All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Blackbaud Altru

Ticketing, membership, admissions & fundraising

Blackbaud Altru Reviews

Pros

I enjoy the ability to navigate different ways to get the same result, it helps with training people who learn and think in different patterns.

Mary R.

Read the full review
Altru is direct and straight to the point. It has a places to include a lot of information which can be good for creating thorough profiles.

Lisa H.

Read the full review

Cons

The interface is intimidating and confusing for my staff, and requires a lot of training to use.

Glynis B.

Read the full review
When pulling results, it only pulls primary information and if the information is not loaded correctly, it can be a problem.

Jasmin P.

3.9

Only if you like to spend your money for nothing

After 8 years we have found the promised land!

Pros

The support and the solution go hand in hand. We went "live" just over 12 months and we are learning more and more everyday on how we can leverage the solution. 100% integrated with our accounting. Blackbaud has setup a platform that is engaging and interactive for users to connect with others in the community as well as developers. The solution is improving and so are we.

Cons

Sometimes we find development improvements that seem critical to our organization to take longer then we would like. But we live in a day of instant gratification and once recognized we can be patient.

A complete non-profit fundraising and ticketing tool

Initially, we saved tens of thousands of dollars migrating our POS, CRM, and online ticketing platforms to the single Altru platform. We've never regretted it. That was about seven years ago, and we're still happily using it. Altru generally does everything we want it to do. It's great for admissions and event ticketing but not a great tool for email marketing or running a gift shop, though it does send bulk emails and allows you to sell merchandise. If you have an email marketing tool or gift shop software, keep it.

Pros

All our donor, patron, and visitor information is in one place, secure in the cloud. We rely on Altru to keep all our sales, donor, and member records together so we can see all the ways our constituents connect with us. This also makes reporting much easier, having all earned and contributed revenue recorded in one database. This also makes training easier, as there's only one system that many of our staff need to learn and interact with, everyone from ticket sellers to fundraisers. Finally, using one cloud-based system requires fewer administrators and no server hardware, streamlining staff and IT costs.

Cons

The financial and revenue setup can be intimidating, since there's a general ledger behind all the sales and revenue transactions. A general ledger must be set up, fiscal years created, transactions mapped, payment types created, payment methods created, etc. It can be daunting without a background in accounting or bookkeeping. You will need a trained financial professional to help oversee the financial configuration. Blackbaud will help you set this up initially, but you will need someone knowledgeable to oversee those parts.

Altru by Blackbaud Review

I know a good amount how to deal with things on Altru, but if something comes up that you don't know, it's not always self-explanatory how to get done what you need to get done. Sometimes you have click on quite a series of things that you would never things to click on to make something happen. That being said, it doesn't seem to glitch often, which is nice. Again, having all the needed resources right there in one software is a helpful.

Pros

I love the amount that you can do on Altru and that it can all be done in one place. Whether it's keeping our volunteers organized, scheduling tours, selling event tickets, etc., it can all be done right there in Altru.

Cons

There are multiple ways you can do everything. Rather than having one concise way to do each action, you have to search to find many not simple ways to do everything. Sometimes, screens look slightly different on different computers as well, even though they've all been updated. It's amazing how much you can do, but it would be so much easier if the methods used were more concise.

Intimidating interface

My institution purchased Altru for its strong philanthropy functions, and required all departments to use it. I use it for scheduling school outreach programs. While it is an improvement over our old, in-house scheduling system, Altru does not have the robust communications options that we need and we have been forced to create work-arounds.

Pros

The ability to query data from thousands of constituents and sales records is very helpful for end-of-year reporting.

6 Reasons that Altru Rocks

The RISD Museum has been using Altru for almost 3 years. While some aspects of the product could use improvement specifically web forms, email analytics, and merchandise there are many ways that Altru rocks: 1. The conversion of our old data went very smoothly. The database experts at Blackbaud were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. 2. Second, Altru is very easy to use. Our Visitor Services...

Cons

My experience with Altru began about 2 years ago. It was easy to use and had many useful features.

Reporting and database management

Pros

I really enjoy all the reporting and smart queries Altru can produce. It allows your job to be much easier and efficient. I also really am impressed and appreciate the customer support. Since I'm fairly new to Altru, I have a lot of questions. Knowing someone is there to assist means a lot to me.

Cons

Some of the features are great but at times you have to do 5 other steps in order for something to work. If there was a SOP for everything in Altru already created...I'd be in heaven.

Altru - 360 Degree View of Your Constituents

What Altru does really well for arts & cultural organizations, that other CRMs do not have the ability to do, is create a holistic view of your constituents - ticket buyers, donors, event attendees, etc. Everything is in one database, and there is no need to deal with various imports and exports in order to view your data in one place. Some areas of the system lack flexibility and depth - web forms, ticketing - however Blackbaud releases new features on a very regular basis, so it's constantly improving.

Pros

Brings together ticketing and fundraising/membership in one CRM Helpful Support available to chat online

Cons

More flexibility needed with web forms More flexibility needed with fundraising reporting Sales Orders are too rigid - need to be able to edit and add appeal codes

Wide-ranging data management software with improving support/training options.

Pros

Covers every aspect of museum data management, from fundraising to programs to events and more. Excellent customization of data queries to manage data and run reports. Offers many levels of depth, to serve both front-line staff and power users.

Cons

Little/no training and support offered until very recently. Limited customization of layout, view options, colors, and categories in constituent records. Sometimes requires many, many clicks to achieve simple goals/record changes/reports.

System is difficult to use

Pros

Blackbaud Altru has many types of uses, from POS to Donation center, the system has functions for every part of our staff in our museum, from Admissions to events and fundraising.

Cons

The system is extremely difficult to work with - the system is complicated to set up memberships, membership renewals, ticket sales, and unfortunately, doesn't work well with other systems since it was first created so long ago... There are manuals and courses to learn about the system, but they are very time consuming, taking 3 hours or more per course sometimes.

An improvement over our previous system, but still needs some fine tuning

Pros

We now have the ability to get a true look at all the ways our constituents are interacting with our organization. Prior to implementation, our organization was very siloed, with each department using separate databases.

Cons

The product has a long way to go with the web forms and email functionality. It would be great to have usable metrics for online behavior.

Awesome!

Originally purchased with ticketing in mind, the entire organization uses Altru for fundraising, notes, accounting interface, membership, events, donations, analysis and reporting. It has given the ability for staff to know about the donors & ticket buyers and how they interact with the organization. This opened up the lines of communication for staff allowing everyone to work together.

Pros

Altru has everything in one place. No reason to have multiple databases and separate spreadsheets not talking to each other. Invited your constituent to an event, they gave a donation, bought a ticket, they became a member, received a mailing? It's all there on the constuent's page. Notes, relationships, interactions, documents uploaded are all in that constituent record. The canned reporting for membership and sales is good and is easily supplemented by specific queries that you build. Customer Service is incredible. Besides knowledge bases, an awesome community for sharing and getting info, the chat service is incredible. They actually solve issues and answer questions with real experts.

Cons

The online webforms are very basic and could be better to help with the user experience. The email directly from Altru is cumbersome and not user friendly, which is sad since it does give the ability to be shown in the constituent record. But I hear they are working with Mail Chimp to streamline this.

Altru does it all!

I have been using Altru for about a year in a database management position. There were so many training resources available when I first started, and continued support from our account manager and chat support. There is an article for every problem I could run into. It has been a great experience learning how to use this database and implementing the use of awesome features that we weren't previously using!

Pros

I love that my company doesn't have to have many different databases to perform various tasks. Altru allows us to have a complete 360 view of our organization and our customers. We use it for all of our CRM needs - ticketing, programs, special events, donors, memberships, revenue reporting, etc. The support available through the parent company Blackbaud is so helpful for working out the kinks, as well.

Cons

This software is very expensive. Especially since the primary organizations who use Altru are non-profits.

Jack of all trades, master of none

Pros

It has allowed us to consolidate almost all of our operations into one database and get a more complete view of our patrons and donors! They are constantly updating it, which is good! And their support team is excellent.

Cons

Like my title suggests, you will most certainly find frustrating things about this product. The biggest letdown of this product is the merchandise module. Do not expect to be able to use it unless you run a very small gift shop. My larger frustration is that Blackbaud's teams didn't seem to communicate with each other or take lessons learned when building different products. Raiser's Edge is a leading...

Managing the Financial Side of the Museum

I came in Sept 2015. Altru and FE were here but not talking to each other. Neither had data you could use. With the help and assistance from the Blackbaud team I now have two databases that are functionally and talk to each other. Month end closing is a breeze. People are now trusting the reports being produced. I am looking forward to the upgrade to FE NXT which we will have soon.

Pros

Ease our museum covered from admission fees, to Setting up events in the future, and school tours.

Cons

Set up for Summer camp needs to be addressed so that daily reports can be processed better than now.

We have had Altru for around a year now and overall I am very happy with its performance.

I love that Altru is constantly receiving updates and that the customer service team really does listen to feedback from the customers. I also think the customer service is wonderful and always available - which is great! I also really appreciate that the system is very intuitive. Once you get the basics down, you can pretty much figure it out - and if you cant, there are tons of resources to help...

Altru

Not a bad product. Please add a point of sake tool for gift shops!! Hey

Pros

Easy to use database for non-profits. Great tool for data analysis.

Cons

I would like to see a built in capacity for point of sale. I currently have to use two services when I could just use one.

Excellent donor management system

Pros

Very comprehensive donor management system that allows for total donor management. Information input and multiple layers of security.

Cons

Fees are a bit higher than other donor management systems but well worth it for the product line and information captured.

Altru helps us keep appointments and track payments

It helps us keep everything straight. We are able to track multiple payment types for many different activities.

Pros

Altru has a wonderful feature of copying appointments and holding them for you to reschedule. I love how there is a database of clients and you can easily search for them. Once selected it will automatically fill in all of the information.

Cons

It is not very user friendly for new users. If a mistake is made there isn't a way to undo it. Sometimes there are issues with payments when entered and you have to go in and delete the payment type and write it in yourself. I also don't like how when you check in a group it automatically submits their payment (box is checked automatically). If you don't remember to uncheck it there is no way to undo it.

Altru is a powerful tool to capture and analyze data to make strategic decisions

Pros

Ease of use for an entry-level user. The system has an incredible ability to capture and relate data. Customer support for individual issues is very strong. The ability to automate regular procedures (renewal notices, new member mailings, etc.) is very strong. The web forms are quite easy to use, once you get the hang of them, though they are difficult to customize.

Cons

E-mail formatting is a little wonky. The query tools are so robust that they come across as daunting, even for high-end users. Written support is somewhat weak (and Knowledgebase difficult for me to navigate), which causes me to rely on (the excellent) one-on-one customer support more than I would like.

Only if you like to spend your money for nothing

Unfortunate. Don't expect support, or anyone to get back to you. If they do get back to you it's going to be a while. I hope it isn't importat.

Pros

This software is expansive and is probably intuitive if you have an IT background.

Cons

This is a cumbersome and difficult software. If you have IT to work on this full time, or can commit to it for 40 hours a week it's probably great. Don't expect to get any significant support to make this operational. They will tell you to get your IT to do it. It's painful. Avoid.

comprehensive product that has been very useful so far

It's worked well for our newly-expanded museum over the past year. We've got a growing membership program (~12,000 members) and our highest visitation and we can find that information we need for reporting from the reports and queries. For the most part, we've been satisfied with what Altru has to offer. For the areas we find lacking (mostly volunteer management and merchandise), support offers...

Review of Blackbaud Altru

frustrating

Pros

At the time we selected it there was little else available on the market that did so much, especially of rarts organizations

Cons

Altru proved unruly to manage / non-intuitive / overly expensive, espoecially as new products came along, like Bloomerang

Definitely not a great took for volunteer management

Pros

From what I can see, this software looks like it could be a great tool for some applications. As I mean it is great for the money if you are looking to have a tool to maintain unlimited accounts, but that is really the only true good aspect of it.

Cons

I have head to use the software for volunteer management at several locations, and to be honest besides from keeping track of personal information the volunteer side is terrible. They trying to force you to buy they're really expensive side a volunteer management, but there are better programs out there for much cheaper. To give you an example, to run a report you literally have to go through 8 to 10 steps and hope it is what you're looking for. It is really not user friendly

completely cloud based, and allows unlimited user licenses at no extra charge, so you can sell tick

Pros

Altru can be accessed from anywhere. If we hold an event off-site, we can still handle admissions/registrations so long as there is a network.

Cons

There is no online sales for merchandise. The online shopping experience needs improvement. Visitors expect Amazon-level ease-of-use and Altru just isn't there yet.

great way to keep track of our constituents

I have been working with the Altru system for over three years now. I really like how extensive the CRM is. I am able to keep track with all of our constituent activity as well as our sales. Altru has also been a huge improvement for ticket sales as well! Before Altru, we used Ticketmaster. Due to Ticketmaster being heavily reliant on codes, errors were common. Altru made it a lot easier for...

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.