IDrive Logo
IDrive

Cloud backup and storage service for PC, mobile, and servers

visit website

IDrive Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.8/10

Reviews by rating

I am happy with the value. So long as you don't expect any wow factor in speed, customer service, and snag free customized setup, I would recommend to anyone looking for a value service.
With cloud storage pricing increasing, IDrive offers a great solution for those looking to switch over to their platform. They offer awesome deals for users that are first time users.
There's nothing like automated backup, so this is one of many good choices that accomplish this, hands-off once you set it up properly.
Fails from time to time, not sure why. Have to leave the computer on all the time and takes a long time to back up a small amount of files.
Most of the time the backup works as it should. Other times it fails to back up to the cloud my files/folders.
The feature missing that I would want the most is continuous backup. The scheduler allows a daily, and weekly backup and hourly backup only.

SJ

Sandi J.

CEO

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Wow! Impressed!

Transcript

Sandy: Hi. My name is Sandy, and I am a CEO and I give IDrive a five. For more reviews like this, see...

Gerald W.

Scriptwriter

Entertainment, self-employed

Excellent backup program

Transcript

Gerald : My name is Gerald. I'm a freelance television and film script writer with my own company. My...

Aris J.

11-50 employees

Powerful tool for any size business

Having our own encryption key.

Pros

Idrive is an amazing tool - powerful with lots of functionality. We liked how easy it was to set up and run a back up. Key decision for us having our own private encryption key. It has several backup options to choose from.

Cons

Although it is not a major issue for us, it would be nice if it had the option of unlimited space. Sometimes we might need files that are older than 10 versions. However , the benefits outweigh this function.

JR

Jon R.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

A great high-capacity online backup service.

My existing cloud backup, which came with a well known (brilliant) anti-virus provider, only gave me 70GB of backup, and said I couldn't increase that until my renewal was due, in 11 Months. By the time I had explained how useless that was to me, I had subscribed, downloaded, installed iDrive, and it was already carrying out its first back up.

Pros

It was easy to deploy the backup software onto multiple computers. On the restore screens, I can easily see each individual computer, from which I can chose which files or folders to restore. The first backup took all day, although it was about 250 GB. Now the first backup is complete, it just takes minutes at the end of each day to backup all my work.

Cons

Maybe nice to be able to give user created names to each computer, rather than the default computer name that each machine has. Eg "Mary's Laptop", "Bills Computer", "Server".

RP

Rhonda P.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Backs up files

I don't like to say bad things about any person or company but using Idrive just didn't benefit us at all. Hopefully my experience isn't common and most people don't have so many problems with Idrive.

Pros

Idrive backs up files and keeps them private and protected. Setting up Idrive only took a few minutes, there's not a lot of complicated settings to get confused with. It has a cloud and local backup option, it can even back up a disc image.

Cons

The performance on desktop and mobile devices is very different. The mobile app is the software version of a paperweight, it just does not work at all. The automatic backup is not automatic. On my desktop IDrive backs up files but won't store files independently. If I backup files and then delete one, it gives an error message for all of the files and won't open the deleted file. I was scared to find out what would happen if I actually needed to recover files from Idrive.

Peter F.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

iDrive - it's worth the time

iDrive checks all the boxes to having an online backup solution. Even though the initial backup could take considerably longer than expected, the future incremental backups and affordability are worthwhile.

Pros

iDrive is a great choice when considering an affordable and reliable backup solution in the cloud.

Cons

The initial upload for a large amount of data 3TB+ could take multiple days depending on your location.

AK

Alex K.

Photography, self-employed

Best I’ve Used

Thrilled.

Pros

It’s informative in what it’s doing at all times, unlike backblaze. It’s customizable, easy to use, and very secure. My data is irreplaceable, so this is very important to me.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn’t automatically start when my drive is connected, but it’s not a big deal for me to do it manually.

MR

Mario R.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

Very easy to setup and use.

Overall, it runs automatically. I wake up in the morning and see it has backedup X number of files.

Pros

I was leaving town and my drive was acting up. It was easy to get online, get setup, and download and install the software. After a few hours, my entire system was backed up.

Cons

I have only used it for 2 weeks so I have not had any negatives yet.

RI

Robert I.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Excellent Cloud Backup

Pros

Very easy to use interface in proprietary and quick upload. Resumes backups even if internet is disconnected. The price is comparatively low for such generous storage size - 5TB.

Cons

The web based cloud interface didn't upload complete folder contents.

AG

Andrew G.

Photography, self-employed

Very happy so far. Simple to set up and seems to be working flawlessly

Great so far.

Pros

Easy to setup which is what I wanted!!!!

Cons

I would like a feature to prevent you from going over your data limit so as not to be charged by mistake.

SB

Steve B.

Computer Software, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

You get what you pay for

Pros

One of the cheapest cloud storage solutions I could find with many plan options to fit your needs.

Cons

There is limited linux support and the web UI to access your files is very unresponsive and takes a long time to load.

Ankit K.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Best value for money cloud drive. Must have for every one.

It is awesome. Suggest to 4 of my friends 2 of them bought it. But they all praised the choice.

Pros

1. Feature rich2. Inexpensive3. Great UX interface design.

Cons

It's great, doesn't really have any cons for the price.

DM

David M.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

IDrive for Business

I have been able to restore data on the fly in the event of a hardware failure to any registered device quickly. This has turned out to be the best feature.

Pros

Data is encrypted for security is critical. The cross platform support makes it ideal for Windows, Mac OSX, and Apple phones and tablets.

MY

Marcos Y.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Probably one of the best services out there

Overall, IDrive is a great system if you need to make backups of multiple systems. It's customer support will help you 24/7 with real solutions. I like it a lot, but I would like to see the GUI improve, especially on the scheduler side, and have better support for Linux (maybe a GUI like on other OS?).

Pros

The automatic backup service is incredibly effective on Windows and macOS. Once correctly setup, the backup will run automatically and send a log to the user via email. Very useful when you have multiple systems you want to backup.

Cons

Although the automatic backup works very good, the scheduler is confusing. It needs a lot of UI/UX polishing. If you are able to make it more comprehensive, you will probably have the best backup service on the block.

AP

Alisa P.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Easy cloud backup for personal or small business use

IDrive is an economical way to provide cloud backup as a "last resort" back up against ransomeware attacks. For my use and the use of my clients, it is easy to install, easy to use, and provides a free means of seeding large back ups. I did need to use it on a Linux (Ubuntu) system. I am learning Linux and found that using their Linux option required a fair amount of research to get it working. However, once I had installed all the requisite free software to make it work, I discovered that the online interface was easy to use.

Pros

One account could back up data from multiple computers. The price was lower because this solution did not include extra services that, in this instance, were extraneous to my and my clients needs.

Cons

Idrive states that it is compatible with Linux. It is, however, there is no program to install, only a series of Perl scripts. I am not super familiar with Linux and it took a couple hours and research to get this functionality working. Once that investment was complete, it worked very well fron the web interface.

Aaron B.

Financial Services, self-employed

IDrive system backup/storage

It's been great. I really honestly have no complaints. I've been able to back up all of my existing cloud drives, my backup harddrives, my normal harddrive, my phone, literally everything fits onto this one cloud storage service and I still have room for more.

Pros

I can flash over my entire computer if I need to, my files are automatically kept up to date so I don't have to worry about losing anything ever, and I can put as many devices into my storage as I want. This means my phone, my laptop, my desktop, my work computer, all of it, all in one place. It's great.

Cons

I'm not really one to hold back on my opinion of things, but I honestly can't find anything I really dislike about this product. I mean... maybe the time it took for the initial backup? Took over 12 hours to backup my entire computer worth of about 90gigs of files. But I can't really complain about that even, that seems just about fair since I was using my computer the entire time without any disruption to my normal functionality or speed.

RC

Ruth C.

Education Management, self-employed

Have faith in iDrive

The customer service has been great and I have appreciated al the tutorials on how to use it properly.

Pros

Whilst it takes a while to get used to the features which are not as user friendly or intuitive as other storage solutions, you can definitely have faith in the security and robustness of iDrive.

Cons

The need for manual removal of files in cloud storage when they have been deleted from your machine is a real pain. I keep forgetting to do this which results in taking me over my quota.

AS

Adam S.

Construction, self-employed

Simple, secure and effective solution

It takes an essential process such as back-up and data security and makes it possible for a non-technical person to configure and fine-tune a powerful tool in a matter of minutes. This give immense peace of mind and represents very good value to a business owner.

Pros

I find the set-up and configuration logical - this is essential to a one person operation The configuration options were clearly defined and intuitive Web interface to back-ups

Cons

I would like to be able to conduct backups in parallel - there appeared to be a restriction meaning that internal back-ups could not take place at teh same time as external drive back-ups

CT

Chris T.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Straightforward online backup

Pros

iDrive is so easy to setup, and operate. I have multiple sources set yo backup on a schedule each night, and it has been fast and secure from the start. I love the email notifications after each backup job has completed, which gives me peace of mind tat everything is working as it should.

Cons

I really do not have any problems with iDrive.

Jonathan J.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

IDrive backups give me peace of mind

Fantastic

Pros

The generous cloud storage capacity for a reasonable price was what drew me to the product. But the fast and simple backup options really got me hooked. Even the Windows PE bootable recovery interface was amazing and full featured. I love that they use a standard disk image (.img) format that can be easily converted into Virtual Box format.

Cons

It took a little time to figure out the different backup sets, local, image, etc. The GUI is very functional but it would be nice if it had just a bit more polish. The Clone/Computer backup area of the UI was not as straightforward. I knew I wanted a disk image, but was confused by the System Image option. But these aren’t problems, just me getting to know the product.

GW

GERALD W.

Entertainment, self-employed

Excellent backup program

Backups are crucial. Idrive does it well for a very competitive cost and good support. It takes a bit of time to set and learn its functions up but once working, it basically takes care of itself. It's a good program at a good price.

Pros

For years I've used Onedrive but also use Idrive for extra security. One aspect of Idrive I like is that you can do both local and cloud backups. I have external hard drives connected to my two computers and having a physical backup is an extra layer of security that is important. Also, a full restore of a crashed hard drive can take days to do online but probably less than an hour from a local...

Cons

The Idrive interface has a bit of an old fashioned look and setting it up for the first time is less intuitive than it should be. That's where excellent support comes in. But once you figure it out and select the folders to backup, it basically works in the background and can be left alone, for years if necessary without intervention. I did need to contact support to figure out how to backup Outlook files. That's been my only hiccup with the program.

BW

Ben W.

Great free version with 5GB of online storage and full control, but customer service needs work.

5GB of online backup and unlimited local backup (depending on drive size) for free! Great experience overall, especially when compared to other online backup options.

Pros

The free 5GB option is much better than a 30-day trial like some other online backup providers offer. I constantly get offers from IDrive to upgrade to a paid version but I know I will upgrade when I need more than 5GB of online storage. The local backup option is also great since you're only limited by the space of the of an external or mapped hard drive and it's included in the free version. Full control over what exact files are backed up and/or restored. Some programs force you to backup the entire C drive or only allow certain folders to backup. Easy to use interface with simple controls for the things you do most. The program is very straightforward and self-explanatory with little to no learning curve.

Cons

Customer service was difficult to work with when a backup error occurred. They claimed the backup was failing due to the 5GB quota being reached and that I needed to upgrade to solve the problem. After finally convincing them that I was only using 75% of the 5GB, it turns out I just had to reinstall the desktop app to solve the issue. With this kind of support for something as important as backing...

Logistics and Supply Chain, 51-200 employees

Worked great for a long time, then minor issues

Technical support was very responsive when I needed assistance. The cost of the product was very reasonable for the great features the software has.

Pros

This product was very easy to set up. We had it set to back up our server data on a daily basis. I liked that it emailed me a report of the backup status when it completed, or if it had errors. The emails were very easy to figure out if files were unable to backup. We were able to select or deselect which folders to backup very easily. The restore process worked flawlessly and was simple to do.

Cons

When we upgraded our server to Microsoft Server 2019, the backup job would randomly hang during the nightly job. The only way to get the job to complete was to restart the server. I worked with support for a long time on this issue and we were unable to figure out the problem, so I discontinued this backup solution.

DW

Derek W.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Easy setup, good software, and responsive customer service

Pros

The initial deal for switching from a competing provider is very good, it's worth trying at that price anyway just to play with the software. That said, you simply can't get backup and cloud storage like this anywhere else for the price. I had heard some complaints about speed, but haven't had any issues and also recently found newer social media posts and Youtube reviews that also say they have improved a lot.

Cons

Nothing really. The apps (both PC and mobile) maybe aren't as flashy as their competitors, and I guess I miss Google integration with Google One, but oh well.

RZ

Ramzi Z.

Construction, 501-1,000 employees

The best system to automatically backup my files to the cloud

With IDrive, I ensure that none of my files are lost due to auto-save in the cloud, as this gives me more confidence and ensures that I do not re-work again in the event of an emergency or because I forgot to save it properly.

Pros

IDrive gives me peace of mind, as I always make sure that I back up my files to the cloud and put no effort into it at all. I like the ease of setup as well as the fact that it doesn't affect the speed of my computer, and I also like the notifications it sends constantly, which checks the names of the files it has saved. I love the fact that IDrive can handle all types of files and also provides ample storage space that you can easily organize to suit your needs.

Cons

IDrive is very simple and has no complications, as it is easy to set up, works efficiently with all operating systems, and has no negative effects on its speed.

RF

Ronald F.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

iDrive for Courts

Use to store digital court recordings and the increasing volume of digital trial evidence. Can also share hearing recordings and digital evidence files with case counsel without having to use a DVD. Files often too large these days to safely attach to an email.

Pros

Comparatively less expensive than other cloud storage options, ease of use, and reliable (so far)

Cons

Just a little difficult to set up a single storage location that multiple persons can access with differing credentials. Found a work around.

YH

Yechezkel H.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 1-10 employees

A must have Backup soluition

A great experience! The software just does what it should do without any fuss. A must have for everyone.

Pros

The software works a dream. It's simple to install and set up and just goes about its job without requiring any user intervention.

Cons

It would be good to be able to backup by file type i.e. the software backups say .docx files wherever on your system they may be located.