Able2Extract Professional Logo

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.04/10

Reviews by rating

Easy to use, inexpensive. Great ability to extract data from PDF to Excel - better than Adobe and other products.
I've been using this for over a decade. It's reliable, it has great features and it's not too expensive.
I've used a lot of PDF conversion / editing tools over the years and Able2Extract is by far the best one. It's very easy to use and understand and their customer service is great.
Getting stuck and coming fatal error reports. Data not capturing when there are images frequently.
Sometimes the software guesses wrong about words so that review is required and sometimes formatting is off.
In 12, one has more of an ability to apply the same table structure to non-consecutive pages, but it has a bug and does not work well. My worker actually went back to using 11, she says 12 is bad.

AF

Adam F.

Operations Manager

Insurance, 11-50 employees

My favorite product!

Transcript

Adam: My name is Adam and I'm the director of operations for a life insurance advisory firm for high...

Zoran N.

Research, 1-10 employees

Quite useful tool

All in all its good and not so expensive

Pros

It has OCR, and its easy to use. Extracting useful info from pdf and making tables got easy

Cons

Sometimes does not align table rows properly, i have to use manual selection of tables.

Thanks for the comments, Zoran! Yes, the table selection in the custom Excel conversion feature will always give you the opportunity to fix those misalignments, so you don't have to re-convert and clean the rows post-conversion. We're glad you'r finding the software helpful. Cheers!

SN

Stephen N.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Great PDF to Excel Converter

Pros

This produces great conversations to excel from a pdf for bank statements.

Cons

The UI is antiquated and reminiscent of 1990s software freeware. I had an immediate negative reaction to the software when it loaded and spent time looking for a better software because I assumed this software couldn't compare against more modern options.

CS

Catrina S.

Legal Services, self-employed

Would not recommend personally

Pros

It has the ability to transfer data into excel or PDF form, so it's convenient at times

Cons

Not very accurate or organized. Even after extracting info, a lot is required to fix and edit it.

CK

Carl K.

Political Organization, self-employed

I love this software, but it could easily be improved greatly

It saves one from having to hand enter data.

Pros

Ease of use. I can train a worker to use it in well in under two hours. It is also more accurate than any other stand alone OCR software I've experimented with. I've downloaded and used free trials of at least four other OCR software programs, and they don't do as good of a job at converting the fairly hard to convert (very old) images of tables I'm converting to data files.

Cons

Version 12 had just one new feature for converting, and Version 11 the year before had no new features. I was really looking forward to 12, because I was hoping they would add some of the suggestions I've made, but was disappointed. In 12, one has more of an ability to apply the same table structure to non-consecutive pages, but it has a bug and does not work well. My worker actually went back to...

Carl, we¿re sorry to hear you aren¿t satisfied with this version. You make a valid point. We only had one new PDF to Excel feature (Named Table Structures) in version 12. We used this version update to focus primarily on improving PDF editing capabilities and there are only so many updates we can realistically implement within each version. However, thank you for your continued input and feedback on Able2Extract¿s PDF to Excel conversion :) We do value your suggestions and have already sent them to our developers. Lastly, if you can connect with our tech support team on what exact bugs you¿re experiencing with the table structures, we can work to help resolve that issue for you.

DT

Dharmesh T.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Its good product and economical too. Signature functionality is not quite good as DocuSign or Adobe but these software are costly too.

Pros

It is a very good product for those who are in the field of Bookkeeping and Accounting as it is convert the most bank accounts.

Cons

Its good for all pdf format to convert to Excel, Word etc. challenge to convert the image file. We tried a lot but most of the time we need to rework on those converted file.

Thanks for your feedback, Dharmesh! We're aware that image rendering isn't perfect for some files. However, our developers are working on it, and there should be some improvements soon. You can always reach out to our team at techsupport@investintech.com with the file and we'll see if we can reduce the post-conversion work for you.

AF

Adam F.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

My favorite product!

This is a very cost effective product to change different file types to other file types. Super easy to go from pdf to excel which is what we mainly use it for.

Pros

In my role, I need to transfer numbers from pdfs onto spreadsheets. Prior to using this software everything was done manually. Able2Extract has made this process so easy. We have been using this product for almost 10 years now!

Cons

I have no cons with this software. It does everything that we want it to quickly and easily. Would recommend to anyone who needs to transfer data from a pdf into an excel spreadsheet.

Thanks, Adam! Happy to hear that Able2Extract is still serving you well after all these years. That is exactly the type of Excel-PDF user expereince we hope to provide our users. Looking forward to keeping you on as an Able2Extract user for another 10!

PP

Peter P.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Indespensible Utility

Version 12 is just another great release of a very strong utility. This has been my go-to utility for extracting data from PDFs to load into SQL databases and Excel sheets. I've been a user since 2006 and I can not imagine going back to OCR and manual correction.

Pros

This software is very able to use and for the vast majority of the time, the simple automatic settings work flawlessly. For those other times, the simple interface lets you tweak the settings.

Cons

Version 12 changed the extract to Excel algorithm which added a empty column to one of my financial reports. It didn't change the report other than to have an empty column that must be deleted before I can copy and paste into my financial model. This is not a big deal, just the only con I can think of.

Thanks for the kind and helpful feedback, Peter! With each new version we try to improve automatic conversion results by expanding the range of different kinds of PDF document tables that would give good results. Our algorithm is constructed to work with as many files as possible, and unfortunately, in some cases, this can have a negative effect on some other specific files. If you¿d like to send us the file you have issues with, we can include that in our testing in an effort to correct the problem. Cheers!

EM

Eben M.

Accounting, self-employed

The software does what you want it to do

Pros

It's fast and saves me a lot of time when converting data to Excel. It has not problems with PDF forms when converting

Cons

Sometimes the coloumn layout gets warped a bit. The fonts don't always come through as per original document

Thanks for your input, Eben! With regards to the font conversions, this is most often the case where the font in the PDF file is embedded. Embedded fonts cannot be perfectly extracted since most embedded font formats used in PDF aren't recognized by Excel and also because using such fonts could be considered a copyright issue due to their proprietary nature. As such, Excel (including Word) will...

ND

Nancy D.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

A Lifesaver

We use this software to program our tax software.

Pros

Easy to use and works so well! It saves us a lot of time.

Cons

My version works well for me but it's hard to maintain because it keeps getting upgraded. I like the version I have and want to be able to move it from computer to computer as I replace my computer but after a few years I have to contact customer support to get my version as the download is no longer available. I would like to have a CD or something so I could continually download the version I originally purchased whenever I get a new computer.

Hey Nancy -You make a great point about moving your version to different computers. We do have the option to purchase a CD for the software. However, please check with customer support first to see if we have your version available. Moreover and even better, is that we can always get you set up with the installation link for your version. If you bookmark it or save it somewhere, you can always access your version instantly. Chat with us online, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get that to you when you need it. Thanks for bringing that up!

Mining & Metals, 1,001-5,000 employees

Swiss army knife software

Pros

I like the ability create, edit, modify, or convert many different file types. Especially helpful is the ability to convert scanned PDF files to Excel spreadsheets.

Cons

I sometimes cannot get the print to PDF function to work. When I go to print a document, it shows up in my list of printers as Able2Extract Professional Printer, however when I select it and print, nothing happens.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Able2Extract. We're sorry to hear you're having difficulties with the Printer driver. With the Able2Extract Professional Printer, please try and uninstall Able2Extract from your computer. When that's done, check the Devices and Printers section on your computer to see if the Able2Extract Printer is removed. If not, right click on the printer and select the "Remove device" option. Then delete the Able2Extract folder and all of its contents from your computer's Program Files folder. Finally, reboot the system and re-install the software.

DM

Denise M.

Writing and Editing, 1-10 employees

Happy with Reservations

Having used this software for many years, it has always stood me in good stead. I'm hoping that my current conversion challenges will soon be a thing of the past.

Pros

I've used this software for a long time now - many years. As translators clients often provided material either from another platform or format. In order to ensure timely delivery, the copy has to be converted into a basic format conducive to seamless translation of copy.

Cons

Recently it has become necessary to couple Able2Extract with additional software to covert financial statements in PDF into a spreadsheet format without generating coded copy. Unfortunately, I have been able to successfully download the recommended software without an error message. Hence progress comes to a grinding halt.

GS

Greg S.

Computer Hardware, 11-50 employees

Able2Extract Professional 12 Review

We respond to a lot of Tenders that include lots of forms and tables. Able2 Extract enables us to extract these into word or excel, saving a lot of time

Pros

It is easy to use and saves a lot of time

Cons

Sometimes it struggles with scanned documents

Hi Greg -- Thanks for sharing your user experience with us. To address your issues with scanned documents, you may want to try forcing the conversion by turning the OCR engine on. Go to the Edit menu > OCR Options> click on the "Perform Image-Based Conversion (OCR)" option. Or if what you have is a scanned PDF with a mixture of both digitally generated and scanned/image elements, you can try turning...

DW

David W.

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

Pays for itself the first time you use it.

Pros

We mostly use this for converting PDF's to DWG format. The software is intuitive to use and conversion is fast

Cons

PDF to CAD could be more accurate with linework. Does not capture the OCR layer in PDF. Does not do well creating text with CAD PDF files.

Thanks for sharing your comments, David! As to your issue, from what you describe, it seems like you¿re dealing with a scanned PDF document. When working with native (electronic) PDFs, Able2Extract is designed to convert text as text and lines as lines (as they are in the source PDF file). However, scanned or image-based PDFs are simply images that have no information embedded in them. So, this is why our application converts "text" from such files into set of lines, instead of a proper text (and this is the issue you¿ve been experiencing, if we understood you correctly). If you can send in a sample file to us at techsupport@investintech.com, we can take a closer look.

GC

GANGA C.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Time saver

Quick conversion of PDF to Excel.

Pros

I like the software for its ease of use. The interface is simple and straightforward. As a person who gets a lot of PDF reports that need to be analysed, Able2Extract allowed me the get the data into Excel sheets.

Cons

Some PDF files do not convert to Excel cleanly. Information from two columns are entered in one cell. I then have to correct the data manually. It is not often enough to make me look for something else but can be irksome when I am in a hurry.

With the Custom PDF to Excel feature you can avoid having to correct the data manually. From what you describe in your particular case, you would first set up your table structure (rows and columns) as usual using the Custom PDF to Excel mode. Then select the "Split only between words" option from the drop down list in the Columns section from the right hand panel. You can find a walkthrough here: https://www.investintech.com/resources/blog/archives/7993-pdf-to-excel-fix-misplaced-column-content.html In addition, you can save and load Custom Excel templates (via File menu) to instantly set up the same table structure for conversion if you deal with similarly formatted reports often. We hope that helps! Feel free to get in touch with any questions.

DK

DAN K.

Medical Devices, 1,001-5,000 employees

Worthy

Making pdf's editable

Pros

Ease of use. Ongoing improvements. Customer Service.

Cons

Conversions from pdf to Windows and PPT is excellent. Conversion from pdf to Excel is lacking

Thanks for dropping in with that feedback, Dan. If you're having issues with a specific PDF to Excel conversion, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us. Send in an email with the file and a description of your conversion issue to techsupport@investintech.com, if you can. We can get our developers to take a look at it, and see how we can help you get the most out of the PDF to Excel feature. Cheers!

SD

Shaun D.

Mining & Metals, self-employed

Able2extract for geologists

Huge saving in obtaining data from previous exploration, this can involve many years of data and we were able to convert it for use in our analysis.

Pros

ability to convert data and detailed descriptions to Excel and Word with a high success rate We deal with a lot of historic data that we scan to PDF and then convert for our use. To hand type the huge amounts of data would be expensive, by scanning and converting it is relatively simple to do. Able2extract drag and drop and selection capability works really well.

Cons

For our purposes it works very well and havent identified any Cons

MD

Mark D.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Absolutely the best!

Excellent! I already recommend to everyone. I've also shown my wife and 12 yr old daughter how to use it to hep me.

Pros

Better than other similar products I've tried in accurately converting PDFs to Word or Excel. When I've had questions, staff have ALWAYS resolved my issues promptly and professionally, and even converted difficult docs for me!

Cons

Can't think of anything. Really can't think of anything. Nothing coming to mind yet.

DW

Dede W.

Architecture & Planning, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Super helpful program.

Saves me time and aggravation in dealing with PDF's from banks and credit card companies.

Pros

I couldn't imagine doing my tax preparation without this great tool. I simply download my bank statements and credit card year end summaries in pdf form, extract the data to excel, do a little sorting and sifting and voila! data is ready for my accountant.

Cons

There's not much I DON'T like about Able to Extract. In fact I can't think of a thing. It just works!

PDF statements are never fun to deal with, especially during tax season! We're glad to hear Able2Extract Professional is making things a lot easier for you. Thanks for sharing your user-experience, Dede!

HG

Henry G.

A winning solutions

Pros

Great value and utility. I use it almost every day

Cons

Sometimes the product is too powerful for my simple needs

AC

Andrew C.

Security and Investigations, 1-10 employees

Able2Extract - The only thing that IS Able to Extract what you need from a PDF

I have been using Able2Extract for many years now and it consistently performs the job of PDF > Word extraction for indexing and research.

Pros

Able2Extract 12 is easy to use, straight-forward to access and just works.

Cons

Table handling could be a little better at times - but it's still lightyears ahead of the competition.

Thanks for the comments, Andrew. If you have any specific comments on where we can clean up the table handling a bit, please do let us know via our Request A Feature form: https://www.investintech.com/products/desktop/request/ We'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

GH

George H.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

A Lifesaver

See previous sections.

Pros

Originally I was tasked with transcribing a 500+ page document that had been photocopied more than 10 years ago. After converting each page to a pdf, I was able to create and merge a fully accurate, well formatted Word document for further editing. Using Able2Extract Professional cut a month's long task to a couple of days. I have since used the software to create and merge other Excel and Word documents with high success.

Cons

Some diacritical marks did not convert directly, off-square documents presented some conversion problems, but all were much more easily corrected than having to start transcribing from scratch.

RH

Rowland H.

Consumer Services, 10,001+ employees

User Since Version 11

Pros

Been using this software since version 11 and has been critical in my work to convert a PDF into an Excel table for use with my software.

Cons

New version takes some time to get use to. In older version was able to designate pages to convert, but cannot in this newest version.

DM

Debora M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Good product

Great. I like that I can use this when needed.

Pros

Easy to use and I am able to take a scanned document and move to another format such as word or excel quickly.

Cons

More in depth tutorials would be helpful on how to set up a template that you can use often.

Hi Debra - We have a post on our blog that may help. Just search for "custom excel templates" using the blog's search box, and you should be able to find it. We'll look into generating more specific content on that side of things. Thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime, we have help files, blog posts, resource articles, and quick start guides on our site that can help with anything else you may need. They'd be good to check out. We're also available online if you need quick step-by-step directions via chat, email or phone. Don't hesitate to get in touch!

CR

Cherri R.

Love this software!!!

My young niece told me about this software. I was using my scanner, and OCR software to do my jobs. Sometimes I have to download a pdf file, a bank statement, or other doc and put it in Excel so that I can import to my accounting software. This product was a life saver. Saves me so much time. And Easy to use.

Pros

This is so easy to use and so fast - taking a pdf or article, and moving it to Excel or Word. I don't do a lot of serious work that I need this software, but when I need to use it, it saves me time. I LOVE IT!!

Cons

So far , can complain about a thing. It is not expensive and easy to use.

Thanks so much for your awesome comments, Cherri! A big thanks to your neice for the tip off, as well :)

AD

Anne D.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Digital probate

Great.

Pros

My father passed away in July 2020. The solicitors holding the will wanted everything digital. We had 7 years of bank statements that were paper copy only. I was able to scan and transfer all bank statements from 10 bank accounts to excel spreadsheets. It took me 3 months to complete the probate but would have taken a solicitor a lot more time and they would have charged $300 per hour! I saved the family thousands in solicitors fees.

Cons

I still needed to make some adjustments within the spreadsheet.