Apache OpenOffice Reviews

Apache OpenOffice

Multilingual open-source office suite

4.44/5 (317 reviews)

Pros
  • The variety of export options is also very nice. The ability to open .doc and .docx files and have them look like they are supposed to is the most essential piece of this software.Teegan F.Read the full review
  • The thing I like best about OpenOffice is that if integrated flawlessly with the more expensive, mainstream software packages.Kelsey B.Read the full review
  • I have Microsoft Office on my laptop and did not want to buy one more license. Having the option to have a free software that does everything that Microsoft Office does, it is a great solution.Michael G.Read the full review
Cons
  • My biggest problem with OpenOffice is that it tries to be Microsoft Office but is so much more awkward and clunky.Rainie O.Read the full review
  • M not sure how you convert frustration to $, but at some point, you're in negative. Bugs get you there immediately.Julian G.Read the full review
  • Sometimes formatting becomes little difficult around pictures. Also Grammar check tool is missing from it.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Sharon Bieganski-Negron

Does everything Excel does

Reviewed 2019-07-08

I use this daily in my business by creating spreadsheets and other forms like timesheets, invoices, purchase orders...

Pros
It's free. I use it to replace Microsoft Excel and I have not run into anything yet that I can't do. However I only use it for time sheets, invoices, purchase orders and estimates with auto calculations.

Cons
Sometimes it can be hard to find out how to do something I want, but with a little perseverance I can usually find the answer.

Barry Boucher

OpenOffice Calc - The Best Features of Excel - Without the Cost!

Reviewed 2019-09-11

Using OpenOffice Calc has been a very good experience overall. Though the interface is a bit different than Microsoft Excel, it is easy to learn, and the price is right.

Pros
File type compatibility, cost (free), advanced features comparable to Excel, ability to save files to Microsoft native formats such as PPT and PPTX.

Cons
Lack of templates compared to Excel, and the interface is bit less "polished" than what you would fine in Microsoft Excel; lack of export cross-support from accounting software

Harmony Bevier

Apache OpenOffice review

Reviewed 2020-06-16

As long as you have a computer that you’re not gonna be switching from Apache open office is pretty decent it’s a real basic computer program where if you just have basic Written documents That is typed out and printed you’re just fine. Is a great starter program for those who do not know how to use Microsoft office business or Microsoft suite.

Pros
The thing I like most about the Apache open office software was that it was really easy to use and was similar to Microsoft office in a lot of ways. The toolbars were self explanatory and it took a few minutes to get familiar with the program in order to use it.

Cons
However what I like least about it is that Tom’s programming is not exactly compatible so if you have to switch computers and Microsoft office is previously installed as a starter program that comes with the computer it does something funky to the files And there’s a certain way that Hass to be saved in order for it to come up on the other program

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Heidi Hanson

Most Recent Version Crashes Constantly Leading to Lost Work

Reviewed 2019-03-19

My overall experience, until it seemingly somehow led to my computer now being unable to start, has actually been great. I've been using OpenOffice for many years and never really had a problem until the last few months, as the crashing has been increasing to be more and more frequent. I really like the user interface and features overall. It's been a wonderful program until just recently.

Pros
I've been using Open Office Writer and Calc for years. I like the features and user interface. Some features are better than features found in Microsoft Word. For example, you can add multiple columns to a table at once; this is not in Word and it's very convenient and helpful feature when working on a table, and I find changing the text from all caps to no caps etc. easier for some reason in Writer although they are almost identical. Almost everything that is in Word is in Writer. Besides the options of the search function, I have never felt like there was a feature that is in Word that I needed and didn't have in Writer. In Writer, the one issue is that Search feature is very difficult to learn to use. If you want to do anything slightly complicated, you have to go learn specifically how to enter it and that can take some time digging online. I have never figured out how to replace two paragraph marks with one, as an example. I do like Microsoft Excel better than Calc because I find it a lot easier to figure out how to write functions using the prompts in Excel than in Calc; I find trying to do more complex functions in Calc extremely frustrating and infuriating.

Cons
This latest version has been crashing a lot. In the last few weeks, I've lost a lot of work. When it crashes, you can lose up to 15 minutes of writing, depending on when it last auto-saved. This has been painful as I've had to re-write some important documents that I had already gotten mostly written. What happened just now is I included a word - a science word - that was not in the dictionary. I right clicked on the word and added it to the dictionary so it would not be underlined as a spelling error. The program hung. I panicked as I had just written a lot so I clicked save. The program froze - and I lost 3 documents. But this time, I could not shut OpenOffice down. Not even by going into Task Manager and clicking End Task would it shut down. I waited probably 45 minutes and then shut down the computer so that it would terminate OpenOffice. Now my laptop won't boot up and goes to a black screen. Now, maybe my laptop has an issue. This could be the case. But, I resent the fact that, whatever issue my laptop may have had, OpenOffice interfaced with it in such a way that now I don't have access to my computer anymore. Now I have to go buy a usb drive and put Windows 10 Installation on it and then troubleshoot my PC. OK, so I don't know if this was OpenOffice's fault - but, it was the only unusual thing that happened before my laptop died. Also, the fact remains that the program has been crashing CONSTANTLY, on both my pcs, for the smallest things. That is very concerning.

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Ed Pearlman

Does everything and for free

Reviewed 2020-06-23

I depend on it daily for writing and spreadsheets and am not disappointed! Cannot beat the free price.

Pros
It does everything -- i mainly use word processing and spreadsheets -- without getting wrapped up in Microsoft's intrusive and expensive software. I can open and save as Word, can open CVS, etc. Easy and effective

Cons
What's not to like, except they leave phone apps to private developers and i do wish i could search and replace tabs and other formatting symbols, but nobody's asked this since Microsoft Works in the 1990s!

ROQUE GONZALEZ

Complete free office suite

Reviewed 2020-02-25

Huge savings not having to pay for an entire software suite for each computer.

Pros
This software is as useful and complete as all other leading paid office suite softwares available.

Cons
Slight compatibility problems sometimes with third party interactive links. For example a program exporting information to excel will not recognize the Open Office version of it.

Jesse Chilcote

Great free alternative to Microsoft products.

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2019-12-12

This is a great free alternative if you can't afford the premium of Microsoft products. I'd be willing to recommend this to anyone that needs to throw together a quick spreadsheet but doesn't want to pay the full price for a product that they'll only use once or twice.

Pros
I recently setup a computer for my grandparents, who previously had a free version of Microsoft Excel that they used to manage a handful of spreadsheets for their home business. After setting up their new computer, they no longer had the free Excel version so we opted for OpenOffice instead. They hardly knew the difference and were even able to use a lot of their previous files from Excel in this product. It's a great free alternative!

Cons
The UI isn't quite as pleasing to the eye as some other alternatives, and there is a slight learning curve since mostly everyone is used to using Excel, but after you get the hang of it there isn't much to complain about.

A very Good Backup Utility to have

Reviewed 2020-06-19

I had Microsoft Office for many years, Due to business slowing down, we had to rely on another software, Apache OpenOffice was just as good a software as I had used.

Pros
I like this software, any documents made from another compatible software, will be able to export it to this cost efficient just as well.

Cons
lack of templates for useful documents to use for implementing a plan. I didn't see much of word art offers

Nicholas Keto

Apache Open Office Business and Individual User Friendly

Reviewed 2020-06-03

We found OpenOffice years ago when we were first starting out and needed an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on Microsoft Excel. We use this daily for in house use and when working on projects for customers. Because so many people use Excel we simply work on OpenOffice and reload to Excel with very few changes necessary. This software saves us time and money and to continue interacting with other businesses seamlessly.

Pros
This software is very user friendly and meets the word processing and spreadsheet needs of our company. We use it daily for word processing, article construction, publication writing, and all of our spreadsheets. To say it is amazing does not do this software justice, I mainly use these two features but know it does far more, such as Drawing, Presentations, Calculator and Illustration. Co-workers use some of those other included features, but my work keeps me occupied otherwise. The word processing and spreadsheet program sections can be converter to Microsoft Office products with minimal effort. Especially nice is that Microsoft Word and Excel products can be opened by OpenOffice. This feature has saved us so much time. If we make changes to those documents they may be saved to either OpenOffice or Microsoft formats. The program is updated frequently at no cost or loss of information.

Cons
There has not been a single complaint from my staff. I personally have a problem printing envelopes, but I think that is because I rarely do so.

Kyle Rossom

A Great MS Office Alternative

Reviewed 2020-08-04

It's a good solid program that I've used for many years for word processing, sheets, and presentations.

Pros
I like the open source concept and having an option to choose a good quality word processor, sheets, etc program that isn't owned by Microsoft or Google. Patches and updates were easy to install.

Cons
It would have been useful to be able to connect to an email platform like it's paid competitors in order to easy insert files, etc.

Sharon Ney

If you can't afford MS Office...

Reviewed 2019-08-01

I've used it on numerous occasions to rescue and reformat corrupted files (particularly in its Word version), earning major kudos from students and clients in full panic mode that the CV or project they've put their heart into has been lost forever. Not so! Open Office rescued it. It loads quickly, can save in many different formats (more than MS Office) and is more adaptable. The portable copy has proved a lifesaver when out and about. I can plug it into any Windows computer and get to work immediately.

Pros
Open Office reminds me of the old MS Office, with a similar layout and ease of use. It's not as big a resource hog as MS Office and for basic use it's excellent. Being free certainly doesn't hurt! While I do have MS Office as well, I write first drafts in Open Office and then copy it across. Seeing the subtly different layout allows me to see errors that I missed before and since Open Office can be got as a portable app, I can take it anywhere on a memory stick, plug it in and get going. It saves to MS Office formats as well as its own proprietary ones, and you can set it to default to MS Office format if you want. It can often open files MS Office struggles with, allowing you to rescue corrupted documents and put them back into a format MS Office can read, so even if you have the expensive software having this as a backup is worth it for when things go wrong.

Cons
Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office and sometimes you want to do something that in MS Office would be a breeze (like inserting page numbers) and in Open Office is a little more tricky, but there are tons of searchable help files and advice pages which means you can usually find a way.

Amit Gupta

Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft

Reviewed 2019-05-05

Apache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.

Pros
I liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.

Cons
I am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.

Ivis Coromoto Hernandez Rodriguez

I use it in my office every work day to write information or do calculations among other things

Reviewed 2018-05-02

There are many benefits among which we can mention that it is a free software that can be downloaded directly from the Internet, it can be installed in other operating systems that are not Linux, it takes few resources from the team in terms of memory and space in disk unlike other programs that exist in the market, it is easily installed and has the same structure as Microsoft Office.

Pros
I installed it on my home computer when I started using it to learn it and I was amazed that it was too fast to run, since this computer has very low performance and when loading other similar applications it takes a long time. What I like the most is that you do not need a large capacity to run in addition to being able to download it for free because it is not licensed.

Cons
What I do not like is that it does not have all the advantages of functionality as far as tools are concerned and that it is not 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, which is a limitation when exchanging information between both programs. For example, with open office calc and excel lack many tools so that office calc is a hundred percent compatible with the case of macros that are made in excel. If a document made with macros in Microsoft excel is tried to load in open office would not be compatible.

Ross Hebden

A decent alternative to Microsoft if required

Reviewed 2019-02-07

I like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.

Pros
The thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice aside from the price. Nowadays it still doesn't look great (it's better though!) but it's such an improved experience in terms of the rest of those issues. For example Writer does everything most will want from Word and I actually prefer the way that it handles pasting images and formatting tables. There are now legitimate reasons to choose OpenOffice in terms of the programs on offer, and if opensource is appealing then I'd recommend it as the default work-suite.

Cons
OpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

I Love OpenOffice!

Reviewed 2019-08-24

Pros
I've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.

Cons
I don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.

Paul Zwagerman

Fast, easy and free* office suite

Reviewed 2019-09-15

Since the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!

Pros
It does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!

Cons
Its not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.

Amanda Navas Faría

A good budget option for Office utilities

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-12-08

It has been a lifesaver when other options are not at hand (no internet, or no budget to spend on fancier programs). I really like being able to search for templates online, and it was really helpful when making CVs that looked really professional.

Pros
OpenOffice is a free open-source software that can be installed and used in just minutes. Its similarities to other softwares make it easy for users to adapt and learn how to use it quickly, so it becomes a great otion for low-budget situations. It has a suite of programs with different functionalities, including a word processor, sheets and database makers, presentation and slides software, even a drawing program. All of these are fairly standard and don't require intensive learning to start using, which is a great perk. A feature I like about OpenOffice is that you can create custom templates, and many people offer their own templates online for other users to check and modify, which makes it easy to start new projects based on what others have built before. It is also relatively easy to save the files in formats that can be opened in other programs, so that you can send them to colleagues who may not have OpenOffice in a way that they can still use and modify them.

Cons
The visual style of the programs can seem a bit crude, and sometimes it can bug out or take really long times to load. It can also have some formatting problems when taken to other applications (tables or figures might move around and it can be difficult to correct for these modifications in other softwares).

Rafael Becemberg

It is the best option, in terms of spreadsheets, that I have used as an alternative to excel.

Reviewed 2018-03-16

The biggest benefit that OpenOffice has brought me is associated with its wide compatibility with different operating systems (Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.), unlike other similar programs (like Microsoft), designed only to operate with only one type of operating system. That, added to the fact that it is free, makes its handling and installation in a good number of PC, very versatile.

Pros
Both in the case of OpenOffice and excel, I have notified the developers very specific problems with which I have found. In the case of OpenOffice the developers once they verified with the information that I sent, that the problem really existed, not only made the necessary adjustments to the program, but they contacted me back thanks for my contribution. In the case of Microsoft, that has never happened and when I have seen new versions I have verified that the problem I reported is still valid. It consumes far less machine resources than Microsoft software. (approximately half according to my estimates).

Cons
Accepting the reality that most of the users (including my person) use mostly Microsoft software, it is necessary a period of adaptation to use the program, since the buttons, functions and general structure are presented with menus sometimes quite different from the excel, although we are fair: whenever you change the program, or version thereof, you need a period of adaptation to use it again efficiently. For me it is more important the fact that it "hangs up" from time to time, especially when you import and modify a document from Office. I have not asked why it happens, because it could be that it was even done on purpose, simply so that each time you use less the program of the competition, a strategy that is otherwise valid.

Christopher Brown

Hands-Down the Best Productivity Software

Reviewed 2019-09-07

I've used Apache OpenOffice for years. I used it when I was a college student until now at my current career. This year actually makes it 5 years that I've used Apache OpenOffice. Happy anniversary!

Pros
The best thing about Apache OpenOffice is that it's free, not to mention, that it offers the same office software that it's competitor Microsoft Office does. This software has every feature that you could think of and is so easy to use. I know that it may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I even when downloading this software, it is so fast to download and you are able to select which Apache software to download onto your computer, even if it's just one, for example, OpenOffice Calc.

Cons
There's really nothing that I dislike about this software. I would have to sit and really think and just force something. This software is flawless.

Anonymous

Small business or penny-pinching private user, the best affordable alternative to Microsoft Office.

Reviewed 2018-10-26

Pros
For those that love Microsoft Office and its indispensable status as the required software suite for business, but hate having to pay an outrageous price tag. I've been using OpenOffice since back when it was OpenOffice.org, and it was and still is mind blowing how a software suite that basically did nearly everything Microsoft Office could do could also be free of charge.

Cons
Compatibility issues are the biggest concern. If you originally created a document in Microsoft Word or Excel and then try to open it in the equivalent software within OpenOffice, you may get a red flag that not everything will transfer correctly. Likewise, those that are used to Microsoft Office and its features may occasionally find that OpenOffice doesn't do EVERYTHING Microsoft Office does, at least for now. For instance, the ability to freeze panes in Excel was a useful feature that OpenOffice Writer didn't replicate until later on.

Anonymous

Awesome! The same as Microsoft Products!

Reviewed 2018-09-26

I use this software just like I would Microsoft to help write letters collect data and keep me accountable. This software has been a huge help, especially when I did not have the budget for Microsoft and have been true to open office ever since.

Pros
Need I say more, this is by far the best product out there. I started using open office several years ago when I didn't have the budget for Microsoft office, excel, word, etc. This software is free and is identical to Microsoft. The best part is when you are ready to save it gives you an option that converts it to a Microsoft formst so it can be opened anywhere on any computer. This is definitely by far an amazing program that allows you to accomplish so much from writing letters, to data sheets like excel, to creating presentations. It does pretty much the same thing but all for free, how can you ask for more?

Cons
There really is no cons to this program, as it does so much for a free application.

Best Microsoft Office Word and PowerPoint, Open Source Alternative

Reviewed 2018-09-06

The product is easy to use, economical and a great resource for a company short on immediate funds for a paid license(s) to similar software.

Pros
The price for OpenOffice is unbeatable at free. My first favorite component of this suite is OpenOffice Writer. It carries enough features to enable a user to write and maintain an immense document, such as a novel, easily. In order to make an OpenOffice Writer document compatible with Word, simply save the .odt file as .doc. OpenOffice Impress is my second favorite software in the bundle and can be used to create very nice presentations. It is also a bit easier for a tech newbie to work with vs PowerPoint.

Cons
OpenOffice Math has a con. Simply because it is not something I would need or use often. Saying this, if I did need to use it rarely, it is a bit time consuming to justify learning for a use greater than once or twice use every two - three years.

Jean McCormack

Apache OpenOffice beats Microsoft

Reviewed 2019-11-20

I can have a new member up and running with no cost, and minimal training.

Pros
We chose Apache because of the price, zero. We kept using it because it performs across all platforms and gives us the functionality we were accustomed to with Microsoft.

Cons
Like most everything. Being a well versed Microsoft user, I knew which functions were possible. Sometimes had to execute it differently. So, maybe a slight learning curve.

Eduin Contreras

It is a good program that is very manageable in data processing, in addition to being a free option.

Reviewed 2018-04-13

Pros
The best thing about the OpenOffice program is that it can be downloaded and used completely free of charge without paying licenses, it is released under a license. This means that any commercial, educational, and public administration project can be installed on as many computers as possible. since you can make copies and distribute them without any expense, it is easy to install and very manageable, OpenOffice is completely accessible for beginners, it is simpler than updating to Microsoft Office 2007. Since OpenOffice is a unique and complete software program, everything works articulately between the different applications. Even the help system is the same for everything. You do not need to know which application has been used to create a document, it will always be used correctly. So simple that with a single download from the Internet or installing it from a CD you will have a multipurpose tool in your home or office.

Cons
It can be said that he lost the rhythm of the updates, and no progress has been seen in his evolution, likewise he makes greater use of memory and CPU since it is heavier and wider than other programs and this has the consequence that work slower.

Anonymous

The proof that Opensource can be also great

Reviewed 2019-11-10

OpenOffice has replaced the big proprietary suite that most Windows users were forced to use and pay. OpenOffice is a versatile, simple, light and professional alternative for offices and single users alike.

Pros
OpenOffice is drop-dead simple, light and efficient. Long are gone the days where I had to use expensive suites from proprietary software. As soon as I installed the OpenOffice suite I knew I wasn't coming back. To start with the software is as easy as to download the package installer from their site, run it and you will be done in no time. No spyware and sketchy offers, no subscriptions, just the tools you need. OpenOffice isn't as resource intensive as it's major competitor, so you can run it in machines with less powerful setups and still it will load quickly. I appreciate that Apache has made such a contribution, a simple, easy to use and fully compatible software for free.

Cons
Often I have to play a bit with the .csv encoding screen to see the file properly, but it's not really a big issue. It's often annoying the prompt window asking you to save in ".ods" format instead of the default .doc that it's better known, easier to identify and best if you are collaborating with people that use different tools.