IDrive Logo
IDrive

Cloud backup and storage service for PC, mobile, and servers

visit website

IDrive Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.8/10

Reviews by rating

Express Backup with free physical hardware shipment for initial backup was awesome and convenient. Ability to integrate with Synology DSM is important.
I am happy with the value. So long as you don't expect any wow factor in speed, customer service, and snag free customized setup, I would recommend to anyone looking for a value service.
With cloud storage pricing increasing, IDrive offers a great solution for those looking to switch over to their platform. They offer awesome deals for users that are first time users.
Fails from time to time, not sure why. Have to leave the computer on all the time and takes a long time to back up a small amount of files.
Most of the time the backup works as it should. Other times it fails to back up to the cloud my files/folders.
The feature missing that I would want the most is continuous backup. The scheduler allows a daily, and weekly backup and hourly backup only.

SJ

Sandi J.

CEO

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Wow! Impressed!

Transcript

Sandy: Hi. My name is Sandy, and I am a CEO and I give IDrive a five. For more reviews like this, see...

Gerald W.

Scriptwriter

Entertainment, self-employed

Excellent backup program

Transcript

Gerald : My name is Gerald. I'm a freelance television and film script writer with my own company. My...

Aaron B.

Financial Services, self-employed

IDrive system backup/storage

It's been great. I really honestly have no complaints. I've been able to back up all of my existing cloud drives, my backup harddrives, my normal harddrive, my phone, literally everything fits onto this one cloud storage service and I still have room for more.

Pros

I can flash over my entire computer if I need to, my files are automatically kept up to date so I don't have to worry about losing anything ever, and I can put as many devices into my storage as I want. This means my phone, my laptop, my desktop, my work computer, all of it, all in one place. It's great.

Cons

I'm not really one to hold back on my opinion of things, but I honestly can't find anything I really dislike about this product. I mean... maybe the time it took for the initial backup? Took over 12 hours to backup my entire computer worth of about 90gigs of files. But I can't really complain about that even, that seems just about fair since I was using my computer the entire time without any disruption to my normal functionality or speed.

TC

Thane C.

IDrive Review

Pros

Ease of use. reliability, speed, scheduling, local and cloud options, disk cloning.

Cons

Only used it for a couple weeks. Don't have any complaints so far.

RP

Rhonda P.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Backs up files

I don't like to say bad things about any person or company but using Idrive just didn't benefit us at all. Hopefully my experience isn't common and most people don't have so many problems with Idrive.

Pros

Idrive backs up files and keeps them private and protected. Setting up Idrive only took a few minutes, there's not a lot of complicated settings to get confused with. It has a cloud and local backup option, it can even back up a disc image.

Cons

The performance on desktop and mobile devices is very different. The mobile app is the software version of a paperweight, it just does not work at all. The automatic backup is not automatic. On my desktop IDrive backs up files but won't store files independently. If I backup files and then delete one, it gives an error message for all of the files and won't open the deleted file. I was scared to find out what would happen if I actually needed to recover files from Idrive.

CM

Colby M.

Photography, self-employed

All the features, none of the hassle, and a fair price point.

I used a competitor for over ten years, which was becoming less and less feature-rich and the price kept increasing. I’m so glad that I switched! IDrive is so much easier to use, being intuitive while at the same time feature-rich. It allows you to actually backup instead of just sync which is a major difference, they send you a drive through the mail so you can sync right away which is great if you have 7T and don’t want to use all your bandwidth. It allows you to backup to a local drive. I called to confirm something that I thought I understood and the technical support was fabulous. All the features, none of the hassle, and a fair price point.

Pros

Real backup system instead of just syncing. Intuitive to use and great technical support if needed Local backup capability Real-time backup

Cons

It took a while for me to research to find it. I wish their promotional material was more accessible to compare between services, but I think that none of them want that.

RA

Roger A.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Very Good, but many options can be confusion

Only using fot few weeks, first impressions are good.

Pros

Great price for big storage. Not expensisve for 5TB

Cons

Many options can be confusing in the beginning. you have to learn using it

TK

Theo K.

Media Production, self-employed

the best bargain in cloud storage

excellent. so much sir I may bail on iCloud and google drive.

Pros

efficient, error-free data transfer, allows me to access data from remote locations and not have to worry about storage on external hard drives that can be lost

Cons

there are some data transfer speed hiccups but this is very minor. most important, the data transfers are accurate

FR

Francois R.

Banking, self-employed

Great cloud

Great experience so far easy to set up and great addition back up for Synology and phone

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Great return for money

Cons

None so far it is great experience and no negative comments iPhone interface could be improved

MR

Michael R.

Food & Beverages, self-employed

Good product

Pros

I enjoy the peace of mind of offsite encrypted data back up in case of emergency/physical destruction

Cons

Have not had issues. General concern of encryption security for any sort of cloud storage.

GL

Giles L.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

It works pretty well

Pros

Simple to set up and get your laptop backed up

Cons

The interface could be a little more modern

SP

Shobhit P.

Good Value!

Pros

Easy to setup, affordable, has apps as well to sync mobile devices.

Cons

The iOS app backup option is not that reliable. It keeps changing the amount it shows of photos and videos that are left to be backed up.

GG

Greg G.

Photography, self-employed

A backup platform that doesn't quite work as a cloud storage solution.

I've been wanting to back up my image archive for a few years now, after a few scary experiences with FreeNas and TrueNas. I'm just a small photo business with around 30TB of assets and yet the likes of Google and Amazon treat me like I'm Nasa and want to sell me enterprise-level solutions. I don't have time to wade through their incomprehensible marketing and no need for their features, just a little...

Pros

Good initial space allocation that is suited to the needs of content creators. Great price. Simple to use once set up.

Cons

Designed for backup so all its features want to mirror what's on your server / workstation. It doesn't work very flexibly as a stand-alone cloud drive. You can't manage your files once in the cloud with the same flexibility as an OS. The website doesn't state how much the product costs after the introductory offer which I'm sure holds a lot of people back. There is no feature to expand storage on personal accounts beyond the original 10TB offered as of May 2022.

RM

Rob M.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

It Just Works

I've used iDrive for several years for both business and personal use. It is what I recommend to friends, family, and other businesses when they ask for my recommendation for a cloud backup solution.

Pros

The scheduled backups rarely fail, and when they do it's usually due to a network interruption. The Continuous Data Protection feature is the best. As soon as a file is saved or modified it is backed up immediately. I like that files remain in the backup even when they are deleted from my devices.

Cons

I can' think of any features that I want that are missing. One of the best features about iDrive is its simplicity.

TS

Tomas S.

Research, self-employed

Good value and simple to deploy backup

Pros

iDrive is a great value backup product. It's easy to deploy, simple but powerful set of options and does everything i need. Perfect if you just want a simple backup solution with a good amount of storage which can be shared across a number of computers. Excellent set and forget backup package.

Cons

It would be nice if they supported the ability to seed the backup with a drive, they offer this in some regions but not in UK. Great that they now offer a 2TB option as well as the 5TB option.

CI

Claudiu I.

Reliable service

I bought 5TB plan.I'm not a tech guy and for me the interface is very important and iDrive's interface is very intuitive and ease to use. I didn't feel the need to read any tutorial and I used the interface at once, from the first glance.I can interrupt the transfer at any time, the queued files or folders will be resumed when I need. If a file wasn't completely transferred because interruption, it...

Pros

Good interfaceSafe serviceGood transfer speed for medium and light jobsInstant support through chat in websiteDetailed logs for transfers

Cons

Slow transfer speed for long jobs, despite using 4 threads.

MY

Marcos Y.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Probably one of the best services out there

Overall, IDrive is a great system if you need to make backups of multiple systems. It's customer support will help you 24/7 with real solutions. I like it a lot, but I would like to see the GUI improve, especially on the scheduler side, and have better support for Linux (maybe a GUI like on other OS?).

Pros

The automatic backup service is incredibly effective on Windows and macOS. Once correctly setup, the backup will run automatically and send a log to the user via email. Very useful when you have multiple systems you want to backup.

Cons

Although the automatic backup works very good, the scheduler is confusing. It needs a lot of UI/UX polishing. If you are able to make it more comprehensive, you will probably have the best backup service on the block.

JH

Justin H.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Extremely easy to use and value per TB

Quick install and setup of schedule. Very easy format and the ability to use on Synology NAS devices was a huge plus for me.

Pros

iDrive is very easy to setup and run on multiple systems. Scheduling is straightforward and allows for different backup scenarios.

Cons

Initial backup on new system can be a bit slow and I need to make sure that my local backups are running smoothly. It would be great to have exportable settings for use on multiple systems.

KB

Karoly B.

Animation, 1-10 employees

Idrive Review

Fast & reliable, file-sharing working properly. I'm using this feature constantly with my clients, due the excessive amount of files / file-sizes, which occurs in our business. If you don't have to restore accidentaly deleted files, you got a great service for your money.Take a bit of time to learn the process, some things are not enough intuitive from user perspective.

Pros

Cons

Uploaded files are NOT moveable to another folder, when already in Drive. Deleted files restoration is a literal pain, the system is not capable of handling well, not enough functions in the trash bin part. (if accidentaly files were deleted from drive, you should contact with the customer service to restore, otherwise, you can do it FILE-BY-FILE, which is VERY INCONVINIENT!)NO DARK MODE ON THE IDRIVE APP (on win atleast), we are in 2023!

SW

Scott W.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Great Back Up for Small Business

The service was easy to set up, inexpensive, and seems to be doing what I needed it to do. So I am happy.

Pros

I like the ease of set up and being able to back up multiple computers, drives and network-attached storage. This is why I switched. The other service I was using only allowed one computer.

Cons

So far I have not had any issues to report as cons.

RS

Rafael S.

Computer Software, self-employed

The best for backuping huge amount of data

After trying several other solutions and working with some solutions in big companies, I think iDrive is the best choice for fast backing up huge amounts of data.

Pros

I use it to back up a lot of TB of data. Unlike the competitors who may have unlimited space but are very slow or very expensive, which makes them an unreal solution, iDrive gives a huge amount of space, with really high upload & download speeds, for a very affordable price.I also liked other features which I will probably use in the future.

Cons

It would be nice if they added a way to move files between folders in their app after they have already been uploaded.I also initially had small obstacles, which I solved quickly after reading in forums and changing the app configuration. But all in all, I'm very satisfied.

BB

Ben B.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Cheap, fast, simple

It makes the movement of files easy, straight forward and simple to navigate.

Pros

I found it very easy to back up over 2.5TB over three days. It was easy to restart when required and being able to access the files with my phone app was a genuine game changer. The price is extremely reasonable and I could find no better deals.

Cons

So far absolutely nothing. Backing up from external drive sometimes dropped out but that was my drive disconnecting and getting back on track was simple.

AS

Adam S.

Construction, self-employed

Simple, secure and effective solution

It takes an essential process such as back-up and data security and makes it possible for a non-technical person to configure and fine-tune a powerful tool in a matter of minutes. This give immense peace of mind and represents very good value to a business owner.

Pros

I find the set-up and configuration logical - this is essential to a one person operation The configuration options were clearly defined and intuitive Web interface to back-ups

Cons

I would like to be able to conduct backups in parallel - there appeared to be a restriction meaning that internal back-ups could not take place at teh same time as external drive back-ups

KN

Kevin N.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

iDrive - Why use any other service?

Overall, this is a must have service for business that need to have critical files stored safely and protect yourself from mechanical failures with machines.

Pros

Back up and synchronisation speed and the value for money with space available is AMAZING!

Cons

Backing up large datasets is a challenge. Additionally, I have been unable to find file versions which is very important within the sync function incase of accidental edits or deletion. The synchronisation log can be significantly improved. I would love to see a good and much longer log of what file has been synchronized when. And similarly go directly to that file location right from the log.

Chris N.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Inexpensive online backup with extra features

Idrive is my sole online backup, it also has a ton of other features that I have found useful. File sharing, phone photo backup and sharing, a dropbox like file synchronization. It seems like every time I check there are more features added.

Pros

The online backup, once you have it uploaded, works very well. It can be slow to upload large amounts of files to start but I use Idrive express (free) which really speeds up priming the pump. Rather than uploading 800 gb in file backups and 1.2tb in image backups, they send a hard drive, you fill it up directly from your devices and then ship it back at no additional cost. Once they receive it they put it online and you can sync your online backup and it will add the files created in the meantime. Much less bandwidth needed, and everything is encrypted in case the drive ends up lost en-route home.

Cons

Image backup takes significantly longer than regular image backup software. not something that would be tolerable as a standalone solution.

RR

Ronald R.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great Backup System

Great system, no intent to ever change.

Pros

Great product, well priced, runs in background without using a lot of resources, real time backup, very fast to download files.

Cons

Searching is a little difficult, but not much. Desktop version sometimes doesn't work for downloading but the on-line version is faster anyways.

CG

Charles G.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

Don't be surprised when they drain your account

I finally got rid of all the data and schedules even though I have 11 months of time left I will not backup or connect in any way to these scammers again

Pros

Retrieving files were quite easy. When it worked it worked well

Cons

The usage meter lies until they somehow get you far over your max then they will not let you delete files. Then there rip a few hundred out of your bank account then sup[port tells you if you upgrade to a larger account (more money) he will see to it your money will be returned (lie) Then over night you backup 3TB of data even though you only have 700GB on all three computers and they go after another grab from your account .