Able2Extract Professional Reviews

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.09/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Easy to use, inexpensive. Great ability to extract data from PDF to Excel - better than Adobe and other products.
I've been using this for over a decade. It's reliable, it has great features and it's not too expensive.
I've used a lot of PDF conversion / editing tools over the years and Able2Extract is by far the best one. It's very easy to use and understand and their customer service is great.
Getting stuck and coming fatal error reports. Data not capturing when there are images frequently.
In 12, one has more of an ability to apply the same table structure to non-consecutive pages, but it has a bug and does not work well. My worker actually went back to using 11, she says 12 is bad.

Law Practice, self-employed

Ability to access PDF content to create Excel workbooks and Word documents

We create Excel workbooks for gain/loss input in tax software and Word documents for deeds and estate planning work

Pros

Ease of use in creating new documents from PDFs

Cons

Sometimes the software guesses wrong about words so that review is required and sometimes formatting is off. Having a very clean PDF helps

Agreed, having a clean PDF does help. The quality of any PDF conversion relies on what you have in the original document, especially when you¿re dealing with scanned PDFs. However, we¿re always making improvements to the conversion algorithm. So, if you¿re consistently having issues with certain types of content in a PDF (lettering, format, font, etc.), please send in a sample to techsupport@investintech.com. Our developers would be interested in taking a look. Thanks for sharing your experience with Able2Extract.

AV

Alex V.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

My thoughts

I have a long standing exposure to this software. I consider it an essential part of my toolbox. I recognize that the company innovates well across its development and custumer service is sound.

Pros

Features I rely on most is the ability to create consistent templates that can be efficiently be applied across large documents. I enjoy the freedom to skip columns and set collums as a key for row creation.

Cons

Some documents raise error messages and sometimes processes abort at an advanced stage of time input. Sometimes within the same document, certain pages cannot be processed. The product works great when the entire document is aligned properly and has an consistent text overlay. German special characters, maybe in earlier versions where not recognized. A2E is fantastic where it performs well, however, is not yet the only ocr solution required in all instances.

AA

Alina A.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

PDF to excel cnverter

I am very satisfied with Able2Extract as long as there are no technical errors. Otherwise, the fast and efficient exporting of files is a huge timesaver. the accuracy is usually 99.9% of the time accurate.

Pros

the ability to convert large, multipage pdf files to excel makes data importing extremely efficient

Cons

the inability to troubleshoot error messages without having to wait on customer support. i would like a more user-friendly q&a trouble shooting option.

KF

Karen F.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Perfect for anyone looking to extract text from any PDF!

Pros

My favorite feature of them all from Able2Extract Professional was the easy to use text searching feature which made pinpointing a certain word in a PDF document as easy as it can get.

Cons

The price was the biggest issue for me. At $200 the price was just to steep for me.

RD

Ray D.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Effective Document Conversion and Control

I have been able to use the program without worrying about accuracy (Especially Excel exports)

Pros

The program is simple to use and it has a high accuracy functionality. This saves time as the documents are a great replication of the original but the opportunity to edit and even repurpose the original documents is there. When needing such functionality the program has proved to be robust and simple to work with. Able2 Extract does not interfere with you as a user but their team is available and responsive to my needs and or questions. The program development is not static and it is regularly updated whilst maintaining the "look". This diminishes the down time to learn the program at every stage of development. It is compatible with Microsoft.

Cons

Perhaps some trainings on the less known parts of the program?

Mining & Metals, 1,001-5,000 employees

Swiss army knife software

Pros

I like the ability create, edit, modify, or convert many different file types. Especially helpful is the ability to convert scanned PDF files to Excel spreadsheets.

Cons

I sometimes cannot get the print to PDF function to work. When I go to print a document, it shows up in my list of printers as Able2Extract Professional Printer, however when I select it and print, nothing happens.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Able2Extract. We're sorry to hear you're having difficulties with the Printer driver. With the Able2Extract Professional Printer, please try and uninstall Able2Extract from your computer. When that's done, check the Devices and Printers section on your computer to see if the Able2Extract Printer is removed. If not, right click on the printer and select the "Remove device" option. Then delete the Able2Extract folder and all of its contents from your computer's Program Files folder. Finally, reboot the system and re-install the software.

JL

John L.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Best pdf to excel conversion I've found

Pros

The OCR and conversion of pdf to Excel or Word is great, and having a piece of stand-alone software is far superior to an online subscription.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind; it's been really helpful

TA

Tomi A.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Fantastic Tool For Converting PDF To CAD

On a daily basis I get pdf documents from clients, some have fallen out with their architects so we cant get the raw CAD File to annotate or edit. Able2Extract is ABLE to EXTRACT any pdf even scanned ones. Brilliant!

Pros

Its quite intuitive, easy to use and fast

Cons

I cant think of ANYTHING! It does everything I have asked of it and the new version is fast.

Bc

Blair c.

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Wicked Program

Pros

PDF editing The ability to convert PDF's directly into Autocad Text recognition into CADExtracting images to windows

Cons

It took me ages to know about the benefits of the upgrade to the professional version

BQ

Brandon Q.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Great product

Great product, used for 10 years

Pros

The extraction algorithm is second to none. Beautiful column separation, ability to save extraction templates. Very easy.

Cons

Price. The menu icons on my screen are very small.

DT

Dharmesh T.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Its good product and economical too. Signature functionality is not quite good as DocuSign or Adobe but these software are costly too.

Pros

It is a very good product for those who are in the field of Bookkeeping and Accounting as it is convert the most bank accounts.

Cons

Its good for all pdf format to convert to Excel, Word etc. challenge to convert the image file. We tried a lot but most of the time we need to rework on those converted file.

Thanks for your feedback, Dharmesh! We're aware that image rendering isn't perfect for some files. However, our developers are working on it, and there should be some improvements soon. You can always reach out to our team at techsupport@investintech.com with the file and we'll see if we can reduce the post-conversion work for you.

PP

Peter P.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Indespensible Utility

Version 12 is just another great release of a very strong utility. This has been my go-to utility for extracting data from PDFs to load into SQL databases and Excel sheets. I've been a user since 2006 and I can not imagine going back to OCR and manual correction.

Pros

This software is very able to use and for the vast majority of the time, the simple automatic settings work flawlessly. For those other times, the simple interface lets you tweak the settings.

Cons

Version 12 changed the extract to Excel algorithm which added a empty column to one of my financial reports. It didn't change the report other than to have an empty column that must be deleted before I can copy and paste into my financial model. This is not a big deal, just the only con I can think of.

Thanks for the kind and helpful feedback, Peter! With each new version we try to improve automatic conversion results by expanding the range of different kinds of PDF document tables that would give good results. Our algorithm is constructed to work with as many files as possible, and unfortunately, in some cases, this can have a negative effect on some other specific files. If you¿d like to send us the file you have issues with, we can include that in our testing in an effort to correct the problem. Cheers!

ND

Nancy D.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

A Lifesaver

We use this software to program our tax software.

Pros

Easy to use and works so well! It saves us a lot of time.

Cons

My version works well for me but it's hard to maintain because it keeps getting upgraded. I like the version I have and want to be able to move it from computer to computer as I replace my computer but after a few years I have to contact customer support to get my version as the download is no longer available. I would like to have a CD or something so I could continually download the version I originally purchased whenever I get a new computer.

Hey Nancy -You make a great point about moving your version to different computers. We do have the option to purchase a CD for the software. However, please check with customer support first to see if we have your version available. Moreover and even better, is that we can always get you set up with the installation link for your version. If you bookmark it or save it somewhere, you can always access your version instantly. Chat with us online, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get that to you when you need it. Thanks for bringing that up!

GS

Greg S.

Computer Hardware, 11-50 employees

Able2Extract Professional 12 Review

We respond to a lot of Tenders that include lots of forms and tables. Able2 Extract enables us to extract these into word or excel, saving a lot of time

Pros

It is easy to use and saves a lot of time

Cons

Sometimes it struggles with scanned documents

Hi Greg -- Thanks for sharing your user experience with us. To address your issues with scanned documents, you may want to try forcing the conversion by turning the OCR engine on. Go to the Edit menu > OCR Options> click on the "Perform Image-Based Conversion (OCR)" option. Or if what you have is a scanned PDF with a mixture of both digitally generated and scanned/image elements, you can try turning...

jm

james m.

Textiles, 201-500 employees

James Murray

Converting numerous documents to Excel.

Pros

Almost everything, ease of use, being able to manageage output.

Cons

Punctuation, characters, font size, column width could all use improvements but 12 is the best yet.

Thanks for sharing your comments, James. If you have any specific suggestions on how we can improve the conversion of those textual and formatting elements, please do send them to us via our Request A Feature form: https://www.investintech.com/products/desktop/request/ We always welcome feedback from our users!

GC

GANGA C.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Time saver

Quick conversion of PDF to Excel.

Pros

I like the software for its ease of use. The interface is simple and straightforward. As a person who gets a lot of PDF reports that need to be analysed, Able2Extract allowed me the get the data into Excel sheets.

Cons

Some PDF files do not convert to Excel cleanly. Information from two columns are entered in one cell. I then have to correct the data manually. It is not often enough to make me look for something else but can be irksome when I am in a hurry.

With the Custom PDF to Excel feature you can avoid having to correct the data manually. From what you describe in your particular case, you would first set up your table structure (rows and columns) as usual using the Custom PDF to Excel mode. Then select the "Split only between words" option from the drop down list in the Columns section from the right hand panel. You can find a walkthrough here: https://www.investintech.com/resources/blog/archives/7993-pdf-to-excel-fix-misplaced-column-content.html In addition, you can save and load Custom Excel templates (via File menu) to instantly set up the same table structure for conversion if you deal with similarly formatted reports often. We hope that helps! Feel free to get in touch with any questions.

CT

Clement T.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 11-50 employees

overall

I am happy with it until today. Hope I have no chance to replace it!

Pros

no comment. The tool is alright. Get it can work faster

Cons

nothing. Improve and cost less. improve the OCR the size of the words on the tabs can be bigger. Any zoom tools, or size settings?

MD

Mark D.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Absolutely the best!

Excellent! I already recommend to everyone. I've also shown my wife and 12 yr old daughter how to use it to hep me.

Pros

Better than other similar products I've tried in accurately converting PDFs to Word or Excel. When I've had questions, staff have ALWAYS resolved my issues promptly and professionally, and even converted difficult docs for me!

Cons

Can't think of anything. Really can't think of anything. Nothing coming to mind yet.

DW

Dede W.

Architecture & Planning, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Super helpful program.

Saves me time and aggravation in dealing with PDF's from banks and credit card companies.

Pros

I couldn't imagine doing my tax preparation without this great tool. I simply download my bank statements and credit card year end summaries in pdf form, extract the data to excel, do a little sorting and sifting and voila! data is ready for my accountant.

Cons

There's not much I DON'T like about Able to Extract. In fact I can't think of a thing. It just works!

PDF statements are never fun to deal with, especially during tax season! We're glad to hear Able2Extract Professional is making things a lot easier for you. Thanks for sharing your user-experience, Dede!

HG

Henry G.

A winning solutions

Pros

Great value and utility. I use it almost every day

Cons

Sometimes the product is too powerful for my simple needs

DB

Don B.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Able2Extract Professional Version 15

I originally acquired this software several years ago for my personal use but must acknowledge that it has evolved into a very professional tool that would be a useful for any organisation to have.

Pros

I am not a regular user of this professional software but it is a very useful tool that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Cons

Would like to be able to migrate the software to a new computer when such a rare need arises.

Hi Don - Thanks for dropping in with your feedback. You'll be happy to know that with one Able2Extract license, you're able to install the software on two computers. Thus, if you need the program on a new computer, just install the version of the software you purchased onto it, and then use the license PIN you were sent. Give that a try the next time you want to tranfer the software over, and if you need assistance with the right installation link, you can instantly chat with our support agents online. Hope that helps!

Zoran N.

Research, 1-10 employees

Quite useful tool

All in all its good and not so expensive

Pros

It has OCR, and its easy to use. Extracting useful info from pdf and making tables got easy

Cons

Sometimes does not align table rows properly, i have to use manual selection of tables.

Thanks for the comments, Zoran! Yes, the table selection in the custom Excel conversion feature will always give you the opportunity to fix those misalignments, so you don't have to re-convert and clean the rows post-conversion. We're glad you'r finding the software helpful. Cheers!

LB

Laurel B T.

Research, self-employed

Great asset for converting PDF docs into Excel Spreadsheets

It is one of three critical apps I have used for over a decade to perform analyses and prepare end user summaries.

Pros

Clients may not be able to create extracts from critical database tables, but often they can generate PDFs in tabular format containing the details. AbleToExtract has enabled me for many years to cleanly and easily convert lengthy PDFs into Excel tables, perform quality control and minimal editing, and then import the table into Access. This is a must-have tool for anyone who must capture data from a variety of sources and in many formats and condense/combine the details into analysis software.

Cons

N/A - each upgrade has demonstrated significant improvements

CR

Cherri R.

Love this software!!!

My young niece told me about this software. I was using my scanner, and OCR software to do my jobs. Sometimes I have to download a pdf file, a bank statement, or other doc and put it in Excel so that I can import to my accounting software. This product was a life saver. Saves me so much time. And Easy to use.

Pros

This is so easy to use and so fast - taking a pdf or article, and moving it to Excel or Word. I don't do a lot of serious work that I need this software, but when I need to use it, it saves me time. I LOVE IT!!

Cons

So far , can complain about a thing. It is not expensive and easy to use.

Thanks so much for your awesome comments, Cherri! A big thanks to your neice for the tip off, as well :)

AD

Anne D.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Digital probate

Great.

Pros

My father passed away in July 2020. The solicitors holding the will wanted everything digital. We had 7 years of bank statements that were paper copy only. I was able to scan and transfer all bank statements from 10 bank accounts to excel spreadsheets. It took me 3 months to complete the probate but would have taken a solicitor a lot more time and they would have charged $300 per hour! I saved the family thousands in solicitors fees.

Cons

I still needed to make some adjustments within the spreadsheet.