FOUNDATION Logo

FOUNDATION

Construction accounting software for managing job costing

FOUNDATION Reviews

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.23/10

Reviews by rating

It has been fantastic, webinars are great for refreshers or learning something new or training a new employee.
Customer care and tech support are great. They will help you with anything you need.
Extremely happy with the product. Very functional and great value for money.
One of my most common complaints regarding accounting systems is the lack of support. That has never been a problem with FOUNDATION since we began recommending them in 2000.
Lack of tax reports and tax information availability for reporting taxes. Difficult processes, too many restrictions where they shouldn't be and not enough where there should.
Overall experience was incredibly poor. I wish I would have stuck with my gut, got an accounting software and used HCSS Heavyjob for daily costs and timecards.

JB

Jane B.

This reviewer only left a rating

Cary & Associates Builders, Inc. is an award-winning Full Service General Contractor specializing in negotiated projects for the Design and Construction of Commercial, Industrial, Winery and Agricultural buildings. We used a very well-known complex construction software for approximately 18 years. Through the years, the problems with the software were accompanied by inordinate increases in support...

DF

Doreen F.

Construction, 501-1,000 employees

Great Union Payroll System

We have a very complicated payroll for the simple fact that we are a multi state, multi union company. This means many different rates of pay, taxation tables and unions, as well as our Administration and Shop payrolls. P4C thru Foundation has been able to handle this with ease and I really am happy with the service they have provided to us in the past 2 1/2 years. I hope to continue a much longer relationship with them. Whenever a support call is logged, usually one of the 2 reps. call back almost immediately and help work through any issue, no matter how long it takes. They are personable and professional and always helpful. Reliable system, easy time entry and reports generated are very easy to read.

Pros

I love the fact that P4C can handle all of our multi state and multi union (sometimes up to 55 different unions) Time entry is very easy, and includes attaching hours to jobs and tasks with ease. The system is very user friendly and the Support staff is phenomanal. Generates great union reports, job costing and also great HR reports as well, such as 401k reporting. We can process same day layoff checks...

Cons

I don't like that if i have multiple payroll cycles computed and i have to purge one, that it will purge ALL computed cycles, not just the one I had chosen.

ll

lou l.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Strong Program, lack of support and updates

There are better programs out there.

Pros

The program does it all besides estimating. Has a good system of checks and balances and everything is tracked so very hard for employees to cover their tracks. It does a lot well but everything has its hiccups.

Cons

There are several things I dislike about the product as it has so much potential to be 10x better yet they have no ambition to make it better. 95% up the updates released by foundation software are fixes to glitches or problems. Very rarely is there an actual new feature or upgrade to the program. There are several flaws with the program that would be easy to fix, which have been suggested but...

Hi Al. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughts on FOUNDATION. Honestly it is not what we expected to hear from you and are deeply concerned about your disappointment. We strive to produce the absolute best product and service for our clients, although we understand at times using new software can be frustrating. One of our training managers will reach out this week to coordinate a time that’s convenient for you and discuss your concerns in greater detail. We hope that you will take our call so we can work toward resolving any outstanding issues and make FOUNDATION a successful accounting investment for your construction business. We look forward to working with you.

HR

Holly R.

The most user friendly software I've used in the 20 years

Tech support is always there to help and they are extremely knowledgeable in all areas. I usually learn a new feature or shortcut when I call for assistance.

Pros

This software has many automated features that saves the employee time. In Accounting they have a quick reversal buttons which will auto-generate the reversal of an AP Payment, AP Invoice, Journal Entry and more. Change Orders are directly tied with your billing and will automatically bring you to the AIA screen to update the billing line item. All-in-all it's a system that works with you to easily enter your information and generate a multitude of reports for every department. It is the most user friendly software I've used in the 20 years I've been doing accounting.

Cons

I was disappointed that the Foundation Mobile app didn't have the reporting that our management staff needs to run our jobsites. If they ever add more reporting features, specifically clock in time reporting to that module, I will jump at the chance to switch, as it was a seamless import and saved our payroll dept. hours of review time.

Hi Holly, Thank you for leaving such a great review. At FOUNDATION, we continuously strive to serve you better and are thrilled our team has managed to meet those needs in various areas of your business. As far as your concerns with Mobile, I am going to have a Sr. Mobile Rep contact you to discuss and see if there's anything we can do to better service your needs in that area. Thanks again Holly. Robin, Client Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

TH

Tryn H.

Construction, 11-50 employees

User of Foundation for 14 1/2 yrs.

I have been working with and using Foundation for 14 1/2 yrs. They have always worked with me in anything that I may need, they are friendly and very supportive. Foundation is a Great accounting software, especially for construction, due to the easiness and detailed information and tracking that it provides, especially if you do Job Costing. I even had some very complex financials I had to do over the years with division reporting that Foundation was there to help me with. We also work through the Cloud with Foundation (Saas) and I love it. It is so much easier and they do all the updates! I definitely recommend using Foundation as your accounting software.

Pros

Foundation is pretty user friendly. I use this software for a total of 8 of my companies, mostly and mainly for construction. It provides all the reporting and tracking that you will ever need. We are currently using the GL, AR, AP, PR and Job Costing modules. I have had very complex situations over the years that where a challenge for me in the reporting area and Foundation was always there for me in setting up things the way I needed them.

Cons

I cannot say that there is anything I do not like about this Software.

Hi Tryn! Thanks so much for the awesome review. It means the world to us. We strive to provide a great product and are thrilled to hear we've met that mark for you, your team and your companies over the years. Thanks for being a long-time partner with FOUNDATION. We look forward to many more years with you. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm happy to help. Robin, Client Success Advocate, rmo@foundtionsoft.com

MR

Mendy R.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Foundation

Overall experience was good after initial set up. Once program was learned it was easy to navigate

Pros

Software was easy to use after initial training. invoice attachments was new to us so that was very helpful.

Cons

The reports had the details of what i needed but when trying to export them they would come out unreadable.

Hi Mendy, thank you for sharing your thoughts about FOUNDATION. We're happy your experience with us has been positive and you've found our software easy to use. I noticed you haven't been actively using our software for some time but I'd love to talk with you and get some feedback on your customer support rating. As we strive to provide quality client support and a great product, we are always looking for ways to improve. Please let me know of a good time to reach you. Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

LC

Leesa C.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Excellent software and exceptional techinical support

Pros

We have used Foundation Construction Accounting for almost fifteen years. We have been extremely pleased with this software and it continues to be one of the most reliable and well-developed software that we use in our firm. Very user-friendly and logical in its processes. Reporting is excellent and is not only used by our accounting staff, but also by our project management staff to monitor job...

Cons

There is not anything that we do not like about this software.

Wow! Thank you so much, Leesa! We're blown away by your positive words. We really appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed review and we're so glad you've found our software to be valuable in all areas of your business. As we constantly work on ways to increase the value we provide for our clients, it's great to hear we've been meeting those expectations for you and T&M Tilt-Up throughout the years. We look forward to many more with you. Please let me know if there's anything you need. Always happy to help! -Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

AH

Adam H.

Review of Product Software

High powered and excellent for running your back office systems.

Pros

The integration of Foundation into our existing process systems has been seamless. The accounts payable and receivable modules as well as the payroll system, are a must for our company. Great platform for everyday use

Cons

Well designed software with few limitations. We are well pleased.

Hi Adam! Thank you for your great review. We appreciate the feedback and are thrilled to hear our software has integrated well with your business and we are meeting the needs of your team. We look forward to providing you the quality product you expect for years to come. Thanks for being part of the FOUNDATION family. Please let me know if you need anything. Always happy to help. Thanks again Adam! -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

RF

Ronald F.

This reviewer only left a rating

Lighthouse Electric is a commercial / industrial electrical contractor operating primarily in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio. We are a union shop dealing with many local electricians, laborers, carpenters and operating engineers. We routinely employ several hundred tradesmen. Our software quest started with a goal: increase volume by 50% without adding overhead. That was 2001 and we soon...

BM

Brian M.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Electrical Contractor Review of Foundation

We chose Foundation for it's array of features, depth of reports, its customization options, and its affordability. Much cheaper than buying software that you have to pay per user access fees for. There are quirks, but once you understand the system, it's generally easy to navigate and manage them. Extremely feature rich. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

Incredible amount of features, options, and reporting functionality. Can pretty much do anything you would ever want to do, accounting-wise. Project Management module pays for itself. Other customization options are very nice. Price is extremely attractive for amount of features in the software. Customer support is A+++++.

Cons

Very steep learning curve, to use advanced features. Genie is a pain and really cumbersome, probably my least favorite part of the software, even though it's sold as a great feature. Software isn't always forgiving about mistakes, but customer support makes up for it.

LB

Lynn B.

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

Amazing Construction Accounting Softwarez!

Pros

When the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of the company and myself did our initial search of our Construction Accounting Software, Foundation Software beat three competitors by providing a better program in these areas: 1. Job costing 2. The report genie (No more expensive crystal reports) 3. Payroll module including certified payroll reports and the ability to upload certified payroll to the DIR in California or to Lcp Tracker. 4. The ability to cloud foundation software with SaaS 5. The customer support 6. The price point

Cons

All cam software like Viewpoint, Sage 300 or Foundation Software will never be a perfect software. As a user of all three in my career, I can always find an issue with each of them. The only issue so far with Foundation Software is the invoice approval of accounts payable invoices. I feel it is not seamless like their competitors, so we are using an old school method of approval. Our project manager code the invoices by hand and use manila folders. In regards to my cam comment and fairness to Foundation Software, Viewpoint reporting is done by crystal reports which is very expensive and Sage 300 just need a face lift to make more user friendly.

DF

Darlene F.

Foundations Software review

Ease of use. Great friendly people.

Pros

Ease of use, easy to learn on your own as I did. The support you get from Foundations is great. They don't make you feel stupid as some tech support people do. People are friendly and make you feel comfortable about calling on them. Using the log a call feature is so easy. They put you at ease. It's like talking to a friend about a problem you are having. I like that they can log into your system and show you right on the screen how to fix a problem or mistake. They were right there when I was learning the system. In the beginning I logged calls daily it seemed like. I was NEVER made to feel like I was bothering them.

Cons

I like it all. For our company there does not seem to be any cons.

Hi Darlene, We can't thank you enough for your kind words about FOUNDATION Software! You made our day, and we really appreciate it! So glad you are finding our software easy to use and you're benefiting from our client services team. It is our commitment to help as quickly and thoroughly as possible and it's great to know we are meeting/exceeding your expectations in that area. As always if there is anything you need, don't hesitate to reach out. Robin, rmo@foundatiosoft.com

AN

Annette N.

Love FOUNDATION Software

The accounting Feature in FOUNDATION is so easy to use...you enter the data and it takes care of the rest. Reports you can print help save the company time and money, and all you have to do is hit print. FOUNDATION even allows you to Export the report into an Excel file that you can easily sort.

Pros

Every aspect of FOUNDATION is user friendly! If I do run into issues, they have the most amazing support team I have ever been in contact with. FOUNDATION takes care of every function in the Construction business, including keeping your inventory for you so you don't have to spend the entire weekend crunching numbers. I have never spoken to a more happy support team than the one FOUNDATION has...they choose and train their employees with utmost care, and they are extremely patient and accommodating if you don't understand after they have explained. They spend the necessary time with you to help you understand every aspect.

Cons

I have had one instance where I couldn't get something from the software that I didn't want. Lo and Behold it was added in the next software update. FOUNDATION listens to their customers and makes improvements based on those suggestions.

DW

Daniel W.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Foundation Success

Foundation has been integral in our companies success. They are very helpful wheverever we have questions or when we make the occasional mistake to be able to help us fix it is incredible.

Pros

The software is very integral for our continued success. What we put into the system can easily be brought out of the system by creating reports. The user features are very easy to figure out and train people on how to use the system.

Cons

I haven't found many things that I don't like with this software. If you do have something that might help others they will figure it out and implement it into the software.

Hi Daniel, Thank you so much for your positive words. Your review means a lot. We're so happy to hear we are meeting your expectations and you're finding our software to be a valuable asset in all areas of your business. We look forward to a continued relationship with you and your team at Midwest Environmental. Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

AB

Annette B.

Why I like Foundation Software

We have had a great experience with the Foundation company for the last 6 years and would definitely recommend the software to other construction companies. I always get a timely response if I need technical support.

Pros

I liked the fact the the AIA billing and the Certified Payrolls were integrated into the software. I was using Excel for my CPR's before. Foundation Software is very user friendly.

Cons

I really don't have anything that I don't like about the software.

Hi Annette! Thank you for your great review. We're happy to hear you find the software easy to use and we've exceeded your expectations with our AIA and Certified Payroll capabilities. It is our commitment to keep meeting the needs of your team in both product and service. We look forward to great working relationship for years to come. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. Always happy to help. -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

AJ

Alyson J.

AMAZING Software

Pros

EVERYTHING!! The support and knowledge of the employees is nothing that I've every seen before. Extremely professional and polite. Always updating the system with more efficient ways to work and short cuts that save on time. So many opportunities to learn more about how the software works with videos, online calls, classes to attend in person.

Cons

Everything has been so amazing per our company that I can't think of anything that I like least.

Hi Alyson! Thank you for your awesome review! We're thrilled to hear you not only love the functionality of our software but also the Client Support products and services we provide. Thanks for being part of our FOUNDATION family. We look forward to our continued relationship with you and your team at Chapin Concrete Contractors. Please reach out if you need anything! -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

MK

Mandi K.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a low voltage electrical/telecommunications company that started in June 2006. In 2009 our company was beginning to outgrow the capacity of Quickbooks. We needed something that would give us a more in depth look at job costing as well as track our expenses and all other apsects of doing business. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into and how far we could take Foundation. We implemented...

MB

Melodie B.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Horrible IT

IT is unable to trouble shoot issues with freezing and crashes. They take too long to respond. They are unwilling or unable to provide clear solutions. Error messages keep accruing. They blame their customer without providing clear guidance or attempting to upgrade their servers, programming, etc. Their training videos are awful. The software is not data entry friendly--too much mouse work. The AP team is unable to work simultaneously without "server not responding" messages that freeze multiple people. Too much crashing with lost entries & document attachments.

Pros

Exported reports to Excel are easy to data filter.

Cons

Constant crashes, freezes, and error messages. Unable to select or unselect more data for specified report running. Too much clicking and not enough options to keep hands on keyboard for data entry. Inability to run reports while doing entry with document imaging. Training videos are too long and difficult to find specific information. Examples in training videos sounded like presenter didn't know what they were talking about. Horrific IT assistance. The entry screen cannot be minimized or maximized to assist with reading. The data entry screen is too wide to fit without scrolling. IT doesn't understand how the AP module works because they are unable to classify what the error messages mean and what the specific error or crash issue is with entry.

Hi Melodie, Thank you for your recent review. I'm sorry you've had a frustrating experience and we definitely appreciate you bringing your issue to our attention. There's nothing worse than tech issues interfering with productivity. I'm happy to let you know we are already on this, communicating with your IT team, ensuring the underlying tech issues are resolved. You should see improvements immediately. And, let me know if you'd like to discuss other options for self-help resources in lieu of our training webinars. I'm always happy to help. Thanks again! Robin, Client Success Advocate, rmo@foundationsoft.com

KM

Kim M.

Use this program daily

Pros

It is very easy to use. You can look up information that you need with only a couple of strokes. I find that anyone can use this program

Cons

the program i feel is for smaller companies as I do not feel it offers some of the functions that larger companies may need plus web base is better now for field use

Hi, Kim, I’d like to thank you for your wonderful review and feedback. We are glad you find FOUNDATION easy to use. We take pride in providing a robust, yet user-friendly software program to our clients, and I hope you’ve been finding our cloud-based version helpful since switching. If there’s anything you need from us to continue getting more out of your system, please let us know! — Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

JC

Judy C.

This reviewer only left a rating

My company is a Mechanical Contracting Company, specializing in bid and spec work and is known for it's commercial installations, as well as industrial plant maintenance and renovations and some government projects. We subcontract work with Insulation, Control, and Sheet Metal Subcontractors. Malone's Mechanical, Inc. recruits most of its employees through local union affiliates and is licensed in...

DM

David M.

Foundation Software helps our company

The integration makes it easy to run all of our bookkeeping chores

Pros

We love the integration between job costs, payroll and A/R, A/P and it is easy to access

Cons

Needs a little more flexibility for printing documents and sometimes retrieving information

Hi David! Thanks so much for the great review! It's great to hear you're happy and continue to benefit from the integrations our software provides. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. I'm happy to help. Thanks again for being a long-time partner with FOUNDATION, we appreciate it! Robin, Client Success Advocate, rmo@foundationsoft.com

CB

Crystal B.

Foundation software

Have been using for 9 years . Love it but training is expensive

Pros

Does everything you may want or need in accounting software. Even has areas we don't use. Prior to Foundation we used three different programs to track payroll, A/P, and A/R.

Cons

Tracking taxes across different states for monthly reporting difficult. Some manual work required to report accurately.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Crystal! We're thrilled to hear you love using FOUNDATION, and we love having you as a client. If there's ever anything else we can do for you, please let us know! // -Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

SG

Stu G.

Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 51-200 employees

Foundation Construction - Decent Entry Level Software

If you need a basic software this is as good as anything else out there. You will be pleased with migrating away from manual systems, but will probably be ready to migrate again in 5-7 years to a more robust package.

Pros

Handles AP/AR/Gl/PR/ and job costing adequately. This is definitely a step up from Quick Books. Good customer support when contacted.

Cons

Very little help collateral for clients. Usually, a software whether ERP, Office, or even photo/video editing has a robust users group with many YouTube videos online to provide a self-service kiosk of information and recommendations on how people use the software. Virtually everything online is aimed at marketing the product, not supporting existing users. The Help Desk people are great, but I would rather be able to research my own solutions from people that are actually in the industry using the software rather than programmers.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about FOUNDATION. We’re committed to helping you however we can and value the opportunity to know if you find we’re falling short in any area. Client education resources is something we’ve been deeply passionate about, and we’re excited to share our current offerings with you. Our client advocacy specialist will reach out to walk you through the many resources we provide, including webinars, how-to videos, FAQs and our client forum. We’d also love to hear if there’s anything else you think we can provide to help with your success on FOUNDATION. It’s our goal to continue working hard to provide you with a positive experience on FOUNDATION.

SH

Steven H.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Full of features but complicated

Pros

They are constantly adding to the platform which already holds a ton of applicable features. Lets you set up a template for estimating that can be tweaked for individual jobs.

Cons

I've been using the software for a year now and it's still complicated to use. Change orders, as they often change or cancel, are difficult to change in the software.

Thanks for the review Steven! We would love to chat more about change orders as well as any other areas of the system that are presenting challenges. Someone from our training department will be in touch with you to coordinate additional training to help with this.

LR

Lauren R.

Glass, Ceramics & Concrete,

SQL Foundations

Pros

It is dependable. I have worked at many other companies where the system would go down for unknown periods of time. That's not the case with Foundations. I've been working on it for over 2 years and the only conflicts we had was with Windows 10 and a sleep schedule of a monitor causing error boxes to populate as if the system had not been used for an extended period, and it was really easy to fix. I...

Cons

Flexibility. We utilize excel to compensate for what Foundations lacks. For instance tracking projects quantities. The engineer at the company and project manager don't find Foundations user friendly or to be flexible enough to handle evolving projects.