IBM SPSS Statistics Logo

IBM SPSS Statistics

Business intelligence and statistical analysis software

IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.47/10

Reviews by rating

The quality of the analyses we're able to do make it a very effective tool for our data analysis and our ability to clearly, accurately and creatively report our findings.
The software allows for easy statistical analysis of large data. It was great to use for teaching students who are interested in research as a career as it was easy to use and interpret the results.
Excellent product for combining/matching two large data sets using a field in common. Being able to copy and paste the code to repeat steps was a great feature to improve efficiency.
It’s hard to know if the numbers you are entering are being examined correctly by SPSS, but it’s not a software problem it’s a user problem.
This is not a very user-friendly software. If you have no training on how to use it, you can manipulate your results or it can be found unreliable because the wrong test was used.
Sometimes we experience lags while uploading large data sets. Finding error in syntax is difficult task.

MA

Michael A.

Sr Digital Transformation

Market Research, 5,001-10,000 employees

IBM SPSS Statistics Review: Exactly What We Needed.

Transcript

Michael A.: I'm Michael. I am a market researcher and a digital transformation specialist. I work at...

JT

John T.

It manager/marketing

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

SPSS User Review

Transcript

John: My name is John. I am an IT manager. I give IBM SPSS a five out of five. And for more reviews like...

Arpine A.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Data management and analysis software for newbies and for professionals

I have started to use SPSS when I was a student, now I have 10+ years of experience using it. Thanks to its user-friendly interface it is quite easy for the newbies to get started with the software, and after a while be proficient to use the syntax and optimize the time when managing databases and running analysis.

Pros

The software has almost all the tools the analyst or database manager needs to have. The newer versions also support Armenian characters, which is a huge improvement of the database quality, there is no need any more to transcribe tons of questions and responses. Also, there are tons of tutorials with detailed explanation, also thick books for folks who prefer the old school method. When writing this review, I couldn't assess the support center, and I caught myself thinking that there are plenty of SPSS users out there and once googled some question, eventually many reviews pop up. That is why I have never contacted the support for help.

Cons

When working with large databases, specifically if there are multiple textual columns (non-numeric), the work of the program as well as the computer is obviously slowing down. Another point is that the missing values should be max 3 or a range plus one value. When creating the variable and defining missing values, one should pay attention and set the values so they won't need to do the re-coding.

MA

Mohammad A.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

SPSS Still best statistical application.

The greatest application I have worked on in statistics. Indeed nothing compared.

Pros

It is very easy to use unlike other applications. It is very specialized in its category and you do not need much time to understand how it works.

Cons

More ideas might be required to reflect dashboards as a result of the analysis. More diagrams maybe needs to be added to the application.

Market Research, 11-50 employees

Absolutely horrible

Absolutely horrible. It runs like a behemoth and can't even merge files without sitting there after you click a button... just sits there. Doesn't tell you it's working, doesn't tell you how long it will take, doesn't give you any indication that it hasn't just frozen. And sometimes it does. I've let it sit for 30 minutes before waiting to merge a file with less than 10,000 variables. What a joke.

Pros

It's supposed to help analyze data, but you don't get to that point... they screw up the basics.

Cons

The programmers can't even get the basics right. Opening, saving, merging data seem to be like way too much for this to handle. Poorly programmed is giving them the benefit of the doubt. Completely runs like a third grader programmed it in his spare time between multiplication table flashcards.

HC

Hilary C.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Analyse your dissertation data with spss

Hard to use, but it gets the job done, and you get your results which are reliable and well tabulated.

Pros

it helped me analyse my survey data when l was writing up my dissertation. its simpler that other statistical tools I could import and export data easily from excel to spss l managed to analyse descriptive data and do regressions using a YouTube tutorial. data analysis doesn't take forever, its quick it allowed me to edit, when doing school work one always makes errors, and with spss you can redo as many times as you need to. for basic data interpretetion and analysis spss is the good to go

Cons

its difficult to use, alone you cant unless maybe you are a math and stats guru sadly it doesn't copy and paste tables and charts neatly to Microsoft word, l had to type again if l wanted the analyse data to be on my word documents and that is a lot of work.

da

desmond a.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

IBM SPSS TOOL : A great statistical tool for all statisticians and scholars to have

Quite satisfactory

Pros

Ease of use and simple navigable interface and great inapp tools that enhance data processing.

Cons

More complex statistical derivation of today academic needs need to be incoporated into the software. E.g KNN statistical analysis etc. Also the frequency in server crash whiles performing some statistical processes should he address

SK

Sourav K.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

SPSS is amazingly good for my raw data

I am a research scholar and i am doing my PhD. I collect data from the field and it requires processing. since the data is huge, it has to be manageable and understandable insights must be derived from it. SPSS does just that for me.

Pros

ability to process huge amounts of data in short time. easy to use interface.

Cons

no option to search for a specific feature or operation that i want to apply.

mp

maria paula m.

Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees

User friendly

I really like this plataform and even with new plataforms, I still keep using it sometimes.

Pros

It is user friendly even for who is starting to learn statistics

Cons

That you have to repeat all analysis by hand, you cannot change what you did.

Esther R.

Information Services, self-employed

Excellent Statistics Program, But Showing Its Age

Overall, among statistics programs, SPSS is by far the easiest to use in my experience. It offers an extensive set of statistical tests, can import data from multiple outside programs, and walks you through many of the set up steps for the more-advanced statistical tests. However, the interface, while easy to use, is showing its age and isn't always the most pleasant. Additionally, it will often experience freezes when importing data, to the point that the external program needs to be restarted in order to finish the import. If you can get past these relatively minor concerns, however, SPSS is for many users the best option for performing statistical tests, and its cost can be tailored to your individual needs.

Pros

Easy-to-use interface, comprehensive feature set, works with a wide variety of data sources, multiple purchase options for individualized needs

Cons

Often slows down when dealing with large datasets, has a tendency to freeze for long periods of time when importing data, not all statistical tests offered by the software are well-documented or well-designed

WI

Wassim I.

Computer Networking, 501-1,000 employees

IBM SPSS: Data Analysis and Management for Graduate Research

IBM SPSS is the leading data analysis software. It was really a major support in our graduate research in the fields of big data algorithms and cloud computing.

Pros

I have used SPSS to carry data analysis and reporting for my security and cloud computing research to support the different statistical analysis and management for my simulations. I like the variable support in SPSS that gives a better data view of the samples in one Spreadsheet. The variable creation process is highly automated that makes the deployment of the statistical model much more facilitated. Moreover, the variable configuration process is very intuitive and resembles basic relational entities in RDBMSes. By the way, I integrated SPSS with prominent RDBMSes such as Oracle and MySQL.

Cons

The main limitation that occurred is the performance degradation when loading large data sets. Though, this wasn't easily replicated, we believe that the size of the data set could be the main factor resulting in the lags we experienced. The SPSS learning curve is steep and it requires a lot of training to make the user acquainted to use it effectively.

Research, 1-10 employees

Best Statistical package for data analysis

Pros

It is easier for data analysis in Statistics

Cons

It may not be used to perform all things in Data science

Steven D.

Education Management, self-employed

A sports car product

I've used SPSS since it was only available on mainframe computers and so I am quite comfortable with the software. I can move data in and out of the system. I use SPSS for evaluation but always move to something else for visualization.

Pros

SPSS is a feature rich product that has evolved to serve professional statisticians. It can do almost everything you could imagine. The new integration with R makes it even more capable. If you are trying to perform advanced modeling it can do it. It accepts data in most formats and can export data with ease.

Cons

Like a sports car, it is not easy. The menu system is not intuitive and options can be fussy. After years of working with it, I sometimes still end up searching for the test I want. The graphics are widely accepted in academic publications but are far behind those for the more commercial press. Tables often must be reworked to meet the standards necessary for any quality report. The software comes in several flavors. This is great for saving money but often leaves people wanting features or tests only available in the next upgrade. Given the high cost of the software -- particularly for business customers -- an upgrade can be prohibitive.

OK

Ozge K.

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Review of SPSS

When I first used the program, it was very difficult and almost impossible to learn. However, as I spent time in it, I began to understand and comprehend. Ultimately, the program allows for a great experience if well learned. I think it is necessary to learn this program in order to be a good researcher.

Pros

I like to be able to see the analyzes I have done in the past with a single click, making it easy for me to switch to a new analysis while I am analyzing the data most in the software. At the same time, the program works very fast and I can see all the data analysis I want on a single screen. Again, by allowing the SPSS-Macro extension, I find it successful to do the analysis formats developed by Hayek. While doing this, I do not experience any freezing in the program, it runs smoothly. In this sense, it provides great convenience in terms of coding and processing of my data, as well as during analysis. Similarly, allowing graphics to be made in the program allows me to visualize the results of the analyzes I have obtained.

Cons

The lack of language support in the program is a disadvantage for me. Therefore, the only downside about the program is that you cannot access the software in my own language.

Jose M.

A great tool for the statistical analysis of data for its simplicity and excellent results

Ease and speed in the analysis of large volumes of data, in addition to a wide possibility for the treatment of them in a single software and for a price quote adequate to the results provided

Pros

It is an excellent software for handling large volumes of data, because it allows in a simple way without great technical knowledge to perform from simple statistical calculations, descriptive statistics, data validation to inferential or predictive statistics. It is designed in a simple and user-friendly way since it is not necessary to use complex knowledge to encode data when using qualitative data. In relation to the predictive information that allows to generate is of great support for decision making, especially through the statistical models generated by the data under study, thus allowing the obtaining of models whose level of confidence can reach up to 95% . In a few words, an ideal software for research, mainly in the social area.

Cons

Due to the large number of possibilities it offers for the treatment and analysis of data, it can be quite overwhelming in principle, especially if the differences between each of the analysis possibilities it provides are not clear. This also means that it is necessary to dedicate a considerable time to explore each one of the possibilities that it offers and to see the tutorials offered for the use of the software. Another disadvantage is the quality of the generated graphics, if we compare them with other similar software for the handling and analysis of data that exist in the market, since if we want to have better quality graphics, mainly if we need to make presentations in general we must go to other software.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

The most effective statistical software for research projects

I start utilizing SPSS for my university research project in my senior year.Since then, I've used this software for a variety of tasks and investigations. highly recommended

Pros

Plenty of output options are available with IBM SPSS, including tables, charts, and graphs. The application makes it simpler to evaluate and demonstrate outcomes of research.Allows users to use SPSS with other statistical tools by being able to import and export data in various formats. It makes  easier to integrate with multiple research workflows.Offers automation tools such as batch processing and syntax automation that can speed up repetitive tasks . It helps researches to focus more on data interpretation and analysisThere are numerous methods for dealing with missing data, such as mean substitution, multiple imputation, and maximum likelihood estimation. These tools enable researchers to successfully address the problem of missing data, resulting in reliable and accurate analysis.

Cons

In terms of computer memory and processing power, SPSS can be demanding, especially when working with huge datasets or carrying out complex analysis. Users with older or less powerful computers may face difficulties as a result, which could affect how well the software performs.Updates to software could cause for unexpected issues or need for modifications to current workflows, potentially compromising ongoing research projects.

Research, 10,001+ employees

SPSS - fantastic platform for running statistical analyses.....at a cost

SPSS is more straight forward to use in comparison to its competitors, but it is more expensive. Open source alternatives such as R are great, but require knowledge in traditional code such as Python. SPSS is more beginner friendly than R. Use SPSS if you can afford it.

Pros

SPSS allows me to work in point and click and also in syntax to run analyses to solve our research questions. I typically run linear regressions, ANOVAs, ANCOVAs, and descriptives/frequencies in SPSS. My favorite part of this software is how easy it is to use in comparison to its competitors.

Cons

I really dislike the price of a license. My company covers the cost of the license so I do not have to worry about it, but I would be hesitant to use SPSS if I had to purchase a license on my own dime.

Thomas Y.

If you're looking for a point-and-click analytics software, SPSS is probably the best one out there.

The software benefits me by offering easy to read and useful tables and charts that don't require tons of time outside of the software to make the tables/charts publication quality. Every reader of my SPSS works loves what SPSS produces.

Pros

SPSS is the most user-friendly statistical analysis and data mining software on the market. The point-and-click interface makes it easy to construct. The ability to create scripts for future automation is nice and its movement into new areas like text analytics and big data makes it more useful. The SPSS output is the best I've ever used for publication quality tables.

Cons

Although SPSS is very user-friendly, its graphical capabilities are sub-par compared to similar software. Because the software is so user-friendly, if you're a more advanced user like myself, SPSS takes more time and has more restrictions to customize the reports and analytical reports.

KM

Kongnyu M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

SPPS has a very user-friendly interface, quite accessible and easy to understand.

In carrying out analysis this software made my work quite faster than usual, its such an efficient software.

Pros

The user friendly nature, automatic analysis and results features

Cons

Changing fonts during transfer of data, which is not much of a problem though.

Talha A.

Textiles, 10,001+ employees

Data analysis with SPSS

Its good for all type of data anaylsis, Economic,financial and descryptive and qunatitative. some graphics required to enhanced

Pros

we can regress multi variate cross sectional data.there is less chances of multicollearnity occurance due to auto deduction. F and ANOVA table always shows 100% accurate results.

Cons

Sometimes its become slow while using huge data set. its visual and graphics are not much advance and cannot be exportable.

LO

Latina O.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Handle that big data that's challenging you with IBM SPSS Statistics like a professional

The fact that I can handle any statistical problems without any challenge and I can handle a large data makes the tool the best for me

Pros

Data quality and information is key to wellbeing of any organisation. You will need to collect data and analyse it to know how you are performing outside world. IBM SPSS gives you a platform to analyse the collected data, manage it, visualize the data. For any statistical challenge you got covered. It can handle large data within minutes. You can also handle any kind of data from nominal, ordinal, interval etc

Cons

I wouldn't like to say that the tool is easy to use. If you don't have statistical knowledge be sure you will be stuck.

CG

Christopher G.

Education Management, 10,001+ employees

Clean your data easily

Pros

It is a great tool to filter all your data and with that to be able to propose a regression or predictive model that allows you to understand what the data you have says, it is important to know that you can configure the software with the specifications you want, it is important to note that all this requires a previous knowledge to have all the performance of the program, it is important to know that you can configure the software with the specifications you want, it is important to note that all this requires a previous knowledge to have all the performance of the program.

Cons

The only drawback is that you need to pay a subscription to use it as well as know that by itself this program does not do everything a data analyst needs, that is, you need to work with programs like Minitab or STATA to take advantage of all that this software tells you, since as such, only gives you ideas of what is happening with your data.

PM

PRINCE M.

Accounting, 1,001-5,000 employees

Academic research help

A useful tool for complex calculations , Various calculations can be extracted from this application.

Pros

At the University of Zimbabwe we have found a reliable solution in the SPSS application for the various researches that is carried out in different faculties. I used the app on my undergraduate research project and my MBA research which produced the best results . Free videos are available online on how to use SPSS and there you dont have to pay to be taught on how to use it

Cons

It took me some time to carefully study and understand how to use the SPSS, and therefore it might took someone some time to understand the different function on the app

MM

Max M.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Researcher's opinion about SPSS

Since my training, I have used other software packages (JASP, R, Stata), and although I would mostly pick those over SPSS, I would still heartily recommend this software package to others. Especially to people who are less experienced with statistical reporting.

Pros

I learnt statistics using SPSS, and for that it will always be a product that has personal significance for me. It is very user friendly and the UI and ribbon, although dated, allows inexperienced users to quickly understand and navigate its functionality. For simple statistical operations, SPSS is great.

Cons

For statisticians who are more experienced, SPSS will likely feel sluggish. It does not have the kind of customisation that other packages or programming languages have, e.g. R, and it can feel slow.

Market Research, self-employed

User-friendly and gets the job done

I learned how to work with SPSS when I was getting my Master's and thought it was super user-friendly, as you don't need to know how to code to use it. I have transferred the use to my daily work and I find it to be the most effective statistical analyses software to meet my needs. I tried Python and R, but SPSS is still the easiest and most intuitive tool out there.

Pros

SPSS is super user-friendly; you can get started super quickly, even if you do not know anything about syntaxes and coding. I particularly like the ability to create new syntaxes, save them, and use the same code for several similar studies.

Cons

I am a big fan of the software for data processing, but data visualization and reporting are not its strongest features. Exporting the data is often required to build analyses and reports.

Katherine M.

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Open source options are better and free

Pros

SPSS has been around for a very long time, so it's what a whole lot of researchers are most comfortable using, including usually myself, in spite of my criticism of it. It has most of the statistical tests that one needs for my area of research. Things usually work and the GUI interface is accessible to people. But there is also a script output, so one doesn't need to waste time pointing and clicking constantly. These are great features.

Cons

SPSS has been slow to adopt Bayesian testing and I hear that aspect still needs a lot of work. The outputs for any tests are typically quite difficult to read. The visualizations are quite poor / unattractive and not particularly easy to customize. I never publish SPSS-made graphs. Every person I know will use another software program to make data visualizations. SPSS costs money, and there are other open source options out there that are just as good or better. R has been open source for quite some time and has better and more customizable visualizations. It doesn't have a GUI interface, which is a pro of SPSS. But then there are programs like JASP that have GUI interfaces AND Bayesian functions AND scripting and they're free. So it's hard to justify SPSS.

BP

Binbin P.

Research, 10,001+ employees

Top statistic software

Pros

This is the top statistic software in the universal educational institute and professional consulting firms I believe. It contains almost every statistics functions and models inside, by simply clicking the methods you want you use, you will generate results with a second. The three independent windows help you distinguish the data area, code area, and output area.

Cons

The copy paste function in the output area sometimes ramble and messed up if you want to move your output to other sources. This can be upgrade in the later version of spss for sure.