map various sites according to your requirements. It gives very detailed stats weekly and shows exactly how you spend your time online. It also helps you to set weekly productivity goals and reduce unproductive time spend. It seamlessly works in the background and tracks time on your PC and Mobile. RescueTime free version is enough for most of the user.

Cons

A real-time notification would be helpful. RescueTime pro version is a little costly.

JI

Joby I.

Great way to make sure you stay on task

Pros

Just works away in the background no intrusive at all rescue time just tracks what you are spending your time on day by day then sends you a report of how productive you have been. It's nice to have targets to aim at for your productivity and interesting to see actually how you spend the time on your laptop , with the reports this is pretty easy.

Cons

Sometimes it is easy to forget it there (which is good and bad) and therefore not stop procrastinating until its to late.

CB

Chelsee B.

Fairly customizable even on the free plan

Pros

Seamlessly tracks my time and send me a weekly update to give me an idea of where I'm spending my time

Cons

While you can generally customize the way different websites/programs are categorized, there isn't a way to do onetime categorization. Which means there isn't a way to differentiate between when you're, for instance, in Facebook for work (productive) versus scrolling endlessly through your timeline (distracting)

DL

Diana L.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Runs smoothly in the background

Pros

I appreciate that this is one of those "set it and forget it" programs. I forget that it's there and appreciate getting a weekly update that's clear and easy to read.

Cons

It's not 100% accurate in how it categorizes things, but it's pretty close. I would just note that it's easy to forget that sometimes when you're on calls/in meetings, the software has no way of knowing. It's just a good rough estimate, but wouldn't recommend tying specific goals to it.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Does what it says. Works in the background so you don't have to worry about it

Pros

Easy to set up and works in the background so you don't have to worry about it. It also adds data from your cell phone, which is critical to see how your time gets spent each day.

Cons

Really, none that I can think of. I have been using it for many years, it's a keeper.

MB

Matthieu B.

Great tool to passively track how you spend your time on the computer

Pros

Awesome to keep an eye on how you spend your time on your computer and get a report sent straight to your email with clear information.

Cons

It doesn't take into account your time spent on your smartphone on tablet, which would be great considering the mobile first mentality of these days.

HG

Himanshu G.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Easy time tracking and management

I mainly use it to track the amount of time I spend on different activities throughout the day and week. The app and software are quite handly, although lack the polish and finish in UI & UX. Takes time to get used to and extract valuable info to optimise your workflow.

Pros

Very easy to time spent on different activities Has desktop and smartphone apps Browser extension is very handy Weekly reminders

Cons

User interface is dated User experience is not optimised. Somethings are buried and need a lot to clicks to reach Takes many clicks to change the activity categories. Cannot do multiple at the same time

Helpful for time tracking

Signed up, set up my tracking settings (e.g. what counts as productive v. unproductive time; work hours; etc). And from there, I don't have to do anything. It tracks my productivity whenever I'm logged into my computer during the hours I set and then provides me with weekly productivity updates, broken down by category. It's easy as pie.

Pros

Works in the background without me having to think about it. Provides updates on how I've used my time.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about this software so far. Works very well and I can't think of any cons to mention.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Great way to see where your time is going

RescueTime actually really helped me understand how much time I was spending being productive vs. mindlessly lurking the web. It's definitely helped me improve in that regard over the past few months.

Pros

- an instant setup that's also highly customizable - gives you a full overview of where your time is being spent on the computer - you can categorize and filter out data if you like

Cons

Not that I would expect it to do any better, but sometimes it can take some time to make sure all your activity is properly categorized

Computer Games,

Great for freelancers and time-conscious people

Pros

RescueTime is amazing for tracking your own time. Freelancers and consultants can use it to stay time conscious. Individuals can be more conscientious.

Cons

Not many downsides! The software looks and feels a little clunky, and I wish you had more flexibility with the reporting and activity summaries.