SmartBid

Construction bid management for general contractors

SmartBid Reviews

Pros

The new interface is definitely better and cleaner. As long as you make it clear with your invitees what are they going to receive and what they need to do, it is a very nice tool to have.

Jose A. I.

It's easy to customize to your liking. The best feature is the capability to create notes for each contractor contacted, and keep track of their bidding status throughout the bid timeline.

Cade D.

Todd H.

The user interface needs to be updated. It is very difficult to understand how to send out even basic invitations to bid without the assistance of someone that has used the program for several months.

Kohl K.

Also, It is difficult to send a quick email, e.g. there is a lot of setup to do before shooting a re-bid to a selected group or particular package.

Jose A. I.

4.4

Very effective bidding tool!!

Saved time (which equals $$$) and now we have a great place to store our bid documents, and easily distribute them to all of our subcontractors and suppliers!!

Pros

As a general contractor/construction manager firm, we use SmartBid on almost all of our projects. It's a great tool to let our subcontractors and suppliers know what projects we're bidding on, and ensure we have proper coverage for the scope of work involved. I was part of the initial setup when our company first began using SmartBid. We used to make a "call list" and someone would actually call up to a few hundred subs and suppliers for every project we bid. WOW. I can't believe we wasted so much time! Now, just a few clicks of a button and all of our bidding documents are in one, easily accessible place, and all the appropriate subs and suppliers are notified! Amazing!

Cons

The initial setup was a bit time-consuming. This was partly due to our own company's massively outdated subcontractor and supplier list. Most of our time was spent "trimming the fat" and updating old contact information. There are also limited user profiles, when it would be nice to have more people in our company be able to interact with SmartBid.

Smartbid- Great for general contractors!

The benefits included are ease of access, multi user capability, subcontractor functions, and the blast emailing projects out to get the project to as many subcontractors as possible. We like the fact that it is cost efficient and allows our subcontractor pool to benefit from the program as well. You can also import public data agency information that includes new subcontractors.

Pros

I enjoy that smartbid streamlines the bidding process in construction. It allows you to upload drawings & specifications, as well as selecting trades to solicit to easily. Most bidding softwares are too complex for small subcontractors to understand and easily access documents. Smartbid offers ease of use for these subcontractors as well as allowing subcontractors to benefit the way the general contractor is. Having the availability to create takeoffs in Smartbid for the subcontractors you invite is so important.

Cons

The only thing I struggle with for Smartbid is the options to having subcontractors change their information within the program. We would like to see that subcontractors can update their license information as well as contacts for their company. Hopefully changes will be made in the future to allow these features to be utilized.

There are more affordable options

It did get us out in touch with the trades, but the coverage was week.

Pros

I do like the way a project is created and the publishing features. I do feel that it was advantageous in the way we were able to take a project that we were going to bid and get the information out to the trades

Cons

I hated the fact that their database is so out of date. Many times our bid invite was going out to the wrong person or that person was no longer with the company. The software needs some form of check and balance to ensure that the information is accurate and that companies are keeping thier information correct.

Hi Todd, Thank you for your review! In SmartBid, clients primarily rely on results from their own private database, which they alone maintain. Use of our SmartInsight database of contractors is included with SmartBid as an additional resource for those situations where you will need additional subcontractor coverage, and is especially helpful when you find that you're bidding in a market...

Smartbid

My experience with Smartbid could not be better. We use the program everyday, and update as much as necessary. It is highly recommended in my opinion.

Pros

Great software to organize all of your Subcontractors and Vendors. Very easy to edit, add, or delete company names and contacts. Many categories for each company, including work types, DBE choices, unique categories to your company. Many fields get pre-filled, and make it quick to input data. Great reporting, exporting, and sending single or mass emails. Updates for bids or just company reports.

Cons

There are so many features, sometimes users can double up information. It's better to keep track of what users can modify specific items within each company. It's easy to have multiple entries of the same company. So user monitoring is key.

Smartbid for soliciting proposals

We use this software during the bidding process. It gives me the ability to add contacts, change addresses, email, ect. with ease. Quick communication options such as email solicitations or faxes if needed. The reports help, as well as creating Non Disclosure agreements. Adding files and having security control of who views those files is a big benefit.

Pros

User friendly, and easy to navigate the site. Not too many clicks of the mouse, and has the ability to add and delete unwanted fields. Very fast and friendly customer support for easy or hard questions.

Cons

Not too many cons. I am a big fan of this software for the use of getting quotes for bids.

Powerful bid management software

Pros

It gives you all you need to manage a bidding process. - multiple divisions - pick the trades based on so many items, like area code, location, division and etc. - track who has been reviewing the document, who is interested who is not and etc - customised tender packages And lots of other features

Cons

Weak in searching- you should know how exactly the trade has been saved, otherwise you should try multiple entries. It’s tricky to add new contacts to the trades and send the invitation for a recent tender It is not that much user friendly and needs time to be expert

The right tool for the job in regard to construction management bidding services.

Great product, open API, and pretty good customer support. Its between this and building connected, but Smart Bid trumps Building connected because it does not require sub contractors to login.

Pros

The ease of use and the right amount of customization. The learning curve is present, but should not hinder a person that is at least somewhat comfortable with computer use. A great product that streamlines the bid process and allows the user the ability to tune the it to their needs.

Cons

The incorporation of the pre-qual process and other administrative tools into the software can be a bit clunky, but they still work, however, they require a bit more fiddling with.

Works Great

Overall this is a tool that works if you work it. Usability is key when using any bidding software. Detail used in this program is very helpful.

Pros

The break downs and overall features of this product make it very useful for bidding large projects.

Cons

I think if the communication section could be more personalized so it seems as if the user is sending a email directly and not through smart bid. Most people are overrun in emails and a personalized touch may invite more participants to open there email. Does not update the date without refreshing the page. gets confusing when making calls.

This is a bid database that my company uses for the bid process for construction projects.

An up to date database that can be filtered to different areas depending on where the project is located.

Pros

We are able to store potentiometer trade partners and send out communications regarding projects with ease. Trade partners are able to respond to the bid invitation and they are able to upload their proposal.

Cons

This software still has a couple of kinks. If at anytime you click the back button, you will be required to log back into the program.

SmartBid has been very easy to learn and navigate as I learn the ins and outs of it.

The main benefit from this software is just the saving of time. What could take up to half my day, I can accomplish in the matter of an hour. The ease of use and time saving have been truly helpful.

Pros

I love the ease of use and the ability to distribute the information we need to get to our subs with such ease. The program is easy to use, but does not lack in its capabilities. For bidding purposes it makes my life so much easier knowing all the available information is getting distributed to everyone that needs to see it.

Cons

I have not come across any cons while working with the software. The only issue I have when using this is selecting the contractors to send bids to, but that is just because it is a strain on the eyes.

This reviewer only left a rating

JE Dunn Construction is an ENR top 20 General Contractor with offices from Charlotte, NC to Seattle, WA. We have been using SmartBidNet nationally since March of 2010 and regionally in the Southeast for another year prior to that. Before using SmartBidNet, we used iSqFt for several years and several other systems including Pipeline and BidFax. SmartBidNet is the right bid management software package...

PreConstruction and PreQualification Solution

Pros

This software is easy to use, customizable, and their customer service is excellent. yet to find a software that compares.

Cons

I would like if it was dummed down a bid for subcontractors. I dont like they have to create a login.

Chris - Thank you for the review and feedback! I wanted to make sure you knew that subcontractors are not required to create a login - they are giving an access code to your project in the email you send and can view documents and bid project details quickly and easily. If you have any doubt, please reach out to support@smartbidnet.com so they can walk you through the process your subs encounter!

Love the endless features

We have been using iSqFt for so long until we stumbled on this amazing product. Absolutely love it. Its very simple to use and got tons of more features. I actually never thought I would use the "Activity" feature . We used this to show the sub when the email we sent was opened and read and held him accountable for the changes he said he never was aware of. Also, there are constant updates and enhancements made to the program based on user review and comments, which is wonderful.

Pros

Features and ease of use

Cons

For users of old fashioned software's, It has a learning curve

Kalpana - Thank you for the honest feedback and review! We're working on some updates to the system that will surely solve any existing learning curves. Please let us know if we can help you further at support@smartbidnet.com. - Liz Welsh, Marketing Director

Great Bid Software for GC's

SmartBid is a great resource especially for contractors that bid in multiple markets. Our sub database on SmartBid consists of thousands of subcontractors that work with our six regional offices across the US. Our primary precon department is located at our headquarters in Michigan, and often have to support our other offices with estimation. The software makes it easy to find qualified subs with...

Pros

Very easy to pick up the basics, and a very powerful database tool.

Cons

Some of the more in depth features could be very powerful but it would require having more time or assistants to setup for each project.

SmartBidNet

SmartBid is a fantastic resource that enables us to send out bid invitations to our choice of subs at the click of a few buttons.

Pros

Being able to quickly let our subs know new information at a moments notice.

Cons

Kohl - Thank you for the honest feedback and review! We're working on some updates to the system that will get users up and running quicker. In the meantime, please note you can schedule live, one-on-one training at any time with our Customer Service team. Please let us know if we can help you further at support@smartbidnet.com. - Liz Welsh, Marketing Director

SmartBid - Review

Overall, SmartBid is great! It is very user friendly and is a huge help in the project bidding process!

Pros

I love the ability to compile lists of subcontractors in a database form where we can search them and send Invitations To Bid to them with ease by sending to any subcontractor in a certain area(state/area code/zip code/etc.)

Cons

I really cant think of anything that I do not like about SmartBid.

I loved smartbid and I was sad to say goodbye. It was just too much money for a small company

We found a more affordable program that is better suited for our small business. But it didn't really compare. It is the closest thing we have found but it's not smartbid! Great job programmers!!

Pros

I can't say enough about the pros. It was truly a wonderful software program I loved it all. So easy

Cons

It was a bit intimidating at first and took some time to learn. But once I did, nothing really compares. Customer service was exceptional except the quality of the call sounded at times like it was a bad connection Like the Audio was in a tunnel. And some customer service reps had very strong accents.

Efficient and organized bid management system

Pros

The product is organized in a functional manner and offers great flexibility for the reality that every project is a little different and needs to be handled slightly differently.

Cons

Since it is web-based, I can utilize the software anywhere, even from a tablet. The only wish I have for this product is future development of the mobile app. That said, the app still does offer some useful functionality.

Subcontractors side

Pros

Communication is the biggest thing for me. Submitting submittals is easier through the website. The cost is really a plus for small business owners.

Cons

None so far. So far I have not any issue that I could not resolve myself. Easy to use and manage. I feel confident that if I need customer service I will not have any problems.

Great for Our Estimators

Great program to send out mass emails for estimates large or small

Pros

There is nothing better than having management software do the work for you. This estimating tool manages large and small estimates with ease. I love sending quick emails for addenda, adding new subs and making this way easier than bogging down emails

Cons

I wish it had a few more integration tools but those could honestly be built into the program as we have not even begun to use this program as effectively as we could be.

This reviewer only left a rating

We were using a bid invite program our company had developed 6 years ago when we started to have problems with the dependability of it. Invites weren't getting sent and our ability to bring in a broad base of sub bids was diminished. We were suffering from lack of work and decided to solve the problem. After searching and talking with subcontractors and competitors we decided to use SmartBidNet...

Pretty Good

This software is pretty good, Need to show contact's cell phone number in all views. Overall it does what we want the software to do.

Cons

Matt - Thank you for the honest feedback and review! I'll make sure our product team sees this note. Please let us know if we can help you further at support@smartbidnet.com. - Liz Welsh, Marketing Director

Features and ease of use

Cons

Hi Amber, thank you for taking the time to add a review of the system! I think that with all the features we've added at request of clients, there is definitely a lot for a new user to consider. The way we help users overcome this is with free training. In addition to our offering of weekly webinars for both new and advanced users, we set up group sessions with our new clients and personal sessions for new users in the areas they need it. Just reach out to our Customer Service if you find you need this!

Smartbid is a very good platform for invitations to bid.

Pros

Allows you to view a project, and also download plans indicate whether you will be bidding. We do not utilize this software as a company but use it through our GC's.

Cons

Sometimes when downloading a large bid package the downloading of the zip file will freeze. You have to start over and sometimes it takes a while to download, I am not sure if that is because of our bandwidth or Smartbid's issue.

Evan Jakel Review

This system is helpful in many ways and we use it for all our projects. I do have a few comments/suggestions. I do not like our some trades are linked together automatically, ex. when drywall is tagged is automatically tags finish carpentry. I wish there was a way to filter the invites with union and non-union subs. I know non-union subs do not like receiving invites for union jobs. I also...

Pros

Please read prior page.

Cons

Please read prior page.

Evan - Thank you for the feedback and review! I'll be sure our Customer Service team gets these notes. Please let us know if we can help you further at support@smartbidnet.com. - Liz Welsh, Marketing Director