FOUNDATION Logo

FOUNDATION

Construction accounting software for managing job costing

FOUNDATION Reviews

4.2

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.16/10

Reviews by rating

It has been fantastic, webinars are great for refreshers or learning something new or training a new employee.
Customer care and tech support are great. They will help you with anything you need.
Extremely happy with the product. Very functional and great value for money.
One of my most common complaints regarding accounting systems is the lack of support. That has never been a problem with FOUNDATION since we began recommending them in 2000.

WT

Wendy T.

Happy new customer!

We are very new to using the software and are still learning, however, we are very happy with all aspects of the software and find it very easy to use and get the help we need when we need it.

Pros

Very user friendly, great trainer and customer service

Cons

We like everything about this software so far.

KC

Kelly C.

Outstanding Product

Amazing, simply amazing!

Pros

The ease of use. Coming into this business where the software was already in use, I had to teach myself how to use it. When I didn't understand something all I had to do was make a phone call and I had help. Very friendly, knowledgeable associates to walk me through anything I needed and explain everything. When I needed to software to do something for me and it didn't all I had to do was make a phone...

Cons

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get our sub-contract agreement incorporated into Foundation so the software can do that for us, instead of us having to do it manually. Its not a Con, just still haven't figured it out. There are no cons to this software that I have found.

Thanks for such an awesome review, Kelly! Welcome to FOUNDATION and congrats on your self-taught success! It's great to hear that our Client Support Team has been able to assist you above your expectations. I'd like to have someone from our team reach to you to see what we can do about our subcontract agreements. Let me know of a time that's convenient for you. I'd be happy to set something up. Thanks again Kelly! -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

SM

Savi M.

Utilities, 201-500 employees

Plenty to offer but not optimized for practical use.

It is a good construction accounting system with a bunch of good features and modules but dated methods of data entry. some features are really good, but many are duplicated, time consuming and prone to mistakes at times. e.g. Control date in AP module -option to prevent you entering any out-of-date invoices - it doesn't do the job, it lets you post it whenever you like for year 2000, 1930 or 2250...

Pros

It has more modules to offer for construction companies comparatively other accounting software.It gets the job done.

Cons

1. Many modules to offer but many basic features not available. e.g. Payroll module fully functional but no option to print Corrected W2 and when contact support, they say we do not have that functionality and go to IRS website to print one. 2. Many functions on daily basis cancel each other out or overlap. e.g. Equipment module & Payroll module for work orders.3. Permission levels not optimized for...

MG

Melinda G.

Mining & Metals, 51-200 employees

Most Intuitive Software I've Ever Used

Very happy with Foundation. Would recommend to anyone in the construction business.

Pros

Anything new I need to do, Foundation already has a solution. They are always ahead of me. For example, the COVID sick pay last year. And their support people are very helpful in listening to you and offering a solution for whatever you are trying to accomplish. All the modules work similarly. Easy to learn once you know one.

Cons

A/R Cannot repeat an invoice number on different customers. A/P Doesn't not show amount left to distribute between accounts, only amount already distributed.

Thanks for the awesome review, Melinda! We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we're happy to hear we 're hitting the mark for you, both in product and support. I'd like to have someone from our team reach out to you to discuss your AP and AR concerns in more detail. Let me know of a time that's convenient for you and I'll get that set up. Thanks again! -Robin, Client Success Advocate, rmo@foundationsoft.com

Construction, 11-50 employees

I used to LOVE Foundation Customer Support.....Used to!!!!

When I get the help it so helpful but, getting it is the issue.

Pros

I first began using Foundation in 2015 at a previous company and just loved it. I always got a call right back for customer support. The videos were fantastic, everything I was doing was interesting and with so much ease. When I took over the office for my current company it took over a year for me to finally get my boss agree to the change from Sage to Foundation but, I explained the significant increase in cost was so worth it! I finally got the green light and was sooo excited to have Foundation back! I was mostly excited about the customer service I was going to be receiving!

Cons

Implementation has been AWFUL! Customer service response time has been a NIGHTMARE! Not what I was expecting :-( Initially, the training scheduled was a weekly thing, more often my meetings began to get cancelled. Once I sent an email to a different trainer in my group expressing a little frustration I was never again put on calendar for training. I was not even informed if it was all finalized. No...

KH

Kirk H.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Be Careful. Implementation is PAINFUL and we never got it to work after 10 months

Overall experience was incredibly poor. I wish I would have stuck with my gut, got an accounting software and used HCSS Heavyjob for daily costs and timecards. I tried to go on the cheap with a company that I thought could do both, and would be better for a smaller contractor. They are not and act like they are a player when in reality none of their systems work like the true players products in the industry.

Pros

I am having trouble finding anything I liked. We tried to implement and get on line for 10 months, never got across the finish line. Billing is clunky and grid timecards don't work on a tablet without being web based. Customer service is slow to respond to questions. I would look at others. It was a costly lesson to me.

Cons

Implementation was horrible, unplanned and without script. Again, in 10 months we could never get it to fully work. Cost us a lot of money and time we didn't have to spare. Absolutely ZERO SENSE OF URGENCY on the implementation team. None. You get your hour training 1-2 times per week and that is it. Also, cannot take credit card payments nor is the billing convenient if you work on a lot of small jobs. You will spend more time inputting than the work takes.

Hi Kirk, Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience, but I really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. We're normally known for our exceptional communication, support and attention to detail across all of our clients, but we regret that your experience didn't live up to those expectations. We would like the opportunity to talk and investigate your feedback further, so one of our Implementation Managers will be in touch to talk with you directly. Until then, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help! -Robin, Client Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

CW

Collette W.

Great Accounting Software for Construction

We run a lot of jobs, so it is great at tracking each one

Pros

I have used Foundation for 12+ years. We were going to switch a couple years ago, but the other software did not have as many features as Foundation so we stayed.

Cons

The program itself could be updated a little to look more like windows.

Hi Collette! Thank you for your great review! We're so happy to hear that you decided to stay with us and that our features are such a great asset to you. As a company we are always striving to make improvements and appreciate the feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you are having great success with tracking your jobs. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to reach out. Dawn, Client Success Representative - dode@foundationsoft.com

AH

Adam H.

Review of Product Software

High powered and excellent for running your back office systems.

Pros

The integration of Foundation into our existing process systems has been seamless. The accounts payable and receivable modules as well as the payroll system, are a must for our company. Great platform for everyday use

Cons

Well designed software with few limitations. We are well pleased.

Hi Adam! Thank you for your great review. We appreciate the feedback and are thrilled to hear our software has integrated well with your business and we are meeting the needs of your team. We look forward to providing you the quality product you expect for years to come. Thanks for being part of the FOUNDATION family. Please let me know if you need anything. Always happy to help. Thanks again Adam! -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

BM

Brian M.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Electrical Contractor Review of Foundation

We chose Foundation for it's array of features, depth of reports, its customization options, and its affordability. Much cheaper than buying software that you have to pay per user access fees for. There are quirks, but once you understand the system, it's generally easy to navigate and manage them. Extremely feature rich. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

Incredible amount of features, options, and reporting functionality. Can pretty much do anything you would ever want to do, accounting-wise. Project Management module pays for itself. Other customization options are very nice. Price is extremely attractive for amount of features in the software. Customer support is A+++++.

Cons

Very steep learning curve, to use advanced features. Genie is a pain and really cumbersome, probably my least favorite part of the software, even though it's sold as a great feature. Software isn't always forgiving about mistakes, but customer support makes up for it.

CB

Crystal B.

Foundation software

Have been using for 9 years . Love it but training is expensive

Pros

Does everything you may want or need in accounting software. Even has areas we don't use. Prior to Foundation we used three different programs to track payroll, A/P, and A/R.

Cons

Tracking taxes across different states for monthly reporting difficult. Some manual work required to report accurately.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Crystal! We're thrilled to hear you love using FOUNDATION, and we love having you as a client. If there's ever anything else we can do for you, please let us know! // -Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

DF

Doreen F.

Construction, 501-1,000 employees

Great Union Payroll System

We have a very complicated payroll for the simple fact that we are a multi state, multi union company. This means many different rates of pay, taxation tables and unions, as well as our Administration and Shop payrolls. P4C thru Foundation has been able to handle this with ease and I really am happy with the service they have provided to us in the past 2 1/2 years. I hope to continue a much longer relationship with them. Whenever a support call is logged, usually one of the 2 reps. call back almost immediately and help work through any issue, no matter how long it takes. They are personable and professional and always helpful. Reliable system, easy time entry and reports generated are very easy to read.

Pros

I love the fact that P4C can handle all of our multi state and multi union (sometimes up to 55 different unions) Time entry is very easy, and includes attaching hours to jobs and tasks with ease. The system is very user friendly and the Support staff is phenomanal. Generates great union reports, job costing and also great HR reports as well, such as 401k reporting. We can process same day layoff checks...

Cons

I don't like that if i have multiple payroll cycles computed and i have to purge one, that it will purge ALL computed cycles, not just the one I had chosen.

TH

Tryn H.

Construction, 11-50 employees

User of Foundation for 14 1/2 yrs.

I have been working with and using Foundation for 14 1/2 yrs. They have always worked with me in anything that I may need, they are friendly and very supportive. Foundation is a Great accounting software, especially for construction, due to the easiness and detailed information and tracking that it provides, especially if you do Job Costing. I even had some very complex financials I had to do over the years with division reporting that Foundation was there to help me with. We also work through the Cloud with Foundation (Saas) and I love it. It is so much easier and they do all the updates! I definitely recommend using Foundation as your accounting software.

Pros

Foundation is pretty user friendly. I use this software for a total of 8 of my companies, mostly and mainly for construction. It provides all the reporting and tracking that you will ever need. We are currently using the GL, AR, AP, PR and Job Costing modules. I have had very complex situations over the years that where a challenge for me in the reporting area and Foundation was always there for me in setting up things the way I needed them.

Cons

I cannot say that there is anything I do not like about this Software.

Hi Tryn! Thanks so much for the awesome review. It means the world to us. We strive to provide a great product and are thrilled to hear we've met that mark for you, your team and your companies over the years. Thanks for being a long-time partner with FOUNDATION. We look forward to many more years with you. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm happy to help. Robin, Client Success Advocate, rmo@foundtionsoft.com

SG

Stephanie G.

Construction,

Considering moving back to QuickBooks or another product

Pros

The thing I really like is that we can process Multi-state payroll on all our employees on 1 check, whereas before on Quick Books we had to give each employee 2 payroll checks.

Cons

Their trainers and support staff do not know every piece of the system, yet we as users are supposed to know everything. We have had to call support numerous times on one issue because during setup with our trainer he did not know to select check boxes to activate accruals. By the way you have several different screens to setup 1 item so it functions properly. Also, we came from Quick Books where...

Dear Stephanie, Thank you for taking the time to review our software. We are sorry to hear that you’ve had anything less than a positive experience with FOUNDATION. A member from our Client Advocate team will be in touch to talk about and help resolve the various issues that you have outlined. Our main priority is to get you the tools and resources that are needed for you and your company to successfully use FOUNDATION. Please do know that you can call us at any time with questions or for additional help; we are at your service.

CB

Catherina B.

Great Software

Foundation really makes Payroll easy, we do ODOT jobs and they are compatible with the Electronic CRL Ashtoware programs required by ODOT

Pros

We do our payroll in house and the Foundation Payroll Module is the best that I have used

Cons

Reporting under Account Receivable could be better, you can work around it.

Hi Cathy, Thank you for leaving such a great review! It means the world to us! It's great to hear you not only love our product and service, but you carried it with you from one company to another. We're thrilled you've stayed with us and we look forward to continuing our relationship with you and your new team! Please let me know if you need anything, I'm always happy to help. Thanks again, Cathy! - Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

PB

Pamela B.

BEST ACCOUNTING SYSTEM I HAVE USED

We found that FSI handles all our needs from accounting to very detailed job costing entries that we need. Payroll with the FSI job costing module is very easy....and give us exactly what we need.

Pros

Ease of use and I think more importantly....if I have a problem, the staff at FSI returns calls, fixes the problems, and makes sure they have corrected anything necessary. Always professional and courteous.

Cons

Haven't really found any feature I don't like or use.

Hi Pam, Thank you for sharing your kind words about FOUNDATION Software. It means the world to us and to our entire team! We strive to provide a great product and great service. We're happy we have continued to do that for you. We are thrilled to have you as a long-time part of the FOUNDATION family and look forward to our continued relationship. Please reach out if need anything. Thanks again. -Robin, Client Advocate, rmo@foundationsoft.com

AN

Annette N.

Love FOUNDATION Software

The accounting Feature in FOUNDATION is so easy to use...you enter the data and it takes care of the rest. Reports you can print help save the company time and money, and all you have to do is hit print. FOUNDATION even allows you to Export the report into an Excel file that you can easily sort.

Pros

Every aspect of FOUNDATION is user friendly! If I do run into issues, they have the most amazing support team I have ever been in contact with. FOUNDATION takes care of every function in the Construction business, including keeping your inventory for you so you don't have to spend the entire weekend crunching numbers. I have never spoken to a more happy support team than the one FOUNDATION has...they choose and train their employees with utmost care, and they are extremely patient and accommodating if you don't understand after they have explained. They spend the necessary time with you to help you understand every aspect.

Cons

I have had one instance where I couldn't get something from the software that I didn't want. Lo and Behold it was added in the next software update. FOUNDATION listens to their customers and makes improvements based on those suggestions.

TS

Talisha S.

Utilities, 11-50 employees

Highly Dissapointing

Promises promises. Sales people will tell you anything to get you to make the purchase. Then you can expect to be hit whit a lot of "no! the software cannot do that", "you'll have to use a workaround", and "There is no easy way around that". Every transaction takes an additional couple steps in comparison to other accounting software. You cannot write a simple check without entering an invoice or using...

Pros

Increases job security because there are not many people who already know how to use the system, so once you are that person in your company you are valuable. Custom reporting is nice

Cons

Lack of tax reports and tax information availability for reporting taxes. Difficult processes, too many restrictions where they shouldn't be and not enough where there should. Most of the system is a Con.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with our Manager of Training about the frustrations that you addressed in your review. As discussed, a trainer will be contacting you shortly to discuss these items thoroughly and work together toward resolving them. Our goal is to provide you with all of the tools needed to successfully use FOUNDATION and ensure that the software is working optimally for your business. Please feel free to contact us at any time with your questions or concerns. We are here to serve you.

CE

Cheryl E.

Joseph M Zimmer

We had a wonderful experience from start to finish. Your team made our conversion from on old SAGE product to your so easy and the training was great.

Pros

We love the customer support . We log a call and within the hour we have someone on the phone ready to help us solve our problem.

Cons

We have a Contractor who refuses to let us use AIA provided to do his billing, they have bastardized the AIA just so everyone has to use theirs. I wish Foundations could add this contractors version to the drop down.

Hi Cheryl! Thank you for leaving such a great review! It means the world to us! It's great to hear you not only love our product and client support, but you carried FOUNDATION with you to Joseph M Zimmer. We appreciate your support! As far as the industry standard AIA's go, you are not alone. My suggestion is to submit a Program Change Request and get added to the list of those who would like to see some customization options in the future. Please let me know if you need assistance with that. I am always happy to help. Thanks again, Cheryl! -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

MA

Marcus A.

Simple Review

Pros

Customer Support. They work with you in solving issues and creating solutions.

Cons

Tedious to add simple notes to entries. Can be clunky compared to other software.

Hi Marcus! Thanks for leaving such a positive review. We appreciate your kind words and are happy to hear our Client Support Team has been doing an awesome job for you and your team. We strive to provide great software and technical support and we're happy we are meeting that mark with you. Thanks again and we look forward to continuing to provide the service and product you expect from us. -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

RR

Randy R.

Not very good

Honestly the benefit I got was to see that you really need to do your homework before making a purchase. Especially one of this magnitude.

Pros

I wish I could say I like this product. I had very high hopes that it would bring us to a new level of business. It certainly looks like it can.

Cons

Well, we spent a lot of money on training for our company to use it. But I really believe you need a solid background in accounting to utilize it best. Not the most visually pleasing software. In a society where software companies are making visually stunning improvements while simultaneously creating better updates. They have been a bit slacked. It took us a year for us to see it was too difficult for us to continue using it. But we gave it every chance.

Randy, We are sorry to hear that your company is having issues using FOUNDATION. You are correct that FOUNDATION is a robust construction accounting system and is intended to help growing construction companies advance to a new level of business. We will have a training manager reach out to you this week to talk about your specific concerns. Our hope is that we can continue working together and provide what you need to make FOUNDATION the valuable tool that you expected for your company. We look forward to speaking with you. -Robin, FOUNDATION Software

AJ

Alyson J.

AMAZING Software

Pros

EVERYTHING!! The support and knowledge of the employees is nothing that I've every seen before. Extremely professional and polite. Always updating the system with more efficient ways to work and short cuts that save on time. So many opportunities to learn more about how the software works with videos, online calls, classes to attend in person.

Cons

Everything has been so amazing per our company that I can't think of anything that I like least.

Hi Alyson! Thank you for your awesome review! We're thrilled to hear you not only love the functionality of our software but also the Client Support products and services we provide. Thanks for being part of our FOUNDATION family. We look forward to our continued relationship with you and your team at Chapin Concrete Contractors. Please reach out if you need anything! -Robin, Client Success Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

MK

Mandi K.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a low voltage electrical/telecommunications company that started in June 2006. In 2009 our company was beginning to outgrow the capacity of Quickbooks. We needed something that would give us a more in depth look at job costing as well as track our expenses and all other apsects of doing business. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into and how far we could take Foundation. We implemented...

BS

Barb S.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Very poor for anything with sales - we have aggregate sales.

Not accommodating - "we don't have that".

Pros

For my area of use I don't like anything.

Cons

My area deals with aggregate sales and billing for hauling to customers. Not user friendly. Difficult to get our scale system info to import. Invoicing is ridiculous in amount of steps it takes just to enter info.

Hi Barb! Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your thoughts about FOUNDATION. I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with how the software is performing for you. Our goal is to provide a comprehensive and reliable product for all of our clients and we regret that your experience has not lived up to those expectations. We would like the opportunity to talk with you and further discuss your areas of concern. Please let me know of a good time to reach you and someone from our management team will call to talk with you directly. I look forward to hearing from you and please let me know if you need anything further. I'm happy to help! -Robin, Client Advocate rmo@foundationsoft.com

CH

Chrissy H.

Wonderful!

Pros

Consistency through various modules; to clarify the steps are similar in the various modules, which I have found makes the software extremely user friendly and not difficult to train employees who have no experience with the software.

Cons

When exporting some reports to Excel; I have had some issues with formatting, the Excel version of the report may need to be manipulated/adjusted to use

Thank you for the kind words Chrissy! We are glad to hear FOUNDATION is working well for your company. If you would like to speak further on the Excel formatting please do not hesitate to call our Support Department. We are always happy to help and may be able to offer some tips. Thanks again!

SK

Steve K.

This reviewer only left a rating

In early 2013 we made the decision to transition our company from the traditional server-based construction accounting software that we had used for over 20 years, to a cloud-based system. We were looking for a solid, reliable software solution that would run on the cloud without sacrificing accuracy, functionality, or speed of entry. After looking at demos of several different products we decided...