All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Alpha Anywhere

Low-code mobile & web app development and deployment

Alpha Anywhere Reviews

Reviews Summary

Stephen G.

Frank W.

Read the full review
A great tool to get things done quickly. Fantastic support, tutorials and documentation.

Jaco B.

Read the full review

Cons

The development platform has a tendency to be unstable.

Read the full review
I have no formal programing training other than self taught knowledge.

4.8

THE Application Development Platform for Web and Mobile

First, a confession: I'm a former MS Access developer (please don't judge me!). I converted to Access from DOS-based dBase IV. I discovered Alpha 5, several years ago, from an e-mail ad (that's what it used to be called... it became "Alpha Anywhere" a couple of years ago in order to highlight its ability to develop on multiple platforms). The offered a free trial, so I decided to give it a try....

Pros

Flexibility in choosing the platform and destination and flexibility in choosing the back-end data set. I love how much you can do, without having to resort to writing code

Cons

I wish there was a place I could call, when I ran into an obstacle. If I can't get an answer to my problem, I have to hire an independent consultant on an hourly basis. I'd rather pay a fee to get access to a phone line that could help me.

Thanks for your feedback, Philip!

Great WEB and Mobile Rapid Application Development software

I have no formal programing training other than self taught knowledge. I was using Delphi to create desktop applications for tracking to progress of building permit through the review and inspection process. I was hoping to move from a desktop application to a web based application and was looking for a easy to use platform to develop Web based application. At some point I discovered Alpha software...

Pros

The ability to develop very robust web based an mobile applications with little coding. The applications I have developed are very stable in use.

Cons

The development platform has a tendency to be unstable. It is not unusual for the software to lock up during use. I have used the software on a number of machines with similar results, it can just lock up with no recovery at any time. I would recommend saving work often. The platform uses a number of programing languages such as, HTML, JavaScript, Jason, and Xbasic. Each is a little different and can get frustrating when coding.

Decent software

Pros

The software makes it easy to create a quick and dirty application in little time as long as it is a simple application

Cons

Complicated applications require a very advanced understanding of javascript and xbasic. The annual cost that Alpha Software charges increases a lot every time that I renew the licence.

Hi, Randy - We appreciate your review of Alpha Software. Thank you! Re: Complexity - Consider Alpha Mentoring for help you with any challenges you run into. Or consider our no-code product Alpha TransForm, https://www.alphasoftware.com/alpha-transform-overview-and-free-trial Re: Pricing - Historically, we've kept our prices extremely low and have slowly increased price to reflect advanced and...

Professional Caliber Rapid Development Software

Have been using Alpha Anywhere for a few years. It has allowed me to build and deploy a completely custom web application with a SQL database backend complete with administration tools, inventory lists, purchasing, email notifications and full featured reporting.

Pros

Development with this software is extremely rapid. I really like that Alpha Anywhere does the heavy lifting in terms of taking care of all the behind the scene coding. Yet at the same time you are completely free to customize any and all code to your hearts content. In that regard it is the perfect software for both the novice and seasoned pro. Alpha is continually moving forward with new and exciting capabilities. Support is great and the online Forum community is vibrant, active and willing to help when needed.

Cons

Maybe a little expensive for non-corporate customers.

Easy to use yet powerful

Developed multiple products over a period of 5 years. They all run in the browser so suitable for Intranet and Internet. My applications are always heavy in data. I need tools to connect to databases and tools to visualise the data. Alpha allows custom HTML, CSS and Javascript there is nearly no restriction on using 3rd party libraries.

Pros

Simple to build complex security. Connects seamlessly to multiple data sources. No restriction on how many database connections per page. The message board is well supported. There are 1,000 plus short videos that explain most features. You can always add to the basic structure whether it is Bootstrap or AngularJS

Cons

Sometimes if you are determined to use your own CSS and Html within a component then there is a little work to neutralise the base Alpha page setup.

A powerful tool that is easy to integrate with external services

Alpha Anywhere allows you to build powerful web applications (both mobile and desktop) at a fraction of the cost/time vs. using open source tools. One thing that has really improved in the last few years is they have made it very easy to integrate Alpha Anywhere with external services like Stripe, PhoneGap, Mandrill, Amazon etc. and if you want you can easily roll your own integration with their easy to use Node.js tools. End users (at least in my case) expect to be able to integrate their data with the popular sites they use and Alpha Anywhere makes this possible. The ability to code where you want and drag and drop at other times also makes the development environment a pleasure to work with.

Pros

-Includes numerous built-in-features such as mapping integration, calendar, PhoneGap. -Speed to develop. -Supportive User Community -Reasonable price

Cons

None

Alpha Anywhere is a great development tool.

I've been using Alpha Anywhere for over 8 years and have developed a plethora of commercial applications for a wide range of industries. I've been strictly a web developer with recent mobile applications development. I cannot say enough good things about Alpha Anywhere and the team behind it. The software is always being enriched with new capabilities and functionality. There is a terrific support team that responds quickly to any request. And there is a community of developers that is always willing to help. I recommend Alpha to every developer and enterprise that has a goal of developing high quality web and mobile applications.

Pros

Full featured and constantly improving.

Cons

There is so much to this product that at times it is difficult to find the functionality that I'm looking for.

Alpha user for over 20 years

I have used Alpha Software in its various forms since 1993, starting with the DOS version, then moving to the Windows version, and now the web and mobile version. We use it exclusively in this office to create custom applications for businesses. We are a two person shop and tie this RAD product to MS SQL Server for the back-end database. What keeps us using Alpha is its constant innovation in the product and its response to developers' requests. On at least two occasions, I have requested minor changes to the interface and those requests have been implemented within 24 hours. Keep up the good work, Alpha Software.

Pros

Ease of use, wide variety of features, how it ties into SQL and javascript

Cons

Not widely known and often have to explain to clients who Alpha Software is

Unbeatable multi-platform development environment

We use Alpha Anywhere in our development shops in the UK and Indonesia having switched from Microsoft products back in 2012. The move to Alpha has meant that we can build systems more quickly, for more platforms (including mobile and apps) and using a wider range of "standard" technologies than we previously had access to via MS development tools. Highly recommended both to software houses and in-house corporate developers.

Pros

great support from developers, multi-platform, "does everything"

Cons

the systems and apps developed sometimes need a visual "polish" (the built-in templates/designs are being refreshed I believe)

Alpha Anywhere - flexible, powerful, affordable

We use Alpha Anywhere to quickly build very solid apps for clients. This solution ensures speed, flexible and reliability, thus enhancing productivity and leading to happy and satisfied clients.

Pros

The thing I like best about Alpha Anywhere is how incredibly easy it is use it, even for users that aren't experienced. Another thing is that's, considering the features it's packed with, it's really quite affordable. Most other solutions with similar features are far more expensive than Alpha Anywhere. I also love the support I get from the team behind this software. They're great to work with, knowledgeable and constantly improving the product.

Cons

The only thing I can complain about is the rather limited documentation, though it's not really a big problem as the software is very easy to use and they have great support if one ever needs them.

Thanks for the review, Frank. We're pleased to hear you enjoy the product. We are continually working to improve our documentation and appreciate the feedback.

It is powerful, but it is not as easy as they would claim it to be.

Easy application development.

Pros

It is a powerful solution for highly customized applications. It allows creating web pages with dynamic data quickly with little code. It has a lot to offer to developers who need to get information from users and display that information to other users. It connects to many if not all external servers. It allows for a complex security system that gives the access to those that need it and restricts it to those that don't need or shouldn't have it.

Cons

It gets pretty complicated and the pricing just doubled. The application uses a lot of resources, so make sure your computer can handle it when you are dealing with a lot of data and controls. Ther server is stable, but I do need to restart it when I get a lot of users, maybe a once a week, I hope an update will fix that.

Great and Fastest App Development App

Pros

I have been using Alpha Software more than 10 years in various settings (from nonprofit to commercials). It requires very little knowledge to develop an app. The more you create DB apps, the better you get. The best part I like about alpha five is how interactive and less coding the development environment is.

Cons

Which X-basic was more interaction. Sometime I ran into issue with the builtin PDF printer on windows 2012 server. It does not work correctly. Also, I wish the web app development was as simple as creating desktop app.

MS Access to Alpha Anywhere Transition

I am an old MS Access dog and wanted to learn web/mobile development quickly. I tried many other tools but always ran into a wall. Alpha Anywhere is flexible and easy to get things done. As I learn more, I see many other features under the hood that allow me to refine and customize my apps. I believe I can accomplish any function with Alpha Anywhere without running into a wall. My first mobile development application for a schedule check in/out function for 50+ users has worked as intended. I continually improve and refine features as I learn more. I have also developed several dashboard applications using Google charts embedded in my Alpha Anywhere project. I highly recommend Alpha Anywhere.

Pros

Easy and flexibility

Cons

Documentation and finding the syntax for uncommon features.

Great for developers who prefer to work within one environment

I't our second development environment in 25 years. Five years ago we started using ist when we needed to make a switch to rewrite our business centres solution for web. Then it was a gamble. We never regretted that gamble

Pros

One tool for web and mobile on all platforms. Regular new features. Outstanding support. Always multiple options to skin the cat.

Cons

Documentation fragmented. Pricy (but bearable). Sales is a bit spamming.

Alpha Anywhere speeds up our web development cycle

Alpha Anywhere does a great job at very quickly getting a solution out into the wild. It's been great using it for years. Overall, it saves us a lot of time and let's complex features be implemented into our application with the click of a checkbox. It also gives us the power to be able to run custom code to make our application even more specialized to our needs.

Pros

Ease of use, speed to solution

Cons

Messy code is created, bugs exist in IDE, slow release cycle

Great Value - Web and Mobile with a single platform

I've used many development platforms and the Alpha Platform is one of my favorites. The product is affordable, flexible, and extremely powerful. The company stands behind their product and the service and support is exceptional. I would not hesitate to recommend this product to anyone looking to develop Web Applications and Mobile Applications.

Pros

Powerful, flexible, and affordable. A very unique combination to have all 3 in 1 platform

Cons

The XBasic backend. They have alternatives such as node.js but I have a .net background and so the first few months it takes a little bit to do any of the advanced stuff while you fumble around learning the equivalent syntax.

Right tool for the job

As a software developer, I am always looking for new tools to add to my toolbox, so that I have the right tools available for my customers. Alpha Anywhere is the best tool in my toolbox for Web and Mobile development. With the ease of use and broad range of features, I have been able to develop many systems for many customers more easily, quickly, and made my customers very happy. With the mobile capability, our company was able to develop a couple of mobile applications that we sell using the SaaS model.

Cons

The ability to rapidly build database software

Pros

The rate at which the product evolves and keeps up with what is current and relevant requirements in the business world

Cons

I am based in South Africa and the user base here is not as prominent as in the USA. More face to face developer interactions would have been great

Excelent software to create bussines Apps. Both for Mobile and for Desktop.

Pros

Extremly easy to start being productive. Extremely powerful when you become more expert. If you are trying to run away from MS Access this is the way to go.

Cons

It is huge, there are lots and lots of features and is evolving very fast. It is difficult to keep with all the new features.

A complete solution for desktop, web, SaaS and mobile application development in one package.

Everything you need in one package to develop desktop, web, mobile and SaaS applications at a very affordable price. Can get results in less time and with far less hand coding and headaches than any other solution out there.

Pros

Provides a one stop solution and a great environment and tools for every aspect of desktop, web, mobile and SaaS application development in one complete package. It especially shines in mobile application offline support. You can be hugely productive without writing any or very little code.

Cons

No drag and drop form designer (but has genies and other tools that make this much less of a problem once you understand it)

Fantastic development tool

This product makes mobile development quick and fairly easy. I can make certain types of form applications in hours as opposed to a day or two. It's a decent price, but good luck with support.

Pros

- Quick and easy to setup on a development machine - Lots of powerful tools at your hands - Makes mobile development easy to use and teach others to use - Free trial - Well worth the price

Cons

- Can be buggy at times - Support is limited

Thanks for your review! Glad you like the product. We're constantly working to improve support and response times. Thanks for the candid feedback.

Alpha Anywhere is our secret weapon

This software makes it so much faster to create beautiful mobile apps that are functional and user-friendly. VERY POWERFUL DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

Pros

Its ease and cost

Cons

a lot of bugs in releases

Great Tool

Alpha Anywhere has been a great tool for us. We are able to shorten our development time drastically and ship software quickly. The platform is wide-ranging and allows us to solve many niche problems that our customers face. Alpha's support is incredibly impressive. We usually get a same-day response/solution from them.

Pros

multi-platform, great support

Cons

the UI can be cumbersome at times

Easy to Use

Pros

Smooth sailing, Once setup it worked smoothly

Cons

Depends on very few developers, Limited with updates

Excellent Product

I've never seen a company that is so focused on the customer. Great product. I recommend this product to everyone.

Pros

Cons

Non that I can think of.

Select your country

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.