Horizon Software Reviews

Horizon Software

Home inspection software that runs your entire business

Horizon Software

Review Summary

Matthew J.

Its easy to set up and start using. Very impressed with the ability to customize using my logos.

Fredrick W.

Jean L.

Cons

The inability to format text (bold, italic, colour, etc.) is frustrating at times and terrible page breaks which make some reports look a bit odd.

Tom W.

Blank spaces on report between sections looks unprofessional. Glichy host possibly causes application to freeze on occasion.

Kyle T.

Reports were much too long and it scared off agents. Also instead of integrated a form required by Texas, it tacked it to the end, making the report even longer.

Kristi C.

4.8

Horizon will make you stand out

We operate as a team to do inspections. It allows us to each inspect different systems , it all uploads to the same report. It has helped us to be fast and effiscient. Less time report writing equals more time for Inspections and higher profit for your time spent.

Pros

Horizon produces an easy to understand report that looks great and makes you stand out. You can personalize and add your own items to make report writing much faster.

Cons

It doesn't have the ability for you to use videos unless you upload them to you tube.

Hi Kenny, Thanks for the great review! We're happy to know that we could help your team save time writing reports and increase your profit earning potential!

Great Reports

There are competitors in this market, but dollar for dollar, there is no better software to use for home inspections. And, their customer support and user training is second to none.

Pros

Horizon provides all the software needed to run my business. It is a stable, cloud based system with superior customer support.

Cons

Horizon is so customizable that there is very little not to like.

Thank you for the high rating! We appreciate you choosing Horizon after your due diligence reviewing others in the industry. Thanks again!

Great check list software, but fails to allow for a library of specific narrative

I feel a need to describe specific issues of the inspection with narrative comments, and although 'Horizon' allows you to view the last comment, it has no allowance for reference to a library of past related comments that I have made, which I could reference to a current situation. Horizon refers to a vast theory data base but doesn't allow for me to describe specifically the clients situation in my own words unless I type them in each report....which I feel is necessary in giving them a 'client specific' inspection report. I prefer a narrative based report and being able to refer to my past comments, rather than a checklist report.

Pros

The interactive nature of the reporting, scheduling , billing etc

Cons

I have to type my 'client specific' comments each time they may be required instead of being able to reference each one and tweaking them to my specific report needs. I understand that one can refer to the last comment, but I don't think you can scan a library of comments for quick reference to one that meets ones specific needs.

Hello Doug, We appreciate your feedback and trial of Horizon Inspection Software. Horizon comes loaded with over 6000 comments ready for Home Inspectors to use out of the box. Horizon lets you easily add custom comments on the fly to build your narrative library. Use our Power Search and SpeedWrite features to save time reporting. We'd be happy to arrange a free demonstration or help with your specific needs at carsondunlop.com or 800 268 7070 ext. 243

In all these years Horizon keeps adapting and has never let us down

My overall experience with horizon over the last 10 years or so has been exceptional. I know what to expect and they never disappoint.

Pros

Horizon has always stayed current with industry changes and trends. They seem to pride themselves of staying ahead of the ever changing demands of the consumer and software world and go to great lengths to make sure they stay competitive in the constant evolution of software while making the sometimes significant changes almost seamless to the existing user base. A very delicate dance I'm sure.

Cons

A little more flexibility in the data capture would be ideal.

We appreciate hearing your experience and feedback Jeff. It's always great working with you, watching and helping your Team Grow to more than 14 inspectors!

Steady performance and fantastic support

Reduces reporting time giving me a life in the evenings. Produces a great looking report. Have received many compliments from client and agents alike.

Pros

Designed by inspectors for inspectors. Horizon presents to the user in a very logical way. Best of all is movement within the report. It's very easy to navigate and know where you are.

Cons

Page breaks can be awkward sometimes depending on picture layouts mainly. In a few cases I wish font size could be increased.

Great to hear from you Mark and wonderful to hear about your Horizon Inspection experience has been. Have a great year!

Product Referral

The time saving aspect was critical to me because the former method I used was taking far too much time to do up a thorough, professional report. The second aspect of my former method was that I had to purchase thick manuals that were constantly rising in cost which I had to pass on to the client; increasing my overall invoice while my competitors were able to maintain their lower prices. The ongoing training is something I've not received from the competitors at all. I always look forward to the short webinars which have always made my work look more professional and in less time. Hooray for that!

Pros

The check boxes are simple to use, very time saving with an added simple method of customization option sets this software well above the last three methods I've experienced over the past 20 years. The extensive reference library is pretty amazing as well. For new inspectors to the industry; this software is a very in-depth, comprehensive program that really has everything within it to set you up for success. BUT, it is imperative that you take the time to customize it to your liking; however long that takes.

Cons

The search library isn't as extensive or easy to articulate as described. However, I believe that further studies will indicate I am likely not doing something the way it should be done or haven't taken the time to read all instructions the get the most out of the software. One small point I find missing is to know if the client actually received the work order along with a simple way of resending it if not opened or received. Another is to maintain a list that shows the client has paid for the service rather than disappearing as soon as it is marked paid; also an automatic means of sending out a receipt.

Thank you Roger for your thorough review! We understand the change management process very well and glad you're taking advantage of free training. You will also learn about sending automated emails and email tracking in these sessions. You can also contact us direct 866.303.7999

I Built My Business Around Horizon Home Inspection Software

I have been using Horizon software since 2011 but I have been aware of the system since its early development stages. The software is incredibly flexible and customizable. Others in my market use the same software but our reports come out completely different. The background of the software - the business management - is the thing that really impressed me the most. Very robust system with more buniess features than I can ever actually use.

Pros

Flexibility, customizable, ease of adding photographs, professional results, incredible design/support team available, continuous improvement/added features, amazing business features, scheduling, billing, business management, database...

Cons

Photo arrangements is not flexible in the PDF format. There is a conversion format to use MS WORD which does allow more flexibility but adds too much time to the report editing process

It's great to hear from experienced Home Inspection companies like yours Brad. Our reports and format are based on real feedback from home buyers and agents to get it right. Your reports look great!

Easy for clients to navigate

Pros

Horizon software is not only visually appealing but easy for clients to navigate. They periodically add new features or enhancements to make it easier for the agents as well. I hear a lot of good feedback from agents when they use added Action List. They click on the items they want to address and attach it with their inspection response. It ends up saving them so much time and they don't have to retype what I've already said in the report, its already there.

Cons

It took a little while to set up the way I wanted it, but once set up it made my life so much easier.

Thanks for your Horizon feedback and comments Turk! Glad to hear how effective your reports are with clients and agents. The Action List has been a game changer helping Realtors with their negotiations as well, with no added workload.

Fast and Reliable

Pros

Horizon Report system helps Home Inspectors to write inspection reports in fast and efficient way. You have all mandatory items you need to meet the standard especially by speed write at the end we make sure nothing is missing. It also helps clients and specially buyers to receive the report right away after inspection. I have been using this software for about one year and half so far and I am really happy with the system.

Cons

I would rather to be able to add videos in some occasions for my clients or to store it in the file for future needs. Also I would rather to pay less, however with the quality that I get, it is worth it.

We really appreciate hearing about your experience using Horizon and how it's helping your customers with their buying decision. We'll reach out and show how you can include video to your inspection reports. Thanks again, The Horizon Team

Great Value

Company support is fantastic. They have always responded to me extremely quickly even when questions are asked through their Facebook page.

Pros

Ease of use. Utilizing the mobile app allows me to have the majority of my report filled in when I get back to the office.

Cons

Would like better functionality in adjusting photos in the report. Never have had it be a big issue but it would be nice to determine the specific order of multiple pics.

Fantastic feedback and review! Thank you Eric for your telling folks about your experience with Horizon. We're really proud of our Support and Training teams too!

We get more inspections because our report looks the most professional!

Horizon has been great to work with and the support team is a great help whenever you need him. My other inspectors all love it as well and we have brief experimental moments with other software platforms, but always keep coming back complaining about the others. It's easy to navigate, easy for me to track my business, and allows great access options to I can monitor and check on my other inspectors work.

Pros

The best thing about Horizon is the interface and the report appearance when the clients get it. When other inspectors are out there putting word documents together or excel sheets with a couple of pictures at the end they can't even come close to comparing. With Horizon we provide a 40-60 page report with 80-100 digital pictures that takes about the same amount of time as them putting together a word document that makes a bad impression on the client and the realtor along with anyone else that sees it. Combine a great inspection, with outstanding customer service and a report that will impress all on its own and we have a template for success in this business, and in fact, we grow about 20% every year.

Cons

I'm picky because I work with it every day and after comparing the other software products there are a few things I wish was better. One was for more picture storage (you get like 200) but for those 4 families and such more would be better. Also we need a scroll bar for preset canned statements in the tablet/OS version like the PC version has. Lastly I would like to see more options for picture editing and flagging pictures.

Great to hear from Inspection Professionals like you Matthew and much appreciated! And congratulations on your growing business! Horizon stores all inspection photos, report items, comments, communications, and more for you. Increasing the storage capacity was a big hit with Horizon Inspectors.

Horizon Brings Me More Business

I cannot say enough good things about Horizon. The reports come out well organized and clean. My clients and the realtors I work with love the ease of navigating through the reports with the section tabs. The reports provide so many helpful illustrations and links that assist with educating my clients. The additional tools such as the action list help me get more referrals and business from realtors....

Pros

Ease of use Clean reports Built in features that help educate my clients Additional features/links to help real estate agents put together inspection objections Business at a glance section helps keep me on track

Cons

Photo limit is a little low Since it is internet based it does slow down from time to time and/or makes it difficult to write the report on site if inspection is in an out of service area.

Hi Alex, thanks for your review. We're glad that Horizon is helping you grow your business and we always invite any comments for improving our product. We also have some terrific news for you. We just increased the photo limit to 200,. One of the many benefits of being a Horizon user is that we continuously provide updates. And your comments help us do just that.

Very good, but could be excellent

Quick and fast report generation. Required items checklist is also very helpful. Being able to import boilerplate text entries created by third-party companies would be very easy, and make set up for new users quick.

Pros

Quick and easy Report generation and field notes. Marketer is great for automatic Communications.

Cons

Lack of simple additions that would make life easier for home inspectors. Examples. Customer contact information phone number excetera in Google Calendar entries. The ability to click on a field in the homepage of the website to bring up that section of the work order. At present you have to click on work order and then the section you want. Also, an indication of whether it is paid or contract signed...

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I will pass this along to the team. We'll soon be adding a feature allowing you to submit and rate feature requests mush easier.

Great software, superior support

Horizon has always been great to work with . If there is a problem or an improvement needed you get an actual person when you call in and they know the program backward and forward. They've never left me stranded on an inspection. I tried a couple of other inspection programs and I continue to use Horizon because of their fantastic customer support.

Pros

I can do the field work on my phone and its available instantly on my computer when I get back to the shop. Its possible to do the entire report on the phone, but I'm sure anyone over 45 appreciates a desktop screen size for proofing the report before sending!

Cons

There can be a lot of blank space in the final report, agents gripe about the length of some reports and its mostly blank areas at the end of sections or sometimes it will put just one photo on a whole page. There is a way to eliminate this with their custom report writing, but its springtime and I don' really have time to learn to use it. I'll update this after the spring rush is over and let everyone know how it works.

We're glad you and your clients are happy with Horizon! I can honestly say everyone on our team is passionate about what they do. I'll share your feedback with the team.

Long time user

As a long time user of the Horizon software I am very pleased with the product and the service. Over the years the software has been improved and updated regularly without my involvement. The customer service is excellent - an important feature for a one-man operation such as mine. I have received compliments from both clients and agents on the report quality. Although there was initially a learning curve to overcome the report writing time has now become very reasonable. I recently read an online comment about the Horizon software where it was referred to as the gold standard. I fully agree! representative

Pros

My favorite feature is the off site data storage.

Cons

It's not free. Kidding aside, it does represent excellent value.

Thank you Jean! We appreciate the experience and knowledge you bring with your review. Glad the Horizon team and software has been a good fit for your business.

Horizon for Specway

Horizon has provided me with not just the report writing software, but a variety tools and third party integrations to simplify my work day. Horizon is continuously improving and growing it's capabilities with little to no monetary increase to the end user.

Pros

Flexible platform which accommodates all my aspects of inspecting. Residential, commercial, Environmental, and others. This saves me from buying (or subscribing) multiple platforms.

Cons

The billing is in USD only. All my accounting is in CND. Conversion must be done every month for accurate bookeeping.

Glad to see you're taking advantage of advanced features in the Horizon toolkit. We use and trust our 3rd party partners and happy to make them available to Horizon Professionals.

Horizon is a great report writing suite

I have used Horizon for over 6 years now, and while I have looked at a few other software providers, none has shown me any reason to move away from Horizon. I would (and do) recommend Horizon to my colleagues.

Pros

Horizon is pretty progressive - I find it intuitive to use and constantly improving.

Cons

The final look of the report could use some updating, and I believe Horizon is working on that constantly.

Thanks Leigh! We are constantly working on introducing more flexibility to our reports and with the new Report Designer, you can take complete control over the appearance and presentation of your inspection reports. You can read about the new features of Report Designer at https://www.carsondunlop.com/horizon/features/report-writing/

The Best of The Best!

My experience with Horizon is that the software is design and developed by inspectors for inspectors, with the home buyer and realtor in mind. It's truly a remarkable way of doing things.

Pros

My clients love it! It's consumer friendly! My realtors love the ACTION List and all the hyper links. The buyers say that's it's easy to understand.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about it. If there's an issue they address it promptly.

Thank you for your recent review on Capterra! We enjoyed reading your review and appreciate your honest and professional feedback. There is so much industry history with our staff and company in and hearing stories like yours it's truly amazing. I shared your appreciation with our team.

user friendly

very good

Pros

total package . A complete business package

Cons

Do not have issues with the software. it is basically my lack of skills that limit what I can do. The continuing support is very important. I do not like the thought of getting a Ticket for service because this adds to the response time.

Hi Tom, Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We provide several webinars on a consistent basis that allow you to gain useful knowledge that will increase your user experience and the benefits you get from Horizon software. You can go to this link anytime to see what webinars are available. https://www.carsondunlop.com/horizon/horizon-training/

Good but not great

I really like the reports that horizon generates. The app is easy to use to capture inspection data once you've got it mapped out. I don't like that it's still tied to a desktop. It's feels antiquated. There should be more options on the app like video recording and full photo editing. There should be no need to ever sit down at a desk to finish up the report.

Pros

The report that the software generates is second to none

Cons

Feels more dated than some other software

Hi Mike, Thanks for your review. We appreciate your comments and we are working hard to provide continuous improvement for Horizon. We will keep you updated with new changes as we make them. Team Horizon

Why I Use Hirizon

Horizon allows me to prepare detailed, good looking reports that my clients love.

Pros

Data entry - text and pictures - is easy and the published appearance is totally professional.

Cons

Most homes contain similar data that will always reappear in from home to home. For ease of entry Horizon is best organized using simple templates which cover these items take which take time to draft and organize. Once you've invested that time though it's easy sailing.

Really appreciate your feedback. It's great to hear from multi-inspector firms like yourself and the folks at Mike Holmes Inspections.

Home Inspection Report Writing Software

Pros

Horizon has a clean interface, is intuitive, has little/no learning curve and produces good looking reports. It is also quite customizable but not in an overwhelming way that some other programs offer.

Cons

We appreciate you taking the time to comment Tom! We're glad you and customers love the professional format, content and overall presentation. We'll reach out to show you more cool features to customize text and layout.

My Horizon

Pros

The App :The ability to create a report in live time ,inserting pictures and comments of concerns while onsite limits the liability of forgetfulness . The desktop : The ability to import from different external sources into the report, allowing the Inspector to create a informative and illustrated inspection report for Clients .

Cons

Not all at desk features are available on the Phone app .

Thanks for the great feedback Murray! The mobile app is a great way to collect the data you need in the field and save time when writing your report.

Love it!

The customer service department is outstanding! They are constantly adding new features and upgrades.

Pros

Very clean and professional report! Myself an my clients like the live links to switch between sections of the report.

Cons

There not very many options in the infield app in regards to the annotations on the pictures which means more time at home on the computer verses spending time with the family.

Hi Chris, we appreciate your review. We're proud of how unique and effective the report is to use for Home buyers. If your clients love your reports then we've done our job.

Not the cheapest and for good reason

I have been using the package for over 5 years now and I am impressed with the overall ease of use and look of the reports. Clients seem to like them as well.

Pros

The ability to schedule, report and publish very professional looking reports to my clients

Cons

Price. It is inline with one other provider that I know of, but far more expensive than others. The necessity for paying in US dollars and being in Canada only inflates the cost of use.

Great to hear your clients love your reports! They are a major contributor for design feedback on Horizon's professional presentation and content.