OpenShot Video Editor Logo

OpenShot Video Editor

Free and open-source video editing software!

OpenShot Video Editor Reviews

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.44/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

OpenShot is an open-source and award winning free video editing software. You can create stunning and beautiful videos using different professional transitions and effects.
I got it because right now my budget doesn't allow for anything better, and it's the closest to what I use at work, PowerDirector, which I love.
Another frustration I'm dealing with at this moment is how difficult the minimize functions are.
This is too much wasted time when you're editing a 1 hour, 10 minute video.
I assure you this is not an ad for PD. I 'm sure there are many better programs out there. But OpenShoot just frustrates me to no end, and PD is my only other frame of reference.

Haris M.

Chemicals, 501-1,000 employees

Incredible Video Editing Software

I always use Openshot video editor when i need to make some exciting edited videos. The software is very easy to use and available on free of cost. Openshot Video Editor supports multiple formats and can be easily downloaded from their website. My overall experience with this software is very amazing and i strongly recommend Openshot video editor to the professionals who are looking for exciting video editing experience.

Pros

The videos can be edited in a very simple way by just drag and drop and you can add animations, watermark, sound effects and many other exciting things in your videos. I am using this software for last 3 years and always found it very helpful and full of exciting features. In Openshot video editor you can also trim your videos and add flying text and 3D animations. You can also speed up and slow down your videos according to your need. The interface is so simple and understandable one can easily use this software without any problem.

Cons

As of my experience i have never face any difficulty in Openshot video editor. The software always provide me all the necessary tools and features which i need and to make my videos beautiful and colorful.

Entertainment, 10,001+ employees

OpenShot - Power and Professionalism

For a small business, and even personal use in the form of social media videos, promotional videos I think it's brilliant software. The fact that it's free it's amazing and it doesn't sacrifice quality in the form of having an extensive list of effects and transitions. I find it easy and fast to make videos that look professional, make me look professional online. If you ever get stuck with how to use a feature, there are lots of tutorials online, as well as the built-in tutorial. Really stunning editor that I'll recommend to anyone wanting to make their business's online video presence comes across professional and polished.

Pros

The first feature that has to be mentioned is that this is free software, and that it offers being able to work in 4K. I am impressed that the media library has so many options, that include built in effects, transitions, ability to use titles for vectors and fonts. It's collaboration with Blender means it has those sleek looking 3D effects and titles built in as well, a nice quick way to add something...

Cons

I think that if you need to edit a whole movie, it may give you issues with loading, with lag. I noticed that if I tried to import large files, a few hours of a holiday video, that there was an issue with it freezing. However, for most of my work I don't need to edit hours of footage, so I didn't really have an issue with this. I think for most people who are making social media videos, promotional material for their business like I do, even longer advertisment-type edits, OpenShot is perfect for our business or personal editing needs.

ES

Eddie S.

Online Media, self-employed

This Video Editor Is GARBAGE!

It Is Complete GARBAGE AND SHOULD BE THROWN AWAY AS SUCH! GO TO ADOBE SOFTWARE PRODUCTS, THEY MAY BE PRICY BUT ITS WORTH IT! UNLIKE THIS TRASH VIDEO EDITOR!

Pros

Zero pros! It's complete trash! If you like waiting 20-30 minutes of it freezing in between 3 seconds of it not freezing every second then your an idiot

Cons

Freezes every 3 seconds for 20-30 minutes at a time without you pressing anything or doing anything. The video refuses to play back, you will end up waiting 2 hours for your original uncut raw footage to even play, if your lucky!

Hi Eddie, I am sorry that you had so many issues with OpenShot Video Editor. Our release version is more than a year old, and we've learned much since then. Our developers are constantly making improvements to the program, but they add them to our Daily Builds, not the release version. You can download our latest Daily Build from our website to review our latest feature enhancements, bug fixes, and performance improvements. The address is https://www.openshot.org/download/#daily. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with our Technical Support Help Desk through Email at support@openshot.org.

SB

Souaibou B.

Information Technology and Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Openshot review

Pros

The software is free and easy to use. And even if the features are outdated, it allows you to edit not-so-bad videos

Cons

Lack of cutting means with viewing and exporting videos takes time

Sylvester M.

Public Relations and Communications, 11-50 employees

NO BUDGET VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE, It's powerful and gets the job done

OpenShot is both a SIMPLE and POWERFUL video editing software with the ability to produce great videos. OpenShot can make dazzling recordings, movies, and activities with a simple to-utilize interface and a rich arrangement of highlights. It can be used on Linux, macOS, and Windows operating systems.

Pros

It has all the basics you need to edit and produce great videos. Most importantly, it's FREE, SIMPLE, easy to use, and makes editing faster.

Cons

Some elements and features need improvement.

BK

Ben K.

Broadcast Media, 51-200 employees

openshot is free

Pros

the software is free, easy to use and very in English. it allows a very easy and fast video editing

Cons

it does not include the latest features like many of its competitors

Gs

Gnankoye s.

Internet, 1-10 employees

OpenShot Video Editor

OpenShot Video Editor is really nice for video editing

Pros

Thank you very much OpenShot Video Editor, I was very confused in editing my videos, but this software has solved all my worries

Cons

Honestly, I was convinced without any problem

LM

Leah M.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

OpenShot Video Editor - the quick and easy place to go to learn video editing.

Have been using it to make quick and dirty videos with a high quality result for over 2 years now, and it's still one of those "I can just do it here" tools I reach for easily.

Pros

OpenShot is quick to download and install, and easy to use - I really like it as an inexpensive and quickly functional piece of my toolkit that clients can use during reviews of their results as well.

Cons

It was a bit non-intuitive to learn how the interface works at first, but when all else failed, I read the instructions, and things got a lot clearer a lot quicker.

CK

Cedric K.

Banking, 201-500 employees

Openshot

Pros

For me it's one of the best software to make a video it's easy to use and the quality of the videos is incredible

Cons

No drawbacks I use it frequently and I haven't found any

AD

Alioune D.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Openshot

Pros

It is one of the best software to make videos and complete and easy to use. I manage to process my videos well with

Cons

I have had no problems with Openshot and it has lowered the price

UB

Umair B.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The best free and Open Source Video Editing Software

Almost always I use OpenShot for my video editing projects. I record videos and then upload them to Social Media. So before uploading, I always edit the videos in OpenShot. I have also edited a lot of videos for my clients in this Software. So my overall experience with OpenShot is really awesome. Transitions and effects panels of this software are really awesome. Because I have applied transitions and effects to my videos using these two panels.

Pros

You can download OpenShot for any Platform. No matter you are a Windows user, Linux user or Mac user. You can download and use this software Because it’s totally free and open-source. According to my point of view, OpenShot is the best free video editing software. You can easily import the project, then you can drag and drop the components in the timeline of your composition. Then you can apply stunning effects and transitions to your files.

Cons

According to my point of view, there should be more options for 3d editing. Or there should be some external plugins or modules that can be helpful for the 3d editing in OpenShot. All other things about this software are really Incredible.

SR

Syed R.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

OpenShot Video Editor is a great tool to make a perfect video

OpenShot is a versatile tool. My experience to work with it is great.

Pros

I am using OpenShot almost daily to make varities type of videos and this is really a handy tool to make videos quickly. I can mix and match my all video elemants, also I can add extra tools if I need from the OpenShot. It's really easy to get a complete video with in few minutes and I think you don't need to be an expart video editor to work with Openshot. Now a days, so may people has their own channel and they also want to make videos to show everyone and I think OpenShoot is perfect for inexpert people. For official use Openshot is a great video editor.

Cons

As a regular user of OpenShot I would say it's a great tool. But I wish if they could have more additional elemants and tools then it will be more easier to complete videos. However, I like use this tool and this is make my task esay.

Jeff V.

Construction, 51-200 employees

OpenShot Hits The Target

We're able to provide a Sunday morning service to our shut-ins parishioners or those who couldn't make the service in person. Since we started a few years ago, this has been a great method of outreach.

Pros

My favorite aspect about OpenShot Video Editor is it's simplicity of use. I am the Tech Advisor at our church but also the volunteer editor of the weekly services. I am using OpenShot in hopes that one day another parishioner will step up and assist. I don't think it will be difficult to train them on this Editor program once they use it once or twice.

Cons

Perhaps it's my machine but I wish that it would render / export the video quicker. I've gotten the process down to where I do other things during this period (about 3 hours / hour of video), but for the price you can't go wrong.

SK

Sarada K.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

The friendly video editing software

Before finding this software I faced many problems using different video editing software. That software was more complicated and difficult to use. anyway, the outcome also not much good. But after finding this software I'm making high-quality videos without any difficulties with minimum time-consuming. I would like to say this is the best software for video editing because this is very friendly software anyone can use this with the minimal knowledge. The good thing is the best quality videos we can make within a minimum time period.

Pros

The best thing about this software is easy to control or use. It means the way of using this software very much familiar to me. This is free software. Nowadays most of the peoples are using this software to make the videos. Especially, When they are making videos for the business promoting purpose. Personally I'm using this software to make the video clip by using the pictures. Then I can use the audio track also. Othe thing is I can insert the letters to my video, Finally I can make the subtitles also. I like this software and recently I installed the latest version of this software.

Cons

So far I don't have much problem during using of this software, But I think it is some difficulties I felt during the making of subtitles. It was a little bit of getting more time. Still, I'm also studying about this software. I think later on It will be ok for me.

SS

Shemsi S.

Animation, self-employed

Openshot the most easy software to use

Very efficient and good

Pros

Ability to save in dffeent formats and download videos

Cons

Edit function and trimming does not work

AH

Adnan H.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

The Best Video Editor for Video Editing

My overall experience with OpnShot Video Editor is really nice because I have edited a lot of videos using this software. I always edit my business videos with OpenShot Video Editor.

Pros

OpenShot is an incredibly professional video editing software for video editors. The tools are really powerful and simple to use. You can edit and compose videos from scratch to the advanced level.

Cons

There are a lot of features and functions that we can use in OpenShot Video Editor, But if the administration will add some extended 3d animation plugin, that would be greater. All other features are amazing.

RA

Rafay A.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Easy and Effective for video editing

Pros

It's really effective and easy to use. Really helped me a lot in making creative videos by using its effects and other features. Just WOW!!

Cons

Not at all. Everything is really awesome!

CS

Cheick S.

Oil & Energy, 10,001+ employees

Openshot review

Pros

Openshot is very good video editing software. Free and suitable for beginners it will be very useful for you

Cons

No problem encountered in the use of this software I highly recommend

MA

Méo A.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Openshot review

Pros

Openshot is my working tool for video editing. It is easy to use and saves time.

Cons

Exporting the files takes a little time than other similar software

kelvin F.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

OpenShot Video Editor-Review

Openshot is the best video editing software by far because am able to do good editing for my online video easily without having to download expensive and heavy software. hence its free software and opensource too. It's very and comes with ample features for anybody who would like to edit videos.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, comes with lots of intuitive tools and you don't need any experience to get started in editing videos.

Cons

Though the features are okay, it sometimes crashes when I do editing on lengthy video or I mistakenly use a .wmv format. I least like the blender option required to embed text in the video, that said, it's good software.

Michael J N.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, self-employed

Openshot is the perfect personal video editing option

I use Openshot to shorten video clips and to combine multiple shots together. It serves me well and the best part is it's free!

Pros

I love how easy it is to trim video recordings to make shorter clips in web friendly video formats. Also handy for adding text overlays.

Cons

My first experiences with the software resulted in some instability and crashes but the most recent updates seem to have resolved these issues.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Open-source Magic

As someone who loves open-source software, Openshot was something I simply had to try when it came to a point where, due to reasons, I wasn’t able to use my paid editing software of choice. Though it seemed a bit daunting at first, I quickly got the hang of it rather quickly, all thanks to the following software pros:

Pros

The availability of a large number of online tutorials on just about anything related to it; how to trim a video, add effects, add subtitles —you name it, there’s a tutorial out there for it. Its simple layout makes sure that everything you need is right there; front and centre, without the complicated drop-down menus. It’s open source. Therefore free to use.

Cons

There are the occasional bugs that need to be ironed out, for instance: the hanging when exporting videos. Lastly, and this isn’t a major con, but as with any free software the UI could use a bit of polish.

LS

Linos S.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Fast, fully customizable, but with a slightly steep learning curve

I've used OpenShot Video Editor in the past. At first, I preferred simpler applications, but once I had to make a half-hour project from more than 5 hours of audio and multi-cam video footage, I had to go for something more serious. Because I had to customize OpenShot Video Editor to my needs for said project, now I only use this, even for the simplest task.

Pros

OpenShot Video Editor is probably the most powerful video editor and exported one can use on Fedora Linux. Anything and everything can be added to it's collection, from basic color correction to fully custom transitions, and there is a big community that shares their own. Rendering can be done in virtually every format and file type. Do not let the zero price fool you; this is a tool for professionals.

Cons

Although it is really ease to use once its fully customized, customization itself can be somewhat hard. But otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to be that powerful. For a more simple experience, one can use other applications which are made for that purpose, but don't dwell into professional video editing.

Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 employees

can be used to multifarious purposes.

I am able to create micro user guides to send to clients. Product videos that can be added to the presentation decks.

Pros

I recently started using this tool and I think its a great value addition. You can do multiple things like, cropping a video, adding sound track, converting to mp4. It serves a lot of purposes with absolutely no cost. Its supported on different operating systems, I am using it on Linux and Mac. Both are great. Love it.

Cons

Not sure if this is an OS issue but the video stutters sometimes while editing. The final output is still perfect though.

Timothy K.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

Used other for 6-12 months

Good video editing tool

Used it to put together a mission trip for Church but due to crashing it took a lot longer than I thought. I think it's better stability-wise now.

Pros

It's free! Also, it's simple, easy to use, a fair number of built in filters, transitions, effects, etc.

Cons

Kept crashing on me which would lose my work so had to save the pfoject every step, project files weren't transferrable would be nice to be able to package the project with assets so that you can transport it (reinstalled Linux). Tutorials would be helpful