All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Carta

Equity management solution for public & private firms

visit website

Carta Reviews

Ben B.

Kevin C.

Read the full review

Cons

The setup is beyond painful. The support staff are incredibly arrogant and everything about your business has to fit around Carta.

Richard C.

Jeff L.

Read the full review
I'm at the point where I'm inclined to curse out the next sales employee that asks me what these Carta notifications are for.

Sho L.

4.4

Super easy to keep track of my stock options

Overall it is simple and easy to use and makes it easy for a company with a large number of employees to keep track of which people have which vested stock options.

Pros

Love how Carta automatically updates me as to when I have more vested options and shows a progress bar as to how far I still have to go for all of my stock options to vest.

Cons

No complaints but I probably haven't used this software at a deep enough level to truly find anything difficult or something to dislike about this software.

Eshares to Carta

We started with Carta when it was Eshares. Prior to using this software we were tracking everything in an excel spreadsheet which was a complete cluster. Now we can easily pull reports for information on the shareholders. The only difficulty I have encountered is the lack of a report that my auditors will accept without manipulation from myself. Still way better than manual tracking.

Pros

The ease with which data can be entered

Cons

Reports for Audit purposes can be painful

Love-Hate Relationship with Carta

I have nothing else to compare Carta to, so I don't even know how to respond. On a positive note, I suppose I can list 'Carta' as a skill on my resume, though I don't know whether I would want to deal with Carta ever again if I seek different employment.

Pros

When I have issues with this software (which is often), Carta's support team is usually very responsive and will work with me on the issue. The software itself works fine, I guess, as it rarely has technical problems. The offered tutorial does help, and I appreciate the Carta team for putting the tutorial together.

Cons

Not very intuitive to use! A major part is requiring a good foundation in securities and stock options knowledge, which I clearly do not have. One HUGE gripe I have with Carta is that there is no quick way to bulk update a set of option grants, but rather I have to go into EACH option grant, upload the document I need to upload, add a note of what I am updating, wait for 5 seconds for the update...

Great equity management system

Overall, this system makes it really easy to understand your equity.

Pros

Overall, Carta makes it really easy to not only view your holdings, but each individual grant and what has vested. It also allows you to exercise options that are available to you.

Cons

Our company went through a re-price so all old grants had to be cancelled and reissued. It's not easy to tell which grants are active vs which ones are voided.

Stock Options Made Easy

Pros

Carta helps us track all of our company's stock options in one place, providing simple reports and instant changes to our cap table.

Cons

Changes to Stakeholders now require more steps than they did in the previous format, it is a bit more time consuming when making a lot of changes.

I like Carta

Understanding my options and RSU holding, their vesting schedules

Pros

Carta is easy to understand, find information, and understand where you are in the vesting process.

Cons

I think the vesting informaiton needs to be presented in not only column format but graphically represented also

Simple way to manage equity in a startup.

Pros

It's easy to see when I can exercise shares, and it's easy to see my current holdings.

Cons

It's such a bare website. I would like some more features, maybe educationally-focused links and ways to track the value of the shares, if there is any information.

Easy way to manage stock options

Overall I have had a positive experience with Carta and am glad it exists to easily manage stock options.

Pros

Their documentation and blog are very helpful in understanding all the terms and nuance of stock options.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like - the software does a solid job servicing our need for managing stock options.

Good Cap Table Management Software

Pros

Carta is a very cool cap table management software with various functionality answering the majority of the needs of a startup for this kind of software. The UX is very nice and easy to use.

Cons

One of the downside of Carta is its CS. As long as everything is working it's perfect but when you need their CS you will have to wait a long time before your problem is resolved

Easy for users, simple interface

Very seamless and straightforward. Positive experience for end users, and helps feel like the equity system is more legitimate within our company.

Pros

Uncluttered user interface. Very obvious where to click & navigate. It's nice to track my overall equity and individual grants. The best feature is the ability to simply forecast overall share allotments across varying vesting schedules.

Cons

There isn't a robust feature set beyond the basics to track your equity, but I'm not sure how much more I would need for that.

Huge timesaver, great value and has improved continuously over time

Pros

It solved a hugely expensive problem very easily (I used to have to manage our cap table in excel, print out paperwork and issue my own stock certificates. However, every time I look at software options, I was stuck going back to the same system. Using lawyers is truly insane cost-wise, so we manged it in-house. I talked to users of all competitive products and every single one noted errors in those...

Cons

When we first started using it (nearly 5 years ago), we found a few bugs in accounting reporting on edge cases (we had a couple outlier cases unusual for a company of our size at the time ). The Carta team quickly made adjustments to their software to resolve the problems however (and have continued to respond quickly to feedback).

Once top shop for cap table management

Pros

Very easy to use Option grants to employees are all done through the software There are reports for all our needs, from stock based comp calculations, min disclosure for financial statement audits, etc... Customer support is top notch. Chat feature allows you to live chat support team with minimal wait time.

Cons

Reports take a very long time to populate and the files can be extremely large. Some report files are over 20 MB's

Great App for Managing Private Equity

Overall, it's been awesome using Carta. It's a great tool to manage private equity. I'd highly recommend this.

Pros

- Keeps track of multiple companies in a singular account - Great data visualization tools for exercised vs. vested, etc. - Repository for pertinent documentation

Cons

- Mobile application is lacking some features that the web app has (i.e. documentation repo). - Sometime difficult to understand the workflow required to accomplish a task. There are multiple ways to do the same thing, which can leave the user feeling a bit lost at times.

Imposible to use because its always so SLOW

The CEO's and law firms that use it seem to be happy with it, as an investor user, I literally cringe every time we get a new stock cert from Carta because it takes so long to do antying.

Pros

In theory, it should be easy to manage our portfolio of over 50 different holdings.

Cons

We are investors, not issuers. As investors, we have 3 big issues. A). The site is SO SLOW, I literally end up e-mailing the portfolio company to ask for the information. B) The UX for the portfolio is nonsensical. For example, if you accept a certificate, you are not taken to the holding,s rather to some summary page from which you then have to search for what you just accepted and if you are not in the right "portfolio", it doesn't show up. C) Carta makes it very difficult for one to keep a backup.

For a Start-up, this is a great tool to manage your equity

Overall, Carta Equity Management allows us to track and record equity along with sharing the information with the employees. It also provides us the reports to book the quarterly stock based compensation.

Pros

Carta is fairly easy to navigate, as the administrator I can answer questions employees may have as far as vesting and their options.

Cons

Some of the reports are not easily identifiable, you have to select the options you want when running the report.

Great Cap Table Management and Scenario Modeling

Overall, I am very happy with Carta.

Pros

I love having an up-to-date Cap Table at all times and being able to model exit and funding round scenarios quickly. Integrated stock ledger and 409A valuations are a plus, too. I plan to implement investor and board communication into the platform this year.

Cons

I wish the scenario modeling provided optionality around convertible notes. But the file outputs allowed me to manipulate the data once in excel very easily. And they were presentation ready.

Easy way to monitor employee stock options

Overall, Carta has been a useful tool for managing and visualizing my employee stock benefits.

Pros

I'm not a finance expert, nor a lawyer. That's why I like Carta so much for managing my employee stock benefits. It keeps all the records and information in a single place that I can access easily, along with helpful guides and tutorials for what everything means. I also really like the interactive vesting schedule/option exercise calculator. They are both quite helpful in visualizing stock benefits.

Cons

I don't really have a complaint about Carta other than I wish it integrated with other employee benefits platforms, like Justworks. Obviously Carta is much more specialized than Justworks, and there are probably legal/security reasons it is separate, but it would be cool to have everything in one place.

Step by step and very informative

Pros

I like how for every piece of information, Carta has detailed explanations for it. It's great for new people who are not familiar with how option grants work. Interface is clean, and I like the different animations when you sign or purchase grants. Also like the monthly email about the vesting progress.

Cons

Don't really have any problems with the software. I am just a user of the tool with very limited permissions. There is not much I can do on the site.

Not sure how I should be using except once a year...

Very nice UI. Seems intuitive.

Pros

The UI is very slick. Easy to navigate. I'm sure when Carta is relevant to me, it will be easy to use.

Cons

Don't really know how I'm supposed to interact with it. Not sure if that's my company's fault or Carta's customer success team... All I know is one day I'll have RSU's in there and it will become more relevant.

User friendly

Pros

I was able to buy stocks through my company with just a couple of e-signatures.

Cons

It was lacking in some features. The time it took to get my stocks was a couple of days but that may have been on my HR side.

Carta Review

I enjoy using Carta, and hope I can continue to use it and continue to grow equity.

Pros

I love having everything in one place, and easy to use, purchase and organize all of my grants and vested stock.

Cons

I wish that I could use some sort of market value prediction tool, as well as have deductions from my paycheck taken out to be used for stock.

Very Easy Management of Company Shares

I have loved that I can see all of my equity in the company and when the stock vests.

Pros

I love being able to go in and see how many shares I have, how many have vested, and when the next shares will vest. It has a portfolio section as well that shows how many shares will vest and on what day those shares vest. Overall, it is a very simple program for the user and (from what I have heard) very easy to set everything up on as a company.

Cons

I hope that one day Carta will get into other markets to allow you to invest in other private companies. I feel like they have a great platform and would be good at adding a feature like this.

Stocks in One Place!

Overall, no major issues with Carta. Makes the stock options piece of my job easier to manage and communicate.

Pros

I really like using Carta to manage our stock options for employees. I find it simple to use both for administrators as well as employees who are creating accounts and reviewing options.

Cons

Sometimes I find the reports are tedious to complete because there are many options to select. Sometimes it does take some time to make multiple changes.

Simplifies confusing information

Pros

I've used Carta through multiple companies and I love how it takes complex legal language and breaks it down for you to simply understand and visualize in its predictive outcomes.

Cons

I don't have any negative input. The software does exactly what I'd hope it would.

Great for users

Pros

Easily see all investments with my current company. Easy to read and understand. I get an email each month with updated vested shares.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time. Will see when I am fully vested.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.