BuildingConnected

Bid tracking and management for construction contractors

BuildingConnected Reviews

Pros

All of my experiences with Building Connected have been nothing but pleasant. Their staff is friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable.

CB

Chuck B.

Top notch product with excellent customer support that improves our ability to win work.

JC

James C.

It is the best "software" on the market. With the integration into the whole Autodesk family, BuildingConnected is definitely the best "bang for your buck.

GH

Glenn H.

Cons

This should be for ALL cases where one needs to type information. There is too many BAD EMAIL ADDRESSES identified in the database that NEVER get corrected.

DV

David V.

I dislike that you have to use the software to obtain quotes.

NW

Nick W.

No mobile device support, and trying to get subcontractors to all submit on the platform has proved difficult.

LP

Luke P.

Total Game Changer

Absolutely love it!

Pros

No one else that has this type of software comes anywhere close to the ease of use and ability to generate reports on the productivity and effectiveness of our past bids. I went from inputing about 30% of the information Building Connected has available in my own excel spreadsheet for at least 2-3 hours per day to letting the program do its job and running reports at my leisure!

Cons

Occasionally, the website locks up and causes some frustration with my sales team, but they all agree that we can never go back!

Great product, best on the market

We have been more than pleased, it has been a good purchase for us without a doubt.

Pros

Document control and ease of use. The document management has paid for the cost of the software by documenting who has accessed documents and when they were accessed. Also, the ease of use has significantly decreased the amount of time that we spend assisting subcontractors and vendors in pre-construction.

Cons

It would be great to be able to view a document rather than having to download the file first. There should also be some flexibility in formatting, data selection for reports.

Could be better

If the problems shown above are corrected I would describe as good.

Pros

Allows us to send bids in our area to many subcontractors.

Cons

1) Impossible to use in iPhone. 2) Comments are not valued by Buildingconnected Management 3) Mixes apples and oranges when it comes to UNION versus OPEN SHOP Subs, it needs serious revamping. 4) Ditto regarding the mix of subs, painters show under electrical subs. This needs a complete revamp, as well. 5) The selection of dates is cumbersome as the calendar "moves" up and down instead of being located...

Building Connected Review

Building connected is very helpful in keeping all the information in one place. Phone numbers, email, fax, and even various personnel available within the program. Very easy to use and I would highly recommend to colleagues

Pros

It was very convenient being able to add the variety of trades when inquiring on a new or updated price for new drawings. Everything was organized very well to include the bidders and files pertaining to the specific sections

Cons

What could use more work within this software is the ability to easily add a proposal received from a bidder not previously added to the software. There are times when bidders are told about a job from other coworkers and send a price in without an invitation to building connected. It gets tough adding them as it requires you to add to the system instead of just directly adding the proposal as needed.

Streamlined & Simple

We've eliminated a substantial amount of the risk in our bid process by having current information available to all team members. It helps us get info out to subcontracts 3 or 4 days faster than we could with our previous process.

Pros

Great for when we have bid teams of 4 or 5 people and having an instant snapshot of where our bid process stands. We have committed to doing detailed bid forms that subs have gotten used to for submitting their proposal and using the breakdown provided.This helps us zero in on the right conversations we should be having with the right subs and makes us more effective during the bid.

Cons

Our people rely too much on communicating through BC and it reduces the amount of phone conversations where we believe we learn a substantial amount more that a line item on the bid form.

Building Connected is Cutting Edge

The ease of accessing subcontractors across the United States is amazing. Instead of using several different sources it now cut down to using BC and maybe one or two others.

Pros

The access to subcontractors all over the country. The analytics provided by the program to track and compare projects solicited. The constant improvement of the program and how it evolves. The ability to be very dynamic and flexible. The ease of use and set up supersedes other programs tried in the past.

Cons

The up-keep of contact information and how to update it. Populating relevant vendors for scopes of work for the area of work to be performed in.

Building Connected Rocks

Love it makes my life easier

Pros

The ease of use and the ability to manage large amounts of information with ease. The projects run threw Building Connected are streamlined and increase productivity overall.

Cons

Not having the ability to edit contacts information in our data base with out having the user to log in and confirm the edits some times our subs are not tech savy enough to log in.

Worth the Try

I don't mind working with it because it's easy to use, for me personally I would rather use it when needed, I would rather have another project administration website. Just because I can't edit much on it, It has what it has and you have to work with it. There's no area to add links, nowhere to add files and stuff like that.

Pros

I mostly like that it has an easy to use interface, easy on the eye, simple, you get a personal agent to help with any doubts and suggestions you might have.

Cons

That it has limited options to add additional features or additional links, you can't really edit much.

Great tool

The role out went well; most of our employees were up and running without assistance within the 1st week.

Pros

After the initial the project setup this accelerates the the issuing of new documents and messages. This has saved my team a lot of time and headaches compared to the old way of email the subcontractors. Being able to see who as accessed the project documents helps to insure we get good bid coverage.

Cons

I would like to customize features to better work for our company and be able to load larger file sizes.

Easy to Use, Organized Bid Management

Overall, Building Connected has been a great time saver for managing subcontractor bid opportunities and has allowed for the entire to team to have the most up to date information at all times.

Pros

This software is easy to use, has a great dashboard, and is very intuitive. The options/features are continually improving/being added. It is very helpful to track subcontractor interest and participation, and allows for a real-time automatically updated snapshot of subcontractor participation

Cons

Some of the features could be stronger, but Building Connected is continually rolling out new features, and optimizing existing features. One drawback is that bid invites often go to individuals SPAM folders.

My thoughts having used BUILDING CONNECTED for a number of years.......

Very useful & user friendly, in general.

Pros

Super user friendly (for most who are 'remotely' tech savvy )

Cons

I dislike that subcontractors who view the ITB can close it and do not have to confirm their intent, thus wasting a lot of time when we have to call "non-responders". A feature whereby they cannot leave the ITB without conforming their intent, either way. This would save DAYS of phone calls on each bid chasing people who have no intent of bidding. OR, non-responders should get a daily automatic reminder...

Improves Efficiency!

We have become more efficient in our bidding process, allowing us to increase our win percentage, increase our subcontractor coverage and to tackle more projects.

Pros

This software is paramount is organizing and presenting critical bidding information, not only to our subs but also relaying that information back to our Estimating team. The software can be setup to accommodate different levels of detail, with individual projects, or individual bid packages for each project. Easily distribute and download critical project documents.

Cons

A few of our "outdated" subcontractors are hesitant to login and interact with the system.

Solicit & Communicate Efficiently

Pros

BuildingConnected provides users an intuitive interface to organize and solicit subcontractors and vendors on construction projects large & small. The project information tab has the ability to capture an convey general project information both internally and externally feeding into the strong analytical tools. The files tab allows for user customization to project specific documents and requirements....

Cons

Webpage is not optimized for mobile devices. Analytics do not allow for individual projects to be excluded which diminishes the value of the reporting.

Possibly the best Bid Invitation Software available.

We wanted a bid invitation solution that our subcontractors liked, were familiar with, and we wanted a long term partner. So far the relationship with BC has been great. I wish the pricing was a little lower and more comparable to other softwares out there as that would allow me to not have to review other competitor products upon renewal.

Pros

The user-friendly interface allows us to issue bid invitations in a matter of minutes.

Cons

I dislike that you have to use the software to obtain quotes. I wish direct emails were possible without having to go through the web.

Excellent Platform to use for reaching out to Subcontractors

We can view how many times a sub we have reached out to for bidding has provided us with proposals, declined or accepted our invitations, the ease of being able to see a subs prequalification status, and just the overall information BC provides us from bid leveling to the use of PlanGrid, TradeTapp, Box, etc.

Pros

Since I utilize BC on a daily basis, I truly enjoy the ease of creating projects, building bid packages, sending out notifications to all at once or individually, how you can make notes in BC about your conversations with different subs, add tags, add favorites, how things are time stamped and dated, how we can sync the files to Box, add subs for projects we have already published; all in all, it is an extremely easy program to work with.

Cons

The only drawback for me is the fact that we are not able to change any information for a subcontractor, for example, when I know that someone's email address is incorrect, I am not able to change it, we have to "Suggest an Edit" and type in what needs to be amended. However, we do not receive any notifications indicating that the "suggestions" we put through have been changed, accordingly.

Efficient Product

I have enjoyed using building connected over the past couple years and it has helped me gain many quality contractors that I have grown partnerships with. The positives have outweighed the negatives, which are always worked out by Building Connected customer support staff.

Pros

The ability to find new subcontractors that fit our specific needs. The organization of the interface that allows me to sort through bidders and none bidders efficiently. Building connected allows for all of my colleagues and I to be on the same page although we are in different states, with the notes feature. Simplistic interface design allows for ease of navigation. Customer service support is a phone call away at all times and they show great concern for your time constraints.

Cons

It can be embarrassing how some employees have been terminated from their companies but on Building Connected they are my point of contact so I ask for them and get that bad news. More clear information as to the exact type of services companies provide. For example some will say millwork but they only provide design oriented woodwork.

Day to Day with BuildingConnected

Awesome!

Pros

The leveling section is such a time saver. We can look at everything one screen, make adjustments and go with a final number on bid day seamlessly. A real time saver. A great tool to show owners and clients that we have done our homework and selected the lowest most qualified bidder

Cons

Be sure you have a strong network and a strong network connection. As the day wears on it can be slow down at bit

Small Tweaks Would Be Nice!

98% positive. I do think a "live chat" feature would be nice though!

Pros

I definitely love this software. Love the database and love the ease in adding new people to an invitation after it's already been publishes. I like having these things "at my fingertips" so to speak. I like it's ease in navigation - FOR THE MOST PART, THAT IS. I have indicted below what I did not like.Most of the time I think it's very user-friendly.

Cons

My only negatives are with regard to ease of use when it comes to navigating the site. It seems a little "clunky" sometimes that you have to go through the steps you do to get to certain areas from other areas.....meaning that I think it could be more streamlined to access companies or individuals when you are in one screen without having to get out of where you are and "re-navigate." This among...

My, how you've grown!

As a trade contractor doing about $5 million a year I've been getting plans and proposals from GC's via BuildingConnected's 'Private plan room' for several years now. I've noticed recently the change in GUI and functionality and investigated. I wound up with a few days to test drive the full product and liked it quite a bit. Unfortunately I'm not convinced of the day to day justification for the...

Pros

The ability to find those GC's that are bidding on the same projects (why not submit your proposal to all bidders?) easily and accurately. The almost infinitely customizable search interface. Finding new GC's in regional markets and being able to research them and their projects BEFORE I ask to be included in ITB's! Integration with my current 'free' account.

Cons

Not an even rudimentary ability to manage MY subcontractors and vendors! They offer this feature in a richly granular way in the product they market to GC's, put a stripped down version HERE if you REALLY want to attract trade contractors!! Probably too costly for the returns for many trade contractors, yet not feature rich enough to appeal to larger trade contractors.

Ron Wright Inc

Team members can decide on what to bid without meeting at the same time.

Pros

The organization of the bid list by due date is great. It's important sometimes to search an archived project. Huge time saver having a dedicated email auto populating the bid list and auto populating some of the project information. The bid form notification of being read is great to have reassurance that the proposal was received. The comment section is great for notes to other team members.

Cons

The planhub invites not auto populating client information is frustrating. The split screen on the bid board is useful or needed, split screen with limited views of both screens. One screen with all the info would be more useful. When you need more info you open the project. The right hand screen is not used.

Building Connected Review

I've been using building connected for two years and its been great. It is very easy to use not only for the estimating team but also for our subcontractors. If the project if awarded to our company we then invite the project management team to the project. They download all the bid forms submitted to an excel document that is later used during scoping meetings.

Pros

Easy to use Communication with subcontractors is very easy Can add notes Very easy to upload bid forms and scope description Easy to see who has submitted bids and identify low bidder immediately Easy to download bid form for additional scoping

Cons

One of the things I like the least about the software is that when we have to send bid invites to only specific subcontractors we have to go through the entire list and uncheck the ones we don't want to invite. This can be a little time consuming when we have to delete 20 or more subcontractors from our work package. The only other thing that could be improved is better identification of union vs non-union subcontractors.

Great Program! Essential to my office's success.

Pros

Simple, easy to learn - can teach anyone in my office Quick, no waste of time due to long processes Keeps track of correspondence Document control Bid Forms are flexible

Cons

Lack of being able to update trade partners' information. I get that it is great that the trades feel like they get to have total control over their account, but I am constantly calling wrong contacts because I cannot update their info myself. Trades are not always willing (or have time) to update their own information.

Jack Grulke

In our business, the more contractors we can get to submit a proposal, the more impressive is our presentation to the client. Our previous goal was to be able to present 3 proposals for each trade to the client. Now it is not unusual to have as many 10 -- or more! Many of these have been sourced from your service. Keep up the good work. Our annual subscription fee to you is well worth the money.

Pros

We get many new contractors from your lists. They are mostly, if not always competent in attendance, professional in attitude and proficient in quality. As we are licensed in all 50 states, we frequently call these new trade partners for repeat contracts in their local markets. Your connections are invaluable in smaller markets where we have not worked before.

Cons

Sometimes the listed trades are incorrect. For example, often a contractor will be listed as "Gypsum" and upon calling, we find they are carpenters and don't do gypsum at all. Also contractors will listed as doing multiple trades that they do not do.

Essential tool for Vendor/Subcontractor and Bid Proposal Management

It functions in about 95% of all items.. Few things which I wished to be implemented I sent to Support for considerations and received feedback that they will pursue them in future releases.

Pros

Davaco's business model is to perform commercial remodels of Retail, Restaurants or Hospitality Projects throughout USA and Canada. While we have many W2 employees which travel throughout the territories to perform a variety of tasks - we are heavily dependent on partnering with local Subcontractors to perform additional remodel tasks. In this process BuildingConnected tool is essential to send invitation to bids and collecting bid proposals from multiple sources in the geographic location radius of the project itself. As such BC performs marvelous in that task.

Cons

Geographic radius invitations of Bidders with the filters for Non or Union based, minority business owners. Easy proposal creation and upload of proposal - tracking and overall ease of use.

Easy to use - some features needed.

What started as a cold call has made my entire job easier. The site is used company wide and has made bidding projects exponentially easier.

Pros

Ease of use and customer service are second to none.

Cons

We need a deeper level of customization when it comes to RFI and other document management.