OpenShot Video Editor Logo

Free and open-source video editing software!

OpenShot Video Editor Reviews

Suggested alternatives

vimeo-pro
videopad
wistia

My overall experience with this software is very amazing and i strongly recommend Openshot video editor to the professionals who are looking for exciting video editing experience.
I got it because right now my budget doesn't allow for anything better, and it's the closest to what I use at work, PowerDirector, which I love.
Another frustration I'm dealing with at this moment is how difficult the minimize functions are.
This is too much wasted time when you're editing a 1 hour, 10 minute video.
I assure you this is not an ad for PD. I 'm sure there are many better programs out there. But OpenShoot just frustrates me to no end, and PD is my only other frame of reference.

Jacob Ira A.

Owner

Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees

Just works and its free!!!

Transcript

Jacob I.: Hi. My name is Jacob and I am the owner and head IT of Rocky Mountain Expert Computer Service....

Muddassar B.

Apparel & Fashion, 10,001+ employees

Professional and Open-Source Video Editor

I have used the software to edit my own personal videos. Also, I have edited the videos of my clients. The software has helped me to create compositions from scratch to the advanced level. No doubt, OpenShot is the really simple and powerful video editor. I really like this software, because I have created a number of stunning videos using the OpenShot. I can export the video in different formats. So sometimes I export or save my work as a MP4 file and sometimes I use other formats. So my overall experience with this video editor is really incredible.

Pros

OpenShot is the best and perfect video editor. We can download the software free of cost because this is open-source software. This software is very easy to learn because the dashboard interface is very simple. We can easily understand the features and functions of different panels. From the effects and transitions panel, we can drag and drop beautiful effects in our timeline. We can create a lot of layers for your different videos and soundtracks. We can also apply different beautiful animations like fade, bounce, slide and more.

Cons

I would really like if I will able to find more plugins or templates on the official website of OpenShot. No doubt, there are hundreds of effects, features, and transitions that we can also simply apply from the software. Only if they add some external plugins in the website, that will be really Awesome. So for me, all other features of OpenShot Video Editor are really fabulous.

Annam K.

Insurance, 51-200 employees

The Best and Open-Source Video Editing Software

My overall experience with OpenShot Video Editor is really outstanding because I have used the software for my personal projects. I really like the 3D animations which I usually apply in my projects. Especially I need slow motion in my video projects, so I easily add slow motion in the videos. Sometimes I also create title in the beginning of the videos. So I really like this simple and incredible video editing software. Once i apply the transitions, then i preview the video before the export process.

Pros

Openshot is really awesome and a professional video editing software. The most important thing that it is completely free. The interface of this software is really easy to understand and use. All panels are really fabulous. You can simply import the files then you can drag and drop the files in your timeline. Then using effects and transitions you can apply a hundered of beautiful transitions. You can easily trim your exisiting videos or if you want to edit audio you can also edit the audio or sound. You can add unlimited layers.

Cons

According to my experience, we can find all video editing features, tools and options in the OpenShot Video editor. So as per my point of view, every features and use of this software is awseome. Only if we find more external plugins or modules that will be really awesome. Here plugins means, like we will able to apply more new transitions and effects. All other options are outstanding.

Géovanny N.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

The free and intuitive video editing solution for all levels

Pros

As an Openshot user, I can say that there are several advantages to this video editing software. First of all, its free nature makes it a popular choice for beginners or users with a limited budget. Second, Openshot is relatively easy to use, thanks to its intuitive user interface and smooth learning curve. In addition, it offers a variety of editing tools, visual effects and transitions to customize my videos. Finally, Openshot is available on multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux, making it accessible to a wide community of users

Cons

Openshot can sometimes be unstable and can crash or close unexpectedly, which can be frustrating if you're working on a large project. Also, its range of features is not as extensive as some of the more advanced video editing software, which can limit its capabilities for more complex projects. Finally, although the Openshot community is active and often provides updates, support can be limited compared to more popular and commercial video editing solutions. Despite these drawbacks, I find Openshot to still be an excellent choice for beginner to intermediate users looking for a simple, free video editing solution.

Iqra Z.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

The best and Professional Video Editor

Video editing is the need for our business because we have to make videos regarding the content and work of our business. So I always compose and make videos in OpenShot Video Editor. There are lots of reasons, the first reason it is free and open-source. Second, the dashboard, panels, and all features are really easy to use.

Pros

OpenShot Video editor allows you to make stunning and fabulous videos. You can import the content like images and videos in your composition. Then you can apply lots of different beautiful transitions and effects. You can add as many layers as you want. The software allows you to export the video with different formats and options.

Cons

For my personal and business needs, OpenShot Video Editor always helped me and I never faced any kind of issue during the use of this software. Especially it is free. So according to me, there are no cons. Everything of OpenShot Video Editor is awesome.

Farhan B.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001-5,000 employees

Open-source and Award Winning Free Video Editing Software

For me, OpenShot is really important. Because I always create my business videos using the OpenShot software. Especially I apply slow motion and different animations to my videos. So my overall experience with this software is outstanding.

Pros

OpenShot is an open-source and award winning free video editing software. You can create stunning and beautiful videos using different professional transitions and effects. The software is really easy to understand and use. You can use different video and audio layers. There are lots of video effects you can apply to your videos.

Cons

According to my experience, there should be more 3d animations and transitions for the beginners. No doubt, we have thousands of good animations, transitions and effects in the software. But some few more 3d transitions will be awesome.

AD

Architecte D.

OpenShot Video Editor

OpenShot Video Editor is one of the best video editing software in good quality

Pros

Good software for good video editing of very good quality that I really enjoyed. It is a good software

Cons

Actually, the editing is very easy, and the videos are of very good quality

IS

Ibrahima Sory C.

Internet, 1-10 employees

Good video editing software with very good performance OpenShot Video Editor

Pros

More than two years I use this famous software to edit my videos, it is a very good software

Cons

Everything is going very well with no worries, the performance is better

OS

Ousmane S.

OpenShot Video Editor

OpenShot Video Editor is very nice for editing a video with better image quality

Pros

I have never seen a better video editing software than OpenShot Video Editor. This software surprised me a lot with its quality and speed, it is a very good tool

Cons

Honestly, it is a simple and easy to use software without any problem

MA

Michael A.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

OpenShot is easy to use but limited

We were using this to put together instructional videos for YouTube. We were able to get the file ready for uploading, but once we wanted to overlay PowerPoint slides on the green screen things became more complicated and not as usable as we wanted.

Pros

The learning curve is very easy on this software! I was up and running within an hour without much research or instruction. Very easy and intuitive, very mouse driven, graphically driven, not pull-down driven.

Cons

The ability to do basic editing is great but there is not a lot more to do. If you need only basic editing it is so incredible easy!! Overlays, text can be done but are not as flexible as I wanted. Tried adding an overlay but it tried splitting the file to fit it in. Did more research and found out better way to make it work but it was not as intuitive as I wanted. Was going to recommend to a friend, but after the editing experience I decided to recommend something for flexible and powerful. I have gone back and forth with the software. I love the ease of use but the limitations are troubling.

LM

Leah M.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

OpenShot Video Editor - the quick and easy place to go to learn video editing.

Have been using it to make quick and dirty videos with a high quality result for over 2 years now, and it's still one of those "I can just do it here" tools I reach for easily.

Pros

OpenShot is quick to download and install, and easy to use - I really like it as an inexpensive and quickly functional piece of my toolkit that clients can use during reviews of their results as well.

Cons

It was a bit non-intuitive to learn how the interface works at first, but when all else failed, I read the instructions, and things got a lot clearer a lot quicker.

MA

Minette A.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

video editing software for beginners

i think it a good video software for beginers and i think it is more compatible with windows 10

Pros

i think it is good for converting standard video sizes like 640x480 or 720x480 screensizes to HD 720p quality output but you need to do some adjustments in the settings of each video at the timeline

Cons

im having trouble rendering previews when it is used in windows 7

MK

Moussa K.

OpenShot Video Editor

OpenShot Video Editor is a better tool for creating good quality videos

Pros

For good quality YouTube videos, I tried OpenShot Video Editor and found it very great. It's easy to use and the videos are of good quality

Cons

My videos are of good quality and then the use is very easy and fast which I have no problem for the moment

JC

Jawad C.

OpenShot Video Editor software review

OpenShot Video Editor is really great for video editing

Pros

To create my short promotional product videos, I use this nice video editing tool in good quality

Cons

Sometimes my videos take a long time to be recorded.

SU

Sean U.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Free Open-Source Video Editor thats pretty good

its been nice. Trying to dive in head first without tutorials or learning any tips and tricks was difficult. It's not as intuitive as many editors are but its a free open source software so...it is what it is.

Pros

For someone who doesn't have an unending flow of cash. A free reliable video editor is a tough thing to find. Couple that with the fact that its open source, and ever improving. OpenShot is a great option for those on a strict budget. Other than the fact that its free, it does most everything you'd expect out of a video editor. Also with online tutorials, learning is easy and free as well!

Cons

obviously not as comprehensive as say Adobe Premiere. But unless you have an extra arm and a leg, that can break the bank easily. Especially with the way children these days are mesmerized by the thought of being a YouTuber, if you're a parent, OpenShot is a great alternative. Not as intuitive either...big turn off for video editing.

ES

Eddie S.

Online Media, self-employed

This Video Editor Is GARBAGE!

It Is Complete GARBAGE AND SHOULD BE THROWN AWAY AS SUCH! GO TO ADOBE SOFTWARE PRODUCTS, THEY MAY BE PRICY BUT ITS WORTH IT! UNLIKE THIS TRASH VIDEO EDITOR!

Pros

Zero pros! It's complete trash! If you like waiting 20-30 minutes of it freezing in between 3 seconds of it not freezing every second then your an idiot

Cons

Freezes every 3 seconds for 20-30 minutes at a time without you pressing anything or doing anything. The video refuses to play back, you will end up waiting 2 hours for your original uncut raw footage to even play, if your lucky!

Hi Eddie, I am sorry that you had so many issues with OpenShot Video Editor. Our release version is more than a year old, and we've learned much since then. Our developers are constantly making improvements to the program, but they add them to our Daily Builds, not the release version. You can download our latest Daily Build from our website to review our latest feature enhancements, bug fixes, and performance improvements. The address is https://www.openshot.org/download/#daily. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with our Technical Support Help Desk through Email at support@openshot.org.

Michael C.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

It's Good For Light And Home Videos

Overall it was a rather pleasant experience. Especially since it allowed me to explore the world of editing and develop my skills on a low-end computer with relative ease. I'd recommend it to everyone I know who's wanting to start.

Pros

I like how simple the software. Plain drag, drop and adjust. It's super lightweight and it rarely stutters on low-end PCs unless your videos are in 60 fps or something. I really like the app because it was what allowed me to edit short videos on relatively low effort and what got me aiming higher and higher until I needed more developed software to achieve the results I was looking for. I recommend this for those who want to edit home videos or even if you just want to learn the basics of editing without having to necessarily dive too deep and learn all of the advanced techniques.

Cons

Even though the software is rather simple it should at least have a few options here and there for basic adjustments like exposure, lights and shadows. It's a small thing but the main reason why I had to move onto other software.

AH

Adnan H.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

The Best Video Editor for Video Editing

My overall experience with OpnShot Video Editor is really nice because I have edited a lot of videos using this software. I always edit my business videos with OpenShot Video Editor.

Pros

OpenShot is an incredibly professional video editing software for video editors. The tools are really powerful and simple to use. You can edit and compose videos from scratch to the advanced level.

Cons

There are a lot of features and functions that we can use in OpenShot Video Editor, But if the administration will add some extended 3d animation plugin, that would be greater. All other features are amazing.

MT

Michael T.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

Very video editor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

I use to use Openshot to edit my drone footage, and I still do from time to time. I have never had any issues with it, and it has always done the job excellently.

Pros

Openshot is a free and open source software. It is maintained by a community of programmers that are very helpful in keeping it working and up to date. It has a wide range of transitions, and even has an add on for Firefox.

Cons

As with a lot of open source software Openshot can be buggy at times, and occasionally some of the features do not work as well as they do in paid software, but if you do run into any issues, there is a huge community of users to assist you with any issues.

CS

Cheick S.

Oil & Energy, 10,001+ employees

Openshot review

Pros

Openshot is very good video editing software. Free and suitable for beginners it will be very useful for you

Cons

No problem encountered in the use of this software I highly recommend

AA

Athanase A.

Internet, 51-200 employees

Openshot review

Pros

Openshot is very pleasant to use and allows you to edit your videos to perfection

Cons

Nothing to say on this subject. Openshot has no problem in my opinion.

MM

Michael M.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Absolutely worthless

Going in, I was told this was a bare bones editor, but I figured that was okay because what I needed to do was very basic. My client did a speaking engagement and the video was in two parts. She wanted me to edit the last bit from the first file to the beginning of the second, so that each part would be all of one of the two topics she spoke on. This worthless program couldn't even handle that simple...

Pros

I never found any good uses for this product.

Cons

Can not handle even simple tasks. Can only be used to add music over still images.

Hi Michael, I am sorry that you had issues with OpenShot Video Editor. You probably downloaded our release version, which is over a year old. Our developers are updating OpenShot as quickly as they discover bugs and can add new features. Would you please try downloading and installing our latest Daily Build to review the newest bug fixes and feature enhancements? You can download our latest Daily build from our website at https://www.openshot.org/download/#daily. If you have any questions or concerns, please get in touch with our Technical Support Help Desk through Email at support@openshot.org.

TT

Tyler T.

Entertainment, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Good free video editor

I can create videos in several different formats with very complex and intense audio added in. Openshot is perfect for a Youtuber on a budget.

Pros

While Openshot is a good video editor in general my favorite feature is its powerful audio editing. When I need to create a video with an intense soundtrack Openshot is my go to editor.

Cons

While Openshot is a good editor it has a tendency to lag and can even get so bad while lagging that it will freeze and crash. This has cause me to move to other video editors, but I still use Openshot for the audio editor.

kelvin F.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

OpenShot Video Editor-Review

Openshot is the best video editing software by far because am able to do good editing for my online video easily without having to download expensive and heavy software. hence its free software and opensource too. It's very and comes with ample features for anybody who would like to edit videos.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, comes with lots of intuitive tools and you don't need any experience to get started in editing videos.

Cons

Though the features are okay, it sometimes crashes when I do editing on lengthy video or I mistakenly use a .wmv format. I least like the blender option required to embed text in the video, that said, it's good software.

Meale Y.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 1-10 employees

the video editating software

a strong software for videos

Pros

Openshot Video Editor is a very good software . it is generally used to edit videos

Cons

some editating tools are not really easy and must be explained to new users

RC

Robert C.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Great Value

Pros

For an open source product, this one packs a big punchm

Cons

Sometime the product will hang a little which is frustrating.