Gavel Logo

Automation to create document-generating questionnaires.

Gavel Reviews

Suggested alternatives

jotform-4-0
docusign
pandadoc

Others have said this, but it's amazing how much you can do with such a clean no-code interface.
The price point for advance features can be costly to smaller law firms.

Allen S.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Gavel has been a game-changer for our workflow automation!

Prior to Gavel, our client intake relied on PDF forms that required a lot of manual manipulation and weren't the easiest to update. Talk about a time and energy suck. Plus, our confidence in using our forms began to wobble as there were new questions that we wanted to include as well as existing questions that we wanted to adjust. And oddly enough, our forms became buggy which didn't make for the best client experience. So this put us on the hunt for a new solution which led me to [sensitive content hidden] and the Gavel team (Documate at the time). Everyone was terrific. After pulling the trigger and making the switch, we haven't looked back. Goodbye clunky old forms. Gavel for the win!

Pros

3 standouts: (1) A secure client portal that has dramatically improved the efficiency of our intake workflow; (2) The ability to easily and instantly update the data we collect; and (3) The AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!!

Cons

My only gripe is that we didn't implement Gavel sooner. ;)

PG

Peter G.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

The best legal document generation software I can find.

Excellent product and support. Second to none. Always a pleasure to deal with Gavel.

Pros

A very powerful and easy to use product. Touted as a no-code product, but the code option is remarkably easy to use in any event - I choose to write my templates by using Gavel's syntax, and I have never used any syntax or programming language before for any purpose. Very sophisticated and powerful template creation enabling the output of very complex documents, or on the other hand the simplest of documents if that's what you want. Links to interviews can be accessed by clients, so they can fill out the forms for immediate document generation for the client, or for initial review by the solicitor.

Cons

None really. Some requested features have not been introduced, but Gavel are very responsive to customer feedback, and I'm sure desired features will be included in time.

JE

Joy E.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

A great solution for automation

Our client intake which previously took 1hr+ now takes approximately 15-20 minutes. Documents that we previously had to spend time changing pronouns and tenses can now be updated with the click of a button. We are new users, so we are still discovering benefits, but so far it has saved us quite a bit of time.

Pros

Once it is set up, it's such an easy way to complete client intake and automate documents. Specifically, the intelligence of listing items and changing pronouns has been incredibly useful.

Cons

The implementation is a process. Identifying the questions you need to ask and inserting the code into the relevant documents can require a bit of troubleshooting and computer coding knowledge. Luckily, the support team is extremely helpful.

MS

Makiko S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Gavel review by builder and user

We appreciate the availability of Gavel. Both the standalone Gavel and the Gavel integrated LegalServer are critical programs for our daily use. As both a builder and user, I found Gavel's forms and templates intuitive and easy to create or use.

Pros

First is saving staff's time to create/generate forms. Second is collaboration with applicant to obtain information. Third is that customizable forms and templates which expanding the area using Gavel ( we are using Gavel for internal forms not only Legal forms, such as leave request, Mileage reimbursement form etc).

Cons

Con is that I can't find any cons about Gavel : )

JG

Josh G.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Great product & customer service

Pros

Documate is exactly what we've been looking for to streamline our previously inefficient, manual drafting processes. The product is both powerful and intuitive, and the Word plug-in made automating our existing templates a breeze. Their customer service has also been above-and-beyond, and the online documentation is thorough and helpful (including video guides). Overall a useful tool, made by a good company, and at a very reasonable price.

Cons

Nothing significant yet! Down the road I'd love to see more service integrations (e.g. to input data from other form applications, or output documents to a cloud drive). But that is not a critical feature, nor one I was expecting.

Eyüp Ö.

Financial Services, self-employed

Documate EO

I can easily do most of the things I used to do manually.

Pros

It's very functional in almost a lot of ways. The tools are very practical, the templates are beautiful

Cons

It's really hard to say anything bad about this software.

Lorrie W.

No programming skills required

Pros

Aside from the features in the application itself, the customer service is amazing. The team is constantly working to add features that add convenience and save time. The product is extremely easy to learn without having any sort of programming skills. I would offer that it probably has one of the most user friendly interfaces that I've seen. The Gavel user community is extremely helpful in Gavel's Slack channel and there is an abundance of helpful resources on their website, as well as in YouTube. And when I say their customer service is amazing, that's because if you can't find the answer in the existing resources, their support team is quick to help. Any time I have reached out for support, I hear back from someone on their team within 15 minutes or so.

Cons

Although the Word add-in allows you to insert variables that were previously created in the workflow, you are unable to create variables directly from the add-in, on the fly. Although it doesn't take very much time to switch back and forth between the applications, it is the only thing I can think of that I have seen in other applications that would be a bonus in Gavel.

DD

Dennis D.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Well designed for document creation and automation

Well run company with a very, very bright future.

Pros

I like Gavel because it has a robust set of tools for logic in both workflows and your target templates. The paywall was something I had to have so I didn't have the hassle of billing and collecting. The customer support is the best.

Cons

There is some room for improvement. For our particular use, advance math functions and the ability to require signers to input text during the e-signature process.

MS

Megan S.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Gavel Minimizes Time Spent on Document Creation

Pros

Gavel is an all around fantastic software to minimize the time needed to create legal documentation. With ample customization options and the easy no-code environment, even small law firms can take advantage of the efficiency opportunities and cost savings Gavel has to offer in their day-to-day operations.

Cons

The price point for advance features can be costly to smaller law firms.

Ezequiel B.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Gavel is our ally in Brevity

Astounding. I would never change Gavel for document automation

Pros

The product is extremely easy to use and the interface is great not only with the document automation, but how the form is presented to the client.

Cons

Nothing really. I do want to see Blueprint (the AI feature) work in Spanish.

Ruby L.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

More powerful than I expected and easy to use

Overall, the software is powerful, can accomplish almost anything I threw at it, easy to use, and great to put in front of my clients. It's seamless, and they're always growing and adding new features. Very customer-focused company.

Pros

Gavel is incredibly powerful. I have looked at multiple legal automation software providers, and Gavel really rose to the top with its functionality. The goal of automation is to get my docs to almost 100% before I do the final review, and Gavel did that for me. There were so many small features that I didn't think about (like nested repeating items) when I was initially looking at software that were easy to set up on Gavel. Also, the customer success team really cares, and so does the founder.

Cons

Honestly, I am struggling to come up with something big. There are features that I wanted when I did my demo that they had by the time I signed up. They have a customer wishlist of features that it seems they actually execute on.

JH

Jens H.

Great tool!

Excellent product and so nice and friendly support staff. We are long time users and are very happy with the team @Gavel!

Pros

Great and easy tool for automation. Best support staff - always friendly and eager to help.

Cons

We are waiting for a few features and hopefully Gavel will launch them shortly!

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Great software for litigators to automate retainers, discovery, and template-based pleadings

I (and especially our paralegals) are very happy we found Documate. We've saved a ton of time, and it's worth the monthly fee times 1000. Because it creates a web-based app, we've also considered rolling this out as an intake or document generation process for our clients - the interface is clean and mobile-friendly for that purpose, too.

Pros

I have used other document automation software, but they've been clunky, hard to use, and ugly. Documate is exactly what our firm was looking for. It was very easy to automate our documents; it keeps our formatting exactly as is (which is important for pleadings and documents with logos and footers); and it lowers human error.

Cons

So worth it. I haven't had any cons in the first year of using it. I even had a feature request that they added for our firm. Great customer service.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Very powerful tool for complex document automation

Before we started using Documate, we were manually drafting documents with MS Word, which wasted thousands of hours of employee time. If you need a robust document automation or document assembly tool, Documate may be what you've been looking for.

Pros

Our company uses Documate to generate a variety of contract sets. Because no coding knowledge is required, we were able to set it up very quickly. It allows for quite a bit of complexity in formatting your documents, adding conditional logic, and setting up complex calculations. The system passed our high privacy and data security requirements, and they set every user up on a dedicated instance, which is crucial when you're dealing with sensitive legal information.

Cons

We love Documate, and it's hard to think of any cons. Whenever we have had any "wish list" items, they've been quick to add features. The customer service is excellent.

JB

John B.

Gavel review

Very satisfied with my overall experience.

Pros

For someone with limited coding skills, the Help desk is first class!

Cons

Understanding how to code a sophisticated workflow can be challenging.

GS

George S.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Must Have App for all law firms - Highly recommendable!

Great 10/10

Pros

User friendly and powerful. Easy to use and friendly.

Cons

Add Chat GPT would be great. I hope that more customization would be coming

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, George. We're so glad you love Gavel and that it's been so easy to use. We're also always adding new features, and you can check them out on our product updates page here as well as our newsletter: https://www.gavel.io/resources/gavel-product-updates

NG

Nick G.

Law Practice, self-employed

Fast and easy legal docs

If you need fast and accurate documents, get Gavel!

Pros

They make it fast and easy to get perfect legal documents. Every. Single. Time.

Cons

They deserve more credit for the work they do for firms like ours. Can’t image our practice without them!

MC

Mike C.

We love Gavel.

Pros

Gavel is robust enough to handle everything from intake forms to complex commercial agreements.

Cons

Gavel is probably best described as a low code solution, not a No code solution but learning a little code is worth the effort.

TM

Tika M.

Performing Arts, 11-50 employees

Using Documate for my small business, and it seriously speeds up document production!

Great tool to seriously speed up document assembly and form generation. It's also Mac friendly and works on all browsers and devices.

Pros

The program helps me generate agreements and price lists for my event planning business. It was to set up, because it requires no prior coding experience, and it's saved me so much time. Now, I send the link to my web-based "interview" to my clients, and they fill out all the information on their end (which they can do on their phones). There are many customization possibilities, but I set it up so they don't see the final agreement right away. Instead, I get an email with the completed document, which I can review and send back over to them when I'm ready. Really great tool for small businesses who don't want to be bogged down with document generation.

Cons

None really. They market mostly to legal, which I think they're expanding out of, but they have been incredibly supportive in helping me set up a process within my business.

AF

Arisa F.

Law Practice, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Stellar client experience for my law practice

I use Gavel as a document automation platform for my internal practice, but also as a client intake and portal for my clients. They are able to log in and fill out data requests and tasks that I have for them, but then I get all that data and can pipe it into the docs. I have not seen another platform that is this powerful on the doc automation side and can also make it easy for me to run my practice. Great software.

Pros

The best combination of robustness and ease. Gavel has been a game changer for my law practice, allowing me to generate document sets in a fraction of the time, and it was easy to set up. Just great software all-around.

Cons

Would like to be able to communicate with my customers through their client portal with in-app messaging. This is a feature that I understand will come in the future.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are so happy to hear about Gavel's impact on your practice and your clients. Reach out to us anytime if you need anything.

TA

Tadas A.

Computer Software, self-employed

From a non-lawyer: Gavel is great for contract management and document control

Pros

- Versatile for non-legal tasks like contract management and document generation- Intuitive and user-friendly UX that doesn't require legal expertise- Constant updates and feature additions, with a responsive customer service team

Cons

- Lack of in-app messaging for client communication

Import and Export, 10,001+ employees

Does Everything You Can Think Of

We have com-ple-tely (!) automated all our template based work. I never thought it could be this good.

Pros

Very flexible product that can take data and generate documents in a multitude of ways. Has saved us so much time and money and allowed us to scale our work.

Cons

I just hope they stop advertising so our competitors dont hear about them...!

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Very intuitive and powerful document automation and expert system

Pros

Documate is the most robust system and the only one that could satisfy our security needs.  I started using Documate for legal documents, and then realized how much more power and capacity it has, so I'm now using it for my projects, HR documents, and pdf forms we need to complete.  It's been a game changer.  They were able to set up SSO and the API has allowed us to seamlessly integrate with our current systems.

Cons

It took our company too long to find them in the first place!

HJ

Hoda J.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Secure software with unmatched functionality

We use Documate daily, and it's proven to be a reliable and necessary part of our business.

Pros

The automation is great - easy, clean, and the formatting looks great. But what's most important to us (in the medical field) is a secure platform with a dedicated database that segregates our data on the web. Their team was helpful in setting us up with an Enterprise account and explaining exactly how data privacy, security, and data deletion can be set up according to our specifications.

Cons

Doesn't have themes or color options. Though they allow you to insert those yourself with CSS.

HW

Hillary W.

Real Estate, 501-1,000 employees

Well worth the price

Love this software. Take the 7-day free trial and you'll see how easy it is to set up. You may need to have a round of layoffs because of how much time it saves.

Pros

Has saved us a fortune in administration time. We have all of our (very lengthy) contracts and contract packets set up in the interview builder. Anytime someone in the company wants to initiate a contract, they run the interview from the link. So much faster than spending half the day modifying a document.

Cons

Really hard to think of any. Maybe would be nice to be able to customize fonts and colors for the client-facing piece.