ScreenSteps Reviews

Brent K.

Other than the amazing customer support. ScreenSteps does exactly what it says it does -- it enables teams to write beautiful, professional-looking online help documentation, FAST.

Nicole B.

Cons

I can't point a thing I don't like. We use to have issues with the ScreenSteps Chrome extension, but not anymore.

Flavia M.

4.9

One of the best knowledge management software I have used

Pros

Small learning curve. Easy to create articles. User friendly.

Cons

Not easy to copy and paste entire articles during transition to this platform. But easy to get in the groove.

ScreenSteps has awesome customer support: fast, friendly, and actually helpful, every time.

Pros

Other than the amazing customer support? ScreenSteps does exactly what it says it does -- it enables teams to write beautiful, professional-looking online help documentation, FAST. ScreenSteps is also loaded with useful features that can be flexibly incorporated into a team's documentation process. As my company's sole technical communicator, I run multiple ScreenSteps sites for different products. Two of these products require very different site settings (one is open to the public, the other is private and for customers only) and are developed by very different teams with very different communication styles. ScreenSteps works equally well in both situations, for both products.

Cons

Because it's so easy to create ScreenSteps articles, and because articles are written in bite-sized pieces, you can quickly end up with hundreds of pages of content that need to be maintained. When major changes happen, such a big update to a software's UI, this can mean updating thousands of screenshots across hundreds of articles -- with no easy/efficient means to do so. ScreenSteps' desktop application is a little buggy and feels outdated, even if it's not. It does have a built-in screen capture tool, but the capture options are limited compared to tools like SnagIt. I wish there were an integration that would allow me to use SnagIt to capture screenshots and insert them directly into the web-based editor. I'd never bother with the desktop application again.

ScreenSteps

Pros

I really love using ScreenSteps. It makes documentations so much easier and it allows me to sit down at the computer and walk through a process while taking pictures of the task in progress.

Cons

The most outstanding Knowledge Base, Website creation tool in the business.

Ability to build a robust, searchable documentation and training Knowledge Base for end users.

Pros

It's ease of use and it's robust search function. If you needed to create a website on your own that required an in depth search function, it would costs you potentially tens of thousands of dollars. For a very reasonable subscription price you get that function in your ScreenSteps site. PERFECT for documentation management.

Cons

There is practically nothing i don't like about the product. It's the best product of its kind in the industry.

Great product

Overall we've been users of Screensteps for several years. It's a good product with very good support. Pricing is high for what it does, however it does make documentation pretty easy. I imagine someday a lower priced competitor will come about and if they offer us an easy ability to import our screensteps docs we would switch.

Pros

Easy to make support documentation, user manuals, etc.

Cons

Pricing and it would be nice if each step could support multiple screenshots, sometimes visualizing a step requires a few screenshots...rather than creating multiple steps.

Hey Brent! Thanks for the great review! The new version of ScreenSteps enables you to add multiple images in one step. You can also include GIF, foldable sections, styles to your text, and auto uploads PDF versions of your docs to your knowledge base. If you want to try the new version out, send us a note--support@screensteps.com.

ScreenSteps is an essential tool for my daily work, and works very well for my company's needs.

I'm able to do my job more effectively each day thanks to ScreenSteps. It has been an extremely useful platform for our internal and client-facing knowledge base.

Pros

I like that ScreenSteps always seems to be adapting and improving. The system upgrades reassure me that the folks at ScreenSteps are consistently bettering the product.

Cons

As far as I can tell, there seems to be very little rhyme or reason to the way search results in the platform are displayed. If the search algorithm were made more clear, my company would find it extremely useful.

Meets my requirements very well.

Simple, great output. Quick to update and easy to manage.

Pros

Takes some of the technical aspects out of being able to deliver nice looking online material. Simple for end user experience. Took awhile to get really familiar with new version and it's 'quirks'. Now that I am used to it - all works very well for me. I am also impressed at how responsive my numerous support queries have been resolved by the team (thanks again BTW).

Cons

More built in customisation would be nice. Locking of content is great but useless for me unless there is an ability to also allow PDF's to be downloaded which hold up the permissions, i.e.: only PDF download the content 'available' to the logged in user.

ScreenSteps has been great from the start! Great customer service, happy users and admins.

I can now create training materials that make sense to my users in a variety of formats: explicit articles OR interactive articles with steps. I mostly use the software for creating the training materials, and I have noticed less data cleaning needs and happier users.

Pros

Everytime I use ScreenSteps I am amazed by how easy is to create explicit training materials in a beautiful format , and how easy is for the users to access the information they need.

Cons

I use ScreenSteps as an onboarding tool, a training and then post-training tool. I love it.

I help my clients learn what they have to learn, re-learn what they've forgotten, and see new things from time to time.

Pros

I find it just simple to use...which means that I WILL use it. I love the way I can jump through a complex process, just grabbing screenshots and then come back to annotate everything. This makes documentation a breeze for me.

Cons

I used the desktop version before I moved to the online version, and I really miss the desktop because I had just gotten used to it. I liked the way I could get stuff done in far-flung countries where the internet is spotty at best, and non-existent at worst.

Screensteps is my go to documentation tool

Pros

The integrated screenshot, markup and text editor make the documentation process so simple. I can choose to simply walk through a process and take screenshots for adding text a later time or I can document each step while I am in the middle of the process and things are fresh on my mind. Others can edit what I start or I can continue what they have begun.

Cons

The hardest thing is to get other people in the organization to think about using it for their documentation purposes. People want to hurry up and get something done and they do what they are comfortable with.

Great tool to manage Zendesk HelpCenter content

Lot's easier to manage our HelpCenter content.

Pros

The way it integrates with Zendesk is very good. The API connection is fast and stable. The ScreenSteps editor is very useful for adding (and managing) screenshots to your content. We've chosen ScreenSteps for their screenshot and Zendesk sync capabilities .

Cons

For users who do not use it frequently, the interface is quite complex. The pricing is too heavy if you use it only to manage Zendesk content.

I've been using Screensteps since it was created and its a great way to create documentation

It solved our problem in providing up to date and detailed documentation for our customers, on our very complex and ever changing software.

Pros

Its easy to use, intuitive, fast to update and shows our customers step by step how to do the things they want to do.

Cons

Occasionally it has bugs. The support is great in this case, I've never reported an issue with no response, and often the solution has appeared the next day.

Awesome articles in minutes!

More effective knowledge base articles in a lot less time!

Pros

ScreenSteps makes it so quick and easy to make (and update) highly effective knowledge base articles.

Cons

Would love to see SEO fields applied to their Zendesk integration (ScreenSteps tags > Zendesk Labels).

Great for Article Managment

Pros

Easy to use to make updates to help articles and organizing all your content. Very easy for our clients to search for help articles on their user interface.

Cons

Not easy to edit your design and it can take some users a little longer than I would like to get the hang of using the program. Once learned though it is a very helpful product.