Kami Reviews

Suggested alternatives

learnworlds
absorb-lms
talentlms

It is evident that students gain more from hearing their teacher rather than just typing. There are so many other terrific features as well.
If I did not have Kami to teach remotely this would be a much more difficult year for my students and myself.
It was a little cumbersome, & I found it difficult to use with my students.
Sometimes the text boxes were hard to line up and size.

Jessica N.

Kami is The One App We Won't Go Without

As a technology TOSA and digital tools coach for the district, I've loved working with Kami. It's the means by which we collaborate, deliver much of our district PD, and engage a variety of audiences. Additionally, I've had the pleasure of working with many of Kami's executives, account managers, and trainers. Everyone has been a gem! Their availability, direction, ongoing training, and responsiveness have been an ongoing gift.

Pros

I love Kami's accessibility features! Students can now engage with their lessons with text, speech-to-text, text-to-speech, video, audio, or screencasts to demonstrate and showcase their learning and collaborate with peers. How amazing to have ONE tool that levels the playing field and provides scaffolds and differentiation tools for ALL students?! Moreover, it meets the diverse needs of our student body through language tools such as a multilingual dictionary, a robust list of voices and languages for the Read Aloud tool, and translatable menus and features. Our Student Services team, as well as our Dual Language Programs, could not do the work of meeting student needs or IEPs as well or efficiently without Kami.

Cons

I suppose if I had to find anything to like least about Kami, it would be having fewer resources in the Kami Library aimed at secondary levels.

sj

stella j.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Kami

I love working with Kami. It is a life saver for remote instruction and assessment.

Pros

What I love most about Kami is being able to do real time work and assessment with my students. The edit and drawing functions are great for math.

Cons

Sometimes the system lags and work written down disappears but this isn't a common problem. It might be an internet problem on my end.

JV

Jenie V.

Education Management, self-employed

Great Way to Bring PDFs to Life

My experience with Kami is completely positive. It is simple to use, really brings PDFs to life, and works great with G-suite.

Pros

I have been using Kami for several years, I really love that it brings PDFs to life and allows for annotation. this is super helpful when presenting in front of a group of participants. The other plus is that it is a simple add-on for Google Suite tools at no extra cost.

Cons

Honestly, the free version is excellent, no cons for me.

GZ

Grace Z.

Research, 10,001+ employees

Kami Features

Overall experience is good, I like the features and how the Kami extension allows to easily load documents that you want to edit into Kami.

Pros

Saves documents online instead of on device, can annotate and there are many colors

Cons

Saving changes are not always reliable, sometimes annotations don't sync or save, and you have to redo them.

AY

Alicia Y.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Kami for Virtual Learning

Pros

I love how much you are able to edit Kami and how easy it is to use. We have a variety of in-person and remote students. They need to be able to access the same content no matter where they are. Kami helps make this possible. Our program is also completely online, so being able to edit documents and use other tools (dictionary/pictures/etc.) is very helpful and engaging.

Cons

I don't have anything I don't like about Kami right now.

PF

Patricia F.

Kami is a super tool!

As a technology coach working with special education teachers, I find Kami invaluable for enhancing accessibility and fostering inclusive learning environments. Several tools increase accessibility, which benefits students with hearing, vision, and cognitive impairments. The ability to provide video and voice comments offers an alternative means of communication, such as signing. Kami's highlighting tool enhances color contrast and readability, making it easier for students with vision impairments to engage with textual content. Voice typing enables students to dictate their thoughts and ideas. Kami's emphasis on accessibility provides a platform that accommodates diverse learning needs and preferences.

Pros

There are many features I love about Kami! Some highlights are annotating a document, collaboration features, comment tools, integration with LMS, and of course, all of the accessibility features.

Cons

There are not many cons here, but one entirely understandable aspect is the limited features available for free access.

Brittany H.

Kami: An Integral Tool for Learning in NISD

Pros

With Kami, every online resource can become interactive! Kami's Canvas and Google Classroom Integration allow our teachers to not only send assignments to students, but quickly review and leave feedback on student work in real time. Kami's online creative tools allow our students to not only annotate digitally, but be producers by adding images, videos, and drawings on to their pages. Kami's feature control options put the power in the hands of the teacher as they turn on and off tools based on assignment. We LOVE Kami!

Cons

Any feature missing from Kami's tool based, has been added by the team at Kami. We would love if users could add pages anywhere in their work, not just at the bottom.

Lisa B.

Fantastic Classroom Tool For Blended Learning

Absolutely so simple to use! My students find it to be quick and easy to access. I am loving their pre-made templates. What a time saver! I highly recommend Kami.

Pros

I love the templates that are built in! Also, gives my students agency in that they have some control over the accessibility tools that they use.

Cons

I use the free version. I wish the premium was a little bit cheaper.

HA

Hope A.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Super Easy to Use!

Kami turns a regular worksheet into a digital worksheet. It is super easy to use. The students don't have to have a printer at home. They can upload their finished worksheet easily to google classroom. It made my life and my student's lives a lot simpler during our remote learning. I will definitely keep using this software when we are back in the classroom for homework assignments, etc.

Pros

I love that Kami works directly with Google Classroom. This software helped tremendously during remote learning this past year. The students can write directly on any worksheet or notes page. The students don't have to print out their worksheet or notes, they can fill it out using Kami. There are really cool writing features, such as text box, equation mode, mark up, and shapes. It's super easy to use!

Cons

This is hard to use with some math concepts. But, most of the time I was able to use it in my lesson plans.

MG

Margaret G.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Kami for high school students

Pros

Even though we no longer have remote learning for our students, I still share pdf docs with my students and Kami is lovely for my students to edit.

Cons

Teachers should have access to premium features without having to pay for them.

YM

Yvette M.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Accessible education for all students no matter where they are

I have promoted Kami to my school for the past several years now. At this very moment I have been seriously contemplating whether I was to invest the $100 to have all the features for the year. I am leaning towards YES....my school doesn't pay for this so it must come from my pocket. My school only uses the free version.

Pros

I really like that you can voice your corrections/responses/suggestions rather than constantly typing (voice annotation). It is evident that students gain more from hearing their teacher rather than just typing. There are so many other terrific features as well: - text to speech for those who need reading help - my favorite these days as I prepare for the coming school year is the Split and Merge...

Cons

I honestly only thing at this time the one feature I would love to have is the inclusion of measuring tools: protractor, compass, ruler. The writing tools are difficult for students who don't have pen tablets...BUT, they can upload photos of their work so that sort of makes up for that....the problem is teaching them how to do this.

LM

Lisa M.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Go paperless and enhance engagement with materials using Kami

Kami has been a lifesaver during virtual instruction, I honestly don't know how I could've survived without it. When we return to normal, I will still be going almost completely paperless. Not only is Kami a game changer, it is the most valuable teaching tool I've encountered in 29 years of teaching.

Pros

As a science teacher, I use a lot of diagrams. Because most of my materials are either Word documents or pdfs, I needed something that would maintain the integrity of the formatting when I pushed out to students to annotate on. Kami does this (and also integrates with PowerPoint, photos, Google slides and docs, and diagrams) but so much more! I can include audio, video, and screen capture comments...

Cons

There is currently no assessment mode but they're working on it to be released this year. I use it for my MS Word assessments but the kids use it the same way they would paper and pencil.

Thank you so much for your kind words, Lisa! We are glad to hear that you are finding Kami useful for your teaching process. And yes, our assessment mode is coming so please stay tuned! Warm wishes, The Kami Team

DD

Devin D.

Environmental Services, 1-10 employees

Kami is a great software for students to learn.

I think Kami is a great software. I think Its great because they give you so much potential to help yourself learn with their program. They give you access to almost everything you would have access to in a real classroom. They also respond very quickly with customer service questions which is wonderful because it doesnt leave you in a confused state on the software to where you cant use it for a bit, they simply explain the problem then give you a solution.

Pros

I liked the tools that they give to your disposal. They give you plenty of options on the top bar and side bar that allow a student to learn at the best of their ability. If they are reading and need to point something out they can easily pull up kami’s highlighter or if they need to sign a paper they can use kami’s signature option. Kami does a great job of helping students learn.

Cons

Signing on could be a bit of an issue with kami at times. If you just close your laptop while kami is still running i found issues where if you try to get back on it could be really slow and choppy for a couple of minutes before returning to its regular responsiveness. This isn’t a huge problem but can tend to get annoying at times.

LB

Lisa B.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Kami - Leveling the Playing Field

With the pandemic, this is a lifesaver. It is an easy way to get materials to students AND a great way to make connections, especially when asynchronous learning is taking place. Every opportunity you have to "show" your face, helps make connections to your students.

Pros

Kami offers a unique and fun way of equalizing all learners. It will read the text to students who have difficulty reading. It also allows students to answer via speech to text, audio, or video response! The teacher can add video (even of themselves!), audio, and stickers. Kami is a great alternative to traditional worksheets.

Cons

It does require you to teach your students how to use certain things. You can develop simple lessons the first week or so to "teach" them how to use Kami. They love to leave video comments, "write" in different colors, and pick up quickly to how to use it.

MP

Mike P.

Kami going paperless

Pros

The ability to go paperless. We are trying to use less paper and for the last 3 years, with Kami and Google tools, this has been a reality. Also, touch screen chrome books. I love the ability to link to google classroom, ease to assess as well as the dictionary and speech to text to name a few.

Cons

I would love it if more than one teacher could go on one license. Also, in elementary school, we have a max of 30 kids so 100 licences with one teacher aren't needed.

DB

Dierdre B.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

We couldn't do remote learning without Kami.

We love Kami!

Pros

We added Kami to our Google Workspace for our students and staff at school. We were forced to go remote a year ago and many of our resources are in PDF form. Our teachers were able to use their PDFs and online books with the use of Kami. Students could interact with the PDFs and books to show their learning and access the content. The tools that we love are the comment feature, drawing tools and text box.

Cons

We love that the Kami option pops up on most of our PDFs, but sometimes it doesn't. The student then has to click the extension which sometimes doesn't come up on the document.

DR

Dita R.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Kami makes my life easier...

Pros

Kami is a wonderful tool for working with students in Middle School. My students are able to use it to complete assignments easily and can share their work with me. Features that I love are the read aloud, annotations, and the dictionary tool.

Cons

Kami has some very powerful tools but they aren't always user-friendly or accessible. Often I forget about things that Kami can do because they aren't easily seen/evident.

KC

Kate C.

Libraries, 51-200 employees

Finally! I Can Annotate my .pdf Documents

I keep learning new things with Kami. I love that they keep advancing and improving. There are so many features to enhance learning and ease study.

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use. The sidebar of tools is user friendly and easy to navigate. The product has so many features to enhance student engagement. I love getting emails from the company when they are offering new features or added benefits. They are constantly improving.

Cons

I think Kami is the best software for annotating a .pdf.

PK

Priya K.

The capabilities of Kami

I can take any document and turn it into a Kami doc, which can include all subjects and teaching and learning styles.

Pros

I love this platform! I can take any pdf and turn it into a live document and use it in Google Classroom! It allows you to solve word searches, crosswords, and many other things without changing them!

Cons

I really can't think of any, but it has saved me hundreds of hours of lesson planning.

PC

Pam C.

E-Learning, 5,001-10,000 employees

Great for PDF files

While I really liked the features of Kami, the item I wanted most - the ability to add images, is only available on the paid version, and I can not afford that on my meager salary. My district purchased a similar program - Snap and Read which is much easier for students and since my district purchased it, my students and I can use it.

Pros

This program offers many things on the free version that are very helpful for students and teachers such as the ability to write on PDF documents, annotate on PDF documents, and add images (such as stickers) to student's writing on a PDF.

Cons

I found this program difficult to teach to students and it took a few tries before students understood how to use the program and how to take their completed document and turn it in through Google Classroom. I feel the price for the full version is too expensive for many schools, including my own. My school doesn't get Title 1 funds, yet we are not in an affluent area either.

JJ

Jessica J.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

This ptogram is amazing for virtual or in person learning!

I have recommended it to every teacher in my building!

Pros

I have pdf assignments that I use with students in small group. I assign the PDFs to google classroom and the students will open them with kami. Kami allows them to write, type, and draw on the pdf. We work in small groups to complete the pdf work and then, the click the Turn In button on Kami. I get their completed work on my Kami so that I can see what the students have produced.

Cons

I love everything about this program. There is even a chrome extension!

MZ

Mary Z.

Kami Use in Remote Learning

If I did not have Kami to teach remotely this would be a much more difficult year for my students and myself! Thank you!

Pros

The use of Kami has been invaluable to teaching special education students remotely during this pandemic. I use it daily in the general education setting and small group pull out settings for all subjects. Uploading and annotating is seamless. The fact that it saves it is a huge plus!

Cons

Honestly it serves the purpose and more!

KC

Karen C.

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

Kami an easy way to write on a pdf

Students were able to watch me use Kami and were able to complete assignments using Kami , edit them and send them back to me for review.

Pros

Kami is easy to use for distance teaching and learning. I can share a kami doc and Annotate it during a google meet. My students can easily follow along from home or in person. They can in turn work on a kami doc and share it back to me for review. A great help during this past year.

Cons

It was a bit of a challenge to start but got easier with practice, Students needed time to work with the tools and the text boxes are a little tricky to place.

LO

Linda O.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Go Paperless!

I can be good to the environment and go paperless! I no longer need hard copies or various digital files to merge colleagues' edit requests. In my capacity, I use Kami to share school brochure files with colleagues and they provide their feedback and request edits before the files are finalized and printed. It is ideal in that all colleagues that I share the file with can make comments on the same file/same version.

Pros

It’s paperless! Users can share files with multiple people for review, feedback, and edit requests. It's easy to use.

Cons

Users need to pay a premium for advanced features. Users can’t effectively use it on their cellphone. Also, if the notes feedback from colleagues is long, the comment can go onto the next page and it can be confusing as to what they’re referring to. For instance, a comment that pertains to page 1 can spill onto page 2 and it can be confusing as to what page it belongs to.

KK

Karen K.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Using Kami in the classroom

This was great for me as a teacher as it offered me the opportunity to complete the same assignments in person as well as online. The different functions were great! I found it easy to understand, even if it was a little tedious to use.

Pros

My district purchased Kami for teachers to use when we had to offer virtual instruction during covid. It was great that it integrated well with google classroom. It allowed for assigning pdf assignments and having students answer on the document. There were lots of options. I could have students type in answers, draw, color, annotate, highlight, etc. This was super helpful!!

Cons

My students hated Kami. It had a lot of functionality, but was still tedious to use for a whole assignment. I don't know how to make it easier. I also had to do a hands on training with my students to help them learn how to use the different applications.