Apache OpenOffice

Multilingual open-source office suite

Apache OpenOffice Reviews

Pros

Being a free office suit and supportive to all popular office file formats, it is the best for documents, spreadsheets, slides and database.

Waqar A.

The thing I like best about OpenOffice is that if integrated flawlessly with the more expensive, mainstream software packages.

Kelsey B.

I found OpenOffice and was very happy to see that it was free and did pretty much all the things I needed it to do. I liked that it never crashed on me at all, and did what I needed it to.

Mark N.

Cons

It has some issues with formatting and that can be a pain in the butt especially if you are used to MS Word. It's missing email and calendar applications.

Marko P.

Having been a Microsoft Office user for so long there were some functions that were not available on this software and I really missed having them.

Nikki O.

I also dislike it when I format a document in OpenOffice, the formatting doesn't translate to Microfsoft Word very well. I've often had to reformat OpenOffice documents to line up correctly in Word.

Ronald W.

Good alternative to the Microsoft products

Transcript

Tigran K.: Hi, my name is Tigran. I work in the financial industry as a quantitative analyst in a hedge...

Best Office Software

Very reliable. Always works with any document from any office software. You will always be able to open a document from your colleague.

Pros

This is by far the best free office software. Being open source, it is built by passionate individuals who all want the same thing. No bloatware, no malware. Pure productivity goodness!

Cons

Sometimes feels a little unrefined compared to commercial options. The design is a little dated too.

Excellent MS Office Alternative - Minus Some Bells and Whistles

OpenOffice is hands down my favorite office application suite. Yes, it isn't the prettiest or the most feature-rich, but it offers everything probably 95% of today's workforce would need, minus real-time editing collaboration.

Pros

OpenOffice is excellent for a free and open-source office application suite. It offers all the essential core functionality of MS Office for the low low price of absolutely free! When I was a student and began my career I was using OpenOffice exclusively. If offers excellent capabilities right out of the box and is available even on Linux (my preferred operating system).

Cons

The lack of an online collaboration feature really is the only reason I had to switch away from this with my company. It's a much-needed feature, especially at this time, with everyone working remotely.

Free and reliable office suite with good set of features

OpenOffice is a very good application for small to medium companies. Although it lacks few features overall the experience is great. It works very well and smooth without any lags even on low end pc.

Pros

First of all, it is free. It is the best free office suite application that is available in the market. It has documents, slides, sheets compatibility. It runs smoothly even on low end PC. It consumes very less memory and ram making it more efficient and quicker to load. Online community is great and wide to get any support. Deploying the software is easy and user friendly. It great to run test script using its Calc app.

Cons

No browser support, we have to download application in order to use. Sometimes the format gets messed up when we open files that are edited on other office apps like Microsoft Office. It doesnt support few file formats like docs. UI looks outdated.

Most Recent Version Crashes Constantly Leading to Lost Work

My overall experience, until it seemingly somehow led to my computer now being unable to start, has actually been great. I've been using OpenOffice for many years and never really had a problem until the last few months, as the crashing has been increasing to be more and more frequent. I really like the user interface and features overall. It's been a wonderful program until just recently.

Pros

I've been using Open Office Writer and Calc for years. I like the features and user interface. Some features are better than features found in Microsoft Word. For example, you can add multiple columns to a table at once; this is not in Word and it's very convenient and helpful feature when working on a table, and I find changing the text from all caps to no caps etc. easier for some reason in Writer...

Cons

This latest version has been crashing a lot. In the last few weeks, I've lost a lot of work. When it crashes, you can lose up to 15 minutes of writing, depending on when it last auto-saved. This has been painful as I've had to re-write some important documents that I had already gotten mostly written. What happened just now is I included a word - a science word - that was not in the dictionary. I right...

A great alternative

I switched from MS Office to OpenOffice and I must admit, I feel no difference. It is a good thing, though, as Microsoft Office is rather expensive, while OpenOffice is completely free! I would expect a significant quality drop between the two, but I have not found one. I can only recommend everyone to switch over as it has saved me hundreds of dollars so far.

Pros

It is good at doing what it advertises. It is a full on suite of programs on par with the mainstream alternatives. I was especially surprised with how easy it was to switch from Microsoft products to OpenOffice and how little difficulty there was.

Cons

Sometimes it lags a bit. It feels like it has some optimization issues. Larger actions make my computer lag more than it ever happened with MS Office suite. I also noticed some issues with layouts and formatting - it just won't behave as I would expect it to.

Alternative to Microsoft office

I have had OpenOffice freeze in mid of work and the only way to solve the issue was to restart the pc. you can as well go to save and have the entire application shutdown automatically.

Pros

Free and open-source, it can do some of the tasks that are done by other professional software in its category but I would recommend choosing another if you want reliability and better performance.

Cons

Mostly on certain systems, you will encounter bugs that can cause you to lose or interrupt your work. The open office has other issues that can as well affect those you work with. It could be adaptable to some and absolute a nightmare to others. If you are familiar with Microsoft office don't think you will be able to use open office easily matter of fact it can be a very big problem to switch.

Does what MS Office does, free

It does the job and it's free, what more can you say?

Pros

Apache OpenOffice is a replacement for Microsoft Office that is free. It has a suite of apps replacing Word, Excel, and more. It has the majority of features as well.

Cons

The equivalent to Word, Writer, can't save in .docx format, only .doc. Not a terrible problem but annoying.

Free Full Office Solution- We Donated

Overall we had a good experience. It's a comprehensive program. I prefer OpenOffice over MS office.

Pros

OpenOffice is a versatile Office Suit, less complicated, light, and professional. The setup is done in no time and it loads quickly. Helpful for beginners.

Cons

The interface is not that unique but somehow it doesn't matter. The search option isn't that great. Not easy to recover corrupted files.

A very Good Backup Utility to have

I had Microsoft Office for many years, Due to business slowing down, we had to rely on another software, Apache OpenOffice was just as good a software as I had used.

Pros

I like this software, any documents made from another compatible software, will be able to export it to this cost efficient just as well.

Cons

lack of templates for useful documents to use for implementing a plan. I didn't see much of word art offers

OpenOffice Review

My overall experience with Apache OpenOffice is average because it allows me to easily write a document, create a spreadsheet, or a presentation but it has limited capability and the formatting does not work well with other office products. There are other free available offices that are much better than OpenOffice.

Pros

What I like most about the software is that it is inexpensive and the source code is available for me to modify to my liking. I like it that the software is able to save in many different formats that can be open on another computer using a different type of office.

Cons

What I like least about the software is the interface, the formatting and the navigation. The interface is not very attractive looking. The formatting changes if I saved a document and opened it in a different office, and the navigation is more difficult compared to products like Microsoft Office.

Apache Open Office Business and Individual User Friendly

We found OpenOffice years ago when we were first starting out and needed an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on Microsoft Excel. We use this daily for in house use and when working on projects for customers. Because so many people use Excel we simply work on OpenOffice and reload to Excel with very few changes necessary. This software saves us time and money and to continue interacting with other businesses seamlessly.

Pros

This software is very user friendly and meets the word processing and spreadsheet needs of our company. We use it daily for word processing, article construction, publication writing, and all of our spreadsheets. To say it is amazing does not do this software justice, I mainly use these two features but know it does far more, such as Drawing, Presentations, Calculator and Illustration. Co-workers...

Cons

There has not been a single complaint from my staff. I personally have a problem printing envelopes, but I think that is because I rarely do so.

If you can't afford MS Office...

I've used it on numerous occasions to rescue and reformat corrupted files (particularly in its Word version), earning major kudos from students and clients in full panic mode that the CV or project they've put their heart into has been lost forever. Not so! Open Office rescued it. It loads quickly, can save in many different formats (more than MS Office) and is more adaptable. The portable copy has proved a lifesaver when out and about. I can plug it into any Windows computer and get to work immediately.

Pros

Open Office reminds me of the old MS Office, with a similar layout and ease of use. It's not as big a resource hog as MS Office and for basic use it's excellent. Being free certainly doesn't hurt! While I do have MS Office as well, I write first drafts in Open Office and then copy it across. Seeing the subtly different layout allows me to see errors that I missed before and since Open Office can be...

Cons

Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office and sometimes you want to do something that in MS Office would be a breeze (like inserting page numbers) and in Open Office is a little more tricky, but there are tons of searchable help files and advice pages which means you can usually find a way.

Novels in Open Office

I write good business letters; often for other people; sometimes a printed letter gets more attention than an email. The envelopes, formatted and printed in Open Office, are proper business envelopes. At a time when we are working more from home more, Open Office is a sensible alternative to expensive word processing, and spreadsheet programs. I do my company books with an Open Office spreadsheet that I designed myself. It calculates income, expenses, sales and income taxes etc. as I go. When it's time to do taxes, the numbers are all there at the bottom.

Pros

I use Open Office for at least three hours every day—usually six. It is my go to word processor. I've written two novels and a collection of short stories with it. I was easily able to format and style the layout for the paperback and eBook files, so they conformed perfectly to Amazon's publishing requirements. Most folks don't know this is possible so they farm it out and pay dearly. I didn't rate the support category above because I have never had to use it. Open Office works fine all the time. It's totally reliable and at a cost 100% less than MS Word.

Cons

Figuring out how to do headers and footers on alternating pages was a bit of a brain buster, but I got it. I'm sure it could be more intuitive.

If you don't need all the bells and whistles, go for this

Pros

I remember coming across OpenOffice several years ago and thought I would give it a try as it seemed a valuable "agnostic" solution that worked on Mac, PC, and Linux machines alike and it was free to download, install and use. Generally, what I liked about OpenOffice was the fact that it provided most of the main features of the various Word, Excel, etc. True, the user interface may not have been as good as that of such tools but, overall, OpenOffice met its goals of letting users leverage the core features needed for writing, creating tables, etc. I would say that if you don't need advanced features but mainly the basics, OpenOffice could be the one "digital office tool" for you.

Cons

There are a few things I am not a fan of when it comes to OpenOffice. The firsts one is the fact that, unlike some of the other tools, it doesn't have a mobile app. This means that you will always be dependent on working from your computer, always. Next is the fact that it does come with a "ceiling" meaning that you might find yourself in need of something else at some point in the future because you may feel as if you have outgrown OpenOffice as a platform. Also, keep in mind that it has been discontinued so you may find versions still available for you to use but may be outdated.

Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft

Apache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.

Pros

I liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.

Cons

I am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.

I use it in my office every work day to write information or do calculations among other things

There are many benefits among which we can mention that it is a free software that can be downloaded directly from the Internet, it can be installed in other operating systems that are not Linux, it takes few resources from the team in terms of memory and space in disk unlike other programs that exist in the market, it is easily installed and has the same structure as Microsoft Office.

Pros

I installed it on my home computer when I started using it to learn it and I was amazed that it was too fast to run, since this computer has very low performance and when loading other similar applications it takes a long time. What I like the most is that you do not need a large capacity to run in addition to being able to download it for free because it is not licensed.

Cons

What I do not like is that it does not have all the advantages of functionality as far as tools are concerned and that it is not 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, which is a limitation when exchanging information between both programs. For example, with open office calc and excel lack many tools so that office calc is a hundred percent compatible with the case of macros that are made in excel. If a document made with macros in Microsoft excel is tried to load in open office would not be compatible.

Actually it has all of the features you should need

Since my student-subscription ran out i was not willing to renew my subscription with the full paid version of Microsofts Office. So i switched to Apache and - honestly - was not disappointed. Since my last time using it, it gained a lot of functions and especially stepped up in overall appearance of the userinterface and in accessability. I would definitely recommend checking it out, before spending loads of money on commercial competitors!

Pros

It's astonishing, that Apache OpenOffice is still a freeware, if you keep in mind the incredible amount of functions it features. The "similarity" to Microsoft Office makes it very easy to switch between those products. The same goes for interchangeability of data. With Apache OpenOffice you can edit data from Microsoft Office without any loss in format and layout.

Cons

While it features a lot of features, there might be some very advanced functions, that are not availible in OpenOffice. That might not be a problem for the bigger part of users, because one might not even know about those. But for commercial usage it might fall short at parts.

I Love OpenOffice!

Pros

I've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.

Cons

I don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.

A decent alternative to Microsoft if required

I like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.

Pros

The thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice...

Cons

OpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)

Fast, easy and free* office suite

Since the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!

Pros

It does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!

Cons

Its not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.

Does everything and for free

I depend on it daily for writing and spreadsheets and am not disappointed! Cannot beat the free price.

Pros

It does everything -- i mainly use word processing and spreadsheets -- without getting wrapped up in Microsoft's intrusive and expensive software. I can open and save as Word, can open CVS, etc. Easy and effective

Cons

What's not to like, except they leave phone apps to private developers and i do wish i could search and replace tabs and other formatting symbols, but nobody's asked this since Microsoft Works in the 1990s!

The best free office suite

My overall experience of using Apache OpenOffice was great. It saves license cost. It is fast. I am having more benefit by using operating system of my choice.

Pros

Apache Open office is a free and powerful alternative to all popular office suites. It offers all basic and advance possibilities which other office suites are offering. It is available for all popular operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, etc. It is comparatively small in size. It is fast to run. It supports all popular file formats.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is no support for DOCx, XLSx and PPTx file formats.

Best free office product on the market

I have been using Open Office since 2007 or so. At the time I owned and operated The Computer Wizard in Plano, Texas. We supported a client base of 5,000. The newest version of MS Office that came out had a HIDEOUS interface and I decided I was done paying $$$ every version change for something I hated. I tried Open Office and liked it immediately. It is a friendly interface and easy to use.

Pros

This is a rock solid office product with versions compatible on PC, Mac and Linux platforms. It is STABLE. After setup, you simply have to change 3 settings to make it fully MS Office compatible so that it creates .doc and .xls files instead of Open Office versions.

Cons

No graphics export in spreadsheet. I had to create screenshots to get graphs exported.

A good budget option for Office utilities

It has been a lifesaver when other options are not at hand (no internet, or no budget to spend on fancier programs). I really like being able to search for templates online, and it was really helpful when making CVs that looked really professional.

Pros

OpenOffice is a free open-source software that can be installed and used in just minutes. Its similarities to other softwares make it easy for users to adapt and learn how to use it quickly, so it becomes a great otion for low-budget situations. It has a suite of programs with different functionalities, including a word processor, sheets and database makers, presentation and slides software, even a...

Cons

The visual style of the programs can seem a bit crude, and sometimes it can bug out or take really long times to load. It can also have some formatting problems when taken to other applications (tables or figures might move around and it can be difficult to correct for these modifications in other softwares).

Hands-Down the Best Productivity Software

I've used Apache OpenOffice for years. I used it when I was a college student until now at my current career. This year actually makes it 5 years that I've used Apache OpenOffice. Happy anniversary!

Pros

The best thing about Apache OpenOffice is that it's free, not to mention, that it offers the same office software that it's competitor Microsoft Office does. This software has every feature that you could think of and is so easy to use. I know that it may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I even when downloading this software, it is so fast to download and you are able to select which Apache software to download onto your computer, even if it's just one, for example, OpenOffice Calc.

Cons

There's really nothing that I dislike about this software. I would have to sit and really think and just force something. This software is flawless.