Apache OpenOffice Logo

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.47/10

Reviews by rating

I found OpenOffice and was very happy to see that it was free and did pretty much all the things I needed it to do. I liked that it never crashed on me at all, and did what I needed it to.
Being a free office suit and supportive to all popular office file formats, it is the best for documents, spreadsheets, slides and database.
It has some issues with formatting and that can be a pain in the butt especially if you are used to MS Word. It's missing email and calendar applications.
Having been a Microsoft Office user for so long there were some functions that were not available on this software and I really missed having them.
I also dislike it when I format a document in OpenOffice, the formatting doesn't translate to Microfsoft Word very well. I've often had to reformat OpenOffice documents to line up correctly in Word.

MN

Mark N.

Executive Director

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Needed Free Office Software for Nonprofit - OpenOffice was great for my needs for years

Transcript

Mark: Hi, my name is Mark and I'm the executive director of a nonprofit that does video production for...

Stefano D.

Ceo

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Awesome software

Transcript

Stefano D.: I'm Stefano. I'm a financial analyst, I give five stars to Apache OpenOffice, and for more...

Halimatun Z.

Accounting, 1,001-5,000 employees

Free office suite

Pros

It is free and open-source, and it can accomplish some of the duties that other sophisticated software in its field can. Still, if you want stability and better performance, I would recommend using something else. I primarily use these for document creation and editor. However, it has more features in it. The document processing and spreadsheet modules can be easily converted to Microsoft Office products. OpenOffice can read Microsoft Word and Excel documents, which is very convenient. We've saved a lot of time because of this function.

Cons

You'll mostly run into issues on particular platforms, which might lead you to loose or disrupt your work. Other concerns with working in an open workplace might also influence your coworkers. To some, it may be adaptive, while to others, it may be a complete nightmare. If you are accustomed to Microsoft Office, don't expect to be able to transition simply; in fact, switching can be a significant challenge.

TB

Timothy B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Free AND compatible

It is a great free alternative to Office and is good if you need to install on lots of machines.

Pros

It is able to be used to view and modify existing .doc files and .xml files. It is completely free and is easy to download use and distribute.

Cons

It is a pretty boring visual layout and the latest office product file formats do not always work.You must save the files locally.

JG

Julian G.

Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees

You get what you pay for

Per the pros and cons, and having stayed faithfully with OO over time, I came to the conclusion last week that it is cheaper to buy an Office suite that works well than to struggle with this free offering that doesn't. I repeat that I appreciate enormously the effort of the volunteers who sincerely create a large body of working, quality code, and who support it through the forums, but my unfortunate...

Pros

It's free. It covers a lot of the basic day-to-day. Kudos and thanks to the volunteers who created and support this software.

Cons

It has a number of usability issues. It has some downright bugs. The cost (free) is more than offset by the time and frustration figuring out, or working around, the issues. It's cheaper to buy a proper product (sorry team, you guys do a great job, but it actually ends up costing).

LM

Luis M.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Does what MS Office does, free

It does the job and it's free, what more can you say?

Pros

Apache OpenOffice is a replacement for Microsoft Office that is free. It has a suite of apps replacing Word, Excel, and more. It has the majority of features as well.

Cons

The equivalent to Word, Writer, can't save in .docx format, only .doc. Not a terrible problem but annoying.

RG

ROQUE G.

Retail, self-employed

Complete free office suite

Huge savings not having to pay for an entire software suite for each computer.

Pros

This software is as useful and complete as all other leading paid office suite softwares available.

Cons

Slight compatibility problems sometimes with third party interactive links. For example a program exporting information to excel will not recognize the Open Office version of it.

NG

Nakita G.

Retail, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

Could be better

Pros

The thing I like most about this software is its free to use. It doesn't require you to purchase the product after a certain amount of days.

Cons

The application could be improved or updated. Last time I used the product it kept closing or not responding and when I would go to pull it back up and load my document, it would close again.

VJ

Viktoria J.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

An okay free office suite

We used only Writer and Calc, and they were an okay substitution for Word and Excel. That said, they were never as responsive and as usable. It often felt like it was a cheap substitute rather than its own thing. To be fair, it did the basics well.

Pros

It does a lot for absolutely free. That is the biggest advantage of OpenOffice over Microsoft office.

Cons

The interface is dated and feels sluggish. I was definitely not a fan and the interface is what made me switch to a paid product later on.

Amit G.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft

Apache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.

Pros

I liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.

Cons

I am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.

Mohammad Iqbal K.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

The best free office suite

My overall experience of using Apache OpenOffice was great. It saves license cost. It is fast. I am having more benefit by using operating system of my choice.

Pros

Apache Open office is a free and powerful alternative to all popular office suites. It offers all basic and advance possibilities which other office suites are offering. It is available for all popular operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, etc. It is comparatively small in size. It is fast to run. It supports all popular file formats.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is no support for DOCx, XLSx and PPTx file formats.

TB

Tyler B.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Office But Free

Pros

Microsoft and Apache products are very similar overall. If you are able to work one you can work the other. And if you have never used either, both are quite simple to learn. Apache is 99% the same and can get all the same jobs done for none of the cost. Apache will even let you save in the formats that work with the other software out there. No internet connection, no problem with apache.. Its yours

Cons

For students, i do not believe it has a voice-over function and I have heard some horror stories overall about customer service-related issues. Knock on wood, I have not had to deal with that.

HP

Hugh P.

Financial Services, self-employed

OpenOffice Calc is Very Unstable. Libreoffice never Crashes

Pros

I reiterate what all the other reviews say about OpenOffice. it is an amazing piece of software and it is open source and free I will never use word againThe only problem I have is that open Office is unstable. I used it on a daily basis for years up until a year ago and OpenOffice usually crashed two or three times a day losing my work.However there is an easy fix. A year ago I switched from OpenOffice...

Cons

The only problem I have is that open Office is unstable. I used it on a daily basis for years up until a year ago and OpenOffice usually crashed two or three times a day losing my work.However there is an easy fix. A year ago I switched from OpenOffice to LibreOffice and I never looked back. LibreOffice is great. LibreOffice is a forked version of OpenOffice but is much more stable. I have been using LibreOffice calc for over a year and never had a crash and I have some huge spreadsheets that I develop.

AS

Amy S.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Apache OpenOffice, you're my main squeeze.

Absolutely phenomenal software. I don't know where I'd be without it. It is not at all dramatic to admit this software changed my life.

Pros

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've been using (did I say using? I mean in love with) this software for over 12 years. You can create ANYTHING with it. I've landed jobs from creating resumes with this app, wowed fellow creators with artistic documents, made myself calendars and fitness goals lists with all the fancy fonts and borders, and even one classy and sassy resignation letter to a former employer of questionable morals. This software has been the backbone of my progress for so long. Tons of features, easy to navigate, and doesn't slow down your system. Standing Ovation.

Cons

The word con has no place with OpenOffice. This software is incredible. I do wish it would not let microsoft word open up my unfinished-and-saved-for-later documents, which I know is just an issue with my PC and not Open Office. Still, it would be great to see it push Microsoft out of the way just once and make it known which one I'm loyal to.

Ross H.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

A decent alternative to Microsoft if required

I like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.

Pros

The thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice...

Cons

OpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)

PZ

Paul Z.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Fast, easy and free* office suite

Since the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!

Pros

It does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!

Cons

Its not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.

Amanda N.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Used other for 1-2 years

A good budget option for Office utilities

It has been a lifesaver when other options are not at hand (no internet, or no budget to spend on fancier programs). I really like being able to search for templates online, and it was really helpful when making CVs that looked really professional.

Pros

OpenOffice is a free open-source software that can be installed and used in just minutes. Its similarities to other softwares make it easy for users to adapt and learn how to use it quickly, so it becomes a great otion for low-budget situations. It has a suite of programs with different functionalities, including a word processor, sheets and database makers, presentation and slides software, even a...

Cons

The visual style of the programs can seem a bit crude, and sometimes it can bug out or take really long times to load. It can also have some formatting problems when taken to other applications (tables or figures might move around and it can be difficult to correct for these modifications in other softwares).

Real Estate, self-employed

Amazing Open-Source Office Suite

Pros

OpenOffice is free and does almost everything that expensive softwares do. It works seamlessly to create and edit anything that Microsoft products can do and doesn't have any compatibility trouble in transferring documents or spreadsheets into Google Drive or opening them with Apple office suite products.

Cons

The design is clunky and sometimes has some compatibility issues with some externally-created Microsoft products.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Awesome! The same as Microsoft Products!

I use this software just like I would Microsoft to help write letters collect data and keep me accountable. This software has been a huge help, especially when I did not have the budget for Microsoft and have been true to open office ever since.

Pros

Need I say more, this is by far the best product out there. I started using open office several years ago when I didn't have the budget for Microsoft office, excel, word, etc. This software is free and is identical to Microsoft. The best part is when you are ready to save it gives you an option that converts it to a Microsoft formst so it can be opened anywhere on any computer. This is definitely by far an amazing program that allows you to accomplish so much from writing letters, to data sheets like excel, to creating presentations. It does pretty much the same thing but all for free, how can you ask for more?

Cons

There really is no cons to this program, as it does so much for a free application.

AD

Alessia D.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

An Open Source tool for the office

It allows me to work on personal and work projects without having to buy professional software, but I'm not sacrificing quality and I can share my docs everywhere without having to worry I'll lose my work.

Pros

I use it for personal and work reasons and I find it very intuitive and easy to use. The thing I like the most is the fact that you can easily convert your doc into PDFs or other formats, or put it into a Google Sheet, and you won't lose a single word or have to rewrite it.

Cons

I find the synonym suggestions and grammar corrections weak; sometimes the tool doesn't recognize a word that exists. And sometimes I'm looking for some synonym suggestions and there aren't, so I have to look elsewhere.

Abdul Wahab K.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Apache Open Office is best free office suite

I am saving on licensing cost by using free office suite by Apache with a freedom to choose any operating system of my choice.

Pros

Most importantly, it's free and opensource. It is very easy to use and to switch from other office suite. It is available to use on various operating systems. I got freedom to choose any operating system of my choice for my daily office works. It consumes low disk space in comparison to other similar software. No licensing required. Support almost all popular file formats.

Cons

In my throughout experience of using Apache Open Office, I didn't experienced any issue except file format support for new Microsoft Office file formats like DOCx, XLSx and PPTx.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

The proof that Opensource can be also great

OpenOffice has replaced the big proprietary suite that most Windows users were forced to use and pay. OpenOffice is a versatile, simple, light and professional alternative for offices and single users alike.

Pros

OpenOffice is drop-dead simple, light and efficient. Long are gone the days where I had to use expensive suites from proprietary software. As soon as I installed the OpenOffice suite I knew I wasn't coming back. To start with the software is as easy as to download the package installer from their site, run it and you will be done in no time. No spyware and sketchy offers, no subscriptions, just the tools you need. OpenOffice isn't as resource intensive as it's major competitor, so you can run it in machines with less powerful setups and still it will load quickly. I appreciate that Apache has made such a contribution, a simple, easy to use and fully compatible software for free.

Cons

Often I have to play a bit with the .csv encoding screen to see the file properly, but it's not really a big issue. It's often annoying the prompt window asking you to save in ".ods" format instead of the default .doc that it's better known, easier to identify and best if you are collaborating with people that use different tools.

NN

Nancy N.

E-Learning, self-employed

Perfect alternative for Microsoft Office

Pros

Since discovering OpenOffice I never needed to renew my Microsoft Office. The key features I needed like PowerPoint and Publisher work perfectly with OpenOffice's alternatives!

Cons

Sometimes opening formatted Word documents can require manual re-aligning. But it's not a deal-breaker.

NP

Nico P.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Never used any software again

It's the only software i use. I completely turned away from Microsoft's Products and even uninstalled all extensions thereof. I only use OpenOffice and would never switch to another provider.

Pros

For an completely free, open-source software, it is actually incredible how effective OpenOffice is. It's very fast, supports virtually any type of document you can imagine and exports into any formats you need, including Microsoft's Word Files, HTML, PDF, etc.

Cons

I only have one bad experience. There was an security issue a couple years ago and it took actually quite some time until a update was available. Since then this has never happened again, but it still lies in my head.

Thilina D.

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

A Decent Alternative for your Office need

Pros

Apache Openoffice is Free, that's the best part about it. You don't need to concern yourself with licensing

Cons

Its User Interface is a bit lackluster If you are coming from more popular office products. Takes time to get used to it

Matthew A.

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

My Go-To Office Suite at Home

I selected 10 on the "likely to recommend" scale because I have already recommended this amazing, free resource to dozens of people.

Pros

1. It's free. 2. It does basically everything MS Office can, for free. 3. Each new iteration becomes more user-friendly and incorporates greater options and functionality, for free. 4. The software is open-source, contributing to a more collaborative and equitable internet... for Free.

Cons

OO can be somewhat clunkier than Office, especially in trying to use more advanced functions in some of the sub-apps, and some advanced functions that MS products have just are not there (but that's very few!). I also dislike that everyone who struggles to turn out nice documents in WordPad doesn't already know about OpenOffice.

Nathaly B.

I use it in all aspects related to my work, it is easy to use, effective and free

I have done very complex works in an easy way, I have had very colorful and efficient presentations, as well as, I have done many graphics in Calc, when I have had doubts I have received technical support and I have expanded my opportunities by downloading the extensions, it is an office suite very complete and wonderful

Pros

It allows me to fulfill my work tasks efficiently and with good appearance, it exports my PDF documents very easily, it has many work templates, it does not take up much space on my hard drive, it has many extensions that I can download when I need it and It is always in constant update and I do not have to pay the license

Cons

It occupies a lot of RAM so it was a bit slow, the compatibility of text files with respect to Microsoft Word shows weaknesses